• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

heeman said:
680c0cec-56b8-4329-ad56-ed06799fe25b_zps7477712b.jpg

Botch, I think that you will really like this concert.

Will know soon, The Man In The Brown Shorts™ just dropped off my Bluray copy! :banana-dance:

heeman said:
Dennie said:
91OqsSmdryL_zps5c033530.jpg

Love & Hate -- CD

Joan Osborne

2014 Womanly Hips/Eone Records

Editorial Reviews
This one feels a little different, Joan Osborne says of her new release Love and Hate. In addition to being the beloved singer-songwriter and seven time Grammy nominees eighth studio album and her eOne debut, the 12 song set is one of the most personally charged, creatively ambitious efforts of her two-decades-plus recording career.

While Osborne has already earned a reputation as both a commanding, passionate performer and a frank, emotionally evocative songwriter, her soulful song craft reaches a new level of musical and lyrical resonance on Love and Hate. Such insightful, emotionally complex new compositions as Where We Start, Work On Me, Kittens Got Claws, Keep It Underground and the pointed title track survey some of the more complicated terrain of romantic relationships, in a manner thats rarely been attempted in popular music, while the albums intimate, stripped-down sound marks a stylistic departure from the gritty blues-based rock for which Osborne is best known.

I feel like each song on this album talks about a different aspect of love, she says. She continues: Love isn't just one thing; it encompasses faith, passion, power struggles, humor, anguish, spirituality, lust, anger, everything on that spectrum. The people we love can bring out the very best and the absolute worst in us, because the leap that you make in trusting another person makes you vulnerable. When the endorphin rush of falling in love stops, that's when the difficult work comes in. So I tried to come up with songs that were about different aspects of this continuum.

Love and Hate is the product of an extended birth cycle that spanned no less than seven years a period during which Osborne released two other albums and worked on an assortment of other musical projects. She and co producer/guitarist Jack Petruzzelli with whom she also recorded 2012s Bring It On Home, which was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Blues Album category had initially intended to make a lush, pastoral album in the mold of Van Morrisons Astral Weeks or Nick Drake's Pink Moon. But as she continued to write songs for the project, Osborne found herself drawn towards more personal subject matter.

1. Where We Start
2. Work On Me
3. Mongrels
4. Train
5. Up All Night
6. Not Too Well Acquainted
7. Thirsty For My Tears
8. Love and Hate
9. Kitten's Got Claws
10. Secret Room
11. Keep It Underground
12. Raga

Dennie, if this is half as good as Relish, it's on my list......................... Let me know!

Hey Keith, where "Relish" was a more Gritty, Bluesy album, "Love & Hate" is more Folky, Acoustic, Rockish album. With more emphasis on Folky and Smoother, not Gritty and Bluesy.

I say listen to some of the samples on Amazon (or where ever), before you buy.

I hope that helps,

Dennie

Today's work truck music....

81UzyRJQmoL.png

Jailbreak -- CD

Thin Lizzy

1976/1990 Vertigo Records

Amazon.com

Jailbreak is surely Thin Lizzy's most exciting, tough, and touching album. Simultaneously barbarous and balletic, the 1976 set boasts the totally irresistible "The Boys Are Back in Town." But the rest of Jailbreak lives up to that highlight, especially the riotous title track ("Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town"--yeah well, the jail seems a likely place). If Phil Lynott's poetic pretensions sometimes get the better of things, most of the album shows off his effortless power and economy; if heavy rock has a tendency to wrestle each song to the ground, Lynott and company were uniquely capable of delivering the knockout punch, graceful as a boxer or bullfighter. Jailbreak is testament to such skills. --Taylor Parkes

Side one

1. "Jailbreak" – 4:01
2. "Angel from the Coast" (Lynott, Brian Robertson) – 3:03
3. "Running Back" – 3:13
4. "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" – 3:55
5. "Warriors" (Lynott, Scott Gorham) – 4:09

Side two

1. "The Boys Are Back in Town" – 4:27
2. "Fight or Fall" – 3:45
3. "Cowboy Song" (Lynott, Brian Downey)– 5:16
4. "Emerald" (Gorham, Downey, Robertson, Lynott) – 4:03

61TcvMyNfyL_zpsb4289824.jpg

Tough All Over -- CD

Shelby Lynne

1990 Epic Records

Before Shelby Lynne reinvented herself at the end of the 1990s and began recording for Mercury, she made a number of fine recordings that were unfortunately lost in the heap of "new traditionalist" and female superstar recordings that were popping out of Nash Vegas like zits. This 1990 effort, produced by the great Bob Montgomery, is a case in point. Not only does this hold up to her best work, it's at the very least on a par with Kathy Mattea, Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, etc. It just isn't a strictly country outing, but it's a truly fine pop-country record. Interestingly, it also has the range of her later records. While there are songs here from the then-current crop of Nash Vegas song churners, like the opener, "I'll Lie Myself to Sleep," there are also cuts like the gorgeous gentle Western swing of "Don't Mind if I Do," by the legendary Skip Ewing. The tune borrows as much from Billie Holiday's "Ain't Nobody's Business" as it does from early Bonnie Raitt and Maria Muldaur. And then there's a burning, hard-rocking cover of Charlie Rich's early hit "Lonely Weekends." It's more Dixie-fried than Rich's version, but it comes across as a thoroughly contemporary country-rock song with ringing guitars à la the Doobie Brothers' Toulouse Street, an Elvis-styled delivery, and a piano shuffle in the background that keeps the lyric from sinking under the weight of a cooking band. Wayne Carson's "Dog Day Afternoon" sounds like a latter-day Rich number, or one Tom Waits wrote for Crystal Gayle for the One from the Heart soundtrack; it's all jazzy, warm, and sensual. If there were any doubts about Lynne's country pedigree, it vanishes when her radical working of "I Walk the Line" comes through the speakers. Bluesy, shuffling, and the slightest bit funky, her sense of Cash's melody remains untouched. The set ends with another Western swing-influenced nugget, but this one comes from Duke Ellington, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," before it breaks out into a full-blown Patsy Cline country-jazz tune. She saved the best moment for last here, and it is so original in its swinging elegance that listeners can only wonder if she might have taken the Diana Krall route, in that she not only has the pipes and the chops, but the feel for this material. Tough All Over is wonderful from start to finish. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. I'll Lie Myself to Sleep
2. Don't Mind If I Do
3. Lonely Weekends
4. Things Are Tough All Over
5. Dog Day Afternoon
6. Baby's Gone Blues
7. Till a Better Memory Comes Along
8. I Walk the Line
9. What About the Love We Made
10. Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Today's work truck music....

51ZeMgPEdkL._SS500_.jpg

Heavy Picks - Collection -- CD

The Robert Cray Band

1999 Island/Mercury Records

Digitally remastered by Suha Gur (Universal Music Studios, Edison, New Jersey).

Throughout the '80s, Robert Cray and Stevie Ray Vaughan were heralded as the "new hopes" for the blues. Although Vaughan's fiery blues-based playing made this sobriquet more appropriate, Cray's style took as much from Memphis soul as it did Chicago blues. HEAVY PICKS compiles the cream of Cray's material released between 1980 and 1997.

Combining a fluid guitar sound and a creamy vocal style, Robert Cray wrote music often based on the fragility of relationships between men and women. His high-caliber songwriting not only found Cray being covered by the likes of Albert King ("Phone Booth") and Eric Clapton ("Bad Influence"), but also landed him in the Top 40 ("Smoking Gun"). Although covers of Willie Dixon ("Too Many Cooks") and Otis Redding ("Trick or Treat") bridged the blues and soul divide, Cray's R&B strengths leapt out more in his collaborations with the Memphis Horns. On songs such as "Consequences," "Forecast (Calls for Pain)," and "I Guess I Showed Her," Cray's singing not only channels the influence of soul legend O.V. Wright, but his crisp guitar playing also points to Steve Cropper's Stax/Volt legacy.

Track listing

1. Phone Booth
2. Forecast (Calls for Pain)
3. Smoking Gun
4. Playin' in the Dirt
5. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
6. Too Many Cooks
7. Dream, The
8. Right Next Door (Because of Me)
9. Consequences
10. Bad Influence
11. I Guess I Showed Her
12. I Shiver
13. Trick or Treat
14. I Was Warned

PaulyT said:
Beginning my exploration of this band... based on CMonster's plug at the last GTG.

radiohead-pablo-honey.jpg

Started to listen to this today on the way into work. I like it so far. Picked it up at a used shop in the Dallas area this past weekend. Along with a bunch of goodies!

.... Take my blues away.....

EDIT: d'Oh! wrong album. Move along, nothing to see here... :oops:

This one was suggested by my 8 year old son, off the strength of the single "Love Me again". Wasn't sure about the rest of the album. But this kid has got pipes. Writes his own music. Two thumbs up!!

51TYEEmaRXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51K250G3PXL.jpg

1. Face Down In The Blues
2. Love I Gave To You
3. Mean Miss Sweetie
4. Ain't No Justice
5. Face The Music
6. Like Good Music
7. Long Goodbye
8. Ain't Nobody's Fool
9. Ways Of A Woman
10. Ramblin'
11. Southern Belle
12. Driftin' Blues

51F592bKOHL_zpsa426fae2.jpg

The Essential... -- 2 (24 bit) CD Set

Little Jimmy Scott - The Voice of An Angel

2005 Union Square/Metro CD558

Released as part of Union Square's Metro Doubles series in 2005, The Essential Jimmy Scott is a terrific 47-track double-disc set that offers a good budget introduction to Scott at his peak. The bulk of this dates from 1952-1960 -- there are four songs from 1975 added to the end -- and while this by no means includes all the great material he recorded during this time, it is a good, well-annotated overview of Scott at his prime. Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listings

CD 1:
1. After I'm Gone
2. Talk Of The Town
3. I'll Be Seeing You
4. Loneliest House On The Street
5. Anytime Anyday Anywhere
6. When Did You Leave Heaven?
7. Guilty
8. Everybody Needs Somebody
9. Why Don't You Open Your Heart?
10. Time On My Hands
11. Imagination
12. Don't Cry Baby
13. How Can I Go On Without You?
14. Street Of Dreams
15. Someone To Watch Over Me
16. Recess In Heaven
17. If You Only Knew
18. Am I Wrong?
19. Laughing On The Outside
20. I'll Be All Right
21. Please Be Kind
22. Oh, What I Wouldn't Give
23. All Or Nothing At All
24. I'm Through With Love

CD 2:
25. What Wouldn't I Give
26. When It Comes To Love
27. There Will Never Be Another You
28. I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over
29. Once
30. What Good Would It Be?
31. Way You Look Tonight
32. Things That Are Love
33. Everybody's Somebody's Fool
34. Time On My Hands
35. Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
36. If I Ever Lost You
37. Please Forgive Me
38. How Else?
39. If You Are But A Dream
40. An Evening In Paradise
41. My Romance
42. When You Wish Upon A Star
43. Smile
44. You've Changed
45. Can't We Begin Again?
46. More I See You
47. When I Fall In Love

5f04c0a398a003b22d890210.L.jpg

Live In NYC Volume 2 -- CD

Jaco Pastorius

1992 Big World Music

You MUST have this one!, May 23, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Live in New York 2: Trio (Audio CD)
Do you like jazz? Rock? Great playing with passionate fire?

You've got it! Buy this one and you won't regret it. The recording is good and the songs are amazing (listen to "I shot the Sheriff" and you'll know what I'm talking about).

Jaco is (still) simply the best bass player in the whole world, and on this CD he's playing a fretted basss. His skills were untouched, despite the health problems he was facing in that period due to alcohol and drug addiction. From all CDs issued after this death, this and number 3 are the best.

1. Wipe Out
2. Straight Life
3. I Shot The Sheriff
4. Teen Town
5. Dear Prudence
6. Ode To Billie Joe
7. Continuum
8. Son Of Creeper
9. Cissy Strut
10. Three Views Of A Secret

images

My Feet Are Smiling -- CD

Leo Kottke

1972/1990 One Way Records

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own, February 1, 2005
By Curtiss Clarke (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Feet Are Smiling (Audio CD)

Along with the earlier 6 and 12 String Guitar, this is unarguably Leo Kottke's finest work. While it was recorded some 30-plus years ago, the sound suffers not. This is a live recording with ambiance in abudance. At the time, Leo Kottke and John Fahey had virtually pioneered the technique of closely miking an all-acoustic instrument through the P/A at relatively high volume. This album will give you the feeling that you are on stage right beside the musician. (The concert was recorded at Tyrone Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis in 1972). Kottke's command of his instrument(s) has few peers, but his harmonic sense is matched only by that of the late Bill Evans. While picking speed was at the time of this record, one of Leo's trademarks (witness the closing track Jack Fig), it cannot be said that this detracts in any way from the musicianship. Anyone who has seen Leo live can attest to how his picking hand resembles a crab in perfect fluid motion as it massages the strings. Kottke is also a master of the instrumental ballad. The composition Easter is one of the most beautiful melodies ever played. Check out The Ice Miner and Mona Roy (neither is contained on this recording) for more examples of gorgeous instrumentals a la LK. But the title that has received the most mileage from this album is Louise, one of the great tragic songs about life in a small truckstop (For more about that, read about Paul Siebel, the song's composer). This album is typical of a Kottke concert; some very dry-wit, some self-deprecating pokes, a little prosaic banter about weird concerts, and long-time stories that make the listener feel as if their own life is not so weird after all. In between the chat is of course, a multi-course feast of 6 and 12 string bottleneck guitar and fretted wonders that may just make you want to investigate John Fahey, Peter Lang, Bruce Cockburn, Jim Hall, Don Ross, and Baden Powell. This is a pretty good place to start if you've never listened much to pure acoustic solo guitar. This recording has endured the time machine test admirably. It's also a great promotion for one of Leo Kottke's live performances.
Side one

1. "Hear the Wind Howl" – 3:10
2. "Busted Bicycle" – 2:40
3. "Easter" – 3:19
4. "Louise" (Paul Siebel) – 4:26
5. "Blue Dot" – 2:58
6. "Stealing" – 3:03

Side two

1. "Living in the Country" (Pete Seeger) – 1:38
2. "June Bug" – 2:06
3. "Standing in My Shoes" (Leo Kottke/Denny Bruce) – 2:50
4. "The Fisherman" – 2:43
5. "Bean Time" – 2:15
6. "Eggtooth" (Leo Kottke/Michael Johnson) – 5:15
7. "Medley: Crow River Waltz,/Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring/Jack Fig" ("Jesu…" composed by Johann Sebastian Bach) – 7:20

KGrHqJlgFJi2h1Gg-BSeRlv3i4w60_3_zps0866c9a3.jpg

Hell Freezes Over -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Eagles

1994/2000 Geffin/Universal Hong Kong - JVC (Import Japan)

The Eagles' first newly recorded album in 14 years gets off to a good start with the rocker "Get Over It," a timely piece of advice about accepting responsibility, followed by the tender ballad "Love Will Keep Us Alive," the country-styled "The Girl From Yesterday," and "Learn to Be Still," one of Don Henley's more thoughtful statements. Hell Freezes Over contains an EP's worth of new material followed by a live album.

1. Get Over It
2. Love Will Keep Us Alive
3. The Girl From Yesterday
4. Learn To Be Still
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Hotel California
7. Wasted Time
8. Pretty Maids All In A Row
9. I Can't Tell You Why
10. New York Minute
11. The Last Resort
12. Take It Easy
13. In The City
14. Life In The Fast Lane
15. Desperado

Don Felder - lead guitars, steel guitar, slide guitar, vocals, mandolin
Glenn Frey - guitars, piano, keyboards, vocals
Don Henley - drums, guitars, percussion, vocals
Timothy B. Schmit - bass guitar, vocals
Joe Walsh - lead guitars, slide guitar, organ, vocals

Additional personnel

John Corey - piano
Scott Crago - percussion, drums
Timothy Drury - keyboards, vocals
Stan Lynch - percussion
Jay Oliver - organ, keyboards, piano
Paulinho Da Costa - percussion
Gary Grimm - percussion
Brian Matthews - electro-theremin
Al Garth - trumpet on "New York Minute"
Burbank Philharmonic Orchestra - backup on "New York Minute"

Happy Sunday everyone...

51oPLGIiWyL.jpg

Transitions -- CD

Three Voices

2012 Summit Records

''There’s an odd but interesting phenomenon frequently in play today in jazz wherein a recorded effort attempts to ‘‘move ahead’‘ by looking back on the past and ‘‘playing tribute’‘ moebius-like. In some instances, the effort works only on the ‘‘playing tribute’‘ level, but, not much more. That’s definitely not the case here. With Three Voices’ ‘‘Transitions’‘ Trumpeter Kim Pensyl, vibraphonist Rusty Burge, and bassist, Michael Sharfe collaborate superbly saluting a group of GASers and, with significant taste and flair, deliver a most enjoyable, very easy-to-take CD.

Textures and taste are names of the game on this date. Pensyl’s lush flugelhorn supported by Burge’s sparkling vibes and Sharfe’s restrained, but, highly engaged bass create a palette of pastels that invite interest and are never obnoxious. The material, although presenting classics (‘‘Stella by Starlight,’‘ ‘‘It Never Entered My Mind,’‘) also includes some under-recorded selections from sainted writers (‘‘Ishafon’‘ from Duke, Cole Porter’s ‘‘Dream Dancing,’‘ et al). All are performed impeccably.

Pensyl’s lush flugelhorn playing - with dynamic and rhythmic grace - demonstrates a marvelous command of his axe and channels both earlier Miles Davis and Chet Baker. He spins solos with elegantly conceived and tastefully delivered ideas. Burge, Tjader-esque, buys wholeheartedly into the restraint and coolness of the date. He’s hip without getting hot. Sharfe keeps all percolating and adds much more than simply walked lines. He swings and speaks a voice. This fine triangle of textures morphs into a unique instrument of its own and musically caresses the vaunted material.

Three Voices’ ‘‘Transitions’‘ is an excellent example of classic music performed sublimely with reverence and respect by superior musicians.''

-Nick Mondello, JazzTimes

Album Tracks

1. Summer Night, Harry Warren
2. Dream Dancing
3. If I Should Lose You
4. Transition #1
5. All the Things You Are
6. Fotografia
7. RKM
8. Very Early
9. Transition #2
10. Isfahan
11. I Hear a Rhapsody
12. Transition #3
13. Stella By Starlight
14. It Never Entered My Mind

Personnel: Kim Pensyl (flugelhorn); Rusty Burge (vibraphone); Michael Sharfe (acoustic bass).Audio Mixer: Kim Pensyl.Recording information: CCM Jazz Department Recording Studios, Cincinnati, OH.Editor: Kim Pensyl.Arrangers: Michael Sharfe; Kim Pensyl; Rusty Burge.

51LdHqA-6yL._SS500_.jpg

Where Have I Known You Before -- CD

Return To Forever featuring Chick Corea

1974 Polydor Records (Import West Germany)

Brilliant, March 31, 2004
By Howie "tomas" (United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Where Have I Known You Before (Audio CD)
-

This is one of those albums that just seems to have been laying there forever, to be discovered by a group of talented musicians. It almost flows from the musicians on it own accord; they seem as surprised and inspired in playing as we are listening.

The whole band - Chick, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clark, Lenny White - are phenoms. Their skill is stratospheric. To me, as a drummer, Lenny's performance here is magical.

Remember, this album came out in the same period as John McLaughlin's most famous works - BIRDS OF FIRE and INNER MOUNTING FLAME - so these guys were feeding off of each other (much like Paul McCartney and Brian Williams were).

This album is one of the Fusion pioneer albums. The genre didn't exist before RTF and McLaughlin. It quickly sunk under its own weight with all the copycat bands, while the founding fathers moved on to better things.

I saw RTF on tour for this album; third row front; right in front of Lenny (I could see his kick drum foot working - he had on these platform shoes, playing heel-down). It was a fabulous show, even better than the album (I remember Stanley turning to Lenny and giving him the "easy, dude" hand sign: Lenny was just a monster, in his own world!).

If you buy only ONE Corea album, or even only ONE Fusion album, this is the one!

"Vulcan Worlds" (Clarke) – 7:51
"Where Have I Loved You Before" (Corea) – 1:02
"The Shadow of Lo" (White) – 7:32
"Where Have I Danced with You Before" (Corea) – 1:14
"Beyond the Seventh Galaxy" (Corea) – 3:13
"Earth Juice" (Corea, Clarke, White, Di Meola) – 3:46
"Where Have I Known You Before" (Corea) – 2:20
"Song to the Pharaoh Kings" (Corea)* – 14:21

*There is a typo on all original releases: Pharoah - corrected on the 2008 Anthology: Pharaoh

My copy has the "typo". :scared-yipes:

Back