• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

This was late into last evening for us. All in all, I really enjoyed this. I feel Daniel Day-Lewis just nailed his character! As for me, I always enjoy Leonardo. IMO...an incredible actor!

m2155339.jpg

^^
I really enjoyed Gangs of New York too, despite the historical inaccuracies. Daniel Day-Lewis is simply an amazing actor (DiCaprio not so much IMHO).

Daniel Day Lewis just disappears into his roles in everything he does. I don't mind DiCaprio at all but he's not on DDL's level IMO. When I watch him I still see Leonardo DiCaprio. Kinda reminds me of when I watch Jack Nicholson or Johnny Depp. Their styles resonate similarly throughout nearly every role so much, that for me, I don't see them as the chameleons that other top actors are. Which is ironic for Depp since visually (as in make-up) he transforms so much from role to role.

Babs said:
This was late into last evening for us. All in all, I really enjoyed this. I feel Daniel Day-Lewis just nailed his character! As for me, I always enjoy Leonardo. IMO...an incredible actor!

That is a Favorite movie of mine.

My favorite Leo movie and may be one of his first. Just watched this a week ago one of the few I can see over and over.
51yMqOr7e-L.jpg

635199355686150560_The_Lego_Movie_Poster.jpg

LIGHT Spoilers

Okay this movie deserves every positive review it receives. It was perfectly cast, the stop-motion animation worked because of the Legos, it was hilarious, and it had a nice little moral message at the end, which hits home especially if you have kids...in fact if you watch closely you can see where they're gonna take the ending as there is a distinct point in the movie where they pretty much slap you in the face with the hint.

I think I was overexposed to all the promotion leading up to this movie. Because despite loving it I left a tad deflated. I think due to all of the positive buzz, Lego nostalgia, my fondness of the video games, Batman being featured heavily, etc, that I expected to have my mind blown and that's not what occurred. But that's okay it happens, last time was after Man of Steel. Joanna didn't go last night and really wants to go so perhaps seeing it the second time, I can see it for what it really is, which if nothing else, is highly entertaining.

^^^ Every critic I've read/heard had nothing but good to say about that flick.

EDIT: damn page wrap; I'm pointing at the Lego movie.

^ yup! it's currently at 95% at Rotten Tomatoes and hasn't wavered much at all since pre-release reviews started popping up.

Redboxed two movies today...

Kick-Ass 2 was better than expected. Not nearly as good as the first but not too bad.

Elysium was horrible, absolutely horrible. Easily in the top 10 of worst movies we've paid money to see. At least it was only $0.815 per person and the soundtrack was well done.

DIYer said:
Botch said:
images

Okay, tonight's the first time I've seen this flick, part of my <$10 bluray grab-bag this last xmas season.
It started out as an okay science-fiction flick, but kind've ended as a gothic horror flick. :shock: The Vangelis soundtrack was good (given the period) but I gotta admit I didn't know what the hell was going on towards the end (merlot's fault). Impressive, visually. Some fun "period" slips (don't know when this movie was originally made):
a. so many LA'ers smoking, in 2018???
b. covering yourself from the rain, with a paper newspaper, instead of an iPad? In 2018??
c. a skyscraper-high Coca-cola ad, I get. But on only one skyscraper??? Heh!
d. oh wait, there's a "Pan Am" ad in the background! Who?
e. Continuous rain throughout the movie? in LA? Oh yeah, global warming by 2018.
f. There is no (f)

Its fun to see the obsolete portions of my dad's sci-fi books that I devoured in my late teens/early 20's ("Set course for Sector 9-3!" and the ensigns whip out their slide rules…) but seeing some things so out of date, in a movie made in my own lifetime…. ouch. :|
I missed your post for some reason. :doh:

Uh..., Botch, this was the quintessential sci-fi movie of the 80's (The Matrix being the one for the 90's). Where have you been? Unless you're not into this genre. BTW, there have been 2 different cuts of this movie since the original release. The one you saw (final cut) isn't what the idea this movie was meant to be. It's a butchered version of it and has lost its potency. The original version is available in the market but now that you've seen the butchered one first, it may not work. You can still try it though.

I think the Director's Cut is the best version of the movie, although the voice-over in the theatrical added to the film noir feel of the film. It did not age entirely well due to the very 80s hair and make-up mixed up with the retro-40s look. Still, I think Rutger Hauer's soliloquy (ships on fire off the shores of Orion, etc) is one of the coolest bits I've seen in a sci-fi flick. Then there is the irony of realizing that Decker himself is a replicant. Great movie. One of my faves.

I've been buying movies faster than I can watch them and have been reading some of the comments about some of the movies I have in the queue. Hopefully, I can catch up after the Olympics. Unless I end up moving.

Haywood said:
I think the Director's Cut is the best version of the movie, although the voice-over in the theatrical added to the film noir feel of the film. It did not age entirely well due to the very 80s hair and make-up mixed up with the retro-40s look. Still, I think Rutger Hauer's soliloquy (ships on fire off the shores of Orion, etc) is one of the coolest bits I've seen in a sci-fi flick. Then there is the irony of realizing that Decker himself is a replicant. Great movie. One of my faves.
There are two long drawn out threads over at AVS regarding what Deckard is supposed to be. Despite the person who started one of the threads, they have lots of input on why it ruins the movie by changing / butchering (by Ridley Scott) what was already established.

DIYer said:
Haywood said:
There are two long drawn out threads over at AVS regarding what Deckard is supposed to be. Despite the person who started one of the threads, they have lots of input on why it ruins the movie by changing / butchering (by Ridley Scott) what was already established.

There is an equally passionate contingency that thinks the Director's Cut is superior. This is one of the Great Geek Controversies.

Hansel and Gretal Witch Hunters

Ok this is definitely a turn your brain off kind of film, but it's a damn fun turn your brain off kind of film, lol. Much more violent and bloody then I expected and very nicely paced.
Great effects and pic and sound as well.

walls said:

Ok this is definitely a turn your brain off kind of film, but it's a damn fun turn your brain off kind of film, lol. Much more violent and bloody then I expected and very nicely paced.

My family loved it. Very campy. Lots of fun. Never tried to take itself seriously or pretend to be something it isn't.

walls said:

I'm in the same boat, entertaining and laugh out loud funny at times, BUT zero replay value.

DIYer said:
Haywood said:
There is an equally passionate contingency that thinks the Director's Cut is superior.
Superior over Final Cut? Interesting. Got any links?

I was thinking about the Director's Cut vs the original and the discussions I'm referring two happened over a 20+ year period, not recently.

Haywood said:
I was thinking about the Director's Cut vs the original and the discussions I'm referring two happened over a 20+ year period, not recently.
There were no internet forums 20 years ago so it would be hard to count the hands raised. :(

If you are referring to the theme of the movie, then maybe if the movie was made that way originally. But as for the actual content delivered, it's a different talk. Ridley Scott piecemeal the existing movie in an attempt to change the theme and ended up butchering the end product itself.

Spoiler alert.

An eerie coincidence to Ridley Scott's attempt, in the chapter where Dr. Eldon Tyrell tells Roy Batty, "Coding sequence cannot be revise once it's been established", "like rats leaving the sinking ship, then the ship sinks". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNprUC1ncko

Back