• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you reading now?

I've never read the books, and haven't seen all of the movies, but you will probably enjoy the park more if you watch the movies. Most of the actors are a part of the rides, so knowing who's who does help. Escape from Gringotts is a great ride, so make sure to do that one for sure.

Finished the first Potter book in three evenings; just started the second book and enjoying it through the first five chapters...

618lbdseMgL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A good read about how the band got started.

armada.jpg

I REALLY liked Ready Player One -- of the 2,125,957 references to 80's nerd culture, I probably didn't get about a dozen.

This one has a little bit of the nostalgic reference thing, but it's more a straight ahead novel.... which was just ok. It's a quick easy read, but it wasn't as fun as Ready Player One. I'd give it a C+.

Ha! Just started re-reading the Dark Tower set. I've read just about everything that SK has written, but not the above... I think maybe I've missed some of the more recently published books.

Finished the Bill Hodges trilogy. Took me awhile on the third one because it took more of a typical Stephen King twist, which I did not like.

images

Not the first Jack Reacher novel Lee Child wrote, but chronologically it is the first so I started with this one!! Plus, it was available at my local library!!

The_enemy_book.jpg

I have been enjoying my third outing with author Jeffery Lent and his book, A Peculiar Grace: A Novel. I read his first book, Lost Nation, after a stellar review in the Wall Street Journal turned me onto it. He writes in very luscious language which bring out feelings in moments and places. He also tends to create male protagonists with whom I can relate to in terms of their behaviors, reactions, and their decisions to be alone while desperately wanting to be loved. What his books lack in energy and action is made up for in calm joy and slow and steady development. I am about a third of the way through, and I am truly enjoying it.

312274.jpg

Careful Mike: they are highly addictive!

Jeff

ps. Neat that you are going chrono on the series. I've gobbled them up in order of publication. Will be starting Night School in a day or two. In a few months my turn should come for a library copy of a compilation of 12 Reacher short stories that's about to be released.

I did far less summer reading this year than most, but two books impressed me quite a bit.

I decided that my knowledge of evolution / natural history had perhaps not kept up with recent discoveries so I grabbed a copy of this 2015 gem from the local library.

510HkyoP0DL__SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If ever you want to learn how changes in climate / environment can have massive effects on life, its existence and evolution, this is the one to read. It takes you right back to the beginning of life on Earth right up to recent times. This was as much an eye-opening experience as an update for me.

I then decided to get more focused: on dinosaurs and very specifically tyrannosaurs. (FYI, tyrannosaurus is but one species in the tyrannosaur family). This fascinating book (which I had with me at the GTG) tells you all you want to know about those amazing beasts, and more.

81LScR+ti9L (Medium).jpg

With "evolution" on my mind, I was drawn to this story today.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...stions/ar-AAr5i4M?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

But what caught my eye in that article was mention of "convergent evolution." An argument against evolution (usually in support of creationism) goes something like "Only God (or a god) could have created eyeballs, since so many animals, and us, have them. There's no way they (or [insert a feature / property here]) could have "evolved" independently all on their own. But in fact they did; many many times. While not covering eyes in a lot of detail, this Wiki entry on the topic is a great summary of the topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

I'm waiting two more books from the library, both from 2014, to complete that genre of summer reading.

51kt3hzTzPL.jpg

51zJS6PmxbL.jpg

Jeff

Back