• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

41E06FSEEZL.jpg

Editorial Reviews:
"Gentle, graceful, subtle, sweet--these aren't descriptions generally applied to the blues, but they offer a sense of Mississippi John Hurt's uniqueness and enduring legacy. Rediscovered during the 1960s folk boom after last recording in the late 1920s, Hurt cut the three albums compiled here when he was in his early 70s. His conversational phrasing sounds as natural as breathing, while his ragtime-tinged fingerpicking on acoustic guitar reveals more complexity the closer you listen. Beyond blues classics like "Candy Man" (the sly sensualist wasn't referring to lollipops), Hurt's range encompasses everything from folkish narratives ("Talking Casey," "Spike Driver Blues") to Southern spirituals ("Nearer My God to Thee," "Farther Along"). Though Hurt died in 1966, shortly after the last of these sessions, the music still sounds so fresh, you can almost hear the twinkle in his eye."
~ Don McLeese

Description:
"Vanguard captured the beauty and soul of this Delta bluesman to great effect on The Immortal Mississippi John Hurt, Today! and his last studio recording, Last Sessions . Those three LPs are all here, featuring Moaning the Blues; Poor Boy, Long Ways from Home; I'm Satisfied; Keep On Knocking; All Night Long , and more, with detailed notes."

515eFX3uLAL.jpg

Private Brubeck Remembers -- DSD CD

Dave Brubeck - Solo Piano

2004 Telarc Records

Pianist Dave Brubeck is one of the world's most popular jazz musicians, proving time and again that "creativity" and "accessibility" are not mutually exclusive concepts. Brubeck came to fame with two editions of his quartet in the 1950s and '60s, but his forays into solo piano recital are, alas, not as well known. PRIVATE BRUBECK REMEMBERS, recorded in 2004, is a marvelous addition to the piano player's solo canon, focusing entirely on popular songs from the World War II era.The tunes here--including "For All We Know," "Lili Marlene," and "Where or When"--evoke a period in American history where heartening sentiment was a comfort in a war-torn world, and Brubeck gives these songs a loving, wistful treatment that conveys both starry-eyed romance and cautious optimism. While Brubeck's percussive style has mellowed a bit with time, his approach remains hearty and spare, never "crowding" a melody with unneeded notes and fills, his playing rich with subtle shades of the blues.

Track Listing

PRIVATE BRUBECK REPORTING FOR DUTY, SIR!:
1. For All We Know
2. Something to Remember You By
3. Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me)
4. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
5. For You
6. Where or When
7. Lili Marlene
8. It's a Sin to Tell a Lie
9. When I Grow Too Old to Dream
10. We Crossed the Rhine
11. Please Be Kind
12. Weep No More
13. Last Time I Saw Paris, The
14. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To

Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano).

61KPvNfIVUL.jpg

51XBRzXdK2L.jpg

Whipped Cream & Other Delights - Re-Whipped -- CD

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass Remixes

2006 Almo/Shout Factory Records

Rewhipped amounts to a pseudo-addition to the original Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass catalog. This album of remixes by late-'90s and 2000-era DJs features new trumpet solos by Herb Alpert on seven tracks. All the cuts here appeared on the original 1965 release, Whipped Cream & Other Delights, though not in the same order. Before rolling your eyes, consider this: the music on this set was regarded not only as hip, but as progressive jazz by many back in the day. Producer Anthony Marinelli supervised all the remixes on the project and contributes six of his own -- including the title track with the aid of the band Ozomatli performing with Alpert. Marinelli is also a composer and keyboard player who has composed soundtracks (Man from Elysian Fields, Time Code) and done session work with everyone from Michael Jackson and James Brown to Giorgio Moroder, Lionel Richie, and Supertramp. Other remixes were done by Thievery Corporation, Mocean Worker, John King, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Camara Kambon, and DJ Foosh. Whatever trepidations one might have about Alpert participating in the project, some of the best cuts on the set work best because he's on them -- the title cut (Marinelli) "El Garbanzo" (M,M&W), and "Peanuts" (Marinelli) -- in part because Alpert's gotten a lot funkier in his old age. Other standouts include the ambient dub that is "Lemon Tree" by Thievery Corporation, John King's dub-jazz-exotica redo of "A Taste of Honey" (the original album's smash single), and Mocean Worker's fine rework of "Bittersweet Samba" with killer berimbau samples grafted on. The only cut that really doesn't work is "Butterball," Although Alpert's solo is hip-cool, the song's added beats don't leave enough of the original to appreciate it -- this is a drag, since all the other tracks keep the basic cut to achieve historic continuity. It's a small complaint since it's the final selection here. Certainly the music on Rewhipped has a somewhat limited appeal, and it's hard to think of the folks who bought Whipped Cream when it was released being interested in it now, but who knows? Hardcore dance music fans will find this a curiosity piece at best, but that doesn't mean it's without musical merit. In fact, ReWhipped has as much aesthetic appeal as its predecessor because the music Alpert and his band made in '65 has aged so well. Judging by his contribution here, Alpert certainly has, too -- at 71, the cat is still swingin'. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Whipped Cream
2. A Taste of Honey
3. Green Peppers
4. Lady Fingers
5. Love Potion No. 9
6. Peanuts
7. Tangerine
8. El Garbanzo
9. Lemon Tree
10. Lollipops and Roses
11. Bittersweet Samba
12. Butterball

Personnel: Ra£l Pacheco (vocals, electric guitar, tres); Kina Cosper, Asdrubal Sierra (vocals); Clint Bennett, David Alfonso (acoustic guitar); John Spiker (lap steel guitar, ukulele, piano, Clavinet, Wurlitzer organ, synthesizer, shaker, bells); Ulises Bella (requinto, bass clarinet, saxophone); Herb Alpert (trumpet); Anthony Marinelli (piano, electric piano, Clavinet, keyboards, synthesizer); John Medeski (piano, organ, Wurlitzer organ, Mellotron); Billy Martin (xylophone, drums); Curt Visquera (drums); Jiro Yamaguchi, Justin "El Ni€o" Por‚e (percussion); Mischa Chillak, Brad Breeck, Kenny Neal, Jr., Camara Kambon (drum programming).Audio Mixers: Clint Bennett; Rick Aoyama; Michael Fossenkemper; Camara Kambon.Audio Remasterer: Howie Weinberg.Audio Remixers: Thomas Foyer; Brad Breeck; John King ; Medeski, Martin & Wood; Mocean Worker; Anthony Marinelli; Thievery Corporation.Recording information: Gold Star Recording Studio; Martins'; Officine Mechaniche Recording Studios, Milan, Italy; Woods'.Author: Herb Alpert.Photographer: Alison Dyer.Arranger: Herb Alpert.

Inside cover bonus picture:

51ZVNDxLnvL.jpg

Today's work truck music...

a2e3f0cdd7a04fd4e92d7110.L.jpg

Prairie Wind -- CD

Neil Young

2005 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

An artist for all musical seasons, Neil Young returns to autumnal harvest mode on Prairie Wind, with homespun material and sing-song melodies that renew the spirit of some of his most popular releases. Yet the mood here is darker in its maturity than on Harvest and Harvest Moon--the previous releases in what now sounds like a trilogy--and the arrangements have greater range and aural depth, with Wayne Jackson of the soulful Memphis Horns, the Fisk University Jubilee Singers gospel choir, and a string section employed to striking effect. This is a song cycle of dreams, memories, family ties, and the passage of time--what is lost and what endures. The elliptical, epic "No Wonder," with its evocation of 9/11, ranks with the most ambitious songs of Young's career, while "Falling Off the Face of the Earth," "It's a Dream," and the bluesy title cut combine childlike innocence with unsettling experience. Spooner Oldham's church keyboards and coproducer Ben Keith's steel guitar reinforce the sound's sturdy simplicity. Young has released a lot of albums in different musical styles, but Prairie Wind feels like a homecoming, and ranks with his very best. --Don McLeese

All songs written by Neil Young, and ©2005 Silver Fiddle Music (ASCAP)

"The Painter" – 4:36
"No Wonder" – 5:45
"Falling Off the Face of the Earth" – 3:35
"Far From Home" – 3:47
"It's a Dream" – 6:31
"Prairie Wind" – 7:34
"Here for You" – 4:32
"This Old Guitar" – 5:32
"He Was the King" – 6:08
"When God Made Me" – 4:05

61A9a8DF5JL.jpg

II - Deluxe Edition - Remastered 2 CD Set

Led Zeppelin

2014 Atlantic Records

Second Disc Contains Previously Unreleased Companion Material That Offers Insightful Look at Recording Sessions and Previously Unreleased Track "La La".

Packaging Faithfully Replicates Original Artwork: 16-Page Booklet Included

John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant came together in 1968 as Led Zeppelin. Over the next decade, the band would become one of the most influential, innovative and successful groups in modern music, selling more than 300 million albums worldwide. Their songs are some of the most celebrated in rock 'n' roll history that, to this day, resonate with fans young and old around the globe. Still, no matter how many times you may have listened to their music, you've never heard Led Zeppelin like this before.

Painstakingly remastered from the original master tapes by guitarist Jimmy Page, this CD of Led Zeppelin II sounds utterly amazing. Page spent years on this project with one goal in mind: Making these reissues the end-all-be-all definitive digital editions of his iconic band's records. He has succeeded, and then some. In addition, this special Deluxe Edition features previously unreleased companion audio that will satisfy every fan.

The companion audio for Led Zeppelin II: Deluxe Edition gives fans the first peek into the band's recording sessions, with alternate mixes of five songs from the album, backing tracks to "Thank You" and "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)," and the previously unreleased track "La La."

The band wrote and recorded nearly all of Led Zeppelin II while touring relentlessly to support its debut album. Incredibly, the album was released just seven months after Led Zeppelin in October of 1969. Led Zeppelin II features some of the band's most beloved tracks including "Ramble On" and "Heartbreaker" as well as "Whole Lotta Love," considered by many to be one of the greatest rock n' roll songs of all time. The album is certified diamond by the RIAA with sales of over 12 million copies.

Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II: Deluxe Edition Track Listing:

1. "Whole Lotta Love"
2. "What Is And What Should Never Be"
3. "The Lemon Song"
4. "Thank You"
5. "Heartbreaker"
6. "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)"
7. "Ramble On"
8. "Moby Dick"

Companion Audio
1. "Whole Lotta Love"
2. "What Is And What Should Never Be"
3. "Thank You"
4. "Heartbreaker"
5. "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)"
6. "Ramble On"
7. "Moby Dick"
8. "La La"

The band consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones, and drummer John Bonham.

433571a88da09da1e405d110.L.jpg

New Favorite CD

Alison Krauss + Union Station

2001 Rounder Records

No expectations, June 16, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: New Favorite (Audio CD)

It seems that most of the negative or lukewarm reviews here are written by those who approached this record with expectations of what bluegrass should be, or what Krauss & Union Station should be, or what country should be.

I came in with none of those. I know almost nothing about bluegrass or AKUS...I'm not even sure what a dobro is.

I heard "Lucky One" on an "adult alternative" radio station, of all places, and had heard about Krauss' talent, so I took a chance on this CD. I'm not a country fan nor a bluegrass fan by any means, I just thought it was a pretty song.

It turns out that the whole CD is very strong, filled with beautifully written and performed songs. There's definitely a pop feel to a few of the tunes, such as Fogelberg's "Stars", but every one is played and sung with feeling and musicianship. The production values are excellent too -- no studio gimmicks, just pure sounds crystal clear.

It's hard to imagine anyone who appreciates music being let down by this set.

"Let Me Touch You for Awhile" (Robert Lee Castleman) – 3:21
"The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn" (Traditional) – 4:40
"The Lucky One" (Castleman) – 3:10
"Choctaw Hayride" (Jerry Douglas) – 3:10
"Crazy Faith" (Mark Simos) – 3:47
"Momma Cried" (Bob Lucas) – 3:20
"I'm Gone" (Eric Kaz, Wendy Waldman) – 3:28
"Daylight" (Lucas) – 4:03
"Bright Sunny South" (Traditional) – 3:00
"Stars" (Dan Fogelberg) – 2:54
"It All Comes Down to You" (Ron Block) – 2:44
"Take Me for Longing" (Simos) – 2:51
"New Favorite" (David Rawlings, Gillian Welch) – 4:34

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

51lgTprqDTL.jpg

Recorded Fall 1961 -- 24 Bit Remastered CD

Stan Getz - Bob Brookmeyer

1961/2002 Verve Master Edition

Shortly after returning to the U.S. (following three years in Copenhagen) Stan Getz had a musical reunion with Bob Brookmeyer. As usual the cool-toned tenor blends in very well with the valve trombonist and, backed by a fine rhythm section (pianist Steve Kuhn, bassist John Neves and drummer Roy Haynes), they perform three Brookmeyer pieces (including one titled "Minuet Circa '61"), two standards and Buck Clayton's "Love Jumped Out." This little-known session is often quite memorable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Minuet Circa '61
2. Who Could Care?
3. Nice Work If You Can Get It
4. Thump, Thump Thump
5. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
6. Love Jumped Out

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone); Steve Kuhn (piano); John Neves (bass); Roy Haynes (drums).Recorded at Nola Studios, New York, New York in September 1961. Originally released on Verve (8418). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Loren Schoenberg.All tracks have been digitally remastered

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-rock:

f71e225b9da02037e9b25110.L.jpg

The Hawk Relaxes -- Remastered 24bit CD

Coleman Hawkins

1961/2006 Prestige-Moodsville/Concord Records

Some would contend that THE HAWK RELAXES is largely mood music; it's made up almost entirely of ballads of a similar tempo. However, the quality of the music presented here automatically takes this recording (and all of the musicians) out of the limited realm of mood music.These subtle renderings of songs such as "Under a Blanket of Blue," "More Than You Know," and "Speak Low" feature not only Coleman Hawkins' inimitable thick but never hard-edged sound, but also a youthful Kenny Burrell's refined approach to the electric guitar. In fact, on the entire album, Burrell performs almost in the role of a horn player. The tenor legend and the guitarist develop quite a rapport over the course of these seven tracks. Don't be fooled by this music; it may be sleepy, but it's filled with some of the most advanced ballad playing jazz has ever fostered.

Track Listing
1. I'll Never Be the Same
2. When Day Is Done
3. Under a Blanket of Blue
4. More Than You Know
5. Moonglow
6. Just a Gigolo
7. Speak Low

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Ronnell Bright (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Andrew Cyrille (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on February 28, 1961. Originally released on Moodsville (15). Includes original release liner notes by Joe Goldberg.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

61CWliE4mhL.jpg

Rossiter Road -- CD

Ahmad Jamal

1986 Atlantic Records

This is probably the best Jamal recording. June 11, 1998
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

Tthis disc sizzles for one reason: Herlin Riley, the drummer. Jamal flies, he soars across the keyboard, across modalities and changes like few others, but unlike some other discs, Riley, along with the solid, if sweating, James Cammack, on bass, provides a solid launch pad. Get it, listen, and wonder why this trio hasn't made more discs.

All compositions by Ahmad Jamal except as indicated

"Milan" - 5:50
"If I Find the Way" - 4:12
"Without You" - 5:18
"Acorn" - 4:58
"Yellow Fellow" (Christian Paulin) - 6:20
"Autumn Rain" - 5:32
"Winter Snow" - 4:11
"Rossiter Road" - 6:09

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); James Cammack (bass); Herlin Riley (drums); Manola Badrena (percussion).Recorded at Skyline Studios, New York on February 1, 1986.

71DStPNzbxL_zps0b329929.jpg

Autumn In Seattle -- 32 Bit Ultra-HD CD

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

2012 First Impression Music

This Ultra HD 32-Bit Mastering CD will play on ALL CD players!

This album features the artistry of one of Japan's top pianist's. When asked about the title of this album, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto had this to say: "I wrote this piece especially for this album and dedicated it to Winston Ma, the producer. I asked Winston to name the song. After hearing the song, Winston said he was reminded of the emotions he felt when he first saw the skyline of Seattle during an Autumn visit to the city some years go." Hence the name. Let Tsuyoshi lead you to a warm and romantic dreamland through his enchanting piano performances.

Ultra High Definition 32-Bit Mastering is a proprietary ultra-high-quality mastering system. This leading-edge system has achieved unprecedented sonority and musicality, reproducing as closely as possible the sound of the original master tape! This format employs what is currently the highest attainable resolution bit depth (word length) in the professional audio field, i.e. 32-bit. 32-bit resolution makes possible maximized, undistorted dynamics, and the lowest noise floor, allowing even the quietest musical information to be heard more clearly. This breakthrough results from the development, through years of experience and application of advanced digital technology, of a sophisticated A/D and D/A processing system.

Ultra HD 32-Bit Mastering does not specify a sampling rate; this allows flexibility in meticulously choosing the appropriate bandwidth for a particular recording. The higher the sampling rate -- for example, 192 kHz -- the greater the bandwidth. However, merely employing the greatest bandwidth may not guarantee the ultimate sound. With some recordings, a lower sampling rate -- 96 or 176 kHz -- may offer better musicality and more homogeneous harmonics. This determination requires careful and discerning auditioning and professional judgment. In the end, the human being’s hearing and emotions should be the final arbiter, rather than the print-out of testing equipment or technical measurements.

Recognizing these variables, FIM nevertheless tries to use 32-bit depth and 192 kHz bandwidth whenever the original analog master is at hand. Alternatively, if the original recording is on 24/96, the 32/96 may eventually be used to maintain the integrity of the sonority particular to that recording. With this flexibility, First Impression Music believes that preeminent sound is only achievable when the chemistry of the recording, mastering, glass-stamper making, replication, and quality control is right. As always, listening is believing.

This recording has been mastered by the new Ultra High Definition 32-Bit Mastering process, which creates an unbelievable sound surpassing other formats!

1. The Way We Were (Marvin Hamlisch)
2. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Burt Bacharach)
3. Autumn In Seattle
4. Misty (Erroll Garner)
5. Love Is A Many Splendored Thing (Sammy Fain)
6. Theme From Spartacus (Khachaturian)
7. No Problem (Duke Jordan)
8. As Time Goes By (Herman Hupfeld)
9. Sound Of Music Medley (Richard Rodgers)
10. A Time For Us (Nino Rota)

Musicians:
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, piano
Ken Kaneko, bass
Toshio Osumi, drums

619Gp4FzqUL.jpg

Sweet Georgia Peach -- CD

Russell Malone

1998 GRP/Jazz Heritage

During part of the 1990s, Russell Malone put his solo career on the back burner as he toured the world as an important part of Diana Krall's trio. Since he was scheduled to break away from Krall at the end of 1998, the release of this solo album was a timely event. With a couple of exceptions, the emphasis here is on slower tempos and relaxed moods. There are no swing standards included other than "Someone's Rocking My Dreamboat," and only "Sweet Georgia Peach" (which is a bit funky) and Thelonious Monk's "Bright Mississippi" (based on the chords of "Sweet Georgia Brown") are taken at faster speeds. The latter, a Malone duet with pianist Kenny Barron, is easily this CD's high point. Of the repertoire, the guitarist contributed five of the ten numbers and is also heard exploring Thad Jones' "Mean What You Say," "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," and a couple of obscurities. Malone and Barron are joined by bassist Ron Carter and drummer Lewis Nash throughout the melodic, often melancholy, and generally wistful outing. Although it would have been better if there were more tempo variations and some heated selections, this is a tasteful effort, and Russell Malone does have a beautiful tone on his guitar. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Mugshot
2. To Benny Golson
3. Strange Little Smile / With You I'm Born Again
4. Sweet Georgia Peach
5. Rise
6. Mean What You Say
7. Song For Darius
8. Bright Mississippi
9. Someone's Rocking My Dreamboat
10. For Toddlers Only
11. Sweet Chariot Swing Low

Personnel: Russell Malone (guitar); Kenny Barron (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Lewis Nash (drums); Steve Kroon (percussion).Recorded at Avatar Studios, New York, New York on February 17-19, 1998. Includes liner notes by Bob Blumenthal.

71-5lsjCNBL_zps72b4a10d.jpg

Elegant Soul -- Remastered CD

Gene Harris and His Three Sounds

1968/2008 Blue Note Rare Groove Series

ELEGANT SOUL (1968) was the penultimate release by the Three Sounds, and sees them leaving behind the cool instrumental jazz that had typified most of their previous output, and moving more decisively in the direction of easy-listening pop. While the group had always had something of a light, accessible take on post-bop, ELEGANT SOUL, with its string arrangements and pop-oriented ambitions, finds them crossing over into easy listening. The 2008 reissue, part of a Blue Note reissue project targeting rare groove collectors and fans of soul-jazz, contextualizes the album for what it is: a unique jazz-soul-pop hybrid.

"Elegant Soul" (Virginia P. Bland) - 3:15
"Do It Right Now" (Bland) - 6:20
"Sittin' Duck" (Monk Higgins) - 9:18
"(Sock It to Me) Harper Valley P.T.A." (Tom T. Hall) - 2:48
"Sugar Hill" (Dee Ervin, Miles Grayson) - 2:48
"African Sweets" (Ervin) - 4:30
"Black Gold" (Grayson) - 3:29
"Book of Slim" (Higgins) - 3:26
"Walls of Respect" (Gene Harris, Higgins) - 3:13

Recorded at RPM Studios, Los Angeles, California on September 19 (tracks 3, 4 & 8) and September 20 (tracks 1, 2, 5-7 & 9), 1968

The Three Sounds: Gene Harris (piano); Andy Simpkins (bass instrument); Carl Burnett (drum).Additional personnel: Al Vescovo (guitar); Henry Felber (violin, strings); Dave Burk, Leonard Malarsky, Ralph Schaeffer (violin); Philip Goldberg (viola); Jerry Kessler (cello); William Kurash, Albert Steinberg (strings); Jim Horn (flute); Bob Jung (reeds); Miles Grayson, Paul Humphrey (drum); Alan Estes, Dee Ervin (percussion); Louis Kievman.Arranger: Monk Higgins.

51bWIa%2BYMaL.jpg

Quietly There -- 20-bit K2 XRCD

Zoot Sims plays Johnny Mandel

1984/1993 Pablo/JVC Records

Norman Granz's idea to match Zoot Sims' lyrical, swinging tenor sax with Johnny Mandel's equally arresting compositions was a masterful one. Sims' tart, alternately lush and furious solos were wonderfully spotlighted on such tunes as "Cinnamon and Cloves," "Emily" and "Zoot." The six-tune session, recently issued on CD, also contains effective piano solos from Mike Wofford. The date's tour-de-force was its final selection, the wonderful "Low Life," which Sims probed, illuminated and ultimately redefined via his solo. ~ Ron Wynn

1. Cinnamon and Cloves
2. A Time For Love
3. Zoot
4. Quietly There
5. Emily
6. Low Life

Musicians:
Zoot Sims, tenor saxophone
Mike Wofford, piano
Chuck Berghofer, bass
Nick Ceroli, drums
Victor Feldman, percussion

d58151c88da0ad8dca852210.L.jpg

Live In San Francisco -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet

1959/2000 Riverside/Fantasy Records

Hot on the heels of session work with Miles Davis and his KIND OF BLUE-era group, alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley recorded this excellent live date with his brother, cornetist Nat Adderley, along with pianist Bobby Timmons, bassist Sam Jones, and drummer Louis Hayes. THE CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET IN SAN FRANCISCO defined the accessible, yet technically challenging, soul-jazz that Adderley would be associated with for the rest of his career.The warm, exuberant feel of the quintet is especially evident on the set's two finest tracks--a spirited take on Randy Weston's "Hi-Fly," and on Timmons's swinging "This Here." Two of Adderley's own compositions, "Spontaneous Combustion" and "You Got It!," blend blazing post-bop dexterity with pulsing, infectious blues structures, and pave the way for a funky take on Thelonious Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" (a bonus track on the reissued CD). Both Cannonball and Nat Adderley play with stunning, bluesy brilliance here, while the rhythm section ably anchors the proceedings. Outside of SOMETHING ELSE (Adderley's 1958 masterpiece), IN SAN FRANCISCO may be the saxophonist's defining moment.

Track Listing
1. Announcement by Cannonball into This Here
2. Spontaneous Combustion
3. Hi-Fly
4. You Got It!
5. Bohemia After Dark
6. Straight, No Chaser (bonus track)

Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Bobby Timmons (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).Recorded live at The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on October 18 & 20, 1959. Originally released on Riverside (1157). Includes original liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

JVCXR-0049-Large_zps415506b7.jpg

Quiet Kenny -- 20-Bit K2 Remastered XRCD

Kenny Dorham

1992 New Jazz/JVC Records

Quiet Kenny is yet another reminder of what a trumpet giant Kenny Dorham was. Whether limning ballads such as "My Ideal," "Alone Together," "I Had the Craziest Dream," and "Old Folks," or investigating the timelessness and intricacies of the blues (his originals in this set with "Blue" in their titles), the former Charlie Parker cohort and ex-Jazz Messenger exhibits his subtle swing, personal sound, and finely-honed harmonic sense. Along the way these reflections and connections with Bird, Coleman Hawkins, Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Harry James, and Louis Armstrong make for a rich legacy. (This reissue contains a bonus track, "Mack the Knife," that was left off the original master). The XRCD version of this stunning release rivals any version to date.

1. Lotus Blossom
2. My Ideal
3. Blue Friday
4. Alone Together
5. Blue Spring Shuffle
6. I Had the Craziest Dream
7. Old Folks
8. Mack the Knife

Musicians:
Kenny Dorham, trumpet
Tommy Flanagan, piano
Paul Chambers, bass
Arthur Taylor, drums

51LiQ57BMLL._SS400_.jpg

REPTILE -- 24-bit HDCD Import

Eric Clapton

2001 East Record & Tape Company

"Reptile" - as in "Lizard Lounge" and it's Great!, April 5, 2001
By Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 100 REVIEWER) (2008 HOLIDAY TEAM) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Reptile (Audio CD)

For those expecting the rock of "Layla", the variety of "Pilgrim" or the funkiness of "461 Ocean Boulevard", you might be disappointed, but "Reptile" is a masterpiece. All fourteen songs are what you might expect from a personal concert in a small cafe from Eric Clapton. Rythym and Blues are the mainstay here and it shows with classic covers of Ray Charles', "Come Back Baby", James Taylors' "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" and Stevie Wonders', "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It". This collection stands out for consistency and pure love of 'feel good' club music. Granted, Clapton does push more energy on "Superman Inside", almost 'out-blues' himself on "Got You On My Mind" and pulls at your heartstrings with the lovely instrumental, "Son & Sylvia". Each of Clapton's albums vary from time to time and usually for the better. This is a 'low key evening by the fire' collection. It's just one of the things Clapton does the best.

"Reptile" (Eric Clapton) – 3:26
"Got You on My Mind" (Joe Thomas, Howard Briggs) – 4:30
"Travelin' Light" (J. J. Cale) – 4:17
"Believe in Life" (Clapton) – 5:05
"Come Back Baby" (Ray Charles) – 3:55
"Broken Down" (Simon Climie, Dennis Morgan) – 5:25
"Find Myself" (Clapton) – 5:15
"I Ain't Gonna Stand for It" (Stevie Wonder) – 4:49
"I Want a Little Girl" (Murray Mencher, Billy Moll) – 2:58
"Second Nature" (Clapton, Climie, Morgan) – 4:48
"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" (James Taylor) – 4:47
"Modern Girl" (Clapton) – 4:49
"Superman Inside" (Clapton, Doyle Bramhall II, Susannah Melvoin) – 5:07
"Son & Sylvia" (Clapton) – 4:43
"Losing Hand" [Bonus track from Japanese release] (Jesse Stone) – 4:18

Eric Clapton – vocals, guitars, producer, album sleeve concept
Steve Gadd – drums
Billy Preston – hammond organ, piano, harmonica
Nathan East – bass
Doyle Bramhall II – guitar
Pino Palladino – bass on "Reptile" and "Second Nature"
Andy Fairweather Low – guitar
Tim Carmon – piano, hammond organ, synthesizer
Paul Carrack – keyboards, wurlitzer, hammond organ
Paul Waller – drum programming
The Impressions – backing vocals
Joe Sample – Wurlitzer, fender rhodes, electric piano (08,11,14), piano (11,14)
Paulinho da Costa – percussion
Nick Ingman – string arrangement

09fe619009a0616838207110.L.jpg

One Man Band -- CD/DVD

James Taylor

2007 Hear Music

Product Description
James Taylor's "One Man Band," a new CD/DVD set of live recordings and the stories behind the songs. The set list is drawn from Taylor's recent concerts at the Colonial Theatre in the Berkshires and features new performances from some of the iconic singer/songwriter's most beloved recordings including "Something in the Way," "Carolina in my Mind," and "Fire and Rain," interspersed with Taylor's insightful and humorous anecdotes on the inspiration for the songs.

For the DVD portion of "One Man Band," Taylor called on veteran television events producer and director Don Mischer ("Kennedy Center Honors," and "Super Bowl XLI Halftime Show with Prince") and executive producer and acclaimed filmmaker Sydney Pollack ("Out of Africa," "Sketches of Frank Gehry") and their extensive talents to properly capture the feel of the live concerts. "One Man Band" tells the story of Taylor's songs through exclusive interviews and rare multi-media footage, including home movies and photographs from Taylor's personal archives. The result is an extraordinary, one-of-a-kind portrait of an artist, his renowned repertoire and the personal stories behind the songs.

Over the course of his career, James Taylor has sold over 40 million albums, and won over 40 gold, platinum and multi-platinum awards as well as five GRAMMY® Awards. Taylor's first "Greatest Hits" album earned him the RIAA's elite Diamond Award, given for sales in excess of 10 million units in the United States. In 2000, Taylor was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the prestigious Songwriters Hall of Fame. In February 2006, The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences named Taylor its MUSICARES Person of the Year.

"Something in the Way She Moves" – 3:47
"Never Die Young" – 4:24
"The Frozen Man" – 5:07
"Mean Old Man" – 3:42
"School Song" – 1:27
"Country Road" – 4:08
"Slap Leather" – 3:07
"My Traveling Star" – 4:11
"You've Got a Friend" – 5:02
"Steamroller Blues" – 5:59
"Secret O' Life" – 3:42
"Line 'Em Up" – 4:39
"Chili Dog" – 1:50
"Shower the People" – 4:56
"Sweet Baby James" – 3:41
"Carolina in My Mind" – 5:04
"Fire and Rain" – 4:52
"Copperline" – 4:52
"You Can Close Your Eyes" – 3:08

51bggvcI1IL.jpg

As One -- CD

The Larry Goldings Trio

2000 Palmetto Records

Here's an authentic organ trio with all the size and scope of Mount Everest, and twice the cool. Sure, there are Hammond B-3 players with more extravagant floor routines and bluster, but if they gave out medals for swing, subtlety, suppleness, sound, and soul, then Larry Goldings would wear Olympic gold. Long-time collaborators Bill Stewart on drums and Peter Bernstein on guitar round out a trinity of improvisers that operate with the free-flowing give and take, structured architecture, shifting tempo, and varied dynamics of a good basketball team. Thus, on the ballad "The Thrill Is Gone," guitarist Bernstein builds his phrases from ripe, sapphire-hued teardrops, more intent on the quality of his tone and a smoky evocation of the mood than on showy flourishes of notes. Few drummers could vacuum-seal a medium blues groove quite as tightly as Stewart does on "Back in the Day," with Goldings ushering the theme on a woolen pile of exotic, glowing harmonies. On "Calls" the organist provides just the right degree of low-end riptide to make things slightly convulsive and desperate for guitarist Bernstein, as Stewart's dry, driving beat seems to envelop the proceedings in heat without consuming the groove in his own fire; and when the organist enters, it is with the studied, canny calm of a Hammond B-3 master who knows how to let the instrument do the heavy lifting, building tension just as oodles of power are held in reserve. The surreal tonal potential of the Hammond B-3 gives this date an intimate aura of possibility. He portrays the instrument with such Near Eastern warmth and shimmering layers of bell-like, moaning timbres, that Debussy, Bill Evans, and that forgotten hero of the modern organ, Larry Young (Khalid Yasin), come to mind. --Chip Stern

Track Listing:

Mixed Message
Going To Meet The Man
The Thrill Is Gone
Back In The Day
Calls
As One
Time Of The Season
Mynah
Glass

Larry Goldings - Organ Peter Bernstein - Guitar Bill Stewart - Drums

51Nr9j1EZPL.jpg

The Imagine Project -- Special Edition CD

Herbie Hancock

2010 Hancock Records

Herbie Hancock's star-studded The Imagine Project was several years in the making, recorded in seven countries with musicians from all over the globe. Hancock's band with producer/bassist Larry Klein, drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, percussionist Alex Acu€a, and guitarist Lionel Loueke is a common denominator. Most selections are interpretations of well-known pop, folk, and soul songs. The best things here are indeed fine. There's a gorgeous reading of Baden Powell's "Tempo de Amore" thanks to Lucas Martins' bassline and C‚U's singing. "Space Captain" by the Derek Trucks-Susan Tedeschi Band --with Hancock and Colaiuta -- brings out a much-needed soulful grit to Tedeschi's vocals, gospelized four-party harmony, and tough slide playing by Trucks. Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are a Changin'," with Lisa Hannigan's raw, emotive vocals, is underscored by interplay between the Chieftains and Toumani Diabat‚'s kora and Hancock's piano. The tune actually moves past its American folk revival beginnings to reflect a worldwide sentiment. "Tamatant Tilay"/"Exodus" pairs the nomad Malian guitar band Tinariwen's song with Bob Marley's classic. Hancock's trio, K'NAAN, Tinariwen, and three members of Los Lobos are all featured on vocals. Tinariwen dominates with Hancock's funky clavinet pushing against their snaky wall of guitars and ululating singing; it's the hippest track here. Klein's "The Song Goes On" features Anoushka Shankar, Wayne Shorter, Chaka Khan, and K.S. Chithra with some lyrics translated into Hindi for the Indian vocalists. A full-on Indian session band interacts with Shorter's knotty soprano sax, and the only truly engaged Hancock piano playing on the set. ~ Thom Jurek

Track listing:

1. Imagine (feat. P!nk, Seal, India.Arie, Jeff Beck, Konono #1 & Omou Sangare)

2. Don't Give Up (feat. P!nk & John Legend)

3. Tempo De Amor (feat. Céu)

4. Space Captain (feat. Susan Tedeschi And Derek Trucks)

5. The Times They Are a Changin' (feat. The Chieftains, Toumani Diabete, Lisa Hannigan)

6. La Tierra (feat. Juanes)

7. Tamatant Tillay/Exodus (feat. Tinariwen, K'Naan, Los Lobos)

8. Tomorrow Never Knows (feat. Dave Matthews)

9. A Change Is Gonna Come (feat. James Morrison)

10. The Song Goes On (feat. K.S. Chithra, Chaka Khan, Anoushka Shankar And Wayne Shorter)

Bonus tracks

11. Maiden Voyage (live/previously unreleased)

12. Rockit (live/previously unreleased)

Back