• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51HKXGqGbTL.jpg

Monk -- Remastered CD

Thelonious Monk with Sonny Rollins and Frank Foster

1954/1982 Prestige/OJC Records

Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins, Plus a French Horn November 25, 2011
By karlojazz
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase
There are a total of seven tracks on this CD, three recorded on November 13, 1953 with Sonny Rollins playing tenor sax with Thelonious Monk on piano and four recorded on May 11, 1954 with Frank Foster playing tenor sax with Monk on the piano. Because trumpet player Ray Copeland was unavailable for the 1953 session, Julius Watkins substituted for him on French horn. Copeland does play trumpet on the 1954 session, however. Other differences between the two sessions worth noting: on the earlier session Percy Heath plays bass and Willie Jones plays drums; on the later session Curly Russell is on bass and the great Art Blakey plays drums. Except for track 2, which is a well-known standard, all compositions are by Thelonious Monk.

The track listing is as follows:

1.We See (5:13)
2.Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (4:30)
3.Locomotive (6:20)
4.Hackensack (5:10)
5.Let's Call This (4:58)
6.Think of One (take 2) (5:40)
7.Think of One (take 1) (5:36)

Tracks 5-7 are from the November 1953 session; all other tracks were recorded in May 1954.

According to jazz critic Peter Niklas Wilson, despite the last-minute participation of Watkins, the Friday the 13th session "... produced worthy material. An ensemble sound as unusual as it is enjoyable is gained through the use of the French horn, which binds the unweildly sounds of Monk and Rollins into a homogenous whole. Julius Watkins is a gem of a soloist. In 'Think of One,' Rollins is clearly trying to heed Monk's challenge to derive his improvisation from the theme; this is probably one of the roots of the 'thematic improvisation' that became a hall mark of his solos."

Although Frank Foster is certainly not as widely known or praised as Sonny Rollins, his performance on tenor sax is a welcome addition to the 1954 ensemble's renditions of three tunes by Monk as well as the standard, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable CD with the playing of Watkins an unusual bonus feature. Highly recommended for all fans of both Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins.

51pwed1bcbL.jpg

For Hamp, Red, Bags and Cal -- CD

Gary Burton

2001 Concord Records

It is only logical that Gary Burton, the modern master of the vibraphone, should pay tribute to the giants of his instrument in the past. With this set, Burton offers homage to Lionel Hampton (Hamp), Red Norvo, Milt Jackson (Bags), and Cal Tjader by performing and updating their greatest signature tunes. Burton has long been recognized as having culminated all the developments of these past masters into his own virtuoso style. Here he expertly displays these abilities on the very pieces that inspired him along the way.The disc mainly alternates between sophisticated Latin grooves, as in the opening classic "Afro Blue," and traditional swing numbers like Hampton's great "Flying Home." Burton shows the uncanny ability to be both a technical wizard, employing a flurrying barrage of four-mallet technique, and to swing unrelentingly. Cuts like the old fashioned "Back Home Again In Indiana" and Denzil Best's swinger "Move" exhibits these abilities to the fullest. In the end, the two most intriguing tracks are the ending tributes to Red Norvo, the ragtime "Hole in the Wall" and the impressionistic "Dance of the Octopus," which find Burton performing on xylophone and marimba, respectively.

Track Listing
1. Afro Blue (Cal)
2. Bags' Groove (Bags)
3. Move (Red)
4. Midnight Sun (Hamp)
5. Flying Home (Hamp)
6. Django (Bags)
7. Back Home Again in Indiana (Red)
8. Body and Soul (Cal)
9. Godchild (Red)
10. Joao (Cal)
11. Hole in the Wall (Red)
12. Dance of the Octopus (Red)

Personnel: Gary Burton (vibraphone, marimba, xylophone); Russell Malone (guitar); Mulgrew Miller, Makoto Ozone, Danilo Perez (piano); Christian McBride, John Patitucci (bass); Horacio Hernandez, Lewis Nash (drums); Luis Quintero (percussion).Recorded at Avatar Studio C, New York, New York on May 11, 23 & 24, 2000 and at Berklee Recording Studio, Boston, Massachusetts on June 3, 2000. Includes liner notes by Neil Tesser."Move" was nominated for the 2002 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo.

3cdc62e89da0a4656ff04110_zps3dc66dfa.jpg

Creme de la Creme - Gourmet Selections From Sheffield Labs -- CD

Various Artists

1984 Sheffield Labs/JVC Records

Track Listing
1. Amanda - Lincoln Mayorga/Amanda McBroom
2. The - Sheffield Track Record Higher You Rise
3. Blackbird - Distinguished Colleagues/Lincoln Mayorga
4. Gone Buttlefishin' - James Newton Howard
5. Cripple Creek Break-Down - Dave Grusin
6. Corner Pocket - Harry James & His Big Band
7. I've Got the Music in Me - Thelma Houston
8. Pearl Grey - Adam Makowicz
9. What Is Hip - Tower of Power
10. Gossamer - Lincoln Mayorga/Amanda McBroom

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

9384c060ada0f0fe901d9110.L.jpg

Simpatico -- CD

Suzy Boggus & Chet Atkins

1994 Liberty Records

Too bad this one's Out Of Print
, January 18, 2007
By J. M. Jacobs "Just one man's opinion..." (East Helena, MT, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

Here is a disc that will remind you why just about everybody loved Chet Atkins. Like so many other artists, Chet helped Suzy Bogguss get her start. From working together, Chet tried to help her get a recording contract. No takers. So one day he called her up and asked her if she'd like to tour with him. After her exposure on the tour, she was offered a recording contract almost immediately. Then Chet and Suzy decided they'd like to do an album together and what an effort it turned out to be!

The smoothness of Suzy's voice is in perfect harmony with Chet's smooth playing in that spare, "just right" style he had. The production allows Suzy's singing and Chet's playing to be present in the mix and even to an untrained ear they sound exceptional.

This album is a good example of what's happening to high quality older recordings in the music industry today. As good as this one is, it should be judged a classic and never go out of print. However because not many people even know about it, you have to do like I did and search it out from a second hand source. By my humble judgment, it was easily worth the effort.

"In the Jailhouse Now" (Jimmie Rodgers) – 3:11
"When She Smiled at Him" (Joanie Beeson, Michael Johnson) - 3:06
"Forget About It" (R. L. Kass) - 4:22
"Wives Don't Like Old Girlfriends" (Shane Fontayne, Randy VanWarmer) - 4:12
"Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" (Elton John, Bernie Taupin) - 3:59
"Two Shades of Blue" (Deborah Allen, Bobby Braddock, Rafe VanHoy) - 3:25
"One More for the Road" (Atkins, Bogguss, Doug Crider) - 4:26
"I Still Miss Someone" (Johnny Cash, Roy Cash Jr.) - 3:40
"You Bring Out the Best in Me" (Bogguss, Crider, Steve Dorff) - 3:34
"This Is the Beginning" (Pat Donohue) - 5:12

956641.jpg

Time and Time Again -- CD

Paul Motian - Bill Frisell - Joe Lovano

2007 ECM Records

By NENAD GEORGIEVSKI, 2008

There's always magic in the air whenever Paul Motian , Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano get together and this album is no exception. A sequel to the brilliant I Have the Room Above Her (ECM, 2005), this is another master painting by these fine artists. Jazz has always favored individual voices and expressionism, and these players have proven themselves undisputed masters on their instruments. But jazz also favors teamwork, something that is definitely evident on Time and Time Again. Several decades on, the musical partnership between drummer Motian, saxophonist Lovano and guitarist Frisell is stronger than ever.

Since no bass or piano is used here, whatever the band tries to express is done in a reflective and calm manner. Contemplation is the key word. The musicians create an alluring aural palette that mesmerizes, mystifies and beguiles. They breathe throughout as one organism, building subtle layers on tracks such as the meditative "Cambodia" and "Light Blue," shifting harmonic constructions seamlessly on the raucous "OneTwo" and wandering lonely towards the spontaneous improvisation "In Remembrance of Things Past." "Wednesday" has some beautiful whirling sax melodies, with Motian's elegant brushes sounding like birds' wings. The overall setting is perfect for Frisell's relaxed, lyric style, his guitar providing beautiful tapestries. All of the compositions have an ethereal and fluid quality, thus giving an impression of almost effortless improvisational mastery.

From the opening of "Cambodia" until the closing title track, the compositions have a strange and creative dreaminess about them. One moment things are sneakily avant-garde, the next, conservatively lyrical. As a collective experiment in spontaneous collaboration, Time and Time Again is a great success.

Track listing

1. Cambodia
2. Wednesday
3. Onetwo
4. Whirlpool
5. In Remembrance of Things Past
6. K.T.
7. This Nearly Was Mine
8. Party Line
9. Light Blue
10. Time and Time Again

086f810ae7a0f18a33ee8110.L.jpg

Dark Side of The Moon -- 24k Gold CD

Pink Floyd

1973/1990 Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc II (UDCD 517)

The Dark Side of the Moon - MFSL Gold Version,
April 4, 2007
By Bret A. Dagostino "BD"
This review is from: Dark Side of the Moon (Audio CD)

This recording speaks for itself in terms of production quality; this is a long-standing reference recording. The MFSL Gold CD version of this CD is EXCELLENT. I have been a part of the ultra high-end audio industry for over 30 years and only listen to reference quality systems; this transfer is incredibly well done. There are no gain (volume issues) or any lack of resolution in any area. I don't think the performance advantages over the standard and SACD versions are subtle. This is well worth the investment, and becoming rare. Buy it while its available ~

Side one

No. Title Writer(s) Lead vocals Length
1. "Speak to Me" Mason Instrumental 1:30
2. "Breathe" Waters, Gilmour, Wright Gilmour 2:43
3. "On the Run" Gilmour, Waters Instrumental 3:36
4. "Time" (containing "Breathe (Reprise)") Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour Gilmour, Wright 7:01
5. "The Great Gig in the Sky" Wright, Clare Torry[nb 12] Clare Torry 4:36

Side two

No. Title Writer(s) Lead vocals Length
1. "Money" Waters Gilmour 6:22
2. "Us and Them" Waters, Wright Gilmour, Wright 7:46
3. "Any Colour You Like" Gilmour, Mason, Wright Instrumental 3:25
4. "Brain Damage" Waters Waters 3:48
5. "Eclipse" Waters Waters 2:03

PaulyT said:
Nice! That Dvorak 9th is one of my all-time favorite pieces of symphonic music.

Mine too, I have at least two other versions. Last weekend I was doing household stuff with PBS in the background, and this piece (by a different orch) came on, full Surround Sound. I couldn't find on the web who it was, but looked thru Amazon and found this disk; love it!

31K5Gl4wl2L.jpg

The Long Run -- CD

Eagles

1979/1990 Elektra Records

Side one

"The Long Run" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey) – 3:42
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Slide guitar by Joe Walsh and Don Felder
Guitar Solo by Joe Walsh
Organ by Don Felder
"I Can't Tell You Why" (Timothy B. Schmit, Henley, Frey) – 4:56
Lead vocal by Timothy B. Schmit
Guitar solos by Glenn Frey (played by Don Felder in live performance)
Fender Rhodes Piano by Glenn Frey
Organ by Joe Walsh
"In the City" (Joe Walsh, Barry De Vorzon) – 3:46
Lead vocal by Joe Walsh
Slide guitar by Joe Walsh
"The Disco Strangler" (Don Felder, Henley, Frey) – 2:46
Lead vocal by Don Henley
"King of Hollywood" (Henley, Frey) – 6:28
Lead vocals by Don Henley & Glenn Frey
First guitar solo by Glenn Frey
Second guitar solo by Don Felder
End guitar solo by Joe Walsh

Side two

"Heartache Tonight" (Henley, Frey, Bob Seger, J.D. Souther) – 4:27
Lead vocal by Glenn Frey
Slide guitar by Joe Walsh
"Those Shoes" (Felder, Henley, Frey) – 4:57
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Talk box guitars by Joe Walsh & Don Felder
Solo by Joe Walsh
"Teenage Jail" (Henley, Frey, Souther) – 3:44
Lead vocals by Glenn Frey & Don Henley
Synthesizer solo by Glenn Frey
Guitar solo by Don Felder
"The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" (Henley, Frey) – 2:21
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Background vocals by "The Monstertones" featuring Jimmy Buffett
"The Sad Café" (Henley, Frey, Walsh, Souther) – 5:35
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Guitar solo by Don Felder
Alto saxophone by David Sanborn

Today's work truck music....

album-one-night-of-sin.jpg

One Night Of Sin -- CD

Joe Cocker

1989 Capitol Records

Full of Cocker rockers and ballads., November 1, 2000
By Anthony Accordino (Massapequa Park, New York United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: One Night of Sin (Audio CD)

Joe Cocker's "One Night Of Sin" was not only one of Joe's more popular modern day albums but showed the english soul shouter in fine vintage form with his voice as strong as ever. The top ten smash "When The Night Comes" is just the beginning of an album loaded with top notch songs. Producer Charlie Midnight really gets Joe rocking on tunes like"Just To Keep From Drowning" and "Bad Bad Sign"[not to many modern day singers can match this vocal performance]. Long time musical friend Chris Stainton is back on keyboards providing that hard driving piano sound that was so prominent during their Maddogs and Englishman heyday. Joe also belts out great covers of "Fever" and "Iv'e Got To Use My Imagination". The ballads on this cd are sung in typical gut wrenching Joe cocker style. A truly solid musical effort not to be missed.

"When the Night Comes" - 5:20 (Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance, Diane Warren)
"I Will Live for You" - 4:11 (Stephen Allen Davis)
"I've Got to Use My Imagination" - 4:24 (Gerry Goffin, Barry Goldberg)
"Letting Go" - 4:11 (Charlie Midnight, Jimmy Scott)
"Just to Keep from Drowning" - 4:39 (Marshall Chapman, Stephen Allen Davis)
"Unforgiven" - 3:28 (Tim Hardin, Ken Lauber)
"Another Mind Gone" - 4:44 (Cocker, Levine, Chris Stainton)
"Fever" - 3:37 (Eddie Cooley, Otis Blackwell, John Davenport)
"You Know We're Gonna Hurt" - 3:59 (Rick Boston, Nick Gilder)
"Bad Bad Sign" - 4:09 (Dan Hartman, Charlie Midnight)
"I'm Your Man" - 3:52 (Leonard Cohen)
"One Night of Sin" - 3:14 (Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King, Anita Steinman)

51S9mdnTPZL.jpg

Caliente! -- CD

Gato Barbieri

1986 A&M Records

Believe it or not, this Argentinian-born saxophonist spent his early years playing in the jazz avant-garde with the likes of Don Cherry. But for all his free-form experiments, "the Cat" hit his stride with this pristine piece of seminal pop-jazz. His emotional, warm-blooded playing, gritty-sweet tone, and Latin-laced grooves slide down smooth and easy. Covers of Santana's "Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)" and Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" remain faithful to the originals' vibe, yet take on a seductive Spanish accent thanks to Barbieri's expressive tenor and a battery of Latin percussion. Elsewhere, hip-swiveling rhythms and tuneful arrangements of cuts like "Fiesta," "Behind the Rain," and "Los Desperados" simply simmer. Drummer Lenny White kicks down a rock-solid beat, percussionists Ralph MacDonald and Mtume add the spice that's funky and nice, and producer Herb Alpert (of Tijuana Brass, and the "A" in A&M Records) polishes the proceedings to a glossy sheen with colorful orchestrations and silky strings.

Track Listing
1. Fireflies
2. Fiesta
3. Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)
4. Don't Cry Rochelle
5. Adios (Part 1)
6. I Want You
7. Behind the Rain
8. Los Desperados
9. Adios (Part 2)

Personnel: Gato Barbieri (tenor saxophone); Eddy Martinez (keyboards); Don Grolnick (keyboards, synthesizer); Eric Gale, David Spinozza, Joe Beck (guitar); Gary King (bass); Lenny White (drums); Ralph McDonald, Cachete Maldonado, Mtume (percussion).Additional personnel: Marvin Stamm, Bernie Glow, Randy Brecker, Irvin Markowitz (trumpet); Wayne Andre, David Taylor, Paul Faulise (trombone); Alfred Brown, David Nadien, Charles McCracken, Theodore Israel, Matthew Raimondi, Harry Cykman, Harry Glickman, Alan Shulman, Max Ellen, Harold Kohon, Max Pollikoff, Harry Lookofsky, Paul Gershman (strings).Recorded at A&R Studios, New York

61vGO85iiOL.jpg

Two Worlds One Heart -- CD

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

1990 Warner Bros. Records

Few artists specializing in a cappella performances have enjoyed the commercial success of Ladysmith Black Mambazo, one of the most respected groups in South Africa. Singing to instruments for a change, Ladysmith gave its followers quite a surprise with the eclectic Two Worlds, One Heart, one of the most ambitious and eclectic albums it has ever done. The songs employing instruments range from the vibrant "Township Jive" to "Scatter the Fire" (a blend of synth-funk and African chanting that group leader Joseph Shabalala produced with American funkster George Clinton) to the doo wop-influenced "Love Your Neighbor." More typical of Ladysmith, songs like "Ofana Naye," "Cothoza Mfana" and "Emhlabeni" contain a cappella singing that blends South African sensibilities with the fervor of an African-American church choir. This is one of the most ambitious albums Ladysmith has ever done, and its risk-taking pays off handsomely. ~ Alex Henderson

Track Listing
1. Township Jive
2. Ofana Naye :: Nobody Like Him
3. Bala Ubhale :: Count And Write
4. Love Your Neighbor
5. Leaning on the Everlasting Arm
6. Rejoice
7. Ngalesiskhathi :: Not Right Now
8. Emhlabeni :: In This World
9. Isikhathi Siyimali :: Time Is Money
10. Nami Ngaze Ngathola :: I Found Him
11. Ngomnyango :: By The Door
12. Scatter the Fire
13. Cothoza Mfana :: Tip Toes Guy

Dennie said:

Simpatico -- CD

1994 Liberty Records

, January 18, 2007
By J. M. Jacobs "Just one man's opinion..." (East Helena, MT, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

Here is a disc that will remind you why just about everybody loved Chet Atkins. Like so many other artists, Chet helped Suzy Bogguss get her start. From working together, Chet tried to help her get a recording contract. No takers. So one day he called her up and asked her if she'd like to tour with him. After her exposure on the tour, she was offered a recording contract almost immediately. Then Chet and Suzy decided they'd like to do an album together and what an effort it turned out to be!

The smoothness of Suzy's voice is in perfect harmony with Chet's smooth playing in that spare, "just right" style he had. The production allows Suzy's singing and Chet's playing to be present in the mix and even to an untrained ear they sound exceptional.

This album is a good example of what's happening to high quality older recordings in the music industry today. As good as this one is, it should be judged a classic and never go out of print. However because not many people even know about it, you have to do like I did and search it out from a second hand source. By my humble judgment, it was easily worth the effort.

** Suzy is a home town girl.
We used to see her sing in a small tavern here in the city on weekends before she left for Nashville.
She sounded great even back then . . .

Today's work truck music....

f21d793509a0f3c04e113110.L.jpg

Kamakiriad -- CD

Donald Fagen

1993 Reprise Records

Fagen's Cool Concept Album, July 24, 2002
By Alan Caylow (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)

Donald Fagen's 2nd solo album, 1993's "Kamakiriad," came darn close to being released as a Steely Dan album---Fagen's old Dan co-hort, Walter Becker, produced the album, plays guitar on it, and co-wrote the song "Snowbound," t'boot. But since Fagen practically wrote everything else for the album on his own, "Kamakiriad" was ultimately released as a Donald Fagen solo album (and the official return of Steely Dan would have to wait until 2000's "Two Against Nature"). But no matter---this "almost Steely Dan" album is simply terrific, filled with all of the high trademark qualities you'd expect in the music of a Dan man. It's a cool mixture of cocktail jazz/pop, featuring Fagen's hip vocals, cookin' guitars, fat drums, smooth keyboards, happenin' horns, and, for the cherry on top, great sound & production that's very crisp. Not only that, but "Kamakiriad" is a cool *concept* album, telling the story of an Everyman living sometime in the future, who takes off for a spin in his technological wonder car of the 21st century, the Kamakiri, and has several adventures along the way. Being a single album rather than a double, the storyline for "Kamakiriad" may be a lot thinner than, say, The Who's "Tommy" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall," but I don't think Fagen was trying to compete with these double-album rock epics, and the story he tells here is nice & simple, to the point, and a lot of fun, just like the songs themselves.So, hop in the car, hit the "Trans-Island Skyway," admire the "Countermoon," take your pick of "Tomorrow's Girls," chill out "On The Dunes," and head out to that "Teahouse On The Tracks." Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad" is a wonderful ride.

"Trans-Island Skyway" (Fagen) – 6:30
"Countermoon" (Fagen) – 5:05
"Springtime" (Fagen) – 5:06
"Snowbound" (Walter Becker, Fagen) – 7:08
"Tomorrow's Girls" (Fagen) – 6:17
"Florida Room" (Fagen, Libby Titus) – 6:02
"On the Dunes" (Fagen) – 8:07
"Teahouse on the Tracks" (Fagen) – 6:09

topper said:
Dennie said:

Simpatico -- CD

1994 Liberty Records

, January 18, 2007
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

** Suzy is a home town girl.
We used to see her sing in a small tavern here in the city on weekends before she left for Nashville.
She sounded great even back then . . .

Good stuff Topper! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

It is a fun album and recommended if you don't have it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

9e33228348a0156cb44b2110.L.jpg

Earth Run -- CD

Lee Ritenour

1986 GRP Records

Dedicated to the First Earth Run, in which runners circled the globe for peace in 1986, Ritenour's 16th solo album was performed on a variety of nine different guitars, counting the peculiarly fuzzy, futuristic sound of the synthaxe. For reasons having little to do with that, and far more to do with more musical playing by Rit, better material and L.A. sessionmen on their game, this is a more interesting record than most of its immediate predecessors. The standout cut here is a welcome cover of Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly; " also worthy of note are the techno-fried quasi-salsa in "The Sauce" and the title cut. Among some of the musicians who appear in the mix are Dave and Don Grusin, Ernie Watts (heard to better effect than usual on Rit's '80s albums), Carlos Vega and Paulinho Da Costa. The sessions sound too processed to allow for much spontaneity, but the Ritenour funk chops do appear more often and more effectively here. The CD version contains an extra tune, "Hero." ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Soaring
2. Earth Run
3. If I'm Dreaming (Don't Wake Me)
4. Watercolors
5. The Sauce
6. Butterfly
7. Hero
8. Sanctuary
9. Water from the Moon

Personnel: Lee Ritenour (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, classical guitar, synthesizer); Maurice White, Phil Perry, Tommy Funderburk (vocals); Ernie Watts (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Tom Scott (saxophone, lyricon); Larry Williams (horns, synthesizer); Dave Grusin (piano, keyboards); Don Grusin (keyboards, synthesizer); Greg Mathieson, David Foster (keyboards); Harvey Mason, Sr. , Carlos Vega (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (percussion).

6116d627-2163-4098-aa9f-4f18bb806d8f_zps910cc012.jpg

The Hunter -- K2 Super Encoding XRCD24

Jennifer Warnes

1992 Private/Jasrac (Import Japan)

The follow-up to Jennifer Warnes' well received Leonard Cohen covers album, Famous Blue Raincoat, The Hunter finds Warnes applying her velvety voice to tunes by everyone from Todd Rundgren ("Pretending to Care") to the Waterboys ("The Whole of the Moon"). Cohen himself lends a hand too, co-writing "Way Down Deep." While Warnes began her career as a straight-ahead pop singer, she stretches her sound out on The Hunter to accommodate ballads and more rock-oriented tracks with equal aplomb. It's miles away from her early-'80s pop success with "Up Where We Belong," and definitively confirms her status as a mature, sophisticated song stylist.

Album Tracks:
1. Rock You Gently
2. Somewhere, Somebody
3. Big Noise, New York
4. True Emotion
5. Pretending To Care
6. The Whole Of The Moon
7. Lights Of Lousianne
8. Way Down Deep
9. The Hunter
10. I Can't Hide

Back