• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

fb-img.jpg

Mike, where did you get that (or have you had it for awhile)? Amazon only shows a used SACD for $44 :eek: :snooty:

Botch,
I think I got it on Amazon, but i have had it for at least 4 maybe 5 years? Nope, now that I think of it I got it at a bricks and mortar when I lived in BC, so that would be 7 years ago.
Mike

a8a24faa-22b2-4277-bc6e-dc47a7e1a4da_zpscf9e5c29.jpg

The Essence - Part 1 -- CD

Ahmad Jamal

1995 Verve/Polygram France

Mostly recorded in Paris, with two additional tracks from New York, this absorbing collection is a testament to the continuing ability of Ahmad Jamal to startle and engage jazz listeners who are tired of Tyner/Evans clones and want to hear something different. An equal mixture of standards and Jamal compositions, some of which move through several contrasting sections, this CD reaches its peaks when Jamal and company dive in and work around a single bass ostinato and a propulsive rhythm groove. Bassists James Cammack (Paris) and Jamil Nasser (New York) provide the former, drummer Idris Muhammad and percussionist Manolo Badrena are in charge of the latter, and a tough-sounding George Coleman turns up on tenor on the New York tracks. One fascinating quirk -- Jamal seemed fixated upon Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments" at these sessions, for he quotes the tune several times on the album. These sessions were so fruitful that Verve was able to serve up a tasty second helping a year later. ~ Richard S. Ginell

1. Flight
2. Toulouse
3. The Essence
4. Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)
5. Catalina
6. Autumn Leaves
7. Street Of Dreams
8. Bahia

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Jamil Nasser, James Cammack (bass); Idris Muhammad (drums); Manolo Badrena (percussion).Recorded at Studio Marcadet, La Plaine Saint-Denis, France and Clinton Studios, New York, New York between October 1994 & February 1995.

41Z3HXPAYEL_zpsd2c391cd.jpg

Big Byrd - The Essence - Part 2 - CD

Ahmad Jamal

1996 Verve/Polygram France

The elements that made The Essence Part One such a success - bright, crisp, rhythmically alive piano work often revolving around a tense bass ostinato and propulsive percussion - are abundantly present on Part Two, which was drawn from the same Paris and New York sessions but released a year after its predecessor. In no way is this a collection of leftovers; the quality level is so high that one can only conclude that marketing considerations alone prevented The Essence from being issued as a double album in the first place. Jamal fields two trios, anchored on bass by James Cammack in the Paris sessions and former colleague Jamil Nasser in the New York ones and by drummer Idris Muhammad on both. Everyone gets an extra jolt of momentum whenever the Afro-Latin percussion of Manolo Badrena goes into action, and violinist Joe Kennedy Jr. adds a potent, slightly raw-edged solo voice to "Manhattan Relfections." A muted, skittering Donald Byrd appears only on the title track - hence its name - which winds its way through several tempo changes and dramatically charged sections over a vast 15-minute timespan. Into his mid-60s, Jamal remained as distinctive and inventive a pianist as ever, with delightful surprises lurking around every bend. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Lament
2. There's a Lull in My Life
3. Manhattan Reflections
4. Big Byrd
5. Jamie My Boy
6. I Love You

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Donald Byrd (trumpet); Joe Kennedy, Jr. (violin); Jamil Nasser, James Cammack (bass); Idris Muhammad (drums); Manolo Badrena (percussion).Recorded at Studios Marcadet, La Plaine Saint-Denis, France and Clinton Studios, New York, New York between October 1994 & February 1995.

61r8uugOCAL.jpg

Nature - The Essence - Part 3 -- CD

Ahmad Jamal

1998 Warner France/Atlantic Records

Still pursuing his own muse, Jamal is up to his usual tricks with his hypnotic vamps and and feverish runs, as ever refusing to toe the line and sound like everyone else. In this, the third installment of his Essence series, Jamal adds a different twist -- a fine jazz steel drum player named Othello Molineaux -- and he mixes a few transfigured standards ("The End of a Love Affair" is completely re-routed through his nervous system) with pieces of his own. The first version (for quartet) of "If I Find You Again" is a magnificent example of the tension Jamal can generate. "And We Were Lovers" and "Chaperon" are huge, borderline bombastic piano solos that ought to erase any doubts that Jamal continues to command one monster keyboard technique. As in the previous Essence entries, a guest horn player shows up briefly, tenorman Stanley Turrentine in epigrammic form on "Devil's in My Den," and the ultra-responsive rhythm section remains Idris Muhammad (drums) and James Cammack (bass). ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. If I Find You Again - (Quartet)
2. Like Someone in Love
3. Chaperon
4. Devil's in My Den
5. And We Were Lovers
6. Fantastic Vehicle
7. The End of a Love Affair
8. Cabin in the Sky: Cabin in the Sky/Poor Pierrot/The Reprise
9. If I Find You Again

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Stanley Turrentine (saxophone); James Cammack (bass); Othello Molineaux (steel drums); Idris Muhammad (drums).Engineers: Gerard de Haro, Mathieu Chatagnon, Katsuhiko Naito.Recorded at Studio La Buissonne, Pernes Les Fontaines, France from July 23-25, 1997, and Masuo's Studio, New York, New York on January 2, 1998. Includes liner notes by Ahmad Jamal

99fe9833e7a0af6a859b2110.L.jpg

Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo -- CD

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones

1991 Warner Bros. Records

Don't miss out on this CD!, July 9, 2000
By Belafan "Belafan1" (Sunrise, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (Audio CD)

This is an early example of one of the most innovative bands in existence. If you only like to listen to bands that you can categorize, skip this CD. These four amazing musicians combine the best from all genres to make the best music possible. This CD is all instrumental. Bela Fleck plays the banjo and electric banjo in ways you have only heard if you're familiar with this artist. He is amazing! Victor Wooten, in turn, plays bass in new and amazing ways. He will astound you. Howard Levy plays piano and harmonica (often at the same time) and gets an outrageous range of notes from a simple diatonic harmonica. You have to hear it to believe it. Finally. Roy Wooten (aka Future Man) provides percussion in a completely different way. He has built a synth-axe drumitar which he plays flawlessly. You'll believe you are listening to real drums, but it creates other effects as well. If you don't have this one yet, by all means don't hesitate! Buy it now!

"Blu-Bop" (Béla Fleck, Howard Levy, Victor Wooten, Roy Wooten) – 4:22
"Flying Saucer Dudes" (Fleck) – 4:51
"Turtle Rock" (Fleck) – 4:12
"Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (Fleck) – 4:29
"The Star Spangled Banner" (Francis Scott Key, arr. Fleck, R. Wooten, Levy, V. Wooten) – 2:35
"Star of the County Down" (P.D., arr. Fleck, R. Wooten, Levy, V. Wooten) – 4:21
"Jekyll and Hyde (and Ted and Alice)" (Fleck) – 7:04
"Michelle" (John Lennon/Paul McCartney) – 5:10
"Hole in the Wall" (Fleck) – 4:40
"Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (Reprise)" (Fleck) – 2:14

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-rock:

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

6da7e03ae7a06bf83e30e110.L.jpg

Midnight In San Juan -- CD

Earl Klugh

1991 Warner Bros. Records

Excellent smooth Jazz with a Brazilian Jazz twist !!!, January 30, 2003
By Papetti "papetti" (Mexico City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Midnight in San Juan (Audio CD)

Earl Klugh has always been recognized as a fantastic Jazz guitarist (following the school of Wes Montgomery & George Benson)and this album in particular is one of his best. Earl adds a super cool technique of Brazilian touch with compositions like: 1. <Kissin' on the Beach> where he's accompanied by Abraham Laboriel on Bass Guitar and Paulinho DaCosta on Percussions and 2.<Take you there>
also accompanied by Abraham Laboriel, Paulinho DaCosta, by the superb pianist Eliane Elias and Toots Thielmans on Harmonica.
Overall is a great album, don't miss it if you really like Jazz.

"Midnight in San Juan" - 5:53
"Every Moment with You" - 3:57
"Kissin' on the Beach" - 6:07
"She Never Said Why" - 4:32
"Movimientos del Alma (Rhythms of the Soul)" - 4:40
"Jamaican Winds" - 3:44
"Theme for a Rainy Day" - 5:26
"Take You There" - 7:06

41KG8N0CHGL_zpsd888faf5.jpg

A Swingin' Night at Birdland -- Remastered CD

Joe Williams

1962/1991 Roulette/Blue Note Records

In 1961, after six years as one of the main attractions of Count Basie's orchestra, Williams (with Basie's blessing) went out on his own. One of his first sessions was this live recording, cut at Birdland with a strong quintet that featured trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison and Jimmy Forrest on tenor. Williams mostly sings standards and ballads, but also tosses in a few of his popular blues (including "Well Alright, OK, You Win" and "Goin' to Chicago") during a well-rounded and thoroughly enjoyable set. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. September in the Rain
2. Come Back Baby
3. 5 O'Clock in the Morning
4. By the River St. Marie
5. This Can't Be Love
6. Teach Me Tonight
7. Well O. K. Alright You Win
8. I Was Telling Her About You
9. Have You Met Miss Jones?
10. Roll 'Em Pete
11. You're Everything But Mine
12. Falling in Love With Love
13. Goin' to Chicago Blues
14. The Very Thought of You

Personnel includes: Joe Williams (vocals), Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet), Jimmy Forrest (tenor saxophone), Hugh Lawson (piano), Ike Issacs (bass), Clarence Johnson (drums).Recorded live at Birdland, New York City in June 1962.

71-5lsjCNBL_zps72b4a10d.jpg

Elegant Soul -- Remastered CD

Gene Harris and His Three Sounds

1968/2008 Blue Note Rare Groove Series

ELEGANT SOUL (1968) was the penultimate release by the Three Sounds, and sees them leaving behind the cool instrumental jazz that had typified most of their previous output, and moving more decisively in the direction of easy-listening pop. While the group had always had something of a light, accessible take on post-bop, ELEGANT SOUL, with its string arrangements and pop-oriented ambitions, finds them crossing over into easy listening. The 2008 reissue, part of a Blue Note reissue project targeting rare groove collectors and fans of soul-jazz, contextualizes the album for what it is: a unique jazz-soul-pop hybrid.

"Elegant Soul" (Virginia P. Bland) - 3:15
"Do It Right Now" (Bland) - 6:20
"Sittin' Duck" (Monk Higgins) - 9:18
"(Sock It to Me) Harper Valley P.T.A." (Tom T. Hall) - 2:48
"Sugar Hill" (Dee Ervin, Miles Grayson) - 2:48
"African Sweets" (Ervin) - 4:30
"Black Gold" (Grayson) - 3:29
"Book of Slim" (Higgins) - 3:26
"Walls of Respect" (Gene Harris, Higgins) - 3:13

Recorded at RPM Studios, Los Angeles, California on September 19 (tracks 3, 4 & 8) and September 20 (tracks 1, 2, 5-7 & 9), 1968

The Three Sounds: Gene Harris (piano); Andy Simpkins (bass instrument); Carl Burnett (drum).Additional personnel: Al Vescovo (guitar); Henry Felber (violin, strings); Dave Burk, Leonard Malarsky, Ralph Schaeffer (violin); Philip Goldberg (viola); Jerry Kessler (cello); William Kurash, Albert Steinberg (strings); Jim Horn (flute); Bob Jung (reeds); Miles Grayson, Paul Humphrey (drum); Alan Estes, Dee Ervin (percussion); Louis Kievman.Arranger: Monk Higgins.

91b5c6da8da00b4fda5f0110.L.jpg

Canciones de mi Padre -- CD

Linda Ronstadt

1987/1990 Asylum Records

Amazon.com

Topflight pop singer pays tribute to her heritage on this amazing roots ranchera album that also features excellent backing by the world-famous Mariachi Vargas, all under the experienced hand of master arranger-composer-producer Ruben Fuentes. Everything clicks wonderfully here, but numbers that set a new standard include "Tu Solo Tu," an incredibly harmonic love ode; "Por un Amor," on the price of real love; and "Los Laureles," a song of declaration on which Ronstadt soars unbelievably high. These are old Mexican classics, played by arguably the world's best mariachi group and sung by one of North America's greatest vocal talents. Extras include performances by another world figure, requinto player Gilbert Puente, who made trio history when he led Mexico's Los Tres Reyes in the '50s and '60s. In the mariachi-ranchera genre, this CD easily ranks among the very best. --Ramiro Burr

1. "Por Un Amor" (Gilberto Parra) – 2:56
2. "Los Laureles" (Lopez) – 2:25
3. "Hay Unos Ojos" (Rubén Fuentes) – 2:45
4. "La Cigarra" (Ray Pérez, Soto) – 3:45
5. "Tu Solo Tu" – 3:09
6. "Y Andale" – 2:32
7. "Rogaciano El Huapanguero" (Valeriano Trejo) – 3:00
8. "La Charreada" (Felipe Bermejo) – 3:49
9. "Dos Arbolitos" – 2:34
10. "Corrido De Cananea" – 3:24
11. "La Barca De Guaymas" – 3:25
12. "La Calandria" – 3:00
13. "El Sol Que Tú Eres" (Traditional) – 2:57

1273167834_benny-goodman-the-comple_zpsbec98fe1.jpg

The Complete Trios -- Remastered 24-Bit CD

Benny Goodman

1999 Capitol Records

The Complete Captiol Trios is a long-overdue reissue of the five trio sessions Benny Goodman led for Capitol Records. The five sessions are easily broken down into two categories -- recordings from 1947 and recordings from 1954. The highlights of the 1947 recordings are sessions with pianist Teddy Wilson and drummer Jimmy Crawford. This provided Goodman an opportunity to reunite with Wilson who he had toured with in the late '30s in a trio with drummer Gene Krupa. Goodman and Wilson have a real ease to their interaction and the results are positively joyful. There are three other recordings from 1947, featuring pianist Jimmy Rowles and drummer Tom Romersa; these are good, but not quite as delightful as their 1947 companions. However, the 1954 recordings -- all featuring pianist Mel Powell, four featuring drummer Eddie Grady, and two featuring drummer Bobby Donaldson -- are equally wonderful, filled with good humor, elegant flair, and magical interludes. These sessions have been out of circulation for too long, but The Complete Capitol Trios is so well-done -- and its fidelity is so good -- that the wait was certainly worthwhile. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Blue (And Broken Hearted)
2. After Hours
3. All I Do Is Dream of You - (1st version)
4. I'll Never Be the Same
5. Bye Bye Pretty Baby
6. Shoe Shine Boy
7. At Sundown
8. When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)
9. All I Do Is Dream of You - (2nd version)
10. Stompin' at the Savoy
11. Mean to Me
12. Puttin' on the Ritz
13. I Never Knew I Could Love Anybody (Like I'm Loving You)
14. Lazy River
15. There'll Be Some Changes Made
16. Ev'rything I've Got (Belongs to You)
17. But Not For Me
18. Margie
19. Rose Room
20. (What Can I Say) After I Say I'm Sorry?

Personnel: Benny Goodman (clarinet); Teddy Wilson, Jimmy Rowles, Mel Powell (piano); Jimmy Crawford, Tom Romersa, Eddie Grady, Bobby Donaldson (drums).Recorded between 1947 and 1954. Includes liner notes by Richard M. Sudhalter.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

51NXsWG-5-L._SS500_.jpg

85 Candles - Live in New York -- 2 CD Set

Marian McPartland & Friends

2008 Concord Jazz

On the day after Marian McPartland turned 85, this large group of her jazz friends got together at Birdland in New York to celebrate with her. She played piano with them in an endearing program of love songs that belie their affection for each other. Everybody loves Marian McPartland and respects her for her many accomplishments.

Concord's 2-CD set captures this event in detail. It has aired on NPR several times. McPartland enjoyed the get-together. Of the evening's effect on her, she remarked, "It was wonderful having all these people at a party and then getting to play with so many of my friends."

On 85 Candles she performs piano duets with Dr. Billy Taylor, Jason Moran and George Wein. Norah Jones sings "The Nearness of You" with McPartland's trio. Karrin Allyson sings the pianist's "Twilight World." Nnenna Freelon sings "What Am I Here For?" and Jackie Cain sings "While We're Young" with McPartland's piano accompaniment. Clark Terry and Phil Woods are on hand to participate. Roy Hargrove performs "My Foolish Heart" with McPartland at the piano, and Barbara Carroll sings "Old Friend" from the heart.

Regina Carter interprets "I Can't Believe that You're in Love With Me" with reflections of Swing. Jim Hall and McPartland create a "Free Piece" that plunges into the inner depths of musical partnership. They communicate openly and freely.

"But Not For Me" features Curtis Stigers with McPartland, Gary Mazzaroppi, and Glenn Davis. His enthusiastic swing and lively scat chorus represent a whole generation of great straight-ahead jazz. "I've Told Every Little Star" features Jackie King with the same trio. As with everyone else on the program, the guitarist tugs at our heartstrings in the spirit of the evening. His warm, fluid delivery proves memorable.

McPartland's trio interpretation of "Yesterdays" brings Bill Crow on board with drummer Davis. Together, they sashay gracefully through reflections of more than a half century in jazz. She's been performing like this since 1938, and plans to continue forever. We're fortunate to have her in our corner of the planet. By
JIM SANTELLA, Published: April 4, 2005

DISC ONE

1. I Love You 9:01
2. The Nearness Of You 5:17
3. Tangerine 8:04
4. Last Night When We Were Young 6:02
5. Twilight World 5:01
6. I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me 7:13
7. Free Piece 2:36
8. Old Friend 3:00
9. Have You Met Miss Jones 2:28
10. Take The 'A' Train 4:48
11. Summertime 4:16

DISC TWO

1. All Blues 9:15
2. My Foolish Heart 5:02
3. But Not For Me 3:25
4. Memories Of You 6:56
5. Yesterdays 6:04
6. While We're Young 3:52
7. I've Told Every Little Star 5:44
8. Capricious 3:45
9. What Am I Here For 4:59
10. Onyx Mood / Soft Lights & Sweet Music / Kaleidoscope 1:00
11. Lester Leaps In 7:44

For the wife, although I enjoy them also....

61MYFXC3NRL.jpg

Greatest Hits -- Remastered CD

Culture Club

2005 Virgin US

Led by the notoriously androgynous Boy George, Culture Club took theworld by storm in the 1980s. Their mix of pop, soul, and reggae may nothave been unprecedented, but it certainly was a refreshing break fromthe scads of soundalike New Wave bands cluttering up the airwaves. Asingles band nonpareil, Culture Club is well served by GREATEST HITS, a concise culling of their career highlights. While they were certainlynot without their festive moments (the lilting, calypso-tinged "I'llTumble 4 Ya," the singalong sunniness of "Karma Chameleon"), George and his pals were at their best on the more melancholy, midtempo tunes ("Do You Really Want to Hurt Me;" "Time"), where the Boy really got a chance to burn his torch at both ends. Decades later, Culture Club's best moments still stand up a hell of a lot better than many of their contemporaries' records.

Track Listing
1. Do You Really Want to Hurt Me
2. Time (Clock of the Heart)
3. I'll Tumble 4 Ya
4. White Boy - (Dance Mix)
5. Church of the Poison Mind
6. Karma Chameleon
7. Miss Me Blind
8. It's a Miracle
9. Victims
10. Black Money
11. The War Song
12. Mistake No. 3
13. Love Is Love
14. Move Away
15. I Just Wanna Be Loved
16. Cold Shoulder
17. Your Kisses Are Charity - (Blouse and Skirt Mix)

Back