• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you reading now?

koufax65 said:
Hey SRVY, just wondering why you have that picture of a black man for your avatar, No way you are black.

Thats the late great Little Hatch local great KC blues harps man seen him met him and considered him a friend my way of honoring this little known legend.

Why no way im not black? No im not whats the point dont get it?

A bit embarrassed to admit but my niece gifted me the Hunger Games trilogy on my Kindle.

I started reading the first one yesterday. Well written enough to keep my attention and a fast read.

I avoided the Twilight series/phenomenon but may get hooked into this one.

Srvy said:
Thats the late great Little Hatch local great KC blues harps man
Thanks, it looked like he was holding a harp but I could never quite read his name.

Botch said:
Srvy said:
Thats the late great Little Hatch local great KC blues harps man
Thanks, it looked like he was holding a harp but I could never quite read his name.

Learn something new everyday. All this time I thought it was Cosby holding a cigar.

yeah, I probably need glasses. :doh:

Man, I am going to feel like a complete idiot for sharing this with you guys. I am a little hesitant.

But, here is the simople truth. I have never read a book. I have read parts of a lot of books, mostly for school, but I have never read from page 1 to page last, of ANY book. I can read a Boating, Motorcycle, or Home Theater type magazine cover to cover the day it arrives in my mailbox, but I have never read a book.

I have tried reading books about things I am interested in like my fave musicians (Stevie Ray Vaughn), I have tried reading books about colorful characters that I think may be interesting (Forrest Griffin and Dennis Rodman), books about Harley Davidson, and books about what I feel is my life's calling, Fire Fighting. I have tried fiction and non fiction. Never finished one.

Randy said:
Man, I am going to feel like a complete idiot for sharing this with you guys. I am a little hesitant.

But, here is the simople truth. I have never read a book. I have read parts of a lot of books, mostly for school, but I have never read from page 1 to page last, of ANY book. I can read a Boating, Motorcycle, or Home Theater type magazine cover to cover the day it arrives in my mailbox, but I have never read a book.

I have tried reading books about things I am interested in like my fave musicians (Stevie Ray Vaughn), I have tried reading books about colorful characters that I think may be interesting (Forrest Griffin and Dennis Rodman), books about Harley Davidson, and books about what I feel is my life's calling, Fire Fighting. I have tried fiction and non fiction. Never finished one.

Now days it takes me forever to Finnish a book after three or four pages im nodding off. Many years of working away from home staring at 4 walls of a Red Roof Inn etc. and staring at the idiot box because you really dont feel like going out to eat and getting bombed with the guys every off hour you take up reading or surrender to the XBOX but I was never a gamer. When you work the the highway construction oil pipelines and electric transmission lines or work for the NGS you do 2 things on the road drink to kill time which I got tired of or find things to pass 3 to four hours before you got to bed. I know my :violin: rant is now over .

scuba,
I don't know if that would help. I just simply can't stay interested in any of the books I have rea. I have tried dozens of books that people have assured me I would not be able to put down.

I could.

Randy said:
scuba,
I don't know if that would help. I just simply can't stay interested in any of the books I have rea. I have tried dozens of books that people have assured me I would not be able to put down.

I could.

You could download magazines and newspapers I think at least the sony with calibre you could not sure about Kindle.

Reading this one now:

51DllCLpyuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I like Steyn. He's not afraid of offending anybody.

Srvy said:
Randy said:
scuba,

I could.

You could download magazines and newspapers I think at least the sony with calibre you could not sure about Kindle.

I have downloaded hundreds of books from the torrents and used Calibre to convert, format, tag and transfer to my Nook. It works with Kindle and just about every other device out there as well.

51E-OqhPObL-1.jpg

This is an amazing and very disturbing story at the same time.

North Korea has a number of concentration camps and unlike other camps we may be familiar with thru history many of the people in these camps were not taken from their lives and placed there but were are born, live and die there never knowing another existence. Born and raised in prison for supposed crimes committed by past family members.

Shin Dong-hyuk is the only person born in North Korean camp known to have escaped, eventually making his way to the US.

Randy said:

But, here is the simople truth. I have never read a book. I have read parts of a lot of books, mostly for school, but I have never read from page 1 to page last, of ANY book.

Same here. Reading has never been my thing.

^^ I've found that it's not such a rare thing. I know several people that say they have never finished a novel including my father-in-law, and he has a Masters Degree.

For me the key to enjoying it was:

1. Don't try to read fast.

2. Don't worry about finishing the book. Eventually you will run out of pages.

Learning those two things are what turned books into an entertainment instead of a chore. :twocents-mytwocents:

:text-bump:

Finally got this one read this past week:

412ifURn95L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Jobs really was a complete asshole, glad I never had to work for him. The book was very informative for me however, regarding building a business, building wealth, and how personalities can, and can not, have an effect on climbing the corporate ladder (something I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out these last four years).

Finished it while at my Mom's last week, got the first 1/4 of this one down, very fascinating!

jefferson-art-of-power.jpg

Last book finished was Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power, by Jon Meacham. It was fascinating on two counts: one, how similar the conservative/liberal debates were 230-some years ago, to today. Secondly, how close, on several occasions, the infant United States were to falling apart; we really were quite lucky in the early years.
I'm about halfway through Tom Brokow's The Greatest Generation, a book I'm thinking should be required reading for every damn US kid with an iPhone in his pocket and drives a BMW to his junior high school. Also started Charcuterie, the Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing, by Ruhlman and Poleyn. I'll be posting more about this one in the Food forum. :drool:

I've also realized how static my reading has been the last six months; need to log off a bit more (and if Facebook actually starts audio commercials every time you log on, that'll help)

Nice! Well, I can add that I finally finished the entire Wheel of Time - took about 9 months. Reading Butcher's Dresden Files series now.

If y'all haven't read it, the book "Wonder" is a terrific read. It was actually an assignment for my daughter's 4th grade reading class, but it's well worth reading as an adult too.

FYI, we did have a "what are you reading" thread somewhere (which kinda died)... maybe could be moved into this new section.

PaulyT said:
FYI, we did have a "what are you reading" thread somewhere (which kinda died)... maybe could be moved into this new section.
I remember that thread; good idea! :handgestures-thumbup:

Back