• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

b663319f8da077f3cf3b7110.L.jpg

Land of Make Believe -- LIVE -- CD

Chuck Mangione with the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra
And Special Guest Vocalist Esther Satterfield

1973 Mercury Records

Though much less expansive than Mangione's other Mercury concerts (only 37 minutes on a single CD or LP), Land of Make Believe is the most successful of the lot, a winning combination of attractive tunes, big-thinking orchestrations, just enough jazz content, and a genuinely felt sense of idealism. Here there is no dead weight; all of the material is very engaging and the combined forces of Mangione's quartet and the Hamilton (Ontario) Philharmonic are on fire. The performance of Mangione's "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" still exerts a ferocious jolt of life-affirming energy, "El Gato Triste" is an attractive Latin number, and the buoyant "Gloria" from The Mass of St. Bernard with the Horsehead Chamber Singers makes one want to hear more. The childlike title tune has both a touching sense of na‹vet‚ and a lot of drive in key spots -- credit expert drummer Joe LaBarbera with the latter -- and Esther Satterfield's clear-eyed Nancy Wilson-like vocals made her famous for a time. This would be Mangione's most irresistible attempt at embracing the whole world of music -- and for awhile, it was possible to believe that he would become a major unifying figure in American music. Alas, thus far this would be the last full flowering of that promise. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor
2. Lullaby for Nancy Carol
3. El Gato Triste
4. The - (from "The Mass Of St. Bernard") Gloria from the Mass of St. Bernard
5. As Long as We're Together
6. Land of Make Believe

Personnel includes: Chuck Mangione (flugelhorn); Esther Satterfield (vocals); Gerry Niewood (soprano saxophone, flute, alto flute); Ray Ricker, Joe Romano (tenor saxophone, flute); Ned Corman (baritone saxophone, flute); Jon Faddis, Jeff Tkazyik (trumpet); Janice Robinson, Bill Reichenbach Jr., Art Linsner III (trombone); Cathie Lehr (cello); Gap Mangione (electric piano); Don Potter (acoustic guitar); Al Johnson (electric bass); Joe LaBarbera (drums); John Beck (timpani, percussion); Steve Gadd (timpani); Horseheads Chamber Singers; The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra.Recorded live at Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada.Personnel: Chuck Mangione (flugelhorn); Esther Satterfield (vocals); Jan Walp (soprano); Ronny Berger, Scott Bump, Ron Berger, Jeff Bowlby, Steve Russell (tenor); Jeff Wilber, Russ Cembrinski, Jim Wilber, Jim Smith, Michael Cleveland (bass voice); Don Potter (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric piano); Gordon Johnson (acoustic guitar, flute, piccolo); Margaret Neufeld, Michel Zaitzeff, Beth Gorevic, David Hung, Christine Haarvig, Jacqueline Tarry, Rudolph Kalup, Kathryn Wunder, Natalie Mysko, Yiu Man Chung, Milan Vitek, Marta Hidy (violin); Jaroslav Karlovsky, Ann Armin, Barbara Hustis (viola); Edgar Hayes, Zdenek Konicek, Cathie Lehr (cello); Gerry Niewood (flute, alto flute, soprano saxophone); Jeff Tkazyik, Jon Faddis (flute, piccolo, trumpet); Paul Elliott (flute, piccolo); Ned Corman (flute, saxophone, timpani); Ray Ricker, Joe Romano (flute, tenor saxophone, trombone); Ron Davis (flute, tenor saxophone, congas, bongos, timbales, percussion); Sandy Watts (oboe, English horn); John Courtney, Tom Elliot (bassoon); Janice Robinson, William Frank "Bill" Reichenbach Jr. (trumpet, trombone); Arthur Linsner, Fred Mills , Ronald Romm (trumpet); Gregory Hustis, Graeme Page, Brad Warnaar, Robert Hansen (French horn); Art Linser III, Eugene Watts (trombone); Charles Daellenbach (tuba); Gap Mangione (electric piano); Al Johnson , Albert Johnson (electric bass); Joe La Barbera (drums); John Beck (congas, bongos, timbales, timpani, percussion); David Mancini, Steve Gadd (timpani, percussion).Audio Mixers: Richie Blakin; Phil Ramone; Chuck Mangione.Audio Remixer: Dennis Drake.Recording information: Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.Director: Joseph C. Crupi.Editors: Richie Blakin; Phil Ramone; Chuck Mangione.Unknown Contributor Roles: Don Potter; Horsehead Chamber Singers; Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra.Arranger: Chuck Mangione.

^ Luv Chuck! :handgestures-thumbup: Nice, Dennie.

benotnobody.jpg

I knew this young lady could sing, but, BAM! Awesome!

Zing told me I have Mr. Flint to thank. So, thank you! :handgestures-thumbup:

Happy Sunday everyone..... :banana-dance:

51Nr9j1EZPL.jpg

The Imagine Project -- Special Edition CD

Herbie Hancock

2010 Hancock Records

Herbie Hancock's star-studded The Imagine Project was several years in the making, recorded in seven countries with musicians from all over the globe. Hancock's band with producer/bassist Larry Klein, drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, percussionist Alex Acu€a, and guitarist Lionel Loueke is a common denominator. Most selections are interpretations of well-known pop, folk, and soul songs. The best things here are indeed fine. There's a gorgeous reading of Baden Powell's "Tempo de Amore" thanks to Lucas Martins' bassline and C‚U's singing. "Space Captain" by the Derek Trucks-Susan Tedeschi Band --with Hancock and Colaiuta -- brings out a much-needed soulful grit to Tedeschi's vocals, gospelized four-party harmony, and tough slide playing by Trucks. Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are a Changin'," with Lisa Hannigan's raw, emotive vocals, is underscored by interplay between the Chieftains and Toumani Diabat‚'s kora and Hancock's piano. The tune actually moves past its American folk revival beginnings to reflect a worldwide sentiment. "Tamatant Tilay"/"Exodus" pairs the nomad Malian guitar band Tinariwen's song with Bob Marley's classic. Hancock's trio, K'NAAN, Tinariwen, and three members of Los Lobos are all featured on vocals. Tinariwen dominates with Hancock's funky clavinet pushing against their snaky wall of guitars and ululating singing; it's the hippest track here. Klein's "The Song Goes On" features Anoushka Shankar, Wayne Shorter, Chaka Khan, and K.S. Chithra with some lyrics translated into Hindi for the Indian vocalists. A full-on Indian session band interacts with Shorter's knotty soprano sax, and the only truly engaged Hancock piano playing on the set. ~ Thom Jurek

Track listing:

1. Imagine (feat. P!nk, Seal, India.Arie, Jeff Beck, Konono #1 & Omou Sangare)

2. Don't Give Up (feat. P!nk & John Legend)

3. Tempo De Amor (feat. Céu)

4. Space Captain (feat. Susan Tedeschi And Derek Trucks)

5. The Times They Are a Changin' (feat. The Chieftains, Toumani Diabete, Lisa Hannigan)

6. La Tierra (feat. Juanes)

7. Tamatant Tillay/Exodus (feat. Tinariwen, K'Naan, Los Lobos)

8. Tomorrow Never Knows (feat. Dave Matthews)

9. A Change Is Gonna Come (feat. James Morrison)

10. The Song Goes On (feat. K.S. Chithra, Chaka Khan, Anoushka Shankar And Wayne Shorter)

Bonus tracks

11. Maiden Voyage (live/previously unreleased)

12. Rockit (live/previously unreleased)

MI0000726792_zps2a7080c6.jpg

You Taught My Heart to Sing -- CD

Houston Person with Bill Charlap

2006 Highnote Records

Tenor saxophonist Houston Person teams up with pianist Bill Charlap on this ten-track collection of standards, You Taught My Heart to Sing. Both musicians have released individual albums paying homage to the great songwriters of the '30s and '40s -- George Gershwin, Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin -- but this is the first time they teamed up in the studio together. Along with such tried and true chestnuts as "S'Wonderful," "Sweet Lorraine," and "Namely You," the duo brings a few originals into the musical fold as well as contemporary romantic standards such as "Where Is the Love." Recorded in the cozy confines of Rudy Van Gelder's studio in Englewood, NJ, the mood is relaxed yet not moribund, nor does the duo succumb to adding weepy strings or sappy horn arrangements. Person and Charlap don't break any new ground with this recording; rather they continue to showcase their combined enduring passion for ballads. ~ Al Campbell

Track Listing
1. You Taught My Heart to Sing
2. Namely You
3. Where Are You
4. Sweet Lorraine
5. If I Ruled the World
6. 'S Wonderful
7. Where Is the Love
8. I Was Telling Her About You
9. Don't Forget the Blues
10. I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone

Personnel: Houston Person (tenor saxophone); Houston Person; Bill Charlap (piano).Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.Liner Note Author: Ray Osnato.Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (08/04/2004).

61mfYszJhIL.jpg

The Wall -- Experience Edition - Remastered 3 CD Set

Pink Floyd

1979/2011 Pink Floyd/EMI-Capitol Records

Pink Floyd The Wall: Experience Version on 3CD

Experience Editions are expanded versions of classic albums in a Digipak bonus disc format. Included are the original remastered album, a disc of additional material and an expanded CD booklet.

This new Experience version of The Wall presents the original studio album (2CDs), digitally remastered by James Guthrie with a bonus CD featuring a selection of original album demo recordings from different stages of the album. Also featuring a newly designed Digipak and a new 32 page booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson.

One of the most acclaimed concept albums of all time, The Wall from 1979 is renowned as Roger Waters’ Rock Opera dealing with abandonment and personal isolation. Adapted for cinema by Alan Parker featuring Bob Geldof in the lead role, and featuring the unique artwork of Gerald Scarfe, the album also yielded the hit single "Another Brick In The Wall Pt2."

Pink Floyd The Wall: Experience Version Track Listing:

CD1: The Wall (Digitally Remastered by James Guthrie)
1. In The Flesh?
2. The Thin Ice
3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1
4. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
6. Mother
7. Goodbye Blue Sky
8. Empty Spaces
9. Young Lust
10. One of My Turns
11. Don’t Leave Me Now
12. Another Brick In The Wall Part 3
13. Goodbye Cruel World

CD2: The Wall (Digitally Remastered by James Guthrie)
1. Hey You
2. Is There Anybody Out There
3. Nobody Home
4. Vera
5. Bring The Boys Back Home
6. Comfortable Numb
7. The Show Must Go On
8. In The Flesh
9. Run Like Hell
10. Waiting For The Worms
11. Stop
12. The Trial
13. Outside The Wall

CD3: The Wall Selected Album Demos (previously unreleased)
PROGRAMME 1 (BAND DEMOS):

PRELUDE (VERA LYNN) - ROGER WATERS ORIGINAL DEMO
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL (PART 1)
THE THIN ICE
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
TEACHER, TEACHER
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PART 2
EMPTY SPACES
YOUNG LUST
MOTHER
DON T LEAVE ME NOW
SEXUAL REVOLUTION
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PART 3
GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD
PROGRAMME 2 (BAND DEMOS)
IN THE FLESH
THE THIN ICE
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PART 1
THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PART 2
MOTHER
PROGRAMME 3 (BAND DEMOS)
ONE OF MY TURNS
DON T LEAVE ME NOW
EMPTY SPACES
BACKS TO THE WALL
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PART 3
GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD
THE DOCTOR (COMFORTABLY NUMB)

Happy Monday everyone..... :scared-eek:

25d5024128a06f97a470b010.L.jpg

Days Like This -- CD

Van Morrison

1995 Polydor Records

Amazon.com

In an era when most old rock stars are left to recycle their greatest hits for megatours and MTV Unplugged, it's refreshing to know that Van Morrison still pours on all the originality and wit he had when he made Moondance. On Days Like This, Morrison continues his lifelong exploration of the human psyche, offering up highly entertaining and danceable (yes, danceable!) tunes about everything from love to manic depression. As always, Morrison's vocals rumble along through intelligent lyrics, plowing up a range of emotions almost too numerous to catalog. Needless to say, the sweet, soulful harmonies of Morrison's adroit backup singers and Pee Wee Ellis's fabulous horn arrangements serve as fabulous counterpoints to Van the Man's energetic and pointed performances. When all is said and done Morrison sums it up best in "Songwriter," a self-effacing ditty about the job he has done, and still does, so very well. --L.A. Smith

All songs by Morrison unless noted otherwise;

1. "Perfect Fit" – 4:33
2. "Russian Roulette" – 3:56
3. "Raincheck" – 5:53
4. "You Don't Know Me" - (Arnold, Walker) – 4:32
5. "No Religion" – 5:14
6. "Underlying Depression" – 4:35
7. "Songwriter" – 2:50
8. "Days Like This" – 3:13
9. "I'll Never Be Free" - (Benjamin, Weiss) – 3:37
10. "Melancholia" – 3:56
11. "Ancient Highway" – 8:53
12. "In the Afternoon" – 6:21

51Z9KUl94pL.jpg

The Crossing -- DSD CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

2001 Telarc Records

Although just shy of 80 at the time of the two studio sessions which make up this CD, Dave Brubeck still has the drive that he had some 40 years earlier, both as a performer and composer. Longtime drummer Randy Jones, veteran alto saxophonist Bobby Militello, and the talented young bassist Alec Dankworth all shine in support of the tireless pianist. All nine compositions appear on disc for the first time, starting with "The Crossing," Brubeck's lively musical vision of a passenger ship getting underway for a long trip across the ocean, though a ship's engines would burn out if they kept up with the intensity of this piece. During "Day After Day," Bobby Militello brings to mind the late Paul Desmond with his soft lyrical solo, though he has a sound all his own. "Mariel" continues Brubeck's tradition of writing songs for his family members; this lovely ballad, dedicated to his fourth grandchild, starts with a lush piano solo before suddenly intensifying into an up-tempo cooker. "All My Love," a warm ballad dedicated to Brubeck's wife, Iola, speaks softly of his love for her without requiring words. "Por Que No? (So Why Not?)" is a catchy Latin-flavored piece that ought to get an audience up and dancing when played during a Brubeck concert. "Chasin' Yourself" is highlighted by Militello's turbulent solo, while "Bessie" is a gorgeous melody dedicated to Brubeck's mother, who inspired his musical career. "Randy Jones" showcases the drummer in a well-deserved tribute to Brubeck's sideman of over 20 years. The finale, "Hold Fast to Dreams," was originally conceived as a part of a suite which set Langston Hughes' poems to music. Overall, this is yet another memorable release by Dave Brubeck. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. The Crossing
2. Day After Day
3. Mariel
4. All My Love
5. Por que No? (Why Not?)
6. Chasin' Yourself
7. Bessie
8. Randy Jones
9. Hold Fast to Dreams

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck (piano); Bobby Militello (alto saxophone, flute); Alec Dankworth (bass); Randy Jones (drums).Engineers include: Jack Renner, Michael Bishop, Robert Friedrich.Recorded at The Music Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio and The Cleveland Museum Of ArtCleveland, Ohio between September 9 and November 19, 2000. Includes liner notes by Bob Blumenthal and Russell Gloyd

51EP6PU1WxL.jpg

...Plays Ellington -- CD

Marcus Roberts

1995 RCA/BMG Records

Buy this album if only for the tune: The Single Petal of a Rose December 13, 2005
By David Bond
Format:Audio CD

I really dig Marcus Roberts. My first album of his was "Alone with Three Giants." A great album! Just Marcus on piano playing Ellington, Monk and Jelly Roll Morton tunes. This album pulls several Ellington tunes from that album. However, one tune on this album that was not on his "Alone With Three Giants" album is "The Single Petal of a Rose." Gorgeous! You must buy this album just for this tune! It stirs the soul. It is right up there with the Strayhorn tunes; Lotus Blossom, Day Dream and Blood Count (which can all be found on another great album "And His Mother Called Him Bill," Ellington's tribute to Strayhorn).

Track Listing
1. Mood Indigo
2. Single Petal of a Rose
3. Solitude
4. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
5. Prelude to a Kiss
6. In a Mellow Tone
7. Shout 'Em Aunt Tillie
8. Black and Tan Fantasy
9. Creole Blues
10. Mood Indigo

Personnel includes: Marcus Roberts (piano); Charlie Rouse (tenor saxophone); Ronald Weshtray (trombone); Reginald Veal (bass); Elvin Jones (drums).Compilation producer: Brian Bacchus.All songs written or co-written by Duke Ellington

_57_zps440ec460.jpg

Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon -- CD

K T Tunstall

2013 Blue Note Records

Editorial Reviews
KT s fourth studio album overall, Invisible Empire/Crescent Moon, is her first to be released on Blue Note.

KT describes the album as full of songs from the heart, adding I followed my path of truth and ended up in a different place.

IECM is made up from two sessions with a season in between them, and KT saw the work as naturally separated into two distinct parts - an 'A' side and a 'B' side. The first batch sees songs like the exquisite Made Of Glass and Yellow Flower focusing on the themes of mortality, a subject close to her heart following the passing away of her father last year. The second batch evokes an ethereal mood, more reflective of deeply felt changes in outlook and shifts in her personal life. Together they add up to KT's most cohesive and affecting album to date.

Tracks:

1 INVISIBLE EMPIRE
2 MADE OF GLASS
3 HOW YOU KILL ME
4 CARRIED
5 OLD MAN SONG
6 YELLOW FLOWER
7 CRESCENT MOON
8 WAITING ON THE HEART
9 FEEL IT ALL
10 CHIMES
11 HONEYDEW
12 NO BETTER SHOULDER
13 BONUS TRACK: FEEL IT ALL - BAND JAM

Today's work truck music....

61Iwc-oA2rL.jpg

His Band and the Street Choir -- CD

Van Morrison

1970/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

His Band and the Street Choir appeared at a time--1970--when Van Morrison was building on the great critical successes of Astral Weeks and Moondance. His third Warner Bros. album contains a number of radio-friendly tracks clearly aimed at the singles market and few clues of the serious, brooding melancholy of Astral Weeks. Kicking off with the jaunty "Domino," the album is generally dominated by uptempo swingers such as "Call Me Up in Dreamland," "Give Me a Kiss," and "Blue Money." The cover photography and liner notes by then wife Janet Planet reveal a smiling Morrison and hint at a newfound personal contentment. This mood did not last long after Van left the artists' community of Woodstock. But even here, in "I'll Be Your Lover Too" and "Crazy Face," there are moments that are essential listening for fans of his sullen splendor and mysticism. --Rob Stewart

Side one

"Domino" – 3:06
"Crazy Face" – 2:56
"Give Me a Kiss (Just One Sweet Kiss)" – 2:30
"I've Been Working" – 3:25
"Call Me Up in Dreamland" – 3:52
"I'll Be Your Lover, Too" – 3:57

Side two

"Blue Money" – 3:40
"Virgo Clowns" – 4:10
"Gypsy Queen" – 3:16
"Sweet Jannie" – 2:11
"If I Ever Needed Someone" – 3:45
"Street Choir" – 4:43

51KPKD5KH7L_zps1d621b3f.jpg

Pressure Drop -- CD

Robert Palmer

1975 Island Records

Before he moved to Nassau and became a carefree, laid-back expat who craved sunshine, Robert Palmer lived in New York City, hired Little Feat for a backup band, and released the all over the place yet still solid Pressure Drop. Named after the massive reggae hit from Toots & the Maytals and the excellent cover version Palmer performs here, Pressure Drop is sometimes wrongly sold as the singer's first island-styled album. Past the title cut, Feat and the New Orleans funk of the Meters are much bigger influences, along with smooth, dated disco ballads smothered in strings. The latter numbers are what make the album too blue-eyed and polished for fans of Palmer's more gutsy moments, but the soft songs are well written and convincing, especially the opening "Give Me an Inch." Better still is the loose and feel-good funk that has long made this effort a fan favorite, with Palmer delivering full-bodied vocals over bright horns and popping basslines. Since compilations and Palmer's own live set lists increasingly ignored the album over time, Pressure Drop has grown into the great overlooked album in the man's discography, and it's much more rewarding than the unfamiliar track list displays. Review by David Jeffries

Track Listing
1. Give Me an Inch
2. Work to Make It Work
3. Back in My Arms
4. River Boat
5. Pressure Drop
6. Here with You Tonight
7. Trouble
8. Fine Time
9. Which of Us Is the Fool

Personnel: Robert Palmer (vocals, guitar, keyboards, drums, percussion, background vocals); Bill Payne (vocals, keyboards); Fran Tate (vocals); Lowell George, Paul Barr‚re (guitar); Joe Brown (banjo); David Snell (harp); Gene Page (strings); Mongezi Feza (flageolet, horns); Steve York (harmonica); Mel Collins (saxophone, horns); Martin Fry (tuba); Ray Allen, Muscle Shoals Harris, Muscle Shoals Horns (horns); Gordon DeWitte, Jean Roussel (Clavinet, keyboards); James Jamerson, Kenny Gradney (bass guitar); Ed Greene (drums, congas); Richie Hayward (drums, percussion, background vocals); Sam Clayton (congas, background vocals); Vicki Brown (background vocals).Audio Mixer: Phill Brown

Dennie said:
heeman said:
Dennie said:
810dJktucTL_zps32f4103c.jpg

Nathan East -- CD

Nathan East

2014 Yamaha Entertainment

For more than three decades Nathan East, the founding member of world-renowned jazz quartet Fourplay, has been called upon to perform on hit songs for many of the greatest artists in music including 2013 record of the year "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk. With a mix of instrumental and vocal compositions, and produced by Chris Gero and Nathan East, the anticipated self-titled album delivers 13 songs featuring the new single "Daft Funk," plus compositions by Nathan East, Bob James, Pat Metheny, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Chuck Loeb, Steve Winwood and Michael McDonald among other.

Track Listings

1. 101 Eastbound

2. Sir Duke

3. Letter From Home

4. Moondance

5. I Can Let Go Now

6. Daft Funk

7. SeveNate

8. Can't Find My Way Home

9. Moodswing

10. Overjoyed

11. Yesterday

12. Madiba

13. America The Beautiful

Dennie, I am very interested in this one. How is it? How is the mix? Thanks, Keith

Well, I'm not as thrilled as I thought I would be. The word that comes to mind for the whole album is Smooth. Which is not a bad thing, but I hoped it would be a little more R&B or Funky. I'm not a fan of Michael McDonald, so "Moondance" doesn't do much for me. Sir Duke is again, smooth with some drive, but not as funky as I hoped. "Can't find my way home" has a good groove and Clapton's guitar work is sweet, but Nathan's voice is a little higher than Winwood's and again, it is very smooth. I think the orchestra throws me a little. I'd prefer to hear Nathan in a trio or quartet setting, a la Foreplay, so I'm a little disappointed for now. I've only listened to it once, it may get better with more plays.

The recording quality is good. This is my first "Yamaha" disc (I think) and they've done a good job with mastering.

Great musicianship through out, if you like smooth music, this may be for you. If not, you may want to listen to some samples before plunking down your dough.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

Here is my take...............

I have known of Nathan since the mid 80's when he was playing bass for Clapton, so when I saw your post, I was excited. I recently purchased and watched Toto's 35th in Poland BD Concert and Nathan played bass on this.

The songs that I struggle with on this is:

Sir Duke, Moondance (love the original, however this arrangement and Michael doesn't do it for me), Yesterday (once again the arrangement), America The Beautiful.

The others being smooth work well. Nathan's playing is spot on and highly technical. I posed the Sara Bareilles tune over in music which is really good.

All in all I would give it an 8 out of 10.

One other key point, is that Nathan feels every single note he plays and is extremely enthusiastic, he is great in the Toto Concert and every other time I have seen him in various material.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

61JHbeQvbnL.jpg

Lioness: Hidden Treasures -- CD

Amy Winehouse

2011 Universal Music

''Lioness: Hidden Treasures'', the third album from Amy Winehouse, without question one of the most talented, original, and best loved artists to emerge in popular music for decades, will be released through Island Records. Following her tragic passing in July, some of the producers and musicians who worked closely with Amy Winehouse, among them Mark Ronson and Salaam Remi, spent time listening over the many recordings that Amy had made, before, during, and after the release of ''Frank'' and ''Back To Black''. It was said by all who worked with Amy that she never sang or played a song the same way twice. It quickly became apparent to Salaam and Mark that they had a collection of songs that deserved to be heard, a collection of songs that were a fitting testament to Amy the artist and, as importantly, Amy their friend. The 12 track collection features previously unreleased tracks, alternate versions of existing classics as well as a couple of brand new Amy compositions, and has been compiled by long-time musical partners Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson in close association with Amy's family, management and record label Island Records. ''Lioness : Hidden Treasures'' proves a fitting tribute to the artist, the talent and the woman and serves as a reminder of Amy's extraordinary powers as a songwriter, a singer and an interpreter of classics. The full tracklisting is as follows: ''Our Day Will Come (Reggae Version)'' - reggae re-working of classic 60's doo wop song produced by Salaam Remi. Recorded May 2002. ''Between The Cheats'' - new Amy composition recorded in London in May 2008 for potential inclusion on album three produced by Salaam Remi. ''Tears Dry'' - originally written by Amy as a ballad, this is the original version she recorded in November 2005 in Miami with Salaam. The later uptempo version appears on ''Back To Black''. ''Wake Up Alone'' - the first song recorded for the ''Back To Black'' sessions. This is the one-take demo recorded in March 2006 by Paul O'Duffy. ''Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow'' - Amy's beautiful reading of the Carole King written Shirelles classic. Produced by Mark Ronson and featuring the Dap Kings with string arrangements by Chris Elliott who did all the strings for Mark's tracks on ''Back To Black''. Recorded in September 2004. ''Valerie'' - one of Amy's jukebox favourites. This is the original slower tempo version of the Mark Ronson produced post ''Back To Black'' single. Recorded in December 2006. ''Like Smoke'' featuring NAS - Amy and Nas became really good friends after Amy name checked the New York rapper on ''Back To Black's'' ''Me & Mr Jones''. ''Like Smoke'' is finally Amy doing a song with one of her favourite artists. Produced by Salaam Remi. Recorded in May 2008. ''The Girl From Ipanema'' - the first song the 18 year old Amy sang when she first went to Miami to record with Salaam. Salaam remarked that ''the way she re-interpreted this bossa nova classic made me realise that I was dealing with a very special talent. Her approach to the song was so young and fresh, it really inspired the rest of our sessions.'' Recorded in May 2002. ''Halftime'' - Amy had talked to Ahmir 'Questlove' Thompson of the Roots about working together. ''Halftime'' is a song that Amy and Salaam had worked on since the Frank sessions. The result is beautiful. Recorded in August 2002. ''Best Friends'' - ''Frank'' era live set opener produced by Salaam Remi. Probably the first song that early Amy fans would have heard live. Recorded in February 2003. ''Body & Soul'' with Tony Bennett - cover of 30's jazz standard with hero Tony Bennett. Recorded at Abbey Road Studios London in March 2011 and produced by Phil Ramone. Amy's final studio recording. ''A Song For You'' - heartbreaking and emotional version of the Leon Russell classic made famous by Donny Hathaway. Hathaway was Amy's all-time favourite artist and the song was recorded in one take, just Amy and her guitar, at her home in London during the spring of 2009 as she battled her demons. Produced by Salaam Remi.

Track Listing
1. Our Day Will Come
2. Between the Cheats
3. Tears Dry [Original Version]
4. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? [2011]
5. Like Smoke
6. Valerie ['68 Version]
7. The Girl from Ipanema
8. Halftime
9. Wake Up Alone [Original Recording]
10. Right? Best Friends
11. Body & Soul [with Tony Bennett]
12. A Song for You

heeman said:
Dennie said:
heeman said:
810dJktucTL_zps32f4103c.jpg

Dennie, I am very interested in this one. How is it? How is the mix? Thanks, Keith

Well, I'm not as thrilled as I thought I would be. The word that comes to mind for the whole album is Smooth. Which is not a bad thing, but I hoped it would be a little more R&B or Funky. I'm not a fan of Michael McDonald, so "Moondance" doesn't do much for me. Sir Duke is again, smooth with some drive, but not as funky as I hoped. "Can't find my way home" has a good groove and Clapton's guitar work is sweet, but Nathan's voice is a little higher than Winwood's and again, it is very smooth. I think the orchestra throws me a little. I'd prefer to hear Nathan in a trio or quartet setting, a la Foreplay, so I'm a little disappointed for now. I've only listened to it once, it may get better with more plays.

The recording quality is good. This is my first "Yamaha" disc (I think) and they've done a good job with mastering.

Great musicianship through out, if you like smooth music, this may be for you. If not, you may want to listen to some samples before plunking down your dough.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

Here is my take...............

I have known of Nathan since the mid 80's when he was playing bass for Clapton, so when I saw your post, I was excited. I recently purchased and watched Toto's 35th in Poland BD Concert and Nathan played bass on this.

The songs that I struggle with on this is:

Sir Duke, Moondance (love the original, however this arrangement and Michael doesn't do it for me), Yesterday (once again the arrangement), America The Beautiful.

The others being smooth work well. Nathan's playing is spot on and highly technical. I posed the Sara Bareilles tune over in music which is really good.

All in all I would give it an 8 out of 10.

One other key point, is that Nathan feels every single note he plays and is extremely enthusiastic, he is great in the Toto Concert and every other time I have seen him in various material.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Thanks for the review Keith! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

61jfY6pzjSL.jpg

Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of ELO -- CD

Jeff Lynne/ELO

2012 Big Trilby Records

Mr. Blue Sky The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra is a powerful new testament to Jeff Lynne s enduring artistry and his singular desire to get things right once and for all. Here, Lynne has artfully revisited and re-recorded the greatest hits of Electric Light Orchestra, and actually improved on some of the most classic and beloved recordings of all time.
The result is, in effect, a kind of showdown between the Jeff Lynne of today and his extremely illustrious past, and thanks to improved technology and recording artistry, wouldn t you know it, Lynne somehow comes out on top again. So do all of us fans who get another fresh chance to hear these extraordinary songs sounding quite literally better than they
ever have before.

1. Mr. Blue Sky
2. Evil Woman
3. Strange Magic
4. Don't Bring Me Down
5. Turn to Stone
6. Showdown
7. Telephone Line
8. Livin' Thing
9. Do Ya
10. Can't Get It Out of My Head
BONUS TRACKS
11. 10538 Overture (40th Anniversary)
12. Point of No Return (Previously Unreleased)

4fed228348a029644ed60110.L.jpg

Live Bootleg -- Remastered 20bit CD

Aerosmith

1978/1993 Sony Music

LIVE! BOOTLEG has been digitally remastered using Sony's 20-Bit Digital Super Bit Mapping process. This release includes new deluxe packaging with original release liner notes, photos and artwork.

Unlike many live albums that of this time period that were overdubbed and doctored, BOOTLEG is Aerosmith at its rawest. "Back in the Saddle" and "Toys in the Attic" contain plenty of ragged guitar playing. Despite the sub-par sound quality, the tracks triumph nonetheless thanks to the primal vibe generated by the band's chemistry. Yes, hits like "Walk This Way" and "Dream On" are included, but the true gems are oft-overlooked nuggets like "Chip Away the Stone," "Mama Kin," and an uncredited "Draw the Line" that overflow with Aerosmith's trademark sass and attitude. James Brown's "Mother Popcorn" and the blues classic "I Ain't Got You" (originally done by the Yardbirds), not only show the band's range, but its love of black music.

1. Back in the Saddle
2. Sweet Emotion
3. Lord of the Thighs
4. Toys in the Attic
5. Last Child
6. Come Together
7. Walk This Way
8. Sick as a Dog
9. Dream On
10. Chip Away the Stone
11. Sight for Sore Eyes
12. Mama Kin
13. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
14. I Ain't Got You
15. Mother Popcorn
16. Train Kept A'Rollin'/Strangers in the Night
17. Draw the Line

Today's work truck music...

31TJMeceGXL._SS500_.jpg

The Long Run -- CD

Eagles

1979/1990 Elektra Records

This was an acquired taste for me.,
September 6, 2003
By Mark Lahren
This review is from: The Long Run (Audio CD)

I was kind of an Eagles fan already when this album was released in 1979, though their only other album I had at that point was "Hotel California". I was a bit surprised at the change of musical style when Long Run came out, and my first impression was that I didn't really care for it. But I was only 19 years old and freely admit now that I didn't know much about music at that time.

About six months after getting the album, my girlfriend and I began experiencing *serious* problems. At that point, this album really came to mean a lot to me, as a lot of the lyrics really hit home even though I was likely interpreting them wrong. I played that album literally 100 times or more during the coming months, and I now say that it was one of the few things I looked forward to at that time in my life. So my opinion is biased.

The quality of this album from beginning to end is absolutely first-rate, which is a given for any Eagles release. There is a change in style from their previous work, and I found that change to be best described as 'edgy' and slightly dark. I love every song on this album. All this said however, it ranks second place with me after "Hotel California" which was a difficult album to improve upon. It's not a quality issue though. Merely a style issue. I do like this album's style quite a lot, but nothing could top "Hotel California". And this style change, though subtle and certainly not a negative aspect, may take some getting used to if you haven't heard this album already.

Also please note that Elektra has just released a "Digitally Remastered For The First Time" edition of this CD. The ones I've seen have a sticker on top of the cellophane stating exactly that, so I would try and get that release if possible. I cannot imagine any lover of music being disappointed with this CD.

Side one

"The Long Run" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey) – 3:42
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Slide guitar by Joe Walsh and Don Felder
Guitar Solo by Joe Walsh
Organ by Don Felder
"I Can't Tell You Why" (Timothy B. Schmit, Henley, Frey) – 4:56
Lead vocal by Timothy B. Schmit
Guitar solos by Glenn Frey (played by Don Felder in live performance)
Fender Rhodes Piano by Glenn Frey
Organ by Joe Walsh
"In the City" (Joe Walsh, Barry De Vorzon) – 3:46
Lead vocal by Joe Walsh
Slide guitar by Joe Walsh
"The Disco Strangler" (Don Felder, Henley, Frey) – 2:46
Lead vocal by Don Henley
"King of Hollywood" (Henley, Frey) – 6:28
Lead vocals by Don Henley & Glenn Frey
First guitar solo by Glenn Frey
Second guitar solo by Don Felder
End guitar solo by Joe Walsh

Side two

"Heartache Tonight" (Henley, Frey, Bob Seger, J.D. Souther) – 4:27
Lead vocal by Glenn Frey
Slide guitar by Joe Walsh
"Those Shoes" (Felder, Henley, Frey) – 4:57
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Talk box guitars by Joe Walsh & Don Felder
Solo by Joe Walsh
"Teenage Jail" (Henley, Frey, Souther) – 3:44
Lead vocals by Glenn Frey & Don Henley
Synthesizer solo by Glenn Frey
Guitar solo by Don Felder
"The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" (Henley, Frey) – 2:21
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Background vocals by "The Monstertones" featuring Jimmy Buffett
"The Sad Café" (Henley, Frey, Walsh, Souther) – 5:35
Lead vocal by Don Henley
Guitar solo by Don Felder
Alto saxophone by David Sanborn

51lkV2titcL._AA160_.jpg

(just released in April)

Zing posted this one awhile back with a :handgestures-thumbup:

some mo good blues from Keb . . . .
~~ :handgestures-thumbup: from me too

Today's work truck music...

d11c81b0c8a073725b8b8110.L.jpg

Jailbreak -- CD

Thin Lizzy

1976 Vertigo Records

Jailbreak, what a fantastic recording!, July 13, 2005
By Hellion Zephreid (Pittsburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)

I remember buying this in the summer of 1976 after hearing "The Boys Are back in Town" on the radio a few times. That song is one of the top 10 songs ever! When I bought it as an LP (remember those?), I was so excited and distracted that I put the wrong side on the turntable. Instead of that song, out of the speakers came the title track JAILBREAK. Another timeless classic. Needles to say, the entire record of 9 songs was fantastic and there truly isn't a dud on here. Since then I have bought these songs on cassette, CD, and now the remastered version. Great story in the liner notes too. Buy it and read it for yourself. It is almost hard to believe the recorded output Lizzy put out in the years of 1975 through 1977. Quality too. Hell, "Johnny the Fox" also came out later that year in '76 and is every bit as good as this, unfortunately overlooked because of the lack of a hit. Personal favorites on here are "Romeo and the Lonely Girl", "Emerald", and "Warriors". I love them all. If you want some great rock songs with excellent twin guitar breaks, this is for you. See where Maiden, Leppard, and The Darkness got it from in the first place!

All songs written by Phil Lynott except where noted.

Side one

"Jailbreak" – 4:01
"Angel from the Coast" (Lynott, Brian Robertson) – 3:03
"Running Back" – 3:13
"Romeo and the Lonely Girl" – 3:55
"Warriors" (Lynott, Scott Gorham) – 4:09

Side two

"The Boys Are Back in Town" – 4:27
"Fight or Fall" – 3:45
"Cowboy Song" (Lynott, Brian Downey) – 5:16
"Emerald" (Gorham, Downey, Robertson, Lynott) – 4:03

On the 1996 Mercury CD reissue, "Angel from the Coast" and "Running Back" are listed as the second track with only one running time, making it appear to be a single song called "Angel from the Coast Running Back", and there is no third track listed. However, all the songs are sequenced as on the original LP release.

Back