• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What happens when Flint makes a Line Array?

So, like Rumpelstiltskin, our forum buddy Dentman showed up from Houston to listen to these beasts. Even the mighty 6' 6" giant from NJ was dwarfed by these monstrous beasts!

LineArray06a.jpg

Along with lots of listening, he helped me install some quickly built wings which made the width of the baffle 44 inches, thus getting much more bass reinforcement. I gotta say, I don't feel any need to build or add a subwoofer.

LineArray07.jpg

After some measurements and listening, I added a simple single order crossover to the full-range drivers, making them effectively mid-bass drivers. With a simple inductor from my drawer of old crossover components, the treble was rolled off from the full-range drivers which eliminated the overlap between the tweeter and the 16 woofers in the speaker. The result, surprisingly, was an increase in the acoustic output in the tweeter's operating range of nearly 6dB, helping to significantly improve the treble performance. I guess I have some work cut out to design, build and install a proper crossover between the newly designated "Mid-Bass" drivers and the tweeter.

Something Dentman brilliantly realized while I was auditioning some music was that the listening experience was vastly enhanced if we moved the listening position further from the speakers. The original listening position was about 9 feet from the speakers, after moving the dining table and pulling the chairs back we were about 12 feet from the speakers, and the difference was staggering. Clearly these speakers project, like seriously.

I am starting to love these speakers. Up until now I was just surprised and impressed with what a bunch of $2.00 full-range speakers could do. Now I am discovering the magic of both line array speakers and dipolar open baffle speakers. I'll get into why in future posts.

I'm back from visiting "Franklins Speaker Emporium", known locally as "The wall of Sound". As always it was a fun trip and great to see my friend again.

As for the new speakers, well I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to put into words how they sound. I think the problem is that word "sound", it's to limiting. As corny and over the top as it sounds you experiance these speakers more then listen to them or just hear them.

The speakers don't have a great midrange, or great high end. They suffer from flaws nearly everywhere. I had to get that out of the way because perspective is everything here. Come on guys were talking about $2.00 drivers here. He got them on clarence but even if the original price was 3 times that we're still only talking about 6 dollar drivers and a $20.00 tweeter.

Now that that's out of the way I have say these speakers are extremely fun and enjoyable to listen. In my opinion they jumped to life after he spent all of 5 minutes putting a few pieces of spare x-over parts together to limit the drivers range.

Think Maggie's but with absolutely no volume limatations. These things don't even break a sweat reaching well into the 90db area with no sub. You'll never play them loud enough to where they start to stress in my opinion. As for imaging, things are as they should be, not stellar but very nice. More importantly then that they simply fill a room with sound in an orderly very pleasant way. I wouldn't want them as my "critical listening", or "referrance" speaker, but would love to have them as my living room/entertainment speaker.

I'm now very interested in open baffle line array speakers. In spite of all that can be looked at as negatives to the design for critical 2-ch listening it just doesn't matter. This design has its place and should be looked into and taken very serious. Think fun, effortless, huge, and a wall of sound, that's what they offer.

1. Those speakers make Dent look thin - with all due respect to Dent; and

2. It's really nice to see that Flint has finally come over to the Side of the Good and is now building BIG speakers rather than those little wee things he'd been so in love with previously.

Jeff

Awesome. Since my ceilings are 8 ft, I'm not sure I could fit those speakers or @Dentman in my house. Ha ha

Being a nerd I have to point out that I designed these speakers to fit into any room a 8 foot high ceilings with a few inches to spare. That was intentional.

I have been refraining posting my impressions in detail for several reasons:
  1. I am still making changes to the system which will significantly alter the performance and sound.
  2. What I am hearing now is extremely enjoyable but very different from my reference system.
  3. The limitations are always present, but the experience tends to overcome them.
  4. What I love about them I am struggling to find words to describe.

1. Those speakers make Dent look thin - with all due respect to Dent; and

2. It's really nice to see that Flint has finally come over to the Side of the Good and is now building BIG speakers rather than those little wee things he'd been so in love with previously.

Jeff
Give me 4 pair of them, now!!!!

1. I am still making changes to the system which will significantly alter the performance and sound.
  2. What I am hearing now is extremely enjoyable but very different from my reference system.
  3. The limitations are always present, but the experience tends to overcome them.
I'm sure there is a whole bunch more you can get out of them once your done. Hell, just playing with placement, and seating positions is going make dramatic changes. The new tweeters and x-over, that much more.

And yes they are very hard to describe for various reasons.

If it does turn out to be affordable to build such speakers after you are all done, I wonder how well three of them would work behind a false wall and acoustically transparent screen in a home theater.

If it does turn out to be affordable to build such speakers after you are all done, I wonder how well three of them would work behind a false wall and acoustically transparent screen in a home theater.

I like your thinking, but I don't know if the sound would be well suited for a HT application. Also, they definitely need to be away from the rear wall, so the room would have to be HUGE with the transparent projection screen a good 3 to 5 feet away from the wall behind it.

Some form of active crossover?

Perhaps changing the position of the tweeter from the vertical mid-point?

Some form of active crossover?

Perhaps changing the position of the tweeter from the vertical mid-point?

No active crossovers, the whole point was to make these as cheaply as possible. I may use a digital active crossover to experiment with crossover parameters which I will make from affordable passive components later.

The tweeter is currently above the midpoint by one woofer height. I am thinking of getting a little array of 4 to 8 affordable tweeters to mount just to the outside of the woofers.

No active crossovers, the whole point was to make these as cheaply as possible. I may use a digital active crossover to experiment with crossover parameters which I will make from affordable passive components later.

The tweeter is currently above the midpoint by one woofer height. I am thinking of getting a little array of 4 to 8 affordable tweeters to mount just to the outside of the woofers.
Something like beryllium? Sorry just kidding

Well, heck.… Madisound had a great deal on Round Ribbon Tweeters, so I got a bunch of them.

LineArrayTweeters_01.jpg

At less than $6 each, I got enough to do six per side. YEAH!!!

I need to measure their performance, especially their sensitivity, in order to make an appropriate crossover for them. Thinking a 3kHz crossover.

Why do I get the feeling that any day now, you are going to change your name to Dr. Franklinstein and start proclaiming, "It's Alive!! It's Alive!!"

I wish I lived near Texas as I would love to hear what these things sound like. If nothing else, it looks like your enjoying the project.

This is fun. The challenge is to get the most out of cheap parts.
You've already more then accomplished that. I'd say at around 6 times what you spent you might match them sound quality wise at low volumes with small bookshelf speakers. But you'd be no where near what you have overall.

I still cant help but ask, all else being equal what the hell would they sound like with a $1,200.00 driver budget?

I still cant help but ask, all else being equal what the hell would they sound like with a $1,200.00 driver budget?

They'd sound great, but the character of being open baffles, tall line arrays, and such would remain the same. The big improvements would be in smooth frequency response, bass extension, and tighter tone. The room would still fill in the characteristic open baffle line array fashion and the main improvements would be most realized at high volumes.

Back