• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Dennie said:
Today's work truck music...

cb179b4d-3dfb-4f1c-a23f-b97adec69e1f_zps4f51d03a.jpg

Entry Level -- CD

Roman Angelo

2014 Roman Angelo Records

Is it just me, or does that guy look like Zing?

Randy said:
Is it just me, or does that guy look like Zing?
Something tells me you're not being funny but are sincerely asking a genuine question.

Tell me I'm wrong. Please.

Today's work truck music....

51oQuPs6IpL._SS500_.jpg

Stars & Guitars - Live -- CD

Willie Nelson & Friends

2002 Lost Highway Records

Amazon.com

An A-list of musically diverse acolytes surrounds the venerable country icon on this concert recording, which pays richer dividends than its studio-album predecessor, The Great Divide. Artists from Sheryl Crow to Norah Jones and Vince Gill to Keith Richards help celebrate one of the richest legacies in American music. Though some hit-and-miss is inevitable, the teaming with Richards, Ryan Adams, and Hank Williams III on "Dead Flowers" romps all over the Rolling Stones' original, while the duet with mentor Ray Price, who enjoyed an early hit with Nelson's "Night Life," shows a sense of history too often missing from such demographic-driven projects. Other highlights include the sweet-voiced balladry of Jones on "Lonestar" and a luminous rendition of "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain" by Gill. As for the misfires: Adams and Nelson sound like they're in different keys on Jimmy Cliff's "The Harder They Come"; Toby Keith isn't even a poor man's Waylon Jennings on "Good Hearted Woman"; and the very idea of Matchbox Twenty singing "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" is ludicrous. Even when the material and guest vocalists don't mesh, Nelson's guitar punctuation remains an understated (and underrated) delight. --Don McLeese

1. "Whiskey River" (Johnny Bush, Paul Stroud) - 2:39
* duet with Sheryl Crow
2. "Good Hearted Woman" (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson) - 4:09
* duet with Toby Keith
3. "Maria (Shut Up and Kiss Me)" (Rob Thomas) - 4:01
* duet with Rob Thomas
4. "Mendocino County Line" (Matt Serletic, Bernie Taupin) - 4:30
* duet with Lee Ann Womack
5. "Always on My Mind" (Johnny Christopher, Mark James, Wayne Carson Thompson) - 3:53
* duet with Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora
6. "Night Life" (Walt Breeland, Paul Buskirk, Nelson) - 4:25
* duet with Ray Price
7. "Dead Flowers" (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards) - 4:55
* duet with Ryan Adams and Hank Williams III
8. "Lonestar" (Lee Alexander) - 3:33
* duet with Norah Jones
9. "Stardust" (Hoagy Carmichael, Mitchell Parish) - 4:17
* duet with Aaron Neville
10. "Don't Fade Away" (Kevin Kadish, Serletic) - 4:27
* duet with Brian McKnight
11. "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" (Nelson) - 4:26
* duet with Patty Griffin
12. "For What It's Worth" (Steve Stills) - 4:25
* duet with Sheryl Crow
13. "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" (Ed Bruce, Patsy Bruce) - 4:26
* duet with Matchbox Twenty
14. "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" (Fred Rose) - 3:09
* duet with Vince Gill
15. "Till I Gain Control Again" (Rodney Crowell) - 5:48
* duet with Emmylou Harris
16. "The Harder They Come" (Jimmy Cliff) - 4:26
* duet with Ryan Adams
17. "On the Road Again" (Nelson) - 2:27
18. "Move It On Over" (Hank Williams) - 4:58

screen-shot-2014-09-24-at-1-04-42-pm.png

Spent the money and got the 5.1 Bluray Surround. I know the songs on this disk were recorded during the Division Bell sessions (Richard was still alive) but they didn't make the album, so they might be a bit second-rate, we'll see. What I'm hearing from the intro/first track so far sounds gorgeous. :music-listening:

^ Ordered!

Until it arrives, Morgan James is blowing my mind, especially her cover of Prince's "Call My Name". She knocked it out of the (paisley) park!

MORGAN%20JAMES-%20HUNTER_HR.jpg

Additionally, there's no shame in her cover of Hall & Oates' "She's Gone" and Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" but even they pale in comparison to to "Call My Name".

For a cute little white girl, she's got it goin' on!

Today's work truck music.....

71SDz3wYV0L.jpg

Greatest Hits - Rock 'n Soul Part 1 -- CD

Daryl Hall & John Oates

1983/1990 RCA Records

Amazon.com

Raised on Philly soul, Daryl Hall and John Oates hit their stride in the mid-'70s, when they abandoned the misguided folkish direction of their early albums for a sound that accurately reflected their roots in mainstream pop and smooth R&B--"rock 'n' soul" as they accurately called it. A string of brilliant hits followed, from the gorgeous "Sara Smile" and "She's Gone" to the wicked, finger-pointing "Rich Girl" and "Maneater" to Top 40 manna such as "Kiss on My List," "Private Eyes," and "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)." At only 12 tracks, this best-of collection is a little skimpy, but it'll do until the inevitable Hall & Oates box set arrives. --Daniel Durchholz

"Say It Isn't So" - 4:17 (Daryl Hall)
"Sara Smile" - 3:07 (Hall, Oates)
"She's Gone" - 3:24 (Hall, Oates)
"Rich Girl" - 2:23 (Hall)
"Kiss on My List" - 3:48 (Hall, Janna Allen)
"You Make My Dreams" - 3:10 (Hall, Oates, Sara Allen)
"Private Eyes" - 3:29 (Hall, S. Allen, J. Allen, Warren Pash)
"Adult Education" - 5:39 (Hall, Oates, S. Allen)
"I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" - 3:39 (Hall, Oates, S. Allen, J. Allen)
"Maneater" - 4:34 (Hall, Oates, S. Allen)
"One on One" - 3:53 (Hall)
"Wait for Me (Live Version)" - 6:09 (Hall)

Today's work truck music....

94e7793509a0e3dd5d063110.L.jpg

Full Moon Fever -- CD

Tom Petty

1989 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Ten years had passed since Petty's last solid outing (*** the Torpedoes in 1979), and Full Moon Fever fully resuscitated the artist's career, which--some would say "arguably"--had been losing steam. With the album's four major hits and rave reviews from the critics (these things do not always go hand-in-hand), Petty must have breathed a sigh of relief. He left the Heartbreakers behind, hooked up with musician, writer, and producer Jeff Lynne, and rocked out with "Runnin' Down a Dream," got mellow and introspective on "Free Fallin'" and "A Face in the Crowd," and paid tribute (finally) to the Byrds with a cover of "Feel a Whole Lot Better." He perfected the sing-along guitar-pop song on "Yer So Bad" and had a wild time on "Zombie Zoo." Pure Petty perfection! --Lorry Fleming

All songs written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, except as indicated.[2]

"Free Fallin'" – 4:14
"I Won't Back Down" – 2:56
"Love Is a Long Road" (Mike Campbell, Petty) – 4:06
"A Face in the Crowd" – 3:58
"Runnin' Down a Dream" (Campbell, Lynne, Petty) – 4:23
"I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" (Gene Clark) – 2:47
"Yer So Bad" – 3:05
"Depending on You" (Petty) – 2:47
"The Apartment Song" (Petty) – 2:31
"Alright for Now" (Petty) – 2:00
"A Mind with a Heart of Its Own" – 3:29
"Zombie Zoo" – 2:56

"Hello, CD listeners…"

Early pressings of the album on compact disc contain a hidden track at the beginning of track 6. The interlude, which is referred to in the album credits as "Attention CD Listeners", features a brief tongue-in-cheek monologue by Petty, over a background of barnyard noises:

Hello, CD listeners. We've come to the point in this album where those listening on cassette, or records, will have to stand up, or sit down, and turn over the record. Or tape. In fairness to those listeners, we'll now take a few seconds before we begin side two. [pause] Thank you. Here's side two.

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

1034995_zps9c9cd1ff.jpg

Jazz At The Philharmonic - Frankfurt 1952 -- CD

Lester Young...

1997 Pablo Records

This is a previously unreleased concert performance catching the J.A.T.P. troupe (this time featuring Lester Young, Flip Phillips, Roy Eldridge, Hank Jones, Ray Brown, Max Roach and an uncredited Irving Ashby on guitar) on the last night of their European tour of 1952. After Norman Granz' introductions to an enthusiastic Frankfurt audience, the group kicks off with a swinging version of "How High the Moon" that goes on for some 11 minutes. This is followed by "Undecided," taken at an even faster pace but still clocking in at almost 12 minutes and featuring an extraordinary solos by Eldridge and Young. A "Ballad Medley" is next, spotlighting four selections interpreted as solo turns. Flip Phillips starts thing off with a nice reading of "Deep Purple," segueing into Roy Eldridge's take on "Rockin' Chair." Next up is Hank Jones' nice, understated version of "This Is Always," which sets the stage for Lester Young's stunning "I Cover the Waterfront." The concert closes with an uptempo "Dre's Blues," which speeds up to an almost impossible tempo after Max Roach's drum solo. All in all, another classic entry in this long-standing series that languished in the vaults for far too long. ~ Cub Koda

Track Listing
1. Introduction by Norman Granz
2. How High the Moon
3. Undecided
4. Ballad Medley: Deep Purple / Rockin' Chair / This Is Always / I Cover The Waterfront
5. Dre's Blues

Performers include: Lester Young, Flip Phillips, Roy Eldridge, Hank Jones, Hank Jones, Ray Brown, Max Roach.Recorded live in Frankfurt, Germany in 1952.

51VbUSCBrbL.jpg

Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio -- Remastered 20bit CD

1953/1997 Verve Master Edition

It could be argued that the modern saxophonist makes some musical allusion to Lester Young--no matter how remote or indirect--in every solo rendered. On this release (1952), we hear the legendary "President of the saxophone" in great company. One can't get much more polished and refined than the Oscar Peterson Quartet (the album's title is incorrect; we do not hear a trio on this recording).Indeed, Young is superbly accompanied by Peterson on piano, Barney Kessel on guitar, Ray Brown on bass, and J.C. Heard on drums. Highlights on WITH THE OSCAR PETERSON TRIO include the somber ballad version of "There Will Never Be Another You" and the lively "Tea for Two." Finally, on "(It Takes) Two to Tango" we hear Young singing: a very rare treat. His bawdy improvised lyrics and carefree delivery are quite charming, as are the number of very funny outtakes from the session itself.

Track Listing
1. Ad Lib Blues
2. I Can't Get Started
3. Just You, Just Me
4. Almost Like Being in Love
5. Tea For Two
6. There Will Never Be Another You
7. Indiana, (Back Home Again in)
8. On the Sunny Side of the Street
9. Stardust
10. I'm Confessin'
11. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
12. These Foolish Things
13. Two To Tango (It Takes) / Two To Tango (It Takes) - (rehearsal/false start chatter/master take)
14. I Can't Get Started - (previously unreleased, false start)

Personnel: Lester Young (vocals, tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); J. C. Heard (drums).Recorded in New York, New York in November 1952. Includes liner notes by Douglas Henry Daniels.

127302f.jpg

Take It From The Top -- CD

Bob James Trio

2004 Tappan Zee/Koch Records

Amazon.com

Pianist/composer Bob James made his fame as top-selling smooth jazz pioneer and his theme song to the TV show Taxi is one of the most familiar melodies in syndication. But his roots are in straight-ahead jazz. On this CD with bassist James Genus and drummer Billy Kilson, James pays tribute to his piano heroes and drops some surprises into the mix. His treatment of Nat "King" Cole's "Straighten Up and Fly Right," is driven by hip-hop rimshots, and Mal Waldron's classic ballad "Soul Eyes" is syncopated with a Latin lilt. James's most impressive act of syncopated subversion is his take on the Petula Clark hit "Downtown." Somehow Bob James manages to keep it smooth and jazzy. --Eugene Holley, Jr.

Track listing

1. Billy Boy
2. Straighten Up and Fly Right
3. Downtown
4. Tenderly
5. Nardis
6. Poinciana
7. Caravan
8. Soul Eyes
9. Django

Botch said:
screen-shot-2014-09-24-at-1-04-42-pm.png

Spent the money and got the 5.1 Bluray Surround. I know the songs on this disk were recorded during the Division Bell sessions (Richard was still alive) but they didn't make the album, so they might be a bit second-rate, we'll see. What I'm hearing from the intro/first track so far sounds gorgeous. :music-listening:
Did you end up disappointed like I am?

That's $30 and an hour+ of my life I can't get back.

Dennie said:
127302f.jpg

Take It From The Top -- CD

Bob James Trio

Got this one a little while ago, probably based on your rec (though I have at least one of his other albums), and I am really LOVING this album. Meaning it's probably now in my top 10 favorite jazz albums. Great music, fantastic playing, and excellent SQ. Doesn't get much better!

As always Dennie, thanks for helping me explore the world of jazz!

Back