• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Something that I just got turned on to, so I'm listening to them on Spotify...

511M2yok8rL._SY300_.jpg

And there is far too little rock and roll on the recent list... I'm going to have to class this place up a little bit. :music-rockout:

Today's work truck music...

19bc51c88da006493a72d110.L.jpg

Rock N Roll Jesus -- CD

Kid Rock

2007 Atlantic Records

Rock 'n Roll White Trash, but in a good way, August 26, 2008
By Dawn M. Raymond "Movie Maven" (Delaware County, PA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Rock n Roll Jesus (Audio CD)

This is the best of any Kid Rock cd I've bought. Ok, it's a little bit more on the "religious" side - if you can use the words "religion" and "Kid Rock" in the same sentence and not have a lightning bolt strike you dead. There are about 3 songs that are the reason the "Explicit Lyrics" sticker is on it. Only 1 almost made my ears bleed, but this ain't Helen Reddy. Another plus (or minus depending on how much you like Kid Rock) you can make out almost 100% of the words.

Do I recommend it? Yes.

1. "Rock N Roll Jesus" R.J. Ritchie, K. Tudrick, M. Young 4:29
2. "Amen" Ritchie 4:40
3. "All Summer Long" E. King, L. Marinell,R. Ritchie, G. Rossington, M. Shaffer, R. VanZant, R. Watchel, W. Zevon 4:56
4. "Roll On" Ritchie 6:11
5. "So Hott" Ritchie 4:07
6. "Sugar" B. Ervine, J. Krause, Ritchie, Shaffer, D. Simon, J. Smith, Young 3:44
7. "When You Love Someone" Ritchie, Shaffer, Young 5:40
8. "New Orleans" D.A. Coe, Ritchie 6:36
9. "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" Ritchie, Shaffer, Young 4:20
10. "Blue Jeans And a Rosary" Ritchie, Young 4:35
11. "Half Your Age" Ritchie 3:45
12. "Lowlife (Living the Highlife)" J. Eddie, Ritchie 4:04

61Rpm4HSooL._SY300_.jpg

1. (Da Le) Yaleo
2. Love Of My Life (Featuring Dave Matthews)
3. Put Your Lights On ( Featuring Everlast)
4. Africa Bamba
5. Smooth (Featuring Rob Thomas)
6. Do You Like The Way (Featuring Lauryn Hill & CEE LO)
7. Maria Maria (Featuring The Product G&B, Produced by Wyclef)
8. Migra
9. Corazon Espinado (Featuring Mana)
10. Wishing It Was (Featuring Eagle Eye Cherry)
11. El Farol
12. Primavera
13. The Calling (Featuring Eric Clapton)

61BNz4CYBNL._SY355_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

1. "Ultimate" 3:29
2. "Wonderlust King" 3:58
3. "Zina-Marina" 4:19
4. "Supertheory of Supereverything" 2:56
5. "Harem in Tuscany (Taranta)" 3:33
6. "Dub the Frequencies of Love" 6:15
7. "My Strange Uncles from Abroad" 5:19
8. "Tribal Connection" 5:05
9. "Forces of Victory" 5:23
10. "Alcohol" 4:54
11. "Suddenly... (I Miss Carpaty)" 5:36
12. "Your Country" 4:15
13. "American Wedding" 3:38
14. "Super Taranta!" 6:44

Gogol Bordello has been breaking down musical barriers since 1999 with a supercharged music based on a brutal gypsy two step rhythm that sounds like an Eastern European cousin of ska, augmented by punk, metal, rap, flamenco, roots reggae, Italian spaghetti western twang, dub, and other sounds generated by gypsies and rebels from across the globe. This is intense transglobal rebel rock, not light headed world fusion pop. It's about believing that music and art can transform negative energy to positive and inspire individual intelligence

51ZXzBAt7UL.jpg

The Feeling's Back -- Hybrid SACD

Chuck Mangione

1999/2004 Chesky Records

Chuck Mangione laid low throughout much of the '90s, perhaps the end result of a disappointing string of albums for Columbia during the '80s. He returned to the road in 1997 and evidently it was a positive experience, since he returned to the studio the following year to cut The Feeling's Back. For all intents and purposes, The Feeling's Back is a comeback album, finding Mangione returning to the smooth, melodic style of Feels So Good, but laying off the sappy pop tendencies that dogged his '80s efforts. Although the end result is a little monotonous -- many of the tracks are quiet and slowly swinging, blending together into one long track -- it's charmingly laid-back, mellow and melodic, all of the things that brought Mangione fame and fortune in the '70s. There isn't a whole lot in the way of "real" jazz here -- the solos are extensions of the themes, and they never stand apart from the lite groove -- but this has the "feeling" that Mangione fans have been waiting to feel again. And that's enough to make it a successful comeback. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Mountain Flight
2. Consuelo's Love Theme
3. Leonardo's Lady
4. Fotografia
5. Quase
6. Aldovio
7. Once upon a Love Theme
8. Manha de Carnaval
9. Maracangalha
10. La Vie en Rose

Personnel: Chuck Mangione (flugelhorn); Maucha Adnet, Jackie Presti, AnnetteSanders (vocals); Gerry Niewood (flute, alto flute); Sarah Carter (cello);Cliff Korman (piano, keyboards); Jay Azzolina (guitar); David Finck (acoustic& electric basses); Kip Reid (electric bass); Paulo Braga (drums); Cafe (percussion).Recorded at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, New York, New York on October 19-23, 1998

51CP5M3Z39L.jpg

High -- CD

The Blue Nile

2004 Sanctuary/Epstein Records

Blue Nile albums only come around at an average of about twice every 10 years, so each one is greeted with a wealth of anticipation and reverence. This was no less true for the Scottish trio's fourth album, HIGH. Following the group's chronological line of progression, HIGH is most akin to its predecessor, 1996's PEACE AT LAST. The striking angularity of the band's first two records is supplanted by a more organic sound, with singer/songwriter Paul Buchanan's passionate, soulful voice as the main focus. Blue Nile's trademark lush production style is in evidence, as twinkling keyboards and acoustic guitars provide a starlit background for Buchanan's emotional journeys. More than ever, here the group moves closer to a blue-eyed-soul sound, with Buchanan belting out simple (but never simplistic) romantic lyrics over the kind of mid-tempo programmed beats and velvety synthesizers that wouldn't sound out of place in a slow-jam R&B mix.

Track Listing
1. The Days of Our Lives
2. I Would Never
3. Broken Loves
4. Because of Toledo
5. She Saw the World
6. High
7. Soul Boy
8. Everybody Else
9. Stay Close

Personnel: Paul Buchanan, Paul Joseph Moore , Robert Bell

61oA96qZ3cL.jpg

Zaz -- CD

Zaz

2010 Play On Music (Import France)

The self-titled album debut of Zaz is one of the more exciting French revelations of 2010, boasting a refreshingly unique gypsy jazz style as well as plenty of contemporary pop appeal. Thirty years old at the time of her solo album debut, Zaz is a seasoned vocalist with years of experience as a performer, and her vocals are indeed a wonder to behold. She's a talented jazz vocalist, for sure, and her resemblance to Edith Piaf is striking. In addition to her singing, Zaz is a gifted songwriter credited with either writing or co-writing six of the 11 songs on her debut album. French pop star Rapha‰l is credited with writing three of the remaining songs, "La F‚e," "Port Coton," and "blouie par la Nuit," and Kerredine Soltani is credited with writing the standout lead single, "Je Veux." Moreover, Rapha‰l is credited with producing four songs on the album: the three that he wrote, plus "Trop Sensible." Alban Sautour, Germain Guyot, and Soltani are also credited with production, and their work is commendable. The gypsy jazz style of the album is tastefully produced, never sounding retro or clich‚d and, more importantly, never taking anything away from Zaz herself. Moreover, the contributions of four different producers makes for a diverse sound, with the Rapha‰l songs in particular standing out from the others. Clocking in at 11 songs in 39 minutes, Zaz doesn't overstay its welcome and leaves you craving more after the awe-inspiring closing track by Rapha‰l, "blouie par la Nuit." Impressive from all standpoints, Zaz is a strong contender for French pop revelation of the year. ~ Jason Birchmeier

Track Listing
1. Les Passants
2. Je Veux
3. Le Long De La Route
4. La Fee
5. Trop Sensible
6. Prends Garde A Ta Langue
7. Ni Oui Ni Non
8. Port Coton
9. J'aime A Nouveau
10. Dans Ma Rue
11. blouie Par La Nuit

51mKOvC7spL._SS500_.jpg

A Wonderful World -- CD

Tony Bennett & K.D. Lang

2002 RPM/Columbia Records

Amazon.com

Never mind the project's odd couple, "He's got a girlfriend; so does she" marketing shuck. This is a musical love affair in all its splendor. Produced by the seemingly chameleonic producer T Bone Burnett (who previously revived traditional bluegrass with spectacular success on O Brother, Where Art Thou?), the septuagenarian legend and his unlikely contemporary foil affectionately court a dozen songs from the Louis Armstrong repertoire with the warmth and natural grace that have been a deceptively effortless Bennett trademark for 50-plus years. The pair kick proceedings off with a playful, irony-free "Exactly Like You," then perform a tender vocal waltz across both the ages and the masterful, sympathetic orchestrations of the late Peter Matz, one of Bennett's longtime collaborators. But it's on the more melancholy performances, like "If We Never Meet Again," "I'm Confessin'," and the Armstrong perennials "Wonderful World" and "Lucky Old Sun," that the pair tap into something akin to timeless musical telepathy. Her own talents hardly in need of burnishing, lang invests the project with some gratifying new smokiness and is rewarded with a postgraduate course in saloon singing for the ages. It's an album that begs the best kind of question: When do we get an encore? --Jerry McCulley

"Exactly Like You" (Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh) – 3:17
"La Vie en Rose" (Mack David, David Louiguy, Edith Piaf) – 3:23
"I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)" (Doc Daugherty, Al J. Neiburg, Ellis Reynolds) – 4:46
"You Can Depend on Me" (Charles Carpenter, Carl M. Dunlap, Earl Hines) – 3:00
"What a Wonderful World" (Robert Thiele, George David Weiss) – 3:23
"That's My Home" (Otis Rene, Leon Rene) – 3:05
"A Kiss to Build a Dream On" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Harry Kalmar, Ruby – 3:25
"I Wonder" (Cecil Gant, Raymond Leveen) – 3:49
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" (Fabian Andre, Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt) – 3:52
"You Can't Lose a Broken Heart" (James P. Johnson, Eddie Miller) – 3:14
"That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day)" (Haven Gillespie, Harry Beasley Smith) – 4:36
"If We Never Meet Again" (Louis Armstrong, Horace Gerlach) 3:52

------------

Tony Bennett – vocals
k.d. lang – vocals
Lee Musiker – piano, arrangements
Clayton Cameron – drums
Paul Langosch – double bass
Gray Sargent – guitar
Scott Hamilton – tenor saxophone

51YGBPRNCBL.jpg

New Orleans Piano -- CD

Professor Longhair

1972/1989 Atlantic Jazz

Professor Longhair is the fountainhead of New Orleans R&B, and NEW ORLEANS PIANO is one of the style's essential documents. It contains recordings 'Fess made for Atlantic in the late 1940s/early '50s, some of his finest sessions. This collection wasn't released until 1972, but it surely had a profound effect on every young pianist who heard it; on Longhair's signature song, "Tipitina," and others, the piano king's loose-limbed, rolling piano lines, organically polyrhythmic second-line grooves, and rough, quirky vocals add up to a jubilant, seamless style that's simultaneously vibrant and unhurried. 'Fess's trademark whistling atop the insistent piano figure of "Mardi Gras in New Orleans" remains one of the most vivid sonic evocations of party time in the Crescent City.

Track Listing
1. In the Night
2. Tipitina
3. Tipitina - (bonus track)
4. Ball the Wall
5. Who's Been Fooling You
6. Hey Now Baby
7. Mardi Gras in New Orleans - (previously unreleased)
8. bonus track) She Walks Right In - (previously unreleased
9. Hey Little Girl
10. Willie Mae
11. Walk Your Blues Away
12. Professor Longhair Blues
13. Boogie Woogie
14. Longhair's Blues-Rhumba
15. Mardi Gras in New Orleans - (bonus track)
16. She Walks Right In

Personnel: Professor Longhair (vocals, piano); Roy Byrd (vocals, piano); Charles Burbeck (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Alvin "Red" Tyler, Robert Palmer (saxophone); Robert Parker (alto saxophone); Lee Allen (tenor saxophone); Earl Palmer , John Woodrow, Al Miller (drums).Liner Note Author: Mike Leadbitter.Recording information: New Orleans, LA.

Dennie said:
Professor Longhair
LOVE that guy!! :handgestures-thumbup:

I can't say that I ever remember you listening to Jon Cleary. If not, I HIGHLY recommend "Alligator Lips and Dirty Rice". If you do know about Jon, do you also know that he was the last student of 'Fess?

51fM%2BzEpqeL.jpg

Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson -- Remastered 20 Bit CD

Ben Webster - Oscar Peterson Trio

1960/1997 Verve Master Edition

Another fine Webster release on Verve that sees the tenor great once again backed by the deluxe Oscar Peterson Trio. In keeping with the high standard of their Soulville collaboration of two years prior, Webster and the trio -- Peterson is joined by bassist Ray Brown and drummer Ed Thigpen -- use this 1959 date to conduct a clinic in ballad playing. And while Soulville certainly ranks as one of the tenor saxophonist's best discs, the Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson set gets even higher marks for its almost transcendent marriage of after-hours elegance and effortless mid-tempo swing -- none of Webster's boogie-woogie piano work to break up the mood here. Besides reinvigorating such lithe strollers as "Bye Bye Blackbird" (nice bass work by Brown here) and "This Can't Be Love," Webster and company achieve classic status for their interpretation of the Sinatra gem "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning." And to reassure Peterson fans worried about scant solo time for their hero, the pianist lays down a healthy number of extended runs, unobtrusively shadowing Webster's vaporous tone and supple phrasing along the way. Not only a definite first-disc choice for Webster newcomers, but one of the jazz legend's all-time great records. Review by Stephen Cook

Track Listing
1. The Touch of Your Lips
2. When Your Lover Has Gone
3. Bye Bye Blackbird
4. How Deep Is the Ocean?
5. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
6. Sunday
7. This Can't Be Love

Personnel: Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Ray Brown (bass); Ed Thigpen (drums).Producers: Norman Granz, Russ Garcia.Reissue producer: Michael Lang.Recorded at United Recorders, Hollywood, California on November 6, 1959. Originally released on Verve (6114). Includes original liner notes by Stephen Frostberg and reissue liner notes by Kevin Whitehead.Digitally remastered by Chris Herles (PolyGram Studios)

Zing said:
Dennie said:
Professor Longhair
LOVE that guy!! :handgestures-thumbup:

I can't say that I ever remember you listening to Jon Cleary. If not, I HIGHLY recommend "Alligator Lips and Dirty Rice". If you do know about Jon, do you also know that he was the last student of 'Fess?

I'm only familiar with Jon Cleary playing on other peoples albums. So, I ordered "Alligator Lips and Dirt Rice". Thanks for the Heads up.

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

51tfLZMv5nL.jpg

Songs For Distingue Lovers -- Remastered 20 Bit CD

Billie Holiday

1957/1997 Verve Master Edition

Songs for Distingué Lovers forms part of the last series of extensive small-group recordings that Lady Day would make in the studio. Although her voice was largely shot at this point, she puts so much feeling into the lyrics that it's easy to overlook her dark sound. The band is a major asset, and made up of all-stars: trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison, tenor saxophonist Ben Webster, pianist Jimmie Rowles, guitarist Barney Kessel, bassist Red Mitchell, and Alvin Stoller or Larry Bunker on drums. There are plenty of short solos for Edison, Webster, and Kessel. Holiday does her best on such numbers as "A Foggy Day," "One for My Baby," "Just One of Those Things," and "I Didn't Know What Time It Was," and there are plenty of haunting moments, even if one could tell (even at the time) that the end was probably drawing near for the singer. [Some reissues add six songs, doubling the original program, including further recordings made during the same January 1957 sessions.] Review by Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Day Out Day In
2. A Foggy Day
3. Stars Fell on Alabama
4. One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)
5. Just One of Those Things
6. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
7. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
8. I Wished on the Moon
9. They Can't Take That Away from Me
10. Body and Soul
11. Moonlight in Vermont
12. Love Is Here to Stay

Personnel: Billie Holiday (vocals); Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet); Jimmie Rowles (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Red Mitchell (bass); Larry Bunker, Alvin Stoller (drums).Producer: Norman Granz.Reissue producer: Michael Lang.Recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, California between January 3 & 9, 1957. Includes liner notes by James Patrick.All tracks have been digitally remastered.This is part of the Verve Master Edition series

Dennie said:
So, I ordered "Alligator Lips and Dirt Rice".

You are in for a huge :happy-smileygiantred: !

We have been listening to Jon for years. He is incredible! :bow-blue:

I just may have to pull that one up tonight. :happy-smileygiantred:

Babs said:
Dennie said:
So, I ordered "Alligator Lips and Dirt Rice".

You are in for a huge :happy-smileygiantred: !

We have been listening to Jon for years. He is incredible! :bow-blue:

I just may have to pull that one up tonight. :happy-smileygiantred:

I certainly hope so. LOL That CD just set me back $20... :angry-tappingfoot:

I look forward to hearing it. Again, Thanks Guys!

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Zing said:
Dennie said:
That CD just set me back $20...
I'll offer you a money back guarantee.

Don't you love it when you like an album enough to do that! :dance:

I've never had to pay out when making that offer. Let's hope you don't have to either! ;)

Dennie :music-listening:

51a0FbQmloL.jpg

Groove Yard -- 20bit K2 Remastered XRCD

The Montgomery Brothers

1961/1994 Riverside/Fantasy/JVC

This record makes you wonder why there weren't more great hard-bop albums made by guitarist-led quartets -- or, for that matter, why Wes didn't record more with his brothers. The guitarist is joined by brothers Buddy on piano and Monk on string bass, with Bobby Thomas on drums. There are two originals by Buddy and one by Wes ('Doujie') as well as tunes by Milt Jackson, Harold Land and others. These are tunes the brothers were playing as part of a regular gig they had in New York City at the time of the recording in 1961.As a result the arrangements are remarkably tight and the interplay is exhilarating--there's plenty of blowing, but it's hardly a "blowing session" per se. The album is rightly credited as a group effort; even though Wes has plenty of room to stretch out, the emphasis, as the title suggests, is on grooving as an ensemble. The brothers tend to hang in the middle tempos, further contributing to the sense of relaxation that runs throughout the eight tunes here. Highly recommended.

Track listing

"Bock to Bock (Back to Back)" (Buddy Montgomery) – 6:48
"Groove Yard" (Carl Perkins) – 3:05
"If I Should Lose You" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) – 5:52
"Delirium" (Harold Land) – 3:41
"Just For Now" (Buddy Montgomery) – 5:00
"Doujie" (Wes Montgomery) – 4:39
"Heart Strings" (Milt Jackson) – 4:38
"Remember" (Irving Berlin) – 5:36

The song "Groove Yard" is usually titled "Grooveyard".

Personnel includes: Wes Montgomery (arch top electric guitar); Buddy Montgomery (piano); Monk Montgomery (Fender bass); Bobby Thomas (drums).Recorded in January, 1961. Originally released on Riverside (9362).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

h94277amkr7.jpg

This is the closet image I can find to this CD.

I luv each & every tune! But, my favorites are...

#3...C'mon Second Line
#4...Groove Me
#8...Pick Up the Pieces (some serious keyboard on this one)
#9...Burnt Mouth Boogie (even, more, serious keyboards)

This man has a gift!!!

:bow-blue: :handgestures-thumbup:

Back