• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Zing said:
Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and Roman Angelo. That's a little like eating habanero peppers, cayenne peppers, serrano peppers and marshmallow fluff. :teasing-tease:

Hell, I would try it!!! :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes:

61B6WqpGcmL.jpg

Johnny Hodges, Soloist -- Remastered 24bit CD

Billy Strayhorn and THE Orchestra

1962/1999 Verve Master Edition

A rare look at Hodges and Strayhorn without Ellington April 27, 1999
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

This disc which is the result of a session in 1961 that features Johhny Hodges on alto sax with Billy Strayhorn as the band leader. Detail of the session is related in Lush Life the biographpy of Billy Strayhorn (pg 217). Briefly, Strayhorn was given free rein in providing new arrangments of songs by Ellington, Hodges and himself. In the 30 plus years they worked together Strayhorn used the Ellington orchestra to feature Hodges. However, this disc really puts Hodges in the forefront of the orchestra and the results are tremendous. Hodges, under Strayhorns direction gives top notch redendtions of 2 of the greatest songs they did together, Day Dream and I Got It Bad. I haven't stopped playing this disc, comparing the arrangements by Strayhorn and playing by Hodges against other Ellington discs. Another one you may want to try is "And His Mother Called Him Bill" which I think is Hodges greatest performance. Oh by the way, Happy 100th Birthday Duke (April 29th) We love you madly!

Track Listing
1. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
2. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
3. The Gal from Joe's
4. Your Love Has Faded
5. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
6. Jeep's Blues
7. Day Dream
8. Juice A-Plenty
9. Azure
10. Tailor Made
11. Stardust

Personnel: Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Billy Strayhorn (conductor); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Jimmy Hamilton (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone, bass clarinet); Cat Anderson, Shorty Baker, Bill Berry, Ed Mullens, Howard McGhee (trumpet); Lawrence Brown, Quentin Jackson (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Jimmy Jones (piano); Aaron Bell (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).Producer: Creed Taylor.Reissue producer: Ben Young.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey in December 1961. Originally issued on Verve (8452). Includes liner notes by Loren Schoenberg and Stanley Dance.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Kevin Reeves (Polygram Studios).This is part of the Verve Records Master Edition series

51CM484riNL._SS400_.jpg

Plays Ellington Songs -- CD

Harry Allen with the Bill Charlap Trio

1999 RCA Victor Records

Allen's tenor sax sound is perfectly suited for the music of Duke Ellington. His literate, traditional approach and occasionally Stan Getz-ian breathy tones go to the heart of Duke's melodic and harmonic concepts. Pianist Bill Charlap is excellent through and through, while bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington are dutiful in attending to their swing. Several of these tracks are read pretty straight, as the ballad "Lush Life," the easy swinger "Just Squeeze Me," the Afro-Cuban to bop "Caravan," and the air-filled "Sophisticated Lady." But the band changes up the rest. At the least extreme, "Mood Indigo" is easy swing as opposed to balladic; "Take the A Train" is slowed way down with Allen and Charlap only, while the pianist plays the melody while Allen's tenor counter-swipes licks on "C Jam Blues." More adapted is the slow tick-tock to bossa of the usual wall-melting ballad "Solitude," and a low-down, lugubrious bluesy swing with Charlap loading up on the intro and melody of "Things Ain't What They Used to Be," with Allen's stacatto stopped accents. At their most energetic, the quartet charges hard and trade eights during the up-tempo workout "Cotton Tail," whereas Allen and bassist Washington in duet need no other instrumental accoutrements in order to rhythmically fire up "It Don't Mean a Thing if It Ain't Got That Swing." This is most likely Allen's best batch yet, for he is a great interpreter rather than innovator. Duke did all the inventing necessary here, and this true collective quartet is hard to top. Recommended. ~ Michael G. Nastos

Track Listing
1. C Jam Blues
2. Solitude
3. Mood Indigo
4. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
5. Lush Life
6. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)
7. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
8. Caravan
9. Take the "A" Train
10. Cotton Tail
11. Sophisticated Lady

I remember posting about this before, I luv the barefoot look with artists, especially women, such a free, spirit feel. Two others that perform in bare feet are Lucia Micarelli and Lindsey Stirling, both being voilinists.

41Pjh02pDXL.jpg

1287488459_500front.jpg

Rare Genius - The Undiscovered Masters -- CD

Ray Charles

2010 Concord Records

A real Ray Charles album, October 26, 2010
By T. Fisher - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters (MP3 Download)

This album includes 10 previously unreleased songs from the Ray Charles vault, polished up for release by producer John Burk, who also produced Ray Charles' last album, "Genius Loves Company". It could easily have deteriorated into a farce -- a collection of half-finished songs and scratchy demos slapped onto a disc to keep the money machine alive.

Happily, this is not the case. These tunes are produced with care, and their feel is true to Ray Charles' legacy, even though many have been fleshed out with the help of musicians in the studio today. Charles recorded the songs over three decades, from the 1970s to the 1990s. Despite that, the album has a satisfying cohesiveness, thanks no doubt to the producer and engineers. It felt like listening to a real Ray Charles album that stands up to much of his best work.

The instrumentation is polished, and includes plenty of both strings and horns. The style frequently dances a line between R&B and an adult compemporary feel -- the way that Ray Charles really pulled off consistently well.

Stand-outs for me included "Wheel of Fortune", which recalled for me some of the atmospheres of Charles' country and western period. I also loved "There'll Be Some Changes Made", a song I've enjoyed since it was featured in the 1979 Bob Fosse film "All That Jazz". Of course, this slower, soulful version is very different.

"I'm Gonna Keep on Singin'," from the mid-1900s, starts out with a funkadelic bass line leading into ethereal electric piano and dreamy guitar accompaniment. Backup female singers recall the Raelettes, as Charles riffs vocally in prose over the beat. Classic.

The final song, "Why Me Lord?" by Kris Kristofferson, is fantastic, but kind of an odd man out -- a duet with Johnny Cash in which Cash sings the lead vocal. Hearing these two singing together "Help me Jesus, my soul's in your hands" is moving, given that this recording is being released posthumously for both of them.

This album is a posthumous collection of re-engineered, overdubbed recordings. Sounds awful, doesn't it? But I'm glad I put aside my misgivings and gave it a shot. Very satisfying. Especially at the $3.99 MP3 Daily Deal price on October 26, 2010, it is a great bargain as well. The biggest problem is the relatively short 41-minute total run time. Highly recommended.

"Love's Gonna Bite You Back" – 3:54
"It Hurts To Be In Love" (Dixson, Toombs) – 4:53
"Wheel Of Fortune" (Benjamin, Weiss) – 4:00
"I'm Gonna Keep On Singin'" – 5:30
"There'll Be Some Changes Made" (Blackstone, Overstreet) – 4:04
"Isn't It Wonderful" (Taylor, Webster) – 4:13
"I Don't Want No One But You" – 4:20
"A Little Bitty Tear" (Cochran) – 3:35
"She's Gone" – 3:10
"Why Me Lord?" (Kristofferson) – 3:57

Babs said:
I remember posting about this before, I luv the barefoot look with artists, especially women, such a free, spirit feel. Two others that perform in bare feet are Lucia Micarelli and Lindsey Stirling, both being voilinists.

41Pjh02pDXL.jpg

When I think of barefoot female artists, I always think of Sophie B. Hawkins....

SophieHawkins.jpg

6.2_Sophie_B._Hawkins_by_Alan_Mercer_da9_01.jpg

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

And her hit song "Damn, I wish I was your lover"....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6r-k9Bk6o&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Oops! I guess I don't know how to post Youtube videos. Here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6r-k9Bk6o

Dennie

^ :handgestures-thumbup: She is a beauty! Sophie's style is sort of Bohemian, maybe a bit hippie. I like it.

album-one-night-of-sin.jpg

One Night Of Sin -- CD

Joe Cocker

1989 Capitol Records

Full of Cocker rockers and ballads., November 1, 2000
By Anthony Accordino (Massapequa Park, New York United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: One Night of Sin (Audio CD)

Joe Cocker's "One Night Of Sin" was not only one of Joe's more popular modern day albums but showed the english soul shouter in fine vintage form with his voice as strong as ever. The top ten smash "When The Night Comes" is just the beginning of an album loaded with top notch songs. Producer Charlie Midnight really gets Joe rocking on tunes like"Just To Keep From Drowning" and "Bad Bad Sign"[not to many modern day singers can match this vocal performance]. Long time musical friend Chris Stainton is back on keyboards providing that hard driving piano sound that was so prominent during their Maddogs and Englishman heyday. Joe also belts out great covers of "Fever" and "Iv'e Got To Use My Imagination". The ballads on this cd are sung in typical gut wrenching Joe cocker style. A truly solid musical effort not to be missed.

"When the Night Comes" - 5:20 (Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance, Diane Warren)
"I Will Live for You" - 4:11 (Stephen Allen Davis)
"I've Got to Use My Imagination" - 4:24 (Gerry Goffin, Barry Goldberg)
"Letting Go" - 4:11 (Charlie Midnight, Jimmy Scott)
"Just to Keep from Drowning" - 4:39 (Marshall Chapman, Stephen Allen Davis)
"Unforgiven" - 3:28 (Tim Hardin, Ken Lauber)
"Another Mind Gone" - 4:44 (Cocker, Levine, Chris Stainton)
"Fever" - 3:37 (Eddie Cooley, Otis Blackwell, John Davenport)
"You Know We're Gonna Hurt" - 3:59 (Rick Boston, Nick Gilder)
"Bad Bad Sign" - 4:09 (Dan Hartman, Charlie Midnight)
"I'm Your Man" - 3:52 (Leonard Cohen)
"One Night of Sin" - 3:14 (Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King, Anita Steinman)

Babs said:
^ :handgestures-thumbup: She is a beauty! Sophie's style is sort of Bohemian, maybe a bit hippie. I like it.

Yes! ....and when she sings "Damn..." I just melt a little! LOL

Dennie

My favorites...
Track # 2...How Do You Keep the Music Playing
Track # 3...Just Once
Track # 6...There's No Easy Way
Track # 9...One Hundred Ways

51HJDI4zuvL._SX300_.jpg

41vN37R2jNL._SS500_.jpg

Various Positions -- CD

Leonard Cohen

1985/1995 Columbia Records

Dance Me To The End Of Love,
July 20, 2002
By Gary Selikow
This review is from: Various Positions (Audio CD)

In this album Leonard Cohen displays the full range of his genius.

It begins with the richly melodic `Dance Me To The End Of Love', with it's distinct Mediterranean/Israeli style, which remind me of hot romantic summer nights, by the sea.
It also includes such magnificent works as the passionate and intense love ballad, `Coming Back To You' and the fascinating mix of romantic and satirical `Night Comes On', the biting satire of `The Captain' and `Heart With No Companion' which embodies a heartfelt and deep explanation of the terrible experience of loneliness and isolation.

The greatest track on this album however, is the majestic and spiritual `Hallelujah':

"They say there was a sacred chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It went like this, the fourth, the fifth
the minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah"

I also love Jennifer Warnes' rich, melodic, sensual voice, which particularly adds beauty to `Dance Me to The End of Love' and `Hallelujah'.

All songs were written by Leonard Cohen.

Side one

"Dance Me to the End of Love" – 4:38
"Coming Back to You" – 3:32
"The Law" – 4:27
"Night Comes On" – 4:40

Side two

"Hallelujah" – 4:36
"The Captain" – 4:06
"Hunter's Lullaby" – 2:24
"Heart With No Companion" – 3:04
"If It Be Your Will" – 3:43

Botch said:
large4939.jpg

Steven Wilson: Hand. Cannot. Erase.

I've listened to this one several times over the past 3-day weekend; from the video pics I've gathered this album is about a girl/woman growing up, but I haven't sat down with the lyrics as of yet. Tonight, I watched the "Extras" portion of the disk, and my interest has quadrupled.
First, Adam Holzman was the keyboard player! He was picked up, as a kid, to play keys by some guy named Miles Davis (!). He later released a couple albums under his own name (which I love), but I lost track of him over the last few years; glad he's still going.
The record was cut in a studio in London, whose name I didn't catch. It was a two-story open room, over half the wall space being glass (!). The "forward" wall (where the audience would be were they set up to play to a crowd) was about 60% flat glass windows; the two side walls were over 50% glass, but curved glass bending into the room (think "elevator tubes"). I would think that kind of room would be a nightmare to record in, with all the reflective surfaces. The audio says otherwise, of course.
Finally, the story-line: This album is based on the true-life story of a British girl, born in the countryside, nothing remarkable, who had a happy life growing up, eduction, and moved to the big city to start her career. She did well, had lots of friends and success, and then... died in her apartment. She wasn't missed, nor her body discovered, until three years later. :shock:
Wow, what a depressing story; I'll have to play the album again while following along on the lyric sheet. But not tonight.

Happy Monday everyone... :doh:

94e7793509a0e3dd5d063110.L.jpg

Full Moon Fever -- CD

Tom Petty

1989 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Ten years had passed since Petty's last solid outing (*** the Torpedoes in 1979), and Full Moon Fever fully resuscitated the artist's career, which--some would say "arguably"--had been losing steam. With the album's four major hits and rave reviews from the critics (these things do not always go hand-in-hand), Petty must have breathed a sigh of relief. He left the Heartbreakers behind, hooked up with musician, writer, and producer Jeff Lynne, and rocked out with "Runnin' Down a Dream," got mellow and introspective on "Free Fallin'" and "A Face in the Crowd," and paid tribute (finally) to the Byrds with a cover of "Feel a Whole Lot Better." He perfected the sing-along guitar-pop song on "Yer So Bad" and had a wild time on "Zombie Zoo." Pure Petty perfection! --Lorry Fleming

All songs written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, except as indicated.[2]

"Free Fallin'" – 4:14
"I Won't Back Down" – 2:56
"Love Is a Long Road" (Mike Campbell, Petty) – 4:06
"A Face in the Crowd" – 3:58
"Runnin' Down a Dream" (Campbell, Lynne, Petty) – 4:23
"I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" (Gene Clark) – 2:47
"Yer So Bad" – 3:05
"Depending on You" (Petty) – 2:47
"The Apartment Song" (Petty) – 2:31
"Alright for Now" (Petty) – 2:00
"A Mind with a Heart of Its Own" – 3:29
"Zombie Zoo" – 2:56

"Hello, CD listeners…"

Early pressings of the album on compact disc contain a hidden track at the beginning of track 6. The interlude, which is referred to in the album credits as "Attention CD Listeners", features a brief tongue-in-cheek monologue by Petty, over a background of barnyard noises:

Hello, CD listeners. We've come to the point in this album where those listening on cassette, or records, will have to stand up, or sit down, and turn over the record. Or tape. In fairness to those listeners, we'll now take a few seconds before we begin side two. [pause] Thank you. Here's side two.

dca1431378a0cd6ceff96110.L.jpg

'Natty Dread' -- CD

Bob Marley & The Wailers

1974 Island Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Natty Dread captures Bob Marley's decisive transition from Wailers band member to auteur, his singing and writing now front and center, and the revamped band securely reined in to his defiant, Rastafarian worldview. This 1974 release mirrors the lineup's more sinewy sound, carved by Al Anderson's spidery guitar fills, Touter's telegraphic keyboard, the I-Threes' female vocal choruses and vamping horns--a potent brew that bubbles under his then most openly political songs. A position paper on the daunting ghetto realities of Jamaica's Trenchtown, the album reels off a series of enduring Marley classics and kicks off with the giddy, sexy reggae anthem, "Lively Up Yourself," with its hilarious but mysterious spoken fadeout ("What you got in dat bag, dere?"). It continues with the uplifting pep talk in "No Woman No Cry," the grim dispatches of "Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)" and "Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Roadblock)," as well as the exhortations of the title song and "Revolution." Marley's own dreadlocks were still just growing in then, but this is nonetheless fully matured, riveting reggae at its most focused, righteous, and rhythmically irresistible. --Sam Sutherland

Track Listing
1. Lively Up Yourself
2. No Woman, No Cry
3. Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)
4. Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Road Block)
5. So Jah Seh
6. Natty Dread
7. Bend Down Low
8. Talkin' Blues
9. Revolution

Botch said:
Get Hand first (prolly cuz I'm listening to it right now; Raven has some dark animated video to go with the songs, if you're into that kind of thing). Best way I could describe them is a mix of Pink Floyd and Dream Theater. It's the kind of music that you can listen to over and over, and always pick up something new that's going on. Call them up on Amazon and listen to a few blurbs, that's been a good reference for me.
Money, in my book! :music-rockout:

I just jumped right in and bought these on Blu Ray Audio:

Grace for Drowning
Raven that Refused to Sing
Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Should be here on Wednesday....................

e613972f-e0dc-49a6-8c64-f5546c128650_zpsfx5hfcd4.jpg

The Legendary Big Band -- Remastered 20 Bit 2 CD Set

Billy Eckstine

2002 Savoy Jazz

The Legendary Big Band 1943-1947 features 42 of Billy Eckstine's most memorable songs as played by one of the most powerful bebop big bands in jazz history. A powerful singer with a resonant baritone voice, trumpeter and valve trombonist William Clarence Eckstine, a former member of the Earl Hines Orchestra, formed his own band in 1943 after the economic hardships associated with World War II prevented Earl Hines from keeping him and other jazz artists, such as Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, in his orchestra. As the leader and creator of the first bebop big band, Billy Eckstine established what was a forerunner to the bop big bands of Gillespie, Woody Herman, and others. This two-disc set presents some of Billy Eckstine's finest work, including the blues hit "Jelly, Jelly," which he first recorded with the Earl Hines band in 1940. The collection involves a heavy emphasis on romantic ballads, blues, and specialty vocals, but also features several great instrumentals, including "Second Balcony Jump" and "Cool Breeze." Trombone solos by Eckstine on such songs as "All of Me" and "In My Solitude," as well as an informative booklet with photos of this legendary big band, add more interest to this valuable box set. This is the ultimate Billy Eckstine collection and is a must-have for jazz educators, historians, and enthusiasts of jazz vocalists. ~ Paula Edelstein

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. I Got a Date With Rhythm
2. I Stay in the Mood For You
3. Good Jelly Blues
4. If That's the Way You Feel
5. I Want to Talk About You
6. Blowing the Blues Away - (single version)
7. Blowing the Blues Away - (album version)
8. Opus X
9. I'll Wait and Pray
10. The Real Thing Happened to Me
11. Lonesome Lover Blues
12. A Cottage For Sale
13. (I Love the) Rhythm in a Riff
14. Prisoner of Love
15. It Ain't Like That
16. I'm in the Mood For Love
17. You Call It Madness
18. Long Journey Long
19. I Only Have Eyes For You
20. You're My Everything
21. The Jitney Man

DISC 2:
1. Second Balcony Jump
2. Pretty Baby Tell Me
3. Love Is the Thing
4. Without a Song
5. Cool Breeze
6. Don't Take Your Love From Me
7. Oop Bop Sh'bam
8. Oop Bop Sh'bam - (alternate take)
9. In the Still of the Night
10. Jelly Jelly
11. Jelly - (alternate take) Jelly
12. All of Me
13. Where Are You?
14. Prelude to a Kiss
15. (She's Got the) Blues For Sale
16. (She's Got the) - (alternate take) Blues For Sale
17. What's New
18. Serenade in Blue
19. In My Solitude
20. Sophisticated Lady

Personnel includes: Billy Eckstine (vocals); Sarah Vaughan (vocals); Budd Johnson, Jimmy Powell (alto saxophone); Gene Ammons, Wardell Gray, Thomas Crump, Dexter Gordon (tenor saxophone); Teddy Cypron, Rudy Rutherford, Cecil Payne (baritone saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Freddie Webster, Shorty McConnell, Al Killian, Fats Navarro, Boonie Hazel, Raymond Orr (trumpet); Trummy Young, Claude Jones, Howard Scott, Walter Knox, Chips Outcalt, Jerry Valentine (trombone); Clyde Hart, Richard Ellington (piano); Connie Wainwright (guitar); Oscar Pettiford (bass); Shadow Wilson, Art Blakey (drums).Includes liner notes by Bob Blumenthal

Today's work truck music...

61C8VmV4X1L._SL500_.jpg

Love's Been Rough On Me -- CD

Etta James

1997 RCA Records

THE ONE AND ONLY ETTA JAMES, August 28, 2005
By R. Rodriguez "Mayan Traveler" (Maui Hawaii) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Love's Been Rough on Me (Audio CD)

Etta James takes on a country feel on this release but being that it IS Etta James one would think that there were no other country singers ever. From the opening tract "The Rock" you feel the pain in this womans soul. when she sings " Now you say I`m only holding you down like some ole rock you been draggin around " You know that she has felt it and she makes you feel it too.The following song " Cry like A Rainy Day " Has Etta`s voice soaring to its highest high and down to its lowest lows never clearer, stronger, and just as powerful as ever this lady can SANG. The Title Track will bring you to tears she sings " Have Mercy Baby Loves Been Rough On Me " her voice and style take you down a path of broken dreams and hearts as only Etta can do.Her rendition of "If I Had Any Pride At all" and I`ve Been Lovin You" Will have you running for a tissue. And then as if to rescue your broken heart Etta sings " I Can Give You Everything " to bring you back from that edge. To round the offering out the closing tract was written by Etta herself with her son Donto and Josh Sklair." Done In The Dark" is catchy, sassy,in your face, I know your doing me wrong kinda song,a fitting end to these sessions.
As with all of her recordings the backing musicians are a tight and well oiled unit one wonders if playing with the best brings out the best I`m not sure but it sure sounds that way. This CD belongs in everyone ones collection
I was lucky enough to of seen this Lady twice this summer she can still belt em out and stir your soul, she is after all THE ONE AND ONLY ETTA JAMES

Track listing

1. Rock, The
2. Cry Like a Rainy Day
3. Love's Been Rough on Me
4. Love It or Leave It Alone
5. Don't Touch Me
6. Hold Me (Just a Little Longer Tonight)
7. If I Had Any Pride Left at All
8. I Can Give You Everything
9. I've Been Loving You Too Long
10. Done in the Dark

51VD4VTHVSL.jpg

Unforgivable Blackness - Soundtrack -- CD

Wynton Marsalis

2005 Blue Note Records

Trumpeter Wynton Marsalis' soundtrack to Ken Burns' documentary Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson is a compelling and rootsy mix of blues and swing. Having worked with Burns on the PBS "Jazz" series, Marsalis' Unforgivable Blackness soundtrack seems like a natural progression of a fruitful partnership. Not dissimilar to such past Marsalis projects as the Jelly Roll Morton album Mr. Jelly Lord, the album features Marsalis in various small-group settings along with such longtime Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra regulars as drummer Herlin Riley, pianist Eric Lewis, saxophonist Wessell Anderson, bassist Reginald Veal, trombonist Wycliffe Gordon, and others, including guitarist Doug Wamble, who adds his unique blend of old-time blues, folk, and jazz to Marsalis' own signature updating of '20s and '30s jazz. Although four previously released tracks appear here, two off Standard Time, Vol. 6: Mr. Jelly Lord and two from Marsalis' Reeltime, the majority of the album is newly recorded and all of it sounds of a piece. Ironically, Marsalis' deepest musical influence and aesthetic nemesis, trumpeter Miles Davis, also recorded an album for a film about the troubled boxing champ Johnson, 1970's fusion classic Tribute to Jack Johnson. However, where Davis' album seemed to reflect the counterculture and Black Power movements of the time, Marsalis is more traditionally cinematic in his approach, with each track evoking the pride, urbanity, strength, and tragedy of the legendary Johnson. Review by Matt Collar

Track Listing
1. What Have You Done?
2. Ghost in the House
3. Jack Johnson Two-Step
4. But Deep Down
5. Love & Hate
6. High Society
7. Careless Love
8. New Orleans Bump
9. Trouble My Soul
10. Deep Creek
11. The Johnson 2-Step
12. Rattlesnake Tail Swing
13. Weary Blues
14. Troubles My Soul
15. Johnson Two-Step
16. Fire in the Night
17. Morning Song
18. I'll Sing My Song
19. Buddy Bolden's Blues
20. The Last Bell
21. We'll Meet Again Someday

Composer: Wynton Marsalis.Personnel: Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Wynton Marsalis; Victor Goines (clarinet, bass clarinet, basset clarinet, saxophone, tenor saxophone); Gideon Feldstein (clarinet, bass clarinet); Sam Karam, Sherman Irby (clarinet); Stephen Riley (tenor saxophone); Marcus Printup (trumpet); Eric Lewis (piano, washboard, percussion); Eric Reed (piano); Reginald Veal (double bass, upright bass); Kimati Dinizulu (percussion); Doug Wamble, Don Vappie (guitar, banjo); Wessell Anderson (clarinet, alto saxophone); Dr. Michael White (clarinet); Wycliffe Gordon (trombone, tuba); Lucien Barbarin (trombone); Herlin Riley (drums, tambourine).Audio Mixer: Jatty Q. Smith.Liner Note Authors: Ken Burns; Geoffrey C. Ward.Recording information: Grande Lodge Of Masonic Hall, New York, NY (09/??/1996-09/03/2003); Right Track Studios (09/??/1996-09/03/2003); The Calvin Theatre, Northampton, MA (09/??/1996-09/03/2003); Warner Bros. Soundstage, Los Angeles, CA (09/??/1996-09/03/2003).

Today's work truck music....

5164810ae7a0179653d81210.L.jpg

Skeletons From The Closet - The Best of -- CD

Grateful Dead

1974/1990 Warner Bros. Records

A Contrary Opinion January 6, 1999
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

Contrary to other statements, I feel that this cd contains all of the songs necessary, and then some, to be called "the best of". "Mexicali Blues" is one of my favorite Dead songs. I believe that it entails a musical background seperate from that of the other songs, but is just as catchy. The lyrics are incredible as well. I think that anyone who likes this cd should go onto albums. American Beauty is a good starting point. It contains some songs found here and other classics such as "Ripple" and "Box of Rain". This is definitly an incredible cd.

Track listing

"The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)" (Jerry Garcia, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, and Bob Weir) – 2:07
Originally released on the album The Grateful Dead.
"Truckin'" (Garcia, Robert Hunter, Lesh, and Weir) – 5:09
Originally released on the album American Beauty.
"Rosemary" (Garcia and Hunter) – 1:58
Originally released on the album Aoxomoxoa.
"Sugar Magnolia" (Hunter and Weir) – 3:15
"St. Stephen" (Garcia, Hunter, and Lesh) – 4:26
Originally released on the album Aoxomoxoa.
"Uncle John's Band" (Garcia and Hunter) – 4:42
Originally released on the album Workingman's Dead.
"Casey Jones" (Garcia and Hunter) – 4:24
Originally released on the album Workingman's Dead.
"Mexicali Blues" (John Perry Barlow and Weir) – 3:24
Originally released on the Bob Weir album Ace.
"Turn On Your Love Light" (Deadric Malone and Joseph Scott) – 6:30 / 15:08 (2004 re-release)
Originally released on Live/Dead.
"One More Saturday Night" (Weir) – 4:45
Originally released on the album Europe '72.
"Friend of the Devil" (John Dawson, Garcia, and Hunter) – 3:20

Back