• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

f21d793509a0f3c04e113110.L.jpg

Kamakiriad -- CD

Donald Fagen

1993 Reprise Records

Fagen's Cool Concept Album, July 24, 2002
By Alan Caylow (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)

Donald Fagen's 2nd solo album, 1993's "Kamakiriad," came darn close to being released as a Steely Dan album---Fagen's old Dan co-hort, Walter Becker, produced the album, plays guitar on it, and co-wrote the song "Snowbound," t'boot. But since Fagen practically wrote everything else for the album on his own, "Kamakiriad" was ultimately released as a Donald Fagen solo album (and the official return of Steely Dan would have to wait until 2000's "Two Against Nature"). But no matter---this "almost Steely Dan" album is simply terrific, filled with all of the high trademark qualities you'd expect in the music of a Dan man. It's a cool mixture of cocktail jazz/pop, featuring Fagen's hip vocals, cookin' guitars, fat drums, smooth keyboards, happenin' horns, and, for the cherry on top, great sound & production that's very crisp. Not only that, but "Kamakiriad" is a cool *concept* album, telling the story of an Everyman living sometime in the future, who takes off for a spin in his technological wonder car of the 21st century, the Kamakiri, and has several adventures along the way. Being a single album rather than a double, the storyline for "Kamakiriad" may be a lot thinner than, say, The Who's "Tommy" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall," but I don't think Fagen was trying to compete with these double-album rock epics, and the story he tells here is nice & simple, to the point, and a lot of fun, just like the songs themselves.So, hop in the car, hit the "Trans-Island Skyway," admire the "Countermoon," take your pick of "Tomorrow's Girls," chill out "On The Dunes," and head out to that "Teahouse On The Tracks." Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad" is a wonderful ride.

"Trans-Island Skyway" (Fagen) – 6:30
"Countermoon" (Fagen) – 5:05
"Springtime" (Fagen) – 5:06
"Snowbound" (Walter Becker, Fagen) – 7:08
"Tomorrow's Girls" (Fagen) – 6:17
"Florida Room" (Fagen, Libby Titus) – 6:02
"On the Dunes" (Fagen) – 8:07
"Teahouse on the Tracks" (Fagen) – 6:09

Today's work truck music...

godwillin.jpg

God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise -- CD

Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs

2010 RCA Records

Grammy nominated and critically acclaimed, Ray LaMontagne returns with his anticipated fourth studio album, God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise. Entirely self produced (for the first time) the album was recorded in two weeks at LaMontagne's home in the woods of western Massachusetts. The newly restored historic home served as a homemade recording studio for Ray and his fellow musicians. With Ray's vocals at the forefront of the songs and a loose, almost live sounding recording, the album stands as a testament to a band at the height of their powers. The newly coined 'Pariah Dogs', consists of Jay Bellarose (drums), Jennifer Condos (bass), Patrick Warren (keyboard), Eric Heywood (guitar) and Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar). Individually these musicians have contributed to the live work of such heralded musicians including Beck, Joe Henry, Tom Waits, Lucinda Wlliams, Ryan Adams and Joe Cocker to name a few of their career highlights. Together with Ray they shared a sense that the sessions for this record were rare and extraordinary.

1. "Repo Man" 6:08
2. "New York City's Killing Me" 4:13
3. "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise" 3:10
4. "Beg Steal or Borrow" 4:32
5. "Are We Really Through" 4:59
6. "This Love Is Over" 3:30
7. "Old Before Your Time" 4:04
8. "For the Summer" 3:52
9. "Like Rock & Roll and Radio" 6:05
10. "Devil's in the Jukebox" 3:59

419TFQ8FAKL_zps31168718.jpg

Suddenly It's Spring -- CD

Zoot Sims

1992 Pablo/OJC Records

This CD reissue of one of tenor-saxophonist Zoot Sims's final recordings adds a version of "Emaline" to the original program. Pianist Jimmy Rowles often co-stars on the date (with bassist George Mraz and drummer Akira Tana offering solid support). The lyrical repertoire emphasizes ballads and pretty melodies with the highpoints including such offbeat material as Woody Guthrie's "So Long," Sims's "Brahms...I Think," "In the Middle of a Kiss" and the more familiar "Never Let Me Go" and "Suddenly It's Spring." The melodic performances are quite warm, romantic and enjoyable, fine examples of subtle creativity. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Brahms...I Think
2. I Can't Get Started
3. MacGuffie's Blues
4. In the Middle of a Kiss
5. So Long (It's Been Good to Know Yuh)
6. Never Let Me Go
7. Suddenly It's Spring
8. Emaline - (bonus track)

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Rowles (piano); George Mraz (bass); Akira Tana (drums).Recorded May 1983.

8159O2BxeBeL_zpsedc2a46f.jpg

Mulligan/Baker -- CD

The Best of The Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker

1991 Pacific Jazz

For many people, the 1952-1957 incarnation of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet that featured trumpeter Chet Baker alongside Mulligan's baritone sax is the group that defines not only Mulligan's career, but almost the entirety of West Coast "cool" jazz (barring, perhaps, the equally seismic partnership of Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond). The 1991 anthology THE BEST OF THE GERRY MULLIGAN QUARTET WITH CHET BAKER is an admirably concise 15-track distillation of the five-year partnership between the two. Although Mulligan would go on to a varied (and rarely less than fascinating) career that lasted for decades, many fans of the mercurial Baker agree that the trumpeter never played better than he did with Mulligan on classic sides like "Soft Shoe." The set also includes versions of "Jeru" and "Darn That Dream," songs better associated with Mulligan's earlier work with Miles Davis on the BIRTH OF THE COOL sessions, and a live instrumental version of "My Funny Valentine," which would later go on to become Baker's signature vocal tune.

Track Listing

1. Bernie's Tune
2. Nights at the Turntable
3. Freeway
4. Soft Shoe
5. Walkin' Shoes
6. Makin' Whoopee
7. Carson City Stage
8. My Old Flame
9. Love Me or Leave Me
10. Swing House
11. Jeru
12. Darn That Dream
13. I'm Beginning to See the Light
14. My Funny Valentine
15. Festive Minor

Chet Baker: Trumpet
Chico Hamilton: Drums
Gerry Mulligan: Baritone Saxophone
Henry Grimes: Bass
Bobby Whitlock: Bass
Larry Bunker: Drums
Michael Cuscuna: Producer, Liner Notes
Dave Bailey: Drums
Carson Smith: Bass
Dick Bock: Producer

51Ih4f1sBJL.jpg

Quartet -- Remastered CD

Gerry Mulligan - Paul Desmond

1957/1993 Verve Records

This is the first recorded collaboration of baritone saxophone great Gerry Mulligan and the witty alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. Despite hardly any preparation for these recording sessions, the two men complement one another's playing beautifully, as both of them were highly melodic improvisers. Desmond brought three originals to the sessions: the driving "Blues in Time," the soft ballad "Wintersong" (which is based on the chord changes to "These Foolish Things"), and "Battle Hymn of the Republican" (which is actually a complex reworking of "Tea for Two"). Mulligan's contributions include his earlier hit "Line for Lyons," "Stand Still" (based on "My Heart Stood Still"), and the Latin-tinged "Fall Out" (taken from "Let's Fall in Love"). Mulligan was clearly annoyed when told that three unissued tracks ("Tea for Two," "Lover," and an alternate take of "Wintersong") had been added to the CD reissue, but was clearly amused at the accidental and unlisted first take of "Lover," which falls apart after a minute-and-a-half and is followed by some discussion. Bassist Joe Benjamin and drummer Dave Bailey provide excellent rhythmic support throughout this highly recommended CD. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Blues in Time
2. Body and Soul
3. Stand Still
4. Line for Lyons
5. Wintersong-Take 1 - (take 1)
6. Battle Hymn of the Republican
7. Fall Out
8. Tea for Two - (previously unreleased)
9. take 2) Wintersong-Take 2 - (previously unreleased
10. Lover - (previously unreleased)
11. [Untitled Track] - (hidden track)

Quartet.Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Joe Benjamin (acoustic bass); Dave Bailey (drums).Recorded at Capitol Records Studio, Los Angeles, California, on August 2, 1957 and Fine Sound Studio, New York, on August 27, 1957. Originally released on Verve MGV (8246). Includes liner notes by Harvey Pekar and Nat Hentoff

5016275101224__1_zpse7b40a8b.jpg

Too Hot For Words -- Remastered CD

Teddy Wilson

1995 Hep Records (Import UK)

The Hep series of Teddy Wilson recordings has been largely superseded by the more complete Classics program. This release has 16 titles from Wilson's first four recording sessions as a leader of all-star bands (skipping his solo piano records). Since Billie Holiday has vocals on 14 of the 16 songs (every one except "Sweet Lorraine" and "Sugar Plum"); this material has been reissued numerous times, but the performances do contain their fair share of classics. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. I Wished on the Moon
2. What a Little Moonlight Can Do
3. Miss Brown to You
4. A (And a Little Straw Hat) Sunbonnet Blue
5. It Never Dawned on Me
6. Spreadin' Rhythm Round the World
7. You Let Me Down
8. Sugar Plum
9. Rosetta
10. Liza
11. Sweet Lorraine
12. Yankee Doodle Never Went to Town
13. Eeny Meeny Meiny Mo
14. If You Were Mine
15. Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)
16. Rosetta
17. These 'N' That 'N' Those
18. Sugar Plum
19. You Let Me Down
20. Spreadin' Rhythm Around

Personnel: Teddy Wilson (piano); Billie Holiday (vocals); Dave Barbour, Lawrence Lucie, John Trueheart (guitar); Cecil Scott, Tom Mace, Benny Goodman (clarinet); Grachan Moncur II, John Kirby (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Hilton Jefferson, Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Chu Berry, Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Richard Clarke , Roy Eldridge (trumpet); Benny Morton (trombone); Cozy Cole (drums).Audio Remasterers: Bj”rn Almstedt; John R.T. Davies.Liner Note Author: Frank Driggs.Recording information: New York, NY (07/02/1935-12/03/1935).

51P-QuzM1yL.jpg

The MoWest Album -- Reissue CD

Thelma Huston

1971-73/2012 UMD/Soul Music Records

Fiery & passionate~Bravo Thelma Houston! December 18, 2012
By Bradly Briggs VINE VOICE
Format:Audio CD

Smoldering & passionate gorgeous cover photo tell the story about the blistering content contained throughout mesmerizing "Thelma Houston" masterpiece, following Jimmy Webb produced & composed glorious "Sunshower" masterpiece, these tremendous master-class vocal collections should have sold millions while winning numerous Grammy Awards, yet the Music Industry for some strange reason didn't give push and promotion to these phenomenal works, so except for us extremely lucky hardcore music lovers, these classic soul-deep hypnotic gems sadly went unnoticed by the masses, this sublime Motown Records debut Lp strangely went unreleased on Compact Disc close to forty years! "Thelma Houston" like luminous predecessor "Sunshower" is timeless in its appeal, showcasing one of the greatest and most glorious voices in music over the past fifty years, thankfully legendary lady still in magnificent form and anyone lucky to be around when the amazing lady is performing live, don't miss the opportunity to see a gifted artist in concert who is a totally mesmerizing musical experience beyond compare.
Original "Thelma Houston" Lp release features amazing variety with great songs like haunting & mesmerizing "I'm Letting Go", stunning passionate performance alone worth price of entire collection...unforgettable songs composed by a first-rate range of composers such as Patti Dahlstrom, Anthony Newley, Kris Kristofferson, Gloria Jones, Al Cooper, legendary team Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil while incredible bonus tracks feature composing masters Michael Masser/Pam Sawyer/Gloria Jones and Berry Gordy, yet with all this diversity songs flow like honey throughout this brilliant collection that has got to be best ever vocal collection on classic Motown Records...Bravo Thelma Houston, you're a peerless & magnificent original!!!

Track Listing
1. What If
2. There's No Such Thing as Love
3. Me and Bobby McGee
4. I'm Letting Go
5. Do Something About It
6. There Is a God
7. Black California
8. And I Never Did
9. Blackberries
10. And I Thought You Loved Me
11. No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever
12. I Ain't Going Nowhere
13. Nothing Left to Give
14. Stealing in the Name of the Lord
15. I Ain't That Easy to Lose
16. I Want to Go Back There Again
17. Pick of the Week [U.S. Single "B" Side]
18. Piano Man [U.S. Single]
19. I'm Just a Part of Yesterday [U.S. Single "B" Side]

Level42-WorldMachine-LPRECORD-41821_zpsad9f0187.jpg

World Machine -- Remastered CD

Level 42

1985 Polydor London (Import West Germany)

All Music Guide - William Cooper
Level 42 was one of Britain's most successful bands by the time World Machine was released in 1986, but U.S. success was elusive. But that changed with the engaging single "Something About You," which became a Top Ten hit in America and sent this album soaring into the Top 20. World Machine pushes their newfound radio-friendly sound into the forefront, and the result is one of the finest pop albums of the mid-'80s. "Something About You" exemplifies Level 42's sound at the peak of its success. Bassist Mark King's vocals, while limited in range, are soulful and yearning, while keyboardist Mike Lindup's complimentary falsetto backing vocals add just the right ingredient to the mix. Given the group's original guise as an all-instrumental jazz combo, the musicianship is brilliant, and "Something About You" proves how good a song can sound coming from the radio. Unlike most albums that contain one strong single surrounded by duds, World Machine has more than its share of fine tunes. The jazzy, upbeat title track is one of the band's finest moments, the should've-been-a-hit "Leaving Me Now" is an effective ballad, and the midtempo "Good Man in a Storm" is catchy and thought-provoking. While not perfect -- "Physical Presence" drags, and "It's Not the Same for Us" is a bit too cutesy for its own good -- World Machine is the most successful album in Level 42's career, both in terms of sales and quality.

1. "World Machine" Badarou/P. Gould/King/Lindup 5:14
2. "Physical Presence" P. Gould/King 5:27
3. "Something About You" Lindup/P. Gould/King/Badarou/R. Gould 4:24
4. "Leaving Me Now" Badarou/King/P. Gould 5:00
5. "I Sleep On My Heart" Badarou/R. Gould/P. Gould/King 4:04
6. "It's Not The Same For Us" Badarou/King/P. Gould/Lindup 4:36
7. "Dream Crazy" (originally included as a bonus track on the CD and cassette) R. Gould/King/Lindup 3:53
8. "Good Man In A Storm" P. Gould/King 4:36
9. "Coup d'état" P. Gould/King 3:47
10. "Lying Still" Badarou/R. Gould/King 5:39

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Hope you like it, Dennie; it's one of my Top Ten for the desert island. :music-listening:

Happy Sunday everyone.... :angelic-green:

1302421441_folder_zps6f2f2ab4.jpg

Barcelona -- Remastered CD

Freddy Mercury - Montserrat Caballe

1987/1992 Hollywood Records

With Barcelona, Queen singer Freddie Mercury realized his long-lived dream of performing with an opera singer; in this case, Montserrat Caballe. While it's certainly a treat for any fan of Mercury's to hear this album, it's a difficult record to recommend. Most fans of opera will probably find it far too simplistic and pop-based, while many rock fans are sure to find the record too classical. The first half of the album, however, is deserving of a spin for any open-minded listener. Consisting of semi-operatic melodies with grand production, songs like "Barcelona" and the Eastern-sounding "La Japonaise" are startling in their beauty; the two singers from opposite ends of the music spectrum working surprisingly well off each other. The most classically operatic pieces of the project, "Ensueno" and "The Fallen Priest," are alternately gorgeous and powerfully dramatic. Unfortunately, the second half of the album is less successful as it reverses the formula of the first half. While Mercury can do well in semi-operatic settings, Caballe sounds awkward on the more pop-oriented tracks "Guide Me Home" and "How Can I Go On." "The Golden Boy," largely a gospel track with a full choir, is well-written and performed by Mercury, but Caballe's voice is simply not suited for the genre and the operatic opening sounds jarring against the gospel midsection. Nonetheless, despite its weaknesses, the record contains some beautiful and passionate music that is unlike anything most fans of rock and pop are likely to have heard before. For that alone it should be commended. ~ Geoff Orens

Track Listing
1. Barcelona - (Spanish)
2. La - (Japanese) Japonaise
3. The Fallen Priest
4. Ensue€o - (Spanish)
5. The Golden Boy
6. Guide Me Home
7. How Can I Go On?
8. Overture Piccante

This is a collection of Spanish and American songs by Queen's lead singer Freddie Mercury and opera singer Montserrat Caballe.Personnel: Freddie Mercury, Montserrat Caballe (vocals); Homi Kanga, Laurie Lewis (violin); Deborah Ann Johnson (cello); Barry Castle (horn); Mike Moran (keyboards); John Deacon (bass); Frank Ricoffi (percussion); Madeline Bell, Debbie Bishop, Lance Ellington, Miriam Stockely, Peter Straker, Mark Williamson, Carol Woods (background vocals).Recorded at The Townhouse Studios, London, England and Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland.

Botch said:
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Hope you like it, Dennie; it's one of my Top Ten for the desert island. :music-listening:

I'm going to have to give it another spin. As soon as I put it in the player yesterday, unexpected company was at the door and it turned into background music. :angry-cussingblack:

I enjoyed what I heard, but that wasn't much.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the recommendation.

Dennie

61uNxG1c-VL.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges

Gerry Mulligan - Johnny Hodges

1961/2003 Verve Records

Gerry Mulligan's 1959 studio date with Johnny Hodges is one of the most satisfying sessions of his various meetings with different saxophonists for Verve, yet it was inexplicably the last to be made available on CD. With a hand-picked rhythm section consisting of pianist Claude Williamson, bassist Buddy Clark, and drummer Mel Lewis, and three originals contributed by each of the two leaders, everything gels nicely, though several tracks took more than three takes (in spite of liner note writer Nat Hentoff's assertions) to reach their final form. Mulligan contributed the gorgeous ballad "What's the Rush" (where he sat back to enjoy Hodges' solo and never plays his own horn), the easygoing swinger "Bunny," and the brisk cooker "18 Carrots (For Rabbit)," the latter which its composer would revisit with his Concert Jazz Band. The veteran alto saxophonist contributed the low-key ballad "Shady Side," the sassy blues "Back Beat" (later re-recorded by Hodges during a still unreleased 1960 studio meeting with Ben Webster), and "What It's All About," another potent blues. Throughout the date, the two saxophonists blend beautifully and complement one another's efforts, even though this was their only opportunity to record together in the studio. Sadly, no alternate takes or unissued numbers (at least two of which exist) have been added to this long anticipated reissue. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Bunny
2. What's the Rush
3. Black Beat
4. What It's All About
5. 18 Carrots (For Rabbit)
6. Shady Side

Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Claude Williamson (piano); Buddy Clark (bass); Mel Lewis (drums).Recorded at United Recorders, Hollywood, California on November 17, 1959

81DlQEMxUjL_zpsb0b6d8d8.jpg

Ballads -- CD

Dexter Gorden

1991 Blue Note Records

The reputation of tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon was destined to be overshadowed by John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins, not to mention the three titans of the previous era--Ben Webster, Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins. This wouldn't matter so much if Gordon wasn't a musician of the first rank himself. Indeed, Coltrane initially derived much of his hard, piercing sound from the older bop player. Part of the problem is that there isn't one key Dexter Gordon album that crystalizes his achievement, not like Rollin's SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS or Coltrane's GIANT STEPS or A LOVE SUPREME.BALLADS partially fills this gap and is an excellent introduction to Gordon's tenor artistry. Compiled from a number of mostly '60s Blue Note sessions, these familar standards, including Billie's "Don't Explain" and Sinatra's "I'm A Fool To Want You," are given long and bracing workouts in the modern tenor style. Underrated Gordon might have been, but he was never outdated. The grand finale is an electrifying 16-minute "Body And Soul," recorded live in 1978, which includes a nearly 4-minute unaccompanied cadenza.

Track Listing
1. Darn That Dream
2. Don't Explain
3. I'm a Fool to Want You
4. Ernie's Tune
5. You've Changed
6. Willow Weep For Me
7. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry
8. Body and Soul

Personnel: Dexter Gordon (tenor saxophone); Freddie Hubbard, Donald Byrd (trumpet); Sonny Clark, Barry Harris, Bud Powell, George Cables, Horace Parlan, Kenny Drew (piano); Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen, Paul Chambers, Rufus Reid, Butch Warren, Bob Cranshaw, George Tucker, Pierre Michelot (bass); Billy Higgins, Philly Joe Jones, Kenny Clarke, Art Taylor, Al Harewood, Eddie Gladden (drums).Producers: Alfred Lion, Francis Wolf, Todd Barkan.Compilation producers: Michael Cuscuna, Society Red Productions.Engineers include: Rudy Van Gelder.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey between May 6, 1961 and May 27, 1965; CBS Studios, Paris, France on May 23, 1963 and June 2, 1964; live at The Keystone Korner, San Francisco, California on September 16, 1978

41HdSGP9UaL.jpg

Giant Steps -- Remastered CD

Buddy Rich

1977/2000 Point Records (Import Germany)

Rich + Hampton = Dynamic Duo! September 5, 2000
By Joel Lindow
Format:Audio CD
As you know if you've looked around I've done a review for over 25 of the Buddy Rich C.D.'s on Amazon and give them all pretty good ratings because of the amazing quality of the music, so it should be no surprise that I would recomend this C.D. as well. This C.D. features a small Combo setting with a guest performer: Lionel Hampton on Vibes! This isn't annoying vibrophone Jazz....this is versatile, well played music that you can only expect from a C.D. with the name Buddy Rich on it. I really am at a loss for words, which is unusual, but I would highly recomend this C.D.

Track Listing
1. Moment's Notice
2. Giant Steps
3. Buddy's Cherokee
4. Take the "A" Train
5. I'll Never Be the Same
6. Buddy's Rock
7. My Funny Valentine
8. Latin Silk

.Recorded in New York, New York in 1977.This is part of Master Tone's Jazz Essentials: The Great Performers series.Personnel: Buddy Rich (drums); Paul Moen, Steve Marcus, Gary Pribeck (tenor saxophone); Barry Keiner (piano); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Candido Camero (congas).

41HyEtSDt1L.jpg

"...and his mother called him Bill" -- Remasterd 24bit CD

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra

1967/2001 RCA Victor Gold (Import France)

When Billy Strayhorn died of cancer in 1967, Duke Ellington was devastated. His closest friend and arranger had left his life full of music and memories. As a tribute, Ellington and his orchestra almost immediately began recording a tribute to Strayhorn, using the late arranger's own compositions and charts. The album features well-known and previously unrecorded Strayhorn tunes that showcased his range, versatility, and, above all, the quality that Ellington admired him most for: his sensitivity to all of the timbral, tonal, and color possibilities an orchestra could bring to a piece of music. The set opens with a vehicle for Johnny Hodges called "Snibor," written in 1949. A loose blues tune, its intervals showcase Hodges against a stinging I-IV-V backdrop and turnaround, with a sweeping set of colors in the brass section before Cootie Williams takes a break and hands it back to Hodges to take out. The melancholy "Blood Count" was written in 1967 for the band's Carnegie Hall concert. It proved to be his final composition and chart. Hodges again gets the call and blows deep, low, and full of sadness and even anger. The music is moody, poignant, and full of poise, expressing a wide range of feelings as memories from different periods in the composers' and bandleaders' collective careers. Given all the works Strayhorn composed, this one -- with its muted trumpet section set in fours against Hodges' blues wailing -- is both wistful and chilling. Also included here is a remake of 1951's "Rock Skippin' at the Blue Note," in a spicy, funky version with a shimmering cymbal ride from Sam Woodyard and a punched up, bleating Cootie Williams solo as well as one from Jimmy Hamilton on clarinet, smoothing out the harmonic edges of the brass section (which features a ringing break from John Sanders). In cut time, the tune shuffles in the groove with Ellington accenting on every eight as the brass and reeds mix it up joyously. There are two versions of "Lotus Blossom." Ellington claimed it was the piece Strayhorn most liked to hear him play. The LP version is a quiet, restrained, meditative rendition played solo by Ellington, with the most subtle and yet emotional nuances he ever presented on a recording as a pianist. Finally, closing the album is a bonus track, a trio version played in a whispering tone with only baritone saxophonist Harry Carney and bassist Aaron Bell accompanying Ellington. The piece was supposedly recorded as the band was packing up to leave. Its informality and soulful verve feel like they are an afterthought, an unwillingness to completely let go, a eulogy whose final words are questions, elegantly stated and met with only the echo of their last vibrations ringing in an empty room, full of wondering, longing, and helplessness, but above all the point of the questions themselves: "Is this enough?" or "Can there ever be enough to pay an adequate tribute to this man?" They are interesting questions, because only five years later we would all be saying the same thing about Ellington. For a man who issued well over 300 albums, this set is among his most profoundly felt and very finest recorded moments.

Track List:
American and French reissues

"Snibor" (Strayhorn) – 4:16
"Boo-Dah" (Strayhorn) – 3:28
"Blood Count" (Strayhorn) – 4:18
"U.M.M.G." (Strayhorn) – 3:14
"Charpoy" (Strayhorn) – 3:07
"After All" (Strayhorn) – 3:52
"The Intimacy of the Blues" (Strayhorn) – 2:58
"Rain Check" (Strayhorn) – 4:37
"Day Dream " (Ellington, Latouche, Strayhorn) – 4:25
"Rock Skippin' at the Blue Note" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 3:02
"All Day Long" (Strayhorn) – 2:58
"Lotus Blossom [Solo Version]" (Strayhorn) – 3:54
"Acht O'Clock Rock" (Ellington) – 2:23
"Rain Check [alternate take]" (Strayhorn) – 5:22
"Smada" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 3:21
"Smada [alternate take]" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 3:20
"Midriff" (Strayhorn) – 4:35
"My Little Brown Book" (Strayhorn) – 4:13
"Lotus Blossom [Trio Version]" (Strayhorn) – 4:56

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Russell Procope, Jimmy Hamilton (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Cat Anderson, Mercer Ellington, Herbie Jones, Cootie Williams (trumpet); Clark Terry (flugelhorn); John Sanders, Lawrence Brown, Buster Cooper, Chuck Connors (trombone); Aaron Bell, Jeff Castleman (bass); Steve Little, Sam Woodyard (drums).Recorded at RCA Studios, New York, New York and between August and November 1967. Includes liner notes by Duke Ellington, Stanley Dance, Patricia Willard, and Robert Palmer.All tracks have been digitally remastered.Twenty-four bit digitally remasted with restored original artwork. CD contains 4 bonus tracks.

71JJfg6oMmL_zpsfc96af73.jpg

Back To Back -- Remastered 20 Bit CD

Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Play The Blues

1959/1997 Verve Master Edition

The Duke is most often remembered leading his large orchestras, yet throughout his career he would take "breaks" to record many fine small-group sessions. This gem features long-time Ellington player Johnny Hodges, who, in the '50s, struck out on his own. His solo career produced fine music but little financial success, so he rejoined Duke's organization. On this session, the blues forms the common ground on which both men meet.All of these songs were composed between 1910 and 1930, and these cats slip in and walk about in them like a comfy pair of bedroom slippers. Ellington's piano is spare and understated; he gives the spotlight to Johnny. Hodges wails the late-night blues with a combination of gentility, passion and sly wit. Harry Edison's trumpet (he played on many Frank Sinatra sessions in the '50s and '60s) is a joy. Hodges was truly one of a kind--after all, how many saxophonists were admired by both tenor sax innovator John Coltrane and easy-listening bandleader Lawrence Welk? All in all, a richly rewarding collaborative project.

"Wabash Blues" (Fred Meinken, Dave Ringle) – 6:22
"Basin Street Blues" (Spencer Williams) – 8:05
"Beale Street Blues" (W. C. Handy) – 7:40
"Weary Blues" (Artie Matthews) – 6:50
"St. Louis Blues" (Handy) – 5:45
"Loveless Love" (Handy) – 6:05
"Royal Garden Blues" (Clarence Williams, Spencer Williams) – 5:20

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Harry"Sweets" Edison (trumpet); Les Spann (guitar); Al Hall, Sam Jones (bass);Jo Jones (drums).Original producer: Norman Granz.Reissue producer: Michael Lang.Recorded at Columbia Studios, New York, New York, February 20, 1959. Originally released on Verve (6055). Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather and Michael Ullman.Digitally remastered using 20-bit technology by Chris Herles (PolyGram Studios)

P1350642_zpseab30378.jpg

"In Copenhagen" -- 24K Gold OMR CD

Harry "Sweets" Edison & Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

1978/1982 Storyville/MFSL Ultradisc II

'Sweets' and 'Jaws' began as a casual pairing which developed into one of the most well-established partnerships in jazz. Their first album together was recorded in 1962, and by 1976, Harry 'Sweets' Edison and Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis were touring Europe. In Denmark they found John Darville and Kenny Drew; and with producer Ole Matthiessen, ended up recording together in Copenhagen.

Storyville Records originally released this session as two separate Sweets and Jaws LPs: Vol. 1, John Darville's Quartet With Kenny Drew, 1978, and Vol. 2, Opus Funk, 1982. The 1997 Storyville aluminum CD version contains only eight of the album's total of twelve songs. Mobile Fidelity has taken the original master tape and transferred a total of eleven songs for the ultimate and uninterrupted performance of these jazz masters.

Selections:
1. Lester Leaps In
2. September Song
3. Spotlite
4. Angel Eyes
5. Blues Walk
6. Opus Funk
7. You Are Too Beautiful
8. Robbin's Nest
9. Candy
10. There Is No Greater Love
11. C Jam Blues

Accompanying Sweets (trumpet) and Jaws (tenor saxophone) are Kenny Drew (piano), Hugo Rasmussen (bass), Svend Erik Norregarrd (drums), and John Darville (trombone). Recorded at Rosenberg Sound Technic, Copenhagen, Denmark on July 6, 1976. Includes liner notes by Alun Morgan

Babs said:
Listened to this recently, forgot to post it. Kind of bubble gum, sweet voice & very cute!

ali_isabella.jpg
AND an AIX recording, complete with a multichannel mix.

Back