• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

MI0000580857.jpg

Really good guitar solo on the track "Somehow."

Juba Dance by Guy Davis

41zXZf52DrL._SX300_.jpg

(2013)

1. Lost Again
2. My Eyes Keep Me In Trouble
3. Love Looks Good On You
4. Some Cold Rainy Day
5. See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
6. Dance Juba Dance
7. Black Coffee
8. Did You See My Baby
9. Satisfied
10. That's No Way To Get Along
11. Saturday Blues
12. Prodigal Son
13. Statesboro Blues

Today's work truck music...

18e1810ae7a0fbf869212210.L.jpg

16 Greatest Hits -- CD

Steppenwolf

1973/1985 MCA Records

Amazon.com

The ultimate rock anthem ("Born to Be Wild", in case you're wondering) opens this spectacular greatest-hits collection from one of the original hard rock bands. All of the best is here; the psychedelic "Magic Carpet Ride", the bluesy "The Pusher", heavy rockers such as "Hey Lawdy Mama" and "Screaming Night Hog", the regretful "Snowblind Friend" and the sadistic ballad "Tenderness". Steppenwolf's glory days are long past, but this album is a definite classic, featuring songs that helped establish the then-emerging hard rock genre. --Genevieve Williams

1. Born To Be Wild
2. Its Never Too Late
3. Rock Me
4. Hey Lawdy Mama
5. Move Over
6. Who Needs Ya
7. Snowblind Friend
8. Ride With Me
9. Magic Carpet Ride
10. The Pusher
11. Sookie Sookie
12. Jupiters Child
13. Screaming Night Hog
14. For Ladies Only
15. Tenderness
16. Monster

Today's work truck music....

9ef57220eca065df1aae7010.L.jpg

Live In Australia -- CD

Elton John with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

1987 MCA Records

The Definitive Elton John Collection, May 13, 2004
By Todd Foster (UNited States) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Live In Australia With The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (Audio CD)

This album to me is the definitive Elton John collection. The choice of songs is impeccable. Mostly made up of songs from the early years of the John-Taupin relationship, it is the definitive way Elton should be heard. The older songs such as "Sixty Years On", "The Greatest Discovery", and "The King Must Die" are rare nuggets that reveal a time when the writing styles of the duo was very raw. In my opinion, the version of "Tonight" is a lot richer sounding than the version on "Blue Moves". "Tiny Dancer" and "Burn Down the Mission" are Elton concert staples, but are given added luster with the addition of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. And of course this is the album that brought "Candle In The wind" back to the masses. Released as the single from the album,it brought Elton back to the Top 10 after approximately 4 year absence. True Elton fans know that right after this album was recorded, Elton had nodules removed from his throat. Knowing this adds to the rawness of his vocals and the emotions from the recordings.(Elton did not know the severity of his throat problems at the time.) Given all of this, "Live In Australia" defines Elton John's career and is a cornerstone of his catalog that all fans should have. If I am introducing someone to Elton John, this is the album I would buy them.

1. "Sixty Years On" – 5:41
2. "I Need You to Turn To" – 3:14
3. "The Greatest Discovery" – 4:09
4. "Tonight"– 5:58
5. "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" – 3:58
6. "The King Must Die" – 5:21
7. "Take Me to the Pilot" – 4:22
8. "Tiny Dancer" – 7:46
9. "Have Mercy on the Criminal" – 5:50
10. "Madman Across the Water" – 6:38
11. "Candle in the Wind" – 4:10
12. "Burn Down the Mission" – 5:49
13. "Your Song" – 4:04
14. "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" – 8:46

The original 1987 US CD release on MCA Records (MCAD-8022) is longer by ten seconds, clocking in at 73.58.

The 1998 re-mastered CD edition on Mercury/Island Records (314 558 477-2) runs only 73.48.

The missing time is due to the removal of several seconds of applause following the song “Tonight.”

The track-list for both editions is the same. However, the running time of most of the re-mastered tracks vary from the original release due to a different placement of the track marks between songs. In many cases, the track mark changes move a song’s spoken introduction from the beginning of the track to the end of the preceding track.

81IerNv7ssL_zps1ab3684f.jpg

The New York Sessions (1929-1930) -- Remastered CD

King Oliver

1989 Bluebird/RCA Records (Import Germany)

Rather than reissue all of the Victor recordings released under King Oliver's name, this CD has the 22 recordings that best show off the cornetist's playing during his final period on records, including several alternate takes. Oliver was plagued with dental problems by 1928 but is in generally good form on these late recordings, taking a dramatic solo on "Too Late" and sounding surprisingly strong on "Struggle Buggy." Otherwise the music would still be well worth getting for Oliver's sidemen alone since together they form a high-quality dance band. This CD is recommended to all 1920s collectors except King Oliver completists, and even they might be forced to acquire this due to the inclusion of a few very rare alterante takes including the previously unreleased first take of "Olga." Review by Scott Yanow

Track listing:

01. What You Want Me To Do

02. Sweet Like This

03. Too Late

04. I’m Lonesome, Sweetheart

05. Frankie And Johnny (Take 3)

06. New Orleans Shout

07. Everybody Does It In Hawaii

08. Frankie And Johnny (Take 4)

09. I Must Have It

10. Rhythm Club Stomp

11. You’re Jus My Type

12. Edna

13. Mule Face Blues

14. Struggle Buggy

15. Don’t You Think I Love You

16. Olga (Take 1)

17. Olga (Take 2)

18. Shake It And Break It

19. Stingaree Blues

20. Nelson Stomp (Take 2)

21. Nelson Stomp (Take 3)

22. Stealing Love

Oh. Oh Oh Oh. 5.1 Surround.

51LjqL13sNL.jpg

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Thank you MUCH Keith for letting us know this was out! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Today's work truck music.....

51E9m9YLTHL._SS500_.jpg

This Time -- CD

Dwight Yoakam

1993 Reprise Records

Dwight is the best of his genre, September 30, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: This Time (Audio CD)

OK . . . Country music typicaly puts me to sleep. Each line rhymes, the beat is predictable, yadda yadda. Dwight is the exception. When all my friends were going crazy about Garth Brooks, I was listening to Dwight. I don't know much about country music, but I hear he is under-apprecated? Hello? I have nearly everything he has recorded, but this remains one of my favorites. Dwight is pure emotion, completely unpretentious, honest. My musical tastes range from Hip-Hop, R&B, POP to classical. One common tie between all of them . . . I appreciate GREAT music. This is one of Dwight's greatest, aside from his greatest hits compilations. "1000 Miles From Nowhere" and "It Ain't Over Yet" are just the tip of the iceburg of this man's enormous talent.

I can only imagine that Dwight, himself, is a wonderful person with a great heart. His music certainly reflects that. It is worth the stigma of being "uncool" for listening to country. Dwight is the best, with one of the greatest voices ever. Check it out.

"Pocket of a Clown" (Dwight Yoakam) – 2:55
"A Thousand Miles from Nowhere" (Yoakam) – 4:27
"Home for Sale" (Yoakam) – 3:35
"This Time" (Yoakam, Kostas) – 3:58
"Two Doors Down" (Yoakam, Kostas) – 3:52
"Ain't That Lonely Yet" (Kostas, James House) – 3:17
"King of Fools" (Yoakam, Kostas) – 4:05
"Fast as You" (Yoakam) – 4:45
"Try Not to Look So Pretty" (Yoakam, Kostas) – 2:52
"Wild Ride" (Yoakam) – 4:42
"Lonesome Roads" (Yoakam) – 3:05

Botch said:
Oh. Oh Oh Oh. 5.1 Surround.

51LjqL13sNL.jpg

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Thank you MUCH Keith for letting us know this was out! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Yes Sir!! I am glad you liked the mix!

:music-rockout: :happy-smileygiantred: :music-rockout: :happy-smileygiantred: :music-rockout:

Today's work truck music...

51l4f2nGAQL.jpg

Searchin' For A Rainbow -- CD

The Marshall Tucker Band

1975/1990 Capricorn/AJK Records

Old West dreams meet Southern memories in the tracks of Searchin’ for a Rainbow, The Marshall Tucker Band’s fourth album. Released in 1975, this song collection found the group refining its multi-faceted sound into an appealing country-rock essence. Still present were the jazz and blues-based elements that had always made Marshall Tucker a distinctive unit. By dressing up their music in Western garb, the band found a way to reach a huge new audience—all it took was a little "Fire On The Mountain" to light the way. "We’d found a bit more direction on how to design songs for a record," says lead singer Doug Gray. "Our record company Capricorn had always said, ‘Try to give us something that would work on the radio.’ We tried to do that, and at the same time please each other. We were known as a jamming band. This was the first time we really tried to give them Marshall Tucker’s interpretation of what a hit song was." Helping to spur things on was "Fire On The Mountain," the lead track off Searchin’ for a Rainbow. Released as a single in the fall of ’75, the tune reached #38 on the pop charts. A vivid, Old West, lyric-storyline combined with bluegrass-tinged instrumental licks and an ear-grabbing chorus brought Marshall Tucker its first Top 40 hit.

Side One

"Fire on the Mountain" (George McCorkle) - 3:53
"Searchin' for a Rainbow" - 3:48
"Walkin' and Talkin'" - 2:25
"Virginia" - 4:54

Side Two

"Bob Away My Blues" - 2:42
"Keeps Me from All Wrong" - 4:13
"Bound and Determined" - 4:20
"Can't You See" (Live) - 6:25

517xk2FDxwL._SS500_.jpg

Wet -- CD

Barbra Streisand

1979/1990 Columbia Records

Crystal clear vocals!, August 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Wet (Audio CD)

As some other readers have mentioned, recording "Splish-splash" may have been a mistake, but the rest of the album is so great, you'll easily forgive that one poor song. From the opening "Wet" to the closing "Kiss Me In the Rain," each of the ballads are performed with the skill and class that we have come to expect from Streisand. And be sure to catch her #1 duet with Donna Summer "No More Tears," as well as her jazzy take on "Come Rain Or Come Shine." Not to be missed!

"Wet" (Sue Sheridan, Barbra Streisand, David Wolfert) – 4:23
"Come Rain or Come Shine" (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer) – 3:49
"Splish Splash" (Bobby Darin, Jean Murray) – 4:06
"On Rainy Afternoons" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Lalo Schifrin) – 4:20
"After The Rain" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand) – 5:08
"No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" (Paul Jabara, Bruce Roberts)
Performed by Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer – 8:19
"Niagara" (Carole Bayer Sager, Marvin Hamlisch, Bruce Roberts) – 4:37
"I Ain't Gonna Cry Tonight" (Alan Gordon) – 3:44
"Kiss Me In the Rain" (Santo "Sandy" Farina, Lisa Ratner) – 4:20

RIP Joe Sample - (February 1, 1939 – September 12, 2014)

839462e89da029e3a96a2110.L.jpg

Ashes To Ashes -- CD

Joe Sample

1990 Warner Bros. Records

This was My first classic CD, please make it one of yours., March 9, 2006
By
Lloyd L. Favors "Str8-no-chaser" (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ashes to Ashes (Audio CD)
There are not many words that can tell what this album means to me. This album was a milestone in my life, thats how good it is. I bought this album in 1991, while I was in college. I have been a Jazz music lover since the age of 6 or 7. At the time I was not aware that Joe Sample was a part of the group, The Crusaders. At the time I was experimenting with new artists in an effort to broaden my collection and come across some new groups. See, trial and error was the best way to find out about stuff that your peers were not versed in. Keep in mind this was the pre-internet years. I will admit, I chose to buy the album because of the art on the album cover, other than that there was not much to go on because this name was new. But I will say, that was a gamble that paid off. From the first time I listened to that album, I was amazed. I could not believe that an album could have so many songs that were consuming. Out of the 9 songs on this album, I found myself mentally caught up in the Piano (the instrument that JS plays)on 7 of those songs, the other two songs were just plain fun. This album is the best album by a Jazz pianist I have ever heard. And ever since 1991, I have been telling everyone that can hear, Joe Sample and Ashes to Ashes is the best.

Track Listing
1. Ashes to Ashes
2. Road Less Traveled, The
3. Mother's Eyes
4. Last Child, The
5. Born in Trouble
6. Strike Two
7. I'll Love You
8. Born to Be Bad
9. Phoenix

Personnel includes: Joe Sample (keyboards); Michael Landau (guitar); Marcus Miller (electric bass); Omar Hakim (drums); Lenny Castro (percussion).

6936c060ada0406c1ae8b110.L.jpg

Magic Time -- Cd

Van Morrison

2005 Geffen Records

Amazon.com
Like a human infusion of chamomile tea, hearing Van Morrison's voice has the effect of instantly soothing even the most stressed listener. That said, some of his releases have been so mellow that they muted the '60s soul influences that had been a part of Van's appeal. Not so with Magic Time, a wonderful balance of groove and smoothness, with a "live off the floor" feel evident throughout the disc. Right from the start "Stranded" shows Van at his crooner best--relaxed, present, and joyful. "Celtic New Year" comes next with a very Astral Weeks feel, leading one to believe that this disc might be sedentary through and through… until "Keep Mediocrity at Bay" kicks in, a feisty blues romp proving that though in his sixties, Morrison still has the sass of his best previous days. Morrison's cover of Sinatra's brassy "This Love of Mine" and Perry Como's "I'm Confessin'" are full of cheek and charm. Morrison-as-producer has chosen stellar horn sections that elevate the music from good to great and come from an obvious deep love of classic blues and soul. He's a lover and a fighter (the disc has two references to his disdain of the music industry: "They Sold Me Out" and "Carry On Regardless"), but ultimately true to his own musical vision. This destined-to-be-classic release will please a wide variety of his fans. --Denise Sheppard

All songs by Van Morrison (unless noted otherwise)

1. "Stranded" – 5:34
2. "Celtic New Year" – 6:10
3. "Keep Mediocrity at Bay" – 3:44
4. "Evening Train" – 2:48
5. "This Love of Mine" (Sol Parker, Henry W. Sanicola, Frank Sinatra) – 2:42
6. "I'm Confessin'" (Doc Daughtery, Al Neiburg, Ellis Reynolds) – 4:29
7. "Just Like Greta" – 6:25
8. "Gypsy in My Soul" – 4:04
9. "Lonely and Blue" ("Black and Blue" with altered lyrics) (Harry Brooks, Andy Razaf, Fats Waller) – 3:41
10. "The Lion This Time" – 4:56
11. "Magic Time" – 5:06
12. "They Sold Me Out" – 3:11
13. "Carry On Regardless" – 5:54

8146225b9da0b4bcfe44f010.L.jpg

Meddle -- 24k Gold OMR CD

Pink Floyd

1971 MFSL Ultradisc II

MEDDLE was the first album to hint at the musical identity that would define Pink Floyd in the mid- to late-'70s. Whereas prior releases like UMMAGUMMA and ATOM HEART MOTHER announced the presence of new singer/guitarist/songwriter David Gilmour, MEDDLE represents the band's Gilmour-influenced evolution toward a sleek, epic, spacey sound. In "Echoes," an ambitious 23-minute soundscape, the pinging of a synthesizer greets the listener before Gilmour's warm, open guitar and gentle crooning gives way to a repetitious, workmanlike rhythm. From here, the music fades into an abyss of whale calls and eerie sonic reverberations.Elsewhere, Floyd dabbles with straightforward cocktail-hour jazz ("San Tropez") and a twisted slow blues ("Seamus"). But it is "One of These Days," MEDDLE's opening track and lone radio staple, that truly previews things to come. Roger Waters's bass, played through a Binson echo unit, establishes the song's manically hypnotic groove, as Richard Wright's synthesizer bursts in and out, Nick Mason's off-kilter drum fills get tossed around, and Gilmour's guitar dive-bombs through it all. These varied sound effects, packaged in a song that clocked in at less than six minutes, were a precedent for the masterpiece that was two years away: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

Side one
No. Title Music Lead vocals Length
1. "One of These Days" Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour Instrumental[nb 4] 5:57
2. "A Pillow of Winds" Waters, Gilmour Gilmour 5:10
3. "Fearless" (including "You'll Never Walk Alone") Waters, Gilmour (including Rodgers, Hammerstein II) Gilmour 6:08
4. "San Tropez" Waters Waters 3:43
5. "Seamus" Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour Gilmour 2:16
Side two
No. Title Music Lead vocals Length
1. "Echoes" Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour Gilmour and Wright 23:29

ellington_indigos_zps82335411.jpg

Indigos -- 24/192khz DVD-A

Duke Ellington

2014 HD Tape Transfers

Title: Duke Ellington Indigos
Artist(s): Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
Recording Info: Transferred from a 15ips 2-track tape
Recorded by Columbia 1957 in NYC
Please Note: Tracks 1 & 8 had to be converted to DXD during
the mastering process for editing reasons

01. Prelude To A Kiss
02. Willow Weep For Me
03. Tenderly
04. Dancing In The Dark
05. Solitude
06. Where or When
07. Mood Indigo
08. Autumn Leaves

61xtPikhTnL.jpg

Summer Wind: Live at The LOA -- SACD

The Ray Brown Trio

1990/2003 Concord Jazz

Ray Brown has many great contributions to jazz as a leader and a sideman, but one additional way in which he helped jazz was his encouraging Gene Harris to give up his early retirement and go back out on the road. The pianist was a part of Brown's groups for several years before he formed a working quartet and became a leader for good once again. This 1988 concert at a since-defunct Santa Monica night club (co-owned by Brown) finds the two, along with drummer Jeff Hamilton, at the top of their game. A phone ringing in the background distracts momentarily from Brown's opening solo in his composition "The Real Blues," during which Harris repeats a bluesy tremolo, which may be an inside joke about the early distraction. Harris take a blues-drenched approach to "Mona Lisa" before giving way to the leader's solo, while his lyrical approach to "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" is shimmering. Hamilton's soft brushes are prominent in "Little Darlin'," but his explosive playing provides a powerful pulse to the very unusual strutting take of "It Don't Mean a Thing." This extremely satisfying CD is warmly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Summer Wind
2. The Real Blues
3. Li'l Darlin'
4. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
5. Mona Lisa
6. Buhaina Buhaina
7. Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
8. Bluesology

Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown (acoustic bass); Gene Harris (piano); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded live at The Loa, Santa Monica, California in July 1988. Includes liner notes by Chip Deffaa and Leonard Feather.

51RYlk1FKYL.jpg

"Five Feet of Soul" -- Remastered 24bit CD

Jimmy Rushing

1963/2003 Roulette/EMI Records

Just about to turn 60, Jimmy Rushing recorded his only LP for Colpix in early 1963 with a large group packed with Basie alumni (Freddie Green, Gus Johnson, Joe Newman, Snooky Young, Budd Johnson, Milt Hinton) as well as alto heroes Phil & Quill (aka Phil Woods and Gene Quill) and a pair of tenor mainstays, Zoot Sims and Al Cohn (Cohn actually arranged the date). Despite a host of solo voices (and egos) inherent to the session, Rushing managed the date with his usual good feeling. The songs, most of them ones he had never recorded before, are nevertheless great candidates for the Five-by-Five treatment; "Just Because" and "Heartaches" are especially good, Rushing giving the first a quick, inertia-filled performance, the latter a more graceful blues reading. He also airs a few of his own songs ("Please Come Back" and "Did You Ever"), slides his way through the Bessie Smith/Billie Holiday standard "'Tain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do," and reclaims Clarence Williams' blues standard "My Bucket's Got a Hole in It" from the country audience that had latched onto it. Rushing does betray a sign of his age -- his power in holding lines is obviously diminished from his mid-'50s records with Columbia -- but his joyous sense of swing comes through clearly. ~ John Bush

Track Listing
1. Just Because
2. 'Tain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do
3. Heartaches
4. I'm Walkin' Through Heaven With You
5. Trouble in Mind
6. Oooh! Look-A-There Ain't She Pretty
7. Please Come Back
8. You Always Hurt the One You Love
9. Did You Ever
10. My Bucket's Got a Hole in It

Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.Personnel: Jimmy Rushing (vocals); Al Cohn (arranger); Gene Quill, Phil Woods (alto saxophone); Budd Johnson, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Sol Schlinger (baritone saxophone); Ernie Glow, Markie Markowitz, Joe Newman, Snooky Young (trumpets); Billy Byers, Jimmy Cleveland, Willie Dennis, Urbie Green (trombone); Patti Bown (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Milt Hinton (bass); Gus Johnson (drums).Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York on January 22 & 23, 1963. Originally released on Colpix (446).

JVCXR-0043-Large.600.jpg

The Joker -- XRCD

The Steve Miller Band

1973/2008 Capitol/JVC Records

Although Steve Miller had been slugging it out since the late 60's as a blues-rock guitarist, it wasn't until his 1973 release, THE JOKER, that he finally found his most marketable niche in radio friendly rock. Here Miller abandoned his edge and his rootsy sensibilities, and leaned toward a lighter, more melodic approach. This is typified in the title track, a shuffling groover with an infectiously hooky chorus that went on to become a monstrous smash, and something of a signature song for Miller.While "The Joker" is the centerpiece of the album the be-bop ditty "Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma," the humorous "Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash," and the underrated Miller composition "Sugar Babe" are also noteworthy. THE JOKER is most interesting as a look at Miller in transition: it contains many of the elements that would go on to make him a superstar over the course of his next two releases, 1976's FLY LIKE AN EAGLE and 77's BOOK OF DREAMS.

Track Listing
1. Sugar Babe
2. Mary Lou
3. Shu Ba da du Ma Ma Ma Ma
4. Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash
5. The Joker
6. The Lovin' Cup
7. Come on in My Kitchen
8. Evil
9. Something to Believe In

Steve Miller Band: Steve Miller (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Dickie Thompson (Clavinet, organ); Gerald Johnson (bass); John King (drums).Additional personnel: Sneaky Pete Kleinow (pedal steel guitar); Lonnie Turner (bass).Producer: Steve Miller.Reissue producer: Akira Taguchi.Engineers: Greg McCarthy, Jay Ranellucci.Recorded at Capitol Records, Hollywood, California; Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and The Aquarius Theatre, Boston, Massachussetts.Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

61jfY6pzjSL.jpg

Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of ELO -- CD

Jeff Lynne/ELO

2012 Big Trilby Records

Mr. Blue Sky The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra is a powerful new testament to Jeff Lynne s enduring artistry and his singular desire to get things right once and for all. Here, Lynne has artfully revisited and re-recorded the greatest hits of Electric Light Orchestra, and actually improved on some of the most classic and beloved recordings of all time.
The result is, in effect, a kind of showdown between the Jeff Lynne of today and his extremely illustrious past, and thanks to improved technology and recording artistry, wouldn t you know it, Lynne somehow comes out on top again. So do all of us fans who get another fresh chance to hear these extraordinary songs sounding quite literally better than they
ever have before.

1. Mr. Blue Sky
2. Evil Woman
3. Strange Magic
4. Don't Bring Me Down
5. Turn to Stone
6. Showdown
7. Telephone Line
8. Livin' Thing
9. Do Ya
10. Can't Get It Out of My Head
BONUS TRACKS
11. 10538 Overture (40th Anniversary)
12. Point of No Return (Previously Unreleased)

c60c4310fca01440d9982010.L.jpg

Classics Volume 8 -- CD

Joan Baez

1990 A&M Records

Album notes

This 1987 best-of compiles the work from A&M efforts that marked a stylistic change from her Vanguard years, yet a pretty consistent level of success. Relying on the work of other artists seemed to be more hit and miss during the A&M era. In Baez's interpretations of songs like Bob Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate" and "Forever Young" and John Lennon's "Imagine," her pitch-perfect tone might strike some as unemotional, but her singing is engrossing nonetheless. Not surprisingly, Baez sounds the best here with the tracks that deviate from weighty issues. "Gracias a la Vida" (sung in Spanish) and the haunting "Di Da" (with Joni Mitchell) have her giving off more charm and emotion than usual. "Children and All That Jazz," from her best-selling 1975 album Diamonds & Rust, has a gorgeous, heavily produced '70s L.A. pop/rock style that suited her voice. Unlike many greatest-hit sets, Classics, Vol. 8 also offers strong live performances, including "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and the CD closing "Amazing Grace." Classics, Vol. 8 has the strength of a regular release effort and more than captures the time frame and the artist it's spotlighting. ~ Jason Elias

Track listing

1. Diamonds and Rust
2. Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
3. Simple Twist of Fate
4. Imagine
5. In the Quiet Morning
6. Best of Friends
7. Forever Young
8. Prison Trilogy
9. Jesse
10. Children and All That Jazz
11. Please Come to Boston
12. Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer
13. Gracias a la Vida
14. Sweeter For Me
15. Love Song to a Stranger
16. Amazing Grace

51eyxHf2GAL._SS500_.jpg

To Tulsa And Back -- CD

J.J. Cale

2004 Sanctuary Records

Cale, Back From Tulsa Sounding Great!, June 22, 2004
By William Sargent (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Tulsa & Back (Audio CD)

I'd call this Cale's best since Troubador from 1976. JJ went To Tulsa And Back to record this harder-edged collection. It contains unargueably some of his best laid-back tunes, that harken back to JJ's early Shelter years albums, like Naturally, Really and Okie. JJ used some of his hometown pals to record about half of these new songs in Tulsa, and the results sounds great! "Blues For Mama" is a must for any blues fan, with its melancholy melody, moanfully wailing guitar licks and from-the-gut vocal. "New Lover" is an energetic rocker led by Cale's driving guitar, and it screams, "Oh Eric, book some studio time". "The Problem" (a political message) is destined to be a Cale classic, with his coarse whispery vocal, and acidic lead guitar, fueled along by that incredible Tulsa Sound. Aware of life on the streets, JJ gives us a view of a pair living it in "Homeless". Another favorite on this cd is "Fancy Dancer", one of those rhythmic tunes that you can't sit still to. JJ Cale delivered a gem this time... get a copy!

"My Gal" 4:23
"Chains Of Love" 3:37
"New Lover" 3:12
"I Step" 3:20
"Stone River" 3:42
"The Problem" 4:31
"Homeless" 3:25
"Fancy Dancer" 4:50
"Rio" 3:46
"These Blues" 3:49
"Moto Mouth" 3:17
"Blues For Mama" 4:07