• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

To brush up for The Avengers, we watched Captain America last night. First time for my 12yo, wife liked it but said it was corny at times...Daniel (the 12yo) noted the severe lack of bass :happy-smileygiantred:

Just saw "The Never Ending Story" bought it for 5.00 at the Best Buy trade in sale. Saw this as a kid and loved the movie, but looking at it 30 years later, I can say that the movie has aged and not for the better. PQ was a tad too soft but they did a pretty good job with the audio. Not much in the surround but boy did they go hardcore with the bass in the movie. Some deep shaking of the keister in this one. I will say this movie is still very entertaining for the preteen set and is a good story but watching as an adult and seeing how far "effects" have come this was very tame in comparison. What surprised me was that this movie is a "Wolfgang Peterson" film (he wrote and directed this one). Worthy of 5.00 sure (but not by much) by today's standards. Though the GF commented throughout the movie that she wanted a "big doggie" (Falcor) didn't have the heart to tell her that it was a dragon even though they mention that in the movie.

^ Thor is my favorite (by the narrowest of margins over Iron Man) of the prequels to The Avengers...we watched it again last night as a warm up for today.

I liked Captain America the best, but I don't know if I really have a favorite as I liked them all. I'll have to re-watch them to know for sure.

I know Scarlett Johannsen is smoking hot as Black Widow.

Just finished watching Harry Potter movie #8, the big finish. Mow my kids have seen them all... Pretty decent movie overall, though dark of course.

My 8yo is currently reading book 5, and I'm (re)reading book 3 now. I like the movies, but I'm still a book lover at heart, there's just so much more there than any movie can completely get to.

:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

And it's Dumbledore, ya moron.

PaulyT said:
....I like the movies, but I'm still a book lover at heart, there's just so much more there than any movie can completely get to.

My wife's the same way. I have to remind her not to say anything when we go to the movies. She just finished the Hunger Games.

Now I know how that's going to end. :doh:

Yesfan70 said:
PaulyT said:
:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

And it's Dumbledore, ya moron.

LOL!
Easy on Matt. He suffers from shaken-adult syndrome. All that wall crumbling bass he frequently subjects himself to... look what happened to Ashley. :(

:laughing:

I love you Matt, you know that. :angelic-green:

War of the Arrows
513mtoMhulL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a Korean movie and basically it's a medieval version of 'Sniper' (starting Tom Berenger, 1993). I wouldn't have known it if it wasn't for a trailer I saw from other blu-ray discs and I'm glad I did.

The story takes place near the border (currently North Korea) of Korea and China back in early 1600s. A Korean family's wedding ceremony was interrupted by invading Manchurian brigade and many were kidnapped including the bride and groom. The bride's brother who happens to be a real good archer, goes after the kidnappers in an attempt to rescue them. The actions are very well choreographed and the camera work is fantastic. Dubbed in English 5.1 and the overall audio quality is pretty good. Surround sound of arrows flying by are cool. The scenes where the period corrected snipers go at each other were thrilling. Couple things I see as room for improvement were, they could have emphasized the threat or foresight of Manchurian invaders little bit at the beginning and the CGI of the tiger should have been better or use real tiger like they did in Gladiator. Because of those two, I give it 3 stars out of 5. As far as the actions go, 4.5 stars out of 5.

Yes, Matt, there are some deep bass and hottie Asian women.

PaulyT said:
:laughing:

I love you Matt, you know that. :angelic-green:

Now I'm real nervous about getting too drunk at the July GTG. :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk: I know your busting my chops Pauly, if it's one thing you should know about me, I am just as good at taking it as I am in dishing it out. :happy-smileygiantred:

PaulyT said:
Just finished watching Harry Potter movie #8, the big finish. Mow my kids have seen them all... Pretty decent movie overall, though dark of course.

My 8yo is currently reading book 5, and I'm (re)reading book 3 now. I like the movies, but I'm still a book lover at heart, there's just so much more there than any movie can completely get to.

Proud to say I have not seen, nor have interest in seeing any of the Potter films. :happy-smileygiantred:

walls said:
PaulyT said:

Proud to say I have not seen, nor have interest in seeing any of the Potter films. :happy-smileygiantred:

Ah, so what you're saying is, you're such a tremendous fan of the books with their fine imaginative detail, subtly interwoven plot elements, clever humor, and magnetic character development that you just can't bear to see Hollywood run roughshod over it all in order to dumb it down for the masses?

Yeah, I TOTALLY get that.

MatthewB said:
The movie had some of the best surround sound I've heard, (especially the car crash scene with the director of MI inside - when he first meets Jeremy Renner) granted the movie was so far over the top but I rather liked it as much as the first one (anything was better than the 2nd one though) but was glad to see that they mixed the movie is 7.1 sound. Despite the story it had some great "demo" scenes.

I have to agree about the AQ on MI:GP and the PQ is stellar as well. I remeber seeing in the theaters early on IMAX and was blown away and hope i would have the sam feeling once it was released on Blu-ray. I give the PQ a 10 and the AQ a 10 as well.

DIYer said:
War of the Arrows
513mtoMhulL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a Korean movie and basically it's a medieval version of 'Sniper' (starting Tom Berenger, 1993). I wouldn't have known it if it wasn't for a trailer I saw from other blu-ray discs and I'm glad I did.

The story takes place near the border (currently North Korea) of Korea and China back in early 1600s. A Korean family's wedding ceremony was interrupted by invading Manchurian brigade and many were kidnapped including the bride and groom. The bride's brother who happens to be a real good archer, goes after the kidnappers in an attempt to rescue them. The actions are very well choreographed and the camera work is fantastic. Dubbed in English 5.1 and the overall audio quality is pretty good. Surround sound of arrows flying by are cool. The scenes where the period corrected snipers go at each other were thrilling. Couple things I see as room for improvement were, they could have emphasized the threat or foresight of Manchurian invaders little bit at the beginning and the CGI of the tiger should have been better or use real tiger like they did in Gladiator. Because of those two, I give it 3 stars out of 5. As far as the actions go, 4.5 stars out of 5.

Yes, Matt, there are some deep bass and hottie Asian women.

Will have check this one out too, i remeber seeing the trailer but slipped my mind.

Right now I have

51TE3SJox3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

on deck to be watched for this weekend.

Back