• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

493379edd7a0f5374c696110.L.jpg

Hymns of the 49th parallel -- CD

k.d. lang

2004 Nonesuch Records

Amazon.com

Was it homesickness that compelled longtime Los Angeles resident k.d. lang to fashion her one-woman campaign for north-of-the-border nationalism, or just plain good sense? All Canadian content has long been a mainstay of the Canadian Broadcasting System, but few have selected their material with such a fine hand and a high aesthetic. The expatriate singer has taken great pains to create a sophisticated homage to her Canadian roots, elegantly reinterpreting 11 songs penned by some of her more illustrious countrymen (and women) such as Jane Siberry, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, and Leonard Cohen. The idiosyncratic chanteuse turns Cohen's "Bird on a Wire" into an aching monochromatic lament, exploring new tributaries of pain that didn't exist in the original, while recasting Neil Young's "Helpless" into a haunting anthem of memory and comfort, all the while sounding anything but helpless. A gorgeous love letter to her brethren, complete with an intelligent and understated orchestration. --Jaan Uhelszki

"After the Gold Rush" (Neil Young) – 4:00
"Simple" (Lang, David Piltch) – 3:02
"Helpless" (Neil Young) – 4:15
"A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell) – 5:12
"The Valley" (Jane Siberry) – 5:31
"Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen) – 5:01
"One Day I Walk" (Bruce Cockburn) – 3:24
"Fallen" (Ron Sexsmith) – 2:56
"Jericho" (Mitchell) – 3:45
"Bird on the Wire" (Leonard Cohen) – 4:28
"Love is Everything" (Jane Siberry) – 5:43

Today's work truck music....

0d63225b9da00ce0b05dd010.L.jpg

Deuces Wild -- CD

B.B. King

1997 MCA Records

This is B.B.'s celebrity duet album, and a straightahead blues album this is not. But longtime fans who are aware of King's genre-stretching capabilities will find much to savor here. Kicking off with B.B. playing some beautiful fills and solo work behind Van Morrison on "If You Love Me," the superstars start lining up to jam with the King, with Tracy Chapman ("The Thrill Is Gone"), Eric Clapton (a funkified "Rock Me Baby"), the Rolling Stones ("Paying the Cost to Be the Boss," with a fine harp solo from Mick Jagger), Willie Nelson (his "Nightlife," long a standard in B.B.'s set list), Bonnie Raitt ("Baby I Love You") and Marty Stuart ("Confessin' the Blues") all turning in fine efforts.

1. If You Love Me - (with Van Morrison)

2. Thrill Is Gone, The - (with Tracy Chapman)

3. Rock Me Baby - (with Eric Clapton)

4. Please Send Me Someone to Love - (with Mick Hucknall)

5. Baby I Love You - (with Bonnie Raitt)

6. Ain't Nobody Home - (with D'Angelo)

7. There Must Be a Better World Somewhere - (with Dr. John)

8. Confessin' the Blues - (with Marty Stuart)

9. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss - (with The Rolling Stones)

10. Dangerous Mood - (with Joe Cocker)

11. Keep It Coming - (with Heavy D)

12. Cryin' Won't Help You - (with David Gilmour/Paul Carrack)

13. Night Life - (with Willie Nelson)

Dennie said:
jomari said:
71LH4ZNT4DL_zps5b6c49a4.jpg

How was it? did you buy it already? i was also curious as to how it 'felt' like...

like natalie merchant ten thousand maniacs, or natalie merchant tigerlily, or natalie merchant after tigerlily....

Hey Jomari,

Always good to see you my friend! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

To answer the "Natalie" question..... Yes!

It came out yesterday and arrived by noon.

I've only listened to it once, but it felt a little like "Tigerlily" and a little like after Tigerlily.

If you are a fan of her solo work, I think you'll like it.

I hope that helps,

Dennie

I agree, this one is great! Thanks for posting Dennie, I would not have know this was released!

You are welcome Keith! :music-rockout:

368b793509a0d7a1a2237110.L.jpg

Live At The Apollo -- CD

B.B. King

1991 GRP Records

Amazon.com

It's not that there's anything wrong with this 1990 recording: King's expressive guitar work and vibrant vocals rarely disappoint in a live setting, and this release here he has a top-notch big band behind him. In addition to U2's "When Love Comes to Town," King rolls through nine staples, including "Sweet Sixteen," "Thrill is Gone," and "Paying the Cost to Be the Boss." On the other hand, King has produced a number of absolutely riveting live albums, including Live at the Regal, Blues Is King, and Live in Cook County Jail. They remain high points of blues history, relegating this solid release to the second tier. --Marc Greilsamer

"When Love Comes to Town"
"Sweet Sixteen"
"The Thrill Is Gone"
"Ain't Nobody's Bizness"
"Paying The Cost To Be The Boss"
"All Over Again"
"Nightlife"
"Since I Met You Baby"
"Guess Who"
"Peace To The World"

51Ih4f1sBJL.jpg

Quartet -- Remastered CD

Gerry Mulligan - Paul Desmond

1957/1993 Verve Records

This is the first recorded collaboration of baritone saxophone great Gerry Mulligan and the witty alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. Despite hardly any preparation for these recording sessions, the two men complement one another's playing beautifully, as both of them were highly melodic improvisers. Desmond brought three originals to the sessions: the driving "Blues in Time," the soft ballad "Wintersong" (which is based on the chord changes to "These Foolish Things"), and "Battle Hymn of the Republican" (which is actually a complex reworking of "Tea for Two"). Mulligan's contributions include his earlier hit "Line for Lyons," "Stand Still" (based on "My Heart Stood Still"), and the Latin-tinged "Fall Out" (taken from "Let's Fall in Love"). Mulligan was clearly annoyed when told that three unissued tracks ("Tea for Two," "Lover," and an alternate take of "Wintersong") had been added to the CD reissue, but was clearly amused at the accidental and unlisted first take of "Lover," which falls apart after a minute-and-a-half and is followed by some discussion. Bassist Joe Benjamin and drummer Dave Bailey provide excellent rhythmic support throughout this highly recommended CD. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Blues in Time
2. Body and Soul
3. Stand Still
4. Line for Lyons
5. Wintersong-Take 1 - (take 1)
6. Battle Hymn of the Republican
7. Fall Out
8. Tea for Two - (previously unreleased)
9. take 2) Wintersong-Take 2 - (previously unreleased
10. Lover - (previously unreleased)
11. [Untitled Track] - (hidden track)

Quartet.Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Joe Benjamin (acoustic bass); Dave Bailey (drums).Recorded at Capitol Records Studio, Los Angeles, California, on August 2, 1957 and Fine Sound Studio, New York, on August 27, 1957. Originally released on Verve MGV (8246). Includes liner notes by Harvey Pekar and Nat Hentoff

61bJiJwdHRL.jpg

The First Time Ever (I Saw Your Face) -- Remastered Expanded CD

Vikki Carr

1972/2014 Columbia/Real Gone Music

She was born Florencia Bisenta de Casillas Martinez Cardona in El Paso, Texas, but the world would know her better as Vikki Carr, the four-time Grammy-winner whom no less an authority than Dean Martin once called The best girl singer in the business and Ethel Merman singled out as being more impressed with her performance than by any young singer.

Sentimental, vivacious and stunningly dramatic, the voice of Vikki Carr is one of American pop music s most versatile, too. During her long, glittering career, she has tackled jazz, pop, blues and country with equal aplomb. In addition to her extraordinary American pop music career of the 1960s and early 70s, punctuated by such signature hits as It Must Be Him, The Lesson, With Pen in Hand and Eternity, Carr has gone on to become one of the most popular and successful Spanish-language singers in the world, a pioneer predating Linda Ronstadt and an acolyte of Eydie Gorme s and Connie Francis beloved international music tradition.

We at Real Gone Music are thrilled to add Vikki to our artist roster with The First Time Ever (I Saw Your Face) (Expanded Edition), a first time ever reissue of her classic 1972 album produced by Snuff Garrett and arranged by Al Capps. The release features no less than nine bonus tracks (seven singles and a pair of holiday favorites) highlighted by Vikki s long-unavailable hit version of The Big Hurt and captivating covers of numerous 70s smashes, with notes by David St. Mark drawn from an extensive interview with the artist herself as well as her colleagues. Mastered at Sony s own Battery Studios in NYC by Sean Brennan and featuring copious rare photos one of this year s big pop vocal finds!

Tracks:

1. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

2. (Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All

3. Theme from Summer of '42

4. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves

5. Without You

6. Song Sung Blue

7. Love Theme from The Godfather

8. Cabaret

9. Help Me Make It Through The Night

10. Brian's Song

11. The Way of Love

Bonus Tracks:

12. Call My Heart Your Home

13. The Big Hurt

14. Let The Band Play On

15. Reflections

16. Borrowed Time

17. Puttin' Myself In Your Hands

18. I Don't Want A Sometimes Man

19. What Child Is This

20. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

519s4AL9eGL.jpg

16 Most Requested Songs -- Remastered Mono CD

Benny Goodman

1993 Columbia Legacy

The best single CD collection from the true "King of Swing" February 8, 2000
By Tom
Format:Audio CD

There are a few single-CD Benny Goodman "best of" collections available. This one is probably the best for some very good reasons. It has 16 cuts, more than the other popular collections. There are tunes from Goodman's most famous performance, the 1938 Carnagie Hall concert. Selections from this show include Don't Be That Way, the show's opener, and Sing, Sing, Sing, which may be the most famous swing song of all time. This show was performed when the band was at its height, and included Gene Krupa (the most famous jazz drummer of the swing era), Harry James (trumpet), and Lionel Hampton (vibraphone), all stars who eventually started their own bands. Unlike the 11 cut "This is Jazz - Benny Goodman", it also has Let's Dance, another famous Goodman tune. The sound quality of this CD isn't even that bad, considering the age of the performances. Unfortunately, this collection omits King Porter Stomp (included on "This is Jazz"), but arguably makes up for it with Stompin' at the Savoy, a swing standard co-written by Goodman (and performed at the Carnagie Hall show). Even at full list price, this CD would be a bargain. "16 Most Requested Songs" is a great introduction to Goodman's music, as well as the world of swing, and it would also make an outstanding gift for someone who has only heard songs from the current "swing revivial".

Track Listing
1. Let's Dance
2. Don't Be That Way
3. Avalon
4. Flying Home
5. Memories of You - (from "Blackbirds of 1930")
6. Somebody Stole My Gal
7. Clarinet a la King
8. Jersey Bounce
9. Why Don't You Do Right?
10. After You've Gone
11. Stompin' at the Savoy
12. Sing, Sing Sing
13. Symphony
14. Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)
15. How Am I to Know? - (from "Dynamite")
16. Goodbye

Personnel includes: Benny Goodman (clarinet); Liza Morrow, Peggy Lee (vocals); Toots Mondello, Buff Estes, Hymie Schertzer, George Koenig (alto saxophone); Bus Bassey, Jerry Jerome, Babe Russin, Art Rollini (tenor saxophone); Leonard "Zoot" Sims, Bob Snyder, Vido Musso, Chuck Gentry (saxophone); Jimmy Maxwell, Harry James, Ziggy Elman, Johnny Martel, Cootie Williams, Al Davis, Chris Griffin (trumpet); Red Ballard, Vernon Brown, Ted Vesely, Al Thompson, Lou McGarity (trombone); Terry Gibbs, Red Norvo, Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Teddy Wilson, Jess Stacy, Fletcher Henderson (piano); David Barbour, Allan Reuss, Charlie Christian (guitar); Artie Bernstein, Sid Weiss (bass); Morey Feld, Nick Fatool, Gene Krupa (drums).Compilation producer: Didier C. Deutsch.Recorded between 1938 and 1952. Includes liner notes by Roy Hemming.Digitally remastered by Chris Herles (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).This is part of Columbia's 16 MOST REQUESTED SONGS series

Babs is in the theater alone, which is rare...wait...I have this companion...

Sophia_zpsf3a24e46.jpg

^ A picture Zing took a while back, but too sweet even now!

Sophia and Babs are listening to a Carole King tribute CD...

1335525668_51z7zum0trl._ss500_.jpg

This is an awesome listen!!!!! :banana-rock:

Babs said:

Sophia_zpsf3a24e46.jpg

I have that one and enjoy it very much. Carole is one of the greatest singer/songwriters.... Ever! :music-rockout:

Love the picture of Sophia too! :text-bravo:

Thanks for posting it,

Dennie

Today's work truck music.....

94e7793509a0e3dd5d063110.L.jpg

Full Moon Fever -- CD

Tom Petty

1989 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Ten years had passed since Petty's last solid outing (Damn the Torpedoes in 1979), and Full Moon Fever fully resuscitated the artist's career, which--some would say "arguably"--had been losing steam. With the album's four major hits and rave reviews from the critics (these things do not always go hand-in-hand), Petty must have breathed a sigh of relief. He left the Heartbreakers behind, hooked up with musician, writer, and producer Jeff Lynne, and rocked out with "Runnin' Down a Dream," got mellow and introspective on "Free Fallin'" and "A Face in the Crowd," and paid tribute (finally) to the Byrds with a cover of "Feel a Whole Lot Better." He perfected the sing-along guitar-pop song on "Yer So Bad" and had a wild time on "Zombie Zoo." Pure Petty perfection! --Lorry Fleming

All songs written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, except as indicated.

"Free Fallin'" – 4:14
"I Won't Back Down" – 2:56
"Love Is a Long Road" (Mike Campbell, Petty) – 4:06
"A Face in the Crowd" – 3:58
"Runnin' Down a Dream" (Campbell, Lynne, Petty) – 4:23
"I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" (Gene Clark) – 2:47
"Yer So Bad" – 3:05
"Depending on You" (Petty) – 2:47
"The Apartment Song" (Petty) – 2:31
"Alright for Now" (Petty) – 2:00
"A Mind with a Heart of Its Own" – 3:29
"Zombie Zoo" – 2:56

447a7ef8-4814-4a19-ada3-4a1ff80b6587_zps6f3bd6dc.jpg

Mmm Nice! -- Remastered K2-24bit CD

Bob Thompson, his Chorus and Orchestra

1960/2006 RCA/BMG Japan (Import)

The second and most common Bob Thompson album, Mmm Nice! provides the same Esquivel-like, quirky instrumentals with wordless choruses, a style established in his debut. "Playboy" can be thought of as his signature tune, at least in theme. "Playboy," "Joie de Vivre," and "Mmm, Nice!" are the three originals, and -- probably not coincidentally -- the best tracks in this "romping holiday." For fans of light instrumental pop of this era, any Bob Thompson (this Bob Thompson, not the jazz musician) is worth picking up, and Mmm Nice! is nearly on par with his best.

1. Mmm, Nice!
2. The Song Is You
3. Younger Than Springtime
4. People Will Say We're In Love
5. They Can't Take That Away From Me
6. While We're Young
7. The Best Thing For You
8. Ain't We Got Fun
9. Hello, Young Lovers
10. Do It Again
11. Joie De Vivre
12. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
13. Playboy

165ce03ae7a002a4298cf110.L.jpg

Grand Funk -- 24 Bit Remastered CD

Grand Funk

1969/2002 Capitol Records

One of the top 2 or 3 blues-based rock trio albums!, April 4, 2003
By John Dewey Stewart (Park City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grand Funk (Audio CD)

I put this album right alongside "Disreali Gears" and "Are You Experienced". A tight, unified sound from start to finish - never mind that there weren't any radio hits on it. At that time and place, radio hits were beside the point. The music was rapidly evolving, and the power-trio format was the cutting edge of that evolution. Not as frenetic and competitive as Cream, and with a MUCH better rhythm section than the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Grand Funk Railroad was at the top of their game on this one! Led Zeppelin would take the power-trio format, add a great lead singer, and dominate the sound of the next decade. If you're into power-trios, you should DEFINITELY have this album. If you want to hear the very SOUL of Grand Funk Railroad, buy this one FIRST! You can pick up the "hits" any time, but this one is a jewel from start to finish!

"Got This Thing on the Move" – 4:38
"Please Don't Worry" – 4:19 (Don Brewer/Farner)
"High Falootin' Woman" – 3:00
"Mr. Limousine Driver" – 4:26
"In Need" – 7:52
"Winter and My Soul" – 6:38
"Paranoid" – 7:50
"Inside Looking Out" – 9:31 (John Lomax, Alan Lomax, Eric Burdon, Bryan "Chas" Chandler)

Bonus Tracks - CD Release

"Nothing is the Same (Demo)"
"Mr. Limousine Driver (Remix)"

Dennie said:

165ce03ae7a002a4298cf110.L.jpg

Grand Funk -- 24 Bit Remastered CD

Grand Funk

1969/2002 Capitol Records

One of the top 2 or 3 blues-based rock trio albums!, April 4, 2003
By John Dewey Stewart (Park City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grand Funk (Audio CD)

I put this album right alongside "Disreali Gears" and "Are You Experienced". A tight, unified sound from start to finish - never mind that there weren't any radio hits on it. At that time and place, radio hits were beside the point. The music was rapidly evolving, and the power-trio format was the cutting edge of that evolution. Not as frenetic and competitive as Cream, and with a MUCH better rhythm section than the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Grand Funk Railroad was at the top of their game on this one! Led Zeppelin would take the power-trio format, add a great lead singer, and dominate the sound of the next decade. If you're into power-trios, you should DEFINITELY have this album. If you want to hear the very SOUL of Grand Funk Railroad, buy this one FIRST! You can pick up the "hits" any time, but this one is a jewel from start to finish!

"Got This Thing on the Move" – 4:38
"Please Don't Worry" – 4:19 (Don Brewer/Farner)
"High Falootin' Woman" – 3:00
"Mr. Limousine Driver" – 4:26
"In Need" – 7:52
"Winter and My Soul" – 6:38
"Paranoid" – 7:50
"Inside Looking Out" – 9:31 (John Lomax, Alan Lomax, Eric Burdon, Bryan "Chas" Chandler)

Bonus Tracks - CD Release

"Nothing is the Same (Demo)"
"Mr. Limousine Driver (Remix)"

Absolutely Love this one Dennie!!!! Great pick for Friday Morning to get your blood flowing............

Yea Baby!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I am finally listening to this! :music-listening:

We are in our theater with Anthony, DJ's sound engineer. Freddie is just incredible, beyond words! :bow-blue:

418xl3TIIHL._SY300_.jpg

Babs said:

Sophia_zpsf3a24e46.jpg

Animals dig music too.

My cats hang around a lot more when I'm playing music all day... which is generally most days.

(and yes, they love the blues too) ~
0024.gif

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

9ac9816f-4583-4439-ad19-b1c50f0c6783_zps24d52d0a.jpg

Always -- Remastered 24bit CD

The New York Trio

2008 Venus Records (Import Japan)

The New York Trio, led by pianist Bill Charlap with bassist Jay Leonhart and drummer Bill Stewart, exists exclusively as a band to record for the Japanese jazz market, as Charlap has a regular trio with Peter Washington and Kenny Washington, while both Leonhart and Stewart are busy session musicians who occasionally also lead their own record dates. These 2007 sessions focus exclusively on the extensive songbook of the prolific Irving Berlin. Most of the ten tunes heard on this CD have long since become standards and are frequently recorded by jazz artists. One that isn't typically heard as an instrumental is "I Got the Sun in the Morning" (from the musical Annie Get Your Gun), heard in a loping yet infectious interpretation. "How Deep Is the Ocean" is one of Berlin's most recorded songs, yet this version sizzles with energy, unlike the typical ballad treatments. Other highlights include the breezy, joyful setting of "Cheek to Cheek," with Stewart's whispering brushes propelling Charlap's buoyant piano, along with the bittersweet "What'll I Do," featuring Leonhart's intimate solo. Even though this isn't a working band, things seem to gel quickly for The New York Trio when the group assembles to record. Review by Ken Dryden

Track Listings:

1. Always ( 5 : 15 )
2. Cheek To Cheek ( 5 : 41 )
3. They Say It's Wonderful ( 3 : 57 )
4. I Got The Sun In The Morning ( 5 : 19 )
5. How Deep Is The Ocean ( 3 : 57 )
6. Change Partners ( 4 : 43 )
7. What'll I Do ( 5 : 24 )
8. Isn't This A Lovely Day? ( 5 : 39 )
9. The Song Is Ended ( 6 : 51 )
10. Russian Lullaby ( 2 : 07 )

~All Songs by Irving Berlin ~

Performed by New York Trio

Bill Charlap - piano
Jay Leonhart - bass
Bill Stewart - drums

DSCN6263_zpsf88afc81.jpg

Stars -- Remastered K2HD CD

Janis Ian

1974/2010 Rude Girl-Columbia/Victor Japan (Import)

After a three-year (1971-1974) hiatus, singer/songwriter Janis Ian (guitar/vocals) reinvented her craft on the groundbreaking Stars (1974) long-player. Her penchant for hauntingly beautiful melodies and incisive lyrics remains at the center of Ian's craft as she weaves an array of uniquely expressive observations with timeless poignancy. She has publicly acknowledged that the introspective title track that opens the album was inspired by Don McLean's "Vincent." Ian's reflections are almost naked in their intimacy as she looks within the psyche of celebrity and draws comparisons between the respective astral and physical bodies that "Stars" inhabit, albeit briefly in either case. The song's sparse acoustic guitar self-accompaniment is somewhat an anomaly as the remainder of the album incorporates various backing combos. The cosy and laid-back "Page Nine" demonstrates a jazzier side to Ian's arrangements and features some inviting contributions from percussion legend and studio heavyweight George Devens (vibraphone), who had been performing in Ian's studio coterie since her second release, For All the Seasons of Your Mind (1967). "The Man You Are in Me" is instrumentally highlighted by Richard Davis (bass), who impels the rhythm and provides Ian with a sonic backdrop beguiling the listener into its practically hypnotic melody. There is also a fair share of folk-infused material, ranging from the easygoing and heartfelt peon "Thankyous" to the decidedly more political and strident "Dance with Me" -- which deals fairly directly with the Vietnam experience. Perhaps the best-known cut on Stars also obliquely references the war and is considered the disc's crown jewel. "Jessie" is a riveting love song that is as beautiful as it is soul-wrenchingly poignant. The delicate understated score only adds to the composition's empathy. "Applause" fittingly concludes the effort in a Broadway-esque fashion with a grandiose production reminiscent of something out of Cabaret or A Chorus Line. The understated and comparatively reticent middle section is dramatically bookended with an otherwise embellished and knowingly campy arrangement. Stars set the stage for Ian to further develop her mature and meditative themes utilizing a wide variety of musical styles -- a hallmark that separated her from her weepy and otherwise introspective peers. ~ Lindsay Planer

1. Stars
2. Man You Are In Me
3. Sweet Sympathy
4. Page Nine
5. Thank Yous
6. Dance With Me
7. Without You
8. Jesse
9. Youve Got Me On A String
10. Applause
11. Jesse (Live)

DSCN6266_zps57baae06.jpg

4195XA2WSAL_zpse7d50fbb.jpg

Cinema: A Romantic Vision -- CD

Dori Caymmi

1999 Zebra Records

Dori Caymmi is a veteran guitarist, singer, composer and arranger who has successfully married the popular musical forms of his native Brazil with American jazz. On Cinema: A Romantic Vision, Caymmi offers gentle interpretations of familiar tunes associated with the movies.

With 10 recognizable melodies done up in Caymmi's soulful Brazilian style, Cinema is a soothing listen. The artist's distinctive chordal approach on acoustic guitar is prominently featured, and his arrangements are lush and impressionistic. Select songs also feature strings, horns, backing vocals, and Caymmi's wordless singing. Musicians include Don Grusin and Billy Childs on keyboards, Tom Scott and Gary Meek on saxophones, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Michael Schapiro on drums, and Paulhino Da Costa on percussion.

A popular performer and film composer in his native Brazil, Caymmi carries on in the venerable tradition of his father and another major influence, Antonio Carlos Jobim. Covers of songs such as "Pink Panther," "My Favorite Things," and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" are easy-going but elegant.

Flavored with lilting samba and bossa beats, subtle dashes of pop-jazz, and intricate instrumentation, Cinema rouses that sublime wistfulness the Brazilians call saudade.

Record Label: Zebra Records

1. The Pink Panther: Pink Panther
2. The Sound Of Music: My Favorite Things
3. James Bond: James Bond (Main Theme)
4. Cinema Paradiso: Cinema Paradiso
5. West Side Story: Something's Coming
6. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly
7. Black Orpheus: Manha De Carnaval
8. Tootsie: It Might Be You
9. The Sandpiper: The Shadow Of Your Smile
10. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
11. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly (w/Vocal)

Personnel includes: Dori Caymmi (vocals, acoustic guitar); Carmen Bradford, Arnold McCuller (vocals); Gary Meek (soprano & alto saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet); Scott Mayo (soprano saxophone, background vocals); Billy Childs (piano); Don Grusin (keyboards); Tim Weston (electric guitar); Abraham Laboriel (bass); Michael Shapiro (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (percussion); Tom Scott.Recorded at Entourage Studio, North Hollywood, California; Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, California."Pink Panther" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement

Back