• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

61BhRSUlWZL.jpg

Today's work truck music....

6ba3c6da8da092bf43b70110.L.jpg

"Come On Home" -- CD

Boz Scaggs

1997 Virgin Records US

Amazon.com

Having sat most of the '80s out, Boz Scaggs returns in the mid-'90s as an urbane blues crooner, effectively bringing his music full circle from the sleek, disco-friendly pop of his '70s commercial zenith to the purer R&B of his late '60s debut. Come Home is a soulful valentine to the same models that informed that first outing, juxtaposing solid new originals against venerable songs from Jimmy Reed, Earl King Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, Willie Mitchell, and other blues and soul masters from Memphis, Texas, and Chicago. Scaggs, always a model of taste (who else could have produced disco hits that still sound stylish), juggles two blue-chip rhythm sections with strategic infusions of soulful brass, greasy organ, and Scaggs's own deep-fried guitar work sustaining the set's bluesy accents. --Sam Sutherland

1. "It All Went Down the Drain"
2. "Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' (But the Blues)"
3. "Don't Cry No More"
4. "Found Love"
5. "Come On Home"
6. "Picture of a Broken Heart"
7. "Love Letters"
8. "I've Got Your Love"
9. "Early in the Morning"
10. "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)"
11. "T-Bone Shuffle"
12. "Sick and Tired"
13. "After Hours"
14. "Goodnight Louise"

41vN37R2jNL._SS500_.jpg

Various Positions -- CD

Leonard Cohen

1985/1995 Columbia Records

Dance Me To The End Of Love,
July 20, 2002
By Gary Selikow
This review is from: Various Positions (Audio CD)

In this album Leonard Cohen displays the full range of his genius.

It begins with the richly melodic `Dance Me To The End Of Love', with it's distinct Mediterranean/Israeli style, which remind me of hot romantic summer nights, by the sea.
It also includes such magnificent works as the passionate and intense love ballad, `Coming Back To You' and the fascinating mix of romantic and satirical `Night Comes On', the biting satire of `The Captain' and `Heart With No Companion' which embodies a heartfelt and deep explanation of the terrible experience of loneliness and isolation.

The greatest track on this album however, is the majestic and spiritual `Hallelujah':

"They say there was a sacred chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It went like this, the fourth, the fifth
the minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah"

I also love Jennifer Warnes' rich, melodic, sensual voice, which particularly adds beauty to `Dance Me to The End of Love' and `Hallelujah'.

All songs were written by Leonard Cohen.

Side one

"Dance Me to the End of Love" – 4:38
"Coming Back to You" – 3:32
"The Law" – 4:27
"Night Comes On" – 4:40

Side two

"Hallelujah" – 4:36
"The Captain" – 4:06
"Hunter's Lullaby" – 2:24
"Heart With No Companion" – 3:04
"If It Be Your Will" – 3:43

61tPapr-avL._SX425_.jpg

I was so over the top in love with this album when I was a teen-aged music nerd I actually purchased the score and tried to learn all of the percussion parts and even mount a production of it with my high school music nerd friends - we almost pulled it off. Well, I grew up and moved on, knowing that experience will always be part of my psyche and, well, I just stopped listening to it.

Today I got it out and totally fell in love with it all over again.

Flint said:
61tPapr-avL._SX425_.jpg

I was so over the top in love with this album when I was a teen-aged music nerd I actually purchased the score and tried to learn all of the percussion parts and even mount a production of it with my high school music nerd friends - we almost pulled it off. Well, I grew up and moved on, knowing that experience will always be part of my psyche and, well, I just stopped listening to it.

Today I got it out and totally fell in love with it all over again.
Zappa's "Dance Me This" - which is his "final album" - is set for release June 1.

Jeff

43969833e7a0db074aee2110.L.jpg

Sunshine On Leith -- CD

The Proclaimers

1988 Chrysalis Records

Sunshine on Leith is The Proclaimers' second and best known album, released in August 1988. The album had three singles, including the title track, "I'm On My Way," and "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," which also became a hit following its inclusion on the soundtrack to Benny & Joon five years later in 1993. It is about their birthplace, Leith, and the title track Sunshine on Leith is played by Hibernian F.C. at the beginning of matches.

All Songs Written By Craig & Charlie Reid, except where noted.

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" – 3:33
"Cap in Hand" – 3:24
"Then I Met You" – 3:50
"My Old Friend the Blues" – 3:06 (Steve Earle)
"Sean" – 3:23
"Sunshine on Leith" – 5:16
"Come on Nature" – 3:34
"I'm on My Way" – 3:45
"What Do You Do?" – 3:38
"It's Saturday Night" – 3:24
"Teardrops" – 2:32
"Oh Jean" – 5:55

Zing said:

Wait... Is that the original artwork for Chicago 16? For some reason i suspect I've been confusing 16 with 18 all these years. Not that I've spent much time thinking about it, but whenever I have, you know.

:think:

41S053qccdL._SS500_.jpg

Get Rhythm - CD

Ry Cooder

1990 Warner Bros. Records

"The Musician's Musician." "The Master of the Eclectic." There are probably a dozen more titles by which this "guitar player" is known. To even refer to him as a guitar player is probably a gross mislabeling of this musician. He defies any sort of categorization; this is his greatest strength and for some his weakness. The theme for these nine cuts is rhythm of all different ilk. I won't even give the parameters because he seems to have none. I wondered how many different instruments he played on this album (I thought I counted five different types of guitar); it only says guitar and vocal for his credits. Listen to his version of "All Shook Up," more bop and rhythm than Elvis could put into four of his songs. It seems musicians line up to play with him, and they feel he did them a favor by letting them play on his albums. He always gives them plenty of space to do what they do. This CD will make the dead start tapping their toes. ~ Bob Gottlieb

1. "Get Rhythm" (Johnny Cash)
2. "Low Commotion" (Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner)
3. "Going Back to Okinawa" (Ry Cooder)
4. "Thirteen Question Method" (Chuck Berry)
5. "Women Will Rule the World" (Raymond Quevedo)
6. "All Shook Up" (Elvis Presley, Otis Blackwell)
7. "I Can Tell by the Way You Smell" (Walter Davis)
8. "Across the Borderline" (Ry Cooder, Jim Dickinson, John Hiatt)
9. "Let's Have a Ball" (Alden Bunn)

sw-blu.jpg

This is less depressing to listen to with the "video" off (album theme is a sad story).

Today's work truck music...

61CAJYYEFRL._SS500_.jpg

Shangri-La -- CD/DVD

Mark Knopfler

2004 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Mark Knopfler isn't afraid to drop names. The heavyweight Cassius Clay laid low, the man who made burgers and fries into big business, the kings of rock & roll and skiffle are among the motley assortment who pass through Knopfler's fourth solo album. Recorded in Malibu with a tight crew of steadfast Knopfler sidemen, Shangri-La (the title comes from the studio where the entire set was recorded) chronicles the foibles of the acclaimed and the adrift, all delivered with the nonchalant grace that has marked Knopfler's music since Dire Straits emerged in the late '70s. Seven of album's 14 originals clock in at between five and seven minutes. That's Knopfler in a nutshell--don't rush things, but don't loose the thread, either. As a songwriter, Knopfler has a storyteller's eye for minutiae, which he delivers with practiced nuance. He overreaches here and there ("Song for Sonny Liston" fails to capture the pathos of the menacing fighter), but also pulls off a few career highlights (the understated crime-drama opener "5.15 a.m."). --Steve Stolder

All songs written by Mark Knopfler.

"5.15 A.M." – 5:54
"Boom, Like That" – 5:49
"Sucker Row" – 4:56
"The Trawlerman's Song" – 5:02
"Back to Tupelo" – 4:31
"Our Shangri-La" – 5:41
"Everybody Pays" – 5:24
"Song for Sonny Liston" – 5:06
"Whoop De Doo" – 3:53
"Postcards from Paraguay" – 4:07
"All That Matters" – 3:08
"Stand Up Guy" – 4:32
"Donegan's Gone" – 3:05
"Don't Crash the Ambulance" – 5:06

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-dance:

51FfUrOIGoL.jpg

To All The Girls... -- CD

Willie Nelson

2013 Sony Legacy Records

To All The Girls... finds Willie reunited with his two greatest loves: beautiful music and talented women.
Decades of heartfelt performances and compositions in popular music have long solidified Willie's reputation as one of country s greatest romantics. To All The Girls...continues Nelson's musical relationships with some of the most talented women in country, pop and soul.

Among the centerpieces of To All The Girls... is the emotional duet with Dolly Parton, "From Here To The Moon and Back," a song Parton wrote for the 2012 motion picture Joyful Noise. Willie also tackles the Bill Withers' classic "Grandma's Hands" with Mavis Staples, duets with Sheryl Crow on the Great American Songbook selection "Far Away Places," and brings a new shade to his self penned classic "Always on My Mind" with Carrie Underwood.

Willie is also joined by familiar contemporaries including Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Miranda Lambert, Norah Jones, Loretta Lynn and Rosanne Cash. To All The Girls... reunites Willie with producer Buddy Cannon, who worked with Willie on his most recent successful releases, Heroes and Let's Face The Music and Dance.

Track Listing:

1. ‘From Here to the Moon and Back’ (With Dolly Parton)
2. ‘She Was No Good for Me’ (With Miranda Lambert)
3. ‘It Won’t Be Very Long’ (With the Secret Sisters)
4. ‘Please Don’t Tell Me How the Story Ends’ (With Rosanne Cash)
5. ‘Far Away Places’ (With Sheryl Crow)
6. ‘Bloody Mary Morning’ (With Wynonna Judd)
7. ‘Always on My Mind’ (With Carrie Underwood)
8. ‘Somewhere Between’ (With Loretta Lynn)
9. ‘No Mas Amor’ (With Alison Krauss)
10. ‘Back to Earth’ (With Melonie Cannon)
11. ‘Grandma’s Hands’ (With Mavis Staples)
12. ‘Walkin” (With Norah Jones)
13. ‘Till the End of the World’ (With Shelby Lynne)
14. ‘Will You Remember Mine’ (With Lily Meola)
15. ‘Dry Lightning’ (With Emmylou Harris)
16. ‘Making Believe’ (With Brandi Carlile)
17. ‘Have You Ever Seen the Rain’ (With Paula Nelson)
18. ‘After the Fire Is Gone’ (With Tina Rose)

71bnEmGM8RL.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Waylon Jennings

1990 RCA Records

Amazon.com

These cuts capture Waylon Jennings in the first flush of his status as a country music superstar, after he gained control of his music in the early '70s. When he began to produce or coproduce his own records, it should be stressed, his music didn't change much--his "Good Hearted Woman" from 1972 (to cite the only pre-Outlaw cut here) is of a piece with later hits like "Honky Tonk Heroes" and "Luckenbach, Texas," from their ramblin'-man themes to Waylon's booming baritone and his music's burping bass lines. What was different was the rock-influenced Outlaw ad copy pushing his career, a rebellious new image he cultivated in country chart-toppers like "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" and "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," a duet with Willie Nelson. That new frame made all the difference. Jennings had always been great but now, on eight of the nine tracks here, his singles went all the way to the top of the charts. --David Cantwell

1. Lonesome, On'ry and Mean - Waylon Jennings, Young, Steve
2. I've Always Been Crazy - Waylon Jennings, Jennings, Waylon
3. Honky Tonk Heroes - Waylon Jennings, Shaver, Billy Joe
4. Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) - Waylon Jennings, Emmons, Bobby
5. I'm a Ramblin' Man - Waylon Jennings, Pennington, Ray
6. Amanda - Waylon Jennings, McDill, Bob
7. Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to Be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings, Bruce, Ed
8. A Good Hearted Woman [Version] - Waylon Jennings, Jennings, Waylon
9. Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way - Waylon Jennings, Jennings, Waylon

42c7828fd7a0e6718cdc7110.L.jpg

Wanted! 20th Anniversary Ed. CD

The Outlaws

1996 RCA Records
Amazon.com

Less successful when it's sentimental (Waylon Jennings' "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys") than when it's wry (Willie Nelson's myth-puncturing "Me and Paul"), this cash-in compilation of previously released cuts was just in time to grab the first platinum record ever awarded a country album. It's not bad, but both Jennings' contemporaneous Dreaming My Dreams and Nelson's Red Headed Stranger are more nuanced tastes of the good-bad-but-not-evil-ol'-boy lifestyle. (Not to mention much of Tompall Glaser's own Outlaw compilation.) This 1996 CD reissue adds nine more tracks from the era as well as a new Jennings-and-Nelson version of Steve Earle's "Nowhere Road." --Rickey Wright

Side one

1. "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" (Sharon Rice) – 2:48
* Performed by Jennings
2. "Honky Tonk Heroes" (Billy Joe Shaver) – 3:27
* Performed by Jennings
3. "What's Happened to Blue Eyes" (Jessi Colter) – 2:15
* Performed by Colter
4. "You Mean to Say" (Colter) – 2:28
* Performed by Colter
5. "Suspicious Minds" (Mark James) – 3:55
* Performed by Jennings and Colter

Side two

1. "Good Hearted Woman" [Live] (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson) – 2:56
* Performed by Jennings and Nelson
2. "Heaven or Hell" (Nelson) – 1:37
* Performed by Jennings and Nelson
3. "Me and Paul" (Nelson) – 3:45
* Performed by Nelson
4. "Yesterday's Wine" (Nelson) – 2:58
* Performed by Nelson
5. "T for Texas" (Jimmie Rodgers) – 4:12
* Performed by Glaser
6. "Put Another Log on the Fire (Male Chauvinist National Anthem)" (Shel Silverstein) – 2:16
* Performed by Glaser

Bonus tracks (20th anniversary reissue)

12. "Slow Movin' Outlaws" - Waylon Jennings
13. "(I'm a) Ramblin' Man" - Waylon Jennings
14. "If She's Where You Like Livin' (You Won't Feel at Home with Me)" - Jessi Colter
15. "It's Not Easy" - Jessi Colter
16. "Why You Been Gone So Long" - Jessi Colter
17. "Under Your Spell Again" - Waylon Jennings & Jessi Colter
18. "I Ain't the One" - Waylon Jennings & Jessi Colter
19. "You Left a Long, Long Time Ago" - Willie Nelson
20. "Healing Hands of Time" - Willie Nelson
21. "Nowhere Road" - Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson

3e191b2a433fe3863e02a477b38_prev.jpg

Pres and Teddy -- Remastered CD

The Lester Young - Teddy Wilson Quartet

1956/1986 Verve Records

Floating over bar lines using a light, airy tone, Lester Young redefined (and refined) the tenor saxophone. A nonconformist, Young's sound soon overshadowed Coleman Hawkins' thicker, more abrasive style. Indeed, Young's approach influenced most of the new wave of saxophonists to come out of the 1950s. On PRES AND TEDDY, we hear Young (nicknamed Pres) teamed up with the great pianist Teddy Wilson, who himself, is one of three definitive swing era pianists (the other two being Earl Hines and Art Tatum).PRES AND TEDDY is a small group outing that also highlights the talents of bassist Gene Ramey and drummer Jo Jones. This is straight-ahead, no bull jazz that doesn't cross too many stylistic boundaries. Recorded in 1956, tinges of cool jazz color the playing and feel of the record. Still, the band's swing roots shine through, making this release more closely aligned with earlier genres of jazz. Highlights include the medium bounce "Louise" and the bluesy "Pres Returns."

Track Listing
1. All of Me
2. Prisoner of Love
3. Louise
4. Love Me or Leave Me
5. Taking a Chance on Love
6. Our Love Is Here to Stay
7. Pres Returns - (bonus track)

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded in New York, New York on January 13, 1956. Includes original release liner notes by Bill Simon.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

Back