• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

This tune popped into my head today, had to call it up on EweTube:

Fantastic melody, feel, fun chord changes, spot-on harmonies, and hilarious lyrics. The video was top-notch, too.
Fountains of Wayne were a fantastic "power-pop" band, and the album Welcome Interstate Managers (that has this song) is right up there with Bridge Over Troubled Waters as a great, start-to-end album.
They played many of the late-night TV shows but were plagued with severe stage fright, didn't sound so good. Their next album was good but not the level of WIM, and they kinda faded into obscurity after that. The bass player/primary songwriter (whose name escapes me) died early on during COVID. They shined bright, but brief. :expressionless:

This tune popped into my head today, had to call it up on EweTube:

Fantastic melody, feel, fun chord changes, spot-on harmonies, and hilarious lyrics. The video was top-notch, too.
Fountains of Wayne were a fantastic "power-pop" band, and the album Welcome Interstate Managers (that has this song) is right up there with Bridge Over Troubled Waters as a great, start-to-end album.
They played many of the late-night TV shows but were plagued with severe stage fright, didn't sound so good. Their next album was good but not the level of WIM, and they kinda faded into obscurity after that. The bass player/primary songwriter (whose name escapes me) died early on during COVID. They shined bright, but brief. :expressionless:
Botch,
I think you are talking about Adam Schlesinger. I agree WIM is a great album but so is their eponymous album. Radiation vibe is a killer tune.Leave the biker is another great one. Just sayin!

Botch,
I think you are talking about Adam Schlesinger. I agree WIM is a great album but so is their eponymous album. Radiation vibe is a killer tune.Leave the biker is another great one. Just sayin!
Yes, Adam. And Agreed! I didn't remember the "Saw" references in that video (a movie I haven't, nor won't, see) but the Biker line "crumbs in his beard, from the Seafood Special" may just go onto my own tombstone! :rofl:

OK Human, Weezer. Something about this album that I can't put my finger on!! Orchestral accompaniment certainly helps!! Love it!!
Weezer_-_OK_Human.png

Ah! Leia! - Donnie Iris
GREAT frickin' tune, hit the bars when I was a Sr. at SDSU, absolutely loved the tune. Double memories here too, he mentioned the pool in Idaho Springs, we gigged at The Wagon Wheel often in that town too (a fun tourist town with hot spring streams and pools running thru the town and even under a couple of the hotels.

EDIT: Of course, we can't forget this one!

:listening:

Last edited:

Ah! Leia! - Donnie Iris
GREAT frickin' tune, hit the bars when I was a Sr. at SDSU, absolutely loved the tune. Double memories here too, he mentioned the pool in Idaho Springs, we gigged at The Wagon Wheel often in that town too (a fun tourist town with hot spring streams and pools running thru the town and even under a couple of the hotels.

EDIT: Of course, we can't forget this one!

:listening:

Agree 1000%
Ah Leia is a killer track!!

I'm completely unfamiliar with this artist, but she just BURNS here! And I am so happy that Chick's catalog lives on! I've tried to replicate Al Jarreau's singing of this, got it up to about 85% or so.

Level 42 is in my Top 3 Bands of All Time. They haven't been very successful here in the States, but they've held a record for selling out Wembley Stadium for two weeks straight! (something to be said for paying for music education in our schools)
They've also had an interesting career arc. Great albums for about the first six or so, then half of the members left, but they still pop up on albums, single tracks, and in songwriting/playing credits. Their last album (that I'm aware of) was called "Siren", came out about 4, 5 years ago*; they changed their sound a lot with the addition of some EDM elements, I liked the sound of it.

Tonight, the first concert video from that album popped up on my EweTube, and it's great! Enjoy.

EDIT: * make that 7, 8 years ago, seeing the date on the video

Was watching the Maple Leafs game on Saturday night (they broke my heart once again) when this song came on in the pregame. Someone at CBC , Hockey Night in Canada , was raised right!!

Well, the bass strings' tone didn't strike me at all (I'm not a bass player).
But listen to him play!
I thought was what you meant.
I think his tone it outstanding and it seems pretty common for the current gang of solo bass artists.
My guess is you are more of a P Bass guy.

Came up in my Spotify feed, and the lyrics are hysterical. Looked it up on youtube to post here, and found this cool version with SRV. Not sure I've ever seen SRV play an acoustic before.

Back