• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

Semi related rant...

I have recently decided that streaming quality is just not good enough for me yet for major visual big screen movies (Dune, Bond, etc). So while I know it's a dying breed I am still buying BluRay's of top tier big screen movies here and there just for picture quality alone. I can't stand the messy artifacts especially in dark scenes. Example: Tried to watch new Mad Max the other day with girlfriend who wanted to see it and it was streaming for free on some platform (HBO Max I think) and both the video and audio were terrible so I dug out my BluRay copy and it was night and day better. Not even close. For some movies I don't really care. Drama's, etc. But for any movie with decent visuals and/or cinematography and again especially any movie with a lot of dark night, under water or outer space scenes I can't stand the messy streaming quality. For the record I have a pretty solid/fast internet connection, hard wired and trusty old 1080p Panasonic plasma. Some streaming content looks better then others but none come anywhere close to BluRay picture quality yet IMO. At least not on my rig. Same for the sound. The dialogue alone in Mad Max was night and day better/different on BluRay.
likewise. in some way or fashion, it still also supports the movies and the labor that goes in to it. streaming may be accessible, easy and to some free, but it also takes away a portion of royalties that some if not all studios use to share towards their employees, not only the actors but all the way down to the janitor who cleans up afterwards.

or so i hope.

Watched new Marvel flick Shang-Chi on Disney plus yesterday really enjoyed it we thought it was the best Marvel movie we had seen In a while. I was way into the Master of Kung Fu comics as a kid (heavily influenced by uncle with martial arts passion he would bring comics home for me to read).

Side note: The video quality on the IMAX version streaming on Disney plus was IMO the best I have seen. Still not a Blu-ray but noticably superior to anything we have seen streaming on Amazon, Netflix, on demand cable, etc. Anyone know what Disney might be doing differently? Same devices, same internet connection, same plasma TV. But it looked much better with little to no artifacts.

Last edited:
Watched new Marvel flick Shang-Chi on Disney plus yesterday really enjoyed it we thought it was the best Marvel movie we had seen In a while. I was way into the Master of Kung Fu comics as a kid (heavily influenced by uncle with martial arts passion he would bring comics home for me to read).

Side note: The video quality on the IMAX version streaming on Disney plus was IMO the best I have seen. Still not a Blu-ray but noticably superior to anything we have seen streaming on Amazon, Netflix, on demand cable, etc. Anyone know what Disney might be doing differently? Same devices, same internet connection, same plasma TV. But it looked much better with little to no artifacts.
I watched today and agree with your assessment. Best Marvel movie in a while.

i was actually going to ask that, so,

is it cropped? remember back then when we had the big 'no no' on zoomed vs widescreen vs original. is that the same case here?

Nightingale comes out on BluRay this week pre-ordered a copy looking forward to watching again that movie hits pretty hard but I thought was excellent. Tough to watch at times (see earlier review) but a seriously well made film. The streaming version wasn't great video so looking forward to BluRay.

was going to ask you monkey about this.

what do you mean by pretty hard etc, was it violent, er... for example bone tomahawk violent? or gory? scenes that are more disturbing than the usual?

i want to see it, but at times, certain movies have put a dent on me (perfect example was one later scene in bone tomahawk with kurt russell).

i was actually going to ask that, so,

is it cropped? remember back then when we had the big 'no no' on zoomed vs widescreen vs original. is that the same case here?
I believe Disney Plus is streaming two different versions. One is HD regular widescreen I think 2:35:1 with slim black bars (at least it looked that way in the little thumbnail preview) and the other which we watched was IMAX which filled the whole screen (1.78:1 or 1:85:1 not sure). It was like on the Batman Dark Knight bluray when they aspect ratio would jump back and forth from 2.35:1 to filling the whole screen because Christoper Nolan only filmed some of the scenes with IMAX cameras. But with Shang Chi the whole thing was IMAX. So it never changed while we were watching this streaming version.

was going to ask you monkey about this.

what do you mean by pretty hard etc, was it violent, er... for example bone tomahawk violent? or gory? scenes that are more disturbing than the usual?

i want to see it, but at times, certain movies have put a dent on me (perfect example was one later scene in bone tomahawk with kurt russell).
Super hard scene to watch... pretty graphic violence against a woman and her infant son (among others throughout the film but this scene in particular is brutal). It's a bitter revenge story and this scene makes the revenge very compelling IMO. Still not easy to watch. Fair warning.

Super hard scene to watch... pretty graphic violence against a woman and her infant son (among others throughout the film but this scene in particular is brutal). It's a bitter revenge story and this scene makes the revenge very compelling IMO. Still not easy to watch. Fair warning.
yikes. so i guess its similar to bone tomahawk scene then. even worse.

is it up there with monica bellucci scene?

for those interested, its on netflix. Nightingale.

yikes. so i guess its similar to bone tomahawk scene then. even worse.

is it up there with monica bellucci scene?

for those interested, its on netflix. Nightingale.
Not as hard to watch as Bellucci in Irreversible but that might be one of the most brutal scenes I have ever seen.

Side note: I have said this before over the years but it bears repeating here I try not to shy away from shocking or offensive content in films so long as it serves a meaningful, creative or artistic purpose in the telling of the story and not done just for shock value alone. Bad things happen in the world... always have always will. Depicting these things in film can be hard to watch but also necessary for character or story development. In the case of The Nightingale the trauma that the main character endures is IMO essential to her character development and the rest of the story. This is not to suggest that everyone should rush to watch this movie immediately with popcorn and the family because what is depicted is pretty horrifying. But it's a powerful story about the human spirit and more specifically tells the story of a period in history and the abuses that happened regularly to the Irish and Aboriginal servants and slaves at that time. Very compelling bit of film making IMO and definitely flew way under the radar. If you can stomach it I would not hesitate to recommend it. I thought Jennifer Kent's direction, leading lady Aisling Franciosi's acting performance and her companion character played by Baykali Ganambarr were top of the heap for movies I have seen in the past few years. Very powerful storytelling and acting all around. Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are all pretty solid.

Rotten Tomatoes Reviews...

Most notable reviewer comments all of which I agree with 100%.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.20.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.20.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.20.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.20.30 AM.png

just woke up.

i want to recommend nightingale. i really do. its a tragic, painfully emotional movie of a woman and another subjugated person. a journey of pain we will never understand why some people would do such things.

as monkey has mentioned, this is a brutal movie. and ive tried to explain it to him, but essentially think of it as how we look towards a shotgun scene for example.

hollywood has had so many examples of what or how a shotgun can 'kill' someone.

this film shows the ending result of how your head reacts to buckshot. not blurred. not panning away. just enough so you can see it 3 seconds ago your brain told you to to turn away.

just woke up.

i want to recommend nightingale. i really do. its a tragic, painfully emotional movie of a woman and another subjugated person. a journey of pain we will never understand why some people would do such things.

as monkey has mentioned, this is a brutal movie. and ive tried to explain it to him, but essentially think of it as how we look towards a shotgun scene for example.

hollywood has had so many examples of what or how a shotgun can 'kill' someone.

this film shows the ending result of how your head reacts to buckshot. not blurred. not panning away. just enough so you can see it 3 seconds ago your brain told you to to turn away.
Yeah it's definitely not light hearted viewing material. Don't get me wrong I laughed out loud watching Spy with Melissa McCarthy and Jason Statham cracking raunchy jokes. Silly comedy but it cracked me up. Not every movie needs to be a punch in the gut. Depends on the mood. But when a film tells as powerful and compelling a story as (IMO) The Nightingale did I am willing to endure some heavy content even if may be difficult to watch. I'm very glad I stumbled across this one and watched it and I'm glad you made the effort as well. I felt like I learned something about the events and historical time period being portrayed in the film and the experience was like I said powerful even if it was a little tough to watch at times. Film (at it's best) artfully imitates and portrays life and life is not always pretty.

Last edited:
what sucks is how we keep on referring to the americans wiping out the native americans out of their country,

and yet no one brings up the wickedness that australia and new zealand had to tolerate.

let alone the spaniards...

tried to search for my post about the last duel on here. couldnt find it for some reason.

The last duel

no, its not another good will hunting.

so... in a nutshell, its a 2.45 hour movie. typical scott length.

paced like a european movie.

the primary cast did an exceptional job, so did the supporting actors.

goddamn ben affleck and his 'english from the borroughs' accent. its as fake as his hair dye.

did it ruin it? once you notice it, ignore it.

otherwise, stellar movie.

its based on a true story. i was intrigued by it when it first released.

quick warning, contains:

gory knight action scenes with a broadsword
some sexual scenes
blood and guts
and ben affleck.

i bought this.

i actually bought this at target. 22 bucks.

it wasnt bad, but it wasnt the best either. one time watching so to speak. i only bought it because of the lady protagonist. good B flick kinda movie. leave your brain at the door. i mean gate.

anyways, im lending it to a friend so i can at least get my moneys worth.

next time im renting instead. tsk tsk tsk.

COPSHOP <- title.

The Unforgivable!!!

On Netflix.
Sandra Bullock and crew turn in solid performances all the way around.

Great flick and highly recommend.
sweet i was looking forward to this one.

on the bullock topic,

was birdbox any good?

Back