• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

81XHDSwRxXL_zps4a794ea0.jpg

Fast Train To A Quiet Place -- CD

Brian Hughes

2011 Sylvan House Music

All aboard the FAST TRAIN TO A QUIET PLACE... the mesmerizing new album from one of our all time favorite contemporary guitarists, Canada's Brian Hughes. He's always had a masterful way of writing expansive yet accessible songs, garnering a tremendous amount of radio airplay over the years while equally being acclaimed for his 22 years of performing and recording with world renown vocalist Loreena McKenntt. This seductive, highly anticipated new release features ten new, cinematic selections showcasing Brian on electric and acoustic guitars, electric sitar, Celtic bouzouki, guitar synth and electric bass. His first studio album since 2003, this is unquestionably Hughes at his best and most creative. The fast train whirs with rhythm and speed, covering exciting musical ground influenced by Bossa Nova, Rock, Latin, Blues and Gospel. While the quiet place is enchanting, dabbling in acoustic, exotic instrumentation such as Flamenco and East Indian. Grab a ticket, get on board! SmoothJazz.com Review

Track Listing
1. Fast Train
2. A Blanket of Stars
3. Would You Like Fries With That My Dear?
4. You & I
5. Gotcha!
6. Super Tight
7. Caf‚ Sin Nombre
8. The Gift
9. To a Quiet Place
10. Hallelujah

Personnel: Brian Hughes (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric sitar); Matt Rohde (piano, Fender Rhodes piano, Hammond b-3 organ, keyboards); Rufus Philpot (electric bass); Tal Bergman (drums).Audio Mixer: Yossi Shakked.Recording information: Almond Alley Studio, Altadena, CA; Kitchen Sync Studio, Hermosa Beach, CA; Lion Share Studio A, Los Angeles, CA.Photographer: Pamela .

61B6WqpGcmL.jpg

Johnny Hodges, Soloist -- Remastered 24bit CD

Billy Strayhorn and THE Orchestra

1962/1999 Verve Master Edition

A rare look at Hodges and Strayhorn without Ellington April 27, 1999
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

This disc which is the result of a session in 1961 that features Johhny Hodges on alto sax with Billy Strayhorn as the band leader. Detail of the session is related in Lush Life the biographpy of Billy Strayhorn (pg 217). Briefly, Strayhorn was given free rein in providing new arrangments of songs by Ellington, Hodges and himself. In the 30 plus years they worked together Strayhorn used the Ellington orchestra to feature Hodges. However, this disc really puts Hodges in the forefront of the orchestra and the results are tremendous. Hodges, under Strayhorns direction gives top notch redendtions of 2 of the greatest songs they did together, Day Dream and I Got It Bad. I haven't stopped playing this disc, comparing the arrangements by Strayhorn and playing by Hodges against other Ellington discs. Another one you may want to try is "And His Mother Called Him Bill" which I think is Hodges greatest performance. Oh by the way, Happy 100th Birthday Duke (April 29th) We love you madly!

Track Listing
1. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
2. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
3. The Gal from Joe's
4. Your Love Has Faded
5. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
6. Jeep's Blues
7. Day Dream
8. Juice A-Plenty
9. Azure
10. Tailor Made
11. Stardust

Personnel: Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Billy Strayhorn (conductor); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Jimmy Hamilton (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone, bass clarinet); Cat Anderson, Shorty Baker, Bill Berry, Ed Mullens, Howard McGhee (trumpet); Lawrence Brown, Quentin Jackson (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Jimmy Jones (piano); Aaron Bell (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).Producer: Creed Taylor.Reissue producer: Ben Young.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey in December 1961. Originally issued on Verve (8452). Includes liner notes by Loren Schoenberg and Stanley Dance.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Kevin Reeves (Polygram Studios).This is part of the Verve Records Master Edition series

f858c060ada0ea060e8f9110.L.jpg

Ella At Duke's Place -- Remastered CD

Ella Fitzgerald & Duke Ellington

1965/1996 Verve Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Ella Fitzgerald made some of her greatest recordings with Duke Ellington and his band, including the extensive three-CD Ellington Songbook and the eight-CD Cote d'Azur Concerts. This session from 1965 is an excellent place to begin listening to the relationship, a self-contained set that joins Fitzgerald with the Duke and his still-great band. The brilliance of Fitzgerald's voice is apparent even when placed amid such great Ellingtonians as altoist Johnny Hodges and trumpeters Cootie Williams and Cat Anderson. She and Hodges are perfectly matched on subtle Billy Strayhorn tunes like "A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing" and "Passion Flower." --Stuart Broomer

For the 1965 Verve LP album, Verve V6-4070; re-issued by PolyGram-Verve on Cd in 1996: Verve-PolyGram 529 700-2.

Side One:

"Something to Live For" (Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn) – 3:35
"A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing" (aka "Passion") (Strayhorn) – 5:00
"Passion Flower" (Strayhorn) – 4:39
"I Like the Sunrise" – 3:26
"Azure" (Irving Mills) – 6:48

Side Two:

"Imagine My Frustration" (Strayhorn, Gerald Stanley Wilson) – 4:49
"Duke's Place" (aka "C Jam Blues") (Bill Katz, Ruth Roberts, Bob Thiele) – 4:13
"Brown-skin Gal (in the Calico Gown)" (Paul Francis Webster) – 5:05
"What Am I Here For?" (Frankie Laine) – 5:35
"Cotton Tail" – 3:41

All songs composed by Duke Ellington, with the exception of "A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing" and "Passion Flower". Lyricists indicated.

I just did another "Dennie" thang! :happy-smileygiantred:

Good glory & bless you, Dennie! There IS a lot more to searching out all of the information up, versus just googling the CD pic!!!

It was worth it for this...one of Elton's best! :music-rockout: My favorite on this is #3...The Greatest Discovery. Zing & I heard it LIVE, many years ago. Such a special moment!

3911360.jpg

MCA Records ‎– MCAD-8022
Format:
CD, Album
US
Released:
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Pop Rock
Tracklist
1 Sixty Years On 5:06
2 I Need You To Turn To 2:34
3 The Greatest Discovery 3:48
4 Tonight 7:26
5 Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word 3:30
6 The King Must Die 4:58
7 Take Me To The Pilot 3:54
8 Tiny Dancer 6:06
9 Have Mercy On The Criminal 5:28
10 Madman AcrossThe Water 6:20
11 Candle In The Wind 3:46
12 Burn Down The Mission 5:26
13 Your Song 3:48
14 Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me 5:28
Credits
Arranged By [Original Arrangements] – Paul Buckmaster
Art Direction, Design – David Costa
Conductor – James Newton Howard
Engineer [Band Recording] – Clive Franks
Management – John Reid (8)
Orchestra – Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Orchestrated By – Brad Dechter, James Newton Howard
Photography [Cover Photo] – Gered Mankowitz
Producer – Gus Dudgeon
Recorded By [Orchestra Recording] – Gus Dudgeon
Written-By – Elton John And Bernie Taupin

Babs said:
I just did another "Dennie" thang! :happy-smileygiantred:

Good glory & bless you, Dennie! There IS a lot more to searching out all of the information up, versus just googling the CD pic!!!

It was worth it for this...one of Elton's best! :music-rockout: My favorite on this is #3...The Greatest Discovery. Zing & I heard it LIVE, many years ago. Such a special moment!

3911360.jpg

MCA Records ‎– MCAD-8022
Format:
CD, Album
US
Released:
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Pop Rock
Tracklist
1 Sixty Years On 5:06
2 I Need You To Turn To 2:34
3 The Greatest Discovery 3:48
4 Tonight 7:26
5 Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word 3:30
6 The King Must Die 4:58
7 Take Me To The Pilot 3:54
8 Tiny Dancer 6:06
9 Have Mercy On The Criminal 5:28
10 Madman AcrossThe Water 6:20
11 Candle In The Wind 3:46
12 Burn Down The Mission 5:26
13 Your Song 3:48
14 Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me 5:28
Credits
Arranged By [Original Arrangements] – Paul Buckmaster
Art Direction, Design – David Costa
Conductor – James Newton Howard
Engineer [Band Recording] – Clive Franks
Management – John Reid (8)
Orchestra – Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Orchestrated By – Brad Dechter, James Newton Howard
Photography [Cover Photo] – Gered Mankowitz
Producer – Gus Dudgeon
Recorded By [Orchestra Recording] – Gus Dudgeon
Written-By – Elton John And Bernie Taupin

....... :bow-blue:

Thank you Babs, it IS work, but I usually learn something or find something else that I didn't know existed and then search that out.

Fun, most of the time, but it is still work.
yes.gif

I do have that CD and enjoy it very much. I'll have to give it a spin soon.

Thanks for the reminder and the info. ;)

Dennie.... :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

The song "Way Down Deep" is a system "show off" track for sure.....

6116d627-2163-4098-aa9f-4f18bb806d8f_zps910cc012.jpg

The Hunter -- K2 Super Encoding XRCD24

Jennifer Warnes

1992 Private/Jasrac (Import Japan)

The follow-up to Jennifer Warnes' well received Leonard Cohen covers album, Famous Blue Raincoat, The Hunter finds Warnes applying her velvety voice to tunes by everyone from Todd Rundgren ("Pretending to Care") to the Waterboys ("The Whole of the Moon"). Cohen himself lends a hand too, co-writing "Way Down Deep." While Warnes began her career as a straight-ahead pop singer, she stretches her sound out on The Hunter to accommodate ballads and more rock-oriented tracks with equal aplomb. It's miles away from her early-'80s pop success with "Up Where We Belong," and definitively confirms her status as a mature, sophisticated song stylist.

Album Tracks:
1. Rock You Gently
2. Somewhere, Somebody
3. Big Noise, New York
4. True Emotion
5. Pretending To Care
6. The Whole Of The Moon
7. Lights Of Lousianne
8. Way Down Deep
9. The Hunter
10. I Can't Hide

BillFrisellGoodDogHappyMan_zps323ea63d.jpg

Good Dog Happy Man -- CD

Bill Frisell

1999 Nonesuch Records

Bill Frisell is like a chef or an alchemist. He brings together the characteristics and properties of diverse players to make one unique amalgam. With GOOD DOG HAPPY MAN, Frisell seeks the common ground between such musicians as bluegrass bassist Viktor Krauss, erstwhile New York downtown jazzbo keyboardist Wayne Horvitz, blue country steel guitarist Greg Liesz, and journeyman rock drummer Jim Keltner. What these very different players have in common is the inability to fit into easily defined categories or molds. Similarly, Frisell's own musical voice draws from all corners of American tradition.GOOD DOG is an album steeped in locale. It exudes a sense of place. Frisell's compositions range from subtle groove frameworks ("Big Shoe") to fragile ballads ("Rain, Rain"). The lone cover, a traditional "Shenandoah," features guest guitarist Ry Cooder. This album falls beautifully between the earthiness of Frisell's NASHVILLE album and the spontaneous combustion of GONE, JUST LIKE A TRAIN.

Track Listing
1. Rain, Rain
2. Roscoe
3. Big Shoe
4. My Buffalo Girl
5. Shenandoah (for Johnny Smith)
6. Cadillac 1959
7. Pioneers, The
8. Cold Cold Ground
9. That Was Then
10. Monroe
11. Good Dog, Happy Man
12. Poem for Eva

Personnel: Bill Frisell (acoustic & electric guitars, loops, music box); Ry Cooder (electric & Ripley guitars); Greg Leisz (pedal steel, lap steel, National steel & Weissenborn guitars, mandolin, dobro); Wayne Horvitz (piano, organ, samples); Viktor Krauss (bass); Jim Keltner (drums, percussion).Recorded at O'Henry Sound Studios, Burbank, California

Today's work truck music....

51cyWWnZOGL.jpg

Freedom Highway -- Remastered CD

The Staple Singers

1991 Columbia/Legacy

In soulfulness, nuance, and the power and feeling in the performances, these classics equal anything else in the Staple catalogue.The vibe here is extremely laid back, with a weary-soul feel that brings to mind late-period Sly Stone. Pop Staples's groovy, slightly countrified guitar leads the family through soulful takes on favorites like "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and spirited numbers like the title track.The R&B and funk influences that would dominate the group's chart-busting Stax tenure in the 1970s are evident here, but feel even more incisive when paired with a sanctified message. Listeners searching for the Staple Singers' 1965 Epic release entitled FREEDOM HIGHWAY should be forewarned that the 1991 reissue on Legacy includes only two tracks from original LP (the rest are from Epic sessions from the same time period).

Track Listing
1. Will the Circle Be Unbroken
2. Move Along Train
3. Are You Sure
4. Wade in the Water
5. If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
6. Glory, Hallelujah! Glory
7. The Lord's Prayer
8. Jacob's Ladder
9. Why? (Am I Treated So Bad)
10. Praying Time
11. For What It's Worth
12. Hammer and Nails
13. Freedom Highway
14. What You Gonna Do?
15. Samson and Delilah
16. Nobody's Fault But Mine
17. Be Careful of Stones That You Throw
18. This Train

51gaZalMWOL.jpg

Greatest Hits: Songs From An Aging Sex Bomb -- CD

K.T. Oslin

1983 RCA/BMG Records

You'll find K.T. Oslin in the country section, but don't be fooled. This music is to country as Kenny G is to jazz -- a slicker, poppier variation on a familiar formula. And Kenny G's example to the contrary notwithstanding, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. Oslin's reedy alto doesn't have much of that mountain twang to it (her singing owes much more to Phoebe Snow than to Loretta Lynn, whether she knows it or not) and you're not going to hear any tearjerking steel guitar on this collection. But you will certainly hear lots of snappy pop music with good melodies and slick production. Country radio listeners will recognize staples like "Hold Me" and "80s Ladies," but if no one told you that "You Can't Do That" was a country song, you'd never guess. And who cares? This is great pop music, no matter what bin you find it in. ~ Rick Anderson

Track Listing
1. New Way Home
2. Hold Me
3. Feeding a Hungry Heart
4. 80's Ladies
5. Do Ya'
6. Come Next Monday
7. You Can't Do That
8. I'll Always Come Back
9. Hey Bobby
10. This Woman
11. Get Back in the Saddle

MI0002024081_zps7554a1a0.jpg

Paint Me On Velvet -- CD

Austin Lounge Lizards

1997 Flying Fish/Rounder Records

Since their formation in 1980, the Austin Lounge Lizards have entertained themselves and a lot of other people with their brand of music, which they call "satirical bluegrass." Actually, the listener can also hear strains of rock, soul, blues, and gospel in the music. The band is composed of Conrad Deisler on acoustic lead guitar, Hank Card on acoustic guitar, Tom Pittman on banjo and pedal steel guitar, Boo Resnick on bass, and Eamon McGloughlin on mandolin and fiddle. The fact that they are master musicians is often lost in the hilarity of their lyrics. Best known for their song "Jesus Loves Me (But He Can't Stand You)," the Austin Lounge Lizards poke fun at everything and everybody in modern American culture. Their humorous take on such an easy target has spawned an enthusiastic following of fans known as Lizard Heads. Paint Me on Velvet follows the Lizards' formula for success: great music and funny lyrics. There are rollicking banjos and hot fiddles and beautiful harmonies. It seems so comfortably bluegrass until your ears tune into the words. The CD's title track, "Paint Me on Velvet," is a case in point, as the Lizards make fun of the tacky, while at the same time parodying the icons and styles of the genre. No idol is too big to fall before the barbs of group's sharp pens and tongues: This song finds Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson on the hot seats. The title of "Put the Oak Ridge Boys in the Slammer" speaks for itself. "1984 Blues" shows just how good these musicians really are. Enigmatically, they then go off on a version of that long-forgotten song from the crypt, "The Purple People Eater." But then this group of former lawyers, doctors, and other ne're-do-wells is nothing if not enigmatic. Other standouts on the CD include "Going to Hell in Your Heavenly Arms," "Boudreaux Was a Nutcase," and "That Godforsaken Hellhole I Call Home." Having the musical knowledge to appreciate the group's inside jokes and puns increases the fun, but the music stands on its own, guaranteeing all listeners a good laugh along with an enjoyable musical experience. ~ Rose of Sharon Witmer

Track Listing
1. Boudreaux Was a Nutcase
2. Paint Me on Velvet
3. Little Fallen Angel
4. Put the Oak Ridge Boys in the Slammer
5. Going to Hell in Your Heavenly Arms
6. Grandpa's Hologram
7. Purple People Eater
8. 1984 Blues
9. Luster's Motel
10. The Three Sinners
11. That Godforsaken Hellhole I Call Home

Personnel: Conrad Deisler (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Tom Pittman (vocals, steel guitar, banjo); Richard Bowden (vocals, mandolin, fiddle); Hank Card (vocals, drums); Kirk Williams, Katy Moffatt (vocals); Lindsay Haisley (autoharp); Paul Pearcy (drums, percussion); Hugh Sparks (percussion, gong).Audio Mixers: Conrad Deisler; Larry Seyer; Austin Lounge Lizards.Recording information: Bismeaux Studios, Austin, TX; Flashpoint Recording, Austin, TX.Photographer: Guy Juke.Arranger: Austin Lounge Lizards.

51Ju3sH-D5L.jpg

Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws -- CD

Bruce Cockburn

1979 Columbia Records

After nearly a decade spent in relative obscurity outside of his native Canada, Bruce Cockburn finally made a dent in the US market with the Top 40 hit "Wondering Where the Lions Are" from 1979's Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws. The album continues the jazz-inflected folk he had been pursuing on his past several releases, but with a heavier emphasis on the worldbeat rhythms that would play a larger part in his music in the years to come. This album is the gentler side of Bruce Cockburn, beautiful and searching, with his acoustic guitar once again at the forefront; his intricate, yet melodic patterns the perfect backdrop for his poetic ruminations on spirituality and nature. From the opener, "Creation Dream," his vision of the Earth's genesis to the meditative "No Footprints" Cockburn is overcome by the wonderment of God's work. Even amidst the "concrete vortex" and "people looking ill-at-ease," there's a sense of peace and overwhelming faith that runs throughout. Only "Incandescent Blue" (coincidentally the only song written outside of Canada) exhibits the kind of urban tension and consciousness that would become so evident in his work throughout the next decade; although he still finds a sort of respite in the chorus with its "white birds...[soaring] away free." Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws, though it can't match the sheer power of his next few releases, may be his most beautiful record, as well as an excellent culmination of his '70s work. ~ Brett Hartenbach

Track Listing
1. Creation Dream
2. Hills of Morning
3. Badlands Flashback
4. Northern Lights
5. After the Rain
6. Wondering Where the Lions Are
7. Incandescent Blue
8. No Footprints

m1721.jpg

Cowboy Celtic -- CD

David Wilkie featuring The McDades

1996 Red House Records

Stands the test of time.

By James Hutchinson on December 1, 2001
Format: Audio CD

I've had this CD since it was released in 1996. I've listened to it on a regular basis ever since. Unlike many Celtic CD's which begin to grate on my nerves over time, this one still sounds fresh. Its mostly instrumental. I was familiar with all the songs previous to owning the CD and I enjoy hearing the variations on old favorites.
I rock my 20 month old son to sleep every night, and this has given me a chance to listen to my music collection as I rock--which I otherwise wouldn't have time for. My son seems to enjoy this music as much as I do.
I would say that this is closer to Bluegrass and Folk or even New Age than it is to Country or the Scotch/Irish ballad tradition. If you like early Clannad or Rare Air for example, I think you'd like this. But if you prefer the Chieftains, then maybe not.

1 The Trail to Mexico / in the Tap Room / the Bans..
2 Shenandoah
3 Little Joe, the Wrangler
4 The Lily of the West
5 Garry Owen / Custer Died a Runnin' / Off 'Til...
6 Lady in Green
7 The Colorado Trail
8 I'D Like to Be in Texas when They Round Up in...
9 Tempting the Salmon to Come to the Fly
10 Down by the Brazos
11 Goodby, Old Paint / Leavin' Cheyenne / the Straw..
12 The Gal Left Behind Me
13 Annie Laurie

Today's work truck music....

df655618050759d392969abbab369544_fu.jpg

Sapphire Blue -- CD

Larry Carlton

2003 Bluebird Records

A real treat for those seeking a "less smooth" Carlton, January 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sapphire Blue (Audio CD)

People who have listented to Carlton across the decades know that he's not a musician of limited range. I personally enjoy the Fourplay stuff as part of that range but my first question when I learned of his intention to release a blues album was "I wonder if he'll loosen up and let 'er rip" The answer: Yeah. Understand that this is not "Larry Carlton & Double Trouble," nor is it similar to his collaboration "No Substitutions" with Steve Lukather. It's not a Humble Pie CD. The album has a big band / swing blues feel on many tracks but the seriously nasty track...the one where he both plays AND sprays the notes...is the title track. It's eight minutes long and fulfills any "Carlton Plays The Blues" fantasies his fans might have. There are little touches of the "attitude" playing that graced so many of the classic Steely Dan tracks (and help build his legend). "Just An Excuse" is similar in spirit to many of Eric Clapton's slow and aggressive blues tracks, but he is NOT ripping EC off by any means. "Take Me Down," the album closer, prominently features Terry McMillan on harmonica and is the only track that never really catches fire...somewhat "Delta blues" but it never gets out of first gear. The CD is 48 minutes long, living up to the show business creed of "always leave 'em wanting more"...but 48 solid minutes from a master of the instrument like Carlton is absolutely worth the sticker price.

Track Listing
1. Friday Night Shuffle
2. Pair of Kings, A
3. Night Sweats
4. Sapphire Blue
5. 7 for You
6. Slightly Dirty
7. Just an Excuse
8. Take Me Down

Personnel: Larry Carlton (guitar); Mark Douthit (tenor saxophone); Jim Horn (baritone saxophone); Steve Patrick (trumpet); Chris Dunn (trombone); Terry McMillan (harmonica); Matt Rollings (Fender Rhodes); Reese Wynans (Hammond B-3 organ); Michael Rhodes (bass); Billy Kilson (drums); Eric Darken (percussion).Principally recorded at The Sound Kitchen and The Sound Shop, Nashville, Tennessee in 2003.

_57_zps2f3672de.jpg

Everything For Love -- CD

Chuck Mangione

2000 Chesky Records

Chuck Mangione, the famed flugelhornist and trumpeter fills his first recording of the 21st century with some wonderfully subdued love songs whose subtle, intimate qualities may surprise those of his fans who best know his boisterous pop hits. More than simply expressing a romantic boy-girl kind of love, Mangione is playing gentle, atmospheric jazz for a wide variety of special people, real and animated. And there is no doubt that the truest love here is that between the artist and some of his old bandmates; saxman Gerry Niewood played with Mangione from 1968 through the mid-'70s, while guitarist Grant Geissman (showing a rich, traditional jazz depth only hinted at on most of his smooth jazz efforts) and bassist Charles Meeks were there during Mangione's late '70s pop heyday. "Slo Ro," dedicated to Mangione's wife, is a moody reflection piece led by a drifting muted trumpet and the bluesy duality of Niewood's smoky tenor and Allen's keys. A seven-minute meditative version of "Amazing Grace" begins as a quiet, prayer-like duet between Mangione and Geissman, who switches partway through from the Wes sound to an electric rock axe for an edgy solo; then, Allen's organ solo takes this very spiritual rendition to church before Niewood chimes in with a sweet flute solo. Within each song, there are moments when Pellegrini's drums kick the softness up a few notches, and the peppery horn playing on "Fox Hunt" and the clapping percussion on the Latin-spiced "I Do Everything for Love" show a more playful side than Mangione displays elsewhere. Fans who know Mangione's whole career will see this as a fine addition to his jazz catalog; those who want more pop hits will be surprised at the low-key nature of the project. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track Listing
1. Peggy Hill
2. Slo Ro
3. Amazing Grace
4. Seoul Sister
5. Viola
6. Fox Hunt
7. Annalise
8. I Do Everything for Love
9. Papa Mangione
10. Freddie's Walkin'

Personnel: Chuck Mangione (trumpet, flugelhorn); Charles Meeks (vocals, electric bass); Gerry Niewood (soprano & tenor saxophones); Corey Allen, Tim Regusis (keyboards); Grant Geissman (acoustic & electric guitars); Darryl Pellegrini (drums); Paulette McWilliams, Cindy Mizelle (background vocals).Producers: David Chesky, Chuck Mangione, Joel Goodman.Recorded at St. Peter's Church, New York, New York from May 8-11, 2000. Includes liner notes by Chuck Mangione.

519i75XfTVL.jpg

Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers -- SACD

1990/2003 Pablo/Concord Records

Along with his album with Count Basie (Basie and Zoot) during the same period, this is one of Sims' most exciting recordings of his career. Greatly assisted by pianist Oscar Peterson, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist George Mraz, and drummer Grady Tate, he explores ten songs written by George and Ira Gershwin. Somehow the magic was definitely present and, whether it be stomps such as "The Man I Love," "Lady Be Good," and "I Got Rhythm" or warm ballads (including "I've Got a Crush on You" and "Embraceable You"), Zoot Sims is heard at the peak of his powers. A true gem. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. The Man I Love
2. How Long Has This Been Going On?
3. Lady Be Good Oh
4. I've Got a Crush on You
5. I Got Rhythm
6. Embraceable You
7. 'S Wonderful
8. Someone to Watch over Me
9. Isn't It a Pity?
10. Summertime
11. They Can't Take That Away from Me

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Joe Pass (guitar); George Mraz (acoustic bass); Grady Tate (drums).Originally released on Pablo (2310-744).

Holly20Cole20Trio-Don27t20Smoke20In.jpg

Don't Smoke In Bed -- CD

Holly Cole Trio

1993 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Holly Cole brings her own dimension to the tradition of cabaret, a strong voice that's still capable of nuance, an ear for quirky repertoire, and a light touch that keeps some of these performances floating just at the edge of irony. Her delivery of more traditional fare shines on Cole Porter's witty "Get Out of Town" and Kurt Weill's torchy "Je Ne T'aime Pas," while she brings clarity, power, and anthemic passion to the surprising treatment of Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now." Some of her inspirations are less successful, such as aiming for jazz depth on the lightweight pop of "Que Sera Sera," but Cole is never less than interesting. She's generally well supported in this intimate art by pianist Aaron Davis and bassist Davd Piltch, while there's sparing and effective use of strings. There are fine guest spots by tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, on "Everyday Will Be Like a Holiday," and David Lindley, whose steel guitar contributes to the strange country music of "Don't Let the Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart." --Adam Rains

"I Can See Clearly Now" (Johnny Nash) - 4:13
"Don't Let the Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart" (Watt) - 4:20
"Get Out of Town" (Porter) - 4:43
"So and So" (O'Hara) - 3:27
"The Tennessee Waltz" (King, Stewart) - 3:40
"Everyday Will Be Like a Holiday" (Bell, Jones) - 4:49
"Blame It on My Youth" (Edward Heyman, Oscar Levant) - 3:00
"Ev'rything I've Got" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rogers) - 2:55
"Je ne t'aime pas" (Weill, Magre) - 3:57
"Cry (If You Want To)" (Scott) - 2:37
"Que sera sera" (Ray Evans, Jay Livingston) - 4:44
"Don't Smoke in Bed" (Willard Robison) 2:27

Today's work truck music...

godwillin.jpg

God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise -- CD

Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs

2010 RCA Records

Grammy nominated and critically acclaimed, Ray LaMontagne returns with his anticipated fourth studio album, God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise. Entirely self produced (for the first time) the album was recorded in two weeks at LaMontagne's home in the woods of western Massachusetts. The newly restored historic home served as a homemade recording studio for Ray and his fellow musicians. With Ray's vocals at the forefront of the songs and a loose, almost live sounding recording, the album stands as a testament to a band at the height of their powers. The newly coined 'Pariah Dogs', consists of Jay Bellarose (drums), Jennifer Condos (bass), Patrick Warren (keyboard), Eric Heywood (guitar) and Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar). Individually these musicians have contributed to the live work of such heralded musicians including Beck, Joe Henry, Tom Waits, Lucinda Wlliams, Ryan Adams and Joe Cocker to name a few of their career highlights. Together with Ray they shared a sense that the sessions for this record were rare and extraordinary.

1. "Repo Man" 6:08
2. "New York City's Killing Me" 4:13
3. "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise" 3:10
4. "Beg Steal or Borrow" 4:32
5. "Are We Really Through" 4:59
6. "This Love Is Over" 3:30
7. "Old Before Your Time" 4:04
8. "For the Summer" 3:52
9. "Like Rock & Roll and Radio" 6:05
10. "Devil's in the Jukebox" 3:59

Back