• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Happy Monday everyone....

511GEYSPEZL._SS500_.jpg

Devils & Dust -- Dual Disc CD/DVD

Bruce Springsteen

2005 Sony Music

Amazon.com

The last time Bruce Springsteen ventured West for inspiration, the result was the desolate Nebraska and its tales of serial killers and used cars. On his first record in three years, Springsteen navigates barren deserts and Old West war fields for a dozen forlorn songs that co-star the artist and his acoustic guitar. Though he's always had a knack for carving out the hooks and melodies that make each journey memorable, this time around Springsteen relies on the lyrics to carry the tune-desperate tales of tragedy, heartbreak, and lust with a Latino twist, like the boxer coming home ("The Hitter"), a distressing border-crossing incident ("Matamoros Banks"), and the Nevada hooker with good intentions ("Reno," which led to the warning sticker Adult Imagery). With no E Street Band in the mix, the album is decorated with horns and strings and Springsteen’s novel falsetto on two his best efforts: "Maria’s Bed," where the narrator comes home to his woman after 40 nights on the road, and the fast-picking "All I’m Thinkin’ About," where he has more than Carolina on his mind. A decade from now this will be an underrated record in the Springsteen chronicles. --Scott Holter

All songs are written by Bruce Springsteen.

"Devils & Dust" – 4:58
"All the Way Home" – 3:38
"Reno" – 4:08
"Long Time Comin'" – 4:17
"Black Cowboys" – 4:08
"Maria's Bed" – 5:35
"Silver Palomino" – 3:22
"Jesus Was an Only Son" – 2:55
"Leah" – 3:32
"The Hitter" – 5:53
"All I'm Thinkin' About" – 4:22
"Matamoros Banks" – 4:00

Botch said:
41TS8EeT8kL._SY300_.jpg

5.1 Surround SACD :music-listening:

NICE! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. :banana-dance:

The "Taste of DMP" is also a fun disc, great recording quality.

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

album-meet-me-at-midnite.jpg

Meet Me At Midnite -- CD

Maria Muldaur

1994 Black Top Records

Wisely, Shout! Factory has picked up Maria Muldaur's two early-'90s recordings -- this one and Louisiana Love Call -- from the defunct Black Top label for reissue. While both these recordings are excellent, it's Meet Me at Midnite that offers a portrait of the artist as a hardcore R&B singer of the highest order. Produced by John Porter, Muldaur surrounds herself with crack studio players including Rick Vito, Johnny Lee Schell, Hutch Hutchinson, Bill Payne, and a slew of others. Where Louisiana Love Call focused on the music of New Orleans, Meet Me at Midnite digs deep into various dimensions of the Memphis sound -- soul, R&B, and blues -- and concentrates on the myriad stages and phases of love. While it's true that the set opens with "Trouble With My Lover" by the Crescent City's Allen Toussaint, its vibe is pure Memphis: funky, dirty grooves, packed in a tight cut-time beat and Muldaur shouting the blues with a big, clear ringing voice that wrenches emotion from every syllable. Likewise, the title cut by Vito and John Herron crawls down into the blues alley with killer slide guitar riffs winding their way around Muldaur's seductive vocals. "Sweet Simple Love" is pure soul power. Muldaur's croon is affective, surrounded by a backing chorus that includes Tracy Nelson, stating her pure spiritually amorous intentions in front of a popping horn section and B-3 choogle. The gritty yet laid-back shimmy and funk of "Recovered Soul" bears the marks of all of Muldaur's strengths: steady yet emotive delivery, in-the-pocket rhythmic phrasing, and communicative in both range and articulation. In all, Meet Me at Midnite is one of those overlooked gems that got a second life. It's one of her strongest recordings; don't miss it. ~ Thom Jurek

Track listing

1. Trouble With My Lover
2. Meet Me at Midnight
3. Send the Man Back Home
4. Sweet Simple Love
5. Power in Music
6. Ease the Pain
7. Trouble With Love
8. Recovered Soul
9. Down So Love
10. Serve Somebody
11. Woman's Lament
12. Mississippi Muddy Water

51YT%2BvB5bML.jpg

(2008)

review:
"Bad For You Baby' is the 2008 album by legendary guitarist Gary Moore. The 11 track CD features the following line up; Pete Rees:bass, Vic Martin:keyboards, Sam Kelly:drums. Special guest appearance: Otis & Cassie Taylor. This album also features Gary on harmonica for the first time, on one track."

810dJktucTL_zps32f4103c.jpg

Nathan East -- CD

Nathan East

2014 Yamaha Entertainment

For more than three decades Nathan East, the founding member of world-renowned jazz quartet Fourplay, has been called upon to perform on hit songs for many of the greatest artists in music including 2013 record of the year "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk. With a mix of instrumental and vocal compositions, and produced by Chris Gero and Nathan East, the anticipated self-titled album delivers 13 songs featuring the new single "Daft Funk," plus compositions by Nathan East, Bob James, Pat Metheny, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Chuck Loeb, Steve Winwood and Michael McDonald among other.

Track Listings

1. 101 Eastbound

2. Sir Duke

3. Letter From Home

4. Moondance

5. I Can Let Go Now

6. Daft Funk

7. SeveNate

8. Can't Find My Way Home

9. Moodswing

10. Overjoyed

11. Yesterday

12. Madiba

13. America The Beautiful

419kkexrHDL.jpg

Through The Devil Softly -- CD

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions

2009 Nettwerk Records

Sandoval's talent is not found almost anywhere nowadays October 22, 2009
By NUEVE
Format:Audio CD|Verified Purchase

This is not a Mazzy Star album, that's for sure but still, Hope Sandoval finds beatiful, tricky and simple ways to get you with her songs and her proyect here. The first half of the record is exactly what I was expecting from her: mellow melodies, trance periods and breathing sadness all over the place (Blanchard, Wild roses, Lady Jessica and Sam and Set the blaze are the example) Now, it is fair to point out one particular song on the first half of the record: "For the rest of your life". Here the music structure is awesome. The bass line kind of thing is waird and yet well fit for the mood of the song and the electric guitar reminds me to what bands like The Cure or even Radiohead would do. Strangely beautiful for sure. On the other hand, when you arrive to "Trouble" and "Fall aside" the real fun starts. Beautiful, beautiful songs that take me back more to what Sandoval used to do with Mazzy Star. I automatically felt in love with these two songs when I listened to them.

All this aside, I must point out above everything the exquisite voice that Ms. Hope Sandoval still has. Beautiful, stunning voice that in my humble opinion next to Natalie Merchant (10'000 maniacs) and Tori Amos defined how a real singer acrually sang a song back in the 90's.

Welcome back Hope!

1. Blanchard
2. Wild Roses
3. For The rest Of Your Life
4. Lady Jessica and Sam
5. Sets The Blaze
6. Thinking Like That
7. There s A Window
8. Trouble
9. Fall Aside
10. Blue Bird
11. Satellite

71M2UFpeMDL.jpg

Concert In The Park - August 15th, 1991 -- 2 CD Box Set

Paul Simon

1991 Warner Bros. Records

My Favorite Album, July 6, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Concert in the Park (Audio CD)

Where to begin! Let me first say that I am a huge fan of Paul Simon, so I'm probably not the most objective opinion... That said, Paul Simon's Concert In The Park is my favorite CD for a couple reasons: It is a great introduction to Simon for those two people on earth unfamiliar with his work, and, more important, it offers brilliant renditions of both Simon's greatest hits from the Garfunkel years as well as new takes of his lesser known songs. I love the African and South American sounds Simon explores, I love the band that's behind him, but most of all, I loooove the music! Buy this CD--I promise you won't be sorry.

Disc 1

"The Obvious Child"
"The Boy in the Bubble"
"She Moves On"
"Kodachrome"
"Born at the Right Time"
"Train in the Distance"
"Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"
"I Know What I Know"
"The Cool, Cool River"
"Bridge over Troubled Water"
"Proof"

Disc 2

"The Coast"
"Graceland"
"You Can Call Me Al"
"Still Crazy After All These Years"
"Loves Me Like a Rock"
"Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"
"Hearts and Bones"
"Late in the Evening"
"America"
"The Boxer"
"Cecilia"
"The Sound of Silence"

Dennie said:

Meet Me At Midnite -- CD

Maria Muldaur

1994 Black Top Records

Wisely, Shout! Factory has picked up Maria Muldaur's two early-'90s recordings -- this one and Louisiana Love Call -- from the defunct Black Top label for reissue. While both these recordings are excellent, it's Meet Me at Midnite that offers a portrait of the artist as a hardcore R&B singer of the highest order. Produced by John Porter, Muldaur surrounds herself with crack studio players including Rick Vito, Johnny Lee Schell, Hutch Hutchinson, Bill Payne, and a slew of others. Where Louisiana Love Call focused on the music of New Orleans, Meet Me at Midnite digs deep into various dimensions of the Memphis sound -- soul, R&B, and blues -- and concentrates on the myriad stages and phases of love. While it's true that the set opens with "Trouble With My Lover" by the Crescent City's Allen Toussaint, its vibe is pure Memphis: funky, dirty grooves, packed in a tight cut-time beat and Muldaur shouting the blues with a big, clear ringing voice that wrenches emotion from every syllable. Likewise, the title cut by Vito and John Herron crawls down into the blues alley with killer slide guitar riffs winding their way around Muldaur's seductive vocals. "Sweet Simple Love" is pure soul power. Muldaur's croon is affective, surrounded by a backing chorus that includes Tracy Nelson, stating her pure spiritually amorous intentions in front of a popping horn section and B-3 choogle. The gritty yet laid-back shimmy and funk of "Recovered Soul" bears the marks of all of Muldaur's strengths: steady yet emotive delivery, in-the-pocket rhythmic phrasing, and communicative in both range and articulation. In all, Meet Me at Midnite is one of those overlooked gems that got a second life. It's one of her strongest recordings; don't miss it. ~ Thom Jurek

Track listing

1. Trouble With My Lover
2. Meet Me at Midnight
4. Sweet Simple Love
5. Power in Music
6. Ease the Pain
7. Trouble With Love
8. Recovered Soul
9. Down So Love
10. Serve Somebody
11. Woman's Lament

I have her album that has the famed "Midnight in the Oasis" (love that song) track on it. Not a bad album. She's a very gifted singer. There a Dolly Parton cover she does on that same album that's pretty good if you don't have it.

Today's work truck music....

71df228348a0297dad414110.L.jpg

Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits -- CD

Creedence Clearwater Revival

1976/1990 Fantasy Records

Best American Band of the 1960's, July 3, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Chronicle, Vol. 1: The 20 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

With all due respect, there were many great American bands from the 1960's. But none as successful as CCR (who deserved their success, I may add). This features all but one essential hit ("Born on the Bayou" can be found on Chronicle Volume 2). All of the songs are great, but some of the best songs include "Proud Mary", "Fortunate Son", "Green River", "Travelling Band", and the 11 minute "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". John Fogerty is very versatile in his talents, being able to play guitar and sing as well as he could/can and write clever and meaningful songs which are still fun to listen to. Listen to this one for yourself and hear why CCR was as successful as they were!!!

1. "Susie Q" (Dale Hawkins, Stan Lewis, Eleanor Broadwater) Creedence Clearwater Revival (1968) 4:36
2. "I Put a Spell on You" (Screamin' Jay Hawkins) Creedence Clearwater Revival (1968) 4:30
3. "Proud Mary" Bayou Country (1969) 3:07
4. "Bad Moon Rising" Green River (1969) 2:18
5. "Lodi" Green River (1969) 3:09
6. "Green River" Green River (1969) 2:32
7. "Commotion" Green River (1969) 2:41
8. "Down on the Corner" Willy and the Poor Boys (1969) 2:43
9. "Fortunate Son" Willy and the Poor Boys (1969) 2:18
10. "Travelin' Band" Cosmo's Factory (1970) 2:07
11. "Who'll Stop the Rain" Cosmo's Factory (1970) 2:27
12. "Up Around the Bend" Cosmo's Factory (1970) 2:41
13. "Run Through the Jungle" Cosmo's Factory (1970) 3:05
14. "Lookin' out My Back Door" Cosmo's Factory (1970) 2:31
15. "Long As I Can See the Light" Cosmo's Factory (1970) 3:32
16. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong (vinyl and cassette releases; CD version features the full 11:06 version)) Cosmo's Factory (1970) 3:52
17. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" Pendulum (1970) 2:38
18. "Hey Tonight" Pendulum (1970) 2:41
19. "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" Mardi Gras (1972) 2:55
20. "Someday Never Comes" Mardi Gras (1972) 3:59
Total length:
67:33

Yesfan70 said:
Dennie said:

Meet Me At Midnite -- CD

Maria Muldaur

1994 Black Top Records

Track listing

1. Trouble With My Lover
2. Meet Me at Midnight
4. Sweet Simple Love
5. Power in Music
6. Ease the Pain
7. Trouble With Love
8. Recovered Soul
9. Down So Love
10. Serve Somebody
11. Woman's Lament

I have her album that has the famed "Midnight in the Oasis" (love that song) track on it. Not a bad album. She's a very gifted singer. There a Dolly Parton cover she does on that same album that's pretty good if you don't have it.

Thanks Yesfan, I have "Maria Muldaur", her first album, on Vinyl. It is a good album, especially "Midnight".

Dennie

51a3UCPP32L.jpg

We're All Together Again For The First Time -- CD

Dave Brubeck - Gerry Mulligan - Paul Desmond - Alan Dawson - Jack Six

1973/1990 Atlantic Jazz

During 1968-72, Brubeck's Quartet usually featured baritonist Gerry Mulligan, bassist Jack Six and drummer Alan Dawson. For this very logical record, altoist Paul Desmond (who was with Brubeck from 1951-67) makes the group a quintet and his interplay with Mulligan is consistently delightful. Together they are heard live in Europe on "Truth," Mulligan's "Unfinished Woman," "Rotterdam Blues" and a definitive 16-minute rendition of "Take Five." In addition, Desmond is showcased on "Koto Song" and as an encore Brubeck plays a lighthearted if brief "Sweet Georgia Brown." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Truth
2. Unfinished Woman
3. Koto Song
4. Take Five
5. Rotterdam Blues
6. Sweet Georgia Brown

Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Jack Six (bass); Alan Dawson (drums).Recorded at the Philharmonie, Berlin, Germany, the Olympia Theatre, Paris, France and De Doelen, Rotterdam, Sweden in 1972. Includes original release liner notes by Leonard Feather

41QrEXPlEjL.jpg

Angel Eyes: Ballads & Slow Jams -- CD

Jimmy Smith

1996 Verve Records

The '90s lounge revival and the hubbub surrounding acid jazz would seem ideal reasons for veteran jazz organist Jimmy Smith to pull rank and power up his Hammond B-3 for the sort of greasy grooves and ur-funk riffs that remain the blueprint. Instead, Smith pulls a smarter move: subtitled "Ballads & Slow Jams," the set finds him teaming with younger labelmates Roy Hargrove, Nicholas Payton, Mark Whitfield, and Christian McBride and downshifting into a program of ballads culled from jazz and classic- pop perennials. From Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments" and Neal Hefti's "Lil' Darlin'" to slices of Mancini, Gershwin, and Matt Dennis's title song (forever associated with Sinatra), a slow jam by any other name translates to make-out music--in this case, of the most elegant, highly satisfying order. --Sam Sutherland

Track Listing
1. Stolen Moments
2. You Better Go Now
3. Angel Eyes
4. Oh Where's My Bess Bess
5. Slow Freight
6. Tenderly
7. Days of Wine and Roses
8. L'il Darlin'
9. What a Wonderful World

Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Nicholas Payton (trumpet); Roy Hargrove (trumpet, flugelhorn); Mark Whitfield (guitar); Christian McBride (bass); Gregory Hutchinson (drums).Recorded at Powerstation, New York, New York on January 25 & 26, 1995.

614qPRwFCjL.jpg

Getz Meets Mulligan In HI-Fi -- Remastered CD

Stan Getz - Gerry Mulligan

1957/1991 Verve Records

Our Delight July 31, 2006
By Jazzcat
Format:Audio CD
Jazz is our delight brother cats. Life is so boring sometimes that you and I, my jazz friends, deserve to take a pause and enjoy the marvel of music to lift us up. You can't find a more delightful listening experience than this encounter between Getz and Jeru. It is fantastic believe me. This record is something that when I turn back to it, it makes me discover again why I love jazz. It has been one of the first jazz albums I did buy, something like 15 years ago ... it's still refreshing after all these years. It is light, funny, swinging, splendid ... it is simply one of the best examples of Jazz you can find out there. Jazz the fifties way of course, not that thing that today some people call jazz that is unbelievably boring. This is Jazz. And you can't stop to stomp your feet. You have a fantastic rhythmn section, Stan Levey and Ray Brown, MEN, so the swing is garanteed =)))))). Lou Levey played the piano (one of the best in the west coast movement). Than you have a couple of the best soloists that EVER graced the history of Jazz music, Stan Getz and Gerry Mulligan (THE man who plays the bari, nothing more to add here). The program begins with the splendid "Let's fall in love" and it's all there. They're all swingers except for the wonderful tune "A ballad" which is, of course, a ballad. You evena have a Charlie Parker number, Scrapple. The joy of swing, a music that these guys plays perfectly, light as butterflies, deep as oceans. THEY'RE TRUE MASTER!!! Every tune is a master interpretations. Than Stan and Jeru change horns and demonstrate to us (if necessary) how good thay could play with another type of instrument. It is simply a perfect album, jazzcats, if you don't own it... YOU SHOULD. YOU SHOULD.

Track Listing
1. Let's Fall in Love
2. Anything Goes
3. Too Close for Comfort
4. That Old Feeling
5. This Can't Be Love
6. A Ballad
7. Scrapple from the Apple - (bonus track)
8. I Didn't Know What Time It Was - (bonus track)

Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Stan Getz (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Lou Levy (piano); Stan Levey (drums).Audio Remasterer: Andrew Nicholas.Liner Note Authors: Norman Granz; Bob Blumenthal.Recording information: 10/10/1957/10/12/1957.Editor: Andrew Nicholas.

Unbroken.jpg

This is a CD of Anthony's (Roman Angelo's :romance-heartstiny: recording engineer). Somewhat different than what I usually listen to, I like to mix it up. I think the sound quality is awesome. Anthony really is incredible with his craft!

^-- Cool. I have three of their CDs now, but I have such a stack of new (to me) CDs to go through, I haven't gotten to them yet... Looking forward to it.

139b810ae7a0f399ce2a8110.L.jpg

Young Americans -- CD

David Bowie

1975/1981 EMI/Capitol Records

A Rare Album Of Consistency, July 20, 2005
By Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 100 REVIEWER) (2008 HOLIDAY TEAM) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Young Americans (Audio CD)

After "Diamond Dogs", the world was thrown off balance again with Bowie's rumors of hanging out in a Philadelphia studio with fans sleeping at the stage door. It was the same city he recorded the "Diamond Dogs" tour - the `City of Brotherly Love'. Black/White Soul Love music from Bowie? No way. Yes way. Although it was a strong departure, "Young Americans" has become one of those Bowie albums that are so unique and distinct in its character that you either love it or hate it. It's all true soul funk with the magical backup of the late Luther Vandross's voice. "Young Americans" made it as a modest single, but it was the collaborative effort of "Fame" with John Lennon that is the song of choice here. There is nothing like it anywhere in the world. Bowie's rendering of "Across The Universe" is an uninspired tribute to Lennon and "Can You Hear Me" is bland. However, "Somebody Up There Like Me" is a true funky bass driven number that completely satisfies. At the very least, this album is consistent and Bowie proves he truly has some serious soul.

Side one

"Young Americans" – 5:10
"Win" – 4:44
"Fascination" (Bowie, Luther Vandross) – 5:43
"Right" – 4:13

Side two

"Somebody Up There Likes Me" – 6:30
"Across the Universe" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 4:30
"Can You Hear Me" – 5:04
"Fame" (Bowie, Carlos Alomar, Lennon) – 4:12

Reissue bonus tracks

"Who Can I Be Now?" – 4:35
"It's Gonna Be Me" – 6:29
"John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)" – 6:58

Today's work truck music....

6065225b9da06b9af9ced010.L.jpg

4 -- Remastered CD

Foreigner

1981/2002 Atlantic Records

THIS IS CLASSIC ROCK, February 12, 2007
By The Electroacoustic Metallurgist "Bill" (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: 4 (Audio CD)

In my estimation there are only a few "Classic Rock" (Pop-Rock) albums from the 80's that are worth owning, this is one of them, I have it, and you should too. Sure, there are other good Pop-Rock albums from the 80's, but most I can't stomach in their entirety, as very few stand the test of time. There are no bad songs on this album, and in fact they are all excellent, and not just excellent for their time, but excellent for today. It's now 2007 and this album from 1981 never sounds corny or shrill to me, as so many albums from the 80's do, this album stands the test of time. I certainly think that the listenability of '4' is in large part due to the fact that John "Mutt" Lange was brought in to produce the album, who is arguably the best Rock producer of all time. Yeah, I know Mick Jones was co-producer, but I have no doubt that Lange is the reason '4' turned out to be the revered "Classic Rock" album it is. To date '4' has sold more than six million copies in the US, which is almost as many copies sold as AC/DC's 'Highway To Hell', which Lange also produced. How can you argue with six million copies sold, this is a very good album.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Night Life" Jones, Gramm 3:48
2. "Juke Box Hero" Gramm, Jones 4:18
3. "Break It Up" Jones 4:11
4. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" Jones, Gramm 4:49
5. "Luanne" (On some vinyl editions, "Luanne" is listed as 3:11[3]) Gramm, Jones 3:25
6. "Urgent" Jones 4:29
7. "I'm Gonna Win" Jones 4:51
8. "Woman in Black" Jones 4:42
9. "Girl on the Moon" Jones, Gramm 3:49
10. "Don't Let Go" Jones, Gramm 3:48
Bonus tracks on 2002 re-issue, recorded in 1999
No. Title Length
11. "Juke Box Hero" (nearly unplugged version) 3:06
12. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" (nearly unplugged version) 2:50

Dennie said:
810dJktucTL_zps32f4103c.jpg

Nathan East -- CD

Nathan East

2014 Yamaha Entertainment

For more than three decades Nathan East, the founding member of world-renowned jazz quartet Fourplay, has been called upon to perform on hit songs for many of the greatest artists in music including 2013 record of the year "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk. With a mix of instrumental and vocal compositions, and produced by Chris Gero and Nathan East, the anticipated self-titled album delivers 13 songs featuring the new single "Daft Funk," plus compositions by Nathan East, Bob James, Pat Metheny, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Chuck Loeb, Steve Winwood and Michael McDonald among other.

Track Listings

1. 101 Eastbound

2. Sir Duke

3. Letter From Home

4. Moondance

5. I Can Let Go Now

6. Daft Funk

7. SeveNate

8. Can't Find My Way Home

9. Moodswing

10. Overjoyed

11. Yesterday

12. Madiba

13. America The Beautiful

Dennie, I am very interested in this one. How is it? How is the mix? Thanks, Keith

Coleman_Hawkins_with_the_Red_Garlan_zps4fd1e6d1.jpg

With The Red Garland Trio -- Remastered CD

Coleman Hawkins

1959/1991 Swingville/OJC Records

Long before joining Miles Davis in 1955, Red Garland was regularly employed by Coleman Hawkins, who had been a symbol of greatness in jazz since the mid-'20s. This 1959 date constitutes a happy reunion.On this, probably his best session for Swingville, Hawk tries his hand keeping up with a then-modern rhythm section, accomplishing this with great panache. His solos on WITH THE RED GARLAND TRIO are bop-tinged and somewhat experimental, though he retains the thick, coarse sound that was his trademark. Garland and his trio play impeccably here, with drummer Specs Wright in particular contributing a simply stunning series of four bar breaks on "It's a Blue World." Other highlights include the smoky ballad, "I Want To Be Loved," and the lengthy, ever-evolving "Bean's Blues."

Track Listing
1. It's a Blue World
2. I Want to Be Loved
3. Red Beans
4. Bean's Blues
5. Blues For Ron

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Red Garland (piano); Doug Watkins (bass); Charles "Specs" Wright (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on August 12, 1959. Originally released on Prestige/Swingville (2001). Includes liner notes by Bob Snead.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1989, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California)

51YLWzvtiyL.jpg

Autumn Leaves -- 2 CD Set

Tal Farlow

1978 & 1985/2003 Concord Records

Tal Farlow recorded a wonderful series of albums that established him as one of the premiere bop/cool guitarists. He recorded less frequently in the '60s, '70s, and '80s, preferring to stay out of the limelight. Autumn Leaves consists of two discs Farlow recorded for Concord: Tal Farlow '78 and The Legendary Tal Farlow (1985). When a great player like Farlow revives his career 20 years later, it seems customary, though a bit impolite, to ask: can he play as well as he once could? The easy answer is yes, he plays with the same finesse and speed (though it's hard to tell: his fingers move extremely fast), but this should be qualified by noting that his overall approach has mellowed during the interval. On the first disc Farlow is joined by bassist Gary Mazzaroppi and drummer Tom Sayek for a straight-ahead trio set. Ballads ("Here's That Rainy Day" and "Autumn Leaves") and barnburners ("Mahoney's 11 Ohms" and "With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair") get equal billing, which means the album goes down like a perfectly balanced glass of red wine. The trio grows to a quintet on The Legendary Tal Farlow, with special notice going to flutist/tenor saxophonist Sam Most. Most's flute work injects an airy presence into "You Stepped Out of a Dream" and "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good," while also working as a nice counter voice to Farlow's guitar. The two satisfying sets on Autumn Leaves offer over 80 minutes of modern jazz played with elegance and style. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. Mahoney's 11 Ohms
2. Here's That Rainy Day
3. Autumn Leaves
4. With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair
5. Perdido
6. Medley: Ill Wind/Invitation/: Ill Wind / Invitation
7. Satin Doll
8. Gymkhana in Soho

DISC 2:
1. You Stepped Out of a Dream
2. When Your Lover Has Gone
3. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
4. When Lights Are Low
5. Who Cares?
6. I Can't Get Started
7. Prelude to a Kiss
8. Everything Happens to Me

2 LPs on 2 CDs: TAL FARLOW '78 (1978)/THE LEGENDARY TAL FARLOW (1985).Personnel: Tal Farlow (guitar); Sam Most (tenor saxophone, flute); Frank Strazzeri (piano); Bob Maize, Gary Mazzaroppi (bass); Tom Sayek, Al "Tootie" Heath (drums).Producers: Carl E. Jefferson, Frank Dorritie.Recorded at Bell Sound, New York, New York and Sage And Sound Studios, Hollywood, California between 1978 and 1985. Includes liner notes by Gordon Raddue, Ira Gitler.Personnel: Tal Farlow (guitar); Sam Most (flute, tenor saxophone); Frank Strazzeri (piano); Tom Sayek, Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).Audio Remixer: Phil Edwards .Liner Note Authors: Ira Gitler; Gordon Raddue.Recording information: Bell Sound Studios, New York, NY (09/1984); Sage & Sound Studio, Hollywood, CA (09/1984).

Back