• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

d7a9225b9da026781fbac010.L.jpg

Retrospective - The Best of Buffalo Springfield -- CD

Buffalo Springfield

1969/1990 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com

Only a handful of bands have made a greater impact with fewer recordings than the short-lived Buffalo Springfield. Their history is told in the titles of their three albums: 1967's eponymous debut was followed by the peak-performance Again later that year, which was followed by 1968's Last Time Around. While their entire recorded career encompasses a mere two years, the Stephen Stills-Neil Young-Richie Furay-led quintet produced a number of '60s rock classics. Stills chipped in "For What It's Worth" and "Bluebird"; Furay's "Kind Woman" is one of the touchstones of country-rock; and Young fired off the likes of the raucous "Mr. Soul," the gentle "I Am a Child," the ambitious "Broken Arrow," and the breathtakingly pretty "Expecting to Fly." They're all on this 12-song overview, a suitable option for anyone who isn't up to stocking up on the entire catalog. --Steven Stolder

Side One:

"For What It's Worth" (Stills) – 2:37
Recorded December 5, 1966, Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone. Running time incorrectly listed on the album's cover as 3:00.
"Mr. Soul" (Young) – 2:35
Recorded April 4, 1967. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Sit Down I Think I Love You" (Stills) – 2:30
Recorded August 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Kind Woman" (Furay) – 4:10
Recorded February-March 6, 1968, Atlantic Studios, New York City & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Jim Messina. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Bluebird" (Stills) – 4:28
Recorded April 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bobby West
"On the Way Home" (Young) – 2:25
Recorded November 15-December 13, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer.

Side Two:

"Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" (Young) – 3:26
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Broken Arrow" (Young) – 6:13
Recorded August 25 & September 5-18, 1967, Columbia Recording Studios & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Rock and Roll Woman" (Stills) – 2:44
Recorded June 22, August 8 & October 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Rhythm guitar: Jim Fielder. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"I Am a Child" (Young) – 2:15
Recorded February 5, 1968, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Gary Marker. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Go and Say Goodbye" (Stills) – 2:19
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Expecting to Fly" (Young)– 3:39
Recorded May 6, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Arrangement: Jack Nitzsche. Note: Neil Young is the only member of the group who appears on this recording.

MI0001752199_zpscabe405c.jpg

Moonlight Becomes You -- Remastered CD

Willie Nelson

1993 Justice Records

As of the year 2000, Moonlight Becomes You is the bestselling album in the catalog of Justice Records, the Houston-based former independent now partnering with Buddha, and a low-key gem in Nelson's vast archive of recordings. Originally released in 1993, Moonlight features much of the same cast who contributed to Nelson's 1981 classic standards album, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, including coproducer-mandola player Paul Buskirk, fiddler Johnny Gimble, rhythm guitarist Freddie Powers, and bassist Dean Reynolds. The idea was to play popular standards--the title track, "Sentimental Journey," "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise," "You Always Hurt the One You Love"--in an intimate acoustic-swing style. The concept works splendidly, of course, thanks to Nelson's seemingly effortless vocals and the consistently high quality of the accompaniment. Nelson bookends the album with a pair of his own exquisite compositions, "December Day" and "In God's Eyes." --Rick Mitchell

Track Listing
1. December Day*
2. Moonlight Becomes You
3. Afraid
4. Heart Of A Clown
5. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
6. Everywhere You Go
7. Have I Stayed Away Too Long
8. Sentimental Journey
9. World Is Waiting For The Sunrise
10. You'll Never Know
11. I'll Keep On Loving You
12. You Just Can't Play A Sad Song On A Banjo
13. You Always Hurt The One You Love
14. Someday (You'll Want Me To Want You)
15. In God's Eyes

*Before track 1 there is an audio message from Willie Nelson. To access this track, press "play" & rewind from track 1.

MOONLIGHT BECOMES YOU was nominated for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Performance in the 37th Annual Grammy Awards

Personnel: Willie Nelson (vocals, guitar); Paul Buskirk (guitar, mandola); Freddie Powers (guitar, background vocals); Johnny Gimble (fiddle, background vocals); Paul Schmitt (piano); Dean Reynolds (bass); Mike LeFebvre (drums).Producers: Paul Buskirk, Willie Nelson, Randall Hage Jamail.Recorded at Pedernales Recording Studio, Spicewood, Texas.

Today's work truck music....

71N5SqwhpBL.jpg

Duke Elegant -- CD

Dr. John Performing the music of Duke Ellington

2000 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Mac "Dr. John" Rebennack playing songs from the canon of Duke Ellington is as natural as the break of day. But the gris-gris king interprets Ellington in a way unlike anyone else. "Mood Indigo," arranged for Dr. John's six-man New Orleans group, takes on a fresh, heartfelt immediacy with the good doctor's vocals and piano locked into a relaxed groove. He sings another slice of essential Ellingtonia, "Do Nothing 'til You Hear from Me," with a lighthearted nonchalance that epitomizes the worthiest New Orleans performers. Dr. John packages snippets of his keyboard playing as panaceas for the soul on a funked-up interpretation of "Caravan," even spinning off on a "Wade in the Water" tangent before wrapping up the song. But with so many, many Ellington nuggets to dust off for reinterpretation, one wonders why Dr. John elected to go with popular numbers that get covered again and again. To his credit, he does serve up the lesser-known "The Flaming Sword," where his piano is luminous in the Calypso fashion of Professor Longhair, and he offers delightful, fonkified updates of the Ellington obscurities "On the Wrong Side of the Railroad Tracks" and "I'm Gonna Go Fishin'." --Frank-John Hadley

Track listing

1. On the Wrong Side of the Railroad Tracks
2. I'm Gonna Go Fishin'
3. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
4. Perdido Street Blues
5. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
6. Solitude
7. Satin Doll
8. Mood Indigo
9. Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me
10. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
11. Caravan
12. Flaming Sword, The

Today's work truck music....

cd-cover-1.jpg

Best of Dark Horse 1976 -1989 -- CD

George Harrison

1989 Dark Horse/Warner Bros. Records

Overlooked and Undervalued, March 17, 2003
By "bjohnson65" (HAMPTON, Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Dark Horse (Audio CD)

I love this CD! Many Harrison purists have scoffed at this one because it's not his best work -- but I found it a wonderful collection anyway. Although most of my favorite songs are also available from the CLOUD NINE collection, there was enough additional material to make it a worth while purchase -- especially CHEER DOWN which was only available on the LETAL WEAPON 2 soundtrack. This album was particularly hard to find! Get it while you can!

1. "Poor Little Girl" George Harrison previously unreleased 4:33
2. "Blow Away" George Harrison George Harrison 3:59
3. "That's the Way It Goes" George Harrison Gone Troppo 3:34
4. "Cockamamie Business" George Harrison previously unreleased 5:15
5. "Wake Up My Love" George Harrison Gone Troppo 3:32
6. "Life Itself" George Harrison Somewhere in England 4:24
7. "Got My Mind Set on You" Rudy Clark Cloud Nine 3:52
8. "Crackerbox Palace" George Harrison Thirty Three & 1/3 3:56
9. "Cloud 9" George Harrison Cloud Nine 3:14
10. "Here Comes the Moon" (Single Edit) George Harrison George Harrison 4:09
11. "Gone Troppo" George Harrison Gone Troppo 4:23
12. "When We Was Fab" George Harrison, Jeff Lynne Cloud Nine 3:56
13. "Love Comes to Everyone" (Single Edit) George Harrison George Harrison 3:40
14. "All Those Years Ago" George Harrison Somewhere in England 3:44
15. "Cheer Down" George Harrison, Tom Petty Lethal Weapon 2 Soundtrack 4:08

SATemptation_1_zps0b3368e4.jpg

Temptation -- Stereo SACD

Steve Kuhn Trio

2001/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Steve Kuhn mixes standards and forgotten gems in these 2001 studio sessions with bassist Buster Williams and drummer Billy Drummond. Beginning with a tantalizing take of "Temptation" that has a slight Latin undercurrent, Kuhn finds new directions in these timeless pieces. "Dark Eyes" is another gem that has long fallen out of favor, though Kuhn's intricate workout demonstrates that there is plenty of life left in this decades-old warhorse. His treatment of Michel Legrand's "The Summer Knows" (written as theme music for the early-'70s film Summer of '42) is a bit jagged rather than the usual setting as a straight, slow, bittersweet ballad. John Lewis' "Django" has long been a favorite of jazz musicians, and the trio's elegant setting opens with an imaginative improvisation, slowly working into its well-known theme. Kuhn's sole original, "A Likely Story," is a driving post-bop vehicle that never runs out of steam. It's hard to go wrong by purchasing any Steve Kuhn CD, and this is among his best dates. Review by Ken Dryden

Tracklist:

1 Temptation 7:17
2 Dark Eyes 6:06
3 You Better Go Now 6:20
4 The Summer Knows 7:48
5 Love Is Here To Stay 6:40
6 Django 3:30
7 A Likely Story 9:17
8 I Can't Get Started 5:27

Steve Kuhn - Piano
Buster Williams - Bass
Billy Drummond - Drums

61IHUyxxREL_zpse9234eda.jpg

House Of David -- 2 CD Box Set

David "Fathead" Newman Anthology

1993 Atlantic-Rhino Records

David "Fathead" Newman made his name as the standout tenor saxophonist in the Ray Charles Band for 20 years, and seven of the 27 tracks in this set feature Newman echoing Charles's jazzy R&B vocals or piano riffs. Other tracks find Newman blowing behind R&B singers Zuzu Bollin, Aretha Franklin, Jimmy Scott, Dr. John, and Aaron Neville. There was a soulful, vocal quality to Newman's sax, even on the instrumental jazz dates where he was the leader, and the melody and emotion of the song never slipped out of focus. Neither a great composer, improvisor, nor innovator, Newman was nonetheless a master of playing simple but appealing jazz variations on catchy R&B themes.--Geoffrey Himes

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Why Don't You Eat Where You Slept Last Night?
2. Greenbacks
3. Pts. 1-2 Rock House
4. Ain't Misbehavin'
5. Blues Waltz
6. Talkin' 'Bout You
7. Hard Times
8. Willow Weep for Me
9. Fathead
10. That's Enough
11. Let the Good Times Roll
12. Esther's Melody
13. Congo Chant
14. Night of Nisan
15. Sister Sadie

DISC 2:
1. The Holy Land
2. The Clincher
3. That's All
4. Yesterday
5. The Thirteenth Floor
6. Chained No More
7. Missy
8. For Buster
9. Ramblin'
10. Day by Day
11. Candy
12. Pledging My Love

HOUSE OF DAVID contains 27 tracks recorded between 1952 and 1983 and includes a 32-page booklet with historic photographs, complete personnel listings and track annotations

.Personnel: David "Fathead" Newman (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Zuzu Bollin (vocals, guitar); Dr. John, Ray Charles (vocals, piano); James Scott, Aaron Neville, Little Jimmy Scott, Aretha Franklin (vocals); Herlin Riley (guitar, drums); Cornell Dupree, David Spinozza, Wesley Jackson , Freddie Green, Hugh McCracken, Kenny Burrell, Renard Poch‚, Ted Dunbar, Billy Butler (guitar); Eric Gale (electric guitar); Winston Collymore, Leo Kruczek, Richard Elias, Leo Kahn, Matthew Raimondi, Gene Orloff, Emanuel Green (violin); Alfred Brown , Selwart Clarke (viola); Kermit Moore (cello); Julius Schachter, Sanford Allen (strings); Jack Knitzer (oboe); Frank Wess, Marshall Royal, George Dorsey (alto saxophone); Don Wilkerson, King Curtis, Paul Gonsalves, Seldon Powell, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Emmett Dennis, Hank Crawford, Haywood Henry, Jerome Richardson, Pepper Adams, Leroy Cooper, Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Richard Gene Williams , Clark Terry, Ernie Royal, Philip Guilbeau, Joe Bridgewater, Lee Harper, Richard Harper, Bobby Simmons, Charles Whitley, Jimmy Owens, Joe Newman , Marcus Belgrave, Snooky Young, Bernie Glow, John Hunt , Blue Mitchell, Melvin Lastie (trumpet); Paul Ingram, Julius Watkins (French horn); Al Gray, Jimmy Cleveland, Melba Liston, Quentin Jackson, Thomas Mitchell, Urbie Green, Benny Powell (trombone); Bruno Carr (piano, drums); Charlie Morgan , Joe Zawinul, Junior Mance, Kirk Lightsey, Wynton Kelly (piano); Kossie Gardner (organ); Sampson Henry, Art Neville (keyboards); Steve Nelson (vibraphone); Chuck Rainey (electric bass); Richie Goldberg, Eddie Gladden, Glenn Brooks, Jimmy Johnson, Jr. , Teagle Fleming, William Peeples, Sylvester Morton, Rudy Collins, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Milt Turner, Herman V. Ernest III, Charles Collins , Charlie Persip (drums); Omar Clay, Ralph MacDonald (percussion); The Cookies , The Raelettes (background vocals).Liner Note Author: David Ritz.Recording information: A & R Studios, New York, NY (1952-1989); Atlantic Studios, New York, NY (1952-1989); Capitol Studios, New York, NY (1952-1989); Coastal Recorders, New York, NY (1952-1989); Dallas, TX (1952-1989); Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI (1952-1989); Power Stat (1952-1989); Top Of The Gate, New York, NY (1952-1989); WGST, Atlanta, GA (1952-1989).Arrangers: Marty Paich; Quincy Jones; Arif Mardin; Wardell Quezergue; William S. Fischer.

Never really thought I'd enjoy hearing Journey like this again.

Still can't stand a lot of the 80s stuff that I loved (and overdosed on) as a kid. But I recently picked up "Infinity" of which I was only familiar with a couple of tracks. Perry sounds great. And I enjoy the alternate singing with Greg Rollie on "anytime". I'm diggin' that 70s vibe, too!

514hJkvMGiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Journey_Infinity.jpg

Happy Easter Sunday everyone...

0000024789_500.jpg

These Are Soulful Days -- CD

Benny Green - Russell Malone - Christian McBride

1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Always an effusive pianist with a relentlessly melodic approach, Benny Green celebrates Blue Note's 60th Anniversary by culling eight tunes from the label's back catalog and cutting loose with a drummerless trio that includes former cohorts Russell Malone on guitar and bassist Christian McBride. The harmonic rapport of Green and Malone is immediately apparent in their exacting unison lines to open Horace Silver's "Virgo," which also features McBride's resonant bow work. No longer a wunderkind, the 36-year-old Green solos with youthful intensity (check the dynamic force of "Bellarosa") but also showcases his ensemble maturity by shouldering some of the rhythmic duty and giving Malone ample space to explore a more kinetic side of his muse. Malone's chords, Green's left hand, and McBride's yeoman time-keeping provide plenty of percussive context. Saving the best for last, the trio returns to Silver for a bluesy "Come On Home" that inspires Malone into perhaps the most commanding uptempo passages of his career thus far. --Britt Robson

Track listing:
1. Virgo 4:19
2. Bellarosa 5:41
3. Summer Nights 5:00
4. Punjab 5:40
5. These Are Soulful Days 6:48
6. Ernie's Tune 3:03
7. Hocus-Pocus 6:06
8. Come on Home 8:07

41YsMq28NxL.jpg

Angel Band -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1987 Warner Bros. Records

On this 1987 recording, Emmylou Harris focuses on country ballads with a Christian bent. Many traditional songs arranged by Harris are heard here, including "If I Be Lifted Up," "Bright Morning Stars," "We Shall Rise," "Drifting Too Far," and the title track, "Angel Band." Songs by Paul Kennerly and Ralph and Carter Stanley are also featured.Lyrically, the songs on ANGEL BAND revolve around the pursuit of redemption, forgiveness, and joy in a world of heartbreak and loss. Musically, the group, consisting of country greats Vince Gill, Jerry Douglas, and Mark O'Connor among others, is sensitive, subtle and melodically compelling. The highlight of the album is the uplifting "When They Ring Those Golden Bells," which features fine instrumental work in addition to Harris's beautiful vocal performance.

Track Listing
1. Where Could I Go But to the Lord
2. Angel Band
3. If I Be Lifted Up
4. Precious Memories
5. Bright Morning Stars
6. When He Calls
7. We Shall Rise
8. Drifting Too Far
9. Who Will Sing For Me
10. Someday My Ship Will Sail
11. The Other Side of Life
12. When They Ring Those Golden Bells

Personnel: Emmylou Harris (vocals, guitar); Vince Gill (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Emory Gordy (vocals, guitar, bass); Carl Jackson (vocals, guitar);Mike Aldridge, Jerry Douglas (dobro); Mark O'Connor (fiddle, viola, mandola).Engineers include: Donivan Cowart, Joe Scaif, Paul Goldberg.Recorded at The Barn, Brentwood, Tennessee and The Music Mill, Nashville, Tennessee.

JohnnyCashMyMothersHymnBook_zps8040d91d.jpg

My Mother's Hymn Book -- CD

Johnny Cash

2004 Lost Highway Records

Previously released as the fourth disc in the UNEARTHED box set, MY MOTHER'S HYMN BOOK, like the lauded AMERICAN RECORDINGS album, features only two instruments--Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar and his unmistakable baritone voice. Recorded at Cash's cabin in rural Tennessee, this spare, unadorned set consists of classic country gospel standards handpicked by Cash from the hymnal of the title. The contents run from the heavenly ode "Where We'll Never Grow Old" to the sauntering "I Am a Pilgrim," and the redemptive "I'll Fly Away." Despite the Man in Black's failing health at the time of this recording, he sounds amazingly vital and notably moved on each and every song. Cash writes in the liner notes, "On that album, I nailed it. That was me....I'm so glad that I got that done." The overwhelming sense of completion and closure is especially fitting, since HYMN BOOK is the final set of songs recorded by Cash with the specific intention of an album. As a testament to a remarkable man and his unshakable faith, nothing could be more fitting.

Track Listing
1. Where We'll Never Grow Old
2. I Shall Not Be Moved
3. I Am a Pilgrim
4. Do Lord
5. When the Roll Is Called up Yonder
6. If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Where the Soul of Man Never Dies
9. Let the Lower Lights Be Burning
10. When He Reached Down
11. In the Sweet by and By
12. I'm Bound For the Promised Land
13. In the Garden
14. Softly and Tenderly
15. Just as I Am

Personnel: Johnny Cash (Vocals & Guitar).

comomamas_getanunde_101b_zps6cf979ba.jpg

Get An Understanding -- CD

The Como Mamas

2005/2013 Daptone Records

The Como Mamas are a trio of gospel singers from Como, a tiny town in Panola County in northwestern Mississippi. Ester Mae Smith, Angela Taylor, and her sister Della Daniels have been singing together since they were children. The trio appeared on Daptone's excellent compilation Como Now, a collection of a cappella gospel tunes recorded and produced by Michael Reilly using Mount Mariah Church as a studio. The Como Mamas performed three selections on that set. Like its predecessor, Get an Understanding is recorded a cappella and was cut front-to-back in a single morning at the church. This trio of voices provides more than enough sound for any listener; musical instruments would have been an intrusion. The throaty, raspy vocals of Smith lead the group's; her voice is earthshaking in its intensity; its expression one of coming right through the heart of worldly hardship -- aka the blues -- and plowing right on through it to the glory of the heavens. Taylor and Daniels voices provide pronounced rhythms, soulful harmonies, affirmative cadences, proclamations, and exhortations that push Smith's own conviction ever forward, through the lyrics and into the world of sound itself. Well-known spirituals "Peace of Mind," "Meet Me at the River Jordan," "I Know It Was the Blood," and "Soon I Will Be Done" are rendered with grainy rawness and stylistic panache, and embody not merely the history of Black gospel, but also the blues and rhythm & blues. No matter one's spiritual beliefs -- or lack of them -- she would have to have sawdust in her veins in place of blood not to be deeply moved by what is on display here. The term "soul stirring" doesn't begin to touch it. For those who seek the sounds of traditional gospel, à la Dorothy Love Coates and Clara Ward, or have been curious about gospel at its best, Get an Understanding is for you. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Old Landmark
2. God Is Able
3. God Is Good to Me
4. Thank Him Enough
5. Peace of Mind
6. I Know It Was the Blood
7. Meet Me at the River Jordan
8. Ninety Nine and a Half Won't Do
9. Soon I Will Be Done
10. One More River to Cross
11. I'm Going Home to Jesus
12. Hold Me Jesus
13. Nobody's Fault But Mine

91OqsSmdryL_zps5c033530.jpg

Love & Hate -- CD

Joan Osborne

2014 Womanly Hips/Eone Records

Editorial Reviews
This one feels a little different, Joan Osborne says of her new release Love and Hate. In addition to being the beloved singer-songwriter and seven time Grammy nominees eighth studio album and her eOne debut, the 12 song set is one of the most personally charged, creatively ambitious efforts of her two-decades-plus recording career.

While Osborne has already earned a reputation as both a commanding, passionate performer and a frank, emotionally evocative songwriter, her soulful song craft reaches a new level of musical and lyrical resonance on Love and Hate. Such insightful, emotionally complex new compositions as Where We Start, Work On Me, Kittens Got Claws, Keep It Underground and the pointed title track survey some of the more complicated terrain of romantic relationships, in a manner thats rarely been attempted in popular music, while the albums intimate, stripped-down sound marks a stylistic departure from the gritty blues-based rock for which Osborne is best known.

I feel like each song on this album talks about a different aspect of love, she says. She continues: Love isn't just one thing; it encompasses faith, passion, power struggles, humor, anguish, spirituality, lust, anger, everything on that spectrum. The people we love can bring out the very best and the absolute worst in us, because the leap that you make in trusting another person makes you vulnerable. When the endorphin rush of falling in love stops, that's when the difficult work comes in. So I tried to come up with songs that were about different aspects of this continuum.

Love and Hate is the product of an extended birth cycle that spanned no less than seven years a period during which Osborne released two other albums and worked on an assortment of other musical projects. She and co producer/guitarist Jack Petruzzelli with whom she also recorded 2012s Bring It On Home, which was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Blues Album category had initially intended to make a lush, pastoral album in the mold of Van Morrisons Astral Weeks or Nick Drake's Pink Moon. But as she continued to write songs for the project, Osborne found herself drawn towards more personal subject matter.

1. Where We Start
2. Work On Me
3. Mongrels
4. Train
5. Up All Night
6. Not Too Well Acquainted
7. Thirsty For My Tears
8. Love and Hate
9. Kitten's Got Claws
10. Secret Room
11. Keep It Underground
12. Raga

df655618050759d392969abbab369544_fu.jpg

Sapphire Blue -- CD

Larry Carlton

2003 Bluebird Records
*****AWESOME*****, October 29, 2003
By M. P. Wright (HOUSTON, TX USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Saphire Blue (Audio CD)

This is one of the best guitar CDs I have ever heard. Larry is one of the top jazz guitarists in the world and anyone familiar with his work will be blown away by these instrumental gems. Larry's liner notes state "I have wanted for many years to do a 'blues oriented' CD. For 'Saphire Blue' I had complete creative freedom." I assume his desire for creative freedom has something to do with the fact that this cd is only available as an import. Don't let the price scare you - it's worth every penny.

Larry maintains an upbeat jazz/blues focus while showcasing his brilliant dexterity and encyclopedic knowledge of various styles. My personal favorites are "Night Sweats" and "Take Me Down". The former begins with ominous keyboard changes that bring to mind "Come Together" by the Beatles and progesses into slow, simmering jazz groove that could have been lifted from a Steely Dan CD. The later is an acoustic guitar/harmonica exchange between Larry and his old buddy Terry McMillan. I immediately thought of "Black Water" by the Doobie Bros. Other highlights include the title track which has a B.B. King feel to it and the bouncy bonus track "Room 335". The stellar backup musicians include Reese Wynan (formerly with Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble) on B-3 organ, Mark Douthit on tenor sax and excellent horn arrangements by Jim Horn. I would give this CD 10 stars if I could - it's really that good! Can't wait to see him in concert 11/15.

Track Listing
1. Friday Night Shuffle
2. Pair of Kings, A
3. Night Sweats
4. Sapphire Blue
5. 7 for You
6. Slightly Dirty
7. Just an Excuse
8. Take Me Down

Back