• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

I think if you quickly trolled the interwebz, many people prefer the Director/Final Cut over the original release. The studio forced "happy ending" and the bad narration/voice over by Ford are generally complaints by the Director and many fans.

Haywood said:
I've actually seen all three versions of the movie and own two of them.
I've actually seen 4 versions of the movie and own 3 of them. I guess that makes my opinion trumps yours? :think:

DIYer said:
Haywood said:
I've actually seen all three versions of the movie and own two of them.
I've actually seen 4 versions of the movie and own 3 of them. I guess that makes my opinion trumps yours? :think:

I think that means that we have both spent WAY too much time thinking about a 30 year-old sci-fi movie.

Haywood said:
I think that means that we have both spent WAY too much time thinking about a 30 year-old sci-fi movie.
There's nothing unusual about a good movie being seen multiple times in a span of 30 years and owning multiple discs, i.e., Star Wars.

as ive mentioned earlier, sad reality that i couldnt see either versions of this classic.

i think that we hold certain films dear to us based on objectivity and or sentimentality, all subjective to what is important to each of us. thats why we have different experiences with movies, and of course, opinions. obviously this one comes is a great example.

what i dont understand is how such a film was clocked in such length.

in both your opinions, did the time matter to develop the characters, explain the story better, or both?

for what its worth, watched prisoners recently with hugh jackman, great movie, but somewhat disturbing. it reaches to parents earlier in the movie, showing us our greatest fear, but then it turns in on itself, and focuses on what WE do, as parents reacting to it and back to our 'skeletons in our closet' thoughts.

also saw enders game. i had my reservations on this movie, but hearing it was a book read in american classes all throughout high school or what not, i was expecting a lot from this film. reactions about how it was 'painted' was a bit inconsistent apparently.

jomari said:
as ive mentioned earlier, sad reality that i couldnt see either versions of this classic.
You can for as low as $1.99. Link
in both your opinions, did the time matter to develop the characters, explain the story better, or both?
I believe it would be more enjoyable for you if you watch it without having the hints. This movie makes the viewers think afterwords.

i guess i can get this version,

http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Anniversar ... d_cp_mov_0

and take the time to watch all of them.

saw your original reply,

DIYer said:
^ The original theatrical version. At least that should be the one to watch first. Then if it interests you, try the director's cut (1996) and then the final cut (2007).

Wait a minute, jomari, are you saying that you haven't seen this movie either? :shock:

will follow that pattern... thanks!

Danny started this after dinner, I didn't even plan on watching it with him, glad I decided to, awesome flick! The train scene at the beginning was impressive!

51xblgRg8SL.jpg

Tonight watched "Ides of March" a great political thriller directed and starring George Clooney and Ryan Gosselling who plays a senior staff member helping Clooney win Presidency and it shows a great behind the scenes of what it takes to win an election. I heard very little about this movie but went to the library to load a bunch of movies on Vudu and the all star cast piqued my curiosity. Movie also stars Paul Giamatti and the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman in great supporting roles. Movie reminded me of a way darker "West Wing" episode but one I was glad I got to watch. The ending was one where it just ended and I was, "Noooooo what did he do". Very suspenseful political thriller and worth watching.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 224
Wow Matt I am a bit surprised how much our tastes align over your last several "reviews" :happy-smileygiantred:

Robocop-Poster.jpg

Managed to see this yesterday. I'm conflicted because on the SFX front, obviously it is very improved over the original. But while somewhat different, they didn't do enough to update the story. While the original was relentless, brutal, satirical and very graphic, this one seemed to miss the mark when it tried to be those things. There were a couple of Easter eggs and nods to the original. I was entertained, but having seen the original and now this, I have to ask if this remake was entirely necessary.

Yeah, it's a shame too. This type of remake HAS to be a home run or what's the point really. I'm fairly certain the studio wants to set up a franchise. I'm not sure I see that, now anyway. They have to do much better. This character, while slightly popular, doesn't have the lore or fan base of Star Wars, Batman, James Bond, etc, to crank out just average movies and expect people to keep lining up to see more films. This one needed people leaving the theater wanting more and "talking it up" like Batman Begins back in '05. Instead it's just another Total Recall.

Batman said:
this one seemed to miss the mark when it tried to be those things.
As walls mentioned, that's the effect of lowering the mpaa scale.
I have to ask if this remake was entirely necessary.
Of course it is, for the $$$ end of it. PG-13 is a dead giveaway.

^ yeah to a larger extent than I considered I suppose. I wanted to see it, if for nothing else, to compare it to the original. I hadn't ever once considered or checked the rating. Still though, I can't help but feel the same way. I'm not sure the movie even warrants all that deep a level of discussion honestly. It's an average to slightly above average action flick (maybe more if the predecessor never existed). After you see it, chime in again to this point, maybe you'll see my angle a little better.

Apparently the director was under a lot of duress from the studio. He is said to have had 9 out of his every 10 good ideas shot down at great regularity. What a missed opportunity, pretty much a top-level cast and a chance to produce a solid foundation for future sequels, now who knows...

Back