• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

41E3GXrCHaL._SS500_.jpg

Double Fantasy -- CD

John Lennon & Yoko Ono

1980/1990 Geffen/Capitol

Have i matured or something??, January 9, 2006
By Littlemonk (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Fantasy (Audio CD)

I remember listening to this album as a child back in the early 70's. Being the child of Classic Rock parents i dove deeply into the music of their era, the Beatles being the obvious centerpiece of this musical revolution. The most surprising thing now is that i actually LIKE some of the Yoko Ono songs!?? Who would have thought? What seemed like the whining howls of the woman that the world loves to hate, are now a solid, pleasing sound of real music. Now that's not to say that ALL of Yoko's pieces on this album are listenable (i haven't gone completely mad), but I'M MOVING ON, I'M YOU'RE ANGEL, and EVERY MAN HAS A WOMAN should definitely receive honorable mention. A lot of the music that Yoko delivered is much like Japanese pop is nowadays. As i begin to listen to world music (pop/electronica,etc.) and world beats, i seem to have more understanding and respect for the music attempted here. And whether you blame the woman for breaking up the Beatles, she is still a very creative and artistic woman who doesn't really give a *** what you think of her. And the woman endured insult and ridicule with such dignity that you have to have an enormous amount of respect for the woman. So what seemed as shocking disgust as a young boy, has turned in to an interesting and unique objective to Yoko's music now that i'm in my 30's. In fact, the album as a whole is very exciting to listen to as Yoko's Japanese pop and the soloist Lennon blend together (in a very strange but certain cohesiveness) to produce music that is fresh, active, and cool. Nothing like an open mind to revisit old friends.

1. "(Just Like) Starting Over" John Lennon 3:56
2. "Kiss Kiss Kiss" Yoko Ono 2:41
3. "Cleanup Time" John Lennon 2:58
4. "Give Me Something" Yoko Ono 1:35
5. "I'm Losing You" John Lennon 3:57
6. "I'm Moving On" Yoko Ono 2:20
7. "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" John Lennon 4:02
8. "Watching the Wheels" John Lennon 3:35
9. "Yes, I'm Your Angel" Yoko Ono 3:08
10. "Woman" John Lennon 3:22
11. "Beautiful Boys" Yoko Ono 2:55
12. "Dear Yoko" John Lennon 2:34
13. "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him" Yoko Ono 4:02
14. "Hard Times Are Over" Yoko Ono 3:20

Today's drive to Medford, Oregon music....

51dpVJITk1L._SS500_.jpg

24 Nights -- 2 CD Box Set

Eric Clapton

1991 Reprise Records

Eric's best live album, September 28, 1998
By facls@uol.com.br (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Nights (Audio CD)

This is Eric's best solo live album. It has a great selection of songs, and the band backs him up perfectly. His blues band, with Buddy Guy and Robert Cray, plays incredibly, especially in Watch Yourself. He plays great versions of Cream songs, especially Badge, and from his Journeyman album, particularly Pretending. This CD has his best version of Wonderful Tonight, with beautiful backup singing by Katie Kisson, who is great in Bell Bottom Blues, too. There's also Hard Times, one of his favorite songs, and his heartfelt version is wonderful. Heart of Darkness is an odd choice to be in the CD, but it's good too. All in all, a must-have.

Disc One

"Badge" (Eric Clapton/George Harrison) – 6:51
"Running On Faith" (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 6:49
"White Room" (Jack Bruce/Pete Brown) – 6:10
"Sunshine Of Your Love" (Bruce/Brown/Clapton) – 9:11
"Watch Yourself" (Buddy Guy) – 5:39
"Have You Ever Loved A Woman" (Billy Myles) – 6:52
"Worried Life Blues" (Big Maceo Merriweather) – 5:28
"Hoodoo Man" (Amos "Junior" Wells) – 5:41

Disc Two

"Pretending" (Williams) – 7:08
"Bad Love" (Clapton/Mick Jones) – 6:25
"Old Love" (Clapton/Robert Cray) – 13:01
"Wonderful Tonight" (Clapton) – 9:11
"Bell Bottom Blues" (Clapton) – 6:39
"Hard Times" (Ray Charles) – 3:45
"Edge Of Darkness" (Clapton/Michael Kamen) – 6:30

Today's work truck music....

414S48XDXDL_zpsf3f69a10.jpg

The Great American Songbook - Live -- CD

Carmen McRae

1972 Atlantic Jazz

On this popular two-LP set, singer Carmen McRae interprets songs by Duke Ellington, Cole Porter, Michel Legrand, Warren & Dubin, Henry Mancini, and Jimmy Van Heusen, among others, but it is her rendition of a humorous Jimmy Rowles novelty ("The Ballad of Thelonious Monk") that is best remembered. Joined by pianist Rowles, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist Chuck Domanico, and drummer Chuck Flores, McRae had what was at the time a rare opportunity to record a live, spontaneous, jazz-oriented set. She sounds quite enthusiastic about both her accompaniment and the strong repertoire, which includes "At Long Last Love," "I Only Have Eyes for You," "Sunday," "I Cried for You," and "I Thought About You." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Satin Doll
2. At Long Last Love
3. If the Moon Turns Green
4. Day by Day
5. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life
6. I Only Have Eyes For You
7. Medley: Easy Living/Days of Wine and Roses/It's Impossible: Easy Living / The Days Of Wine And Roses / It's Impossible
8. Sunday
9. Song For You, A
10. I Cried For You
11. Behind the Face
12. Ballad of Thelonious Monk, The
13. There's No Such Thing as Love
14. They Long to Be Close to You
15. Three Little Words
16. Mr. Ugly
17. It's Like Reaching For the Moon
18. I Thought About You

Today's work truck music...

71GB9X7s9-L.jpg

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Soundtrack -- CD

Various Artists

2000 Lost Highway Records

Amazon.com's Best of 2001

The best soundtracks are like movies for the ears, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? joins the likes of Saturday Night Fever and The Harder They Come as cinematic pinnacles of song. The music from the Coen brothers' Depression-era film taps into the source from which the purest strains of country, blues, bluegrass, folk, and gospel music flow. Producer T Bone Burnett enlists the voices of Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch, Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, and kindred spirits for performances of traditional material, in arrangements that are either a cappella or feature bare-bones accompaniment. Highlights range from the aching purity of Krauss's "Down to the River to Pray" to the plainspoken faith of the Whites' "Keep on the Sunny Side" to Stanley's chillingly plaintive "O Death." The album's spiritual centerpiece finds Krauss, Welch, and Harris harmonizing on "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby," a gospel lullaby that sounds like a chorus of Appalachian angels. --Don McLeese

1. "Po' Lazarus" traditional James Carter and the Prisoners 4:31
2. "Big Rock Candy Mountain" McClintock Harry McClintock 2:16
3. "You Are My Sunshine" Davis, Mitchell Norman Blake 4:26
4. "Down to the River to Pray" traditional Alison Krauss 2:55
5. "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (radio station version) Dick Burnett Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski 3:10
6. "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" James Chris Thomas King 2:42
7. "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (instrumental) Burnett Norman Blake 4:28
8. "Keep On the Sunny Side" Blenkhorn, Entwisle The Whites 3:33
9. "I'll Fly Away" Brumley Alison Krauss & Gillian Welch 3:57
10. "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby" traditional Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch 1:57
11. "In the Highways" Carter Leah, Sarah, and Hannah Peasall 1:35
12. "I Am Weary, Let Me Rest" Roberts (Kuykendall) The Cox Family 3:13
13. "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (instrumental) Burnett John Hartford 2:34
14. "O Death" traditional Ralph Stanley 3:19
15. "In the Jailhouse Now" Blind Blake, Rodgers Soggy Bottom Boys & Tim Blake Nelson 3:34
16. "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (with band) Burnett Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski 4:16
17. "Indian War Whoop" (instrumental) Hoyt Ming John Hartford 1:30
18. "Lonesome Valley" traditional The Fairfield Four 4:07
19. "Angel Band" traditional The Stanley Brothers 2:15
Total length:
61:24

61%2BvJ3zHjfL._SY300_.jpg

(2014 release)

" As Joe Bonamassa approaches his 26th year as a professional musician, he continues to blaze a remarkably versatile artistic trail, and amass an authentic, innovative and soulful body of work. Bonamassa’s career began onstage opening for B.B. King in 1989, when he was only 12 years old. Today, he is hailed worldwide as one of the greatest guitar players of his generation, .........."

^^^^(lead in of a review)

Today's work truck music....

T2eC16RHJHEE9ny2q9bZBQK5uEzJjQ60_35.jpg

Tapestry Revisited - A tribute To Carole King -- CD

Various Artists

1995 Lava Records

What better way to hone in on Carole King's songwriting mastery than to get perfomers and songwriters of all ages, sounds and sizes to tackle her timeless material. TAPESTRY REVISITED brings together Rod Stewart with Amy Grant, Richard Marx with the Bee Gees, Blessid Union Of Souls with Faith Hill; and all tap into the melodic finesse and finely crafted lyrics that elevated Carole King into the songwriters' pantheon.TAPESTRY REVISITED reminds us how long King's songs have influenced her peers. The Bee Gees' masterful glide through "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" refreshes the memory of King's emergence into the pop world as a member of the Brill Building songwriting pack. Richard Marx's loving rendition of "Beautiful" illustrates the mark King left on the new generation of writers, and Eternal's luxurious version of "I Feel The Earth Move" shows that King's music is truly timeless and capable of inspiring generations of future songsmiths.

Track Listing
1. I Feel the Earth Move - Eternal/The London Session Orchestra
2. So Far Away - Rod Stewart
3. It's Too Late - Amy Grant/The Nashville String Machine
4. Home Again - Curtis Stigers
5. Beautiful - Richard Marx
6. Way over Yonder - Blessid Union of Souls
7. You've Got a Friend - Aretha Franklin/BeBe Winans/CeCe Winans/BeBe & CeCe Winans
8. Where You Lead - Faith Hill
9. Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Bee Gees
10. Smackwater Jack - The Manhattan Transfer
11. Tapestry - All-4-One
12. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Celine Dion

61QEq-R7ObL.jpg

Playin' With My Friends - Bennett Sings The Blues -- CD

Tony Bennett and Friends

2001 RPM/Columbia Records

PLAYIN' WITH MY FRIENDS won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album."New York State Of Mind" was nominated for the 2002 Grammy Award for Best PopCollaboration With Vocals. PLAYIN' WITH MY FRIENDS finds Tony Bennett mixing it up with a broad range of musical veterans and a sprinkling of young turks on this collection whose material primarily draws from the late '40s/early '50s era when the lines between jazz, blues, and pop were blurred. Backed by the stalwarts of the Ralph Sharon quartet, Bennett's easy-going style conjures up an earlier era's definition of cool. The Astoria native takes on the trappings of a saloon singer whether he's flirting with Diana Krall on "Alright, Okay, You Win," commiserating with Ray Charles on the heavy-hearted "Evenin'," or flying solo on Jimmy Rushing's "Undecided Blues".Other collaborators who fare well are Billy Joel (the consistently endearing "New York State Of Mind") and fellow vocal great Kay Starr (a simmering take on Basie's "Blue And Sentimental"). Even when Bennett cuts loose, it's in a cool and collected manner that goes down easy like sipping whiskey. Louis Jordan's "Let The Good Times Roll" comfortably bounces along as fellow septuagenarian B.B. King squeezes off bluesy guitar riffs, and even the normally raucous Robert Cray-penned title track politely chugs along as Bennett's duet guests take turns stepping up to the mike.

Track Listing
1. Alright, Okay, You Win - (featuring Diana Krall)
2. Everyday (I Have the Blues) - (featuring Stevie Wonder)
3. Don't Cry Baby
4. Good Morning, Heartache - (featuring Sheryl Crow)
5. Let the Good Times Roll - (featuring B.B. King)
6. Evenin' - (featuring Ray Charles)
7. I Gotta Right To Sing the Blues - (featuring Bonnie Raitt)
8. Keep the Faith, Baby - (featuring k.d. lang)
9. Old Count Basie is Gone (Old Piney Brown is Gone)
10. Blue and Sentimental - (featuring Kay Starr)
11. New York State of Mind - (featuring Billy Joel)
12. Undecided Blues
13. Blues In the Night
14. Stormy Weather - (featuring Natalie Cole)
15. Playin' With My Friends

Personnel includes: Tony Bennett (vocals); B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt (vocals, guitar); Stevie Wonder (vocals, harmonica); Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow, Ray Charles, k.d. lang, Kay Starr, Billy Joel, Natalie Cole (vocals).The Ralph Sharon Quartet: Ralph Sharon (piano); Gray Sargent (guitar); Paul Langosch (bass); Clayton Cameron (drums).Recorded in Los Angeles, California and New York, New York.

^^^ Tony Bennett has a new album of jazz duets coming out Tuesday, FYI. :music-listening:

Botch said:
^^^ Tony Bennett has a new album of jazz duets coming out Tuesday, FYI. :music-listening:

Yes, Tony and Lady Gaga. I've pre-ordered it.

91A8DJ-SYTL._SX425_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

JohnnyCashMyMothersHymnBook_zps8040d91d.jpg

My Mother's Hymn Book -- CD

Johnny Cash

2004 Lost Highway Records

Previously released as the fourth disc in the UNEARTHED box set, MY MOTHER'S HYMN BOOK, like the lauded AMERICAN RECORDINGS album, features only two instruments--Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar and his unmistakable baritone voice. Recorded at Cash's cabin in rural Tennessee, this spare, unadorned set consists of classic country gospel standards handpicked by Cash from the hymnal of the title. The contents run from the heavenly ode "Where We'll Never Grow Old" to the sauntering "I Am a Pilgrim," and the redemptive "I'll Fly Away." Despite the Man in Black's failing health at the time of this recording, he sounds amazingly vital and notably moved on each and every song. Cash writes in the liner notes, "On that album, I nailed it. That was me....I'm so glad that I got that done." The overwhelming sense of completion and closure is especially fitting, since HYMN BOOK is the final set of songs recorded by Cash with the specific intention of an album. As a testament to a remarkable man and his unshakable faith, nothing could be more fitting.

Track Listing
1. Where We'll Never Grow Old
2. I Shall Not Be Moved
3. I Am a Pilgrim
4. Do Lord
5. When the Roll Is Called up Yonder
6. If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Where the Soul of Man Never Dies
9. Let the Lower Lights Be Burning
10. When He Reached Down
11. In the Sweet by and By
12. I'm Bound For the Promised Land
13. In the Garden
14. Softly and Tenderly
15. Just as I Am

Personnel: Johnny Cash (Vocals & Guitar).

8930900_zpsad948bd9.jpg

Gospel -- CD

The Weavers

1987 Vanguard Records

Given their reputation for being, well, godless Communists, the concept of a gospel album by the Weavers is curious on its face. In fact, however, much of the group's repertoire derived from folk and spiritual sources, sometimes with specifically religious subject matter, sometimes just with church-based origins. In these tracks, compiled from their 1955-1963 recordings, the Weavers address such familiar inspirational material as "When the Saints Go Marching In," "Sinner Man," and "True Religion," as well as gospel-influenced folk songs like "Follow the Drinking Gourd," which concerns the Underground Railroad that helped slaves to freedom, and their own politically charged "If I Had a Hammer (The Hammer Song)," which bridged religious fervor and social activism. Combining the Pete Seeger and Erik Darling eras of the group, this is an excellent thematic arrangement of Weavers music, the only serious criticism of it being that, at under 38 minutes, it could have been longer. ~ William Ruhlmann

Track Listing
1. Michael Row the Boat Ashore
2. Follow the Drinking Gourd
3. On My Journey
4. I've Got a Home In That Rock
5. In That New Jerusalem
6. When the Stars Begin To Fall
7. Come, See, Jerusalem Run
8. If I Had a Hammer (the Hammer Song)
9. Sinner Man
10. You Made Me
11. True Religion
12. Twelve Gates To the City
13. Go Where I Send Thee (One For the Little Bitty Baby)
14. When the Saints Go Marching In

5724750_zpsd8d557b7.jpg

O Mickey, Where Art Thou? -- CD

The Voices of Bluegrass

2003 Walt Disney Records

It's not what you're thinking: No Mickey squeaking out Ralph Stanley songs, no picking and grinning Goofy, no banjo-wielding Pluto woofing mountain music. Instead, O Mickey assembles a first-rate cast of country players for a down-home roundup of Disney covers, from Collin Raye's "Circle of Life" to Ronnie Milsap's "When You Wish Upon a Star" to Stonewall Jackson's warm "The Bare Necessities." It works, based not only on performances by the better-known artists (Charlie Louvin included), but also a couple of bona fide instrumental boot-stompers--"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" gets the dueling fiddles treatment, and "The Mickey Mouse Club March" medley lock-steps it to mandolin and Dobro. Directing bluebirds squarely to shoulders is Elizabeth Cook's breezy "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah," but if there's a shortcoming here it's the blurring of country and bluegrass, a muddling of styles apt to get any self-respecting Soggy Bottom Boy's britches in a twist. --Tammy La Gorce

1. Circle Of Life - Collin Raye
2. Zip A Dee Doo Dah - Elizabeth Cook
3. You'll Be In My Heart - Kevin Montgomery
4. Baby Mine - Caroline Brown
5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Instrumental) - O Mickey, Where Art Thou?
6. Bare Necessities - Stonewall Jackson
7. When Somebody Loved Me - Sonya Isaacs
8. You've Got A Friend In Me - Amanda Martin
9. Mickey Mouse Medley (Instrumental) - O Mickey, Where Art Thou?
10. When I See An Elephant Fly - Robbie Fulks
11. I Will Go Sailing No More - Charlie Louvin
12. When You Wish Upon A Star - Ronnie Milsap

919gAKT9J2BL_zpsfa1b1f75.jpg

Downtown Church -- CD

Patty Griffin

2010 Credential Records

In many respects, art is about the process that goes into the creation of the work as much as the work itself; the path that leads to a final creative vision can often mean as much to the art as the physical technique or the initial inspiration. It's a process not unlike faith, in which the road to spiritual understanding plays a powerful role in informing one's beliefs, and both art and faith play a crucial role in Patty Griffin's seventh album, Downtown Church. While Griffin has described herself as a "lapsed Catholic," she's also spoken of herself as a seeker who believes in the spiritual dimensions of music, and she's a passionate devotee of classic gospel music, with the influences showing clearly on her 2007 album, Children Running Through. On Downtown Church, Griffin has given her gospel influences free reign; while it features two fine new songs from her, most of the album is devoted to vintage gospel of all stripes, from Hank Williams' "House of Gold" and Dorothy Love Coates' "The Strange Man" to traditional numbers such as "Wade in the Water," "If I Had My Way," and "Never Grow Old." Downtown Church was recorded in Nashville's Downtown Presbyterian Church, and while it's hard to say how much that informed the mood of the sessions, Griffin's vocals here possess a fierce passion bordered by a touching emotional fragility, as if she's fully aware of the gravity of the themes at hand, and means to give them the consideration they deserve. Griffin is also accompanied by a number of gifted friends and colleagues; Buddy Miller produced the album, and his spectral guitar lines weave their way through many of the songs, while the guest vocalists include Emmylou Harris, Raul Malo, Jim Lauderdale, and gospel stars Ann McCrary and Regina McCrary, all of whom add to the richness of this music while never leaving any question that this is truly Griffin's album. Griffin has certainly learned a lot from vital gospel artists of the past, but rather than emulate their style, she's absorbed them and used their influences to create something of her own, and along the way, one can hear her digging deep into the meanings of these songs as well as appreciating the beauty on the surface. Griffin sounds bold on "I Smell a Rat," fervent on "The Strange Man," and almost in awe of the simple faith and complex mysteries of "All Creatures of Our God and King," and just as she's not afraid to step into the musical unknown, she's sincere and assured as she considers the depth of faith expressed in these songs. It's no surprise that Downtown Church is a beautiful album, as Patty Griffin has been making beautiful albums since 1996, but here she's reaching for something deeper than she has on much her previous work, and the search that informed these 14 songs is compelling and joyous to hear, regardless of your religious convictions. ~ Mark Deming

Track Listing
1. House of Gold
2. Move Up - (featuring Jim Lauderdale/Ann McCrary/Regina McCrary/Buddy Miller)
3. Little Fire - (featuring Emmylou Harris)
4. Death's Got a Warrant - (featuring Ann McCrary/Regina McCrary)
5. If I Had My Way - (featuring Ann McCrary/Regina McCrary)
6. Coming Home to Me - (featuring Julie Miller)
7. Wade in the Water - (featuring Regina McCrary/Mike Farris)
8. Never Grow Old - (featuring Buddy Miller)
9. Virgen de Guadalupe - (featuring Raul Malo)
10. I Smell a Rat
11. Waiting for My Child
12. The - (featuring Regina McCrary/Mike Farris) Strange Man
13. We Shall Be Reunited
14. All Creatures of Our God and King

Personnel: Doug Lancio, Buddy Miller (guitar); Russ Pahl (pedal steel guitar); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); John Catchings (cello); John Deaderick (keyboards); Jay Bellerose (drums); Bryan Owings (percussion).Audio Mixer: Buddy Miller.Recording information: Buddy's Home Studio; Downtown Presbyterian Church; Studio G!.Photographer: Traci Goudie

51YU0pjMkiL._SS500_.jpg

Lifeline -- CD

Iris DeMent

2004 Flariella Records

Amazon.com

Although there's only one new original on Iris DeMent's first release in eight years, the music throughout ranks with the most personal she has made. DeMent's quavering vocals invest this collection of traditional spirituals with an unwavering conviction. "This is my story," she sings on "Blessed Assurance," written more than 130 years ago. "This is my song." In her liner notes, the Arkansas-raised artist explains how these were the first songs she remembers hearing, and that this music has always provided comfort during hard times, a comfort that isn't necessarily (or at least not narrowly) religious. On "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and "God Walks the Dark Hills," DeMent accompanies herself on stately solo piano, and the emotion is as pure as the arrangement is unadorned. On other tracks, DeMent and co-producer Jim Rooney enlist homespun support from kindred spirits such as guitarists Mark Howard and Bo Ramsey and a call-and-response chorus of harmonizers including Stuart Duncan. The self-penned composition, "He Reached Down," is a folkish recasting of the Biblical "Good Samaritan" parable. Even listeners who don't share the faith expressed in these songs will have trouble resisting the unflinching intimacy of the performances. --Don McLeese

"I've Got That Old Time Religion in My Heart" (Milsap) – 3:04
"Blessed Assurance" (Fanny Crosby) – 6:26
"Fill My Way with Love" (Sebren) – 3:02
"Hide Thou Me" (Fanny Crosby) – 5:09
"The Old Gospel Ship" (Traditional) – 3:10
"Sweet Hour of Prayer" (Walford) – 5:09
"That Glad Reunion Day" (Pace) – 2:10
"Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" (Hoffman, Showalter) – 2:53
"He Reached Down" (Iris DeMent) – 4:12
"Near the Cross" (Fanny Crosby) – 5:03
"I Never Shall Forget the Day" (Speer) – 2:42
"I Don't Want to Get Adjusted" (Massengale) – 3:38
"God Walks the Dark Hills" (Czarnikow) – 5:23

51BPPN8F3NL._SS500_.jpg

Go Tell It On The Mountain -- CD

The Blind Boys Of Alabama with Guests

2004 Realworld Records

On the surface, one might fear the taint of market-research exploitation on an album where this classic gospel group backs a variety of famous guests on well known Christmas songs, but that fear is aesthetically unfounded. The Blind Boys of Alabama, for all their soulful gravitas, function extremely well in a support role (though their "solo" track, "Last Month of the Year," is one of the most memorable moments here). Tom Waits comes off like a half-crazed preacher, throwing down the spiritual gauntlet on "Go Tell It on the Mountain." Chrissie Hynde demonstrates why she's one of the more underrated singers in rock, as she heats up "In the Bleak Midwinter." And, of course, the Aaron Neville and Mavis Staples cuts are no-brainers; how could they possibly not work? Some less expected guests include Spearhead frontman Michael Franti and the funkmaster himself, George Clinton, who brings the blues, if not the funk, to "Away in a Manger."

Track Listing
1. Last Month of the Year
2. I Pray on Christmas - (featuring Solomon Burke)
3. Go Tell It on the Mountain - (featuring Tom Waits)
4. Little Drummer Boy, The - (featuring Michael Franti)
5. In the Bleak Midwinter - (featuring Chrissie Hynde/Richard Thompson)
6. Joy to the World - (featuring Aaron Neville)
7. Born in Bethlehem - (featuring Mavis Staples)
8. Christmas Song, The - (featuring Shelby Lynne)
9. Away in a Manger - (featuring George Clinton/Robert Randolph)
10. Oh Come All Ye Faithful
11. White Christmas - (featuring Les McCann)
12. Silent Night

3ee9cd76-4479-48e0-8698-ed399fe1157c_zps56fa198c.jpg

Midnight Sugar -- SACD

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

1974/2012 First Impressions Music

One of the all time great Jazz Audiophile recordings of all time is once again available on FIM SACD! This Piano Trio will mesmerize you with this great collection of standards, superb musicianship and awesome sonics. You are sure to listen to this one over and over.

The Yamamoto Trio performing Midnight Sugar, recorded March 1, 1974 at Aoi Studio. Award Winner, Best Engineering Award, Jazz Disc Award of Swing Journal, 1974.

"This is one of the finest piano recordings I have ever heard." - Bob Bantz, President of Elusive Disc, Inc.

Features:
• 2012 Re-released SACD

Musicians:
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, piano
Isoo Fukui, bass
Tetsujiro Obara, drums

Selections:
1. Midnight Sugar
2. I'm A Fool To Want You
3. The Nearness of You
4. It Could Happen To You
5. Sweet Georgia Blues

Total Time: 39:32

MOBGCD771-Large_zps31c99a58.jpg

Tigerlily -- 24k Gold OMR CD

Natalie Merchant

1995/2007 MFSL #2663

On Tigerlily, Natalie Merchant's warm, mellow voice, and mesmerizing yet gracefully understated musical textures are sure to please even the most discerning and contemplative music listeners. Stand out tracks include the radio hits "Wonder" and "Jealousy," which have a similar sonic signature to the unique folk rock mastery of 10,000 Maniacs and "River" an absolutely touching tribute to the late River Phoenix. Mobile Fidelity's heralded GAIN 2 mastering technique has extracted every tender nuance and note from this enduring 90's classic.

Selections:
1. San Andreas Fault
2. Wonder
3. Beloved Wife
4. River
5. Carnival
6. I May Know The Word
7. The Letter
8. Cowboy Romance
9. Jealousy
10. Where I Go
11. Seven Years