• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

adderley.jpg

Somethin' Else -- RVG Edition Remastered 24 Bit CD

Cannonball Adderley

1958/1999 Blue Note Records

The Rudy Van Gelder Edition of SOMETHIN' ELSE includes an essay by Bob Blumenthal.

The track "Bangoon" is the correct title for the track "Allison's Uncle" that was originally included as a bonus on previous editions of SOMETHIN' ELSE.

Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Rudy Van Gelder.

This is part of the Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder Editions series.

When alto saxophonist Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, a high school band director from Florida, passed through New York with brother Nat during a school break, he found more excitement than he was counting on. After Julian offered to sit in for a late reedman, the session's leader, bassist Oscar Pettiford confronted him with the challenging changes of "I'll Remember April," at a breakneck tempo designed to humiliate the young upstart. Instead, Adderley responded with a solo that became the talk of the town; within days, his recording career had begun, and within a year he was able to give up his teaching job to front a full-time band.

Adderley gave up his own band in 1957 when he had the opportunity to become a sideman in Miles Davis' epic ensemble with John Coltrane, resulting in some of the greatest jazz recordings of all time (including MILESTONES and KIND OF BLUE). Davis returned the favor in March of 1958, appearing as a sideman on Adderley's all-star quintet date for Blue Note, and the resulting session is indeed SOMETHIN' ELSE.

Both horn players are at their peak of lyrical invention, crafting gorgeous, flowing blues lines on the title tune and "One For Daddy-O," as the Hank Jones/Sam Jones/Art Blakey rhythm team creates a taut, focused groove (pianist Hank Jones' sly, intuitive orchestrations are studies of harmonic understatement). Adderley's lush, romantic improvisation on "Dancing In The Dark" is worthy of Charlie Parker or Johnny Hodges, while the band refurbishes "Autumn Leaves" and "Love For Sale" into personal cliche-free swingers. And "Alison's Uncle" puts a boppish coda on SOMETHIN' ELSE, one of the most gloriously laid-back blowing sessions of the hard bop era.

Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on March 9, 1958. Originally released on Blue Note (81595). Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather and Bob Blumenthal.

"Autumn Leaves" (Joseph Kosma) – 11:01
"Love for Sale" (Cole Porter) – 7:06
"Somethin' Else" (Miles Davis) – 8:15
"One for Daddy-O" (Nat Adderley, Sam Jones) – 8:26
"Dancing in the Dark" (Arthur Schwartz) – 4:07
"Bangoon"(initially released as "Alison's Uncle" and also noted as "Bangoon" on the RVG edition CD) (Hank Jones) – 5:05 not on original LP

Personnel: Julian "Cannonball" Adderley (alto saxophone); Miles Davis (trumpet); Hank Jones (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Art Blakey (drums).

0c8f828fd7a027607d063110.L.jpg

Hard Promises -- CD

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

1981/1990 MCA Records

Amazon.com

Tom Petty's love affair with the more pop-oriented output of the Byrds and Dylan at their mid-'60s prime continued to find an increasingly wide audience in the '80s--and damned if some people didn't persist in calling it "new wave." Go figure. If writing hook-laden, instantly memorable pop-rock songs was both a sign of genius and one of music's toughest feats, Hard Promises (and its FM evergreens, "The Waiting" and "A Woman in Love") confirmed that Petty was one skinny, little, hard-working prodigy. Picking up effortlessly where *** the Torpedoes left off, Petty and the equally conscientious Heartbreakers took nothing about their newfound fame for granted, delivering their fourth strong effort in a row, this one increasingly seasoned with touches of their Southern roots. The title hints at the tough underbelly beneath the jangly veneer of Petty's ever-accessible songwriting, exemplified here by "Nightwatchman," "Something Big," and "The Criminal Kind." All tracks on this edition have been upgraded via digital remastering, and the album's original inner artwork and lyrics have also been restored. --Jerry McCulley

Side one

"The Waiting" – 3:58
"A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)" (Petty, Mike Campbell) – 4:22
"Nightwatchman" (Petty, Campbell) – 3:59
"Something Big" – 4:44
"Kings Road" – 3:27

Side two

"Letting You Go" – 3:24
"A Thing About You" – 3:33
"Insider" – 4:23
"The Criminal Kind" – 4:00
"You Can Still Change Your Mind" (Petty, Campbell) – 4:15

Today's work truck music...

6809729fd7a000576f3de010.L.jpg

Aja -- CD

Steely Dan

1977/1990 MCA Records

Timeless masterpiece, a landmark album of sheer beauty, April 3, 2000
By Sharon A. (Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)

Not many albums have influenced me as much as Steely Dan's Aja. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker have created a most unique flavour of Jazz meets Rock where beatiful melodies, genius production and perfect performance blend to produce a timeless masterpiece. This album should be on the A-List of everyone who appreciates the beauty of music. The album is full of complex musical concepts which immediately remind the progressive rock fan some of the common manoeuvres in classic progressive rock albums. Take the title song "Aja" for example. This piece takes you on a eight minutes ride to diverse musical patterns that vary between rock and jazz moods, amplified by rich orchestration. Other songs such as "Decon Blues" and "Home At Last" constantly prove to be intriguing while "Black Cow" is captivating. The presence of saxophonist Wayne Shorter on "Aja" is blessed - as a serious Shorter's fan I was delighted to see his inclusion on the album and I regard this decision as a wise one - the solo part he plays is terrific, bringing his genius and gifts to combine perfectly with the different environment he plays in. I would also like to add it is worthwhile for Steely Dan fans to get the remastered version of the album, just for the sound quality. Usually I cannot tell the difference, but since I had the original CD release and heard it so much, I could compare. The difference is amazing, the quality is much better - you can actually hear new sounds and appreciate the separation of the different instruments. The liner notes are quite disappointing, so I ordered the DVD to learn more about making of this unusual album. This album made me buy all of Steely Dan's albums, so if you like it I would recommend underrated "The Royal Scam" and "Countdown to Ecstasy" albums, although all are excellent. Get this album, it may be one of your best musical purchases ever. I know my getting to know it was a bless.

All songs written by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen.
Side one

"Black Cow" – 5:10
"Aja" – 7:57
"Deacon Blues" – 7:37

Side two

"Peg" – 3:57
"Home at Last" – 5:34
"I Got the News" – 5:06
"Josie" – 4:33

2507225b9da07dc988415110.L.jpg

Making Movies -- CD

Dire Straits

1980 Warner Bros. Records

The essential Dire Straits album, August 3, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)

Although it produced no hit singles, "Making Movies" is beyond question Dire Straits' masterpiece. Mark Knopfler's ripping guitar forms the backdrop for seven beautiful, haunting, fiercely personal cuts. Every song perfectly captures a deep human emotion, from the bitter heartache of "Romeo And Juliet" to the angry defiance of "Solid Rock" to the steamy lustfulness of "Expresso Love". There are no weak songs, though the bouncy and playful "Les Boys", which ends the album, seems a bit out of place compared to the six deadly earnest songs that precede it.

Yes, the album owes a heavy debt of gratitude to Springsteen, with many cuts building on the Boss's signature guitar/organ/piano framework. But, Knopfler's vocal delivery and deft guitar work, plus the band's sparser and cleaner arrangements, never allow you to forget that you're listening to Dire Straits. Only "Tunnel Of Love", which sounds like a cross between "Thunder Road" and "Sandy" strays a little too far into Bruce's territory but for that the boys can be forgiven.

One tip: this album must be heard in its entirety to be fully appreciated. It will take you on a rollercoaster ride of emotion, something that no greatest hits album can ever duplicate.

All songs written by Mark Knopfler, unless otherwise noted.

"Tunnel of Love" (Mark Knopfler, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II) – 8:11
"Romeo and Juliet" – 6:00
"Skateaway" – 6:40
"Expresso Love" – 5:12
"Hand in Hand" – 4:48
"Solid Rock" – 3:19
"Les Boys" – 4:07

:text-goodpost: :text-goodpost: :text-goodpost:

"Skateaway" is such an incredible track!!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

6126mj0Xk8L.jpg

Badfinger - Wish You Were Here

Side one

"Just a Chance" (Ham) – 2:58
"You're So Fine" (Gibbins) – 3:03
"Got to Get Out of Here" (Molland) – 3:31
"Know One Knows" (Ham) – 3:17
"Dennis" (Ham) – 5:15

Side two

"In the Meantime" (Gibbins)/"Some Other Time" (Molland) – 6:46
"Love Time" (Molland) – 2:20
"King of the Load (T)" (Evans) – 3:32
"Meanwhile Back at the Ranch" (Ham)/"Should I Smoke?" (Molland) – 5:18

Pete Ham – vocals, guitar, keyboards
Joey Molland – vocals, guitar
Mike Gibbins – drums, keyboards, lead vocals on "In the Meantime"
Tom Evans – vocals, bass

Additional contributors:

Average White Horns – horns on "Just a Chance" and "Should I Smoke"
Mika Kato – Japanese spoken words on "Know One Knows" (uncredited)

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch/Should I Smoke? is bar none one of the greatest songs to close out an album. This album was pulled off of the shelves after eight weeks because of a lawsuit between Stan Polley and Warner Music Publishing. It is probably their best album and Straight Up is a great one.

Today's work truck music....

e41a793509a0bfaeb4723110.L.jpg

Blind Melon -- CD

Blind Melon

1992 Capitol Records

Very underrated CD by a very underrated band, November 27, 2002
By seth luke (Springfield, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blind Melon (Audio CD)

I remembering hearing "No Rain" when it first came out on the radio and it instantly became my childhood favorite [I was about 8 at the time]. "No Rain" is a good song and went on to be a decent hit, but unfortunately it turned out to be the only big hit by what turned out to be one of the most underrated bands of the 90's. After seeing the 'Behind The Music' on them I decided to get the cd and it wasn't a dissapointment at all. Sure, No Rain is great but so are "Dear Ol' Dad", "I Wonder", "Drive" and every last one of the songs on this album. There seriously isn't a single bad track [my personal favorite however, besides "No Rain", is "Change"]. If you like Jane's Addiction, The Violent Femmes, or heck, even Green Day then you'll probably like Blind Melon {I mean heck, I usually listen to grunge and hard rock and I still like them]. All of their albums are great and worth buying but their debut, in my opinion, is their best. So do yourself a favor and discover the wonders of Blind Melon!

Track List:

All tracks by Blind Melon unless listed.

"Soak the Sin" - 4:01
"Tones of Home" - 4:26
"I Wonder" - 5:31
"Paper Scratcher" - 3:14
"Dear Ol' Dad" - 3:02
"Change" (Hoon) - 3:41
"No Rain" - 3:37
"Deserted" - 4:20
"Sleepyhouse" - 4:29
"Holyman" - 4:47
"Seed to a Tree" - 3:29
"Drive" - 4:39
"Time" - 6:02

ef7ee03ae7a021d45321c110.L.jpg

Welcome To VH1 Storytellers -- CD

Various Artists

2000 Interscope Records

Amazon.com

It's difficult to fathom the thinking behind this overview of VH1's popular Storytellers series. Begin with the fact that the actual stories are expunged from the recording. If you want the tales behind the songs, you'll have to read the booklet. So the music is left to stand on its own, but with each of the 15 artists allowed one selection to make their mark, even those that stand tall don't stand for long. David Bowie brings a tremendous focus to "China Girl"; Sheryl Crow and Stevie Nicks mix their voices in "Strong Enough" to striking effect; and the Eurythmics's "Here Comes the Rain Again" improves upon the hit original. On the downside, Jewel's caterwauling in "Who Will Save Your Soul" (the singer gets tangled up in a ball of yarn as she meows into the mic) makes one want to use "scat" in the feline rather than the Fitzgerald sense of the term. --Steven Stolder

1. China Girl - David Bowie
2. Edge Of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
3. Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders
4. Rain King - Counting Crows
5. Crash - Dave Matthews
6. Who Will Save Your Soul - Jewel
7. Stay - Lisa Loeb
8. Regarding Steven - John Popper
9. Mexico - James Taylor
10. Strong Enough - Sheryl Crow
11. Here Comes The Rain Again - Eurythmics
12. Carnival - Natalie Merchant
13. Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp
14. Just A Memory - Elvis Costello
15. How Deep Is Your Love - The Bee Gees

d9a4729fd7a02a4b7d55f010.L.jpg

Harbor Lights -- CD

Bruce Hornsby

1993 RCA Records

Leaving behind the Range, Bruce Hornsby trades heartland rock for a cooler, jazzier sound with Harbor Lights, an album that nonetheless retains his affinity for sincere portraits of American life, love, and heartache. The title track is a humid, celebratory song that evokes a romantic summer evening in the South, setting the stage for a collection of humanistic songs. If the album has an underlying theme, it's the necessity of seeing yourself and the ones you love through the hard times as well as the good. The purely upbeat songs, like "Rainbow's Cadillac" and "What a Night," are counterbalanced by the sober "Fields of Gray" and "Tide Will Rise," and the cultural commentary of "Talk of the Town." The music is uniformly excellent, with Hornsby's piano work blending seamlessly into the rich arrangements. Each song usually ends with an extended instrumental section, but these flow naturally instead of feeling like tacked-on jam sessions. And Hornsby isn't just showing off here, as he lets other voices, like Branford Marsalis' sax and Pat Metheny's guitar, get their say. In later albums, Hornsby's focus on music would tend to overtake his lyrical content, but Harbor Lights marks the point at which he found the right balance between virtuosic playing and personal storytelling. ~ Skyler Miller, All Music Guide

All songs written by Bruce Hornsby

"Harbor Lights"
"Talk of the Town"
"Long Tall Cool One"
"China Doll"
"Fields of Gray"
"Rainbow's Cadillac"
"Passing Through"
"The Tide Will Rise" (Bruce Hornsby, John Hornsby)
"What a Time" (Bruce Hornsby, John Hornsby)
"Pastures of Plenty"

Personnel: Bruce Hornsby (vocals, piano, accordion, organ); Will Ross, Tony Berg, Wayne Pooley (guitar); John McLaughlin Williams, Laura Roelofs Park (violin); Beverly K. Baker (viola); William Conita (cello); George Harple, Philip Koslow, Adam Lesnick, Alan B. Paterson (French horn); John D'Earth, Glenn Wilson, George A. Gailes III, Roy Muth, Tim Streagle (horn); Jimmy Haslip (bass); John Molo (drums); Lamont Coward (percussion); Dave Duncan (programming).Background vocals: Laura Creamer-Dunville, Jean McClain, Debra L. Henry, Bona Cheri Wells.Includes liner notes by Bruce Hornsby.Personnel: Bruce Hornsby (vocals, accordion, piano, organ); Phil Collins (vocals, bongos, tambourine, background vocals); Bonnie Raitt (vocals, background vocals); Pat Metheny (guitar, sitar); Jerry Garcia, John Bigham, Tony Berg, Waddy Wachtel, Wayne Pooley (guitar); Laura Roelofs Park (violin, balloons); John McLaughlin Williams (violin); Beverly K. Baker (viola); William Conita (cello); Branford Marsalis (saxophone, soprano saxophone, horns); Dr. Alex Paterson, Philip Koslow, Alan B. Paterson, George Harple, Adam Lesnick (French horn); Roy Muth, George A. Gailes III (horns, background vocals); Tim Struggle, Glenn Wilson, John D'earth (horns); Dave Duncan (midi); Omar Hakim (drums, percussion); Jeff Lorber (drums, programming, loops); John Molo (drums); Lamont Coward (percussion); Debra Henry, Tim Streagle, Laura Cramer-Dunville, Larry Williams , Laura Satterfield, Pauline Wilson, Phillip Ingram, Jean McClain (background vocals).Audio Mixers: Keith "KC" Cohen; David Leonard ; Wayne Pooley.Audio Remixer: Tom Lord-Alge.Liner Note Author: Bruce Hornsby.Recording information: Acme Studios; Bruce Hornsby's Home.

41lSzDp0bmL._SS500_.jpg

Bare -- CD

Annie Lennox

2003 RCA Records

Amazon.com

Annie Lennox's first album of original songs in 11 years on is a stylish tour de force that showcases the former Eurythmics chanteuse in all her chilly, shimmering splendor. Her formidable voice is still a supple and intriguing instrument, lithely shape-shifting between emotions, personas, and musical forms. Lennox moves effortlessly from the sparse and pristine lament of "A Thousand Beautiful Things" to the deceptively simple "Pavement Cracks," a solemn ballad that is transformed by electro dance beats that recall some of the best of the Eurythmics. But Lennox's quixotic voice is best utilized as an old-school soul instrument; she makes a metaphoric journey to Motown on "Hurting Time," a reflective ballad could have been lifted off a Miracles album. "Honesty," shows the Scottish diva at her well-mannered best, occupying the same sophisticated space formerly held by Carly Simon. --Jaan Uhelszki

1. A Thousand Beautiful Things
2. Pavement Cracks
3. The Hurting Time
4. Honestly
5. Wonderful
6. Bitter Pill
7. Loneliness
8. The Saddest Song I’ve Got
9. Erased
10. Twisted
11. Oh God (Prayer)

Today's work truck music...

f26b619009a07ab4a7976110.L.jpg

Two Rooms - Celebrating The Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin -- CD

Various Artists

1991 Polydor Records

Not you usual tribute album, January 17, 2012
By Tom Old Lyme - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin (Audio CD)

Elton John has so many big hits it was interesting to hear them sung by the wide range of artists. George Micheal's version of Tonight and Sinead O'Connors song are gut wrenchingly beautiful.

1. Border Song - Eric Clapton
2. Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time) - Kate Bush
3. Come Down In Time - Sting
4. Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) - The Who
5. Crocodile Rock - Beach Boys
6. Daniel - Wilson Phillips
7. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Joe Cocker
8. Levon - Jon Bon Jovi
9. The *** Is Back - Tina Turner
10. Philadelphia Freedom - Daryl Hall And John Oates
11. Your Song - Rod Stewart
12. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Oleta Adams
13. Madman Across The Water - Bruce Hornsby
14. Sacrifice - Sinead O'Connor < ------------------- :bow-blue:
15. Burn Down The Mission - Phil Collins
16. Tonight - George Michael

A lot of good stuff lately.......................

Bare and Diva are my 2 favorite Annie Lennox albums!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
A lot of good stuff lately.......................

Bare and Diva are my 2 favorite Annie Lennox albums!

^ Yes!

Annie_Lennox_-_Diva.jpg

Annie is incredible! She rocks short hair & has amazing, beautiful eyes!

Home alone this evening with my girl!

My favorites from Diva are...

Track #1...Why
Track #2...Walking on Broken Glass
Track #3...Precious
Track #9...Stay by Me, luv the piano intro.

^The studio version of this song. And this performance kicks the studio version's ass 6 times a week and twice on Sundays.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOPRjt0_EM[/youtube]

It's Friday ...so that means housecleaning for the stay at home Dad!!!
Gotta rock the tunes while you are scrubbing the toilets!!

51T4szWRWIL.jpg

Followed by
41fpUDE2yJL.jpg

Followed by
hqdefault.jpg

Followed by
413PXEHA78L.jpg

Followed by
51ZLYZVf8FL.jpg

Happy Saturday everyone... :banana-rock:

51OimhOTITL._SS500_.jpg

Spirit Trail -- 2 CD Set

Bruce Hornsby

1998 RCA Records

Amazon.com

From its unusual jokey cover of his Uncle Charles to the diverse amalgam of styles (jazz, R&B, pop) covered over its two discs, Spirit Trail is Bruce Hornsby at his most difficult to pin down. Whereas his work with the Range set standards for '80s adult-contemporary pop, Hornsby is now determined to move from the middle of the road to new territory. The unusual piano breaks throughout the first disc ("Resting Place" detours into fuzak), the sprightly hip-hop rhythms, the horns that punctuate "Line in the Dust," the simple, playful pop pleasures of "Shadow Hand" prove Hornsby can grow. He's still a super technician with ambitious production and arrangement designs, but his singing has grown more soulful with age. He'll never cut a convincing barrelhouse tune, as "Preacher in the Ring Pt. 1" attests, but his journey into Steely Dan-type sophistication brings his approach new life. --Rob O'Connor

All songs written by Bruce Hornsby except where noted.

Disc 1

1. King of the Hill
2. Resting Place
3. Preacher in the Ring, Part I
4. Preacher in the Ring, Part II
5. Song C
6. Sad Moon
7. Pete and Manny (Hornsby, John Hornsby)
8. Fortunate Son
9. Sneaking up on Boo Radley
10. Great Divide

Disc 2

1. Line in the Dust
2. See the Same Way
3. Shadow Hand
4. Sunlight Moon (Hornsby/ Keith Hornsby/Michael Mangini/Russell Hornsby)
5. Listen to the Silence
6. Funhouse
7. Sunflower Cat (Some Dour Cat) (Down With That) (Hornsby/ Jerry Garcia* / Michael Mangini / Robert Hunter)
8. Song D
9. Swan Song
10. Variations on Swan Song and Song D

* Jerry Garcia, on guitar, is sampled, posthumously, on Disc 2, track 7.

ca1ec060ada0792290039110.L.jpg

Will The Circle Be Unbroken -- 2 CD Box Set

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

1970/2002 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

In an age when the old-timey soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? sells 5 million copies, it's hard to imagine how revolutionary Will the Circle Be Unbroken seemed upon its release 30 years ago. The triple album (now rereleased as a two-CD set) paired many of Nashville's venerable country and bluegrass performers (Roy Acuff, Mother Maybelle Carter, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, Jimmy Martin, Vassar Clements) with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, or as Acuff called them, "a bunch of long-haired West Coast boys." The idea seemed nearly as foreign as Martians setting down in Tennessee, but the Dirt Band were Colorado hippies steeped in the genre, so there was no disputing the authenticity of the music, or its earthy appeal. Aside from the sheer joy of the performances (listen to Jimmy Martin's "whoop" on "Sunny Side of the Mountain"), there's great fun in hearing Roy Acuff give the boys a lesson in doing a song right the first time (and using the word hell before launching into a religious number). And Mother Maybelle wafts through like a benevolent ghost, or at least a patron saint. One caveat: The boast of four previously unreleased tracks is balderdash, since three are really between-track conversations and rehearsals, and only "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" qualifies as a real song. But that's nitpicking. Buy it. Love it. Wallow in it. O brother, that's country music! --Alanna Nash

Disc one

"Grand Ole Opry Song" (Hylo Brown) – 2:59 with Jimmy Martin
"Keep on the Sunny Side" (A.P. Carter, Gary Garett) – 3:35 with Maybelle Carter
"Nashville Blues" (Earl Scruggs) – 3:10
"You Are My Flower" (A.P. Carter) – 3:35
"The Precious Jewel" (Roy Acuff) – 3:30 with Roy Acuff
"Dark as a Dungeon" (Merle Travis) – 2:45 with Merle Travis
"Tennessee Stud" (Jimmie Driftwood) – 4:22 with Doc Watson
"Black Mountain Rag" (traditional) – 2:10
"Wreck on the Highway" (Dorsey Dixon[3]) – 3:24 with Roy Acuff
"The End of the World" (Fred Rose) – 3:53
"I Saw the Light" (Hank Williams) – 3:45 with Roy Acuff
"Sunny Side of the Mountain" (Byron Gregory, Harry McAuliffe) – 2:14
"Nine Pound Hammer" (Merle Travis) – 2:14
"Losin' You (Might Be the Best Thing Yet)" (Edria A. Humphrey, Jimmy Martin) – 2:44 with Jimmy Martin
"Honky Tonkin'" (Hank Williams) – 2:19
"You Don't Know My Mind" (Jimmie Skinner) – 2:45 with Jimmy Martin
"My Walkin' Shoes" (Jimmy Martin, Paul Williams) – 2:02 with Jimmy Martin

Disc two

"Lonesome Fiddle Blues" (Vassar Clements) – 2:41
"Cannonball Rag" (Merle Travis) – 1:15 with Merle Travis
"Avalanche" (Millie Clements) – 2:50
"Flint Hill Special" (Earl Scruggs) – 2:12
"Togary Mountain" (Walter McEuen) – 2:25
"Earl's Breakdown" (Earl Scruggs) – 2:34
"Orange Blossom Special" (Ervin T. Rouse) – 2:14 with Vassar Clements
"Wabash Cannonball" (A.P. Carter) – 2:00