• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Best_of_the_Popular_Piano_Concertos_The_1961_Warner_Bros.jpg

The Best of the Popular Pianos Concertos

George Greeley with The Warner Bros. Studio Orchestra

1961 Warner Bros.

^There was nothing to forgive. His work on that album was awesome. It's the album and the band that made it that I have issues with.

Today's work truck music...

51AEWtd7lCL.jpg

Madman Across The Water -- CD

Elton John

1971 Polydor Records

The first of the best, April 27, 2011
By L. Lawhead "LSquared" (SW Illinois) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Madman Across the Water (Audio CD)

This was the first Elton John album I owned (on vinyl), and there was no doubt about upgrading to CD/digital. A very solid offering from what I consider his peak period. From Madman, to Honky Chateau, into Don't Shoot Me, culminating with Goodbye Yellow Brick. All excellent, all worth having. Looking back over 35+ years, I'd rate this as the least excellent of that quartet, but all are worthy. But Madman (which peaked at only #8) laid the groundwork for the subsequent string of #1 albums.

Levon was the hit, peaking at #24, and Tiny Dancer just missed the Top 40 (peaked at #41). Both were mainstays of AOR radio, as was the title track. All are classic songs.

The rest of the album is not quite as as memorable. Holiday Inn & Rotten Peaches are certainly solid. But Indian Sunset always seemed a little overblown, and I never quite got the whole think about an Englishman singing (fisrt person) about the plight of the Native Americans... All The Nasties and Goodbbye are pretty much forgettable. Not bad, but certainly not essential.

1. "Tiny Dancer" 6:15
2. "Levon" 5:22
3. "Razor Face" 4:44
4. "Madman Across the Water" 5:56
5. "Indian Sunset" 6:45
6. "Holiday Inn" 4:17
7. "Rotten Peaches" 4:56
8. "All the Nasties" 5:08
9. "Goodbye" 1:48

When this album was issued on cassette MCA swapped the places of "Razor Face" and "Rotten Peaches" on side one and two of the tape. The SACD version of the album contained a longer version of "Razor Face" which extended the song-ending jam to 6:42 instead of the early fade on the original album.

The song "Holiday Inn" was written for Adam Diaz. An additional verse in the recorded version that was originally part of the song was either omitted during recording or edited out of the final album version. It can, however, be heard on "unofficial" live recordings of the song from some of his concerts during this period, which have circulated among collectors.

71jVVR1zD3L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Janis Joplin

1973/1990 Columbia Records

Amazon.com essential recording

More than Cheap Thrills or even Pearl, Greatest Hits has helped keep Janis Joplin's short-lived recording career alive for listeners who came along after her 1970 death. "Me and Bobby McGee" is the biggest draw, of course--it was a posthumous No. 1 single--but the rest is equally exciting. Despite the familiarity of the titles here, this goes far beyond the merely serviceable. Finally, the cover photo of Janis smiling in a sunny park is as poignant a shot of her as exists. --Rickey Wright

"Piece of My Heart" (Bert Berns, Jerry Ragovoy) – 4:14
"Summertime" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Dubose Heyward) – 4:02
"Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" (Ragovoy, Chip Taylor) – 3:57
"Cry Baby" (Bert Berns, Ragovoy) – 4:00
"Me and Bobby McGee" (Fred Foster, Kris Kristofferson) – 4:34
"Down on Me" (Janis Joplin) – 3:09
"Get It While You Can" (Ragovoy, Mort Shuman) – 3:27
"Bye, Bye Baby" (Powell St. John) – 2:37
"Move Over" (Joplin) – 3:44
"Ball and Chain" (Big Mama Thornton) – 7:59

Mustang_1966_Blue_Note_Mono.jpg

"Mustang!"

Donald Byrd
Sonny Red - Hank Mobley - McCoy Tyner - Walter Boocker - Freddie Waits

1966 Blue Note (Mono)

1528828fd7a0db1c0a500110.L.jpg

Inner City Blues - The Music of Marvin Gaye -- CD

Various Artists

1995 Motown Records

A Fitting Tribute to One of Music's GREATS!, February 18, 2001
By Reginald D. Garrard "the G-man" (Camilla, GA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inner City Blues: Music of Marvin Gaye (Audio CD)

Marvin Gaye was truly a unique artist, and this album of Gaye standards as interpreted by others adds to his legendary status. Beginning with daughter Nona's turn on the title cut, the CD triumphs on every single selection. The respective artists do not try to mimic Gaye; they simply do it their way without altering the passion of Gaye's lyrics.

Bono is superlative in his rendition of "Save the Children," BoyZ II Men blend their harmonies effectively on "Let's Get it On," while the very soulful Lisa Stansfield is just right on "Just to Keep You Satisfied." Madonna's "I Want You," slower than the original, retains Gaye's heartfelt plea to his intended paramour. "Stubborn Kind of Fellow" by Motown label mate Stevie Wonder is pure fun. Finally, Sounds of Blackness do justice to "God is Live/Mercy Mercy Me," making it perfect for the dancehall as well as the choir stand.

"Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Nona Gaye
"Save the Children" - Bono
"Let's Get It On" - Boyz II Men
"I Want You" - Madonna and Massive Attack
"Trouble Man" - Neneh Cherry
"Just to Keep You Satisfied" - Lisa Stansfield
"Stubborn Kind of Fellow" - Stevie Wonder
"God Is Love"/"Mercy Mercy Me" - Sounds of Blackness
"Like Marvin Gaye Said (What's Going On)" - Speech
"Marvin, You're the Man" - Digable Planets

eb3fea9c67b190100739ff401e02ba35.jpg

Well, poop.
This is Steven Wilson's latest 5.1 remix. I'm not the biggest GG fan but at $16, went ahead and purchased it. The first disk Amazon sent me stated "remixed by Steven Wilson", but the disk was stereo only. I sent it back, requesting the 5.1 mix. Got it yesterday, played it this morning, and again its just a stereo disk! I carefully removed the white adhesive tab at the top of the case (I hate those things) and it clearly stated "Steven Wilson 5.1 mix", but its a stereo CD.
Will send this one back too, and get my money back; something is screwed up in the manufacture. :(

EDIT: 14 comments on Amazon, everyone else save one person had the same issue. I did notice that the Bluray is available for $30, don't know if its worth that much or not. :|

Back