• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51mK3l7xAUL._SS500_.jpg

Criss-Cross -- Remastered CD

Thelonious Monk

1963/1993 Columbia Legacy

THE place to start your Monk collection, December 25, 2003
By R. J. Marsella (California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: Criss Cross (Audio CD)

A great remastered version of one of Monks' masterpiece recordings. Every selection here offers something unexpected and the entire CD swings like crazy. Monks comping on the title track Criss Cross behind Charlie Rouses's tenor is something to behold. he is never where you think he's going and yet melodic and perfectly in the tune. This guy was really something special and this CD offers a chance to hear him at his peak. Buy it..you can't go wrong here.

All songs composed by Thelonious Monk unless otherwise noted.

"Hackensack" – 4:12
"Tea for Two" (Vincent Youmans, Irving Caesar) – 3:46
"Criss Cross" – 4:52
"Eronel" (Monk, Idrees Sulieman, Sadik Hakim) – 4:29
"Rhythm-A-Ning" – 3:53
"Don't Blame Me" (Jimmy McHugh, Dorothy Fields) – 7:04
"Think of One" – 5:17
"Crepuscule with Nellie" – 2:45

CD reissue bonus track:

"Pannonica" – 6:46

---------

Thelonious Monk — piano
Charlie Rouse — tenor saxophone
John Ore — bass
Frankie Dunlop — drums

51%2BY22N%2BU%2BL.jpg

Standards -- Remastered 20-bit SBM CD

Jimmy Smith

1957-59/1998 Blue Note Records

The ultimate late-night smoky nightclub music, this collection of standards by Hammond-organ master Jimmy Smith is as swirling and atmospheric as the lounge it evokes, a vision made complete by a loosened black tie and a couple scotches on the rocks. Smith's sidemen, Kenny Burrell and Donald Bailey, on guitar and drums respectively, provide subdued, elegant support: Burrell with measured comping, Bailey delicately brushing the snare throughout. When Burrell takes the lead, which he does quite often on this disc, his solos are skillful, intricate and lovely.Smith's Hammond organ sound, fat as a sandwich and smooth as an ice cube, works wonders on favorites like "Little Girl Blue," "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Mood Indigo." Smith's playing, when he is doing chordal blocking or skittering over the higher register with skillful fingers, exhibits a style that is both graceful and groovy. Taken from sessions in '57, '58 and '59, STANDARDS is at once retro and modern, since Smith augments the nostalgic nightclub feel with the help of chorus settings, volume shifts and other effects. All in all, however, the effect is unified one: a relaxed sound that simply drips with cool.

Track Listing
1. Little Girl Blue
2. Bye Bye Blackbird
3. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
4. Ruby
5. September Song
6. I Didn't Know What Time It Was - (previously unreleased)
7. Memories of You - (previously unreleased)
8. But Beautiful - (previously unreleased)
9. Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
10. While We're Young - (previously unreleased)
11. It Might as Well Be Spring - (previously unreleased)
12. Last Dance - (previously unreleased)

STANDARDS contains seven tracks that are previously unissued.Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Donald Bailey (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 25, 1957, July 15, 1958 & May 24, 1959. Tracks 1-5 originally released as ON THE SUNNY SIDE on Blue Note (1092). Includes liner notes by Ben Sidran.Digitaly remastered using 20-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

51y8-yT66pL.jpg

Piano In The Foreground -- 24bit Remastered CD

Duke Ellington

1961/2004 Columbia Legacy

Duke Ellington's piano style influenced generations of pianists, from Thelonious Monk to Randy Weston. This 1961 trio recording, with his orchestra's rhythm section of drummer Sam Woodyard and Aaron Bell, clearly unveils the maestro's powerful touch, black-and-tan chords, and unstoppable swing, all often overshadowed in the work of his bigger bands. The standard "Body and Soul" shows Ellington's debt to James P. Johnson's Harlem stride style, while "Blues for Jerry," recalls Count Basie's Kansas City grooves. "Cong-go" masterfully marries Nigerian highlife and Cuban congorhythms, while Gershwin's "Summertime" and "Springtime in Africa" become surprising, evocative tone poems that foreshadow the avant-garde abstractions of the '70s. There's also a deeply personal rendering of Billy Strayhorn's "Lotus Blossom," which was not included on the original LP. The last six bonus tracks come from a pair of 1957 sessions with Jimmy Woode on bass. All in all, this disc is a worthy addition to Ellington's other keyboard classics, Money Jungle and Piano Reflections. --Eugene Holley, Jr.

Track Listing
1. I Can't Get Started
2. Cong-Go
3. Body and Soul
4. Blues for Jerry
5. Fontainebleau Forest
6. Summertime
7. It's Bad to Be Forgotten
8. A Hundred Dreams Ago
9. So
10. Searching (Pleading for Love)
11. Springtime in Africa
12. Lotus Blossom
13. All the Things You Are - (Take 1)
14. All the Things You Are - (Take 2)
15. Piano Improvisation No. 2
16. Piano Improvisation No. 3
17. Piano Improvisation No. 4
18. Piano Improvisation No. 1

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Duke Ellington Aaron Bell (1-12), Jimmy Woode(13-18) (double bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.Liner Note Authors: Joe Goldberg; Patricia Willard.Recording information: Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York, NY (03/01/1961)

Duke-Ellington-Piano-In-The-Back-448819.jpg

Piano In The Background -- Remastered CD

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra

1961/2004 Columbia Legacy

Forget the misleading title: though Duke Ellington is heard with his orchestra on these reissued 1960 recordings--not with a trio, as on the exceptional companion release Piano in the Foreground (1961)--he is still very much the table-setter, the driving force, the pilot, the master framer on keyboard. Recorded in Los Angeles, Piano in the Background consists of remakes of Ducal classics including "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)," "I'm Beginning to See the Light" (both arranged by Gerald Wilson), and "Perdido" (arranged by Bill Mathieu). If there were occasions when that format resulted in mortal performances, the band is in upbeat form here, delighting in fresh charts that remake the songs via tantalizing introductions, offbeat rhythms and accents, and bold off-center harmonies. Bonus cuts include two lively versions of George Shearing's "Lullaby of Broadway," the Billy Strayhorn ballad "Dreamy Sort of Thing" (featuring the composer on piano and alto Johnny Hodges), and Wilson's bluesy "The Wailer." There's also a previously unissued 1961 version of "Harlem Air Shaft." --Lloyd Sachs

Track Listing
1. Happy Go Lucky Local
2. What Am I Here For
3. Medley: Kinda Dukish/Rockin' in Rhythm: Kinda Dukish / Rockin' In Rhythm
4. Perdido
5. I'm Beginning to See the Light
6. Midriff
7. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
8. Main Stem
9. Take the "A" Train
10. Lullaby of Birdland
11. Wailer, The
12. Dreamy Sort of Thing
13. Lullaby of Birdland - (alternate take)
14. Harlem Air Shaft - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Duke Ellington; Andres Merenghito, Andre Merenghito (trumpet); Lawrence D. Brown, Lawrence Brown (trombone); Billy Strayhorn (piano); Aaron Bell (double bass); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Eddie Mullens, Gerald Wilson, Ray Nance, Willie Cook (trumpet); Matthew Gee, Booty Wood, Britt Woodman (trombone); Juan Tizol (valve trombone); Sam Woodyard (drums).Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.Liner Note Authors: Irving Townsend; Patricia Willard.Recording information: Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, CA (1960)

51J6ycJri1L.jpg

I Remember Duke, Hoagy & Strayhorn -- CD

Ahmad Jamal

1995 Telarc Jazz

Ahmad Jamal, in paying tribute to Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, and Hoagy Carmichael, performs nearly every selection on this CD at a very slow tempo. Or at least his sidemen do, since the pianist often plays double-time lines, witty quotes from other songs, and occasional violent outbursts. In general, the music is quite thoughtful and subtle, with plenty of surprising ideas and unusual turns. Carmichael gets stiffed a bit (just two songs counting the "Stardust"-inspired "I Remember Hoagy") and a couple of numbers are departures from the theme (including "My Flower," "Never Let Me Go," and "Goodbye"), but most of the melodies come from the Ellington/Strayhorn songbook. Throughout, Ahmad Jamal (with the assistance of bassist Ephriam Wolfolk and drummer Arti Dixson) shows that he can sound relaxed, alert, and swinging at the slowest of paces, making this a set deserving (and perhaps needing) several listens to appreciate fully. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. My Flower
2. I Got It Bad
3. In A Sentimental Mood
4. Ruby
5. Don't You Know You Know I Care
6. Prelude To A Kiss
7. Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me
8. Chelsea Bridge
9. I Remember Hoagy
10. Skylark
11. Never Let Me Go
12. Goodbye

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Ephriam Wolfolk (bass); Arti Dixon (drums).

51boxr%2BASqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ILLUSIONS -- CD

Eliane Elias

1987 Nippon/Columbia/Denon (Import Japan)

Eliane Elias' debut as a leader (she had been a member of Steps Ahead) finds her abandoning the electric keyboards in favor of acoustic piano. On seven songs she is joined by bassist Eddie Gomez and either Al Foster or Steve Gadd on drums; the remaining two selections feature her accompanied by bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Lenny White. With harmonica great Toots Thielemans making guest appearances on two numbers, Elias was at the time easily the least-known of the players on her own CD. However the pianist was already far along toward developing her own sound as she shows on four originals, two obscurities, Herbie Hancock's "Chan's Song," Blossom Dearie's "Sweet Georgia Fame" and the standard "Falling in Love with Love." A fine start to a significant solo career. ~ Scott Yanow

1 Choro 4:38 Written-By - Amilton Godoy
2 Through The Fire 6:05 Written-By - David Foster , Tom Keane
3 Illusions 7:09
4 Moments 5:53
5 Falling In Love With Love 6:23 Written-By - Lorenz Hart , Richard Rodgers
6 Iberia 10:26
7 Loco Motif 5:41
8 Sweet Georgia Fame 5:43 Written-By - Blossom Dearie
9 Chan's Song 6:18 Written-By - Herbie Hancock , Stevie Wonder

maxresdefault_zpsa919a4b9.jpg

West of 5th -- SACD

Hank Jones - Christian McBride - Jimmy Cobb

2006 Chesky Records

From the vigor and agility with which Hank Jones plays on WEST OF 5TH, one would never guess that the pianist was 88 years old at the time of this 2006 recording. Jones is joined by a fellow legendary jazz veteran in drummer Jimmy Cobb (best known for his work on Miles Davis's KIND OF BLUE), and young-gun bassist Christian McBride. The music isn't futuristic or rule-bending, but therein lies its charm. Jones, Cobb, and McBride work through a set of standards, including "On Green Dolphin Street" and "Stella by Starlight," masterfully turning material that would otherwise seem clich‚d into fresh, vital, and totally engaging jazz for the ages.

Track Listings
1. On Green Dolphin Street
2. Mr. Walker
3. Speak Low
4. A Child Is Born
5. If I Were A Bell
6. Billie's Bounce
7. Lotus Blossom
8. Confirmation
9. We'll Be Together Again
10. Stella by Starlight
11. Eleanor

Personnel: Hank Jones (piano); Christian McBride (double bass); Jimmy Cobb (drums).Liner Note Author: Ira Gitler.Recording information: St. Peter's Episcopal Church, New York, NY (01/29/2006)

JVCXR-0019-Large_zps800ce46e.jpg

The Poll Winners -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD

Barney Kessel with Shelly Manne and Ray Brown

1957/1988 Contemporary/JVC Records

Amazon.com

The Poll Winners trio was based on guitarist Barney Kessel, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Shelly Manne, who each managed to place first on his instrument in the 1956 Down Beat, Metronome, and Playboy readers' polls, a remarkable feat given the range from hardcore jazz fans to casual generalists who read the magazines. Kessel and Brown had worked together as two-thirds of the Oscar Peterson trio, and they had all played together on numerous recording sessions, but the open sound of the guitar-led trio was a special opportunity for Brown and Manne to share the foreground. Kessel was an outstanding soloist, capable of almost trumpetlike phrases delivered with rhythmic bite and flexibility--unusual in guitarists of the era. His clear, boppish lines intertwine neatly with Brown's loping pulse and Manne's lightly swinging drums, while Brown's solos are almost as dexterous as the guitarist's. It's low-key, melodic music, equally suited for casual and close listening. --Stuart Broomer

Track Listing
1. Jordu
2. Satin Doll
3. It Could Happen to You
4. Minor Mood
5. Nagasaki
6. On Green Dolphin Street
7. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
8. You Go to My Head
9. Mean to Me

Personnel: Barney Kessel (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Shelley Manne (drums).Recorded at Contemporary Studios, Los Angeles, California on March 18-19, 1957. Includes original liner notes by Nat Hentoff.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

51KV83OcXML._SS500_.jpg

Live At The Blue Note -- CD

Lionel Hampton and The Golden Men Of Jazz

1991 Telarc Jazz

Current Lionel Hampton, June 4, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Golden Men of Jazz / Live at Blue Note (Audio CD)

Hampton got together with a bunch of old buddies in the early 1990s to make this great CD. Still smiling and playing, Hampton plays right through these songs. Backed by greats: Milt Hinton, Grady Tate, Buddy Tate, James Moody, Al Grey, Clark Terry, Harry "Sweets" Edison, and Hank Jones. The tune "Flyin' Home" is always a Hampton favorite and James Moody shows his goofy side on "Moody's Mood For Love." The CD ends at the end of the set at the Blue Note as the horn players are leaving, Hampton calls another tune. They play a short "Boogie-Woogie" with just the rhythm section, Lionel, and Al Grey. Very enjoyable CD.

01 16:27 Ow!
02 9:58 Hamp's Note
03 3:44 Moody's Mood For Love
04 8:17 I Wish I Knew
05 9:45 Lover
06 6:12 Flyin' Home
07 3:41 Hamp's Boogie Woogie

9ffbc0a398a06b8632dad110.L.jpg

Just Jazz: Live At The Blue Note -- CD

Lionel Hampton and The Golden Men Of Jazz

1992 Telarc Jazz

The second of two volumes by "the Golden Men of Jazz" at the Blue Note in New York, this CD is not at the same level as the first with several almost chaotic spots; listen to how Lionel Hampton tries to hog the spotlight on "Ring Dem Bells." There are some good moments from Clark Terry, James Moody and Al Grey (although Harry Edison and Buddy Tate show their age a bit) but the earlier release, Live at the Blue Note, is a better performance. Nevertheless it's a collectors item for the Hampton fans !!!!

Personnel:

Lionel Hampton - Vibes
Harry "Sweets" Edison - Trumpet & Flúgelhorn
James Moody - Tenor Saxophone
Buddy Tate - Tenor Saxophone
Al Grey - Trombone
Hank Jones - Piano
Milt Hinton - Bass
Grady Tate – Drums

Tracklist:

01 Corner Pocket
02 Just Jazz
03 Body and Soul
04 God Bless the Child
05 Ring Dem Bells
06 Flying Home

Merry Christmas everyone.... :eek:ccasion-xmas:

ab149833e7a0e2c7a14b2110.L.jpg

Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas -- Remastered 96/24 Bit CD :text-bravo:

Kenny Burrell

1966/2003 Cadet/Verve Records

Kenny Burrell: Soulful Little Christmas, December 12, 2011
ByD.R.L. (Austin, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas (Audio CD)

~ I have a lot of Kenny Burrell CDs in my collection. I have a fair number of Christmas CDs in my collection. Having this CD that combines the two is wonderful. I had the original 1966 LP version and wore it out by playing it so many times every Christmas season. Having it on CD allows me to play and re-play it and enjoy it even more than I did in the past.
~ The arrangements by Richard Evans, Kenny, and Esmond Edwards on various tunes are outstanding - orchestra conducted by Richard Evans.
Kenny's solos are as usual tasteful, artistic, and swinging.
~ All tracks are excellent, but "Little Drummer Boy" and "My Favorite Things" are elevated to the level of being great by the arrangements and solos.
~ If you play this CD along with Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin' CD you will have yourself a Jazzy Little Christmas.

Track Listing
1. Little Drummer Boy, The
2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
3. My Favorite Things
4. Away in a Manger
5. Mary's Little Boy Chile
6. White Christmas
7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
8. Christmas Song, The
9. Go Where I Send Thee
10. Silent Night
11. Twelve Days of Christmas
12. Merry Christmas Baby

Personnel includes: Kenny Burrell (guitar); Richard Evans (arranger, conductor); Esmond Edwards (arranger), others unknown. Recorded at Ter-Mar Studios, Chicago, Illinois in October 1966. Originally released on Cadet (779). Includes liner notes by Barbara J. Gardner

51Qjc6f%2BOUL._SS500_.jpg

Moodswing -- CD

Joshua Redman Quartet

1994 Warner Bros. Records

One of the best at his very best!, August 1, 2002
By Greg Randolph (Johnson City, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mood Swing (Audio CD)

This recording in my opinion is the freshest and finest work that Joshua Redman has produced. Considering that the band make-up of Brad Mehldau, Christian McBride and Brian Blade are three of the baddest young jazz musicians today, they have also become major band leaders in their own right. I think this was the recording that set them all on their way. The songs vary from melodic to sonically intense. McBride and Blade blaze a rhythmic trail followed by the creative yet subtle piano stylings of Mehldau, all giving way to the superior improvisational skills of Redman. The songs seem almost lyrical in their expression. Whether you are a Joshua Redman fan, or someone who has never experienced his music before, this is the beginning (although he had two prior quality releases prior) of the spectacular career of one of the finest tenor sax players of these times...

"Sweet Sorrow"
"Chill"
"Rejoice"
"Faith"
"Alone in the Morning"
"Mischief"
"Dialogue"
"The Oneness of Two (In Three)"
"Past in the Present"
"Obsession"
"Headin' Home"

Joshua Redman – saxophone
Brad Mehldau – piano
Christian McBride – double bass
Brian Blade – drums

This one's a Two-fer.....

f2f2689f-6633-413b-8ccd-fb67252e2d0f_zps7e0b0b0d.jpg
f670bb09-bf4e-4739-a1dc-febb907144b7_zps7295da95.jpg

It looks like this...

b264c060ada0708380f88110.L.jpg

The Duo Sessions -- RemasteredCD

Ray Brown - Jimmy Rowles

1978 & 1980/2000 Concord Jazz

"As good as it gets - even better than 5 stars" October 25, 2000
By J. Lovins HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICE

Everybody knows Ray Brown (bassist), is a legend just by himself, but when you get another veteran like Jimmy Rowles (pianist), who is a musicians musician, well something great is bound to happen. Within the world of jazz this duo is universally admired, so when you get the two together...look out, Concord Jazz knows this all too well - "As Good As It Gets" (1978) and "Tasty!" (1980), now two classic albums in one unique specially priced 2-CD package, simply called "THE DUO SESSIONS", such a deal!

Jazz fans, these intimate, tasty and swinging jazz dialogs by the late master pianist Rowles and jazz bass legend Brown, well they're nothing less than consummate jazz artistry.

The partnership between these two wonderful human beings is truly refreshing, with selections of Ellington, Gershwin, Porter, Arlen, Van Heusen, Kaempfert and even one composed by Jimmy Rowles.

Concord Jazz, you've done it again...delicious, rhythmic, lazily lilting, airy styles of both musicians, compatible beyond all words...so "jazz lovers", it's all here...sit back and ENJOY!

Total Time: Disc One 43:43 on 10 Tracks & Disc Two 37:37 on 8 Tracks... ...

Track Listing
DISC 1: AS GOOD AS IT GETS:
1. Sophisticated Lady
2. That's All
3. Like Someone in Love
4. Looking Back
5. Honey
6. Love
7. Alone Together
8. Rosalie
9. Manha de Carnaval
10. Who Cares?

DISC 2: TASTY!:
1. A Sleepin' Bee
2. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (And Write Myself a Letter)
3. The Night Is Young and You're So Beautiful
4. My Ideal
5. Come Sunday
6. Close Your Eyes
7. Nancy (With the Laughing Face)
8. Smile

AS GOOD AS IT GETS:personnel: Ray Brown (bass); Jimmy Rowles (piano).Recorded at Coast Recorders, San Francisco, California in December 1977. Originally released on Concord (4066).TASTY!:personnel: Ray Brown (bass); Jimmy Rowles (piano).Recorded at Coast Recorders, San Francisco, California on October 22, 1979. Originally released on Concord (4122).

51G4B2Q910L._SS500_.jpg

The Great American Songbook -- 2 Remastered CD Set

Nancy Wilson

2005 Blue Note Records

One of three excellent Nancy Wilson compilations issued simultaneously by Capitol Jazz in 2005, THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK cherry-picks from the many standards that the pop/jazz vocalist recorded for the label between 1959 and '69. Here the often-underrated singer, who delicately balances emotion and clear enunciation, works with ensembles both large and small, and her various collaborators include conductor Billy May, saxophonist Cannonball Adderley, bassist Ron Carter, and pianists George Shearing, Hank Jones, and Joe Zawinul.

Just a few highlights of this collection are a rollicking big-band rendition of "What a Little Moonlight Can Do," a sauntering take on the Harold Arlen/Truman Capote-penned "Sleepin' Bee," and a gorgeously minimal version of "In a Sentimental Mood," which showcases Wilson's mellifluous voice. Although Wilson truly shines in a small-group setting, she can capably front an orchestra, as revealed on "It Never Entered My Mind" and other numbers. With 44 tracks that boast beautifully remastered sound, this well-compiled two-disc set should help to deservedly raise Wilson's profile.

DISC ONE

1 All of You -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
2 The Things We Did Last Summer -- with The George Shearing Quintet
3 The More I See You -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
4 The Nearness of You -- with The George Shearing Quintet
5 Never Will I Marry -- with The Cannonball Addereley Quintet
6 What A Little Moonlight Can Do -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
7 Little Girl Blue -- orchestrated and conducted by Milt Raskin
-- orchestra including string choir arranged by George Shearing
8 Tonight -- arranged by Jimmy Jones
9 Sometimes I'm Happy -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
10 Secret Love -- arranged and conducted by Jimmy Jones
11 A Sleepin' Bee -- with The Cannonball Adderley Quintet
12 Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words) -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
13 On The Street Where You Live -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
14 You Don't Know What Love Is -- orchestrated and conducted by Milt Raskin
15 This Time The Dream's on Me -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
16 Sophisticated Lady -- orchestrated and conducted by Milt Raskin
17 Dearly Beloved-- arranged and conducted by Jimmy Jones
18 My Ship -- arranged by Jimmy Jones
19 My Shining Hour -- arranged and conducted by Jimmy Jones
20 I'm Gonna Laugh You Out of My Life -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
21 Back In Your Own Backyard -- orchestrated and conducted by Milt Raskin
22 People Will Say We're In Love -- arranged and conducted by Billy May

DISC TWO

1 Bewitched -- arranged and conducted by Gerald Wilson
2 Try A Little Tenderness -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
3 At Long Last Love -- arranged and conducted by Sid Feller
4 In A Sentimental Mood -- with The Hank Jones Quartet
5 When The Sun Comes Out -- arranged and conducted by Jimmy Jones
6 I Thought About You -- with The Hank Jones Quartet
7 Darn That Dream -- with The Hank Jones Quartet
8 The Very Thought of You -- arranged and conducted by Gerald Wilson
9 Like Someone In Love -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
10 Angel Eyes -- arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson
11 My One And Only Love -- arranged and conducted by Sid Feller
12 The Song Is You -- arranged and conducted by Gerald Wilson
13 Lush Life -- arranged and conducted by Billy May
14 It Never Entered My Mind -- arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson
15 Prelude To A Kiss -- with The Hank Jones Quartet
16 By Myself -- arranged and conducted by Dave Cavanaugh
17 Glad To Be Unhappy -- with The Hank Jones Quartet
18 Time After Time -- arranged and conducted by Sid Feller
19 Hello Dolly -- arranged and conducted by Sid Feller
20 Supper Time -- with The Hank Jones Quartet
21 Someone To Watch Over Me -- arranged and conducted by Gerald Wilson
22 You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To -- arranged and conducted by Jimmy Jones

51THBSLwo8L._SS500_.jpg

Once When I Was Young -- CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1992 MusicMasters Jazz

On this nostalgic and often wistful set, Dave Brubeck and his 1991 Quartet (clarinetist Bill Smith, bassist Jack Six and drummer Randy Jones) play eight songs from the pianist's childhood, such numbers as "Shine on Harvest Moon," "Stardust" and "Among My Souvenirs." In addition Brubeck (who is in top form) contributed "Dancin' in Rhythm" and the title cut which in its second version is performed by a choral group. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Once When I Was Very Young
2. What is This Thing Called Love
3. Among My Souvenirs
4. Dancin' In Rhythm
5. Yesterdays
6. In a Little Spanish Town
7. Stardust
8. Shine On Harvest Moon
9. Gone With the Wind
10. (This is My First Affair So) Please Be Kind
11. Once When I Was Very Young

61uNxG1c-VL.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges

Gerry Mulligan - Johnny Hodges

1961/2003 Verve Records

Gerry Mulligan's 1959 studio date with Johnny Hodges is one of the most satisfying sessions of his various meetings with different saxophonists for Verve, yet it was inexplicably the last to be made available on CD. With a hand-picked rhythm section consisting of pianist Claude Williamson, bassist Buddy Clark, and drummer Mel Lewis, and three originals contributed by each of the two leaders, everything gels nicely, though several tracks took more than three takes (in spite of liner note writer Nat Hentoff's assertions) to reach their final form. Mulligan contributed the gorgeous ballad "What's the Rush" (where he sat back to enjoy Hodges' solo and never plays his own horn), the easygoing swinger "Bunny," and the brisk cooker "18 Carrots (For Rabbit)," the latter which its composer would revisit with his Concert Jazz Band. The veteran alto saxophonist contributed the low-key ballad "Shady Side," the sassy blues "Back Beat" (later re-recorded by Hodges during a still unreleased 1960 studio meeting with Ben Webster), and "What It's All About," another potent blues. Throughout the date, the two saxophonists blend beautifully and complement one another's efforts, even though this was their only opportunity to record together in the studio. Sadly, no alternate takes or unissued numbers (at least two of which exist) have been added to this long anticipated reissue. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Bunny
2. What's the Rush
3. Black Beat
4. What It's All About
5. 18 Carrots (For Rabbit)
6. Shady Side

Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Claude Williamson (piano); Buddy Clark (bass); Mel Lewis (drums).Recorded at United Recorders, Hollywood, California on November 17, 1959

51VbUSCBrbL.jpg

Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio -- Remastered 20bit CD

1953/1997 Verve Master Edition

It could be argued that the modern saxophonist makes some musical allusion to Lester Young--no matter how remote or indirect--in every solo rendered. On this release (1952), we hear the legendary "President of the saxophone" in great company. One can't get much more polished and refined than the Oscar Peterson Quartet (the album's title is incorrect; we do not hear a trio on this recording).Indeed, Young is superbly accompanied by Peterson on piano, Barney Kessel on guitar, Ray Brown on bass, and J.C. Heard on drums. Highlights on WITH THE OSCAR PETERSON TRIO include the somber ballad version of "There Will Never Be Another You" and the lively "Tea for Two." Finally, on "(It Takes) Two to Tango" we hear Young singing: a very rare treat. His bawdy improvised lyrics and carefree delivery are quite charming, as are the number of very funny outtakes from the session itself.

Track Listing
1. Ad Lib Blues
2. I Can't Get Started
3. Just You, Just Me
4. Almost Like Being in Love
5. Tea For Two
6. There Will Never Be Another You
7. Indiana, (Back Home Again in)
8. On the Sunny Side of the Street
9. Stardust
10. I'm Confessin'
11. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
12. These Foolish Things
13. Two To Tango (It Takes) / Two To Tango (It Takes) - (rehearsal/false start chatter/master take)
14. I Can't Get Started - (previously unreleased, false start)

Personnel: Lester Young (vocals, tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); J. C. Heard (drums).Recorded in New York, New York in November 1952. Includes liner notes by Douglas Henry Daniels.

resizesq450uid6439129.jpg

Our Gang -- SACD

The Anthony Wilson Trio

2001 Groove Note Records

Anthony's Trio is Top Notch, June 2, 2001
By Ryan Meagher (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Gang (Audio CD)

I have heard many compare LA's hippest trio to the famous Larry Goldings organ trio Back East. Though they do share some qualities, I think Anthony Wilson's trio stands by itself. Originality, creativity, swing-feel, repertoire, and "outness," are all things that set Wilson's trio apart from Goldings'. This is not to say Goldings' trio does not do these things. Lord knows they do it as good, if not better than anyone, but the guys in Anthony's trio do the same things with their own spin. I also think Joe Bagg and Mark Ferber communicate to each other on their instruments as good as anyone in the business. This Groove Note release is a great example of some of the things this trio can do. As with most musicians, the experience is really felt when it is live! The same holds true for this amazing group, but their great sound is captured on this wonderful album. I thoroughly enjoyed it from front to back. I totally recommend buying it.

Our Gang
Chitlins Con Carne
Britta's Blues
Time Flies
Road Trip
Luck be A Lady
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Prelude To A Kiss

Back