• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

517uZHO6gHL._SS500_.jpg

Enlightenment -- CD

Van Morrison

1990 Mercury Records

After spending most of the '80s delving deep into Celtic imagery, Van Morrison made ENLIGHTENMENT, using the early rock 'n' roll and R&B of his youth for inspiration. "Real Real Gone" quotes lines from songs by James Brown, Wilson Pickett and Solomon Burke to reflect getting squarely hit by Cupid's arrow, while "In The Days Before Rock 'N' Roll" is where Morrison gets truly nostalgic about the music of his youth. As usual, the imagery used by the Belfast Cowboy is sharp and buttressed by gorgeous string arrangements.

Morrison's ruminations on love and life traipse some of the same dark corners as Frank Sinatra's more melancholy '50s work. The near-whispered vocals and low rumble of harmonica on "See Me Through" are soaked with a spiritual restlessness that contrasts the sweetness of "She's My Baby" and the upbeat spirit of "Youth Of 1,000 Summers" (a song ripe to be used as a comeback by any number of '60s soul vets).

All songs by Morrison unless noted otherwise.

"Real Real Gone" – 3:43
"Enlightenment" – 4:04
"So Quiet in Here" – 6:09
"Avalon of the Heart" – 4:45
"See Me Through" – 6:13
"Youth of 1,000 Summers" – 3:45
"In the Days Before Rock 'N' Roll" (Durcan, Morrison) – 8:13
"Start All Over Again" – 4:10
"She's My Baby" – 5:14
"Memories" – 4:14

Today's work truck music....

T2eC16RHJHEE9ny2q9bZBQK5uEzJjQ60_35.jpg

Tapestry Revisited - A tribute To Carole King -- CD

Various Artists

1995 Lava Records

What better way to hone in on Carole King's songwriting mastery than to get perfomers and songwriters of all ages, sounds and sizes to tackle her timeless material. TAPESTRY REVISITED brings together Rod Stewart with Amy Grant, Richard Marx with the Bee Gees, Blessid Union Of Souls with Faith Hill; and all tap into the melodic finesse and finely crafted lyrics that elevated Carole King into the songwriters' pantheon.TAPESTRY REVISITED reminds us how long King's songs have influenced her peers. The Bee Gees' masterful glide through "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" refreshes the memory of King's emergence into the pop world as a member of the Brill Building songwriting pack. Richard Marx's loving rendition of "Beautiful" illustrates the mark King left on the new generation of writers, and Eternal's luxurious version of "I Feel The Earth Move" shows that King's music is truly timeless and capable of inspiring generations of future songsmiths.

Track Listing
1. I Feel the Earth Move - Eternal/The London Session Orchestra
2. So Far Away - Rod Stewart
3. It's Too Late - Amy Grant/The Nashville String Machine
4. Home Again - Curtis Stigers
5. Beautiful - Richard Marx
6. Way over Yonder - Blessid Union of Souls
7. You've Got a Friend - Aretha Franklin/BeBe Winans/CeCe Winans/BeBe & CeCe Winans
8. Where You Lead - Faith Hill
9. Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Bee Gees
10. Smackwater Jack - The Manhattan Transfer
11. Tapestry - All-4-One
12. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Celine Dion

Van%20Morrison%20Duets_zpswtsnsuvo.jpg

Duets: Re-working The Catalogue -- CD

Van Morrison

2015 RCA Records

It's not hard to wonder if Van Morrison was trying to drive away listeners by titling this album Duets: Re-Working the Catalogue, a name that practically howls this is a work defined by a lack of ambition and a desire to rest on his laurels. The clumsy title is especially strange because this an honestly good album that doesn't fit those negative expectations. Even though Re-Working the Catalogue finds Morrison reviving songs from his extensive repertoire, he wisely focuses on lesser-known tunes rather than compete with his best-known work, and Morrison is able to generate a genuine enthusiasm for this music, which might not be the case if he tried to record "Moondance" or "Brown Eyed Girl" one more time. And the Belfast Soul Man for the most part has chosen duet partners with intelligence; rather than load up this set with current chart-toppers who have little knowledge of Morrison's legacy, most of the singers working with Morrison are cut from similar cloth, such as Steve Winwood, Chris Farlowe, Georgie Fame, and Bobby Womack (in what proved to be one of the latter's final recordings). If Joss Stone is considerably younger and more melismatic than Van's other partners, she understands what "Wild Honey" needs, and Michael Bubl‚ delivers an admirably lively performance on "Real Real Gone." There are almost certainly other singers who would have sounded better on "Whatever Happened to P.J. Proby?," but Mr. Proby himself seems to be in on the joke with his delivery, and Van honestly sounds like he's having a lot of fun (not a common occurrence) with Taj Mahal on "How Can a Poor Boy?" And if Mavis Staples' voice is a bit rough on "If I Ever Needed Someone," she delivers the song with a churchy authority that Morrison clearly respects. As for Van himself, at the age of 69 his vocals lack the power and emotional force he so easily conjured in the '70s, but his sense of phrasing is as soulful and idiosyncratic as it has ever been, and he seems determined to find something in these songs that he missed the first time. This could easily have been a very lazy album, but Morrison gives this material an honest and thoughtful effort. (His grainy but potent sax work is a lot of fun, too.) And the production (by Don Was) and mix (by Bob Rock) is smooth without polishing out the personality of Morrison and his guests. Recutting a batch of your old songs is usually a sign you've run out of ideas, as is recording a full album of duets; while it's hard to know what Morrison's motivations were for making Duets: Re-Working the Catalogue, the pleasant surprise is that Morrison has managed to dodge both those bullets, and if it's a long way from a triumph, it's a solid, heartfelt work from a veteran artist who isn't about to give up the ghost. ~ Mark Deming

Duets: Re-Working the Catalogue Tracklist:
01. “Some Peace of Mind” w/ Bobby Womack (original version released on Hymns to the Silence, 1991)
02. “Lord, If I Ever Needed Someone” w/ Mavis Staples (original version released on His Band and the Street Choir, 1970)
03. “Higher Than The World” w/ George Benson (original version released on Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, 1983)
04. “Wild Honey” w/ Joss Stone (original version released on on Common One, 1980)
05. “Whatever Happened to P.J. Proby” w/ P.J. Proby (original version released on Down the Road, 2002)
06. “Carrying a Torch” w/ Clare Teal (original version released on Hymns to the Silence, 1991)
07. “The Eternal Kansas City” w/ Gregory Porter (original version released on A Period of Transition, 1977)
08. “Streets Of Arklow” w/ Mick Hucknall (original version released on Veedon Fleece, 1974)
09. “These Are The Days” w/ Natalie Cole (original version released on Avalon Sunset, 1989)
10. “Get On With The Show” w/ Georgie Fame (original version released on What’s Wrong with This Picture, 2003)
11. “Rough God Goes Riding” w/ Shana Morrison (original version released on The Healing Game, 1997)
12. “Fire in the Belly” w/ Steve Winwood (original version released on The Healing Game, 1997)
13. “Born To Sing” w/ Chris Farlowe (original version released on No Plan B, 2012)
14. “Irish Heartbeat” w/ Mark Knopfler (original version released on Irish Heartbeat, 1988)
15. “Real Real Gone” w/ Michael Bublé (original version released on Enlightenment, 1990)
16. “How Can A Poor Boy” w/ Taj Mahal (original version released on Keep It Simple, 2008)

Today's work truck music....

3d7c729fd7a03e5656e1e010.L.jpg

Abbey Road -- CD

The Beatles

1969/1990 Apple/Capitol Records

Amazon.com essential recording

The Beatles' last days as a band were as productive as any major pop phenomenon that was about to split. After recording the ragged-but-right Let It Be, the group held on for this ambitious effort, an album that was to become their best-selling. Though all four contribute to the first side's writing, John Lennon's hard-rocking, "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" make the strongest impression. A series of song fragments edited together in suite form dominates side two; its portentous, touching, official close ("Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End") is nicely undercut, in typical Beatles fashion, by Paul McCartney's cheeky "Her Majesty," which follows. --Rickey Wright

All songs written and composed by Lennon/McCartney, except where noted.

Side one
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Come Together" Lennon 4:20
2. "Something" (Harrison) Harrison 3:03
3. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" McCartney 3:27
4. "Oh! Darling" McCartney 3:26
5. "Octopus's Garden" (Starkey) Starr 2:51
6. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" Lennon 7:47

Side two
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Here Comes the Sun" (Harrison) Harrison 3:05
2. "Because" Lennon, McCartney and Harrison 2:45
3. "You Never Give Me Your Money" McCartney 4:02
4. "Sun King" Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison 2:26
5. "Mean Mr. Mustard" Lennon 1:06
6. "Polythene Pam" Lennon 1:12
7. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" McCartney 1:57
8. "Golden Slumbers" McCartney 1:31
9. "Carry That Weight" McCartney with Lennon, Harrison and Starr 1:36
10. "The End" McCartney 2:05
11. "Her Majesty" McCartney 0:23

Good Friday everyone... :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

e66b808a8da0a87aee255110.L.jpg

Kind of Blue -- Remastered CD

Miles Davis

1959/1997 Columbia Legacy Edition

This is the one jazz record owned by people who don't listen to jazz, and with good reason. The band itself is extraordinary (proof of Miles Davis's masterful casting skills, if not of God's existence), listing John Coltrane and Julian "Cannonball" Adderley on saxophones, Bill Evans (or, on "Freddie Freeloader," Wynton Kelly) on piano, and the crack rhythm unit of Paul Chambers on bass and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Coltrane's astringency on tenor is counterpoised to Adderley's funky self on alto, with Davis moderating between them as Bill Evans conjures up a still lake of sound on which they walk. Meanwhile, the rhythm partnership of Cobb and Chambers is prepared to click off time until eternity. It was the key recording of what became modal jazz, a music free of the fixed harmonies and forms of pop songs. In Davis's men's hands it was a weightless music, but one that refused to fade into the background. In retrospect every note seems perfect, and each piece moves inexorably towards its destiny. --John Szwed

All songs composed by Miles Davis (see content section for more information). Only six complete takes of the five tunes on the album exist, indicated by the song numbers.

"So What" – 9:22
"Freddie Freeloader" – 9:46
"Blue in Green" – 5:37
"All Blues" – 11:33
"Flamenco Sketches" – 9:26

Reissue bonus track

"Flamenco Sketches" (Alternate take) – 9:32

Tracks 1, 2 and 3 (side one on the original vinyl release) recorded March 2, 1959; tracks 4 and 5 (side two) recorded April 22, 1959. All tracks recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York City.

Pink%20Floyd%20Delicate%20Sound%20of%20Thunder_zpsky9hkawj.jpg

Delicate Sound of Thunder (Live) -- 2 CD Chubby Box Set

Pink Floyd

1988 Columbia Records

This 1988 release by the seminal British outfit shows a band with a renewed vigor that comes out in their live show. After a bitter break with bassist and WALL mastermind Roger Waters, the band finally regrouped minus their erstwhile leader, with the rights to the Floyd name. They recorded and toured behind A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON, and that tour is captured here. Produced by vocalist/guitarist David Gilmour, the album is a smooth performance from a group usually considered to be a studio band. Classics such as "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb" are given room to breathe, making for refreshing variations on the original versions. Radio hits such as "On the Turning Away" are also given new light in the live format, with a choir adding depth.More than just a display of arena rock power, THUNDER shows seasoned veterans jamming on timeless material. Closing with a spirited "Run Like Hell", this album gives the listener a picture of one of life's essential experiences, a Pink Floyd concert.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond
2. Learning to Fly
3. Yet Another Movie
4. Round and Around
5. Sorrow
6. The Dogs of War
7. On the Turning Away

DISC 2:
1. One of These Days
2. Time
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Us and Them
5. Money
6. Pt. 2 Another Brick in the Wall
7. Comfortably Numb
8. Run Like Hell

Pink Floyd: David Gilmour (guitar, vocals); Richard Wright (keyboards); Nick Mason (drums). Additional personnel: Tim Renwick (guitars, vocals); Scott Page (saxophone); Jon Carin (keyboards, vocals); Guy Pratt (bass, vocals); Gary Wallis (percussion); Margret Taylor, Rachel Fury, Durga McBroom (background vocals).This comes with a 28 page booklet.

Happy Saturday everyone... :banana-dance:

701771a88da0733062f8d110.L.jpg

So Near, So Far (Musings For Miles) -- CD

Joe Henderson

1993 Verve Records

Amazon.com

One of the most effective tributes ever recorded, this session matches Joe Henderson's tenor with three brilliant former Miles Davis sidemen--guitarist John Scofield, bassist Dave Holland, and drummer Al Foster. While these musicians were associated with Davis during his later electronic years, the session's inspiration is clearly from the trumpeter's great acoustic career. It includes little-heard pieces like "Swing Spring," from 1954, and "Circle," from 1966, as well as masterworks such as "Miles Ahead", "Milestones," and "Flamenco Sketches" from the intervening classic period. Heard at his best here, Henderson is a stunning improviser, combining a relaxed, almost offhand flow with frequently surprising melodic and rhythmic turns, developing an intriguing multidirectionality in his solos. While Davis has been one of the most imitated of musicians, there's nothing derivative about this tribute, which garnered 1993 Grammy Awards as both Best Jazz Instrumental (individual or group) and Best Jazz Solo (instrumental) for Henderson's serene work on "Miles Ahead." The CD is unquestionably a group accomplishment, though, with intense yet restrained work from Scofield (his comping here sometimes suggests the master, Jim Hall) and bristling interplay in the rhythm section. --Stuart Broomer

Track listing

1. Miles Ahead
2. Joshua
3. Pfrancing (No Blues)
4. Flamenco Sketches
5. Milestones
6. Teo
7. Swing Spring
8. Circle
9. Side Car
10. So Near, So Far

Saxophone - Joe Henderson
Bass - Dave Holland
Drums - Al Foster
Guitar - John Scofield
Producer - Don Sickler, Richard Seidel
Co-producer - Joe Henderson

A tune that's lived in my head for decades, only discovered who did it about ten years ago (and yes, Puddlestone performed it!! :music-rockout: )

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bertha Butt Boogie!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LQJYgs1sxc[/youtube]

:eusa-clap: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :music-rockout: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Happy Easter Sunday everyone... :banana-dance:

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

Marian%20Anderson%20Prima%20Voice_zpsobd2h4at.jpg

Prima Voice -- CD

Marian Anderson

1996 Nimbus Records (Import England)

Honest Transfer of Great Material from 78s
By Eugene G. Barnes on March 23, 2001
Format: Audio CD

There are eleven spirituals on this CD, but it opens with a stunning traversal of seven sacred selections from the Baroque era, six selections of Bach and one of Handel. Ms. Anderson's sweetness, sincerity and artistry are complemented nicely by a young Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Symphony Orchestra (you can clearly hear the later Shaw of the Bach B Minor Mass in places, and the selection from the St. Matthew Passion is a haunting reminder that Shaw was never able to commit a complete Matthew to disc for posterity, though it was his favorite work and its recording a goal in his life - but I stray). What the Baroque selections lack in the latest in musicological authenticity they more than make up for in heartfelt simplicity and directness. It's Baroque music for the ages, and it may move you to tears.
The eleven spirituals, on the other hand, are accompanied only by an unidentified pianist, one who is certainly quite accomplished and gives Ms. Anderson a superb level of support. The question will need to be asked, I suppose, "Is there perhaps more inspiration present in the singing of the spirituals than in the Baroque selections?" Not at all; the artistry in both is equal. Indeed, modern audiences, used to hyped-up versions of these spirituals, may be slightly disappointed at the plainness of these renditions. I wasn't; I was enchanted.

Album Tracks

1. Cantata No. 81: Jesus schlaft, was soll ich hoffen
2. Cantata No. 112: Zum reiner wasser
3. St. Matthew Passion: Erbarme dich, mein gott
4. Cantata No. 12: Kreuz und krone
5. Messiah: He Shall Feed His Flock
6. St. John Passion: Es Ist Vollbracht (English)
7. Christmas Oratorio: Bereite dich, zion
8. City Called Heaven
9. Lord, I Can't Stay Away
10. Heaven, Heaven
11. Trampin
12. Oh What A Beautiful City
13. Were You There?
14. Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
15. I Don't Feel No-Ways Tired
16. Deep River
17. Go Down Moses
18. My Soul's Been Anchored In The Lord

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
12. Granpa's Hands

Today's work truck music...

a42a828fd7a03094c60d2110.L.jpg

A Decade of Steely Dan -- CD

Steely Dan

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com

The notion of a Steely Dan greatest-hits collection is suspect at best, if only because their biggest public successes ("Reelin' in the Years" from Can't Buy a Thrill, Prezel Logic's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," and Aja's "Peg") are also in many ways their least typical. Indeed, after the craft-conscious Thrill, the duo of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen showed an almost perverse penchant for swimming against the prevailing pop current, despite the protestations of numbskull critics who Didn't Get It in a big way. That said, here's the duo's best-known public works and radio fodder (including all of the above), a sampler that will satisfy the hit-hungry and tempt the less acquainted to sample B&F's more colorful musical adventures. --Jerry McCulley

1. "FM (No Static At All)" – 4:50 (from the movie FM)
2. "Black Friday" – 3:33
3. "Babylon Sisters" – 5:51
4. "Deacon Blues" – 7:26
5. "Bodhisattva" – 5:16
6. "Hey Nineteen" – 5:06
7. "Do It Again" – 5:56
8. "Peg" – 3:58
9. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" – 4:30
10. "Reelin' In the Years" – 4:35
11. "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" (Duke Ellington and Bubber Miley) – 2:45
12. "Kid Charlemagne" – 4:38
13. "My Old School" – 4:46
14. "Bad Sneakers" – 3:16

51UqWMn-uaL.jpg

The Long Road Home -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD

Erning Watts

1997/2007 JVC Music

Two time Grammy winning saxophonist Ernie Watts has been quietly playing the part of an influential saxman for over 20 years. His expressive solos have graced the recordings of countless greats in nearly every genre of music. ''Music is a language,'' says Watts, ''and with language there are all these dialects - Rock, Classical, Jazz, Be-Bop and R&B among others. As for me, I'm interested in speaking all those dialects.'' On The Long Road Home, Watts returns to his favorite dialect...jazz. The results are simply glorious. Joining Watts on this blues tinged release are Kenny Barron on piano, Reggie Workman on acoustic bass, Mark Whitfield on electric guitar and Carmen Lundy, who performs two vocal numbers. This outstanding release was recorded direct to two track by XRCD co-creator Akira Taguchi and excellently showcases the superiority of the XRCD technology. Recorded live directly to two-track!

Track Listing
1. Lover Man
2. At the End of My Rope
3. River of Light
4. Nostalgia in Times Square
5. Bird's Idea
6. The Long Road Home
7. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
8. Willow Weep For Me
9. Moonlight and Shadows

.Personnel includes: Ernie Watts (saxophone); Carmen Lundy (vocals); Kenny Barron (piano); Mark Whitfield (electric guitar); Reggie Workman (acoustic bass).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

Rained out today, no work... :banana-dance:

131781b0c8a04ef6f73da110.L.jpg

Changes In Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes -- CD

Jimmy Buffett

1977/1987 MCA Records

Buffett sold his promise as a real-world singer-songwriter God knows how many boats ago, but 1977's Changes remains one of his last stands before plunging into a sea of parrotheads, "Fins," and personal empire building. "Margaritaville" was the deceptively lighthearted hit, but Steve Goodman's "Banana Republics" and the title tune also raised an eyebrow at the worlds Buffett encountered in his 100-proof-fueled travels. Yet soon the empire would overtake the wit and ego would subsume his creative reach. --Rickey Wright

1. "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" Buffett 3:15
2. "Wonder Why We Ever Go Home" Buffett 3:51
3. "Banana Republics" Burgh/Goodman/Rothermel 5:11
4. "Tampico Trauma" Buffett 4:35
5. "Lovely Cruise" Johnathan Baham 3:54
6. "Margaritaville" Buffett 4:09
7. "In the Shelter" Buffett 4:00
8. "Miss You So Badly" Buffett/Taylor 3:41
9. "Biloxi" Winchester 5:38
10. "Landfall" Buffett 3:14

Happy Birthday Eleanora Fagan; April 7, 1915 – July 17, 1959

Billie-Holiday-Lady-in-Satin_zps8335f703.jpg

Lady In Satin -- Remastered 20Bit CD

Billie Holiday with Ray Ellis and His Orchestra

1958/1997 Columbia Legacy

This was her penultimate album, recorded when her body was telling her enough was enough. During the sessions with arranger Ray Ellis she was drinking vodka neat, as if it were tap water. Yet, for all her ravaged voice (the sweetness had long gone) she was still an incredible singer. The feeling and tension she manages to put into almost every track sets this album as one of her finest achievements. 'You've Changed' and 'I Get Along Without You Very Well' are high art performances from the singer who saw life from the bottom upwards. The CD reissue masterminded by Phil Shaap is absolutely indispensable.

Track Listing
1. I'm a Fool to Want You - (edited master)
2. For Heaven's Sake
3. You Don't Know What Love Is
4. I Get Along Without You Very Well
5. For All We Know
6. Violets for Your Furs
7. You've Changed
8. It's Easy to Remember
9. But Beautiful
10. Glad to Be Unhappy
11. I'll Be Around
12. End of a Love Affair, The - (instrumental track & overdub take 8, mono)
13. I'm a Fool to Want You - (previously unreleased, Take 3, bonus track)
14. I'm a Fool to Want You - (previously unreleased, alternate take, alternate take 2, bonus track)
15. End of a Love Affair: The Audio Story, The - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
16. End of a Love Affair, The - (previously unreleased, stereo, bonus track)
17. [Pause Track]

Personnel includes: Billie Holiday (vocals); Ray Ellis (conductor); Mel Davis (trumpet); Urbie Green, J.J. Johnson, Tom Mitchell (trombone); Danny Bank, Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque (woodwinds); George Ockner (violin); David Sawyer (cello); Janet Putnam (harp); Mal Waldron (piano); Barry Galbraith (guitar); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums); Phil Kraus (percussion).Recorded in New York, New York from February 19-21, 1958. Originally released on Columbia (1157). Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend, Ray Ellis and Phil Schaap.

Back