• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

61O-Ep4pFgL._SS500_.jpg

Abandoned Luncheonette -- CD

Daryl Hall & John Oates

1973 Atlantic Records

Best early Hall & Oates, September 11, 2000
By David Hugaert (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Abandoned Luncheonette (Audio CD)

"Abandoned Luncheonette" features the kind of music at which Daryl & John are most adept-Philly Soul. All the songs here are excellent, with the cream of the crop being "When The Morning Comes", "Las Vegas Turnaround", "I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)", the title track, "Lady Rain" and "Laughing Boy". "Everytime I Look At You" is the most soulful track on this CD, which has a "hillbilly" banjo and violin-laden instrumental at the end. This is probably as close to country that H & O ever got! This has to be the best CD in their entire catalog. Oh, and "Abandoned Luncheonette" also contains their first hit single, "She's Gone", which appeared on the Billboard charts on two separate occasions. If you are a fan of soul and/or pop music, you can't go wrong here. Please buy this CD!

"When The Morning Comes" (Daryl Hall) – 3:12
"Had I Known You Better Then" (John Oates) – 3:22
"Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" (Oates) – 2:57
"She's Gone" (Hall, Oates) – 5:15
"I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)" (Oates) – 3:20
"Abandoned Luncheonette" (Hall) – 3:55
"Lady Rain" (Hall, Oates) – 4:26
"Laughing Boy" (Hall) – 3:20
"Everytime I Look At You" (Hall) – 7:04

51zaXiuUQvL._SS500_.jpg

Power of the Pontchartrain -- CD

Tab Benoit with Louisiana's Leroux

2007 Telarc Blues

Amazon.com

Tab Benoit's album titles leave little doubt as to where he's from or the music he plays. Brother to the Blues, Fever for the Bayou, Wetlands, and now Power of the Pontchartrain exude the sweaty Louisiana swamp, blues, and R&B inherent in their names. But that only tells part of the story--the rest is in the grooves where Benoit's distinctive, grainy voice and tough Telecaster leads bring soul, grit, and intensity to a sound already infused with an earthy sensibility. There's more of the same on this disc, but that's no criticism. Benoit generally sticks with others' songs here, yet he unearths hidden gems. Julie Miller's "Midnight and Lonesome" is dragged into the murky swamps as a driving ballad with eerie qualities that live up to its name. Miller and husband Buddy are also credited with the righteous-yet-rugged gospel of "Shelter Me." "Somebody's Got to Go," originally by Lonnie Johnson, gets a crisp, frisky makeover, and even Buffalo Springfield's crusty "For What It's Worth" takes a swim in the muddy waters of Benoit's home state, with a little help of some altered, post-Katrina lyrics. The guitarist lets his Cajun influences fly on the bouncy rhythms of "Sac-Au-Lait Fishing," the album's only original, and shifts into pleading Otis Redding mode for the aching blues ballad "I'm Guilty of Lovin' You." The Chicago-by-way-of-the-Delta shuffle of "One Foot in the Bayou" is also an apt description of Benoit's approach. He touches on a variety of Americana styles, yet always keeps part of himself planted firmly in the wetlands of his roots. --Hal Horowitz

Track Listing
1. Don't Make No Sense
2. Good to Ya, Baby
3. Shelter Me
4. Power of the Pontchartrain
5. For What It's Worth
6. Midnight and Lonesome
7. Sac-au-Lait Fishing
8. Somebody's Got to Go
9. I'm Guilty of Lovin' You
10. Addicted
11. One Foot in the Bayou

1303885195.jpg

Medicine -- CD

Tab Benoit

2011 Telarc Records

"Medicine : What The Doctor Ordered"., April 26, 2011
By M. Mariba "the teacher" (pretoria, south africa) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Medicine (Audio CD)

This is a very interesting & great CD release by the blues maestro Tab Benoit, titled 'Medicine'. Tab Benoit himself reports a magical production of this 7th solo CD release : a great collaboration with guitarist/songwriter Anders Osborne who plays/uses blues legend B. B. King's famous 'Lucille' Gibson guitar on six tracks in this great new album, most of the tracks being recorded at first takes & Tab Benoit being very completely at ease with the services of David Z, a former original Prince and the Revolution band member (at engineering & producing this album). The result is a defining album yet released by Tab Benoit (described by his recording company as a 'hipper & groovier' album than anything he has done thus far!) This great new CD (11 tracks with 7 new tracks) & opens with the title track "Medicine" : a great blues track, very rich guitar sound that is reminiscent of guitarist Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac's solo sound). Other great tracks include "Sunrise" (a slow track with a wonderful guitar & great vocals reminiscent of that of Joe Cocker's), "A Whole Lotta Soul", "Come And Get It" (great up-tempo track with great lead guitar overdrive), "Broke And Lonely" (a 'staccato' blues sound, quite melodical & great vocals), "In It To Win It", "Can't You See" (up-tempo track with great guitar/violin/vocals combination) & "Mudboat Melissa" (great duet/harmony & violin). My favourite tracks/stand-outs/gems are "Long Lonely Bayou" (a slow beautiful track characterized by great guitar/violin combination with great vocals to match), "Nothing Takes The Place Of You" (a wonderful ballad, beautiful guitar/vocals & great melody) & "Next To Me" (great guitar/vocals building to a beautiful 'cresciendo'). There is no weak track on this great CD to really talk of. On overall, this is a fantastic CD release by the talented blues musician Tab Benoit, a highly recommended CD listening.

Track Listing
1. Medicine
2. Sunrise
3. A Whole Lotta Soul, A
4. Come and Get It
5. Broke and Lonely
6. Long Lonely Bayou
7. In It to Win It
8. Can't You See
9. Nothing Takes the Place of You
10. Next to Me
11. Mudboat Melissa

Today's work truck music...

687a228348a069ccfaa85110.L.jpg

Two Against Nature -- CD

Steely Dan

2000 Giant Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Never so much a band as the slyly crafted specter of one, Steely Dan's mid-1990s "return" to live performance was as surprising as it was perverse. They'd previously toured only once, round about the era of Watergate, pet rocks, and Shaft. A half-decade after their concert comeback and a mere 19 years after Gaucho seemingly closed out their recording career, the jazz-pop conceit of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen deliberately dropped back into a recording landscape where they weren't so much seasoned vets as alien ambassadors. Two Against Nature, indeed. The tack is instantly familiar: a musical/lyrical reconciliation of Monk and Newman, with familiar harmonic flourishes, nimble studio chops, and an icy, world-class cool, as willfully insulated from hip-hop and techno as it was from disco and Top 40. Less concerned with melodic hooks than a canny sophistication of mood and manner, Becker and Fagen never let a trite melody get in the way of a good story, whether their protagonists are plotting some nefarious obliquity ("Gaslighting Abby"), Southern-fried incest (the deliciously funky "Cousin DuPree"), or bleakly confronting dashed expectations ("What a Shame About Me"). A little more musically languorous perhaps, its trademark cynicism now undercut by hints of sadness and regret, this is nonetheless a Steely Dan album worthy of the name, and like the best of them, one whose subtle charms reveal themselves in surprising ways. -Jerry McCulley

All songs written by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen.

"Gaslighting Abbie" – 5:53
"What a Shame About Me" – 5:17
"Two Against Nature" – 6:17
"Janie Runaway" – 4:09
"Almost Gothic" – 4:09
"Jack of Speed" – 6:17
"Cousin Dupree" – 5:28
"Negative Girl" – 5:34
"West of Hollywood" – 8:21

Botch said:
Botch said:
large4939.jpg

Steven Wilson: Hand. Cannot. Erase.

I've listened to this one several times over the past 3-day weekend; from the video pics I've gathered this album is about a girl/woman growing up, but I haven't sat down with the lyrics as of yet. Tonight, I watched the "Extras" portion of the disk, and my interest has quadrupled.
First, Adam Holzman was the keyboard player! He was picked up, as a kid, to play keys by some guy named Miles Davis (!). He later released a couple albums under his own name (which I love), but I lost track of him over the last few years; glad he's still going.
The record was cut in a studio in London, whose name I didn't catch. It was a two-story open room, over half the wall space being glass (!). The "forward" wall (where the audience would be were they set up to play to a crowd) was about 60% flat glass windows; the two side walls were over 50% glass, but curved glass bending into the room (think "elevator tubes"). I would think that kind of room would be a nightmare to record in, with all the reflective surfaces. The audio says otherwise, of course.
Finally, the story-line: This album is based on the true-life story of a British girl, born in the countryside, nothing remarkable, who had a happy life growing up, eduction, and moved to the big city to start her career. She did well, had lots of friends and success, and then... died in her apartment. She wasn't missed, nor her body discovered, until three years later. :shock:
Wow, what a depressing story; I'll have to play the album again while following along on the lyric sheet. But not tonight.

Just finished my first listen to this one. I like it, more than the (only) other Wilson album I have - Grace for Drowning. Very interesting music. Watched part of the documentary extra, probably need to see it again, as I'm not familiar with Wilson in general and I'm not sure I "get" him just yet. But I like this album, and will be listening to it again to try to pick up more.

PaulyT said:
Very interesting music.
:violence-torch:
I would think an articulate PhD such as yourself would have an arsenal of adjectives - or at least a thesaurus - at his disposal, so as to not use the same adjective to describe everything from Progressive Rock to Jazz to Blues to Classical.

KGrHqYOKpkE1qylIVHlBNoJK-Ursg_3_zps23937ceb.jpg

Warm Your Heart -- 20-Bit K2 XRCD

Aaron Neville

1991/2000 Universal/JVC Japan

Compatible with all CD players. Originally released in 1991 and produced by Linda Ronstadt and George Massengill, Aaron Neville's Warm Your Heart is a collection of lush, rich songs that includes both originals and classic reinterpretations. Neville's voice is in absolute top form on the singles "Everybody Plays the Fool," "Somewhere, Somebody" and "Close Your Eyes." Rita Coolidge and Linda Rondstadt both appear as guest vocalists on a number of tracks while other contributing artists include slide guitarist Ry Cooder, saxophonist Plas Johnson, Bob Seger, Dr. John, Bob Glaub and Dean Parks.

This recording has been mastered by the K2 HD format of 24-bit 100kHz, which creates an unbelievable sound!

1. Louisiana 1927
2. Everybody Plays the Fool
3. It Feels Like Rain
4. Somewhere Somebody
5. Don't Go Please Stay
6. With You In Mind
7. That's the Way She Loves
8. Angola Bound
9. Close Your Eyes
10. La Vie Dansante
11. Warm Your Heart
12. I Bid You Goodnight
13. Ave Maria
14. House On a Hill

Zing said:
PaulyT said:
Very interesting music.
:violence-torch:
I would think an articulate PhD such as yourself would have an arsenal of adjectives - or at least a thesaurus - at his disposal, so as to not use the same adjective to describe everything from Progressive Rock to Jazz to Blues to Classical.

What an interesting notion.

Today's work truck music....

61hbflhuDyL.jpg

Impressions of Curtis Mayfield -- CD

Jazz Soul Seven

2012 BFM Jazz

Curtis Mayfield wasn't quite like anyone else, whether it was penning and singing the timeless hits of the Impressions ("It's All Right," "Move On Up," "I'm So Proud," "Keep On Pushing," "People Get Ready," "Gypsy Woman") or writing, arranging, and singing the sturdy, elegant funk explorations of his solo years ("Freddie's Dead," "Superfly"), he was always his own message to the world. This wonderful set features seven already accomplished jazz musicians (guitarist Phil Upchurch, drummer Terri Lynne Carrington, bassist Bob Hurst, trumpet player Wallace Roney, saxophonist Ernie Watts, keyboardist Russ Ferrante, and percussionist Master Henry Gibson) re-imagining some of Mayfield's classic compositions in a jazz ensemble setting. Calling itself Jazz Soul Seven, this remarkably versatile and fluid group of musicians has created a beautifully balanced and nuanced tribute to Mayfield, with classics like "People Get Ready," already a majestic recording in the original version by the Impressions, stretching in shining new directions. Mayfield had jazz elements in his own recordings from the start, so this set seems like an easy extension of his initial soundscapes, smooth, easy, and with an onward rhythmic energy. ~ Steve Leggett

Track Listing
1. Freddie's Dead
2. It's All Right
3. Move On Up
4. We're a Winner
5. Superfly
6. Beautiful Brother of Mine
7. Check Out Your Mind
8. I'm So Proud
9. Keep On Pushing
10. People Get Ready
11. Gypsy Woman
12. Amen

Personnel: Phil Upchurch (guitar); Ernie Watts (saxophone); Wallace Roney (trumpet); Russ Ferrante (piano); Terri Lyne Carrington (drums); Master Henry Gibson (percussion).Audio Mixer: Tom Luekens.Liner Note Author: A. Scott Galloway.Recording information: The Bakery, North Hollywood, CA.Photographer: Markus Cuff.Arranger: Phil Upchurch.

Happy Saturday everyone... :banana-dance:

71xEG5gWj-L.jpg

Bossa Antigua -- Remastered CD

Paul Desmond featuring Jim Hall

1965/1999 RCA Victor Records

Bossa Antigua picks up the samba-based rim shots of drummer Connie Kay on Take Ten and tries to make a whole new record out of them. While the title track duplicates the original percolating groove of "El Prince," other tracks like "Samba Cantina" revert to a typical bossa nova rhythm of the period, which leads one to conclude that "bossa antigua" is merely whatever Desmond says it is. Of the album's two non-originals, "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes," of course, is made-to-order for Desmond's wistful, sophisticated temperament, and he delivers exactly what a Desmond devotee would expect and love; and "A Ship Without a Sail" has some memorable off-the-cuff solo ideas. Jim Hall is around again to lend subtle rhythm support and low-key savvy in his solos, and like many Desmond companions of this period, he makes a fine sparring partner in the contrapuntal exchanges. The Brubeck Quartet's Gene Wright again lends a sturdy hand on bass. The playing is wonderful throughout, though just missing the full-throttle inspiration of Take Ten. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Bossa Antigua
2. Night Has a Thousand Eyes, The
3. O Gato
4. Samba Cantina
5. Curaçao Doloroso
6. Ship Without a Sail
7. Alianca - (alternate take)
8. Girl From East 9th Street, The
9. Night Has a Thousand Eyes, The - (alternate take)
10. Samba Cepeda
11. O Gato - (alternate take)

This 1999 reissue contains three bonus tracks not on the original release.Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Jim Hall (guitar); Eugene Wright, Gene Cherico (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Audio Remasterer: Joe Lopes.

51lgTprqDTL.jpg

Recorded Fall 1961 -- 24 Bit Remastered CD

Stan Getz - Bob Brookmeyer

1961/2002 Verve Master Edition

Shortly after returning to the U.S. (following three years in Copenhagen) Stan Getz had a musical reunion with Bob Brookmeyer. As usual the cool-toned tenor blends in very well with the valve trombonist and, backed by a fine rhythm section (pianist Steve Kuhn, bassist John Neves and drummer Roy Haynes), they perform three Brookmeyer pieces (including one titled "Minuet Circa '61"), two standards and Buck Clayton's "Love Jumped Out." This little-known session is often quite memorable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Minuet Circa '61
2. Who Could Care?
3. Nice Work If You Can Get It
4. Thump, Thump Thump
5. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
6. Love Jumped Out

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone); Steve Kuhn (piano); John Neves (bass); Roy Haynes (drums).Recorded at Nola Studios, New York, New York in September 1961. Originally released on Verve (8418). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Loren Schoenberg.All tracks have been digitally remastered

0000024789_500.jpg

These Are Soulful Days -- CD

Benny Green - Russell Malone - Christian McBride

1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Always an effusive pianist with a relentlessly melodic approach, Benny Green celebrates Blue Note's 60th Anniversary by culling eight tunes from the label's back catalog and cutting loose with a drummerless trio that includes former cohorts Russell Malone on guitar and bassist Christian McBride. The harmonic rapport of Green and Malone is immediately apparent in their exacting unison lines to open Horace Silver's "Virgo," which also features McBride's resonant bow work. No longer a wunderkind, the 36-year-old Green solos with youthful intensity (check the dynamic force of "Bellarosa") but also showcases his ensemble maturity by shouldering some of the rhythmic duty and giving Malone ample space to explore a more kinetic side of his muse. Malone's chords, Green's left hand, and McBride's yeoman time-keeping provide plenty of percussive context. Saving the best for last, the trio returns to Silver for a bluesy "Come On Home" that inspires Malone into perhaps the most commanding uptempo passages of his career thus far. --Britt Robson

Track listing:
1. Virgo 4:19
2. Bellarosa 5:41
3. Summer Nights 5:00
4. Punjab 5:40
5. These Are Soulful Days 6:48
6. Ernie's Tune 3:03
7. Hocus-Pocus 6:06
8. Come on Home 8:07

1372225b9da0044041764110.L.jpg

Oscar & Benny -- 20 Bit CD

Oscar Peterson & Benny Green

1998 Telarc Jazz

Piano Titans Lock Horns, July 25, 1999
By Emmett T. McQueen (Occupied Calif) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oscar & Benny (Audio CD)

This is a thoroughly enjoyable CD, pairing the crem de la crem of the jazz piano world. Most people rate Oscar Peterson as one of the most swingingest melodists of the later part of the twentieth century but I think his nomination as best percussionist should be considered after hearing this CD. Benny Green is the most complete and interesting pianist since Bill Evans. I've never been disappointed by his playing whether in concert or in the studio. When you listen to Oscar and Benny trade fours on "The More I See You" or "Limehouse Blues" and juxtapose their playing you can obtain a clearer glimpse into each artist's style. A TEN on the groove-o-meter!

"For All We Know" (J. Fred Coots, Sam M. Lewis) - 5:38
"When Lights Are Low" (Benny Carter, Spencer Williams) - 6:50
"Yours Is My Heart Alone" (Ludwig Herzer, Franz Lehár, Beda Fritz Loehner) - 5:14
"Here's That Rainy Day" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 6:36
"The More I See You" (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren) - 5:39
"Limehouse Blues" (Phillip Braham, Douglas Furber) - 4:18
"Easy Does It" (Sy Oliver, Trummy Young) - 7:31
"Someday My Prince Will Come" (Frank Churchill, Larry Morey) - 5:31
"Scrapple from the Apple" (Charlie Parker) - 5:45
"Jitterbug Waltz" (Richard Maltby, Jr., Fats Waller) - 6:51
"Barbara's Blues" (Oscar Peterson) - 8:18

51Ih4f1sBJL.jpg

Quartet -- Remastered CD

Gerry Mulligan - Paul Desmond

1957/1993 Verve Records

This is the first recorded collaboration of baritone saxophone great Gerry Mulligan and the witty alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. Despite hardly any preparation for these recording sessions, the two men complement one another's playing beautifully, as both of them were highly melodic improvisers. Desmond brought three originals to the sessions: the driving "Blues in Time," the soft ballad "Wintersong" (which is based on the chord changes to "These Foolish Things"), and "Battle Hymn of the Republican" (which is actually a complex reworking of "Tea for Two"). Mulligan's contributions include his earlier hit "Line for Lyons," "Stand Still" (based on "My Heart Stood Still"), and the Latin-tinged "Fall Out" (taken from "Let's Fall in Love"). Mulligan was clearly annoyed when told that three unissued tracks ("Tea for Two," "Lover," and an alternate take of "Wintersong") had been added to the CD reissue, but was clearly amused at the accidental and unlisted first take of "Lover," which falls apart after a minute-and-a-half and is followed by some discussion. Bassist Joe Benjamin and drummer Dave Bailey provide excellent rhythmic support throughout this highly recommended CD. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Blues in Time
2. Body and Soul
3. Stand Still
4. Line for Lyons
5. Wintersong-Take 1 - (take 1)
6. Battle Hymn of the Republican
7. Fall Out
8. Tea for Two - (previously unreleased)
9. take 2) Wintersong-Take 2 - (previously unreleased
10. Lover - (previously unreleased)
11. [Untitled Track] - (hidden track)

Quartet.Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Joe Benjamin (acoustic bass); Dave Bailey (drums).Recorded at Capitol Records Studio, Los Angeles, California, on August 2, 1957 and Fine Sound Studio, New York, on August 27, 1957. Originally released on Verve MGV (8246). Includes liner notes by Harvey Pekar and Nat Hentoff

StanGetzKennyBarronPeopleTime.jpg

People Time -- Remastered 2 CD Set

Stan Getz & Kenny Barron

1992 Verve/Gitanes Jazz

Amazon.com essential recording

This album, a series of duets laying the wondrously inquisitive piano of Kenny Barron next to the breathy, half-lit tenor of Stan Getz, was both the last public appearance and the final recording in the life of Getz. Recorded with astonishing clarity live at Copenhagen's Montmartre Café, People Time serves as a passionate coda to the life of this great saxophonist. Many of the tunes seem chosen for their emotional content, as if Getz were aware this might be his swan song. Speculation aside, this is a remarkably gorgeous, exquisitely paced recording. Throughout, Getz and Barron exhibit both a deep understanding of the material as well as sympathetic, truly harmonious playing. Never rushed, never brash, People Time lingers over melodies, fleshing them out and extracting every ounce of feeling. A must-have for fans of both artists. --S. Duda

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. East of the Sun (West of the Moon)
2. Night and Day
3. I'm O. K.
4. Like Someone in Love
5. Stablemates
6. I Remember Clifford
7. Gone With the Wind

DISC 2:
1. First Song
2. No Greater Love, (There Is)
3. Surrey With the Fringe on Top, The
4. People Time
5. Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise
6. Hush-a-Bye
7. Soul Eyes

51ONWyBC0cL.jpg

...Remember Zoot Sims - The Red Door -- CD

Scott Hamilton & Bucky Piazarelli

1998 Concord Records

As of 1998, when this CD was released, Scott Hamilton had recorded over 30 albums as a leader for Concord. Although all are quite worthwhile, the swing tenor's consistency and unchanged style since the 1970s have resulted in a certain sameness and predictability to his recordings. This release, however, definitely stands apart from the crowd, for it is a set of tenor/guitar duets that Hamilton performs with Bucky Pizzarelli. A tribute to Zoot Sims (one of Hamilton's early influences), this is a very successful outing. Pizzarelli's mastery of the seven-string guitar allows him to play basslines behind solos, so one never misses the other instruments. Although the duo performs a variety of standards, there are also some lesser-known pieces among the highlights including the title cut, Al Cohn's "Two Funky People," the Sims/Cohn collaboration "Morning Fun," and the obscure "In the Middle of a Kiss." Both Hamilton and Pizzarelli sound inspired in this format, stretching themselves while always swinging. Pizz had recorded a duo album with Sims back in 1973, and Zoot also cut a full set with guitarist Joe Pass a couple years later. This excellent, slightly offbeat outing is on the same level as those two and is highly recommended to fans of swinging mainstream jazz. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. It Had to Be You
2. Ain't I Good to You Gee Baby
3. The Red Door
4. Dream of You
5. Jitterbug Waltz
6. Two Funky People
7. Just Me Just You
8. In the Middle of a Kiss
9. Morning Fun
10. It's All Right With Me

Personnel: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Bucky Pizzareli (acoustic & electric guitars).Recorded at Giant Recording Studios, New York, New York on March 22, 1995. Includes liner notes by Wayne Thompson.

PaulyT said:
Botch said:
Botch said:
large4939.jpg

Steven Wilson: Hand. Cannot. Erase.

I've listened to this one several times over the past 3-day weekend; from the video pics I've gathered this album is about a girl/woman growing up, but I haven't sat down with the lyrics as of yet. Tonight, I watched the "Extras" portion of the disk, and my interest has quadrupled.
First, Adam Holzman was the keyboard player! He was picked up, as a kid, to play keys by some guy named Miles Davis (!). He later released a couple albums under his own name (which I love), but I lost track of him over the last few years; glad he's still going.
The record was cut in a studio in London, whose name I didn't catch. It was a two-story open room, over half the wall space being glass (!). The "forward" wall (where the audience would be were they set up to play to a crowd) was about 60% flat glass windows; the two side walls were over 50% glass, but curved glass bending into the room (think "elevator tubes"). I would think that kind of room would be a nightmare to record in, with all the reflective surfaces. The audio says otherwise, of course.
Finally, the story-line: This album is based on the true-life story of a British girl, born in the countryside, nothing remarkable, who had a happy life growing up, eduction, and moved to the big city to start her career. She did well, had lots of friends and success, and then... died in her apartment. She wasn't missed, nor her body discovered, until three years later. :shock:
Wow, what a depressing story; I'll have to play the album again while following along on the lyric sheet. But not tonight.

Just finished my first listen to this one. I like it, more than the (only) other Wilson album I have - Grace for Drowning. Very interesting music. Watched part of the documentary extra, probably need to see it again, as I'm not familiar with Wilson in general and I'm not sure I "get" him just yet. But I like this album, and will be listening to it again to try to pick up more.

This is my first exposure to Steven Wilson and his music.............

I listened to the 5.1 LPCM Track first and then the Documentary Extra.............. WOW, JUST FREAKIN' WOW. I then listened again but to the DTS 5.1 Master.

I will be listening to Raven and Grace very soon and looking into other stuff by him. The musicians that play with him are just incredible, did I say WOW! His writing and other recording skills.....

I love this kind of music........................

Back