• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Do I Need?

Did you rip it to your HDD? Because that's the only difference here. I really think it's the fact that I'm ripping to an external USB storage device.

Why not rip everything to your HDD and bulk transfer the files later?

That could be. Everything I rip goes over the network (1Gb Ethernet) to my server's 4 drive RAID-5 array. The real bottleneck is the network.

Towen7 said:
Why not rip everything to your HDD and bulk transfer the files later?
First of all, I didn't know it would take this long. Secondly, my laptop only has a 128GB SSD and my office PC has 2 300GB drives and I'm dealing with nearly 1 TB in data.

USB is a terrible HDD interface. I am certain that is your bottleneck. You could open "Resource Monitor" and see how fast the USB drive is operating. Chances are it is at full USB speed (480Mbps).

Flint said:
You could open "Resource Monitor" and see how fast the USB drive is operating.
Where can I find such a thing? I just used the start menu search and it didn't show up.

I found the Resource Monitor but I don't see USB-throughput-specific info.

I think I know why it's no faster on my office PC than my laptop. USB 2.0.

I'd swear when I built this thing that my mother board supported USB 3.0 but I just got down there with a flashlight and looked around. Not a single port marked with SS. :angry-cussingblack: So I checked my mobo manual. All 12 ports are 2.0. :angry-cussingblack:

Towen7 said:
See... If we ignore you long enough you'll solve your own problems.
Zing said:
I think I know why it's no faster on my office PC than my laptop. USB 2.0.

I'd swear when I built this thing that my mother board supported USB 3.0 but I just got down there with a flashlight and looked around. Not a single port marked with SS. :angry-cussingblack: So I checked my mobo manual. All 12 ports are 2.0. :angry-cussingblack:
:laughing-rollingred:

I'm even bigger. :handgestures-thumbup:

Wow, now we know why this site runs so efficiently now. :laughing:

Yeah, I know....I'm a dick too. :angry-tappingfoot:

I can't believe how frequently I'm getting 5, 6 and sometimes 7 CDs that barely become 1GB of data. I'm about 45-50% complete in ripping my collection and I've only amassed 160GB of data from 479 CDs.

I originally expected to exceed 500GB and wanted room to grow so I bought I 1TB drive. Now it seems I'll barely crack 350GB when I'm done. :think:

You probably already mentioned but (since I'm too lazy to look) what format are you ripping to?

WMA Lossless.

And while we're at it, would you care to enlighten me on how a 67MB wav file can become a 21MB wma file and be considered lossless? What exactly comprised the missing 46MB...the gap of silence between that file and the next one?

Compression doesn't mean lossy. The wav is probably just uncompressed data, the wma compressed.

Yes, like a .zip file where the contents of your files are exactly preserved, just squished down into a smaller number of bytes. Lossy is one way to "compress," in a way, and it works (in part) by dropping some data. But there are also lossless compression algorithms, that give you back the full unaltered data, such as used by FLAC which usually compresses ~60-70% at its highest setting.

PCM, or.wav = unencoded audio (large file size)
MP3 = compressed audio (some audio material removed or lossy, small file size)
WMAL = encolded audio (no audio material removed, but compressed like a zip, or RAR file, lossless when decoded by player, medium file aize)

LPCM = unencoded discrete 5.1/7.1 audio (full size file)
DD 5.1, DTS = lossy compressed LPCM, some audio material removed (small audio file)
DD True HD, DTS HD Master Audio = encoded LPCM (no audio material removed, but compressed like zip or RAR file, lossless when decoded by player or processor).

Anywho, that's the way I understand the compression/encoding schemes.

Rope

PaulyT said:
Yes, like a .zip file where the contents of your files are exactly preserved, just squished down into a smaller number of bytes.
Yup. They take out all the zeros and just leave the ones.

(I am of no help on this thread, but I'm sure learning a lot! :handgestures-thumbup: )

Back