• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who sits down and listens to music?

This thread motivated me to carve out a little time this afternoon, to listen to an entire album (case/lang/veirs). I, too, need to do this more often.

I just remember how incredibly important music was to my life and soul when I was young. It made me work super hard to become a decent musician, I studied its reproduction and worked in that field a bit, and I have dedicated massive amounts of time and money to it. I see other people from my generation say they also care about it, spend money to do it, but then almost never make it a priority to actually do it. It is sad.

Just finished watching / listening to Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene: Live in Your Living Room (2007) (DD 5.1 DVD) in its entirety.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just remember how incredibly important music was to my life and soul when I was young. It made me work super hard to become a decent musician, I studied its reproduction and worked in that field a bit, and I have dedicated massive amounts of time and money to it. I see other people from my generation say they also care about it, spend money to do it, but then almost never make it a priority to actually do it. It is sad.

I listen to a lot of music, however most of it is while I am working at the computer or doing something in the "media" room. If I do sit and relax in front of my speakers with a cd usually I read at the same time. I enjoy the music and enjoy reading. Does double dipping count?

Got to spend 4 hours of music time with a little system thrown together, at this months River City Audio Society's meeting. Denon TT, Rega CDP, Threshold amp, DIY pre and Infinity Prelude MTS speakers.
rcas111817.jpg

Dude... You need to remedy that.

He's got me beat. I can't remember the last time I sat down to listen to music. My HT/bar area has become a junk room (again). My home brewing has even be affected.

I'm loving the extra money OT has been given me this year, but it has put a dent in my leisure time with my hobbies.

I'm nursing my back after tweaking it yesterday moving speakers. So, today it's sit back, relax and listen to some music in a darken room. Here is a quick 1 minute snippet of Horace Silver - Sister Sadie on an original Blue Note recording.

Plan to spend some of Thursday, and Saturday doing some tunes. Friday and Sunday is driving.

Ok replaying the American Music Awards in 5.1 and in 2 channel.

Last edited:
The Zombies' Odessey & Oracle (1968), stereo mix, start to finish.

I don't often get a chance to sit and listen and when I do it's usually with my IEM's or headphones. My HT/main listening area is shared with the kids play area/mini stick rink and it's usually when they are playing that I'd have the opportunity. I guess I probably only get a chance to listen to a whole album while traveling to a kids hockey game and playing the music on the car stereo. Though, it's a Bose system, so the experience is quite immersive....

A question I'd like to add, what are you listening to? I find I gravitate back to the same artsists over and over and the albums are most often from the 80's or earlier. I'm finding it hard to discover a lot of more modern albums that are worth a listen. Is that nostalgia or a sign of the modern music world? Things I was thinking of this weekend as I drove to and from my kids hockey games listening to Pink Floyd "Animals" on the way to the game and "wish You Were Here" on the way home.

Popular music is a lot more derivative than in the past, basically regurgitating acts from earlier years. Makes for somewhat boring music since the original acts did it better. Not to say there isn't some original stuff because there is some excellent new and original material out there, but its in the minority.

I find myself gravitating towards the music I grew up on and not seeing much in the new music area that I dig. I like some of it, but I always tend to prefer the stuff I grew up on and cut my teeth on. Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and the like.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN PUNK KIDS!!!!

I am all over the place. I love the music I grew up with, but I also discover tons of great music all the time, often posting those artists in the music section here if I think you guys might like them. I think part of the problem is the way we discover music these days. Radio is terrible, streaming playlists like Spotify and Pandora can really suck at introducing new music, and there is so damn many wannabe artists publishing music who should really focus on their day jobs that it seems there isn't anything great coming out anymore. Back in the day we had a very aggressive filtering process which limited what we were exposed to, and we have critical music critics all around us in the form of DJs who curated their own playlists and lots of great venues introducing us to new artists. Find what we might soon love was pretty easy because we were exposed to already filtered new music, and the selection at the record stores was relatively limited compared to today.

I am dismayed that so many have given up hope on finding great new artists and albums because without financial support we won't have any new genius acts like we did in the 70s.

I like how Zappa said it -

Well, Beethoven hasn't written anything new in almost 200 years, so really there's no point in looking anymore, is there?

That's gold Huey!

I haven't seen many but I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Zappa that didn't make me think a bit and smile.

To some of the other points, and I think this has come up before, the way we "consume" music is very different. 20 years ago if I liked a song I had to buy an album with the song and I was almost forced to listen to the other music on the album. Now I can easily just buy the song. Has that changed the way that artists compose music? Can anyone imagine nearly any Pink Floyd album being released today? They weren't just a collection of songs, they were albums. There are many artists that were the same. Now Taylor Swifts next SINGLE is what people are excited about. Well, some people.

Another question, does anyone have suggestions for great albums/artists released in the last 5 years? 10 years?

Back