• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

842614017926_zps10d69ecc.jpg

Katja -- CD

Katja Rieckermann

2012 Digital Zoo Music

See Katja live on tour with Rod Stewart! rodstewartfanclub
Katja Rieckermann was born Feb.24th, 1966 in Lubeck, Germany. Her early musical influences formed listening to the jazz and soul music of the 70's like Michael Franks, Al Jarreau, David Sanborn, Chaka Khan, Wayne Shorter, and Weather Report.

At home, she always envied her brother Ralph playing guitar who later became a member of the German rock group, "The Scorpions", and by the time Katja turned twelve, she knew she also wanted to play an instrument. She was hanging out with friends like Sven Bunger now a successful German music producer, and Andy Hess (Black Crowes, Joan Osborne, Government Mule, etc.
) who played the R&B stuff she liked, and she'd go see their bands play the cool funk and rhythmic jazz that she loved.

When Katja was sixteen, she went to an Al Jarreau concert and saw David Sanborn playing with him. That's when she knew that the saxophone was going to be her instrument.

After graduating school, Katja moved to Paris for a year to study French during which time she became even more interested in music and the desire to play. Katja speaks four languages, including German, English, French, and Spanish. Katja has performed in over 30 countries and wants to continue to relate to her audience on the world stage.

In 1986 Katja came to San Jose, California to visit her boyfriend Andy Hess who was studying music and playing in a blues band that Katja would go see. There was a girl sax player, Diana Tucker that played with the band and it was then that Katja decided to start studying the saxophone. Katja was going to stay longer in the U.S. but decided to go back to Germany where she bought a sax and start taking lessons.

Katja studied alto saxophone at the Yamaha Music School, in Hamburg Germany, the Kontaktstudium Popularmusik, and the prestigious Berkelee College of Music, in Germany. She also studied with Eric Marienthal when she lived in Los Angeles. As a result, she was able to begin working as a professional musician in several bands performing in a variety of musical styles building her repertoire and the ability to easily play with any musicians style.

After appearing live in concert with the German band "The Scorpions" in 1997, and as a guest soloist with the Canadian rock band "Saga" on their Scandinavian tour, Katja decided to move to the States permanently in 1998 following her brother Ralph Rieckermann who had moved to L.A. several years earlier and was playing bass for "The Scorpions". Katja began going out to jazz, blues, and other live music clubs everynight and would often sit in with the bands in order to meet people in the business and get her name known as a new hot sax player. At this time Katja was totally dedicated to practicing and playing with the intention of getting a great gig. She knew deep in her heart that all her efforts would soon pay off and felt that something great was destined to happen in her life as a musician.

1999 Katja got one of her first big breaks when she was introduced to flamenco guitarist "Nocy" where she performed at the Bellagio in Las Vegas for two months in the Fontana Lounge. She was asked to move to Las Vegas and continue performing, but she knew that there was something much bigger on her horizon.

In 2000 Katja joined actor/musician Branscombe Richmond (known from the hit TV show "The Renegades") on tour in Europe , the States, Tahiti and many other countries. She also continued to appear locally with Jeff Goldblum, with whom she had been working with since 1999, performing jazz standards. In September 2001 Katja was performing as a recurring musician on the hit television show "Ally McBeal".

On September 10th 2001, Katja's friend, Andy Hess of the Black Crowes, brought her to the "Joint", a popular musician's hang in L.A. where she met Carmine Rojas, musical director for Rod Stewart. Auditions had just taken place for a female sax player for Rod's band, but someone else had been hired. About two weeks later, in a turn of fate, Rod's musical director called Katja. Rehearsals with the other sax player had not worked out and Katja auditioned and got the gig.

For the last 5 years, Katja has been on tour with Rod Stewart. The first tour was "The Human Tour" starting in America, Australia, Mexico, and Europe. Next was "The American Songbook Tour" which started in America and Canada finishing in Australia And Europe. Katja will continue to perform with Rod beginning again in January of 2007 on his new world tour promoting 'Still The Same!Great Rock Classics Of Our Time'. Katja also appears with Rod Stewart on his two latest DVDs: Live At The Royal Albert Hall and The Great American Songbook. She has also appeared with Rod on the "Tonight Show" starring Jay Leno.

Katja has also performed with Brooks and Dunn, Al Green, Carole King, David Foster, Reba McEntire, Johnny Lang, Tom Scott, and Randy Newman, and many other stars in the music business.
In between her touring schedule, Katja decided to make her own album of originals and covers of some of her favorite songs.

1 Tribute To Michael
2 Worksong
3 Do You Think I'm Sexy
4 Reminiscing
5 Casablanca
6 And Then There Was Harry
7 I'm Not In Love
8 Natural Woman
9 Hearts
10 What You Won't Do For Love

joanbaez387254.jpg

Recently -- CD

Joan Baez

1987 Gold Castle Records

Joan Baez at her best, August 4, 2000
By Bogardus "NW reader" (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Recently (Audio CD)

"Recently" brings the listener Joan Baez's beautiful voice in full and glorious maturity. This is not an album of rearranged and previously recorded hits or traditional favorites, but a beautiful compilation including 2 written by Joan."Recently" is one of 2 superior efforts by one of our greatest contemporary Folk singers. The other great album is "Come From The Shadows". Both albums contain the social consciousness that Joan champions, but also are masterful musical assemblages. If you are only going to own 1 or 2 Joan Baez albums, let it be these. Enjoy!

"Brothers in Arms" (Mark Knopfler)
"Recently" (Joan Baez)
"Asimbonanga" (Johnny Clegg)
"The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" (Jimmy Webb)
"James and the Gang" (Baez)
"Let Us Break Bread Together"/"Oh Freedom" (Traditional)
"MLK" (Bono, David Howell Evans, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton)
"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" (Chips Moman, Dan Penn)
"Biko" (Peter Gabriel)

517042.jpg

At Last -- SACD

The Gene Harris/Scott Hamilton Quintet with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown & Harold Jones

1990/2004 Concord Jazz

If anyone ever asks you what jazz is, words won’t do. Just play this music. The pulse, the flowing time that is the nurturing essence of jazz is distilled by Gene Harris, Herb Ellis, Harold Jones, and Ray Brown as they shape rhythm waves on which Scott Hamilton’s tenor glides, dives, and soars. And Gene Harris, when he solos, also rides the tides of the past as well as the powerful presence of the moment. Each of the players has a full, open, personal sound—and each always has sound in mind...It is being heralded as a lost art that has been rediscovered. But the guys on this date have never lost that art.”—Nat Hentoff (From the original 1990 liner notes)

Track listing

1. You Are My Sunshine
2. It Never Entered My Mind
3. After You've Gone
4. Lamp Is Low, The
5. At Last
6. Blues for Gene
7. I Fall in Love Too Easily
8. Some of These Days
9. Stairway to the Stars
10. Sittin' in the Sandtrap

Gene Harris (piano); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Herb Ellis (guitar); Ray Brown (double bass); Harold Jones (drums).

Dennie, is that Harris/Hamilton set in Surround/5.1, or just a SACD transfer of the stereo tapes? Love that disk, didn't know it was out on SACD.

51CT0iln-RL._SS500_.jpg

Anniversary: Twenty Years of Hits -- CD

Tammy Wynette - The First Lady of Country Music

1987 Epic Records

Coming two decades after the one-two punch of "Apartment #9" and "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad," 1987's ANNIVERSARY is a fine summary of the highest points of Tammy Wynette's early career. For the casual fan that just wants a quality collection of the hits, ANNIVERSARY is hard to beat. All of the hits are present and accounted for, from epoch-defining masterpieces like "Stand By Your Man" and "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" to less familiar but no less worthy gems like "Don't Wanna Play House." The 20-track collection even includes three of Wynette's duets with husband George Jones, "We're Gonna Hold On," "Golden Ring" and "Two-Story House." Completists might want to spring for the more exhaustive three-disc box set TEARS OF FIRE or the double-disc ESSENTIAL TAMMY WYNETTE, but this is the best single-disc collection available.

Track Listing
1. Apartment No. 9
2. Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad
3. I Don't Wanna Play House
4. D-I-V-O-R-C-E
5. Stand by Your Man
6. Singing My Song
7. Run, Woman, Run
8. We Sure Can Love Each Other
9. Good Lovin' (Makes It Right)
10. Bedtime Story
11. 'Til I Get It Right
12. Kids Say the Darndest Things
13. Another Lonely Song
14. We're Gonna Hold On
15. Woman to Woman
16. 'Til I Can Make It on My Own
17. Golden Ring
18. You and Me
19. One of a Kind
20. Two Story House

Botch said:
Dennie, is that Harris/Hamilton set in Surround/5.1, or just a SACD transfer of the stereo tapes? Love that disk, didn't know it was out on SACD.

Glorious 5.1 Surround sound! :text-bravo:

Dennie

boxA.jpg

Wow, I didn't know this existed until a few days ago, just got the set for $78. All three solo albums by Donald Fagen (Steely Dan) in 5.1 Surround Sound! I already had "Morph the Cat" on DVD-A, but it looks like that "individual" copy is worth some coin, so I didn't feel bad about paying $78 for the remaining two LPs. There's a lot of extras, live tracks, and videos in this set too, too hot outside to ride so I'll be going through it tonight. Donald/the Dan are my favorite artists, bar none, so this is quite a treat for me; hearing tracks that you know like the back of your hand, suddenly remixed and easier to pick out individual parts, is soooo cool! :banana-dance: :music-listening:

Dennie said:
Botch said:

Dennie
w00t, Thank You! :banana-rock:

^- yeah I have that on sacd too - probably at Dennie's rec - it's a good one!

Botch said:
Dennie said:
Botch said:

Dennie
w00t, Thank You! :banana-rock:

Ouch, $81.50, used... :(

Today's work truck music...

51%2BlHEsNLuL.jpg

Creedence Gold -- CD

Creedence Clearwater Revival

1991 Fantasy Records

Creedence Gold is a collection of Creedence Clearwater Revival's hit singles. Unfortunately, the album is a little too small to meet anybody's needs. A mere eight tracks are featured on Creedence Gold. Admittedly, these are eight tracks of amazing quality, but those looking for a more thorough collection will be pleased with the much more in-depth Chronicle, Vol. 1. Creedence Gold shows off the musical talent involved in the band. The 11-plus-minute "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is a fine showcase for Creedence's lead guitar styling, while "Born on the Bayou" is a fine sampler of how the band worked as a unit. By no means is Creedence Gold a bad album. Indeed, the eight tracks featured are eight of the best moments in their respective genres.

Side 1

"Proud Mary"
"Down on the Corner"
"Bad Moon Rising"
"I Heard it Through the Grapevine" (Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong)

Side 2

"The Midnight Special" (Traditional)
"Have You Ever Seen the Rain"
"Born on the Bayou"
"Susie Q" (Eleanor Broadwater, Dale Hawkins, Stanley Lewis)

51oV74ZO9IL.jpg

Sings & Plays Bossa Nova -- Remastered CD

Luiz Bonfa with Lalo Schifrin & Oscar Castro Neves

1962/2000 Verve By Request

Alongside Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim, Luiz Bonfa (the co-composer of BLACK ORPHEUS) is one of the original trailblazers of the bossa nova sound. Released in 1962 on Verve, PLAYS AND SINGS BOSSA NOVA can safely be certified a classic of the genre. Elegant, lyrical, rhythmic, and a showcase for Bonfa's deft guitar technique and sweet, unassuming singing, PLAYS AND SINGS is an album that will sound good to almost anyone, at any time.

Track Listing
1. Samba de Duas Notas :: Two Note Samba
2. Vem So :: Come Here, My Love
3. Sambalamento
4. Tristeza :: Brazilian Blues
5. Manha de Carnaval :: Morning Of The Carnival
6. Silencio Do Amor :: The Silence Of Love
7. Domingo a Noite :: Sunday Night
8. Ilha de Coral :: Coral Island
9. Adeus :: Goodbye
10. Quebra Mar :: The Sea Wall
11. Amor que Acabou :: The End Of Love
12. Chora Tua Tristeza :: Cry Your Blues Away
13. Bossa Nova Cha Cha

Personnel includes: Luiz Bonfa (vocals, guitar); Lalo Schifrin (arranger); Maria Helena Toledo (vocals); Leo Wright (flute); Oscar Castro-Neves (piano, organ, guitar); Iko Castro-Neves (bass); Roberto Pontes-Dias (drums, percussion).Recorded at A&R Recording Studios, New York, New York on December 26 & 31, 1962. Originally released on Verve (8522).

8809829.jpg

(2 disc set)

featuring John Hiatt, Paul Rodgers, and Beth Hart . . .

:twocents-mytwocents: ........... a definite :handgestures-thumbup:

Today's work truck music...

756cc060ada08440f5fbc110.L.jpg

Temptation -- CD

Shelby Lynne

1995 Morgan Creek Records

Amazon.com

Only after leaving Nashville did Shelby Lynne reinvent herself as a soulful R&B singer. During her Music City days of the early '90s, she gained critical raves that didn't translate into wider success. One reason was this fetching 1993 Nashville-produced album of big-band Western swing, produced by Brent Maher, which appeared long before the words swing revival crossed anyone's lips. It revealed Lynne's assets in a stronger showcase than her earlier Epic recordings. She's radiant and sensual on the torchy "Little Unlucky at Love," but the uninhibited swing tunes, including her explosive performance of the title number, defined the album. She maintained that finger-popping momentum with "Some of That True Love" and "The Rain Might Wash Your Love Away." Lynne turned seductress on "Tell Me I'm Crazy" and honky-tonker on "I Need a Heart to Come Home To," the album's most overtly country number. Now that Lynne's gained wider exposure, it's worth remembering that pushing the envelope is nothing new for her. --Rich Kienzle

"Temptation" (Shelby Lynne, Brent Maher, Jamie O'Hara) – 3:04
"Feelin' Kind of Lonely Tonight" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:00
"Tell Me I'm Crazy" (Rory Michael Bourke, Mike Reid) – 3:44
"Little Unlucky at Love" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:01
"Some of That True Love" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 2:47
"The Rain Might Wash Your Love Away" (Maher, Don Potter, Don Schlitz) – 4:34
"Don't Cry for Me" (Maher) – 2:43
"I Need a Heart to Come Home To" (John Jarvis, Russell Smith) – 4:20
"Come a Little Closer" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:15
"Where Do We Go from Here" (Maher, Potter, Reid) – 3:38

51wrfag6F9L.jpg

Bass Desires -- CD

Marc Johnson - Bill Frisell - John Scofield - Peter Erskine

1986/2008 ECM Records

The pairing of electric guitarists Bill Frisell and John Scofield had to be one of the most auspicious since John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana. Acoustic bassist Marc Johnson's stroke of genius in bringing the two together on Bass Desires resulted in a sound that demonstrated both compatibility between the guitarists and the distinctiveness of the two when heard in combination. Add drummer Peter Erskine and you had a bona fide supergroup, albeit in retrospect a short-lived one, before Frisell and Scofield would establish their own substantial careers as leaders. The guitarists revealed symmetry, spaciousness, and a soaring stance, buoyed by the simplicity of their rhythm mates. This is immediately achieved on the introductory track, "Samurai Hee-Haw," as hummable, head-swimming, and memorable a melody as there ever has been, and a definite signature sound. A perfect country & eastern fusion, the guitarists lope along on wafting white clouds of resonant twang, singing to themselves while also playing stinging notes, supported by the insistent two-note funk of Johnson and the rolling thunder of Erskine. The title track is a one-note ostinato from the bassist with a popping, driven drum rhythm and the guitars more unified in their lines, but broadening their individualistic voices. The light reggae funk of "Mojo Highway" sounds more conversational and jam-like, while "Thanks Again" is a relaxed, unforced waltz, again eschewing Asian-Missouri folkloric alchemy fired by Frisell's wah-wah and Scofield's stairstep strums. Ethereal and effusive sky church inflections lead to loose associations, especially from Frisell's moon-walking guitar synthesizer on "A Wishing Doll." There are three covers: a take on Elmer Bernstein's "A Wishing Doll;" "Resolution," the second movement from John Coltrane's A Love Supreme suite, with a more spiky bass and spacy lead melody played only once; and the standard "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair," floating and eerie, held together by silk and lace threads. One of two Bass Desires albums, this debut has stood the test of time -- it is priceless, timeless, and still far from being dated. ~ Michael G. Nastos

Track Listing
1. Samurai Hee-Haw
2. Resolution
3. Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair
4. Bass Desires
5. Wishing Doll, A
6. Mojo Highway
7. Thanks Again

Personnel: Marc Johnson (bass); Bill Frisell (synthesizer, guitar); John Scofield (guitar); Peter Erskine (drums).Recorded at Power Station, New York, New York in May 1985.

0000115012_500_zps5ef95a77.jpg

The Best of - 1955 - 1960 -- CD

George Shearing

1995 Capitol Records

Nice work from his early years... March 25, 2002
By William E. Adams
Format:Audio CD

Blind British pianist Shearing got his start in recording way back in 1949, first on MGM, then settling in for a decades-long stay and mass popularity with Capitol records. He has played solo, and as a quartet, a quintet, with full orchestras, with great female jazz singers, and with Latin percussionists. He has made his mark with straight versions of the best standards as well as with pure jazz. He's good live (I saw him in 1965) and in the studio as well. This is a fine 18-song collection recorded as a quintet over six years and an amazing 15 separate LP's. Shearing is great as background sound for reading or a party, but he also rewards attentive listening via earphones. He had a zillion albums on vinyl and quite a few have made it to CD now. You really can't get cheated with any of them. What I like best on here are "Have You Met Miss Jones?" and "Dancing on the Ceiling" and "The Folks Who Live on the Hill" and "Cheek to Cheek". He also reprises his first record hit, "September in the Rain" and offers enjoyable versions of "East of the Sun" and "Canadian Sunset". While this kind of stuff is extremely pleasant listening, Shearing reached that goal by using a determined intelligence and great sidemen. If you like "piano jazz" as a category, you already own some George, don't you? If you lack Shearing, this is a worthy introduction.

Track Listing
1. Midnight in the Air
2. Have You Met Miss Jones?
3. Dancing on the Ceiling
4. Cuban Love Song
5. Folks Who Live on the Hill, The
6. Nothing Ever Changes My Love for You
7. Friendly Persuasion (Thee I Love)
8. Later
9. Cheek to Cheek
10. Sand in My Shoes
11. Kinda Cute
12. September in the Rain
13. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
14. Estampa Cubano
15. Ship Without a Sail, A
16. Laura
17. Bernie's Tune
18. Canadian Sunset

Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Dick Garcia, Toots Thielemans (guitar); Dan Little, Lammar Wright, Sr., Benny Ventura, Cal Massey (trumpet); Robert "Brother Ah" Northern, Julius Watkins (French horn); Chuck Mason, Hale Rood, Dick Brace, Larry Wilson (trombone); Zuke Zatcher (tuba); Johnny Rae, Warren Chiasson, Emil Richards (vibraphone); Bill Clark , Larance Marable, Ray Mosca, Roy Haynes, Percy Brice (drums); Armando Peraza (percussion).

61QEq-R7ObL.jpg

Playin' With My Friends - Bennett Sings The Blues -- CD

Tony Bennett and Friends

2001 RPM/Columbia Records

PLAYIN' WITH MY FRIENDS won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album."New York State Of Mind" was nominated for the 2002 Grammy Award for Best PopCollaboration With Vocals. PLAYIN' WITH MY FRIENDS finds Tony Bennett mixing it up with a broad range of musical veterans and a sprinkling of young turks on this collection whose material primarily draws from the late '40s/early '50s era when the lines between jazz, blues, and pop were blurred. Backed by the stalwarts of the Ralph Sharon quartet, Bennett's easy-going style conjures up an earlier era's definition of cool. The Astoria native takes on the trappings of a saloon singer whether he's flirting with Diana Krall on "Alright, Okay, You Win," commiserating with Ray Charles on the heavy-hearted "Evenin'," or flying solo on Jimmy Rushing's "Undecided Blues".Other collaborators who fare well are Billy Joel (the consistently endearing "New York State Of Mind") and fellow vocal great Kay Starr (a simmering take on Basie's "Blue And Sentimental"). Even when Bennett cuts loose, it's in a cool and collected manner that goes down easy like sipping whiskey. Louis Jordan's "Let The Good Times Roll" comfortably bounces along as fellow septuagenarian B.B. King squeezes off bluesy guitar riffs, and even the normally raucous Robert Cray-penned title track politely chugs along as Bennett's duet guests take turns stepping up to the mike.

Track Listing
1. Alright, Okay, You Win - (featuring Diana Krall)
2. Everyday (I Have the Blues) - (featuring Stevie Wonder)
3. Don't Cry Baby
4. Good Morning, Heartache - (featuring Sheryl Crow)
5. Let the Good Times Roll - (featuring B.B. King)
6. Evenin' - (featuring Ray Charles)
7. I Gotta Right To Sing the Blues - (featuring Bonnie Raitt)
8. Keep the Faith, Baby - (featuring k.d. lang)
9. Old Count Basie is Gone (Old Piney Brown is Gone)
10. Blue and Sentimental - (featuring Kay Starr)
11. New York State of Mind - (featuring Billy Joel)
12. Undecided Blues
13. Blues In the Night
14. Stormy Weather - (featuring Natalie Cole)
15. Playin' With My Friends

Personnel includes: Tony Bennett (vocals); B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt (vocals, guitar); Stevie Wonder (vocals, harmonica); Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow, Ray Charles, k.d. lang, Kay Starr, Billy Joel, Natalie Cole (vocals).The Ralph Sharon Quartet: Ralph Sharon (piano); Gray Sargent (guitar); Paul Langosch (bass); Clayton Cameron (drums).Recorded in Los Angeles, California and New York, New York.

Back