• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

walls said:
Watched THE THING "remake" last night, despite the bad reviews I found it pretty entertaining. As a matter of fact if not for the just "OK" CGI the film was well done. Worth a rental anyways.

I thought it was pretty good.

If you can watch the John Carpenter version now after watching the new one . You only have to watch the first five minutes to see a solid connection between the two.

walls said:
Watched THE THING "remake" last night, despite the bad reviews I found it pretty entertaining. As a matter of fact if not for the just "OK" CGI the film was well done. Worth a rental anyways.
It's a prequel. I thought it was decent. I think those who gave this a bad rep were too hung up on JC's work. Sure, this one has many scenes that appear to be copy of JC's but as for the suspense (which this movie is all about), it did a decent job.

It even payed its dues with the soundtrack here and there.

And I know its a prequel lol.

Watched "War Horse" and wow what an incredible movie and have to say the battle scenes were just an overload to the aural sense. Just incredible use of surrounds and the panning effects from front to back and vice versa literally sounded like things were flying directly overhead of my house. Just some of the best audio in a movie I have heard and to me bested Master and Commander in audio effects and panning. Deep, deep bass gave my subs a real workout and overall a fantastic story. GF said afterwards, "we are Definatly buying this movie".

Also saw the remake of "The Thing" loved the prequel story and the homage to John Carpenters version. I liked it just as much as the original and say it compliments the other very well.

MatthewB said:
Also saw the remake of "The Thing" loved the prequel story and the homage to John Carpenters version. I liked it just as much as the original and say it compliments the other very well.

You liked it as much as the original? The 1951 version in which James Arness (Gunsmokes' Matt Dillion) played the Thing that looked like a giant carrot? :D

756bf460.jpg

I didn't think it was very good.

MatthewB said:
It sure does have lots of surround sound material and some @ss rumbling bass. I thought of you while watching it, Matt.

DIYer, watched The Thing right after War Horse so with how good the audio was in War Horse it overshadowed how good the audio was in The Thing.

648959.jpg

After having seen and liked the Swedish version, I was apprehensive to watch this version. But it was really well done. I guess the book lends itself to incredible films because both films were phenomenal. I'd give the American version the slight nod because of the language barrier... :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

3625_1a.jpg

This is a very big item on my Bucket List, and this low-budget DVD really has me intrigued...

Batman said:
648959.jpg

After having seen and liked the Swedish version, I was apprehensive to watch this version. But it was really well done. I guess the book lends itself to incredible films because both films were phenomenal. I'd give the American version the slight nod because of the language barrier... :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Just saw both versions within 5 day span and I must say, they are both good and hard to pick one. Each has advantage in some aspect over the other. 2011 version added some twist to the story which I thought was interesting however, 2009 version has better story telling method at the beginning, IMO.

Both girls are cute but 2011 version made her look too punk-ish which doesn't complement Rooney Mara's (younger sister of Kate Mara) looks.

Botch said:
3625_1a.jpg

This is a very big item on my Bucket List, and this low-budget DVD really has me intrigued...
Ive read a couple articles on the Alaska motorcycle trips...........BUCKET LISTED!! LOL!

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
51aGciMXeGL._SX500_.jpg

Very well done for action movie. Sure, there are many scenes that are technologically just too far fetched but that's what M. I. series was all about. It's as if they've got the suspense and action formula down. It moves at a good pace and the action choreography and editing were done very well. The audio quality is pretty good. By taking this movie for its established theme (TV and previous movie series), I would give it 4 stars out of 5. :handgestures-thumbupright: I don't like Tom Cruise in roles he has been put in most his movies but they didn't play him like a Superhero as much in this one so it worked out ok, thanks to adding Jeremy Renner.

Matt, it's got lots of @ss rumbling bass. :eusa-clap:

DIYer said:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
51aGciMXeGL._SX500_.jpg

Very well done for action movie. Sure, there are many scenes that are technologically just too far fetched but that's what M. I. series was all about. It's as if they've got the suspense and action formula down. It moves at a good pace and the action choreography and editing were done very well. The audio quality is pretty good. By taking this movie for its established theme (TV and previous movie series), I would give it 4 stars out of 5. :handgestures-thumbupright: I don't like Tom Cruise in roles he has been put in most his movies but they didn't play him like a Superhero as much in this one so it worked out ok, thanks to adding Jeremy Renner.

Matt, it's got lots of @ss rumbling bass. :eusa-clap:

We watched this one a couple nights ago and was also impressed.............

Saw a few parts at the GTG last weekend and John's Sub................................ :scared-yipes:

^ I tried to enjoy it while at Yromj's gtg, but ultilmately didn't like it. I found the action overly choreographed and much of the dialogue very cliché...eventually I fell asleep and missed most the third act...I won't be watching it anytime soon to see what I missed. I had high hopes too due to all the rave reviews.

Batman said:
I had high hopes too due to all the rave reviews.
That's the downside of tuning to reviews. I may read one review from a critic that I agree with but that's about it. Anymore tends to spoil a movie. Though in rare occasions, a lot of negative reviews helped me to enjoy a mediocre movie because my expectation was lowered so much. :cool:

The movie had some of the best surround sound I've heard, (especially the car crash scene with the director of MI inside - when he first meets Jeremy Renner) granted the movie was so far over the top but I rather liked it as much as the first one (anything was better than the 2nd one though) but was glad to see that they mixed the movie is 7.1 sound. Despite the story it had some great "demo" scenes.

Meh, there's plenty of GOOD movies with demo worthy material... :snooty:

Back