• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What concert/show are you going to?

On Dec. 1 I'm watching the Austin Symphony as they perform pieces by two titans of the Romantic period: Johannes Brahms and Robert Schumann. They will perform Schumann's lush and heavy Symphony No. 4 and conclude with Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 2 which many consider a top ten best piano concerto ever written. It has a finale which is a "thrilling, virtuoso showcase." It will be performed by world-renowned pianist, Orli Shaham!

On Dec. 1 I'm watching the Austin Symphony as they perform pieces by two titans of the Romantic period: Johannes Brahms and Robert Schumann. They will perform Schumann's lush and heavy Symphony No. 4 and conclude with Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 2 which many consider a top ten best piano concerto ever written. It has a finale which is a "thrilling, virtuoso showcase." It will be performed by world-renowned pianist, Orli Shaham!

Gheez, what fun is going to a concert when you already have the set list!

Chris Botti is coming to Baltimore next weekend, which I didn't know until it popped up on my facebook feed. I thought, "what the hell let's see how extravagant the prices are..." and clicked on the link. Well wouldn't you know it, there were two fourth row center seats, just screaming out "BUY ME!" and they actually weren't all that bad - $50 each. Not dirt cheap but for someone of Botti's calibre, not terrible. So more or less on impulse, I bought them. I'm a big fan of Botti's, his Boston concert is one of my favorite music vids. I have no idea what sort of group he's currently touring with or what they'll be playing - jazz, pop, (probably) some mix.

I'm actually really stoked about this. It's been quite some time since I been to any sort of live music performance.

WOW WOW WOW this was one of the best concerts experiences I've had in a long LONG time. First, the venue - Baltimore's Meyerhoff, a full size and beautiful concert hall:

IMG_20181125_143718989-L.jpg

Our seats were amazing, turns out there's no row A so our seats (row D) were actually the third row, almost dead center; the view:

IMG_20181125_143852793-L.jpg

Sorry these are just crappy cell phone pics, I only took a few (trying as Flint has said to just enjoy the concert and not worry about photos), this is about the best I got:

IMG_20181125_163620091-L.jpg

At one point Chris came down between the stage and the front row, could just about reach out and touch him (sorry that sounds kinky):

IMG_20181125_162021617-L.jpg

Wife ran up to the stage after it was over and got to shake his hand. (I missed my chance because I went back for her bloody purse... oh well.)

Overall the basic format of the concert was a lot like his concert videos. No orchestra though, just his band. Very much a jazz foundation, though some of the music tended more towards pop and even classical. The core of the band was Chris on trumpet, pianist/keyboardist, string/electric bassist, drummer, and electric guitarist. He also had a number of guests - a violinist, saxophonist, a female (black) jazz/gospel style singer, and an amazing young tenor (his Nessun Dorma was awesome). Sorry I don't remember all their names at the moment, nobody I knew by name before-hand but that's not saying much. The drummer, Lee Pearson (just looked it up), has been with Spyro Gyra. He and the tenor were my favorites aside from Chris himself, who of course was awesome.

Chris really knows how to put on a good show. He's really involved with the audience, much more so than you get from the concert blu-rays. Talks, jokes, and what impresses me most is how he shares the spotlight with the other band members and guests. He's definitely not putting himself front and center all the time. In fact many songs he's not on stage at all, or standing off to the side in the dark. He gives everyone their moment to shine. A big highlight was the drummer's solo; his grandmother had recently (like within the past few days) passed away, AND he grew up in Baltimore, so he dedicated it to her. Great solo, very jazz style (so you know it was good :laughing:) and at one point he was playing with his hands only which I thought was cool. He also noticeably broke several sticks over the course of the evening. I've said before how much I love Billy Kilson's playing (he's on Botti's Boston vid), and Pearson is right up there in comparison, maybe 98%. (In my humble evaluation.)

I am so thankful we got to experience this, especially given the almost random last-minute-ness of it.

Funny though, we were about the youngest people I saw in the audience... (you can see this in that first pic). Not sure what the many gray-haired ladies thought of the more intense jazz/rock numbers. ;)

A few more pictures here:

https://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/Events/Chris-Botti-2018/

Last edited:
Been to a myriad of concerts and punk rock shows since I last posted.

Van Halen with DLR at Red Rocks, The Damned, Black Sabbath, Weezer, Iron Maiden, and about 30 0r 40 others... seriously I've been going to 2 or 3 shows a month lately, my wallet is very sad.

Tonight, Night Ranger at the Paramount theater on downtown Denver. They'll play their first two albums in their entirety. never got to see them in the 80's. The USA version of Def Leppard in my book, good, ol radio friendly 80's rock!

The weather was perfect, we ate at a fancy new place built in the old Austin Electric Power Plant in DT Austin, sat outside without any heaters on and a perfect light breeze. Then we walked around the front of the Long Center's gathering area looking over the Austin skyline while enjoying a few adult beverages before sitting down for the performance. I am so blessed to have this amazing, and improving, symphony in my town.
Wow! What an amazing show! They opened with a 5 minute piece which was written by a 17 year old kid (he's now 20 and studying composition at Rice University in Houston). It was a haunting piece, and used the entire orchestra quite well.

The rest of the performance was spot on, and I loved the way Orli Shaham played the piano. So far she is my favorite pianist to perform with the ASO. Whooop!

As you might have heard, Dead & Company announced a 19 city tour this summer. One stop is Gillette Stadium on June 22nd. I messaged my son, he's in and he was able to get early access. We're going! Reasonable price with fees about $100. Since I am about 2 hours away figured I get a room in Patriots Place. Renaissance, starting at $721 a night. So, we'll be staying about 10 miles away. At < $500 from that price. Beyond that seeing this group with my son will be special.

https://www.gillettestadium.com/event/dead-company-summer-tour-2019/

Last night I attended a pops performance of the Austin Symphony where two amazing and experienced musicians performed from the songbooks of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Trumpeter and singer (and all around entertainer of the Rat Pack genre), Byron Stripling, and legendary vocalist Carmen Bradford were amazing in capturing the mood and energy of those classic songs. It was amazing, and the orchestra was perfectly on point.

What made this a unique experience was the venue and style of event. We sat at round tables like one would at a gala, got to meet new people, and brought our own food to eat. So, it was relaxed, fun, and a proper hoot.

If you have a chance to see Byron and Carmen as they tour the USA performing with local symphonies, I highly recommend it.

Next week, at a small place here in town:

09abac68-5323-49b6-ae4f-6a788cc4d165_890071_RETINA_PORTRAIT_16_9.jpg

The Neal Morse band! Honestly I don't know Neal's solo stuff all that well (more familiar with Flying Colors but he's in so many bands...), but I know these guys are top-notch musicians. And I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Portnoy live!

The Neal Morse band! Honestly I don't know Neal's solo stuff all that well (more familiar with Flying Colors but he's in so many bands...), but I know these guys are top-notch musicians. And I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Portnoy live!

You my friend are in for a treat...............you totally suck!!

You suck!!!! He never plays anywhere near me, so I won't likely get to see that band in person.

Last night we saw John Mellencamp at the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee.

What a FANTASTIC show..................

Highly recommended if you have a chance to see him.

So, while in Vegas we are going to see Cher and we are really excited.

If we could have gone a week later we could have seen Aerosmith which would have made me more excited, and if we could have gone next week we could have seen Duran Duran which would have had both of us much more excited.

Damn, if I lived in Vegas I would have to have SuperMegaPowerLotto money to be able to afford all the shows I would want to see.

So, while in Vegas we are going to see Cher and we are really excited.

If we could have gone a week later we could have seen Aerosmith which would have made me more excited, and if we could have gone next week we could have seen Duran Duran which would have had both of us much more excited.

Damn, if I lived in Vegas I would have to have SuperMegaPowerLotto money to be able to afford all the shows I would want to see.
Easily solved. Quit your job, move to Vegas, become a professional gambler and be wildly successful at it. Easy no?

Easily solved. Quit your job, move to Vegas, become a professional gambler and be wildly successful at it. Easy no?

Oh HELL, had I realized it was that easy I would have put that plan in motion already! Thanks Mike!!!

I am still in awe!

Last night I attended a joint concert of the Austin Symphony Orchestra with grammy winning Conspirare Choir performing Brahms Requiem. I've never heard this piece live, and I was lost in reverie the entire time.

If you ever get the opportunity to see a performance of a huge (60+ member) choir performing an amazing piece like this, do it! Few things can move your spirit to heights of ecstacy like a huge choir doing their thing.

I am still in awe!

Last night I attended a joint concert of the Austin Symphony Orchestra with grammy winning Conspirare Choir performing Brahms Requiem. I've never heard this piece live, and I was lost in reverie the entire time.

If you ever get the opportunity to see a performance of a huge (60+ member) choir performing an amazing piece like this, do it! Few things can move your spirit to heights of ecstacy like a huge choir doing their thing.
Awesome. That is probably my single most favorite large choral work.

Back