• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you watching via streaming?

Last of Us on HBO Max episode one was pretty good. Wish they released the whole series at once I usually don't start watching until they do so I can binge the whole thing. Now I'm stuck waiting.

I thought it was important to tell the back story and make the connection to Harry and his Daughter.
And I get that. It's just that she seems to be trying so hard to act exactly like Harry did, and it comes off, at least to me, as a little weird. I'll continue to watch, but my expectations have been lowered for sure.

And I get that. It's just that she seems to be trying so hard to act exactly like Harry did, and it comes off, at least to me, as a little weird. I'll continue to watch, but my expectations have been lowered for sure.
I get it.

Last of Us on HBO Max episode one was pretty good. Wish they released the whole series at once I usually don't start watching until they do so I can binge the whole thing. Now I'm stuck waiting.
have you played the game by any chance?

some people are excited, others are a bit disappointed.

truly understand people not seeing 'ellie' as ellie. but im more pissed that they didnt get tess right. other than that, its a tv series. no game will ever trascend properly into a tv or movie without some compromises.

the-last-of-us-joel-tess-ellie.jpg

Anna-Torv-Tess.jpg

have you played the game by any chance?

some people are excited, others are a bit disappointed.

truly understand people not seeing 'ellie' as ellie. but im more pissed that they didnt get tess right. other than that, its a tv series. no game will ever transcend properly into a tv or movie without some compromises.
I have not played the game although as a semi retired gamer I fully appreciate the sentiment that cinematic versions of games can often disappoint gamers. I like what I have seen from this series so far so I guess I think it stands on it's own even if it's not perfect depiction of the game characters or situations. Watching second episode tonight.

I don’t know why people get so disappointed with adaptations and minor twists and changes. If you want a carbon copy of the original, watch, read, or play the original. I can appreciate some surprises as long as they’re done respectfully. Changes don‘t always work but a fresh take on any material isn’t a bad idea, it’s in the execution. Also particularly with movies, projects are chosen with general audiences in mind or at least they should if they (the studio/investors) want to maximize their investment. If it’s just about fan service there’s potentially overall less appeal and youre likely to wind up with a poor reception and a project stopped dead in its tracks.

Last edited:
I don’t know why people get so disappointed with adaptations and minor twists and changes. If you want a carbon copy of the original, watch, read, or play the original. I can appreciate some surprises as long as they’re done respectfully. Changes don‘t always work but a fresh take on any material isn’t a bad idea, it’s in the execution. Also particularly with movies, projects are chosen with general audiences in mind or at least they should if they (the studio/investors) want to maximize their investment. If it’s just about fan service there’s potentially overall less appeal and youre likely to wind up with a poor reception and a project stopped dead in its tracks.
I don't care too much about original reference material literary or video game faithfulness or accuracy either... I think I actually prefer when a film adaptation can stand on its own. But I also do like fun references tossed in to make uber fans happy like (for example) in the latest cheesy King Kong vs. Godzilla movie when they were fighting Mechagodzilla some of the fight moves were straight out of the old Atari video game. Probably missed by some but for Godzilla fanboys it was a cool moment. Little stuff like that usually makes me smile and thankful that the film makers bothered to acknowledge some obscure fan favorite details.

I don't care too much about original reference material literary or video game faithfulness or accuracy either... I think I actually prefer when a film adaptation can stand on its own. But I also do like fun references tossed in to make uber fans happy like (for example) in the latest cheesy King Kong vs. Godzilla movie when they were fighting Mechagodzilla some of the fight moves were straight out of the old Atari video game. Probably missed by some but for Godzilla fanboys it was a cool moment. Little stuff like that usually makes me smile and thankful that the film makers bothered to acknowledge some obscure fan favorite details.
For sure there’s a balance. Directors and producers have to acknowledge what makes stories and characters popular and stand the test of time and smart enough to give a fresh take. Honestly, if I’m not given something new, I consider it a waste of time more often than not.

Last of Us 2nd episode was solid but I am definitely suffering for having started series before the whole thing was available to binge watch. But then again Raised By Wolves disappeared from HBO Max library which is one of the main reasons I subscribed to that service. Annoying. Now it's pay per view on demand on Amazon. I hadn't watched the second season yet and now I have to pay $15 to see it despite having the HBO Max subscription where it lived for a year.

Groan.

Last of Us 2nd episode was solid but I am definitely suffering for having started series before the whole thing was available to binge watch. But then again Raised By Wolves disappeared from HBO Max library which is one of the main reasons I subscribed to that service. Annoying. Now it's pay per view on demand on Amazon. I hadn't watched the second season yet and now I have to pay $15 to see it despite having the HBO Max subscription where it lived for a year.

Groan.
I'm kind of surprised at some of the shows HBO has pulled from the schedule. You would think it wouldn't cost much just to keep them on the server, but if not many people are watching, I can see why they did it. Second season was just ok of Wolves, not sure I'd spend money to see it. First was so much better.

Wife and I have been streaming old episodes of Rules of Engagement, and that is show that could not be made today, even though it's only been off the air for 10 years. Hilarious at times, but hardly ever PC.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the shows HBO has pulled from the schedule. You would think it wouldn't cost much just to keep them on the server, but if not many people are watching, I can see why they did it. Second season was just ok of Wolves, not sure I'd spend money to see it. First was so much better.
It probably has to do with rights to the content more than anything. After contractual obligations expire they will most likely end up back on what ever form of HBO streaming exist….HBO Max, or HBODiscovery, etc

It probably has to do with rights to the content more than anything. After contractual obligations expire they will most likely end up back on what ever form of HBO streaming exist….HBO Max, or HBODiscovery, etc
That might be some of it, but they have cleaned house in their streaming catalog, so I don't think it's all about rights. Stuff that was Warner Brothers property from years ago type of stuff.

Yeah that's what I heard too but I did enjoy the first season so I will probably watch the next one even if it's not as good.

There’s gonna be continuing restructuring at HBOD because Zaslav is trying to get the company out of financial free fall. They’re cancelling shows, licensing properties, selling tv series, etc….no one knows how things will shake out or when it will end. I’m sure it’s a rights issue on some content and more directly financially related on others. For instance, as someone who follows Batman content across live-action and animation etc….I was aware of a newly launched Batman Animated series that was being developed for HBOMax and that service is rumored to have a DC “hub” in its final form when HBODiscovery determines the most appropriate course for streaming services. Now that project is being shopped for other streaming platforms to maximize the financial gains….if it doesn’t get picked up it most likely to just get cancelled instead of seeing the light of day. That could mean a Netflix or Amazon exclusive series…

There’s gonna be continuing restructuring at HBOD because Zaslav is trying to get the company out of financial free fall. They’re cancelling shows, licensing properties, selling tv series, etc….no one knows how things will shake out or when it will end. I’m sure it’s a rights issue on some content and more directly financially related on others. For instance, as someone who follows Batman content across live-action and animation etc….I was aware of a newly launched Batman Animated series that was being developed for HBOMax and that service is rumored to have a DC “hub” in its final form when HBODiscovery determines the most appropriate course for streaming services. Now that project is being shopped for other streaming platforms to maximize the financial gains….if it doesn’t get picked up it most likely to just get cancelled instead of seeing the light of day. That could mean a Netflix or Amazon exclusive series…
Well when they canceled a finished, I believe, 90 million dollar movie, you know something is wrong there.

Well when they canceled a finished, I believe, 90 million dollar movie, you know something is wrong there.
Yeah there’s a pretty complex story behind Batgirl and its cancellation. Short story is is was originally created for HBOMax only, then prior leadership increased its budget for theatrical release AND HBO Max simultaneously. Meanwhile the DC cinematic universe is widely considered a sinking ship in its current form and the Batgirl movie was a part of it. Zaslav made a difficult decision to cancel it and take a write off as the best option, as it was considered not good enough for theaters and brought nothing to HBO Max financially. Unless someone on the inside releases it illegally, it will also never see the light day.

Yeah there’s a pretty complex story behind Batgirl and its cancellation. Short story is is was originally created for HBOMax only, then prior leadership increased its budget for theatrical release AND HBO Max simultaneously. Meanwhile the DC cinematic universe is widely considered a sinking ship in its current form and the Batgirl movie was a part of it. Zaslav made a difficult decision to cancel it and take a write off as the best option, as it was considered not good enough for theaters and brought nothing to HBO Max financially. Unless someone on the inside releases it illegally, it will also never see the light day.
Which is too bad. Guess it's better to take a big loss like that versus releasing a dud that might bring the DC universe down even farther.

Back