• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

You're both right. The Anthology album was originally released in '85 but it contains songs originally released in the 70's.

Happy Thanksgiving eve everyone... :banana-dance:

61ogX0amnBL.jpg

The Best of... -- CD

The Spencer Davis Group

1987 EMI/America Records

Classic sixties R+B January 10, 2006
By Peter Durward Harris HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD

The Spencer Davis Group were one of several excellent British R+B bands of the sixties. Best remembered in Britain for Keep on running (one of the best songs of the sixties, regardless of genre), by the time they started to make an impression in America, they were on the verge of losing their key man, Steve Winwood.

They actually had two number one hits in Britain (Keep on running and Somebody help me) and several other big hits, including Strong love (not included here), Every little bit hurts (a cover of the Brenda Holloway song), Gimmie some lovin' (a remixed version of which was a hit in America) and I'm a man (also a hit in America).

In 1967, Steve Winwood quit to form a new band, Traffic. The other band members struggled on for a while, but those recordings are not included here (and are not as good).

This is a nice introduction to the Spencer Davis Group. If you enjoy it a lot, there is a double CD, 8 gigs a week, which contains all the music they recorded while Steve Winwood was a member of the group.

Track Listing
1. Gimme Some Lovin'
2. Searchin'
3. Keep on Running
4. I Can't Stand It
5. Strong Love
6. Every Little Bit Hurts
7. I'm a Man
8. Back into My Life Again
9. Trampoline
10. Somebody Help Me
11. When I Come Home
12. Stevie's Blues
13. This Hammer (The Hammer Song)
14. Waltz for Lumumba
15. Goodbye Stevie

Personnel: Steve Winwood (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Muff Winwood, Spencer Davis (vocals, guitar); Pete York (drums).Liner Note Author: Alan Warner.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

print-cove22cfd7-580-1.jpg

The Harrow & The Harvest -- CD

Gillian Welch

2011 Acony Records

silver and copper and a heart of gold,
June 28, 2011
By Matthew
This review is from: The Harrow & The Harvest (Audio CD)

one of things i noticed reading the other reviews is
the songs that have resonated most with me are not the same as
some of the ones that have resonated with others-- which is to
say this is a dynamic album that will touch everyone in different
ways. i've been dying for this record. they've been playing
"the way it will be" live since the time of soul journey, 8 years ago.
i've listened to the record three times since yesterday
(i don't want to overdo it). gillian's voice in a room, with
two guitars, a banjo, some hands, whatever.. it cuts to my core
and so my review will be biased because her lilts and syncopated
notes walk the edge of despair and something silver. for me, her
soulfulness resonates in a similar realm as that of otis redding-
for different reasons of course.

pretty much, i just want to thank gillian and david for putting
out another record. from the stunningly pretty guitar work on
"scarlet town" (whatever key that's in makes david's guitar
sound like copper pennies falling into a well.)
to the acid, lonesome message of "the way it will be" to
the timely and timeless, soul-stirring "hard times"--
and everything in between.

i'm grateful for this music.

"Scarlet Town" 3:38
"Dark Turn Of Mind" 4:07
"The Way It Will Be" 4:47
"The Way It Goes" 4:01
"Tennessee" 6:35
"Down Along The Dixie Line" 4:49
"Six White Horses" 3:38
"Hard Times" 4:52
"Silver Dagger" 3:23
"The Way The Whole Thing Ends" 6:11

I luv it! Dennie has his Santa hat on!! :banana-rock:

I am not listening to Christmas music while prepping the final things before I take the turkey out. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Just finish d listening to...

51URjH5CbML.jpg

bdf7810ae7a0acc883450210.L.jpg

Alice's Restaurant

Arlo Guthrie

1967 Reprise Records

Family Tradition, November 19, 2004
By Lisa M. Piquette "eosaurora" (Centereach, New York United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Alice's Restaurant (Audio CD)

Since I was born, every Thanksgiving at noon a local radio station has played Alice's Restaurant. I think this is the most solid traditio in my family. The song is hysterical. My mom has always loved it and whenever I tell people in my generation, like my fiance, that they must listen to it, they look at me like I am insane. But it is a classic song that has enhanced my life. When I went to buy the song for my mom I found this CD, which also had the Motorcyle Song, that my mom used to sing when I was really little and I had never heard the actual thing. So if your kids have never heard this, tell them it is great and make them listen to it, they will at least laugh. And in a time when the draft may come back, they may need to hear his brief experience in a funny way...

All tracks composed by Arlo Guthrie.

"Alice's Restaurant Massacree" – 18:20
"Chilling of the Evening" – 3:01
"Ring-Around-a-Rosy Rag" – 2:10
"Now and Then" – 2:15
"I'm Going Home" – 3:12
"The Motorcycle Song" – 2:58
"Highway in the Wind" – 2:40

c32f224b9da0eaa23f93c010.L.jpg

Soul Journey -- CD

Gillian Welch

2003 Acony Records

Amazon.com

Blessed with a soulful and expressive voice and an innate grasp of the melodies and themes of traditional country music, Gillian Welch has made three beautiful, often brilliant, albums. Yet, one can make the case that she's still searching for her own true artistic voice. Soul Journey brings her ever closer to that elusive goal. After 2001's austere, solemn, at times inscrutable Time (The Revelator), this follow-up finds Welch showing more warmth, ease, and openness as both singer and songwriter. As the title portends, the concept of travel (physical and emotional) is a prevailing thread throughout these 10 tracks; she sings of rolling stones "on the road to sin," travelers on "black highways," girls "running around with the ragtop down" and "at the station rolling slow." These characters, perhaps autobiographical, are simultaneously searching for and running away from their pasts, while soft drums, fiddles, organs, and Dobros add a welcome bit of lightness. With the trusty David Rawlings again at Welch's side, the songwriting and production till the earth between their old-time heroes and more modern troubadours like Townes Van Zandt and Neil Young (both the bucolic strummer and, on the closing "Wrecking Ball," the ragged electric wanderer). For Welch and for us, Soul Journey is yet another fascinating rest stop on the never-ending road to self-discovery. --Marc Greilsamer

e6c3224b9da00ba23f93c010.L.jpg

ab9b51c88da0392294103210.L.jpg

Brotherhood -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1995 Concord Records

The Gene Harris Quartet was quite consistent in its many Concord recordings of the 1990s. The group on this disc (pianist Harris, guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Luther Hughes, and drummer Paul Humphrey) performs soulful and bluesy versions of such songs as "I Remember You," "The Brotherhood of Man," Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder," and even "September Song." All of Harris' records from this era are easily recommended to fans of soul-jazz, soulful hard bop, and blues-oriented jazz. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. I Remember You
2. For Once in My Life
3. The Brotherhood of Man
4. When You Wish Upon a Star
5. The Sidewinder
6. I Told You So
7. September Song
8. This Little Light of Mine
9. A Beautiful Friendship

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Luther Hughes (bass); Paul Humphrey (drums).Recorded at Master Track Studios, Hayward, California on August 4 & 5, 1992. Includes liner notes by Chris Albertson.

510a9tDXOVL._SS500_.jpg

It Looks Like Snow -- CD

Phoebe Snow

1976/1989 Columbia Records

David Rubinson's production of Phoebe Snow on the 1976 release It Looks Like Snow is an overpowering collection of pop-jazz-funk-folk that puts this amazing vocalist's talents in a beautiful light. Whether it's the Bowen/Bond/Hazel blues classic &"Shakey Ground," which Elton John, Etta James, and so many others have explored, or her exquisite interpretation of the Beatles' &"Don't Let Me Down," there is no doubt the material here should have ruled on the airwaves the year after her Top Five smash, &"Poetry Man." How could Columbia Records not have this material saturating radio across America is the question. There are string arrangements by Sonny Burke and horn arrangements by Kurt McGettrick; the guests galore -- from David Bromberg and Ray Parker, Jr. on guitars (along with Snow, Greg Poree, and Steve Burgh) to David Pomeranz on keys -- make the Snow/Pomeranz co-write &"Mercy on Those" into a majestic and extra-special showstopper. The singer's solo composition &"Drink Up the Melody (Bite the Dust, Blues)" has her dipping into Maria Muldaur territory, and a duet between the two divas here would've been sensational. &"My Faith Is Blind," soaked in gospel introspection, takes the album to another level with its soul searching and sense of spiritual discovery. It Looks Like Snow is a major work from a fabulous performer traversing styles and genres with ease and elegance. The loving mom appears with her daughter on the back cover in a photo by collaborator Phil Kearns Joe Viglione, Rovi

1 Autobiography (Shine, Shine, Shine) Snow 5:15
2 Teach Me Tonight Cahn, DePaul 4:30
3 Stand Up on the Rock Snow, Kearns 3:58
4 In My Girlish Days Lawlars 4:48
5 Mercy on Those Snow, Pomeranz 6:06
6 Don't Let Me Down Lennon, McCartney 5:51
7 Drink Up the Melody (Bite the Dust, Blues) Snow 5:51
8 Fat Chance Snow, Kearns 2:56
9 My Faith Is Blind Snow 5:54
10 Shakey Ground Hazel, Bond, Bowen, Boyd, Boyd 4:18

51b2bpg2m%2BL.jpg

New York Reunion -- CD

McCoy Tyner

1991 Chesky Records

Pianist McCoy Tyner and tenor-saxophonist Joe Henderson had not recorded together in over two decades when they finally met up for this Chesky CD. With strong assistance from bassist Ron Carter and drummer Al Foster, Tyner and Henderson make for a perfect team on four originals by group members (including the tenor's classic "Recorda Me") and four superior standards. The advanced hard bop music is as rewarding as one would expect. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Recorda Me (Remember Me)
2. Miss Bea
3. What Is This Thing Called Love?
4. My Romance
5. Ask Me Now
6. Beautiful Love
7. Quick Sketch, A
8. Home

Personnel: McCoy Tyner (piano); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Ron Carter (bass); Al Foster (drums).Recorded At RCA Studio A, New York, New York on April 3-4, 1991. Includes liner notes by Bret Primack.

51W6hbXoulL.jpg

Things Are Getting Better -- SACD

Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson

1958/2004 Riverside Records

Of course, alto saxophonist Julian "Cannonball" Adderley played with Miles Davis on several classic sessions, and his collaborations with Bill Evans on 1961's KNOW WHAT I MEAN and with Wes Montgomery on 1960's THE POLLWINNERS are widely beloved. But this 1958 date, where Adderley and vibraphonist Milt "Bags" Jackson go head to head, may be the finest of Adderley's collaborative sessions.Jackson, forever remembered as an integral member of the Modern Jazz Quartet, is the greatest vibes player in jazz history. He creates powerful solos with the distinctively mellow percussion instrument. Jackson's inimitable playing meshes beautifully with Adderley's hard-bop style, whether on such originals as "Groovin' High" or on standards like Cole Porter's "Just One of those Things." Any album featuring either of these players is worth hearing. An album showcasing both--with powerhouse drummer Art Blakey, bassist Percy Heath, and pianist Wynton Kelly, to boot--is an absolute must-own.

Track Listing
1. Blues Oriental
2. Things Are Getting Better
3. Serves Me Right - (take 5)
4. Serves Me Right - (take 4, bonus track)
5. Groovin' High
6. Sidewalks of New York, The - (take 5)
7. Sidewalks of New York, The - (Take 4, bonus track)
8. Sounds for Sid
9. Just One of Those Things

Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Percy Heath (acoustic bass); Art Blakey (drums).Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York, New York on October 28, 1958. Originally released on Riverside (1128). Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1989, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

61Ej00cW7LL.jpg

A John Prine Christmas -- CD

John Prine

2009 Oh Boy Records

For anyone who'd lost track of John Prine after the 1970s, the idea of a rather cynical singer/songwriter recording a holiday album must have seemed a rather odd one. But Prine, while never relinquishing his wry sense of humor, had mellowed quite a bit since writing about getting kicked off of Noah's ark in "Sweet Revenge." Besides, by 1988 he had his own record company, and it's always nice to have a perennial favorite in the catalog. The first two songs are originals and are probably the best songs on the album, with Prine once again offering his observations on relationships gone sour. The first, though, surprisingly relates that even though the narrator's girl dumped him a year ago on Christmas, he's learned to go on with his life. The bitterness, however, creeps back in to "All the Best." Prine opens this live piece with a funny monolog about him and a friend nailing a train set to the dining room table, and then delves into a sad story of love thrown away like yesterday's Christmas tree. He also includes a new version of "Christmas in Prison," a solid song from his third album, Sweet Revenge. The remainder of the album is filled with holiday classics, including a fun take on "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." The downside of the album is that it's awful short -- 32 minutes -- and even then, one of the songs -- a duo with Margo Timmins on "If You Were the Woman and I Was the Man" -- doesn't even come close to fitting the holiday spirit (though it may have fit on the Dirty Santa soundtrack). Still, this isn't the run-of-the-mill holiday product, and Prine can still write a good song when he sets his mind to it. Old fans will be glad to see that even cynics can age gracefully. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing
1. Everything Is Cool
2. All the Best
3. Silent Night All Day Long
4. If You Were the Woman and I Was the Man
5. Silver Bells
6. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
7. Christmas in Prison
8. A John Prine Christmas

51FAADYBR1L._SL500_.jpg

Breath of Heaven -- A Holiday Collection -- CD

Grover Washington Jr.

1997 Columbia Records

BREATH OF HEAVEN was nominated for a 1998 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Jazz Performance.Grover Washington, Jr. was probably the most successful "smooth jazz" artist of his generation. His blend of R&B, soul, pop, and jazz earned him a glowing reputation with consumers and "quiet storm" DJs. His discography boasts three decades of creative and heartfelt albums.At some point in most artists' careers, they find themselves recording a holiday album (or at least a tune or two with a festive theme). A funky yet serene release, BREATH OF HEAVEN is Washington's contribution to the vast canon of Christmas albums. Highlights include the title track, "Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song)," which features a beautiful vocal performance by Lisa Fisher. Washington's fusion version of "I Wonder as I Wander" is also one of the standout tracks on this album, with the tenor man displaying his skill as a straight-ahead jazz soloist. Smart performances are also turned in by the likes of Will Lee on electric bass and Hiram Bullock on guitar.

Track Listing
1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
2. Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song)
3. Love in His Infant Eyes
4. Away in a Manger
5. I Wonder as I Wander
6. Christmas Time Is Here
7. Magi's Song-a Child Is Born
8. Jesu (Joy of Man's Desiring)
9. Christmas Song
10. Christmas Waltz
11. Christmas Day Chant
12. Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) - Instrumental Version

Personnel: Grover Washington, Jr. (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Dawn Andrews (vocals, cello); Lisa Fischer (vocals); Joe Locke (vibraphone, marimba, keyboards, chimes); Billy Childs, Donald Robinson (piano, keyboards); Hiram Bullock (keyboards, acoustic & electric guitars); Adam Holzman (synthesizer); Richard Lee Steacker (guitar); Will Lee, Gerald Veasley (bass); Steve Wolf, Victor Lewis (drums); Pablo Batista (conga, percussion); Bashiri Johnson (percussion).

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

510H-X23H6L.jpg

Jazz In The Key Of Blue -- SACD

Jimmy Cobb Quartet

2009 Chesky Records

The veteran drummer Jimmy Cobb is partnered by trumpeter Roy Hargrove, guitarist Russell Malone and bassist John Webber for this collection of warm, laidback standards.

A superb, mostly self-taught musician, Jimmy Cobb is the elder statesman of all the incredible Miles David bands. Cobb's inspirational work with Miles, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley and co. spanned 1957 until 1963 and included the masterpiece Kind Of Blue, the most popular jazz recording in history.

This studio recording features the famous drummer with a mellow group that features mesmerizing interplay between Hargrove's spaciously-blown lines, and Malone's slow-burning and chromatic sounds. The programme is mostly ballads including classics such as "Emily", "Stairway To The Stars", "I Had The Craziest Dream", "Remembering U", "If Ever I Would Leave You", and "With You I'm Born Again".

Selections:
1. Every Time We Say Goodbye
2. With You I'm Born Again
3. I'll Still Be In Love With You
4. Emily
5. Stairway To the Stars
6. I Had the Craziest Dream
7. Remembering U
8. What Will I Do
9. If Ever I Would Leave You
10. We'll Be Together Again

Musicians: