• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

2b4ee03ae7a0241330782210.L.jpg

Annie's Song -- CD

John Denver

1997 LaserLight Digital

What a lucky, lucky woman..., May 20, 2000
By Anastasia (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie's Song (Audio CD)

I had not intended upon leaving a review here, but after reading through Chris'(S.D., CA), I would have felt disloyal not to... I recently picked up THE John Denver CD I have been looking for, and after playing it, listening to it for the first time in what has probably been more than 15 years, and reliving it again, I found myself filled with a bittersweet sensation; yet explaining this, is not something I can do. At a young age, I knew his music; and today, at 31, I know it even better; and Annie Martell; respectfully I say, in regards to what we, the fans of J.D. see/feel, when we hear "Annie's Song" that vicariously through this melody, we feel HOW MUCH John loved you, lived for you, Zach, and Anna Kate, and lost his heart to you, the day you two met....and let the whole world in on it. I recommend this cd to anyone that can appreciate the greatest level of depth of which music is capable.

Track listing

1. Windsong
2. Annie's Song
3. Potter's Wheel
4. Two Different Directions
5. Chained to the Wheel
6. Country Girl in Paris, A
7. All This Joy
8. Thanks to You
9. Gift You Are, The
10. I Want to Live

d865c6da8da092fcfd9f0110.L.jpg

Speak of The Devil -- HDCD

Chris Isaak

1998 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Chris Isaak rocks? Indeed. Granted, the crooner's latest is no noisy, post-grunge Nirvana (though the chord progression of the opener, "Please," recalls Kurt Cobain's "Heart-Shaped Box"), but Devil does find Isaak loosening up. His gut-busting vocals on the free-for-all title track are as near to reckless as we're ever going to hear him. He's also toughening up, growling around his lower register in the death-inflected "Black Flowers." The backing band Silvertone kicks up its heels as well, most infectiously on the gleefully two-steppin' "I'm Not Sleepy." Of course, Isaak's signature shivery, quivering, and wistful ballads remain. And the singer still has a winning way with an unshakable melody. Armed with guitarist Hershel Yatovitz's poignant picking, only Isaak could turn a tired platitude like "Don't Get So Down on Yourself" into a true tearjerker. --Sue VanHecke

All tracks composed by Chris Isaak; except where indicated

"Please" – 3:34
"Flying" – 3:08
"Walk Slow" – 3:01
"Breaking Apart" (Chris Isaak/Diane Warren) – 3:45
"This Time" – 3:12
"Speak of the Devil" – 3:30
"Like the Way She Moves" – 2:49
"Wanderin'" – 2:42
"Don't Get So Down on Yourself" – 3:11
"Black Flowers" – 2:43
"I'm Not Sleepy" – 2:36
"7 Lonely Nights" – 2:09
"Talkin' 'bout a Home" – 4:44
"Super Magic 2000" – 3:45

Babs said:
Dennie said:
Today's work truck music...

cb179b4d-3dfb-4f1c-a23f-b97adec69e1f_zps4f51d03a.jpg

Entry Level -- CD

Roman Angelo

^ I must ask...what are your favorites, Dennie???

I was supposed to pick favorites? :think:

Damn it! :doh:

I'll have to get back to you on that one, as I've been (really) enjoying the album as a whole.

Dennie

Dennie said:
61wTe8ndpUL.jpg

36 All-Time Greatest Hits -- 3 CD Box Set

Jim Croce

1. I Got A Name
6. Roller Derby Queen
7. You Dont Mess Around With Jim
10. Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy
13. Operator (Thats Not The Way It Feels)
14. New Yorks Not My Home
17. Workin At The Car Wash Blues
19. Time In A Bottle
22. Lovers Cross
25. Bad Bad Leroy Brown
26. Alabama Rain
27. One Less Set Of Fotsteps
32. Photographs And Memories

Luv, Jim! Also his son, AJ. These ^ are my favorite Jim Croce songs! What a huge loss, too early in life. :cry:

51UqWMn-uaL.jpg

The Long Road Home -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD

Erning Watts

1997/2007 JVC Music

Two time Grammy winning saxophonist Ernie Watts has been quietly playing the part of an influential saxman for over 20 years. His expressive solos have graced the recordings of countless greats in nearly every genre of music. ''Music is a language,'' says Watts, ''and with language there are all these dialects - Rock, Classical, Jazz, Be-Bop and R&B among others. As for me, I'm interested in speaking all those dialects.'' On The Long Road Home, Watts returns to his favorite dialect...jazz. The results are simply glorious. Joining Watts on this blues tinged release are Kenny Barron on piano, Reggie Workman on acoustic bass, Mark Whitfield on electric guitar and Carmen Lundy, who performs two vocal numbers. This outstanding release was recorded direct to two track by XRCD co-creator Akira Taguchi and excellently showcases the superiority of the XRCD technology. Recorded live directly to two-track!

Track Listing
1. Lover Man
2. At the End of My Rope
3. River of Light
4. Nostalgia in Times Square
5. Bird's Idea
6. The Long Road Home
7. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
8. Willow Weep For Me
9. Moonlight and Shadows

.Personnel includes: Ernie Watts (saxophone); Carmen Lundy (vocals); Kenny Barron (piano); Mark Whitfield (electric guitar); Reggie Workman (acoustic bass).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

Babs said:
Dennie said:
61wTe8ndpUL.jpg

36 All-Time Greatest Hits -- 3 CD Box Set

Jim Croce

1. I Got A Name
6. Roller Derby Queen
7. You Dont Mess Around With Jim
10. Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy
13. Operator (Thats Not The Way It Feels)
14. New Yorks Not My Home
17. Workin At The Car Wash Blues
19. Time In A Bottle
22. Lovers Cross
25. Bad Bad Leroy Brown
26. Alabama Rain
27. One Less Set Of Fotsteps
32. Photographs And Memories

Luv, Jim! Also his son, AJ. These ^ are my favorite Jim Croce songs! What a huge loss, too early in life. :cry:

A friend gave me this set. Not because he knew I liked Jim, but because he never listened to it. "Too many songs he didn't know, mixed in." That is the reason I love it. I truly enjoy every song on it. Sure, I probably never need to hear "Time in a bottle" again, as I know it by heart, but "Ol Man River" has never been the same to me, since I heard Jim do it. I really enjoy listening to it every year or so.

To me, the gift was all the songs I'd never heard Jim sing/play before. :dance:

Just like John Denver, we lost them too soon.
yes.gif

Dennie :music-listening:

f71e225b9da02037e9b25110.L.jpg

The Hawk Relaxes -- Remastered 24bit CD

Coleman Hawkins

1961/2006 Prestige-Moodsville/Concord Records

Some would contend that THE HAWK RELAXES is largely mood music; it's made up almost entirely of ballads of a similar tempo. However, the quality of the music presented here automatically takes this recording (and all of the musicians) out of the limited realm of mood music.These subtle renderings of songs such as "Under a Blanket of Blue," "More Than You Know," and "Speak Low" feature not only Coleman Hawkins' inimitable thick but never hard-edged sound, but also a youthful Kenny Burrell's refined approach to the electric guitar. In fact, on the entire album, Burrell performs almost in the role of a horn player. The tenor legend and the guitarist develop quite a rapport over the course of these seven tracks. Don't be fooled by this music; it may be sleepy, but it's filled with some of the most advanced ballad playing jazz has ever fostered.

Track Listing
1. I'll Never Be the Same
2. When Day Is Done
3. Under a Blanket of Blue
4. More Than You Know
5. Moonglow
6. Just a Gigolo
7. Speak Low

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Ronnell Bright (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Andrew Cyrille (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on February 28, 1961. Originally released on Moodsville (15). Includes original release liner notes by Joe Goldberg.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

839462e89da029e3a96a2110.L.jpg

Ashes To Ashes -- CD

Joe Sample

1990 Warner Bros. Records

This was My first classic CD, please make it one of yours., March 9, 2006
By
Lloyd L. Favors "Str8-no-chaser" (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ashes to Ashes (Audio CD)
There are not many words that can tell what this album means to me. This album was a milestone in my life, thats how good it is. I bought this album in 1991, while I was in college. I have been a Jazz music lover since the age of 6 or 7. At the time I was not aware that Joe Sample was a part of the group, The Crusaders. At the time I was experimenting with new artists in an effort to broaden my collection and come across some new groups. See, trial and error was the best way to find out about stuff that your peers were not versed in. Keep in mind this was the pre-internet years. I will admit, I chose to buy the album because of the art on the album cover, other than that there was not much to go on because this name was new. But I will say, that was a gamble that paid off. From the first time I listened to that album, I was amazed. I could not believe that an album could have so many songs that were consuming. Out of the 9 songs on this album, I found myself mentally caught up in the Piano (the instrument that JS plays)on 7 of those songs, the other two songs were just plain fun. This album is the best album by a Jazz pianist I have ever heard. And ever since 1991, I have been telling everyone that can hear, Joe Sample and Ashes to Ashes is the best.

Track Listing
1. Ashes to Ashes
2. Road Less Traveled, The
3. Mother's Eyes
4. Last Child, The
5. Born in Trouble
6. Strike Two
7. I'll Love You
8. Born to Be Bad
9. Phoenix

Personnel includes: Joe Sample (keyboards); Michael Landau (guitar); Marcus Miller (electric bass); Omar Hakim (drums); Lenny Castro (percussion).

876fb220dca01f861c7e7010.L.jpg

The Sermon! -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Smith

1958/2000 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Jimmy Smith put the Hammond B-3 organ on the jazz map for good in the 1950s. The Sermon, dating from 1958, is among his best recordings, featuring the exceptional lineup of trumpeter Lee Morgan, altoist Lou Donaldson, tenorman Tina Brooks, guitarist Kenny Burrell, drummer Art Blakey, and others. Smith's smooth, vibratoless sound perfectly suits the nimble and prodding leads of the player as he touches on R&B, soul, blues and, of course, gospel. This brings us to "The Sermon," which is reason enough to seek this gem out. Smith's group takes the title tune out for a 20-minute, fully improvised, slow-blues stroll, during which each player shares the spotlight. The soul-stirring feeling set in motion by Smith rubs off on the other musicians to make this tune and album a defining moment in organ jazz, and even in soul music. The Sermon stands as a sparkling gem in the Rudy Van Gelder reissue series. --Tad Hendrickson

"The Sermon" – 20:12
"J.O.S." – 11:56
"Flamingo" – 8:02

Jimmy Smith - organ
Lee Morgan - trumpet
Lou Donaldson - alto saxophone on "The Sermon"
George Coleman - alto saxophone on "J.O.S."
Tina Brooks - tenor saxophone on "The Sermon"
Kenny Burrell - guitar on "The Sermon" and "Flamingo"
Eddie McFadden - guitar on "J.O.S."
Art Blakey - drums on "The Sermon" and "Flamingo"
Donald Bailey - drums on "J.O.S."

23141363ada00ec2ef48f010.L.jpg

Indestructible -- Remastered RVG Edition CD

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

1965/2003 Blue Note Records

Prime Blakey, Prime Blue Note December 19, 2004
By David Hewitt
Format:Audio CD

Not that one can ever really go wrong with an Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers recording, but some are stronger than others; this is among the very strongest. The lineup 'Bu' worked with here for his final Blue Note outing was probably the most prominent overall group of Messengers, with Shorter, Morgan, Workman, and Curtis Fuller on trombone. It's Fuller who contributes the first two tracks, 'The Egyptian' and 'Sortie', and along with Shorter's 'Mr. Jin', they are the strongest, most original and compelling songs on the disc. A typical Morgan romp ('Calling Miss Khadija'), a typically expressive Walton ballad ('When Love Is New'), and a bonus Shorter cut ('It's A Long Way Down', not his most memorable composition) round out the contents. The tracks are appealingly varied, though tied together by the manifest quality of the writing and playing; needless to say, Morgan, Shorter, and Fuller are consistently brilliant, imaginative soloists, and the music doesn't drag for a split-second in the album's entirety. As soon as you hear the first minor chords ring out on Walton's piano after a brief intro from Blakey in the first seconds of the opening track, there is no doubt this promises to be an exciting listen in the most classic vein of hard-bopness.

"The Egyptian" (Fuller) – 10:25
"Sortie" (Fuller) – 8:13
"Calling Miss Khadija" (Morgan) – 7:21
"When Love is New" (Walton) – 6:02
"Mr. Jin" (Shorter) – 7:04
"It's a Long Way Down" (Shorter) – 5:26 Bonus track on CD

Recorded on April 24 (#5) and May 15 (#1-4), 1964. Bonus track on April 15, 1964.

Lee Morgan — trumpet
Curtis Fuller — trombone
Wayne Shorter — tenor saxophone
Cedar Walton — piano
Reggie Workman — bass
Art Blakey — drums

e5c40cfd-7045-4d13-9270-12b43a05ee40_zps1a5c97de.jpg

The Poll Winners -- XRCD

Barney Kessel with Shelly Manne and Ray Brown

1957/1997 Contemporary/JVC Records

The Poll Winners trio was based on guitarist Barney Kessel, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Shelly Manne, who each managed to place first on his instrument in the 1956 Down Beat, Metronome, and Playboy readers' polls, a remarkable feat given the range from hardcore jazz fans to casual generalists who read the magazines. Kessel and Brown had worked together as two-thirds of the Oscar Peterson trio, and they had all played together on numerous recording sessions, but the open sound of the guitar-led trio was a special opportunity for Brown and Manne to share the foreground. Kessel was an outstanding soloist, capable of almost trumpetlike phrases delivered with rhythmic bite and flexibility--unusual in guitarists of the era. His clear, boppish lines intertwine neatly with Brown's loping pulse and Manne's lightly swinging drums, while Brown's solos are almost as dexterous as the guitarist's. It's low-key, melodic music, equally suited for casual and close listening. --Stuart Broomer

1. Jordu
2. Satin Doll
3. It Could Happen To You
4. Mean To Me
5. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
6. On Green Dolphin Street
7. You Go To My Head
8. Minor Mood
9. Nagasaki

Personnel: Barney Kessel (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Shelley Manne (drums).Recorded at Contemporary Studios, Los Angeles, California on March 18-19, 1957. Originally released on Contemporary (7535). Includes original liner notes by Nat Hentoff.Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

Happy Sunday, Dennie and all other music fans!

Going to listen to some Jim Croce while I make Zing's second batch of birthday 'Madeleines'! :drool:

m7ipTj5MKLmdjPXyS9zentA.jpg

a605419328a0c47136c4e110.L.jpg

Tracy Chapman -- CD

Tracy Chapman

1988 Elektra/Asylum Records

Absolute perfection, May 27, 2002
By Ms Diva "cycworker" (Nanaimo, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracy Chapman (Audio CD)

I genuinely don't think this disk could be any better. There is not a single song on here that isn't a work of art. I owned this on tape initially, but I had to get the CD because the tape was getting worn out, because I listened to it constantly - particulary to Baby Can I Hold You, Why, and Talking About A Revolution.

Chapman's voice is stunning, particularly on the a capella Behind The Wall, which never ceases to bring a chill down my spine. I always thought I didn't like folk music, but Chapman has made me reconsider that belief. Her lyrics are meaningful, and the collection of songs come together to form an overall feel, a mood, that is extremely moving and empowering. She exemplifies how music can bring people together and be an impetus to change, ala the greats like Bob Dylan. Make no mistake -- this is a political album and Chapman wears her left wing leanings like a badge of honour. If you can't tolerate her political views, you probably won't like the album as much as her core fans. That said, her voice and the music itself may make it possible for you to give it at least an intial listen. Chapman is more than a singer and musician - she's a poet, and her message is one that I believe we all need to heed.

I highly reccommend this album to everyone. Even if you don't agree with her politics, hopefully she'll make you think. At the very least, you'll be listening to one of the purest, best voices in modern folk/r&b/soul around today.

All songs were written by Tracy Chapman.

"Talkin' Bout a Revolution" – 2:39
"Fast Car" – 4:56
"Across the Lines" – 3:24
"Behind the Wall" – 1:49
"Baby Can I Hold You" – 3:14
"Mountains o' Things" – 4:39
"She's Got Her Ticket" – 3:56
"Why?" – 2:06
"For My Lover" – 3:12
"If Not Now..." – 3:01
"For You" – 3:09

5135DT8JN3L._SS500_.jpg

Restless -- CD

Shelby Lynne

1995 Magnatone Records

Amazon.com

Producer Brent Maher had to do something with his time after his prize clients, the Judds, broke up, and in Shelby Lynne, he has found one of the few women in Nashville who can match Wynonna Judd in vocal firepower. In 1993, Maher produced and co-wrote Lynne's Temptation, a terrific album of big-band country swing which somehow got lost in the shuffle. Lynne's sequel,Restless, is a return to the country mainstream after her left-turn detour through swing. When Lynne opens all the stops in her throat and just wails, as she does on the album's first single "Slow Me Down," there's no mistaking the sheer strength of her voice. But there's a lot more to her talent than that; she can down shift into a conversational murmur, as she does on "Talkin' to Myself," and still make you hang on every word--just by the way she maintains a full, intense tone even at the lowest volumes. Most importantly, her command of tricky rhythmic phrasing reminds one of Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson and few others in country-music history. All in all, this marks the full flowering of a major country talent and stands as one of the landmark events of 1995.--Geoffrey Himes

1. "Slow Me Down" (Stephanie Davis, Shelby Lynne, Brent Maher) – 3:14
2. "Another Chance at Love" (Maher, Allen Shamblin) – 2:25
3. "Talkin' to Myself Again" (Jamie O'Hara) – 3:18
4. "Restless" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 3:05
5. "Just for the Touch of Your Hand" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 3:56
6. "Hey Now Little Darling" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 3:02
7. "I'm Not the One" (Kent Blazy, Craig Wiseman) – 3:52
8. "Reach for the Rhythm" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 2:20
9. "Wish I Knew" (Rod McGaha) – 3:44
10. "Swingtown" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 2:34

A favorite.... :bow-blue:

51yeya5JRrL._SS500_.jpg

Just A Little Lovin' -- CD

Shelby Lynne - Inspired By Dusty Springfield

2008 Lost Highway Records

Dusty Would Be Proud!, January 29, 2008
By A* (New York, N.Y. United States)
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Just A Little Lovin' (Audio CD)

There are two ways this CD could have gone, and thankfully it's not crap. She's taking on Ms. Springfield like a seasoned heartbroken champ (which of course she is). She does it the way it should be done; every song here is sparse, fully realized and void of emptiness.

The major difference between Springfield and Lynne is in delivery, while most of what Springfield does on record is almost a heartbreaking, soulful coo. Lynne's voice is strongly powerful. Songs such as "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," with its acappella, slightly echoed, opening, tricks the ear as if it's going to break out into the loud ripping rendition that it always gets. But Lynne plays it down, turns up regret and conviction in her voice and it's now a country torch ballad.

"Breakfast in Bed" is still a sultry, slippery ode, but Shelby's vocals are so assured, turning the lyrics almost into a demand and it works.

The show-stopper is her take on "Anyone Who Had a Heart." She keeps this song just under a boil, a languid piano, and vocals just above a drawl; it's perfection .. she plays it soft until her voice just soars for a brief moment, before falling back down to heartache, truly showing off the complete vision of this album.

You can see what Lynne takes from her love of Springfield: both women were and still are under-appreciated vocalists who deserve bigger audiences. It takes guts to take on an artist's most definable material and Lynne doesn't flinch once!

1 "Just a Little Lovin'" Dusty in Memphis 5:19
2 "Anyone Who Had a Heart" A Girl Called Dusty 3:13
3 "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" You Don't Have to Say You Love Me 4:11
4 "I Only Want to Be with You" Stay Awhile/I Only Want to Be with You 3:50
5 "The Look of Love" The Look of Love 3:21
6 "Breakfast in Bed" Dusty in Memphis 3:21
7 "Willie and Laura Mae Jones" See All Her Faces 4:08
8 "I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" Dusty in Memphis 4:37
9 "Pretend" 3:06
10 "How Can I Be Sure" On audio single "How Can I Be Sure" (1970) 3:37

4195XA2WSAL_zpse7d50fbb.jpg

Cinema: A Romantic Vision -- CD

Dori Caymmi

1999 Zebra Records

Dori Caymmi is a veteran guitarist, singer, composer and arranger who has successfully married the popular musical forms of his native Brazil with American jazz. On Cinema: A Romantic Vision, Caymmi offers gentle interpretations of familiar tunes associated with the movies.

With 10 recognizable melodies done up in Caymmi's soulful Brazilian style, Cinema is a soothing listen. The artist's distinctive chordal approach on acoustic guitar is prominently featured, and his arrangements are lush and impressionistic. Select songs also feature strings, horns, backing vocals, and Caymmi's wordless singing. Musicians include Don Grusin and Billy Childs on keyboards, Tom Scott and Gary Meek on saxophones, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Michael Schapiro on drums, and Paulhino Da Costa on percussion.

A popular performer and film composer in his native Brazil, Caymmi carries on in the venerable tradition of his father and another major influence, Antonio Carlos Jobim. Covers of songs such as "Pink Panther," "My Favorite Things," and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" are easy-going but elegant.

Flavored with lilting samba and bossa beats, subtle dashes of pop-jazz, and intricate instrumentation, Cinema rouses that sublime wistfulness the Brazilians call saudade.

Record Label: Zebra Records

1. The Pink Panther: Pink Panther
2. The Sound Of Music: My Favorite Things
3. James Bond: James Bond (Main Theme)
4. Cinema Paradiso: Cinema Paradiso
5. West Side Story: Something's Coming
6. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly
7. Black Orpheus: Manha De Carnaval
8. Tootsie: It Might Be You
9. The Sandpiper: The Shadow Of Your Smile
10. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
11. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly (w/Vocal)

Personnel includes: Dori Caymmi (vocals, acoustic guitar); Carmen Bradford, Arnold McCuller (vocals); Gary Meek (soprano & alto saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet); Scott Mayo (soprano saxophone, background vocals); Billy Childs (piano); Don Grusin (keyboards); Tim Weston (electric guitar); Abraham Laboriel (bass); Michael Shapiro (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (percussion); Tom Scott.Recorded at Entourage Studio, North Hollywood, California; Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, California."Pink Panther" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement

Today's work truck music.....

2ff2e03ae7a0fc322a0fb110.L.jpg

The Very Best of Linda Ronstadt -- CD

Linda Ronstadt

2002 Elektra Records

Amazon.com

Linda Ronstadt, who emerged from SoCal's vaunted early-'70s country-folk scene, became the American female rock superstar of the Me Decade. After the initial success of the Stone Poneys' Michael Nesmith-penned "Different Drum," Ronstadt expanded her horizons through interpretations of a long string of successful pop and R&B covers. Along the way she championed emerging songwriters like Warren Zevon ("Poor Poor Pitiful Me") and contemporary favorites like Neil Young ("Love Is a Rose") in the bargain. As the formula waned with the changing tastes of the '80s, she briefly turned to new wave before stepping boldly back to the pop standards of the '30s, '40s, and '50s. Unfortunately, this collection inexplicably skips over that three-album collaboration with arranger-conductor Nelson Riddle, a body of work that presaged the 1990s' lounge-pop revival by a full decade--and outclassed it by miles. It also eschews a compelling contemporary Latin chapter of her career in favor of her winning collaborations with Aaron Neville ("Don't Know Much" and "All My Life") and less successful AC fodder like "Winter Light" and "Somewhere Out There" with James Ingram. A good primer to Ronstadt's immense vocal talents and recording history, but one that's flawed by some crucial missing chapters. --Jerry McCulley

1. "You're No Good" (1974) – 3:44
2. "It's So Easy" (1977) – 2:28
3. "Blue Bayou" (1977) – 3:56
4. "Don't Know Much" (duet with Aaron Neville) (1989) – 3:33
5. "Somewhere Out There" (duet with James Ingram) (1986) – 3:59
6. "When Will I Be Loved" (1974) – 2:09
7. "(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" (1975, 2007) – 2:45
8. "Different Drum" (with The Stone Poneys) (1967) – 2:38
9. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (1977, 2007) – 3:42
10. "The Tracks of My Tears" (1975, 2007) – 3:14
11. "After the Gold Rush" (with Valerie Carter and Emmylou Harris) (2007) – 3:33
12. "Long Long Time" (1970) – 4:22
13. "Just One Look" (1995/96) – 3:17
14. "Heart Like a Wheel" (1974, 2007) – 3:09
15. "Back in the U.S.A." (1995/96) – 3:01
16. "That'll Be the Day" (1976) – 2:34
17. "Hurt So Bad" (1980, 2007) – 3:16
18. "All My Life" (duet with Aaron Neville) (1989) – 3:30
19. "Ooo Baby Baby" (1995/96) – 3:19
20. "The Blue Train" (1995) – 3:37
21. "How Do I Make You" (1980, 2007) – 3:37
22. "Desperado" (1973) – 3:37
23. "Winter Light" (1995) – 3:16