• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

heeman said:
Dennie said:
810dJktucTL_zps32f4103c.jpg

Nathan East -- CD

Nathan East

2014 Yamaha Entertainment

For more than three decades Nathan East, the founding member of world-renowned jazz quartet Fourplay, has been called upon to perform on hit songs for many of the greatest artists in music including 2013 record of the year "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk. With a mix of instrumental and vocal compositions, and produced by Chris Gero and Nathan East, the anticipated self-titled album delivers 13 songs featuring the new single "Daft Funk," plus compositions by Nathan East, Bob James, Pat Metheny, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Chuck Loeb, Steve Winwood and Michael McDonald among other.

Track Listings

1. 101 Eastbound

2. Sir Duke

3. Letter From Home

4. Moondance

5. I Can Let Go Now

6. Daft Funk

7. SeveNate

8. Can't Find My Way Home

9. Moodswing

10. Overjoyed

11. Yesterday

12. Madiba

13. America The Beautiful

Dennie, I am very interested in this one. How is it? How is the mix? Thanks, Keith

Well, I'm not as thrilled as I thought I would be. The word that comes to mind for the whole album is Smooth. Which is not a bad thing, but I hoped it would be a little more R&B or Funky. I'm not a fan of Michael McDonald, so "Moondance" doesn't do much for me. Sir Duke is again, smooth with some drive, but not as funky as I hoped. "Can't find my way home" has a good groove and Clapton's guitar work is sweet, but Nathan's voice is a little higher than Winwood's and again, it is very smooth. I think the orchestra throws me a little. I'd prefer to hear Nathan in a trio or quartet setting, a la Foreplay, so I'm a little disappointed for now. I've only listened to it once, it may get better with more plays.

The recording quality is good. This is my first "Yamaha" disc (I think) and they've done a good job with mastering.

Great musicianship through out, if you like smooth music, this may be for you. If not, you may want to listen to some samples before plunking down your dough.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

Today's work truck music.....

61Sx35ujZKL.jpg

The Doors -- CD

The Doors

1967/1990 Elektra Records

Amazon.com

On their 1967 debut album, the Doors more than fulfilled the promise of their infamously challenging gigs around Los Angeles throughout the previous year. Whether belting out a standard like "Back Door Man" or talk-singing such originals as "The Crystal Ship" and "I Looked at You," leather-clad vocalist Jim Morrison exuded both sensuality and menace. The mixture, on the outsize album finale, "The End," helped rewrite the rules on rock song composition. None of this would have worked, though, were it not for the highly visual instrumental work of keyboardist Ray Manzarek, guitarist Robbie Krieger, and drummer John Densmore, whose work on tracks such as "Take It As It Comes" and the lengthy hit "Light My Fire" virtually defined the rock-blues-jazz-classical amalgam that was acid-rock. --Billy Altman

Side one

"Break on Through (To the Other Side)" – 2:29
"Soul Kitchen" – 3:35
"The Crystal Ship" – 2:34
"Twentieth Century Fox" – 2:33
"Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)" (Bertolt Brecht, Kurt Weill) – 3:20
"Light My Fire" – 7:06

Side two

"Back Door Man" (Willie Dixon) – 3:34
"I Looked at You" – 2:22
"End of the Night" – 2:52
"Take It as It Comes" – 2:23
"The End" – 11:41

Dennie said:
6065225b9da06b9af9ced010.L.jpg

In my estimation there are only a few "Classic Rock" (Pop-Rock) albums from the 80's that are worth owning, this is one of them, I have it, and you should too.

I couldn't agree more Dennie! A classic 80's album! I saw Lou solo at a venue in New York state many years ago. It was pretty cool! He was a bit gruff & raw, but he was the voice of Foreigner as I remembered.

You mentioned John 'Mutt' Lange. Shania Twain's ex-husband, sad story, what a beauty she is. I enjoy songs from her two CD's, "Come On Over" & The Woman In Me".

Babs said:
Dennie said:
6065225b9da06b9af9ced010.L.jpg

In my estimation there are only a few "Classic Rock" (Pop-Rock) albums from the 80's that are worth owning, this is one of them, I have it, and you should too.

I couldn't agree more Dennie! A classic 80's album! I saw Lou solo at a venue in New York state many years ago. It was pretty cool! He was a bit gruff & raw, but he was the voice of Foreigner as I remembered.

You mentioned John 'Mutt' Lange. Shania Twain's ex-husband, sad story, what a beauty she is. I enjoy songs from her two CD's, "Come On Over" & The Woman In Me".

Hi Babs,

Please know, most of the reviews I post are NOT written by me. Although I do look for reviews that are similar to my views.

With that said, I do agree with you and Lou is the voice of Foreigner for me too. Yes, a very sad situation for Shania. I could not believe what happened and I'm proud of her comeback. "God Bless The Child" is one of my all time favorite Shania songs. "Mutt" is a co-writer, but we'll just ignore that! LOL

SHANIA TWAIN LYRICS
"God Bless The Child (Extended Remix)"

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
God bless the child who suffers
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
God bless the young without mothers
This child is homeless,
That child's on crack
One plays with a gun,
while the other takes a bullet in his back
This boy's a beggar,
That girl sells her soul
They both work the same street,
The same hell hole

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Let every man help his brother

Some are born addicted and some are just thrown away
Some have daddies who make them play games they don't want to play

But with hope and faith
We must understand
All God's children need is love
And us to hold their little hands

This boy is hungry, he ain't got enought to eat
That girl's cold and she ain't got no shoes on her feet

When a child's spirit's broken
And feels all hope is gone
God help them find the strength to carry on

But with hope and faith
Yea, we can understand
All God's children need is love
And us to hold their little hands

Hallelujah, hallelujah
Let us all love one another
Hallelujah, hallelujah
Make all our hearts bilnd to color
Hallelujah, hallelujah

Dennie :music-listening:

Classic Soul, with the best possible sound..... :text-bravo:

424ed250fca067f327d65010.L.jpg

I've Got The Music In Me -- D2D CD

Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker

1990 JVC/Sheffield Labs-2 CD (Import Japan)

Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker team up for "I've Got The Music In Me" January 20, 2013
By Perverted Alchemist
Format:Audio CD

The recording studio Sheffield Lab had a reputation of releasing stellar recordings. Most of that had to do with their technique of recording their sessions direct to disc. One of their most celebrated works was the 1975 album "I've Got The Music In Me"- a collaboration between Motown Records singer Thelma Houston and an array of in-demand session musicians named Pressure Cooker. Most of the session players have made the rounds appearing on countless jazz, rock and soft rock records in the early-to-mid 70's. Among them featured are arrangers and musicians Michael Omartian and Mike Melvoin (who's also the father to former Prince proteges Wendy and Susannah Melvoin and late Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin). Also appearing on the album are session drummers Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner, jazz guitarists Larry Carlton and Dean Parks with horn players Jim Horn, Richard Perissi, Chuck Findley and Tom Scott. Rounding out the band are keyboard players Larry Knechtel and Lincoln Mayorga with background singers Jim Gilstrap, Lisa Roberts and Myrna Matthews.

"I've Got The Music In Me" is mostly an album of cover songs. They interpret such famous songs such as "To Know You Is To Love You", a song that was originally performed by Stevie Wonder's former wife Syreeta Wright. They also take on the Kiki Dee classic "I've Got The Music In Me", as well as The Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life". Also included is the song "Don't Misunderstand", which was written by political activist and photographer Gordon Parks. However, the album's stand out tracks are the instrumentals. They stretch out on the song "Reggae Tune" as well as on "Dish Rag". They also strut their collective stuff on the song "Pressure Cooker"- a song which these days is best known as the sample behind Lupe Fiasco's duet with Jay-Z "Pressure". Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker's album is one that sought after by collectors and highly revered by astute audiophiles. However, one doesn't need to be an audiophile to appreciate the greatness that is "I've Got The Music In Me". One listen to this album and it becomes very clear as to why this recording is thought of as being a masterpiece.

1. I've Got the Music in Me
2. Reggae Tune [Instrumental]
3. To Know You Is to Love You
4. Pressure Cooker [Instrumental]
5. Don't Misunderstand
6. Step in Time [Instrumental]
7. Dish Rag [Instrumental]
8. Got to Get You into My Life/I've Got the Music in Me (Reprise)

61hbflhuDyL.jpg

Impressions of Curtis Mayfield -- CD

Jazz Soul Seven

2012 BFM Jazz

Curtis Mayfield wasn't quite like anyone else, whether it was penning and singing the timeless hits of the Impressions ("It's All Right," "Move On Up," "I'm So Proud," "Keep On Pushing," "People Get Ready," "Gypsy Woman") or writing, arranging, and singing the sturdy, elegant funk explorations of his solo years ("Freddie's Dead," "Superfly"), he was always his own message to the world. This wonderful set features seven already accomplished jazz musicians (guitarist Phil Upchurch, drummer Terri Lynne Carrington, bassist Bob Hurst, trumpet player Wallace Roney, saxophonist Ernie Watts, keyboardist Russ Ferrante, and percussionist Master Henry Gibson) re-imagining some of Mayfield's classic compositions in a jazz ensemble setting. Calling itself Jazz Soul Seven, this remarkably versatile and fluid group of musicians has created a beautifully balanced and nuanced tribute to Mayfield, with classics like "People Get Ready," already a majestic recording in the original version by the Impressions, stretching in shining new directions. Mayfield had jazz elements in his own recordings from the start, so this set seems like an easy extension of his initial soundscapes, smooth, easy, and with an onward rhythmic energy. ~ Steve Leggett

Track Listing
1. Freddie's Dead
2. It's All Right
3. Move On Up
4. We're a Winner
5. Superfly
6. Beautiful Brother of Mine
7. Check Out Your Mind
8. I'm So Proud
9. Keep On Pushing
10. People Get Ready
11. Gypsy Woman
12. Amen

Personnel: Phil Upchurch (guitar); Ernie Watts (saxophone); Wallace Roney (trumpet); Russ Ferrante (piano); Terri Lyne Carrington (drums); Master Henry Gibson (percussion).Audio Mixer: Tom Luekens.Liner Note Author: A. Scott Galloway.Recording information: The Bakery, North Hollywood, CA.Photographer: Markus Cuff.Arranger: Phil Upchurch.

51oovfmORCL.jpg

Night Train -- Remastered CD

The Oscar Peterson Trio

1963/1997 Verve Master Edition

Outstanding and essential jazz piano, July 12, 2002
By
Jon Warshawsky "Sinatra Guru"
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)

Night Train is one of the best jazz piano albums I have yet to hear. Oscar Peterson is spellbinding -- both at breakneck and leisurely speeds -- and the ensemble is tight. Favorites here include Ellington's C-Jam Blues (only two notes!), The Honeydripper, Moten Swing, a definitive Band Call and of course a memorable rendition of the title track. I am a huge fan of Dave Brubeck, but one ride on the Night Train and it's obvious Peterson was something special. If you like exciting jazz piano -- this isn't background music -- Night Train is essential.
The bonus tracks? I don't like to complain about getting something for nothing, but it would not be hard to argue that the original album is a classic that needed no embellishment. Even with lesser songs, Peterson turns in a convincing performance and these pass muster. 'Now's the Time' is an amazing bit of keyboard athleticism -- a performance more worthy than the tune. 'This Could Be the Start of Something' is similarly a superior performance of a not-so-superior number.
The jury is still out on Verve's cardboard CD jackets. It looks nice but is destined to fall apart long before the CD fails. Perhaps Verve thought they were doing us a favor. Still a five-star album, but packaging is (a small) part of the equation.

Track Listing
1. Night Train
2. C-Jam Blues
3. Georgia on My Mind
4. Bags' Groove
5. Moten Swing
6. Easy Does It
7. The Honeydripper
8. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
9. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
10. Band Call
11. Hymn to Freedom
12. Night Train - (previously unreleased)
13. Volare - (previously unreleased)
14. My Heart Belongs to Daddy - (previously unreleased)
15. Moten Swing - (previously unreleased rehearsal take)
16. Now's the Time - (previously unreleased)
17. This Could Be the Start of Something - (previously unreleased)

Oscar Peterson Trio: Oscar Peterson (piano); Ray Brown (bass); Ed Thigpen (drums).Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, California on December 16, 1962.

modernjazzq_dedicated_101b_zps67824242.jpg

Dedicated To Connie -- 2 CD Set

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1960/1995 Atlantic Records

Regarding this 1960 live date, recorded in Slovenia, group leader John Lewis writes in the album liner notes, "In my opinion, never before or since has the Modern Jazz Quartet played better, whether on stage or in the recording studio." That's quite a statement, but the performances herein give little cause for dispute. The MJQ's unique blend of elements is all here, including their chamber-music sensibility (which features a classical feel for the extended line, along with Ellingtonian themes and flourishes) fused with hard-bop aesthetics. Pianist Lewis, vibraphonist Milt Jackson, bassist Percy Heath, and drummer Connie Kay display true inspiration here.The two-disc set captures one of the most remarkable qualities of the group, and that is its ability to sound studied and precise, while maintaining melodic and rhythmic variation. A few standards ("'Round Midnight;" "How High the Moon") pepper this list of mostly originals, including Lewis's classic "Django" and Jackson's smooth-moving "Bag's Groove." The tapes from this remarkable concert were discovered during '95 in the months following Kay's death, and the album--a testament to the group's unique sound and chemistry--was released in Kay's memory.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. The Little Comedy: La Cantatrice / Harlequin / Fontessa
2. 'Round Midnight
3. Cylinder
4. Bag's Groove
5. Odds Against Tomorrow
6. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
7. A Social Call

DISC 2:
1. Django
2. I Should Care
3. How High the Moon
4. Colombine / Pulcinella
5. Spanish Steps
6. Pyramid (Blues For Junior)
7. Milt Meets Sid
8. I Remember Clifford
9. Vendome
10. Skating in Central Park

Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraharp); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Recorded live in Ljubljana, Slovenia on May 27, 1960. Includes liner notes by John Lewis.

51lgTprqDTL.jpg

Recorded Fall 1961 -- 24 Bit Remastered CD

Stan Getz - Bob Brookmeyer

1961/2002 Verve Master Edition

Shortly after returning to the U.S. (following three years in Copenhagen) Stan Getz had a musical reunion with Bob Brookmeyer. As usual the cool-toned tenor blends in very well with the valve trombonist and, backed by a fine rhythm section (pianist Steve Kuhn, bassist John Neves and drummer Roy Haynes), they perform three Brookmeyer pieces (including one titled "Minuet Circa '61"), two standards and Buck Clayton's "Love Jumped Out." This little-known session is often quite memorable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Minuet Circa '61
2. Who Could Care?
3. Nice Work If You Can Get It
4. Thump, Thump Thump
5. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
6. Love Jumped Out

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone); Steve Kuhn (piano); John Neves (bass); Roy Haynes (drums).Recorded at Nola Studios, New York, New York in September 1961. Originally released on Verve (8418). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Loren Schoenberg.All tracks have been digitally remastered

61EPYG2GbeL_zpsc667ce52.jpg

Super Chief -- Remastered CD

Count Basie

1936-42/2007 Columbia/Wounded Bird Records

This very interesting two-LP set has quite a variety of material from the 1936-42 period, including a few airchecks, small-group sessions led by Mildred Bailey, Harry James, Glenn Harriman and Teddy Wilson (all feature Basie sidemen), and some studio sessions by both Basie's orchestra and small groups from his big band. Along with the rarities is the very first post-Bennie Moten session, a quintet date (under the pseudonym of Jones-Smith Incorporated) from 1936 that served as the recording debut of Lester Young; "Lady Be Good" was one of his greatest solos. This two-LP set is highly recommended, if you can find it. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Shoe Shine Boy
2. Evenin'
3. Boogie Woogie
4. Oh Lady Be Good
5. Shout and Feel It
6. Every Tub
7. Where Shall I Go (Song of the Wanderer)
8. The Moon Got in My Eyes
9. It's a Natural Thing to Do
10. Life Goes to a Party
11. Upright Organ Blues
12. Who?
13. I've Found a New Baby
14. If Dreams Come True

DISC 2:
1. Miss Thing
2. Bolero at the Savoy
3. Let's Make Hey While the Moon Shines
4. Somebody Stole My Gal
5. Super Chief
6. It's the Same Old South
7. Love Jumped Out
8. I Ain't Got Nobody
9. Going to Chicago Blues
10. (Let Me) Live and Love Tonight
11. Love Me or Leave Me
12. Sugar Blues
13. Cafe Society Blues
14. St. Louis Blues

Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Helen Humes, Jimmy Rushing, Mildred Bailey, Billie Holiday (vocals); Freddie Green (guitar); Lester Young (clarinet, saxophone, tenor saxophone); Herschel Evans (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Ed Hall, Buster Bailey (clarinet); Jack Washington (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Earle Warren, Tab Smith (alto saxophone); Don Byas, Paul Bascomb, Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Carl "The Truth" Smith, Ed Lewis, Harry "Sweets" Edison , Harry James, Lee Castle, Shad Collins, Bobby Moore , Buck Clayton (trumpet); Dicky Wells, Eddie Durham, Benny Morton's All Stars, George Hunt, Dan Minor (trombone); Jess Stacy, Teddy Wilson, James Sherman (piano); Jo Jones (drums).Recording information: 10/09/1936-07/24/1942.

51HXiOPt2BAL_zpsd82a2745.jpg

...and His Hot Five & Seven 1925-28 -- CD

Louis Armstrong

1990 Laser Light Digital

Hot At Any Price July 18, 2006
By Brian Schiff
Format:Audio CD|Verified Purchase

This is one of a handful of cd's I gambled on without first hearing it.I just don't expect recordings from the twenties to be worth it;but this is an exception.Maybe some of the musicians playing with Armstrong sound a little old-but he sounds terrific- and modern.Great music-and not just for fans who just want to invest in a little history.This cd confirms why Armstrong was considered jazz's first great soloist-and still,maybe its most important.

1. Wild Man Blues
2. S.O.L. Blues
3. Basin Street Blues
4. Alligator Crawl
5. Ory's Creole Trombone
6. A Monday Date
7. West End Blues
8. Skid Dat De Dat
9. Muskrat Ramble
10. Savoy Blues
11. Yes I'm In The Barrel
12. Come Back Sweet Pea
13. Put 'Em Down Blues
14. Struttin' With Some Barbecue
15. Twelfth Street Rag
16. Cornet Shop Suey
17. Weary Blues
18. Melancholy Blues

61EHEZqmrVL.jpg

Jungle Fever - Soundtrack -- CD

Stevie Wonder

1991 Motown Records

Commissioned by Spike Lee to compose music for his film on interracial relationships, Stevie Wonder used JUNGLE FEVER as a triumphant entry into the '90s, after a decade marked by a spotty and sporadic output. Wonder plays a variety of instruments and does all of the arrangements for inspirational songs including the upbeat father-daughter ditty "Fun Day" and the gorgeous "These Three Words," a song about the goodness found within the strong bonds of familial love.Writing from the perspective of a jilted woman, Wonder penned "If She Breaks Your Heart" for the honey-sweet vocals of Kimberly Brewer. Elsewhere Wonder uses the language of funk to address family disharmony ("Each Other's Throats"), lust ("Gotta Have You") and interracial dating ("Jungle Fever.") While the melancholic ruminations of "Make Sure You're Sure" mark it as a potential jazz standard, the surprisingly bubbly "Chemical Love" belies the tragic make-up of Samuel Jackson's crack-addicted character in the film.

Track Listing
1. Fun Day
2. Queen in the Black
3. These Three Words
4. Each Other's Throat
5. If She Breaks Your Heart
6. Gotta Have You
7. Make Sure You're Sure
8. Jungle Fever
9. I Go Sailing
10. Chemical Love
11. Lighting Up the Candles

Personnel includes: Stevie Wonder (vocals, guitars, piano, bass, harmonica, percussion, drums, electric piano, synthesizers); Kimberly Brewer (vocals); Greg Poree (guitar); Julie Metz, Mark Safer, Pamela Gates Henderson, Vladimir Polimatio (strings); Larry Gittens (trumpet); Isaiah Sanders (synthesizer), Nathan Watts (bass, percussion); Alvino Bennett (drums); Baba Olatunji, Sikir'u Bimbo Adepoju, Earl DeRouen, Lenny Castro, Munyungo, Vaughn Halyard (percussion); Boyz II Men, Bridgette Bryant, Lynne Fiddmont-Linsey, Nancy Fields, Samson Malelu, Mary Tameno, Norah Mbusi, Chris Thiongo, Jane Tameno, Catherine Likimani, Grace Thande, Winnie Kuria, Maysa Leak, Darryl Phinnessee, Syreeta Wright, Shirley Brewer (background vocals).Engineers: Malcolm Cecil, Jimmy Sandweiss, Steve VanArden.Recorded at Wonderland Studios and 1 Der 1 Mobile Unit, Los Angeles, California

Man, this is good.... :banana-linedance:

424ed250fca067f327d65010.L.jpg

I've Got The Music In Me -- D2D CD

Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker

1990 JVC/Sheffield Labs CD-2 (Import Japan)

Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker team up for "I've Got The Music In Me" January 20, 2013
By Perverted Alchemist
Format:Audio CD

The recording studio Sheffield Lab had a reputation of releasing stellar recordings. Most of that had to do with their technique of recording their sessions direct to disc. One of their most celebrated works was the 1975 album "I've Got The Music In Me"- a collaboration between Motown Records singer Thelma Houston and an array of in-demand session musicians named Pressure Cooker. Most of the session players have made the rounds appearing on countless jazz, rock and soft rock records in the early-to-mid 70's. Among them featured are arrangers and musicians Michael Omartian and Mike Melvoin (who's also the father to former Prince proteges Wendy and Susannah Melvoin and late Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin). Also appearing on the album are session drummers Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner, jazz guitarists Larry Carlton and Dean Parks with horn players Jim Horn, Richard Perissi, Chuck Findley and Tom Scott. Rounding out the band are keyboard players Larry Knechtel and Lincoln Mayorga with background singers Jim Gilstrap, Lisa Roberts and Myrna Matthews.

"I've Got The Music In Me" is mostly an album of cover songs. They interpret such famous songs such as "To Know You Is To Love You", a song that was originally performed by Stevie Wonder's former wife Syreeta Wright. They also take on the Kiki Dee classic "I've Got The Music In Me", as well as The Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life". Also included is the song "Don't Misunderstand", which was written by political activist and photographer Gordon Parks. However, the album's stand out tracks are the instrumentals. They stretch out on the song "Reggae Tune" as well as on "Dish Rag". They also strut their collective stuff on the song "Pressure Cooker"- a song which these days is best known as the sample behind Lupe Fiasco's duet with Jay-Z "Pressure". Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker's album is one that sought after by collectors and highly revered by astute audiophiles. However, one doesn't need to be an audiophile to appreciate the greatness that is "I've Got The Music In Me". One listen to this album and it becomes very clear as to why this recording is thought of as being a masterpiece.

1. I've Got the Music in Me
2. Reggae Tune [Instrumental]
3. To Know You Is to Love You
4. Pressure Cooker [Instrumental]
5. Don't Misunderstand
6. Step in Time [Instrumental]
7. Dish Rag [Instrumental]
8. Got to Get You into My Life/I've Got the Music in Me (Reprise)

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

51ijfp30BfL.jpg

Red Garland's Piano -- Remastered 24bit CD

Red Garland - Paul Chambers - Art Taylor

1957/2006 Prestige/Concord Records

Red Garland's third session as a leader finds the distinctive pianist investigating eight standards (including "Please Send Me Someone to Love," "Stompin' at the Savoy," "If I Were a Bell," and "Almost Like Being in Love") with his distinctive chord voicings, melodic but creative ideas, and solid sense of swing. Joined by bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Art Taylor, Garland plays up to his usual consistent level, making this an easily recommended disc for straight-ahead fans. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Please Send Me Someone to Love
2. Stompin' at the Savoy
3. The Very Thought of You
4. Almost Like Being in Love
5. If I Were a Bell
6. I Know Why (And So Do You)
7. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
8. But Not for Me

Personnel: Red Garland (piano); Paul Chambers (upright bass); Art Taylor (drums).

51FKHmeMUVL.jpg

(2001

1. Frankie & Albert - Chirs Smither
2. Avalon, My Home Town - Bruce Cockburn
3. Angels Laid Him Away - Lucinda Williams
4. Here Am I, Oh Lord, Send Me - Alvin Youngblood Hart
5. Candy Man - Steve & Justin Earle
6. Monday Morning Blues - Peter Case & Dave Alvin
7. Sliding Delta - Ben Harper
8. Chicken - Geoff Muldaur (with Jenni & Claire Muldaur)
9. Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor - Mark Selby
10. Stagolee - Beck
11. Since I've Laid My Burden Down - Victoria Williams
12. Pay Day - Bill Morrissey
13. My Creole Belle - Taj Mahal
14. Beulah Land - Gillian Welch
15. I'm Satisfied - John Hiatt

If you're into traditional blues, and John's unique, light fingerpicking on the guitar, this is the best tribute album of his music I've heard.

~ :handgestures-thumbup:

41TdLa9CPoL.jpg

'Round About Midnight -- Remastered Mono CD

Miles Davis

1957/2013 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com

In 1955, Miles Davis signed on with jazz powerhouse Columbia Records. With alto and tenor saxophonists Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane, drummer Philly Joe Jones, bassist Paul Chambers, and pianist Red Garland, Davis released 'Round About Midnight, which evinces even more clearly what a phenomenal unit Davis was nurturing. Stylistically, Midnight encompasses standards (or soon-to-be standards) such as "Dear Old Stockholm," "Bye-Bye Blackbird," Tadd Dameron's "Tadd's Delight," and Jackie McLean's forward-thinking composition "Little Melonae." Miles and company reprise "Budo" from the historic Birth of the Cool sessions. The standout track is Davis's Harmon-muted reading of Thelonious Monk's ballad, "'Round Midnight, which is still a Miles standard bearer. Three alternate takes round out the session: "Two Bass Hit" and "Sweet Sue" feature adventuresome solos by Coltrane that preview his masterpiece "Giant Steps." And Garland moves away from his Ahmad Jamal pianisms with his introspective ivory ticklings. If you want to hear the origins of post-bop modern jazz, this is it. --Eugene Holley Jr.

1. 'Round Midnight
2. Ah-Leu-Cha
3. All Of You
4. Bye Bye Blackbird
5. Tadd's Delight
6. Dear Old Stockholm

Miles Davis – trumpet
John Coltrane – tenor saxophone
Red Garland – piano
Paul Chambers – bass
Philly Joe Jones – drums

31N8T56PCXL_zpsf6f9adc5.jpg

Workin' -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Miles Davis Quintet

1959/2003 Prestige/Fantasy Records

WORKIN' WITH THE MILES DAVIS QUINTET is a grab-bag of different moods culled from the 26 sides Miles cut in two final marathon sessions for Prestige on May 11 and October 26, 1956. From this stock of magnificent performances, Prestige also issued RELAXIN' and STEAMIN'.WORKIN' is notable for the bittersweet reverie of "It Never Entered My Mind," one of the most beautiful ballads Miles ever recorded. Red Garland's rippling second theme and bell-like intermezzo set off Miles' muted melody in sharp relief; Miles' poignant, breathy timbre and weightless phrasing is sheer poetry.But WORKIN' plumbs a variety of moods and grooves. Philly Joe Jones' dancing polyrhythms set the mood for Miles' famous lines "Four" and "Half Nelson." By now, Miles' work with the open horn is a product of his own aesthetic, distinguished by a thoughtful use of space, meticulous note placement and a variety of expressive brass shadings. By editing the more technocratic aspects of his line, Miles has arrived at a lighter, cooler, more personal style of phrasing. And now even the relentlessly forceful Coltrane exhibits greater patience and melodic focus.Musical treats abound. There are two delightful takes of Miles' coy, bluesy trademark "The Theme" and a funky statement of "Trane's Blues" (aka "Vierd Blues"). "Ahmad's Blues" is a low-down, after-hours feature for pianist Red Garland (who is not often accorded the credit he deserves for developing this cosmopolitan lyric style), featuring Paul Chambers' remarkable bow work. A perfect jazz band.

Track Listing
1. It Never Entered My Mind
2. Four
3. In Your Own Sweet Way
4. The - (Take 1) Theme
5. Trane's Blues
6. Ahmad's Blues
7. Half Nelson
8. The - (Take 2) Theme

Miles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (trumpet); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Red Garland (piano); Paul Chambers (acoustic bass); Philly Joe Jones (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on May 11 & October 26, 1956. Originally released on Prestige (7166). Includes liner notes by Jack Maher.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

Back