• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

171b820dd7a0696834cae010.L.jpg

Rust Never Sleeps -- CD

Neil Young & Crazy Horse

1971/1990 Reprise Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Young has recorded many live albums, but none capture his two dominant musical personalities with as much power as 1979's Rust Never Sleeps. The acoustic side opens with "My, My, Hey, Hey (Out of the Blue)," a devastating anthem about the state of rock & roll. Comparing the Sex Pistols' Johnny Rotten to the late Elvis Presley, Young delivers perhaps his most famous line: "It's better to burn out than to fade away." Side 2 demonstrates the emotional power of Young's hard-rocking quartet, Crazy Horse, with the scathing political songs "Powderfinger," "Welfare Mothers," and the loud reprise of "My, My, Hey, Hey." --Steve Knopper

Side one (acoustic)

"My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) (Young, Jeff Blackburn)" – 3:45
"Thrasher" – 5:38
"Ride My Llama" – 2:29
"Pocahontas" – 3:22
"Sail Away" – 3:46

Side two (electric)

"Powderfinger" – 5:30
"Welfare Mothers" – 3:48
"Sedan Delivery" – 4:40
"Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" – 5:18

It's... eh. All the songs are green/save the earth/tree-hugger lyrics, and it's all synths/electronic drums, no guitar that I can hear (from Todd?!?!) I'll be playing it in the car for the next week, I usually have a better feel for an album after that.
The last song on the album is really unique; the pulse that the synths and vocals follow stays steady, but the drums and/or drum machine speeds up and slows down in spots; it's unsettling but it works... kinda. :think:

61IHUyxxREL_zpse9234eda.jpg

House Of David -- 2 CD Box Set

David "Fathead" Newman Anthology

1993 Atlantic-Rhino Records

David "Fathead" Newman made his name as the standout tenor saxophonist in the Ray Charles Band for 20 years, and seven of the 27 tracks in this set feature Newman echoing Charles's jazzy R&B vocals or piano riffs. Other tracks find Newman blowing behind R&B singers Zuzu Bollin, Aretha Franklin, Jimmy Scott, Dr. John, and Aaron Neville. There was a soulful, vocal quality to Newman's sax, even on the instrumental jazz dates where he was the leader, and the melody and emotion of the song never slipped out of focus. Neither a great composer, improvisor, nor innovator, Newman was nonetheless a master of playing simple but appealing jazz variations on catchy R&B themes.--Geoffrey Himes

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Why Don't You Eat Where You Slept Last Night?
2. Greenbacks
3. Pts. 1-2 Rock House
4. Ain't Misbehavin'
5. Blues Waltz
6. Talkin' 'Bout You
7. Hard Times
8. Willow Weep for Me
9. Fathead
10. That's Enough
11. Let the Good Times Roll
12. Esther's Melody
13. Congo Chant
14. Night of Nisan
15. Sister Sadie

DISC 2:
1. The Holy Land
2. The Clincher
3. That's All
4. Yesterday
5. The Thirteenth Floor
6. Chained No More
7. Missy
8. For Buster
9. Ramblin'
10. Day by Day
11. Candy
12. Pledging My Love

HOUSE OF DAVID contains 27 tracks recorded between 1952 and 1983 and includes a 32-page booklet with historic photographs, complete personnel listings and track annotations

.Personnel: David "Fathead" Newman (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Zuzu Bollin (vocals, guitar); Dr. John, Ray Charles (vocals, piano); James Scott, Aaron Neville, Little Jimmy Scott, Aretha Franklin (vocals); Herlin Riley (guitar, drums); Cornell Dupree, David Spinozza, Wesley Jackson , Freddie Green, Hugh McCracken, Kenny Burrell, Renard Poch‚, Ted Dunbar, Billy Butler (guitar); Eric Gale (electric guitar); Winston Collymore, Leo Kruczek, Richard Elias, Leo Kahn, Matthew Raimondi, Gene Orloff, Emanuel Green (violin); Alfred Brown , Selwart Clarke (viola); Kermit Moore (cello); Julius Schachter, Sanford Allen (strings); Jack Knitzer (oboe); Frank Wess, Marshall Royal, George Dorsey (alto saxophone); Don Wilkerson, King Curtis, Paul Gonsalves, Seldon Powell, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Emmett Dennis, Hank Crawford, Haywood Henry, Jerome Richardson, Pepper Adams, Leroy Cooper, Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Richard Gene Williams , Clark Terry, Ernie Royal, Philip Guilbeau, Joe Bridgewater, Lee Harper, Richard Harper, Bobby Simmons, Charles Whitley, Jimmy Owens, Joe Newman , Marcus Belgrave, Snooky Young, Bernie Glow, John Hunt , Blue Mitchell, Melvin Lastie (trumpet); Paul Ingram, Julius Watkins (French horn); Al Gray, Jimmy Cleveland, Melba Liston, Quentin Jackson, Thomas Mitchell, Urbie Green, Benny Powell (trombone); Bruno Carr (piano, drums); Charlie Morgan , Joe Zawinul, Junior Mance, Kirk Lightsey, Wynton Kelly (piano); Kossie Gardner (organ); Sampson Henry, Art Neville (keyboards); Steve Nelson (vibraphone); Chuck Rainey (electric bass); Richie Goldberg, Eddie Gladden, Glenn Brooks, Jimmy Johnson, Jr. , Teagle Fleming, William Peeples, Sylvester Morton, Rudy Collins, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Milt Turner, Herman V. Ernest III, Charles Collins , Charlie Persip (drums); Omar Clay, Ralph MacDonald (percussion); The Cookies , The Raelettes (background vocals).Liner Note Author: David Ritz.Recording information: A & R Studios, New York, NY (1952-1989); Atlantic Studios, New York, NY (1952-1989); Capitol Studios, New York, NY (1952-1989); Coastal Recorders, New York, NY (1952-1989); Dallas, TX (1952-1989); Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI (1952-1989); Power Stat (1952-1989); Top Of The Gate, New York, NY (1952-1989); WGST, Atlanta, GA (1952-1989).Arrangers: Marty Paich; Quincy Jones; Arif Mardin; Wardell Quezergue; William S. Fischer.

Dennie said:

171b820dd7a0696834cae010.L.jpg

A video called "Neil Young Journeys" is playing on Palladia right now. I despised him (and especially Crazy Horse) in college, but like John Prine his songwriting has grown on me, and I enjoy listening to him now. Welfare Mothers, Make Better Lovers! :happy-smileygiantred:

6809729fd7a000576f3de010.L.jpg

Aja -- Remastered CD

Steely Dan

1977/1999 MCA Records

Timeless masterpiece, a landmark album of sheer beauty, April 3, 2000
By Sharon A. (Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)

Not many albums have influenced me as much as Steely Dan's Aja. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker have created a most unique flavour of Jazz meets Rock where beatiful melodies, genius production and perfect performance blend to produce a timeless masterpiece. This album should be on the A-List of everyone who appreciates the beauty of music. The album is full of complex musical concepts which immediately remind the progressive rock fan some of the common manoeuvres in classic progressive rock albums. Take the title song "Aja" for example. This piece takes you on a eight minutes ride to diverse musical patterns that vary between rock and jazz moods, amplified by rich orchestration. Other songs such as "Decon Blues" and "Home At Last" constantly prove to be intriguing while "Black Cow" is captivating. The presence of saxophonist Wayne Shorter on "Aja" is blessed - as a serious Shorter's fan I was delighted to see his inclusion on the album and I regard this decision as a wise one - the solo part he plays is terrific, bringing his genius and gifts to combine perfectly with the different environment he plays in. I would also like to add it is worthwhile for Steely Dan fans to get the remastered version of the album, just for the sound quality. Usually I cannot tell the difference, but since I had the original CD release and heard it so much, I could compare. The difference is amazing, the quality is much better - you can actually hear new sounds and appreciate the separation of the different instruments. The liner notes are quite disappointing, so I ordered the DVD to learn more about making of this unusual album. This album made me buy all of Steely Dan's albums, so if you like it I would recommend underrated "The Royal Scam" and "Countdown to Ecstasy" albums, although all are excellent. Get this album, it may be one of your best musical purchases ever. I know my getting to know it was a bless.

All songs written by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen.
Side one

"Black Cow" – 5:10
"Aja" – 7:57
"Deacon Blues" – 7:37

Side two

"Peg" – 3:57
"Home at Last" – 5:34
"I Got the News" – 5:06
"Josie" – 4:33

Botch said:
It's... eh. All the songs are green/save the earth/tree-hugger lyrics, and it's all synths/electronic drums, no guitar that I can hear (from Todd?!?!) I'll be playing it in the car for the next week, I usually have a better feel for an album after that.
The last song on the album is really unique; the pulse that the synths and vocals follow stays steady, but the drums and/or drum machine speeds up and slows down in spots; it's unsettling but it works... kinda. :think:

Thanks Botch, I did listen to some sample tracks on Amazon and was like "Todd, WTF??" I used to like UTOPIA.

At least he did a good dead and brought up Liv Tyler....... :happy-smileygiantred:

heeman said:
I used to like UTOPIA.

HUGE fan of Utopia here, saw them live twice and have all their DVDs and albums, a couple double-dipped. Kasim Sultan (possibly the most tragically-under-rated vocalists and bassists in rock history) appears on one song of Global, but its unremarkable.

BTW - When I get a new Album, I also play it all week long in the truck going back n forth to work and stuff.................

:music-rockout: :bow-blue: :music-rockout:

f6ee810ae7a00b1a2f30e110.L.jpg

Gap Gold - The Best of The Gap Band -- CD

The Gap Band

1987/1990 Mercury Records

Best Early 80s Industrial Funk, October 6, 2005
By Pablo Parks "Pablo" (Bayonet Point, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gap Gold (Audio CD)

The Houston based "Gap Band" brought the best hard charging funk in the early 80s. All praise the Wilson brothers for their outstanding instrumental and vocal work evident on this bang up CD. Best tracks are "Burn Rubber", "Shake" and "Early in the Morning". "You Dropped the Bomb on Me" and "The Party Train" are club favorites and very popular outside of the funk scene. There are a few slower R&B numbers that work well especially "Outstanding" which also describes this collection.

Track listing

1. Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)
2. Outstanding
3. I Don't Believe You Want to Get up and Dance (Oops!)
4. Party Train
5. Stay With Me
6. You Dropped a Bomb on Me
7. Early in the Morning
8. Yearning for Your Love
9. Shake
10. Season's No Reason to Change

DukeEllingtonBeyondCatagory_zpsed485037.jpg

Beyond Category -- 2 Remastered CD Set

The Musical Genius of Duke Ellington

1999 Buddha Records

This 1999 two-CD set should not be confused with an identically titled double-disc set from RCA/BMG that dates from a decade earlier. That set, which came in a somewhat awkward longbox and was mastered in the '80s, was merely adequate for its time, but this Buddha-imprinted version has been remastered, upgraded, and reconfigured into a more convenient shape and size -- and is even cheaper than the old collection. That's the upside of the Buddha version; the obvious downside is that representing Ellington's career within the scope of 37 tracks is a near-impossible task. But Beyond Category is a handy introduction nonetheless. Beginning with "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo," recorded in November of 1926, the set takes us up through "Lotus Blossom" (from 1967's And His Mother Called Him Bill). Along the way, it touches the expected standards ("Mood Indigo," "Take the 'A' Train"); many of the musically important pieces, including the second version of "Creole Rhapsody"; and such recording touchstones as "Concerto for Cootie," "I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)" (featuring Ivey Anderson), "Carnegie Blues," "Transbluency," "Harlem Suite," and "Come Sunday" (from the December 1965 Concert of Sacred Music recording). It's not ideal -- a three-disc set would've worked better -- but it does make the point of its title, illustrating the sheer scope of Ellington's music, even if it doesn't truly embrace its full range or depth. The 1999 Buddha version of Beyond Category is only the second compilation to make use of the remastered Ellington sides from RCA's Centennial set, and is preferable to the earlier, longbox version for sound as well as price. by Bruce Eder

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. East St. Louis Toodle-Oo
2. Black and Tan Fantasy
3. Creole Love Call
4. Black Beauty
5. Old Man Blues
6. Mood Indigo
7. Rockin' in Rhythm
8. Creole Rhapsody, Pts. 1 & 2
9. Daybreak Express
10. Delta Serenade
11. Jack the Bear
12. Ko Ko
13. Concerto for Cootie
14. Cotton Tail
15. Dusk
16. Pitter Panther Patter
17. Across the Track Blues
18. Mobile Bay
19. Take the "A" Train
20. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) - (featuring Ivie Anderson)
21. Subtle Slough
22. Passion Flower

DISC 2:
1. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
2. Chelsea Bridge
3. Moon Mist
4. Main Stem
5. I'm Beginning to See the Light - (featuring Joya Sherrill)
6. Carnegie Blues
7. Transblucency (A Blue Fog That You Can Almost See Through)
8. Harlem Suite
9. Caravan
10. Come Sunday - (featuring Queen Esther Marrow)
11. Isfahan
12. Ad Lib on Nippon
13. Blood Count
14. Intimacy of the Blues, The
15. Lotus Blossom

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ivie Anderson, Adelaide Hall, Joya Sherrill, Kay Davis, Queen Esther Marrow (vocals); Fred Guy (guitar, banjo); Ray Nance (violin, trumpet); Otto Hardwick (clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Harry Carney (clarinet, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton, Rudy Jackson, Barney Bigard (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Rex Stewart (clarinet); Johnny Hodges (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Russell Procope, Willie Smith (alto saxophone); Al Sears, Paul Gonsalves, Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry (trumpet, flugelhorn); Cootie Williams, Freddie Jenkins, Harold Baker, Herbie Jones, Louis Bacon, Mercer Ellington, Arthur Whetsol, Taft Jordan, Shelton Hemphill, Willie Cook, Francis Williams , Louis Metcalf, Dick Vance, Wallace Jones, Bubber Miley, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton, Lawrence Brown , Quentin Jackson, Wilbur De Paris, Chuck Connors, Claude Jones, Britt Woodman, Buster Cooper (trombone); Juan Tizol (valve trombone); Billy Strayhorn (piano); Hillard Brown, Louie Bellson, Rufus "Speedy" Jones, Sam Woodyard, Sonny Greer, Steve Little (drums).Recording information: Camden, NJ (10/26/1927-11/15/1967); Chicago, IL (10/26/1927-11/15/1967); Hollywood, CA (10/26/1927-11/15/1967); Los Angeles, CA (10/26/1927-11/15/1967); New York, NY (10/26/1927-11/15/1967); San Francisco, CA (10/26/1927-11/15/1967).Director: Duke Ellington.Arrangers: Duke Ellington; Billy Strayhorn.

Absolute bliss listening to Wilson Phillips' "California." Their version of "Go Your Own Way" is so sublime!

Today's work truck music....

9375224b9da0247859bcb010.L.jpg

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Soundtrack -- CD

Various Artists

2000 Lost Highway Records

Amazon.com's Best of 2001

The best soundtracks are like movies for the ears, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? joins the likes of Saturday Night Fever and The Harder They Come as cinematic pinnacles of song. The music from the Coen brothers' Depression-era film taps into the source from which the purest strains of country, blues, bluegrass, folk, and gospel music flow. Producer T Bone Burnett enlists the voices of Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch, Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, and kindred spirits for performances of traditional material, in arrangements that are either a cappella or feature bare-bones accompaniment. Highlights range from the aching purity of Krauss's "Down to the River to Pray" to the plainspoken faith of the Whites' "Keep on the Sunny Side" to Stanley's chillingly plaintive "O Death." The album's spiritual centerpiece finds Krauss, Welch, and Harris harmonizing on "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby," a gospel lullaby that sounds like a chorus of Appalachian angels. --Don McLeese

1. "Po' Lazarus" traditional James Carter and the Prisoners 4:31
2. "Big Rock Candy Mountain" McClintock Harry McClintock 2:16
3. "You Are My Sunshine" Davis, Mitchell Norman Blake 4:26
4. "Down to the River to Pray" traditional Alison Krauss 2:55
5. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (radio station version) Dick Burnett Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski 3:10
6. "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" James Chris Thomas King 2:42
7. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (instrumental) Burnett Norman Blake 4:28
8. "Keep On the Sunny Side" Blenkhorn, Entwisle The Whites 3:33
9. "I'll Fly Away" Brumley Alison Krauss & Gillian Welch 3:57
10. "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby" traditional Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch 1:57
11. "In the Highways" Carter Leah, Sarah, and Hannah Peasall 1:35
12. "I Am Weary, Let Me Rest" Roberts (Kuykendall) The Cox Family 3:13
13. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (instrumental) Burnett John Hartford 2:34
14. "O Death" traditional Ralph Stanley 3:19
15. "In the Jailhouse Now" Blind Blake, Rodgers Soggy Bottom Boys & Tim Blake Nelson 3:34
16. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (with band) Burnett Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski 4:16
17. "Indian War Whoop" (instrumental) Hoyt Ming John Hartford 1:30
18. "Lonesome Valley" traditional The Fairfield Four 4:07
19. "Angel Band" traditional The Stanley Brothers 2:15
Total length:
61:24

f2e6e28763d3af191c7f0d1904d3bdeaca457731.jpg

Ry Cooder somehow got into Cuba in 1997 and recorded this album with some of the best Cuban musicians and singers. This is a group sitting in one room, a few overhead mics, one-take/no overdubs, a real band playing together. The recording quality isn't the best, the piano needs a tuneup (sounds like an old upright), but the playing, and the music, are great! :music-listening:

Back