• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Happy Sunday everyone....

41WcmAK4lKL._SS500_.jpg

Downright Upright -- CD

Brian Bromberg

2007 Artistry Records

Amazon.com

Long before the coining of "smooth jazz," catchy numbers like Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island," Joe Zawinul's "Mercy Mercy Mercy," and the Les McCann-Eddie Harris tune "Cold Duck Soup" enticed pop fans to cross over, however casually or tentatively, into jazz. Now, on veteran bassist Brian Bromberg's Downright Upright, those three songs are vehicles for name-brand smooth jazz players including saxophonists Kirk Whalum, Boney James and Gary Meek, keyboardists George Duke and Jeff Lorber, guitarist Lee Ritenour and trumpeter Rick Braun to do a little crossing back of sorts to show off their mainstream chops. Nobody will confuse the facility of their straightahead solos with real depth, however much emotion they pour into them. But it's an agreeable excursion for all concerned, with Bromberg making the most of his opportunities to lay down melodic lines. Even after the cover versions give way to originals in the same vein, the music stays lively. --Lloyd Sachs

Track listing

1. Cantaloupe Island
2. Mercy Mercy Mercy
3. Cold Duck Time
4. Sunday Mornin'
5. Hacha Cha Cha, The
6. Chameleon
7. Serengeti Walk
8. Leisure Suit
9. Slow Burn
10. Shag Carpet

51zf17mRKsL.jpg

( Telarc ~ 2003 )

1. Gone Again
2. Sookie Sookie
3. County Fair Blues
4. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
5. Declare
6. Cry Out Loud
7. Amazing Grace
8. Traveling Riverside Blues
9. Mama's Stray Baby
10. Hallelu, Hallelu
11. Two Places At A Table
12. Awesome Love
13. Look What The Lord Has Done
14. Old Friends

Review:
"A veteran blueswoman, Rory Block proves herself both a traditionalist and an explorer through this selection of blues classics, spiritual standards, and original material with a kindred spirit. She pays homage to her musical roots with impeccable renditions of songs associated with her late mentor Son House ("County Farm Blues") and his prize pupil Robert Johnson ("Last Fair Deal Gone Down," "Traveling Riverside Blues"). Yet she takes considerable liberties with the album's instrumental centerpiece, an all but unrecognizable version of the familiar "Amazing Grace," which here recalls Leo Kottke's aural adventurousness rather than the hymnal. The original "Declare" (inspired by the Bible's Book of Job) and the traditional "Hallelu, Hallelu" both find Block multi-tracking her vocals into the call-and-response of a full gospel choir, while "Cry Out Loud" and "Mama's Stray Baby" reflect the folkier strains of her artistry. An acoustic guitarist with a stinging slide and an understated virtuosity, she's more concerned with deep grooves than hot licks"
~ Don McLeese

_57_zpsac7cd4d8.jpg

'S Wonderful -- SACD

Bill Charlap Trio

1998/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Breakthrough Album from Jazz Pianist Bill Charlap and His Trio!

Before the talented pianist Bill Charlap went "major" with the Blue Note label, he was discovered by Venus Records and the Japanese audience. This "debut" album of Charlap, released in 1999, was an enormous hit and became an instant classic.

Deeply rooted in the tradition of jazz and with tremendous knowledge and respect for the American songbook, Charlap's piano playing is lyrical, fantastic and powerful. This album may not dazzle you with apparent "newness," but the beauty of melody, sound, and deep swing will move you and make you smile. The great New York rhythm section, bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, contributes with great performances as well.

"Best known for his work with Gerry Mulligan and later Phil Woods during the 1990s, pianist Bill Charlap was clearly developing rapidly on his own record dates. Beginning with a crisp rendition of "Time After Time," Charlap, with a formidable rhythm section of bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, explores a nice mix of standards and jazz classics...The sound on this studio date is so intimate that it sounds as if the listener is sitting right next to the piano." -Ken Dryden, allmusic.com

Features:
• Single Layer Stereo SACD

Musicians:
Bill Charlap, piano
Peter Washington, bass
Kenny Washington, drums

Selections:
1. Time After Time
2. My Shining Hour
3. The Blue Room
4. Boy, What Love Has Done To Me
5. Isfahan
6. Lover
7. Something To Live For
8. 'S Wonderful
9. Summer Serenade
10. Only The Lonely

680c0cec-56b8-4329-ad56-ed06799fe25b_zps7477712b.jpg

Live at The Iridium -- DVD/2 CD Set

Rock Candy Funk Party Takes New York

2014 J&R Adventures

With its reboot of classic 70's / 80's jazz-funk, Rock Candy Funk Party (RCFP) delivers a sound that is as celebratory as the name suggests. The group is powered by a lineup of world renowned players who came together for the sheer fun of making music and a mutual love of genre-blurring grooves. With collective credits including Joe Zawinul, Hugh Masekela, Prince, Ruth Brown, Chaka Khan, Simples Minds, Billy Idol, Tito Puente, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Levon Helm, Conan O Brien, Sheila E. and many more, they are: album producer Tal Bergman (drums), Joe Bonamassa (guitar), Ron DeJesus (guitar), Mike Merritt (bass) and Renato Neto (keys)

DVD Track list:

1. Octopus-e
2. Work
3. We Want Groove
4. Heart Beat
5. New York Song
6. Spaztastic
7. Ode To Gee
8. Dope On A Rope
9. Best Ten Minutes Of Your Life
10. Steppin' In It
11. Mr. Clean
12. One Phone Call

CD TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1:
1. Heart Beat
2. New York Song
3. Octopus-e
4. Spaztastic
5. We Want Groove
6. Work

DISC 2:
1. Dope On A Rope
2. Mr. Clean
3. Ode To Gee
4. One Phone Call
5. Steppin' In It
6. The Best Ten Minutes Of Your Life

^^^ That one sounds interesting, ordered. But what does Conan O'Brian play? :think:

Dennie said:
I'm locked out again...
Obviously not since you were able to post this. However, you were likely denied the opportunity to post the content of whatever you were trying to post previously. Once again, it tripped a Mod Security rule on the server.

I got your IP address from the Who's Online section and gave it to the hosting company. The found the error in the log, whitelisted the rule that was tripped and you should now be good to go.

Careful with the links (even the links just to images). If they're even remotely associated with any kind of spam, it'll trip another rule.

Botch said:
^^^ That one sounds interesting, ordered. But what does Conan O'Brian play? :think:

Thanks Zing!

Conan usually plays Craps, sometimes Poker or 21.

Dennie :teasing-neener:

Zing said:
Dennie said:
I'm locked out again...
Obviously not since you were able to post this. However, you were likely denied the opportunity to post the content of whatever you were trying to post previously. Once again, it tripped a Mod Security rule on the server.

I got your IP address from the Who's Online section and gave it to the hosting company. The found the error in the log, whitelisted the rule that was tripped and you should now be good to go.

Careful with the links (even the links just to images). If they're even remotely associated with any kind of spam, it'll trip another rule.
I used a "Smiley" from THIS forum and then I was Forbidden!

No Link or picture involved!

Dennie

Dennie said:

With its reboot of classic 70's / 80's jazz-funk, Rock Candy Funk Party (RCFP) delivers a sound that is as celebratory as the name suggests. The group is powered by a lineup of world renowned players who came together for the sheer fun of making music and a mutual love of genre-blurring grooves. With collective credits including Joe Zawinul, Hugh Masekela, Prince, Ruth Brown, Chaka Khan, Simples Minds, Billy Idol, Tito Puente, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Levon Helm, Conan O Brien, Sheila E. and many more, they are: album producer Tal Bergman (drums), Joe Bonamassa (guitar), Ron DeJesus (guitar), Mike Merritt (bass) and Renato Neto (keys)

Botch said:

I think that "collective credits" line means people that these players have worked with in the past. The concert is the six of them - they left out Daniel S. on percussion, who's not normally part of the group but was brought in as a representative native New Yorker to do some extra percussion - he does a good job.

Today's work truck music....

06b5225b9da08c6f54723110.L.jpg

Diva -- CD

Annie Lennox

1992 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Although traces of her synthpop roots certainly showed through, Annie Lennox's solo debut, Diva, made it abundantly clear that her new material would veer away from gender-bending robotics of the early Eurythmics sound and continue toward the more emotionally grounded soul of later releases. On Diva, Lennox infuses each song with tenderly perceptive lyrics, hypnotic rhythms, and irresistibly soulful wailings. Her arrangements are clean and simple, utilizing bare instrumentation and sometimes-languid chord work. The singles "Walking on Broken Glass," "Little Bird," and "Why" became radio mainstays, while gems such as the Eastern-influenced dream ballad "Primitive," the hauntingly autobiographical pop-lament "Legend in My Living Room," and the cheerfully satirical "Keep Young and Beautiful" gave the album a plump maturity. --Sally Weinbach

1. "Why" 4:53
2. "Walking on Broken Glass" 4:12
3. "Precious" 5:08
4. "Legend in My Living Room" (Lennox, Peter-John Vettese) 3:45
5. "Cold" 4:20
6. "Money Can't Buy It" 4:58
7. "Little Bird" 4:48
8. "Primitive" 4:16
9. "Stay by Me" 6:26
10. "The Gift" (Lennox, The Blue Nile) 4:52
11. "Keep Young and Beautiful" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) (CD bonus track) 2:17

1e6b828fd7a0c8fd120a2110.L.jpg

Rendezvous -- HDCD

Jacky Terrasson & Cassandra Wilson

1997 Blue Note Records

Tired of endless jazz records full of standards that all sound the same? Well, Jacky Terrasson and Cassandra Wilson have a surprise for you. RENDEZVOUS could very well be one of the most unique albums to come along in quite a while. From the first tones of "Old Devil Moon" the listener is immediately drawn into a somber world of mood indigo shadings and sensual caresses. Wilson and Terrasson create a rich pastel of relaxing grooves and floating, dark phrasings which gives each tune a special character. This will certainly be the "bluest" version of "Tennessee Waltz" most listeners have ever heard and is well worth the price of admission.Standards like "It Might As Well Be Spring," " My Ship," "I Remember You" and "Tea For Two" become fresh and new in the hands of Wilson. Her deep, dark tones lend a distinctive shape to each lyric. Terrasson turns in a few impressive instrumental tracks, "Chan's Song", "Chicago 1987", and an almost unrecognizable "Autumn Leaves." Sparse instrumentation (just a trio with a percussionist instead of drums) and consistently tasteful musical conservations make RENDEZVOUS a rare treat.

Track Listing
1. Old Devil Moon
2. Chan's Song
3. Tennessee Waltz
4. Little Boy Lost
5. Autumn Leaves
6. It Might as Well Be Spring
7. My Ship
8. I Remember You
9. Tea For Two
10. If Ever I Would Leave You
11. Chicago 1987

Personnel includes: Jacky Terrasson (acoustic & electric pianos); Cassandra Wilson (vocals); Lonnie Plaxico, Kenny Davis (bass); Mino Cinelu (percussion).Recorded at Clinton Recording Studios, New York, New York between January 4 and April 4, 1997.All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.

Today's work truck music.....

61aOTs-It2L.jpg

To The Sea -- CD

Jack Johnson

2010 Brushfire Records

Product Description

2010 release, the fifth studio album from the acclaimed singer/songwriter. The album was produced by Robert Carranza, Jack Johnson, and his bandmates Merlo Podlewski, Zach Gill and Adam Topol. To The Sea features guest appearances from the likes of G. Love, and Paula Fuga. The album was recorded at the Mango Tree Studio in Hawaii, and the Solar Powered Plastic Plant in LA using 100% solar power.

1. You and Your Heart
2. No Good With Faces
3. At or With Me
4. When I Look Up
5. From The Clouds
6. Turn Your Love
7. The Upsetter
8. To The Sea
9. My Little Girl
10. Red Wine, Mistakes, Mythology
11. Pictures of People Taking Pictures
12. Anything But The Truth
13. Only The Ocean

amnesiac_standard.jpg

Also, liking OK Computer more and more as I listen to it.

_57_zpsdc308b5e.jpg

The Complete "Jazz Guitar" -- CD

Jim Hall Trio

1957/2011 Pacific/EJC (EU Import)

The Jim Hall Trio’s LP “Jazz Guitar” recorded in 1957 with pianist Carl Perkins and bassist Red Mitchell has appeared in various forms (including a re-issue with drums dubbed on) but this is the first time that all the tracks cut at the session have been put together unabridged on one CD.

This outstanding early album was made when Hall was attracting attention on the West Coast scene playing with Jimmy Guiffre.The disc also contains five bonus tracks made at various times with pianist John Lewis.

Includes 12-page booklet with photos by William Claxton.

Tracklisting:

01. Stompin' At The Savoy
02. Things Ain't What They Used To Be
03. This Is Always
04. Thanks For The Memory
05. Tangerine
06. Stella By Starlight
07. 9:20 Special
08. Deep In A Dream
09. Look For The Silver Lining
10. Seven Come Eleven
11. Too Close For Comfort.
12. Two Lyric Pieces: Pierrot/Colombine
13. I Remember Clifford
14. Two Degrees East, Two Degrees West
15. I Should Care
16. Skylark

91OqsSmdryL_zps5c033530.jpg

Love & Hate -- CD

Joan Osborne

2014 Womanly Hips/Eone Records

Editorial Reviews
This one feels a little different, Joan Osborne says of her new release Love and Hate. In addition to being the beloved singer-songwriter and seven time Grammy nominees eighth studio album and her eOne debut, the 12 song set is one of the most personally charged, creatively ambitious efforts of her two-decades-plus recording career.

While Osborne has already earned a reputation as both a commanding, passionate performer and a frank, emotionally evocative songwriter, her soulful song craft reaches a new level of musical and lyrical resonance on Love and Hate. Such insightful, emotionally complex new compositions as Where We Start, Work On Me, Kittens Got Claws, Keep It Underground and the pointed title track survey some of the more complicated terrain of romantic relationships, in a manner thats rarely been attempted in popular music, while the albums intimate, stripped-down sound marks a stylistic departure from the gritty blues-based rock for which Osborne is best known.

I feel like each song on this album talks about a different aspect of love, she says. She continues: Love isn't just one thing; it encompasses faith, passion, power struggles, humor, anguish, spirituality, lust, anger, everything on that spectrum. The people we love can bring out the very best and the absolute worst in us, because the leap that you make in trusting another person makes you vulnerable. When the endorphin rush of falling in love stops, that's when the difficult work comes in. So I tried to come up with songs that were about different aspects of this continuum.

Love and Hate is the product of an extended birth cycle that spanned no less than seven years a period during which Osborne released two other albums and worked on an assortment of other musical projects. She and co producer/guitarist Jack Petruzzelli with whom she also recorded 2012s Bring It On Home, which was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Blues Album category had initially intended to make a lush, pastoral album in the mold of Van Morrisons Astral Weeks or Nick Drake's Pink Moon. But as she continued to write songs for the project, Osborne found herself drawn towards more personal subject matter.

1. Where We Start
2. Work On Me
3. Mongrels
4. Train
5. Up All Night
6. Not Too Well Acquainted
7. Thirsty For My Tears
8. Love and Hate
9. Kitten's Got Claws
10. Secret Room
11. Keep It Underground
12. Raga

PaulyT said:
Dennie said:

Botch said:

I think that "collective credits" line means people that these players have worked with in the past. The concert is the six of them - they left out Daniel S. on percussion, who's not normally part of the group but was brought in as a representative native New Yorker to do some extra percussion - he does a good job.

We watched this at John's GTG................My copy came on Friday, on the list to watch SOON!

Botch, I think that you will really like this concert.

Dennie said:
91OqsSmdryL_zps5c033530.jpg

Love & Hate -- CD

Joan Osborne

2014 Womanly Hips/Eone Records

Editorial Reviews
This one feels a little different, Joan Osborne says of her new release Love and Hate. In addition to being the beloved singer-songwriter and seven time Grammy nominees eighth studio album and her eOne debut, the 12 song set is one of the most personally charged, creatively ambitious efforts of her two-decades-plus recording career.

While Osborne has already earned a reputation as both a commanding, passionate performer and a frank, emotionally evocative songwriter, her soulful song craft reaches a new level of musical and lyrical resonance on Love and Hate. Such insightful, emotionally complex new compositions as Where We Start, Work On Me, Kittens Got Claws, Keep It Underground and the pointed title track survey some of the more complicated terrain of romantic relationships, in a manner thats rarely been attempted in popular music, while the albums intimate, stripped-down sound marks a stylistic departure from the gritty blues-based rock for which Osborne is best known.

I feel like each song on this album talks about a different aspect of love, she says. She continues: Love isn't just one thing; it encompasses faith, passion, power struggles, humor, anguish, spirituality, lust, anger, everything on that spectrum. The people we love can bring out the very best and the absolute worst in us, because the leap that you make in trusting another person makes you vulnerable. When the endorphin rush of falling in love stops, that's when the difficult work comes in. So I tried to come up with songs that were about different aspects of this continuum.

Love and Hate is the product of an extended birth cycle that spanned no less than seven years a period during which Osborne released two other albums and worked on an assortment of other musical projects. She and co producer/guitarist Jack Petruzzelli with whom she also recorded 2012s Bring It On Home, which was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Blues Album category had initially intended to make a lush, pastoral album in the mold of Van Morrisons Astral Weeks or Nick Drake's Pink Moon. But as she continued to write songs for the project, Osborne found herself drawn towards more personal subject matter.

1. Where We Start
2. Work On Me
3. Mongrels
4. Train
5. Up All Night
6. Not Too Well Acquainted
7. Thirsty For My Tears
8. Love and Hate
9. Kitten's Got Claws
10. Secret Room
11. Keep It Underground
12. Raga

Dennie, if this is half as good as Relish, it's on my list......................... Let me know!

Back