• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51HMJb8FOfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Incredible! :music-listening:

Today's work truck music...

2f18eb6709a06854eafa2110.L.jpg

August and Everything After -- CD

Counting Crows

1993 Geffen Records

Crows Fly High, December 21, 2000
By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: August & Everything After (Audio CD)

August & Everything After is the amazing debut from Counting Crows. They mix the lyrical stylings of Van Morrison and the rustic sounds of The Band with a dash of U2 thrown in for good measure. But despite these obvious influences, they band has a fresh and unique sound all their own. Adam Duritz uses a sharp pen in his writing and he has one of the most soulful and expressive voices in music. He practically bleeds on songs like somber "Round Here", the condemning of suburban life of "Perfect Blue Buildings" and the gorgeous and lilting "Sullivan Street". "Anna Begins" is a sweet love song and "Rain King" has a soaring sound to it. "Murder Of One" closes the album in a U2-esque, spiritual like rocker. "Mr. Jones" was the breakout song from the album and the one that gained the band large airplay. It is an immediate classic with a memorable guitar riff and vivid lyrics. Mr. Duritz says he wants to Bob Dylan in the song and he comes *** close on the song. The album was an alternative to the alternative music that dominated the airways at the time. The album was heaped with well-deserved praise, as it is one of the ten best of the 90's.

All tracks written by Adam Duritz unless otherwise indicated.

"Round Here" (Duritz, Dave Janusko, Dan Jewett, Chris Roldan, David Bryson) – 5:32
"Omaha" – 3:40
"Mr. Jones" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:33
"Perfect Blue Buildings" – 5:01
"Anna Begins" (Duritz, Bryson, Marty Jones, Toby Hawkins, Lydia Holly) – 4:32
"Time and Time Again" (Duritz, Bryson, Charlie Gillingham, Steve Bowman, Don Dixon) – 5:13
"Rain King" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:16
"Sullivan Street" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:29
"Ghost Train" – 4:01
"Raining in Baltimore" – 4:41
"A Murder of One" (Duritz, Bryson, Matt Malley) – 5:44

51e7IXUT8%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Great Moments with B.B. King -- CD

B.B. King

1981 MCA Records

Fine mix of live & studio recordings, January 9, 2000
By MilesAndTrane (Chicago, Il USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Moments With B.B. King (Audio CD)

Compared to other efforts, "Great Moments With B.B. King" is something of a lesser effort. The first half of the album is comprised of intimate, live club performances. The second half are studio tracks. If you love "ol' school" sounding blues then this is for you. Part of the ol' school trick comes from the mixing. Whether live or in the studio, these records are usually mixed to sound as if the drums and bass guitar are in the back of the stage/studio, followed by organ and/or rhythm guitar in the middle, with horns, lead guitar & vocals up front. This album sticks by the ol' school method faithfully and sounds better for doing so. The studio cuts are not as great as the small club performances; the first 5 live tracks are especially mindblowing.

Maybe you've heard the King or Lucille sound better on other albums and you may be right, but the feeling is still overwhelming. This album is authentic, gritty blues from the King that would soon be replaced by the air-tight, blemish-free performances we now know (but love anyway).

Track listing

1. Waitin' on You
2. Gambler's Blues
3. Tired of Your Jive
4. Night Life
5. Buzz Me
6. Blind Love
7. Baby Get Lost
8. Gonna Keep on Loving You
9. I Know What You're Puttin' Down
10. Heartbreaker
11. Dance With Me
12. That's Wrong Little Mama
13. See See Rider
14. Wee Baby Blues
15. I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water
16. I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town
17. How Long, How Long Blues
18. Cherry Red
19. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss
20. Until I Found You
21. I'm Gonna to Do What They Do to Me
22. Having My Say
23. I'm Not Wanted Anymore

Today's work truck music....

4fed228348a029644ed60110.L.jpg

Live Bootleg -- Remastered 20bit CD

Aerosmith

1978/1993 Sony Music

LIVE! BOOTLEG has been digitally remastered using Sony's 20-Bit Digital Super Bit Mapping process. This release includes new deluxe packaging with original release liner notes, photos and artwork.

Unlike many live albums that of this time period that were overdubbed and doctored, BOOTLEG is Aerosmith at its rawest. "Back in the Saddle" and "Toys in the Attic" contain plenty of ragged guitar playing. Despite the sub-par sound quality, the tracks triumph nonetheless thanks to the primal vibe generated by the band's chemistry. Yes, hits like "Walk This Way" and "Dream On" are included, but the true gems are oft-overlooked nuggets like "Chip Away the Stone," "Mama Kin," and an uncredited "Draw the Line" that overflow with Aerosmith's trademark sass and attitude. James Brown's "Mother Popcorn" and the blues classic "I Ain't Got You" (originally done by the Yardbirds), not only show the band's range, but its love of black music.

1. Back in the Saddle
2. Sweet Emotion
3. Lord of the Thighs
4. Toys in the Attic
5. Last Child
6. Come Together
7. Walk This Way
8. Sick as a Dog
9. Dream On
10. Chip Away the Stone
11. Sight for Sore Eyes
12. Mama Kin
13. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
14. I Ain't Got You
15. Mother Popcorn
16. Train Kept A'Rollin'/Strangers in the Night
17. Draw the Line

7851810ae7a0cd4787a3a110.L.jpg

Longing In Their Hearts -- CD

Bonnie Raitt

1994 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

Like its two multiplatinum predecessors, Longing in Their Hearts was produced by Don Was (Raitt is listed as coproducer on the last two) and features the funky rhythm section of ex-Neville Brothers bassist Hutch Hutchinson and ex-Beach Boys drummer Ricky Fataar. As before, Was provides a sympathetic blend of roots rock and radio-ready L.A. pop-rock for Raitt's always-lustrous voice. And yet too many songs on this album just sit there like wallflowers at the juke joint, without enough melody or personality to get the party started. --Geoffrey Himes

"Love Sneakin' up on You" (Little Jimmy Scott, Tom Snow) – 3:41
"Longing in Their Hearts" (Michael O'Keefe, Raitt) – 4:48
"You" (John Shanks, Bob Thiele, Tonio K.) – 4:27
"Cool, Clear Water" (Raitt) – 5:27
"Circle Dance" (Raitt) – 4:11
"I Sho Do" (Billy Always, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges) – 3:38
"Dimming of the Day" (Richard Thompson) – 3:39
"Feeling of Falling" (Raitt) – 6:17
"Steal Your Heart Away" (Paul Brady) – 5:44
"Storm Warning" (Terry Britten, Lea Maalfrid) – 4:31
"Hell to Pay" (Raitt) – 4:03
"Shadow of Doubt" (Gary Nicholson) – 4:26

In the kitchen making appetizers for a friend coming over to listen to a concert in the home theater.
My little tribute to Bobby! RIP brother! :music-listening:

Bobby+Womack+-+The+Best+Of%3A+The+Soul+Years+-+CD+ALBUM-435065.jpg

1279124786_500.jpg

Strange lookin' dude, cool hair though! But, man oh man, is he talented!!! My fave from this is "Forever". :banana-rock:

The wife and I watched this one last night and really enjoyed it.

Recommended...... :text-bravo:

a195f907-d0cf-4107-b850-2a09d2d63147_zps242592f4.jpg

Live At Montreux 2013 - The Candlelight Concerts -- CD + Blu-Ray

Brian May & Kerry Ellis

2013 Duck/Eagle Vision

Queen legend Brian May and first lady of the West End Kerry Ellis come together for The Candlelight Concerts. This great performance is captured on cd and blu-ray. Filmed at the renowned Stravinski Auditorium during the Montreux Jazz Festival in July 2013, this wonderfully intimate show blends Kerry Ellis' beautiful voice with the sympathetic guitar playing of Brian May for a largely acoustic performance of standards, ballads, Queensongs and cover versions. Also included in the set is the CD of 'Acoustic By Candlelight' recorded live on the UK leg of their tour in autumn 2012.

Track Listing

Blu-Ray:
1) I Who Have Nothing
2) Dust In The Wind
3) Born Free
4) Somebody To Love
5) Nothing Really Has Changed
6) Life Is Real
7) The Way We Were
8) '39
9) Something
10) Last Horizon
11) Love Of My Life
12) The Kissing Me Song
13) Tie Your Mother Down
14) We Will Rock You
15) No One But You
16) Crazy Little Thing Called Love

CD:
1) Born Free
2) I Loved A Butterfly
3) I Who Have Nothing
4) Dust In The Wind
5) The Kissing Me Song
6) Nothing Really Has Changed
7) Life Is Real
8) The Way We Were
9) Something
10) Love Of My Life
11) I'm Not That Girl
12) I Can't Be Your Friend
13) In The Bleak Midwinter
14) Crazy Little Thing Called Love 15) No One But You (Only The Good Die Young)

41cJKnlZWuL.jpg

Jaco -- DVD-A

Brian Bromberg

2003 A440 Music Group

This is a logical tribute album from one great bassist (Brian Bromberg) to another (Jaco Pastorius). The front of the CD purposely resembles Pastorius' debut recording and the program features six Pastorius songs (including two versions apiece of "Come on, Come Over" and "Teen Town"), Joe Zawinul's "A Remark You Made," the R&B standard "The Chicken," and Bromberg's "Tears." A master at tapping his bass and equally skilled on electric and acoustic basses, Bromberg also has the ability to sound a bit like Pastorius when he wants. This excellent tribute set uses different personnel and instrumentations on each selection and shows off the many sides of Pastorius, both as a bassist and as a composer. Highly recommended.
AMG Review by Scott Yanow

1. Come On, Come Over
2. Continuum
3. Teen Town (bass version)
4. A Remark You Made
5. Portrait of Tracy
6. Three Views of a Secret
7. The Chicken
8. Tears
9. Slang
10. Teen Town (piccolo bass)

The DVD-A is not WATERMARKED

Personnel: Brian Bromberg (arranger, acoustic & electric basses, programming); Bill Champlain (vocals); Dan Higgins, Larry Williams, Bob Mintzer, Eric Marienthal (saxophone); Gary Grant, Jerry Hey (trumpet); Andy Martin (trombone); USC Symphony Orchestra (strings); Tom Zink (piano, keyboards, programming); Jeff Lorber (electric piano, keyboards, programming); Gregg Mathison (Hammond B-3 organ); Gannin Arnold (guitar); Derrick "D Lok" Walker, Joel Taylor (drums); Chris Wabich (steel drums); Alex Acuna (percussion).

Today's work truck music.....

ed1b228348a07f2e8dbae010.L.jpg

Neil Young Unplugged -- CD

Neil Young

1993 Reprise Records

Acoustic Young, May 8, 2001

By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)

This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)

Neil Young was unplugged before the MTV show become a phenomenon, so it was only natural that he make an appearance on the show. As usual, Mr. Young mixes up his set, playing new songs like "From Hank To Hendrix" and the sweet "Harvest Moon" to old chestnuts like the Buffalo Springfield's "Mr. Soul" and "The Old Laughing Lady" from his first solo album. While many of the songs like "The Needle & The Damage Done" & the brilliant "Pocahontas" were acoustic to begin with, there are songs that go under some radical transformations. "Like A Hurricane" was a fuzz guitar heavy, sonic blast, but here it is propelled by only Mr. Young's voice and an eerie pump organ. The results are outstanding. "Transformer Man" is from his electronic album, Trans, and the vocals were distorted by a vocoder. In it's acoustic form, it takes on a weird perspective with its futuristic lyrics. "Helpless" is absolutely gorgeous with lush harmonies led by old Crazy Horse member and current E Streeter, Nils Lofgren. Unplugged is one of the better album taken from the show and shows Neil Young's chameleon like ability to transform songs into different styles.

All tracks composed by Neil Young

1. "The Old Laughing Lady" – 5:15
2. "Mr. Soul" – 3:54
3. "World on a String" – 3:02
4. "Pocahontas" – 5:06
5. "Stringman" (previously unreleased) – 4:01
6. "Like a Hurricane" – 4:44
7. "The Needle and the Damage Done" – 2:52
8. "Helpless" – 5:48
9. "Harvest Moon" – 5:20
10. "Transformer Man" – 3:36
11. "Unknown Legend" – 4:47
12. "Look Out for My Love" – 5:57
13. "Long May You Run" – 5:22
14. "From Hank to Hendrix" – 5:51

Today's work truck music....

0162228348a05a8c733ed010.L.jpg

The Cars -- HDCD

The Cars

1978/1990 Elektra Records

Amazon.com essential recording

American art-rock was often stilted and lacking in humor until the New Wave arrived. Liberated by the influence of the Velvet Underground, Roxy Music and punk-era fellow travelers like Blondie and Suicide, the Cars methodically linked hookiness (enough to produce three hit singles and several other FM favorites from this debut album) and at least one raised eyebrow. The result still plays as a rock & roll classic. And if charm wasn't their aim, the fact is, it's undeniable. --Rickey Wright

Side one

"Good Times Roll" – 3:44
"My Best Friend's Girl" – 3:44
"Just What I Needed" – 3:44
"I'm in Touch with Your World" – 3:31
"Don't Cha Stop" – 3:01

Side two

"You're All I've Got Tonight" – 4:13
"Bye Bye Love" – 4:14
"Moving in Stereo" (Greg Hawkes, Ocasek; Copyright Lido Music & Oversnare Music) – 4:41
"All Mixed Up" – 4:14

Some Kick Ass Tunes for a Kick Ass Wednesday ride to work........

Yea Baby!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Attachments

• bcc.jpg
    bcc.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 681
^--- Yeah I still listen to that one regularly. Good stuff.

8583443.jpg

"2011 collaboration between Los Angeles based singer/songwriter Beth Hart and Blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa. Produced by Kevin Shirley (Joe Bonamassa, Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes), the album features Hart's interpretations of 10 soulful Blues songs, with Bonamassa on guitar and his ace band filling out the tracks. Beth collaborated with Bonamassa and Shirley on choosing songs, and the final set list features numbers made famous by artists including Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, Bill Withers, Ray Charles, Delaney & Bonnie, Tom Waits, Etta James and others."

.. .. .. :handgestures-thumbup:

51Smk3DIcZL.jpg

Nocturnes & Serenades -- CD

Scott Hamilton

2006 Concord Jazz

The black-and-white cover photo of a neon-lit street harks back to an earlier era on Scott Hamilton's Nocturnes & Serenades. Depending on the viewer, it may conjure up images of the jazz clubs lining the street in 1940s New York, or perhaps classic film noir. Either way, the photo and title promise the kind of lazy, romantic jazz that pours from tiny, smoke-filled rooms at three a.m. to an audience of three. This isn't surprising, due to tenor Hamilton's rep as a committed neo-traditionalist. The 55-minute set kicks off with a fine, relaxed take on "Man with a Horn," with Hamilton's resonant, silky sax work outlining the contours of the piece. Hamilton is joined on Nocturnes & Serenades by pianist John Pearce, bassist Dave Green, and drummer Steve Brown. Pearce and Hamilton's gentle styles mingle well on "Man with a Horn" and on the follow-up, "Autumn Nocturne," while Green and Brown anchor the mellow pacing. With perhaps one exception ("By the River Sainte Marie"), Hamilton and his bandmates maintain a dreamy, late-night groove. Save for the recording technology, this could've been recorded in the '40s, and mainstream jazz fans, well aware of Hamilton's work, will appreciate Nocturnes & Serenades' connection with the past. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing
1. Man With a Horn
2. Autumn Nocturne
3. Flamingo
4. I'm Glad There Is You
5. Serenade in Blue
6. Isn't It a Pity
7. You Go to My Head
8. Chelsea Bridge
9. By the River Sainte-Marie
10. A Portrait of Jenny

Personnel: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); John Pearce (piano); Dave Green (acoustic bass); Steve Brown (drums).

Zing said:
DENNIE! You secretive SOB! When did you get the new toys?!?!?!

......... :laughing-rolling:

Not that secretive. LOL I added them to my tag line.

I've had the Oppo and Samsung Smart TV for about three weeks now.

My Integra Universal player has been getting buggy and my thinking was, if I put a $2500 DVD player in the shop, it's going to cost me probably $500+ or more to get it fixed. So I started looking around and the Oppo 105 seemed like it couldn't be beat for the money and if I'm going to go Blu, I might as well get the Darbee edition. :happy-smileygiantred:

Then I started thinking about my 12 year old CRT TV and Blu-Ray's, so off to Best Buy I went and came home with the Samsung 60" 3D Smart TV for $1800. It is an amazing TV and I love the second "mouse" remote. A nice feature.

What I didn't expect was that 3D would be so amazing. Avatar in 3D was pretty F-ing incredible!!! I watched part of it again in 2D and it seemed like a completely different movie. I now have 6 pair of Active 3D glasses and the Grandkids come over and are just thrilled to watch "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" or "Rio" or whatever in 3D and I am having a ball watching with them.

The Oppo is one nice piece of gear. It plays just about everything on a 5" disc and sounds absolutely amazing.

I hope I'm good for another 10 years or so. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Dennie :dance:

Back