• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51Yhyb8hdJL._SS500_.jpg

In Hi-Fi Stereo -- CD

Mindi Abair

2010 Telarc

Product Description

Any artist who takes his or her craft seriously will inevitably reach a point on the journey when history can no longer be overlooked. The direct line between the music of now and the music of then becomes too important to ignore, and the riches of generations past are suddenly rediscovered - and eventually reinterpreted for a new era. Saxophonist Mindi Abair has reached that critical juncture. After more than a decade of performing, songwriting and recording, she has taken a step back from the more polished sensibilities of contemporary jazz and embraced the sounds of past decades - specifically the `60s and early `70s, a period widely regarded as the golden age of R&B, soul and funk.

The result is In Hi-Fi Stereo. The album captures the raw and edgy aesthetic of that golden age, when a slab of vinyl could instantaneously put band and listener together in the same room and establish a visceral and enduring connection. Loaded with infectious grooves generated by a high-caliber crew of players, In Hi-Fi Stereo rekindles that spark for a new generation of ears.

"This album is a reflection of some of the older, more soulful records I've been listening to in the last couple years," says Abair, firing off a list of favorites that include Al Green, Alain Toussaint, Junior Walker, King Curtis, Archie Bell and the Drells, and many others. "I think it all kind of seeped into me over time. I wanted to move away from a more produced sound and just get into the studio and play. It didn't have to be perfect. It didn't have to be shiny and new. It's not an intellectual record. It's a fun, feel-good record inspired by some of those great sounds and grooves from that period, but recast for a modern audience."

Co-produced by Abair and R&B mainstay Rex Rideout (who also lays down keyboards on nearly every track), In Hi-Fi Stereo includes a roster of players representing the old school as well as the new. In addition to Abair's touring band, the album is seasoned with a number of guest players: veteran drummer James Gadson (a frequent session player for Bill Withers, Amos Lee and Nikka Costa), bassist Reggie McBride (Aretha, Rickie Lee Jones and Keb' Mo'), Mindi's Berklee classmate and friend Lalah Hathaway, nominated 2010 R&B Female Vocalist of the year, Ryan Collins and David Ryan Harris.

Start to finish, In Hi-Fi Stereo is something classic and something new at the same time. "It's a vintage sounding record, a modern take on a very classic sound," she says. "We didn't make your father's jazz record. We didn't set out to make an `old' record. It's not about doing what's been done before. It's about drawing on what and who inspires you, and bringing it into your world and making it your own - and then putting it out there for a new generation of people who love jazz and soul."

1. Any Way You Wanna
2. All Star
3. Le'Espirit Nouveau
4. GetRight
5. Be Beautiful - Featuring David Ryan Harris
6. Down for the Count
7. Girl's Night Out
8. Let The Whole World Know (Sing Your Song)
9. It's a Man's Man's Man's World
10. Take Me Home
11. The Alley

My last one for the evening...

c75653a09da0ab24ef496110.L.jpg

Third Wish -- CD

Joyce Cooling

2001 GRP Records

Amazon.com

One of the most refreshing guitar voices to come out of smooth jazz in the last five years, Joyce Cooling returns with her third album, her first for a major label. Cooling's instantly recognizable scat-guitar style is used prominently throughout: as a melody line on Brazilian-flavored "Tamba"; accompanying the bridge and second verse on the heavy groove "Jelly on My Jacket"; and to enhance her solo on the title track. Al Jarreau joins in on the wordless vocal fun with Cooling on the aptly titled "Mm-mm Good." The Grammy-winning singer is the only ringer on Third Wish. The guitarist and her partner, keyboardist-producer Jay Wagner, wisely continue to record with their working band, which adds to the cohesiveness of this upbeat 10-track effort. Guest trumpeter Bill Ovitz does give the lowdown and funky "East Side" a kind of Rick Braun-Jeff Golub collaborative vibe; otherwise, Third Wish shows the kind of originality and growth for Cooling and her band that is pretty rare in the derivative smooth-jazz world. --Mark Ruffin

Track listing

1. Third Wish
2. Tamba
3. MM-MM Good
4. Daddy-O
5. Don't Mind If I Do
6. Jelly on My Jacket
7. It'll Come Back to Me
8. East Side
9. Whenever the Rain Falls
10. It's All Because of Loving You

Dennie said:
df3881b0c8a099e1ba54a110.L.jpg

Slow Ride and Other Hits -- CD

Foghat

1997 Flashback Records

Just what I needed, December 27, 2001
By Christopher Fryer (United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Slow Ride & Other Hits (Audio CD)

Probably not enough for the die hard Foghat fan but this has all I need. I waited a long time to find this on cd! Anthology is ok but it is missing a few gems that can be found on this cd - I'll Be Standing By, Third Time Lucky, and What a Shame. I recommend this solid cd! Update: After getting Fool For The City I have to say that both of these cds should be in your collection. There are 4 good songs from FFTC that are not on this best of cd. Get em both!

Track listing

1. Slow Ride
2. Drivin' Wheel
3. I'll Be Standing By
4. Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool)
5. I Just Want to Make Love to You
6. Fool for the City
7. What a Shame
8. Stranger in My Home Town
9. Ride, Ride, Ride
10. Stone Blue

FOGHAT FUN FACT: In 1990 we bought my grandparents house (my Grandfather and family actually built it in 1950) in Port Jefferson Village, LI, NY. There was a small little bungalow across the street. One night I was up late and I saw a U-hual Truck and some guys moving in some band equipment. I found out the next day that Roger Earl the Drummer for Foghat was now my neighbor. I shared many a beer with him and actually played wiffle ball with him, his girlfriends son Lanny and my step son Ricky. They split up a year or so later, Roger moved out first and the house was rented to a non-rocker.

heeman said:
Dennie said:
df3881b0c8a099e1ba54a110.L.jpg

Slow Ride and Other Hits -- CD

Foghat

1997 Flashback Records

Just what I needed, December 27, 2001
By Christopher Fryer (United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Slow Ride & Other Hits (Audio CD)

Probably not enough for the die hard Foghat fan but this has all I need. I waited a long time to find this on cd! Anthology is ok but it is missing a few gems that can be found on this cd - I'll Be Standing By, Third Time Lucky, and What a Shame. I recommend this solid cd! Update: After getting Fool For The City I have to say that both of these cds should be in your collection. There are 4 good songs from FFTC that are not on this best of cd. Get em both!

Track listing

1. Slow Ride
2. Drivin' Wheel
3. I'll Be Standing By
4. Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool)
5. I Just Want to Make Love to You
6. Fool for the City
7. What a Shame
8. Stranger in My Home Town
9. Ride, Ride, Ride
10. Stone Blue

FOGHAT FUN FACT: In 1990 we bought my grandparents house (my Grandfather and family actually built it in 1950) in Port Jefferson Village, LI, NY. There was a small little bungalow across the street. One night I was up late and I saw a U-hual Truck and some guys moving in some band equipment. I found out the next day that Roger Earl the Drummer for Foghat was now my neighbor. I shared many a beer with him and actually played wiffle ball with him, his girlfriends son Lanny and my step son Ricky. They split up a year or so later, Roger moved out first and the house was rented to a non-rocker.
Cool Story, Thanks for sharing it!

Dennie

Today's work truck music...

660e224128a05b7d00988010.L.jpg

Collection -- CD

Tracy Chapman

2001 Warner Bros. Records U.K. (Import)

The best of Tracy Chapman., March 13, 2005
By H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" (thanks for the helpful review votes) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This review is from: Collection (Audio CD)

I never thought I'd get a Tracy Chapman album that was better than her debut, but this is it. It takes songs from her first five albums, including 4 tracks from her debut, and 4 from her "New Beginning" album. The first 4 songs alone from "Collection" make this worth owning, they're all perfect. But other tracks like "Crossroads", "Smoke And Ashes", "All That You Have Is Your Soul", and the popular "Give Me One Reason" are all wonderful too. There's not one bad song here, and each one that I didn't know previously, I now love as well. Highly recommended. If you're wondering why this is import only, I found it at Best Buy for 15 bucks.

1. "Fast Car" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 4:58
2. "Subcity" - [Crossroads 1989] 5:12
3. "Baby Can I Hold You" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 3:14
4. "The Promise" - [New Beginning 1995] 5:28
5. "I'm Ready" - [New Beginning 1995] 4:56
6. "Crossroads" - [Crossroads 1989] 4:13
7. "Bang Bang Bang" - [Matters Of The Heart 1992] 4:22
8. "Telling Stories" - [Telling Stories 2000] 3:58
9. "Smoke And Ashes" - [New Beginning 1995] 6:39
10. "Speak The Word" - [Telling Stories 2000] 4:13
11. "Wedding Song" - [Telling Stories 2000] 4:36
12. "Open Arms" - [Matters Of The Heart 1992] 4:34
13. "Give Me One Reason" - [New Beginning 1995] 4:29
14. "Talkin' 'bout a Revolution" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 2:40
15. "She's Got Her Ticket" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 3:56
16. "All That You Have Is Your Soul" - [Crossroads 1989] 5:15

Good choice, Botch. ;) I'd certainly like to hear what you think of it. (here or in the classical thread)

Love it, just wish I'd gotten the SACD/Surround instead of this stereo CD (I may still do that, would make a good "comparison" pair).

Yeah, it seems maybe the one sold in the states is just the CD (with English liner notes), but the SACD is only sold in Europe/Germany (and has only German liner notes)? Not sure... I was kinda confused about this myself, and thought I was ordering a CD when I got the SACD - but I think it was from a European reseller on amazon.

I have been on a Warren Zevon kick lately. So....

41BYNKGT6QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51u5hLXe8kL._SS500_.jpg

51kmzxaau9L._SS500_.jpg

51qkpSx7%2BcL._SS500_.jpg

Personally, I don't think he got the recognition he deserved. But that's just my opinion!!!

PaulyT said:
Huh, never heard of him. What sort of music is it?

Whaa? Never heard of Warren Zevon? Well he goes from straight rock and roll to ballads, but mostly he was known for a caustic wit and a look at the underbelly of life. I'm sure you must have heard of "Werewolves of London" or "Excitable Boy" perhaps? Probably David Letterman's most frequent musical guest. As a youngster spent time at the house of Igor Stravinsky. Died of a rare form of lung cancer in 2003 before which he recorded his last album called "The Wind". Recorded it with Bruce Springsteen, Ry Cooder , David Lindley, Tom Petty, among others.
Do a Youtube search of Warren Zevon and "Keep Me in Your Heart for Awhile"
Mike
PS: I just got done reading his autobiography hence part of my Zevonomania!!! :teasing-tease:

51B3X2QANPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

EDIT: Damn, I had forgotten how rhythmically tight this album is! :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

PaulyT said:
Huh, never heard of him. What sort of music is it?

Does "Werewolves Of London" ring a bell?

Warren wasn't a celebrated performer, but was an incredible song writer.

Rope

Ok, I've probably heard his songs and just don't know it. I'll look up Zevon on youtube...

Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner, Hasten down the Wind, Desperados Under the Eves and Mohamed's Radio are some my Favorites of Warren Zevons. Might check those out on Youtube also see his last apperance on Letterman after he was diagnosed terminal. He was a personal favorite of mine and many songs you may have heard other artist do he wrote. Mcad funny thing i just listened the Wind today and watched some youtube clips i miss his music. Ill have to check out that autobiography. I seen he said on Letterman he lived a lifestyle like Jim Morrison but unlike him he got a 30 year run out his bad behavior.

Yet again, in 5.1 SACD......

7111.jpg

:music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening:

ae42a2c008a094a035a77010.L.jpg

Soul'd! -- CD

Earl Thomas

2003 Memphis Int'l

The third release from singer Earl Thomas seems like it emerged out of a mid- to late-'60s Muscle Shoals session. Jerry Wexler, producer of R&B legends like Etta James, Wilson Pickett, and Solomon Burke, is a fan and supporter of the vocalist. He contributes liner notes comparing Thomas to some of the greats, reinforcing the connection. But after one spin, anyone who loves great soul music will instantly appreciate this terrific album. It's as if Thomas has tapped into the spirit that created the classic R&B/soul sound. Not only is the production free of almost all contemporary flourishes (a synthesizer sneaks in unobtrusively on a few cuts), but the songwriting and playing -- especially the horn section -- is so authentic you'll be checking the credits for the recording date. Thomas wrote or co-wrote six of the ten songs, and they are nearly as good as the recognizable covers of "I'd Rather Go Blind," Ragovoy/Shuman's "Look at Granny Run Run," and Tony Johnson's "Midnight in Memphis." The singer's voice -- smooth but gutsy -- nails these tracks, but he never hogs the show or the arrangements, which are crisp and tight. Guitars and horns solo, then retreat to make room for Thomas' emotive vocals. A gospel-infused chorus helps bring religion to "I Won't Be Around," adding even more authenticity to the sound. "Stronger Than My Flame" fuses organ, snappy drums, punchy horns, and a searing performance from Thomas to make the tune fire on all cylinders. Those who have lost faith in the ability of contemporary soul music (circa 2003) to capture the warmth, inspiration, and intensity of the '60s need to add this, as well as the previous two Earl Thomas albums, to their collections. ~ Hal Horowitz

Track listing

1. I'll Love You No Less
2. I'm Broken Hearted
3. Rather Go Blind
4. Stronger Than My Flame
5. Look at Granny Run Run
6. I Won't Be Around
7. Little Brother
8. First and Last Thing on My Mind - (featuring Kelley Hurt)
9. Take It Like a Man
10. Midnight in Memphis

Back