• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

81xtEFZ2BXqL_zps431f2189.jpg

The King James Version -- CD

Harry James & His Big Band

1976 Sheffield Labs

A Crowning Achievement, April 14, 2009
By Edward Abbott "American Audiophile"
This review is from: the king james version LP (Vinyl)

In late July 1976, trumpeter Harry James recorded enough music for two LPs. This particular set gives one a good sampling of his 1976 orchestra and finds James happy to emulate the swing sound of Count Basie. The arrangements, by Ernie Wilkins, Thad Jones, Ray Conniff, Dave Matthews, Rob Turk and Jimmy Haskell, are top drawer (other than the fact that James decided to record "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago), and the sidemen, are some of the best. James was playing well enough this late in his career, to once again reaffirm his legend in jazz and that says volumes about this LP. Very Highly recommeded.

Track Listing:

1 Corner Pocket
2 Lara's Theme (From Dr. Zhivago)
3 Cherokee
4 More Splutie, Please
5 Traces
6 Don't Be That Way
7 Sweet Georgia Brown
8 Shiny Stockings
9 Blues Stay Away from Me

Credits of The King James Version

Doug Sax Producer, Liner Notes, Remastering Norman Smith Saxophone
Tommy Todd Piano
Dave Stone Bass
Chuck Anderson Trombone
Chuck Peterson Trombone
Mel Kunkle Saxophone
Tom Padveen Trombone
William Hicks Trumpet
Fred Hall Liner Notes
Pat Longo Saxophone
Les DeMerle Drums
Houston Peterson Trombone (Bass)
Gino Bozzacco Trumpet
Nick Buono Trumpet
Quinn Davis Saxophone Ernie Wilkins
Bob Lawson Saxophone
Lincoln Mayorga Producer
Harry James Trumpet, Performer, Main Performer

heeman said:
This is my first exposure to Steven Wilson and his music.............

I listened to the 5.1 LPCM Track first and then the Documentary Extra.............. WOW, JUST FREAKIN' WOW.

I love this kind of music........................

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: Glad you're liking it, Keith! :handgestures-thumbup:
He also led a band called Porcupine Tree, I don't have any of those recordings yet but I believe some were also done in Surround.

Botch said:
heeman said:
This is my first exposure to Steven Wilson and his music.............

I listened to the 5.1 LPCM Track first and then the Documentary Extra.............. WOW, JUST FREAKIN' WOW.

I love this kind of music........................

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: Glad you're liking it, Keith! :handgestures-thumbup:
He also led a band called Porcupine Tree, I don't have any of those recordings yet but I believe some were also done in Surround.

Botch,

After seeing the Extra Documentary and his whole attitude about the project, I actually got emotionally attached, this happens to me from time to time.

I can't wait to listen to Raven and Grace, maybe this weekend.

Keith

maxresdefault.jpg

:music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening:

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-rock:

6bafa2c008a0131c31e38010.L.jpg

The Complete Aladdin Recordings -- 2 Remastered CD Set

Lester Young

1995 Blue Note Records

Although it has often been written that cool-toned tenor saxophonist Lester Young's experiences with racism in the military during 1944-1945 so scarred him that he never played at the same musical level as he had previously, the music on this essential two-CD reissue disproves that theory. It is true that his attitude toward life was affected and Young became somewhat self-destructive, but his postwar solos rank with the greatest work of his career. This two-fer, which has four selections from 1942 in which Young is heard in a trio with pianist Nat King Cole and bassist Red Callender and a rare 1945 session headed by singer Helen Humes (including a previously unknown instrumental "Riffin' Without Helen"), is mostly taken up with Young's very enjoyable 1945-1948 small-group dates. Highlights include "D.B. Blues," "Jumpin' with Symphony Sid" (which was a minor hit), "Sunday," and "New Lester Leaps In," among many others. Minor errors aside (trumpeter Snooky Young is left out of the personnel listing for the Humes date and Young's final Aladdin session is from 1948, not 1947), this is a well-conceived and brilliant set filled with exciting performances by one of the true greats of jazz. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. Indiana
2. I Can't Get Started
3. Tea for Two
4. Body and Soul
5. D.B. Blues
6. Lester Blows Again
7. These Foolish Things
8. Jumpin' at Mesner's
9. It's Only a Paper Moon
10. After You've Gone
11. Lover, Come Back to Me
12. Jammin' with Lester
13. You're Driving Me Crazy
14. New Lester Leaps In
15. Lester's Be Bop Shop
16. She's Funny That Way
17. Sunday
18. S.M. Blues

DISC 2:
1. Jumpin' with Symphony Sid
2. No Eyes Blues
3. Sax-O-Be-Bop
4. On the Sunny Side of the Street
5. Easy Does It
6. Easy Does It - (alternate take)
7. Movin' with Lester
8. One O'Clock Jump
9. Jumpin' at the Woodside
10. I'm Confessin'
11. Lester Smooths It Out
12. Just Cooling
13. Tea for Two
14. East of the Sun
15. Sheik of Araby
16. Something to Remember You By
17. Riffin' Without Helen - (previously unreleased)
18. Please Let Me Forget
19. He Don't Love Me Anymore
20. Pleasing Man Blues
21. See See Rider
22. It's Better to Give Than Receiving

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Helen Humes (vocals); Willie Smith (alto saxophone); Maxwell Davis (tenor saxophone); Howard McGhee, Shorty McConnell (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Dodo Marmarosa, Nat Cole, Wesley Jones, Joe Albany, Argonne "Sadik Hakim" Thornton, Gene DiNovi, Jimmy Bunn (piano); Irving Ashby, Fred Lacey, Nasir Barakaat, Chuck Wayne, Dave Barbour (guitar); Red Callender, Curtis Counce, Rodney Richardson, Ted Briscoe, Curly Russell, Junior Rudd (bass); Henry Tucker, Johnny Otis, Chico Hamilton, Lyndell Marshall, Roy Haynes, Tiny Kahn (drums).Producers: Norman Granz, Leonard Feather.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded in Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; New York, New York between July 15, 1942 and December 29, 1947. Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.

548541.jpg

He Touched Me - The Gospel Music of: -- 2 CD Set

Elvis Presley

1999/2005 Sony-Coming Home Music

Essential Elvis Gospel, May 12, 2005
By Thomas A. Penny (Ellicott City, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: He Touched Me: The Gospel Music of Elvis Presley (Audio CD)
This is truly a superior Elvis Gospel Anthology. Everything you could want is here on two discs. But what sets it apart is on Disc 2. Tracks 5-9 are recordings of Elvis around the piano with, probably, the Stamps, casually singing gospel as he was so fond of doing after shows late into the wee hours of the morning. It is breathtaking. For true Elvis fans, or fans of great Southern Gospel, this is a must have for your collection.

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Crying In The Chapel
2. His Hand In Mine
3. Joshua Fit The Battle
4. So High
5. If We Never Meet Again
6. Milky White Way
7. Stand By Me
8. Somebody Bigger Than You And I
9. I Believe In The Man
10. In The Garden
11. Mansion Over The Hilltop
12. Farther Along
13. Where No One Stands Alone
14. I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs
15. Without Him
16. Working On The Building
17. You'll Never Walk Alone
18. Swing Down Sweet Chariot
19. Where Could I Go But The Lord
20. In The Ghetto

Disc: 2

1. (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)
2. I Believe
3. Take My Hand, Precious Lord
4. It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)
5. I, John
6. Bosom If Abraham
7. You Better Run
8. Lead Me, Guide Me/Turn Your Eyes Upon jesus/Nearer My God To Thee
9. He Touched Me
10. I've Got Confidence
11. Amazing Grace
12. A Thing Called Love
13. A Thing Called Love
14. Put Your Hand In The Hand
15. Reach Out To Jesus
16. If That Isn't Love
17. Bridge Over Troubled Water
18. An American Trilogy
19. Why Me Lord
20. How Great Thou Art

51-j7TCeNTL._SS500_.jpg

Left of Cool -- CD

Bela Fleck and The Flecktones

1998 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

What's left for Bela Fleck? Bluegrass, rock, jazz, classical, rock, folk--he's explored them all. After an epic, Grammy-winning live album, Fleck returns to the studio for a surprisingly subtle, intricate suite of instrumentals--and a number of vocal tracks--combining his usual daring on banjo with mandolin, synths, and theremin. The record is a dreamy soundtrack of reggae, pop, world beat, and techno, merging into an ambient-vibe-spin-club-funk-jazz (such a cumbersome label for his agile music). The most satisfying moments come with the most lovely melodies--as on the lilting "Big Country"--when Fleck's traditional soul rises with a clear voice through the virtuosity and studio wizardry.--Roy Francis Kasten
Jazz Times

On 15 tracks [Bela Fleck] supplements [the bluegrass banjo] with mandolin, synthesizer, sitar, various guitars and the multi-stringed theramin. The result is a wonderfully wild musical outing.
Note: the liner notes swap tracks 6 and 7. The list below reflects the tracks as they are ordered on the album itself.

"Throwdown At The Hoedown" (Béla Fleck) – 5:09
"Communication" (music: Fleck/Future Man; lyrics: Fleck) – 4:16
"Big Country" (Fleck) – 5:31
"Sojourn Of Arjuna" (music: Victor Wooten/Future Man; lyrics: Future Man, adapted from Bhagavad Gita) – 5:27
"Let Me Be The One" (music: Wooten/Fleck/Future Man; lyrics: Fleck) – 4:38
"Trane To Conamarra" (Fleck/Jeff Coffin) – 6:48
"Almost 12" (Wooten/Fleck/Future Man) – 3:15
"Step Quiet" (Fleck/Sarah Mason) – 4:02
"Oddity" (Fleck) – 5:32
"Sleeping Dogs Lie" (Fleck) – 4:02
"Trouble and Strife" (Fleck) – 5:15
"Slow Walker" (Fleck) – 5:23
"shanti" (Fleck/Coffin) – 5:12
"The Big Blink" (Fleck) – 7:57
"Prelude To Silence" (Future Man) – 3:55

_58_zpsb45d6882.jpg

The Sheriff -- Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1964/2012 Atlantic Records (Import W.Germany)

Recorded in 1963, The Sheriff features the Modern Jazz Quartet in fine swinging form. The program is not as sharply focused as on some of the earlier Atlantic releases, but it is compelling nonetheless. There are four originals by pianist John Lewis, including the fleeting, bluesy title cut, and the moody, spacious "In a Crowd," -- originally composed for the 1961 film A Milanese Story. Its stepped-up time signature and series of phrases played by Milt Jackson grounds the tune in blues, but Lewis' solo feels more like a solo trumpet breezing through the center. The set includes Heitor Villa-Lobos' "Bachianas Brasileiras," a classical piece the quartet first performed with guitarist Laurindo Almeida. Bassist Percy Heath is stellar here, playing both arco and pizzicato and alternately moving the work forward with deftness and precision. Lewis and Jackson engage in gorgeous counterpoint throughout. It's knotty, but exotic and beautiful. Another Latin-based work here is Luiz Bonfa's brilliant "Carnival," which closes the set. Jackson's melodic interplay with Connie Kay's brushwork is subtle and rich, moving through a series of verses before Jackson takes it to the blues in his solo. Lewis keeps the pulse as Heath underscores the backbeat. It took a long while for this one to come out on CD in the United States, but Wounded Bird issued it in April of 2005. Review by Thom Jurek

All compositions by John Lewis except as indicated

"The Sheriff" - 2:41
"In a Crowd" - 3:05
"Bachianas Brasileiras" (Heitor Villa-Lobos) - 5:44
"Mean to Me" (Fred E. Ahlert, Roy Turk) - 4:24
"Natural Affection" - 4:08
"Donnie's Theme" - 4:13
"Carnival" (Luiz Bonfá) - 6:06

Milt Jackson - vibraphone
John Lewis - piano
Percy Heath - bass
Connie Kay - drums

Happy Monday everyone... :shifty:

c5be71a88da050f222e1e110.L.jpg

Cry Like A Rainstorm Howl Like The Wind -- CD

Linda Ronstadt Featuring Aaron Neville

1989 Elektra Records

Amazon.com essential recording

An album that defines virtually everything that is right about adult contemporary pop--and yes, there are a few things--Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind contains lush, orchestrated arrangements of songs by first-rate tunesmiths such as Jimmy Webb, Eric Kaz, Paul Carrack, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill, Isaac Hayes, and Karla Bonoff. Four cuts, including the Grammy-winning "Don't Know Much," feature duets between Ronstadt (still singing with power and assurance even at the top of her range) and angel-voiced Aaron Neville. Other highlights include "Adios," with multitracked background vocals by Brian Wilson, and the title song, which is driven to new heights by the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra and the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir. Beautiful stuff. --Daniel Durchholz

1. Still Within the Sound of My Voice - Aaron Neville, Linda Ronstadt
2. Cry Like a Rainstorm - Aaron Neville, Linda Ronstadt, Linda Ronstadt
3. All My Life - Aaron Neville, Linda Ronstadt, Linda Ronstadt
4. I Need You
5. Don't Know Much - Aaron Neville, Linda Ronstadt, Linda Ronstadt
6. Adios
7. Trouble Again
8. I Keep It Hid
9. So Right, So Wrong
10. Shattered
11. When Something Is Wrong with My Baby
12. Goodbye My Friend

^ Thanks Dennie, I got to listen to this one again soon, we played it all the time when it first came out. The Duets with Linda and Aaron are about as good as it gets!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
^ Thanks Dennie, I got to listen to this one again soon, we played it all the time when it first came out. The Duets with Linda and Aaron are about as good as it gets!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

You are welcome Kieth. I remember seeing them on "Johnny Carson" and thought she lost her mind, until I heard them sing.

hqdefault.jpg

I bought the cassette tape the next day. They are amazing together! :music-rockout:

Dennie.... :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

41NFGPSCQKL.jpg

Anthology -- 2 Remastered CD's

Nina Simone

2003 RCA/BMG Heritage

Issued just months after the great singer's death, this anthology accomplishes what virtually every other attempt failed to do: definitively represent all the stages of Nina Simone's career. This double-disc set encompasses her entire career, and though the lion's share of the material may come from RCA (where she spent the longest part of her career), it includes recordings from every label she recorded for, including Bethlehem, Colpix, Philips, CTI, and Elektra. There are 31 tracks in all, and virtually every one is essential Simone. She was virtually limitless in her abilities to cover almost any genre in her way, and while there are other collections that address different parts of Simone's career more completely, this is the only one most fans and curiosity seekers will ever need. Review by Thom Jurek

Track Listings

Disc: 1
1. I Loves You, Porgy
2. My Baby Just Cares For Me
3. The Other Woman
4. Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair
5. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
6. Trouble In Mind
7. Mississippi Goddam
8. See Line Woman
9. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
10. I Put A Spell On You
11. Ne Me Quitte Pas
12. Strange Fruit
13. Four Women
14. Sinnerman
15. Do I Move You?

Disc: 2
1. I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl
2. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free
3. The Glory Of Love
4. To Love Somebody
5. Do What You Gotta Do
6. Ain't Got No-I Got Life
7. Why? (The King Of Love Is Dead)
8. Everyone's Gone To The Moon
9. Revolution
10. To Be Young, Gifted And Black
11. Who Knows Where The Time Goes
12. Here Comes The Sun
13. Just Like A Woman
14. Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter
15. Rich Girl
16. A Single Woman

Today's work truck music...

51-go9tZIwL.jpg

Two Men With The Blues -- CD

Willie Nelson / Wynton Marsalis

2008 Blue Note Records

Historic: American Masters at Play July 9, 2008
By Dr. Debra Jan Bibel TOP 500 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

Everyone knew that this summit of master musicians would be special. The session was recently broadcast on National Public Radio's Jazz at Lincoln Center, and as we already have an Amazon video excerpt of the event, we can expect to see the entire meeting on PBS, with DVD as pledge gift. The CD, however, has had the opportunity for further electronic mixing and improvements by Delfeayo Marsalis and Jeff Jones. So what can we say about the quality of the music and the personalities? How many superlatives are there? But you first must be a Willie Nelson fan and you must be a jazz enthusiast who honors Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Jazz folk for their precision and urban sophisticated development of New Orleans roots. Thus if you are among that very large number of music lovers, you must own this recording. Even the insert notes and photos are nicely done. As for the selections, we have Nelson's own oft recorded theme song, Georgia on My Mind, and we also have Stardust, which was included in the album of the same title that demonstrated that Nelson was more than a country singer; indeed that album is his all-time best seller. I, however, enjoyed Rainy Day Blues and the other tunes that follow, which are what the album is supposed to be about: the blues. This album is simply fun. You will love it.

"Bright Lights Big City" – 5:20
"Night Life" – 5:44
"Caldonia" – 3:25
"Stardust" – 5:08
"Basin Street Blues" – 4:56
"Georgia On My Mind" – 4:40
"Rainy Day Blues" – 5:43
"My Bucket's Got a Hole In It" (Williams) – 4:56
"Ain't Nobody's Business" – 7:27
"That's All" (Merle Travis) – 6:08

51Yke-HZcwL._SS500_.jpg

These Dreams - Heart Greatest Hits -- CD

Heart

1997 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

Heart is another hard rocking band whose career falls into two categories, Before The Fall and After The Fall. The rock-as-act-of-seduction "Crazy on You," was a powerhouse with its acoustic intro that eventually led to an orgiastic vocal crescendo, thanks to Ann Wilson's throaty pipes. "Magic Man" was their entry into the 1970s-rock-opus category, with its epic guitar and synth solos. The ballsy "Barricuda" and the lilting "Dog and Butterfly" and "Dreamboat Annie" showed the band could deliver the goods, regardless of tempo or volume. Then came The Fall, a several-year long period when the Wilson sisters couldn't get a hit if they had targets painted on their backs. Heart eventually pulled it back together with power rock ballads, including "What About Love" and "These Dreams." The band continued in this vein through the rest of the 1980s, turning in the occasional rocker like "Never." Overall, These Dreams--Heart's Greatest Hits is a fine sampling of the band's career. Particularly interesting is the acoustic version of "Straight On," which--in its original form--had the band convincingly flexing some funk muscle. --Steve Gdula

"Crazy On You"
"All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You"
"If Looks Could Kill"
"Never"
"Alone"
"Who Will You Run To"
"Straight On" (Live Acoustic)
"Magic Man"
"What About Love"
"Dreamboat Annie"
"Dog & Butterfly" (Live Acoustic)
"Nothin' At All"
"Heartless"
"Stranded"
"Will You Be There (In the Morning)"
"These Dreams"
"Barracuda" (Live)

61EPYG2GbeL_zpsc667ce52.jpg

Super Chief -- Remastered CD

Count Basie

1936-42/2007 Columbia/Wounded Bird Records

This very interesting two-LP set has quite a variety of material from the 1936-42 period, including a few airchecks, small-group sessions led by Mildred Bailey, Harry James, Glenn Harriman and Teddy Wilson (all feature Basie sidemen), and some studio sessions by both Basie's orchestra and small groups from his big band. Along with the rarities is the very first post-Bennie Moten session, a quintet date (under the pseudonym of Jones-Smith Incorporated) from 1936 that served as the recording debut of Lester Young; "Lady Be Good" was one of his greatest solos. This two-LP set is highly recommended, if you can find it. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Shoe Shine Boy
2. Evenin'
3. Boogie Woogie
4. Oh Lady Be Good
5. Shout and Feel It
6. Every Tub
7. Where Shall I Go (Song of the Wanderer)
8. The Moon Got in My Eyes
9. It's a Natural Thing to Do
10. Life Goes to a Party
11. Upright Organ Blues
12. Who?
13. I've Found a New Baby
14. If Dreams Come True

DISC 2:
1. Miss Thing
2. Bolero at the Savoy
3. Let's Make Hey While the Moon Shines
4. Somebody Stole My Gal
5. Super Chief
6. It's the Same Old South
7. Love Jumped Out
8. I Ain't Got Nobody
9. Going to Chicago Blues
10. (Let Me) Live and Love Tonight
11. Love Me or Leave Me
12. Sugar Blues
13. Cafe Society Blues
14. St. Louis Blues

Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Helen Humes, Jimmy Rushing, Mildred Bailey, Billie Holiday (vocals); Freddie Green (guitar); Lester Young (clarinet, saxophone, tenor saxophone); Herschel Evans (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Ed Hall, Buster Bailey (clarinet); Jack Washington (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Earle Warren, Tab Smith (alto saxophone); Don Byas, Paul Bascomb, Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Carl "The Truth" Smith, Ed Lewis, Harry "Sweets" Edison , Harry James, Lee Castle, Shad Collins, Bobby Moore , Buck Clayton (trumpet); Dicky Wells, Eddie Durham, Benny Morton's All Stars, George Hunt, Dan Minor (trombone); Jess Stacy, Teddy Wilson, James Sherman (piano); Jo Jones (drums).Recording information: 10/09/1936-07/24/1942.

80497220eca0bee04cb98010.L.jpg

Moondance -- CD

Van Morrison

1970/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Van Morrison went a long way towards defining his wild Irish heart with his first two classic albums: the brooding, introspective Astral Weeks (1968), and the expansive, swinging Moondance. If the first was the work of a poet, its sequel was the statement of a musician and bandleader. Moondance is that rare rock album where the band has buffed the arrangements to perfection, and where the sax solos instead of the guitar. The band puts out a jazzy shuffle on "Moondance" and plays it soulful on "These Dreams of You." The album includes both Morrison's most romantic ballad ("Crazy Love") and his most haunting ("Into the Mystic"). "And It Stoned Me" rolled off Morrison's tongue like a favorite fable, while "Caravan" told a tale full of emotional intrigue. Moondance stood out in the rock world of 1970 like a grownup in a kiddie matinee. --John Milward

Side one

1. "And It Stoned Me" – 4:30
2. "Moondance" – 4:35
3. "Crazy Love" – 2:34
4. "Caravan" – 4:57
5. "Into the Mystic" – 3:25

Side two

1. "Come Running" – 2:30
2. "These Dreams of You" – 3:50
3. "Brand New Day" – 5:09
4. "Everyone" – 3:31
5. "Glad Tidings" – 3:13

51dXfSoORRL.jpg

Live In Texas -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1999 MCA Records

Amazon.com

One decade's oddity is the next decade's institution. Or at least that's been the case with Lyle Lovett. The Lone Star eccentric emerged in the 1980s ostensibly as a country artist, but it became clear pretty quickly that a Southern accent and a pair of cowboy boots does not a Nashville favorite make. In time, however, Lovett's free-range brand of swing, blues, gospel, folk, and whatever has been embraced by a coterie of fans who have as little interest in genres as their hero. Live in Texas is something of a valentine to them--as well as an in-concert 13-year career summary for the uninitiated. Rife with live staples ("That's Right," "If I Had a Boat," "She's No Lady," and "North Dakota," which features an appearance by Rickie Lee Jones), the 14-track showcase certifies what loyalists have known for years: Lovett is one of the best bandleaders around. He and his crack crew get big and get small as needed, punching up uptempo numbers with brass or stripping down to the bare essentials for ballads. Taking it all in, one can't help concluding there's absolutely nothing odd about that. --Steven Stolder

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as indicated.

"Penguins" – 2:35
"I've Been to Memphis" – 4:35
"That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 5:06
"Nobody Knows Me" – 3:07
"If I Had a Boat" – 3:19
"North Dakota" featuring Rickie Lee Jones (Lovett, Ramsey) – 6:28
"She's No Lady" – 3:43
"Here I Am" – 4:16
"What Do You Do?" – 2:57
"Wild Women Don't Get the Blues" (Cox) – 4:54
"M-O-N-E-Y" (Cox) – 3:29
"You Can't Resist It" – 5:36