• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

A little Billy Joel on the Patio Tonight!

The_bridge_billy_joel.jpg

BillyJoel-TheEssential.jpg

Billy_Joel_-_Songs_in_the_Attic.jpg

A fellow Long Islander!! :text-bravo:

Heeman, when I was attending Iowa State my roommate was from Brooklyn, and a huge Billy Joel fan. When he came thru in concert my roommate tried to talk me into going, but I just wasn't that into him. The afternoon of the concert he told me, "Dammit, Botch, I bought you a ticket, you're going!"
I was totally floored. No warm-up band, almost a 4-hour show, no break, and they KILLED. Second-best live show I'll probably ever see (The Who took first). :handgestures-thumbup:

169979edd7a0e5aaa2197110.L.jpg

In The Dark CD

Grateful Dead

1987 Arista Records
Amazon.com essential recording

Hardcore Deadheads always equate this 1987 comeback record with commercial acceptance and a watered-down fan base, but while those assertions are indeed accurate, step back and you'll hear an album full of strong material and equally solid, live-in-the-studio performances. It's more than coincidence that songs such as "Touch of Grey" (the band's only top 10 hit), "Hell in a Bucket," "West L.A. Fadeaway," and "Throwing Stones" all became staples of the Dead's last decade of touring. While longtime fans will probably have no use (or desire) for this release (especially since the CD version omits the brilliant "Brother Esau"), it remains one of the band's most successful studio forays and the quintessential icebreaker for newcomers. --Marc Greilsamer
Side one

1. "Touch of Grey" (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:47
2. "Hell in a Bucket" (Barlow, Weir) – 5:35
3. "When Push Comes to Shove" (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:05
4. "West L.A. Fadeaway" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:39

Side two

1. "Tons of Steel" (Mydland) – 5:15
2. "Throwing Stones" (Barlow, Weir) – 7:18
3. "Black Muddy River" (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:58
4. "My Brother Esau" (Barlow, Weir) - 4:20*

*"My Brother Esau" was omitted from the LP and CD releases of In the Dark, but was included on the cassette and on international releases.

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Grateful...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299292907&sr=1-1

61ENCtUn6PL.jpg

If There Was A Way -- CD

Dwight Yoakam

1990 Reprise Records

Dwight Yoakam's fourth studio album was his most muscular yet. Alongside the overtly rocking cuts, his honky-tonkers also kicked harder than anywhere in his catalog; on top of all this, he gave his loosest, most assured-sounding vocal performances to date. That he cowrote one of the disc's biggest singles, "It Only Hurts When I Cry," with Roger Miller makes perfect sense; Yoakam and Miller shared an ambivalently loving attitude toward the country-music establishment. Yoakam's insistence on going his own way would lead to even more indelible long-players, but If There Was a Way remains among his most impressive. --Rickey Wright

All songs written by Dwight Yoakam except where noted.

1. "The Distance Between You and Me" – 2:41
2. "The Heart That You Own" – 3:08
3. "Takes a Lot to Rock You" – 2:59
4. "Nothing's Changed Here" (Dwight Yoakam, Kostas) – 2:56
5. "Sad, Sad Music" – 3:53
6. "Since I Started Drinkin' Again" – 3:52
7. "If There Was a Way" – 2:54
8. "Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose" (Kostas, Wayland Patton) – 3:23
9. "It Only Hurts When I Cry" (Yoakam, Roger Miller) – 2:33
10. "Send a Message to My Heart" (Kostas, Kathy Louvin) – 3:15
* duet with Patty Loveless
11. "I Don't Need It Done" (John Sieger) – 4:44
12. "You're the One" – 3:57
13. "Dangerous Man" – 4:15*
14. "Let's Work Together" (Wilbert Harrison) – 3:33*

*Tracks omitted from cassette version.

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/There-Was-Way...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299294581&sr=1-3

This Imported HDCD really sounds good.....

61VD2RP12WL._SS500_.jpg

Love Songs -- 2 HDCD Set

Bee Gees

2005 Universal Japan Import

Product Description

The Bee Gees have written some of pop music's greatest love songs--songs covered by innumerable artists throughout the years. But now, for the first time, the Bee Gees' original recordings of those love songs have been brought together on one album. Love Songs features 18 newly remastered romantic hits spanning 1967 to 2001 from the best-selling vocal group of all-time. Among the album's highlights is their original recording of "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away," a 1978 solo hit for Andy Gibb that the group recorded for a 1979 compilation and was covered in 2005 on the recent Barbra Streisand/Barry Gibb disc Guilty Pleasures. The collection's sole solo outing is "Juliet," from Robin Gibb's 1983 LP How Old Are You? The first truly timeless love song from the Brothers Gibb--Maurice, Robin and Barry--appeared in 1967 with "To Love Somebody." Both that song and the following year's "Words" were Top 20. "First of May" cracked the Top 40 to end the '60s. The Bee Gees then became the biggest pop group on the planet. 1971 brought "Lonely Days," their first U.S. #1 and first U.S. gold record, as well as the gold #1 "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart." The trio's contributions to 1977's Saturday Night Fever helped make history when that soundtrack became music's top-selling album (15 times platinum, certified Diamond, still the biggest selling soundtrack ever). Its gold #1 Grammy-winning "How Deep Is Your Love" ranked in the Top 10 for 17 straight weeks, setting a Billboard record. "More Than a Woman" was also heard on that landmark album. "Emotion," a 1978 hit for Samantha Sang, was performed by the Bees Gees for 2001's retrospective-plus The Record before Destiny's Child took it Top 10. In 1979, Spirits Having Flown spun off the platinum #1 "Too Much Heaven." "Heartbreaker" was first heard sung by Dionne Warwick in 1982 but was later recorded by the Bee Gees for The Record, as was "Islands in the Stream, which in 1983 went #1 Country/#1 pop for Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, and is included here as a live version. Culled from the Bee Gees' four final studio albums are "Secret Love" (1991's High Civilization), the Adult Contemporary Top 40 hit "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (1993's Size Isn't Everything), "Closer Than Close" and "I Could Not Love You More" (both from 1997's Still Waters), and "Wedding Day" (2001's This Is Where I Came In). The Bee Gees were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997 and have earned 16 Grammy nominations and won seven Grammy Awards, including the prestigious Grammy Legend Award in 2003. Today, the Bee Gees' legacy continues to grow as each new generation discovers pop music's greatest icons. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

1. To Love Somebody
2. Words
3. First of May
4. Lonely Days
5. How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
6. How Deep Is Your Love
7. More Than a Woman
8. (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away
9. Emotion
10. Too Much Heaven
11. Heartbreaker
12. Islands in the Stream
13. Juliet
14. Secret Love
15. For Whom the Bell Tolls
16. Heart Like Mine (bonus track)
17. Closer Than Close
18. I Could Not Love You More
19. Wedding Day
20. Lovers and Friends (bonus track)

My last one for the evening....

9ef57220eca065df1aae7010.L.jpg

Live In Australia -- CD

Elton John with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

1987 MCA Records

The Definitive Elton John Collection, May 13, 2004
By Todd Foster (UNited States) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Live In Australia With The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (Audio CD)

This album to me is the definitive Elton John collection. The choice of songs is impeccable. Mostly made up of songs from the early years of the John-Taupin relationship, it is the definitive way Elton should be heard. The older songs such as "Sixty Years On", "The Greatest Discovery", and "The King Must Die" are rare nuggets that reveal a time when the writing styles of the duo was very raw. In my opinion, the version of "Tonight" is a lot richer sounding than the version on "Blue Moves". "Tiny Dancer" and "Burn Down the Mission" are Elton concert staples, but are given added luster with the addition of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. And of course this is the album that brought "Candle In The wind" back to the masses. Released as the single from the album,it brought Elton back to the Top 10 after approximately 4 year absence. True Elton fans know that right after this album was recorded, Elton had nodules removed from his throat. Knowing this adds to the rawness of his vocals and the emotions from the recordings.(Elton did not know the severity of his throat problems at the time.) Given all of this, "Live In Australia" defines Elton John's career and is a cornerstone of his catalog that all fans should have. If I am introducing someone to Elton John, this is the album I would buy them.

1. "Sixty Years On" – 5:41
2. "I Need You to Turn To" – 3:14
3. "The Greatest Discovery" – 4:09
4. "Tonight"– 5:58
5. "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" – 3:58
6. "The King Must Die" – 5:21
7. "Take Me to the Pilot" – 4:22
8. "Tiny Dancer" – 7:46
9. "Have Mercy on the Criminal" – 5:50
10. "Madman Across the Water" – 6:38
11. "Candle in the Wind" – 4:10
12. "Burn Down the Mission" – 5:49
13. "Your Song" – 4:04
14. "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" – 8:46

The original 1987 US CD release on MCA Records (MCAD-8022) is longer by ten seconds, clocking in at 73.58.

The 1998 re-mastered CD edition on Mercury/Island Records (314 558 477-2) runs only 73.48.

The missing time is due to the removal of several seconds of applause following the song “Tonight.”

The track-list for both editions is the same. However, the running time of most of the re-mastered tracks vary from the original release due to a different placement of the track marks between songs. In many cases, the track mark changes move a song’s spoken introduction from the beginning of the track to the end of the preceding track.

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/Live-Australi...2O88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299299951&sr=1-1

71jVVR1zD3L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Janis Joplin

1973/1990 Columbia Records

More than Cheap Thrills or even Pearl, Greatest Hits has helped keep Janis Joplin's short-lived recording career alive for listeners who came along after her 1970 death. "Me and Bobby McGee" is the biggest draw, of course--it was a posthumous No. 1 single--but the rest is equally exciting. Despite the familiarity of the titles here, this goes far beyond the merely serviceable. Finally, the cover photo of Janis smiling in a sunny park is as poignant a shot of her as exists. --Rickey Wright

1. "Piece of My Heart" (Bert Berns, Jerry Ragovoy) – 4:14
2. "Summertime" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Dubose Heyward) – 4:02
3. "Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" (Ragovoy, Chip Taylor) – 3:57
4. "Cry Baby" (Bert Berns, Ragovoy) – 4:00
5. "Me and Bobby McGee" (Fred Foster, Kris Kristofferson) – 4:34
6. "Down on Me" (Janis Joplin) – 3:09
7. "Get It While You Can" (Ragovoy, Mort Shuman) – 3:27
8. "Bye, Bye Baby" (Powell St. John) – 2:37
9. "Move Over" (Joplin) – 3:44
10. "Ball and Chain" (Big Mama Thornton) – 7:59

61MjDD8Z3ML._SS400_.jpg

I already owned this disk, but saw it on Amazon in Surround, so I bought it again. Well worth it, it really sounds nice. :text-bravo:

Botch said:
Heeman, when I was attending Iowa State my roommate was from Brooklyn, and a huge Billy Joel fan. When he came thru in concert my roommate tried to talk me into going, but I just wasn't that into him. The afternoon of the concert he told me, "Dammit, Botch, I bought you a ticket, you're going!"
I was totally floored. No warm-up band, almost a 4-hour show, no break, and they KILLED. Second-best live show I'll probably ever see (The Who took first). :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch - It is a shame that only a couple of his shows were captured on film. He is quite the showman and they are all GREAT musicians in his band!! His DVD Live at Yankee Stadium, is very good. The video quality is not great, but it is a great show!

heeman said:
His DVD Live at Yankee Stadium, is very good. The video quality is not great, but it is a great show!
Added to the list! :text-thankyoublue:

51%2BTT4o0obL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I wished they would release all of Pete's albums on CD This disc is pretty good.

I also got this one in the mail, but haven't had a chance to spin it yet........

5113MlUdezL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

f3bbe893e7a05c1bdffc6110.L.jpg

Retrospective: The Best of Buffalo Springfield -- CD

Buffalo Springfield

1969/1990 ATCO Records

Amazon.com

Only a handful of bands have made a greater impact with fewer recordings than the short-lived Buffalo Springfield. Their history is told in the titles of their three albums: 1967's eponymous debut was followed by the peak-performance Again later that year, which was followed by 1968's Last Time Around. While their entire recorded career encompasses a mere two years, the Stephen Stills-Neil Young-Richie Furay-led quintet produced a number of '60s rock classics. Stills chipped in "For What It's Worth" and "Bluebird"; Furay's "Kind Woman" is one of the touchstones of country-rock; and Young fired off the likes of the raucous "Mr. Soul," the gentle "I Am a Child," the ambitious "Broken Arrow," and the breathtakingly pretty "Expecting to Fly." They're all on this 12-song overview, a suitable option for anyone who isn't up to stocking up on the entire catalog. --Steven Stolder

Side One:

1. "For What It's Worth" (Stills) – 2:37
* Recorded December 5, 1966, Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone. Running time incorrectly listed on the album's cover as 3:00.
2. "Mr. Soul" (Young) – 2:35
* Recorded April 4, 1967. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
3. "Sit Down I Think I Love You" (Stills) – 2:30
* Recorded August 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
4. "Kind Woman" (Furay) – 4:10
* Recorded February-March 6, 1968, Atlantic Studios, New York City & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Jim Messina. Producer: Jim Messina.
5. "Bluebird" (Stills) – 4:28
* Recorded April 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bobby West
6. "On the Way Home" (Young) – 2:25
* Recorded November 15-December 13, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer.

Side Two:

1. "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" (Young) – 3:26
* Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
2. "Broken Arrow" (Young) – 6:13
* Recorded August 25 & September 5-18, 1967, Columbia Recording Studios & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
3. "Rock and Roll Woman" (Stills) – 2:44
* Recorded June 22, August 8 & October 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Rhythm guitar: Jim Fielder. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
4. "I Am a Child" (Young) – 2:15
* Recorded February 5, 1968, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Gary Marker. Producer: Jim Messina.
5. "Go and Say Goodbye" (Stills) – 2:19
* Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
6. "Expecting to Fly" (Young)– 3:39
* Recorded May 6, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Arrangement: Jack Nitzsche. Note: Neil Young is the only member of the group who appears on this recording.

LINKY----> http://www.amazon.com/Retrospective...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299360945&sr=1-1

The price of this one is going up. New, unopened it is going for between $149-$280! :scared-eek:

61IOyY4ZN%2BL.jpg

Layla and other assorted love songs -- 24k Gold CD

Derek and The Dominos

1970/1993 MOFI Ultradisc II

The greatest guitar album of the rock era, November 10, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Derek and the Dominos/Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (Audio CD)

If you only know this album from hearing "Layla" on the radio, then your first question after hearing this will be: "Why don't they play the rest of it?" Even if you are sick of "Layla", this album is a treasure chest of searing pain songs, caused by Eric Clapton being dumped by Patti Harrison, wife of Beatle George. Even the relatively hookless tunes like "Keep On Growing" and "Anyday" get over on sheer desperate passion. Plenty of guitarists can make their instrument scream, but only Clapton, on "Bell Bottom Blues", had ever made it sob. This was Clapton's absolute peak--all the power and virtuosity of his Cream years are encapsulated here, cast in a personal blues tone that anticipates almost everything he ever did thereafter. Duane doesn't suck either. If you can, read the 1985 interview with Clapton in Rolling Stone. He relates how the band was all nodded out on drugs the entire time. Do _not_ try this at home; they are trained professionals!
Side one

1. "I Looked Away" (Eric Clapton, Bobby Whitlock) – 3:05
2. "Bell Bottom Blues" (Clapton) – 5:02
3. "Keep on Growing" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 6:21
4. "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" (Jimmy Cox) – 4:57

Side two

1. "I Am Yours" (Clapton, Nezami) – 3:34
2. "Anyday" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 6:35
3. "Key to the Highway" (Charles Segar, Willie Broonzy) – 9:40

Side three

1. "Tell the Truth" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 6:39
2. "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 4:41
3. "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" (Billy Myles) – 6:52

Side four

1. "Little Wing" (Jimi Hendrix) – 5:33
2. "It's Too Late" (Chuck Willis) – 3:47
3. "Layla" (Clapton, Jim Gordon) – 7:05
4. "Thorn Tree in the Garden" (Whitlock) – 2:53

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/Layla-Other-A...=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299362667&sr=1-6

Back