• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

41RkBPKwMmL.jpg

d2f4793509a0919d804b7110.L.jpg

The Road To Ensenada -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

After the more experimental themes and misanthropic bit players populating his prior album, I Love Everybody, the songs on this superb 1996 set return to the more affable, earnest, but still knotty balance established by Lyle Lovett on his first four albums. He spins amiable yarns about his preferred headgear ("Don't Touch My Hat") and larger-than-life love objects (the one-eyed "Fiona"), sways hilariously through the backfired seductions of the samba-paced "Her First Mistake," and swings buoyantly through "That's Right (You're Not from Texas)," then ropes the equally droll Randy Newman into a tongue-in-cheek duet on "Long Tall Texan." In between, he sneaks a fresh string of dark love songs ("Private Conversation," "I Can't Love You Anymore") that sustain his formidable standards. Forget the forced issue of his putative ties to "new country": Lovett is simply one of the best American singer-songwriters extant, whether playing raconteur, philosopher king, or wounded romantic. --Sam Sutherland

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as noted.

"Don't Touch My Hat" – 3:47
"Her First Mistake" – 6:28
"Fiona" – 4:09
"That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 4:54
"Who Loves You Better" – 4:46
"Private Conversation" – 4:32
"Promises" – 3:07
"It Ought To Be Easier" – 4:11
"I Can't Love You Anymore" – 3:14
"Long Tall Texan" (Henry Strzelecki) – 3:27
"Christmas Morning" – 3:43
"The Road To Ensenada" – 10:12
"The Girl in the Corner" -- hidden at the end of track 12, following 1:30 of silence

517042.jpg

At Last -- SACD

The Gene Harris/Scott Hamilton Quintet with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown & Harold Jones

1990/2004 Concord Jazz

If anyone ever asks you what jazz is, words won’t do. Just play this music. The pulse, the flowing time that is the nurturing essence of jazz is distilled by Gene Harris, Herb Ellis, Harold Jones, and Ray Brown as they shape rhythm waves on which Scott Hamilton’s tenor glides, dives, and soars. And Gene Harris, when he solos, also rides the tides of the past as well as the powerful presence of the moment. Each of the players has a full, open, personal sound—and each always has sound in mind...It is being heralded as a lost art that has been rediscovered. But the guys on this date have never lost that art.”—Nat Hentoff (From the original 1990 liner notes)

Track listing

1. You Are My Sunshine
2. It Never Entered My Mind
3. After You've Gone
4. Lamp Is Low, The
5. At Last
6. Blues for Gene
7. I Fall in Love Too Easily
8. Some of These Days
9. Stairway to the Stars
10. Sittin' in the Sandtrap

Gene Harris (piano); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Herb Ellis (guitar); Ray Brown (double bass); Harold Jones (drums).

829c024128a0abc081f7e010.L.jpg

Tourist In Paradise -- CD

The Rippingtons Featuring Russ Freeman

1989 GRP Records

My First Rippingtons, August 15, 2005
By Armando M. Mesa (Chandler, AZ) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tourist in Paradise (Audio CD)

This cd was my introduction to the Rippingtons back in '89 (fresh out of high school---into college)...I then started to collect some of their other works. Without a doubt, from their classy Jazz Cat (retro beatnik?) mascot artwork to the actual musical material,as a whole, this cd is brilliant ! The vitality and the energy (even the subtle warmth and beauty of the slower tracks like One Night In Brazil) from this project renders each composition to be very special with absolutely no fillers. Styles range from contemporary smooth cool jazz, light pop rock (Earthbound) to a highly danceable salsa track (Aruba!) steeped in it's rich Latin ambience and rhythms really makes this an awesome and complete cd ! Tourist in Paradise is polished to perfection.

I happen to own both the cd version and the vinyl/record version (remember those?). The vinyl pressing is a trip to listen to and makes the music really come alive---now I know why jazz enthusiasts prefer the sound of vinyl over cd sometimes ! There's no elevator muzak here guys. The Rippingtons know how to really surprise and catch your attention by also creating beautiful Latin-jazz infused rhythms and tracks throughout some of their catalog releases; They do it with such genuine command and natural ease !

Out of the entire Rippingtons catalog I recommend these 4 titles: 1. Tourist In Paradise, 2. Moonlighting, 3.Life In The Tropics, 4. Wild Card.

"Tourist in Paradise" - 5:39
"Jupiter's Child" - 5:17
"Aruba!" - 4:15
"One Summer Night in Brazil" - 6:28
"Earthbound" - 4:37
"Let's Stay Together" - 4:47
"One Ocean Way" - 4:19
"Destiny" - 5:40
"The Princess" - 3:08

51LDtgjtSdL.jpg

Crazyhorse Mongoose -- HDCD

Galactic

1998 Capricorn Records

New Orleans funksters Galactic return with Crazyhorse Mongoose, the follow-up to their superb 1996 debut, Coolin' Off. While the band takes the same approach as the debut ('70s production, soulful singing from vocalist Theryl de Clouet, long but memorable instrumental jams, etc.), Crazyhorse Mongoose is the better album. Since the band tours constantly, they've grown even tighter musically. And Galactic are one of the few young bands of the '90s that plays as a unit; they know that the most important thing is to keep the song's groove going. As on their debut, de Clouet is limited to showing his vocal talents on just a few tracks ("Change My Ways," "Love On the Run," "Start From Scratch," etc.), while the talented instrumentalists of Galactic never let the red-hot funk cool down. The title track, "Quiet Please," "Meter Maid," and "Tighten Your Wig" are all prime examples of Galactic doing what they do best. ~ Greg Prato

Track Listing
1. Hamp's Hump
2. Love on the Run
3. Crazyhorse Mongoose
4. Witch Doctor
5. Metermaid
6. Change My Ways (Pt. 1)
7. Change My Ways (Pt. 2)
8. Denny's Village Rundown
9. Tighten Your Wig
10. Cafe Declouet
11. Start from Scratch
12. Quiet Please

Galactic: Theryl de Clouet (vocals); Jeff Raines (guitar); Ben Ellman (saxophone); Rich Vogel (keyboards); Robert Mercurio (bass); Stanton Moore (drums).All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology

41rWrLShuJL._SS400_.jpg

American Classic -- CD

Willie Nelson

2009 Blue Note Records

Willie sounds good singing these standards, August 25, 2009
By Robert G Yokoyama (Mililani, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: American Classic (Audio CD)

Willie sounds great on this new disc of American song standards. This music puts me in a good mood. The musicians on the disc are so good. I love Mickey Raphael on the bluesy harmonica on the track "Since I Fell You". Joe Sample plays the piano on the "On The Street Where You Live". This song is pleasant to listen to. Joe provides the musical arrangements for these tracks. Every track sounds new and fresh, so Joe does his job well here. Willie duets with Diana Krall on "If I Had You" and Norah Jones on the track "Baby It's Cold Outside". Their vocal talents give these classic tracks a sensual sound that I love. "Angel Eyes" is a song about missing a loved one. This song sounds very romantic. Because Of You is a very pretty song. I like the sax playing on this track. I like the sentimental feeling Willie sings with on the track "Come Rain Or Come Shine". "Always On My Mind" is Willie's original song. I have never heard this song featuring piano playing before, and it sounds beautiful. This is a very enjoyable disc of music from Willie Nelson.

1. "The Nearness of You" Hoagy Carmichael, Ned Washington 4:44
2. "Fly Me to the Moon" Bart Howard 2:51
3. "Come Rain or Come Shine" Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer 3:57
4. "If I Had You" (featuring Diana Krall) James Campbell, Reginald Connelly, Ted Shapiro 4:22
5. "Ain't Misbehavin'" Fats Waller, Harry Brooks, Andy Razaf 2:56
6. "I Miss You So" Jimmy Henderson, Bertha Scott, Sid Robin 4:32
7. "Because of You" Arthur Hammerstein, Dudley Wilkinson 3:24
8. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" (featuring Norah Jones) Frank Loesser 3:59
9. "Angel Eyes" Matt Dennis, Earl Brent 4:34
10. "On the Street Where You Live" Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe 2:57
11. "Since I Fell for You" Buddy Johnson 3:41
12. "Always on My Mind" Johnny Christopher, Mark James, Wayne Carson Thompson 3:28

ellington_indigos_zps82335411.jpg

Indigos -- 24/192khz DVD-A

Duke Ellington

2014 HD Tape Transfers

Title: Duke Ellington Indigos
Artist(s): Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
Recording Info: Transferred from a 15ips 2-track tape
Recorded by Columbia 1957 in NYC
Please Note: Tracks 1 & 8 had to be converted to DXD during
the mastering process for editing reasons

01. Prelude To A Kiss
02. Willow Weep For Me
03. Tenderly
04. Dancing In The Dark
05. Solitude
06. Where or When
07. Mood Indigo
08. Autumn Leaves

_12_zpsb0856b55.jpg

Entre Amigos -- Hybrid SACD

Rosa Passos & Ron Carter

2003 & 2005 Chesky Records

Rosa Passos made her recording debut as a leader in 1979, but this 2003 Chesky CD may be her first to be released outside of South America. The Brazilian singer is paired with veteran bassist Ron Carter, who provides a solid melodic foundation for her throughout the date; the delightful Brazilian guitarist Lula Galvao; percussionist Paulo Braga, and, on a few tracks, veteran session musician Billy Drewes on tenor sax or clarinet. While the focus is clearly on the soft, effective vocals of Passos, who is extremely effective in her interpretations of bossa nova classics such as "Insensatez," "Desafinado," "Caminhos Cruzados," and "O Grande Amor," Carter's solos are also subtly swinging. Not satisfied with sticking exclusively to a well known repertoire, Passos is a superb interpreter of less familiar songs like Jobim's "Por Causa de Voce" (a duet with Carter, whose playing is phenomenal on this track) and the lively "Feitio de Oracao." The warm, very intimate sound throughout this studio date makes this a particularly memorable bossa nova release. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Bahia Com H
2. Insensatez
3. Desafinado
4. Sorriu Para Mim
5. A Primeria Vez
6. Garota de Ipanema
7. Por Causa de Vocˆ
8. Caminhos Cruzados
9. Feitio de Ora‡ao
10. Eu Sei Que Vou Te Amar
11. O Grande Amor

Personnel: Rosa Passos (vocals, guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Billy Drewes (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Lula Galvao (guitar); Paulo Braga (percussion).

Botch said:
^^^ I gotta admit, that's the first time I've noticed what Lady Gaga looks like! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

^ She IS such a unique, strange, weird and incredible talent! I keep up with her to the best of my musical listening abilities. My first thoughts, you will never be Madonna, stop that! As I view her more and more, I gain respect for her, then, it goes back and forth. I need to check out 'Cheek To Cheek'.

"Butt Naked Free" by Guy Davis

31IrTvydXKL.jpg

1. Talin' 'bout Wings 'n Brew
2. Waiting On The Cards To Fall
3. Let Me Stay Awhile
4. Writing Paper Blues
5. Sometimes I Wish...
6. High Flying Rocket
7. Never Met No Woman Treats Me Like You Do
8. Sugarbelle Blue
9. Meet Me Where The River Turns
10. My Rambling Ways
11. Come On Sally Hitch A Ride
12. Ain't No Bluesman
13. The Place Where I Come From (butt Naked Free)
14. Raining In My Soul

91A8DJ-SYTL_zpse3ad8ea2.jpg

Dr. AIX talked about this album in one of his recent daily blabs, er, blogs, and apparently it was recorded by Sony in 24/96 (not in DSD (SACD) however, which the good Dr. had to gloat about (he hates it and it's a Sony invention). Would be cool to see this come out on Bluray Audio.

Today's work truck music....

ebee024128a0c5782dacf010.L.jpg

American Tune -- CD

Eva Cassidy

2003 Blix Street Records

Amazon.com

Eva Cassidy fans surely feel something akin to relief when another cache of tapes is opened for release. The singer's 1996 death at the age of 33, after all, rendered her output finite in the saddest and most frustrating way. American Tune's modus operandi is similar to previous Cassidy CDs in its mix of standard repertoire (here, everything from "Yesterday" to "God Bless the Child" and Ray Charles's "Hallelujah I Love [Him] So" rubs shoulders) and fine, less obvious choices (Joe Simon's early-'70s soul hit "Drowning in the Sea of Love"). The sometimes pedestrian backing does little to spoil the pleasure of Cassidy's pure tone and the surprises she's able to wring from the material--on the Charles tune, she even suggests a distaff Lyle Lovett. She'd no doubt be pleased to know that tracks uncovered at this point now sound like, well, notes from a missed, much-loved friend. --Rickey Wright

"Drowning in the Sea of Love" [live] (Kenneth Gamble, Leon Huff) – 4:19
"True Colors" [live] (Thomas Kelly, Billy Steinberg) – 4:50
"The Water Is Wide" [live] (Traditional) – 4:20
"Hallelujah I Love Him So" (Ray Charles) – 2:33
"God Bless the Child" [live] (Arthur Herzog Jr., Billie Holiday) – 5:17
"Dark Eyed Molly" [live] (Archie Fisher) – 3:28
"American Tune" [live] (Paul Simon) – 4:06
"It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" [live] (Duke Ellington, Irving Mills) – 2:23
"Yesterday" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 3:09
"You Take My Breath Away" [live] (Claire Hamill) – 5:39

6da1a2c008a00657832a9010.L.jpg

The Very Best of Curtis Mayfield -- CD

Curtis Mayfield

1997 Rhino Records

Timeless and perfect., June 29, 2002
By Gracejoy "gracejoy7" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of (Curtis Mayfield) (Audio CD)

Curtis Mayfield was a musical genius and this CD is a testament to his amazing ability to create powerful, engaging, funky, soulful, moving music. Mayfield is clearly the master of funk and his falsetto vocals are the baddest of bad. I have too many favorite tracks to pick just one, but I will say that "Freddie's Dead" and "Kung Fu" are alone worth the price of this CD. Most of the songs address some kind of moral or social issue and the lyrics are genuinely thought-provoking, not cliched. Some of the songs beg you to get up and dance, while others are meant for closing your eyes and just soaking it in. All of it is GREAT.

This is one of my favorite CDs of all time. If you are even remotely curious about Curtis Mayfield or funk music in general, you have to have this CD. It doesn't get any better than this.

“(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go”
“The Makings of You”
“Move on Up”
“Get Down”
“We Got to Have Peace”
“Freddie's Dead (Theme From Superfly)”
“Superfly”
“Pusherman”
“Future Shock”
“Can't Say Nothin'”
“Kung Fu”
“So In Love”
“Only You Babe”
“Do Do Wap is Strong in Here”
“Between You Baby and Me”
“Do Be Down”

I was 16 when this came out. There couldn't have been a more perfect album at that point in my life. I put it on now and I am transported back 34 years!! :music-rockout:

61sJIfuUSiL._SX522_.jpg

My son came in as the last track was playing. He knows it is AC /DC, but he found the title "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" funny. Then he says " He sounds like Dr Doofenshmirtz. Those with kids will know what he is talking about....and he is kind of right!!!

mcad64 said:

Saw on a couple places that Malcom Young has left the band (rapid dementia) but I didn't post it as I'd already been hornswaggled with his brother leaving the band awhile back.
Hope I'm wrong. Again.

3a7d820dd7a096a282b0f010.L.jpg

Hot House -- CD

Bruce Hornsby

1995 RCA Records

This album is addicting and mesmerizing., October 26, 1999

This album is both addicting and mesmerizing. From the first strains of Spider fingers to the last notes of Cruise control, Bruce Hornsby proves that he is the consumate musician and story teller. He's racked up a bunch of superior musicians and vocalists to work with here. Incuded are Jazz guitarist Pat Metheney, country Banjoist Bela Fleck and the always funky and fabulous diva Chaka Khan. All of them give stellar performances, but none outweigh the arresting presence of Bruce himself. The cd just gets better and better with each track, my favorites are "White wheeled limosine" the story of a jilted bride and "Country doctor" the story of a doctor who's wife dies under mysterious circumstances. The music is jazzy and jammin not the pop piano songs that you might expect. It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote "The way it is". Patty Hayes

All songs written by Bruce Hornsby.

"Spider Fingers"
"White Wheeled Limousine"
"Walk in the Sun"
"The Changes"
"The Tango King"
"Big Rumble"
"Country Doctor"
"The Longest Night"
"Hot House Ball"
"Swing Street"
"Cruise Control"