• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51jgA8cXxWL.jpg

Zoot! -- Remastered CD

Zoot Sims

1956/2013 Riverside/Real Gone Records

Absolutely Delightful From Start To Finish! August 12, 2008
By Donnie The B
Format:Audio CD

This album is a complete delight. George Handy's arrangements give the tunes a structure that is somtimes lacking in Zoot's records. The ensemble playing from the two horns just flat works great. If you dig small group cool jazz, you'll love the sound here.

Zoot Sims was such a great improviser that producers occasionally would ask Zoot to get a group into the studio and just blow! That has a charm as well, and produced some of the most memorable sax solos ever recorded, but these well thought-out arrangements make this album a totally listenable experience from start to finish. And the charts certainly don't inhibit Zoot's creativity. He swings hard as usual. And he never plays an inappropriate phrase!

Nick Travis on trumpet (another Woody Herman alum) keeps up with Zoot quite well in the improvisation department, although his chops weren't the best here. He splatters some notes here and there. But Miles did too! George Handy contributes some nice fills and solos on piano while Ossie Johnson on drums and Wilbur Ware on bass make you wonder why they aren't better known. Zoot's soaring alto work is featured on a couple of the cuts, while his better known tenor is used on the balance.

This album was originally a Riverside label release, recorded in late 1956. Fantasy/Original Jazz Classics reissued the album on LP in the early 1980's and on CD some years later. The sound is good on any of these. If you're new to Zoot Sims, one of the very best jazz saxophonists of all time, this would be a great place to start or continue your appreciation of his talent. There's no waste here - an easy 5 star rating!

Track Listing
1. 9:20 Special
2. The Man I Love
3. 55th Street
4. The Blue Room
5. Gus's Blues
6. That Old Feeling
7. Bohemia After Dark
8. Woody'n You

51nCuGwdpoL.jpg

On Fire -- CD

Michel Camilo

1989 EPIC Records

Pianist Michel Camilo's sophomore release for Epic records is the aptly titled ON FIRE. This brisk set of mostly Camilo originals sheds a good deal of light on the unique musical spirit of this dynamic artist. Showcasing his bristling enthusiasm, relentless chops and highly-developed musical intuition, Camilo masterfully commands a host of contemporary heavyweights including Dave Weckl and Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums), Marc Johnson and Michael Bowie (bass) and percussion master Sammy Figueroa.The Caribbean funk of "Island Stomp" opens the set with a smile that shines through Camilo's rhythmic keyboard work. Likewise, the intricate Latin rhythms and modern swing of "Uptown Manhattan" attest to the pianist's connection to the New York music scene. As with most Camilo discs an installment of the continuing "Suite Sandrine" is included in the form of the delicate "Friends (Interlude II)." The most unique track, however, comes with "Hands & Feet," a delightful duet between Camilo's nimble hands and the furious feet of flamenco dancer Raul. Finally, a swinging reading of the standard "Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise" is a mellow change of pace before the monstrous, true-to-its-name title track which closes out the set.

Track Listing
1. Island Stomp
2. If You Knew...
3. Uptown Manhattan
4. Friends: Interlude II / Suite Sandrine
5. Hands & Feet
6. This Way Out
7. In Love
8. And Sammy Walked In
9. As in a Morning Sunrise Softly
10. On Fire

Today's work truck music...

513KSYbClSL._SS500_.jpg

Irreplaceable -- CD

George Benson

2004 GRP Records

Thank God I Have My Own Mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!, June 16, 2004
By Raider Jack "Jackie D Gray-Romeyn" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Irreplaceable (Audio CD)

The latest effort by George Benson is a welcome addition after too long an absence. I am so glad I decided not to rely solely on the reviews of others. I actually cannot imagine what was expected here. This is vintage George Benson - tight vocals (and sterling additional vocals from some female vocalists who, while are unkown to me right now, certainly will not stay that way), excellent guitar work, smooth senusal mood, in other words, vintage George Benson.

George Benson has been blending jazz and R&B for decades. When I think hip-hop, I think R&B vocals with additional rap - that is not the case here, thank god....just good singing and excellent playing. If you are a real George Benson fan, you will not be disappointed in the least. His version of Luther's "Take You Out" is festive and while he could certainly have handled vocal chores here, he wisely decided not to but instead transformed this into a wonderful instrumental.

From the sound of some reviewers, it appears this is a futile attempt at meshing hip-hop and jazz...I submit these listeners have not been listening to George since "This Masquerade." If they had, they would have known that there is no departure whatsoever from the formula that brought George to national prominence. But everyone has the right to their opinion. That being said, you should rely totally on your own tastes.

This is quite simply an excellent project and well worth the wait. In my humble estimation, Mr. Benson has not sacrificed his art one iota and presents a clean, fresh, long-overdue smooth jazz project that will be a worthy addition to any smooth jazz collection.

1. Six Play
2. Whole Man
3. Irreplaceable
4. Loving Is Better Than Leaving
5. Strings Of Love
6. Cell Phone
7. Black Rose
8. Stairway To Love
9. Reason For Breathing
10. Missing You

Today's work truck music....

51YZEST0T2L._SS500_.jpg

Time Passages -- Remastered CD

Al Stewart

1978/2000 Arista Records

MR. ALAN PARSONS, PLEASE STEP FORWARD AND TAKE A BOW..., June 7, 2005
By Wayne Racine (Ottawa ON) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Time Passages (Audio CD)

Sigh... if only Al Stewart and Alan Parsons were working together again - they were perfect musical soulmates not unlike Lennon/McCartney. When you get right down to it, Al is really a folkie troubadour; as such, I'm convinced that these tunes wouldn't be anywhere near as fleshed out if it weren't for Alan Parsons' musical guidance and sound expertise - and the end result is a sonic masterpiece. If you were to get only two Al Stewart CDs, it would have to be the ones where AP was working the soundboard - "Year Of The Cat" and this one. Highly recommended.

1. Time Passages
2. Valentina Way
3. Life in Dark Water
4. Man for All Seasons
5. Almost Lucy
6. Palace of Versailles
7. Timeless Skies
8. Song on the Radio
9. End of the Day

^ Hey Dennie, I love Year of the Cat, is this one really that good? Thanks and Happy 4th! heeman

MOBGCD771-Large_zps31c99a58.jpg

Tigerlily -- 24k Gold OMR CD

Natalie Merchant

1995/2007 MFSL #2663

On Tigerlily, Natalie Merchant's warm, mellow voice, and mesmerizing yet gracefully understated musical textures are sure to please even the most discerning and contemplative music listeners. Stand out tracks include the radio hits "Wonder" and "Jealousy," which have a similar sonic signature to the unique folk rock mastery of 10,000 Maniacs and "River" an absolutely touching tribute to the late River Phoenix. Mobile Fidelity's heralded GAIN 2 mastering technique has extracted every tender nuance and note from this enduring 90's classic.

Selections:
1. San Andreas Fault
2. Wonder
3. Beloved Wife
4. River
5. Carnival
6. I May Know The Word
7. The Letter
8. Cowboy Romance
9. Jealousy
10. Where I Go
11. Seven Years

heeman said:
^ Hey Dennie, I love Year of the Cat, is this one really that good? Thanks and Happy 4th! heeman

Yes, get it if you come across it. Happy 4th to you my friend! :text-welcomeconfetti:

Dennie

51KIkG5VRwL.jpg

Pirates -- OMR SACD

Rickie Lee Jones

1981/2009 Warner Bros./MFSL Records #4521

After her acclaimed self-titled debut in 1979, Rickie Lee Jones' follow-up plans were wildly anticipated. Finally, in 1981, again working with co-producers Russ Titelman and Lenny Waronker, the singer definitely was into exploring new territory. Impeccably recorded as usual, studio giants and stars such as Randy Brecker, Donald Fagen, Steve Gadd, Steve Lukather, Tom Scott, Chuck Rainey and Victor Feldman plus legendary jazz arranger Ralph Burns of J.A.T.P. fame, help frame the singer's new direction. The masterpiece of the set may be "Traces of the Western Slopes", an eight minute short story with Steely Dan-ish overtones. Pirates may not be as much fun or upbeat as her debut; it's much more complex and overly sad, and yet very satisfying. Retaining her quirky phrasing while honing distinctive songwriting skills, this sophomore effort, alongside her debut and the future Flying Cowboys, are her three best albums to date, hands down.

"Jones as usual, assembled an all-star supporting cast including the likes of Tom Scott, David Sanborn, Donald Fagen and Randy Brecker. In contrast to today's albums with 16 tracks and 2 listenable songs, Pirates has eight outstanding songs with the likes of "We Belong Together, Living it Up, Lucky Guy, Pirates and Skeletons." - Myles B. Astor, Positive-Feedback.com, Issue 49

Selections:
1. We Belong Together
2. Living It Up
3. Skeletons
4. Woody and Dutch on the Slow Train to Peking
5. Pirates (So Long Lonely Avenue)
6. A Lucky Guy
7. Traces of the Western Slopes
8. The Returns

519i75XfTVL.jpg

Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers -- SACD

1990/2003 Pablo/Concord Records

Along with his album with Count Basie (Basie and Zoot) during the same period, this is one of Sims' most exciting recordings of his career. Greatly assisted by pianist Oscar Peterson, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist George Mraz, and drummer Grady Tate, he explores ten songs written by George and Ira Gershwin. Somehow the magic was definitely present and, whether it be stomps such as "The Man I Love," "Lady Be Good," and "I Got Rhythm" or warm ballads (including "I've Got a Crush on You" and "Embraceable You"), Zoot Sims is heard at the peak of his powers. A true gem. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. The Man I Love
2. How Long Has This Been Going On?
3. Lady Be Good Oh
4. I've Got a Crush on You
5. I Got Rhythm
6. Embraceable You
7. 'S Wonderful
8. Someone to Watch over Me
9. Isn't It a Pity?
10. Summertime
11. They Can't Take That Away from Me

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Joe Pass (guitar); George Mraz (acoustic bass); Grady Tate (drums).Originally released on Pablo (2310-744).

51z2Qg0PZ%2BL._SS400_.jpg

Stardust - The Music of Hoagy Carmichael -- SACD

Bill Charlap

2002/2003 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

With his elegant lyric sensibility and use of classic harmonics, which might best be characterized as equal parts Hank Jones and Bill Evans, pianist Bill Charlap manages to suggest something at once timeless and modern in his approach to jazz piano. And while references to past and present masters of the keyboard abound in this recital of Hoagy Carmichael compositions (as in his tasty appropriation of Evans's tolling intro to "Some Other Time" on a poignant reading of "The Nearness of You," or his interpolation of Red Garland's "Billy Boy" as a prelude to "I Walk with Music"), Charlap manages to evoke the dreamy, unhurried character redolent of so much of Carmichael's music, while maintaining his own probing, crystalline presence. Thus, while a briskly swinging jaunt through "Jubilee" finds him navigating an equestrian set of changes in a round-robin romp with his exceptionally empathetic rhythm mates (bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington), his sultry flirting with tenorist Frank Wess on "Blue Orchids" and his lofty harmonic byplay with guitarist Jim Hall reveal a musician wise beyond his years--restrained and relaxed and confident enough not to hide behind a fusillade of empty notes. Such maturity is part of what makes his storytelling accompaniments behind master vocalists Tony Bennett and Shirley Horn--and a breathtakingly slow, humid trio treatment of "Georgia"--so richly rewarding. --Chip Stern

1. Jubilee
2. I Get Along Without You Very Well
3. Rockin' Chair
4. I Walk With Music
5. Two Sleepy People
6. Nearness Of You
7. One Morning In May
8. Blue Orchids
9. Georgia On My Mind
10. Stardust
11. Skylark

510H-X23H6L.jpg

Jazz In The Key Of Blue -- SACD

Jimmy Cobb Quartet

2009 Chesky Records

The veteran drummer Jimmy Cobb is partnered by trumpeter Roy Hargrove, guitarist Russell Malone and bassist John Webber for this collection of warm, laidback standards.

A superb, mostly self-taught musician, Jimmy Cobb is the elder statesman of all the incredible Miles David bands. Cobb's inspirational work with Miles, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley and co. spanned 1957 until 1963 and included the masterpiece Kind Of Blue, the most popular jazz recording in history.

This studio recording features the famous drummer with a mellow group that features mesmerizing interplay between Hargrove's spaciously-blown lines, and Malone's slow-burning and chromatic sounds. The programme is mostly ballads including classics such as "Emily", "Stairway To The Stars", "I Had The Craziest Dream", "Remembering U", "If Ever I Would Leave You", and "With You I'm Born Again".

Selections:
1. Every Time We Say Goodbye
2. With You I'm Born Again
3. I'll Still Be In Love With You
4. Emily
5. Stairway To the Stars
6. I Had the Craziest Dream
7. Remembering U
8. What Will I Do
9. If Ever I Would Leave You
10. We'll Be Together Again

Musicians:
Jimmy Cobb, drums
Roy Hargrove, trumpet, fluegelhorn
Russell Malone, guitar
John Webber, bass

51Vauj2z%2BvL.jpg

4 Generations of Miles -- SACD

George Coleman - Mike Stern - Ron Carter - Jimmy Cobb

2002 Chesky Records

Four Generations of Miles is an unusual tribute to Miles Davis, featuring a quartet made up of alumni from four different editions of the trumpeter's bands, while omitting keyboards and trumpet entirely. Drummer Jimmy Cobb, tenor saxophonist George Coleman, bassist Ron Carter, and guitarist Mike Stern concentrate almost exclusively on the 1950s repertoire of Davis, excepting Ron Carter's somewhat abstract, R&B-flavored "81," which is from the mid-'60s. Stern's sparse accompaniment for Coleman in "All Blues" works surprising well in place of a piano, while the percolating take of "On Green Dolphin Street" will get a listener's feet patting. Coleman's soulful playing is the centerpiece of a lush treatment of "Blue in Green." Carter and Cobb provide a superb foundation for the soloists throughout this live recording. The creativity and musicianship throughout this excellent tribute make it stand head and shoulders above most such efforts.

This disc contains three separate versions of the same musical program:

• Direct Stream Digital™ Multi-Channel Suround Sound

• Direct Stream Digital™ 2-Channel Stereo

• CD Standard Stereo

1. There Is No Greater Love

2. All Blues

3. On Green Dolphin Street

4. Blue in Green

5. 81

6. Freddie Freeloader

7. My Funny Valentine

8. If I Were a Bell

9. Oleo

Musicians: Jimmy Cobb, drums; George Coleman, tenor saxophonist; Ron Carter, bass; Mike Stern, guitar.

_32_zps19082613.jpg

Brilliant Corners -- SACD

Thelonious Monk

1957/2004 Riverside Records

By the fall of 1956, Riverside was finally primed to unleash Thelonious Monk upon the jazz world--straight, no chaser. Two superb piano trio albums of covers had set the stage for Monk the composer to re-emerge with horns, and the pianist responded with BRILLIANT CORNERS, one of his greatest recordings, featuring three classic new tunes and two formidable studio bands.The Sonny Rollins featured on BRILLIANT CORNERS is a far more imposing presence than the young acolyte of previous Monk sessions--just witness the title tune. With its multiple themes, quirky intervallic leaps, idiomatic rhythmic changes and tricky transitions in tempo, it is one of Monk's masterpieces--a miniature symphony. So daunting were its technical challenges, that the final ending was edited on from another take. Rollins begins his solo with swaggering composure, boldly paraphrasing Monk's vinegary intervals and trademark trills, before navigating the swift rapids of the double-time chorus with deft syncopations. Monk plies dissonance upon dissonance in his first chorus, playing rhythmic tag with Max Roach on the out chorus. Ernie Henry's slip-sliding bluesiness is followed by a brilliant rhythmic edifice from Roach, who maintains melodic coherence at a drowsy tempo, then explodes into the final chorus.Elsewhere, "Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are" is a soulful, easygoing blues, and Monk's solo is a compendium of pithy rhythmic devices, bent notes and calculated melodic abstractions, played with enormous relaxation and swing. He concludes with heckling big-band figures that form the basis for Rollins' expressive rhythmic testimonies. Monk employs the bell-like timbre of a celeste to stunning effect on "Pannonica," one of his loveliest melodies and improvisations. And in closing, "Bemsha Swing" is a hard-swinging, conversational performance, with fine contributions from trumpeter Clark Terry, bassist Paul Chambers and Roach on drums and timpani.

Track Listing
1. Brilliant Corners
2. Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are
3. Pannonica
4. Dear I Surrender
5. Bemsha Swing

Personnel: Thelonious Monk (piano, celeste); Ernie Henry (alto saxophone); Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry (trumpet); Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers (bass); Max Roach (drums, tympani).Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York, New York in December 1956. Originally released on Riverside (226). Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1987, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California) Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.This is a hybrid Super Audio CD playable on both regular & Super Audio CD players.

:flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa:
513D9Vbd5zL.jpg

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

51eilpk24nL.jpg

The Concord Jazz Heritage Series -- CD

The L.A. 4

1998 Concord Records

Back in the mid-'50s, altoist-flutist Bud Shank and acoustic guitarist Laurindo Almeida collaborated and recorded music that anticipated bossa nova. In the early '70s, they came back together as co-leaders of the L.A. Four, a group also including bassist Ray Brown and drummer Shelly Manne. After two albums, Jeff Hamilton succeeded Manne. The L.A. Four's eight Concord albums are all represented on this 1998 retrospective, which has 11 selections in all. The music ranges from light Brazilian jazz and ballads to a couple of swingers; highlights include "Carioca Hills," "Rado's Got the Blues," "Carinhoso," and "I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart." This was a near-classic band, and its overview is satisfying. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Carioca Hills - (live)
2. Rondo Expressivo
3. Watch What Happens
4. Hammertones - (live)
5. You Can't Go Home Again
6. Rado's Got the Blues
7. My Funny Valentine
8. Carinhoso
9. Cielo - (live)
10. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart - (live)
11. Syrinx

This is part of Concord Jazz's Concord Jazz Heritage Series.Personnel: Laurindo Almeida (guitar); Bud Shank (flute, alto saxophone); Jeff Hamilton , Shelly Manne (drums).Audio Mixer: Phil Edwards .Recording information: Concord Boulevard Park, Concord, CA (07/1974-06/1982); Spectrum Studios, Venice, CA (07/1974-06/1982); Sunwest Recording Studios Inc., Hollywood, CA (07/1974-06/1982).Photographer: Bruce Burr.

51hXfYWEAdL._SS500_.jpg

Getz/Gilberto -- SACD

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto with Antinio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto

1964/2002 Verve Records

One of the biggest-selling jazz albums of all time, not to mention bossa nova's finest moment, Getz/Gilberto trumped Jazz Samba by bringing two of bossa nova's greatest innovators -- guitarist/singer Joao Gilberto and composer/pianist Antonio Carlos Jobim -- to New York to record with Stan Getz. The results were magic. Ever since Jazz Samba, the jazz marketplace had been flooded with bossa nova albums, and the overexposure was beginning to make the music seem like a fad. Getz/Gilberto made bossa nova a permanent part of the jazz landscape not just with its unassailable beauty, but with one of the biggest smash hit singles in jazz history -- "The Girl from Ipanema," a Jobim classic sung by Joao's wife, Astrud Gilberto, who had never performed outside of her own home prior to the recording session. Beyond that, most of the Jobim songs recorded here also became standards of the genre: "Corcovado" (which featured another vocal by Astrud), "So Danço Samba," "O Grande Amor," and a new version of "Desafinado." With such uniformly brilliant material, it's no wonder the album was such a success but, even apart from that, the musicians all play with an effortless grace that's arguably the fullest expression of bossa nova's dreamy romanticism ever brought to American listeners. Getz himself has never been more lyrical, and Gilberto and Jobim pull off the harmonic and rhythmic sophistication of the songs with a warm, relaxed charm. This music has nearly universal appeal; it's one of those rare jazz records about which the purist elite and the buying public are in total agreement. Beyond essential. [This edition of the album is presented in SACD format.] ~ Steve Huey

1. "The Girl from Ipanema" Antônio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes, Norman Gimbel 5:24
2. "Doralice" Dorival Caymmi, Antonio Almeida 2:46
3. "Pra machucar meu coração" Ary Barroso 5:05
4. "Desafinado" Jobim, Newton Mendonça 4:15
5. "Corcovado" Jobim, Gene Lees 4:16
6. "Só danço samba" Jobim, de Moraes 3:45
7. "O grande amor" Jobim, de Moraes 5:27
8. "Vivo sonhando" Jobim 3:04
9. "The Girl from Ipanema" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, de Moraes, Gimbel 2:54
10. "Corcovado" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, Lees 2:20

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Joao Gilberto (vocals, guitar); Astrud Gilberto (vocals); Antonio Carlos Jobim (piano); Milton Banana (drums).

Back