• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who's watching American Idol and The Voice?

koufax65 said:
Another winner from the Voice that will never be heard from again.

Yes indeed.

516kIwtve3L.jpg

Rope

The obligatory one CD then get dropped by the label. Think of all the people on AI and the rest of these imitators and you can count on one hand the ones that have been successful in a big way. Yet you listen to these "judges" and they will all have "great careers". Idol is hard to watch any more with the crap these judges spew out." Greatest ever!" Right.

Successful careers from Idol off the top of my head: Kelly Clarkson, Kellyie Pickler, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, Adam Lambert, David Cook, Phantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Jordan Sparks, Scotty McCreery. There have also been a bunch of them who have launched successful careers on broadway and several from last year that just released promising first albums. Several have done well in niche markets, like Christian Contemporary. A few had a couple big selling albums before fizzling.

I would not say that the show doesn't have a good track record. There are usually a few from each season that get a workable career out of it, even if only a handful become pop superstars.

I would add the following caveat regarding The Voice: they just concluded their second season (American Idol is on what..their 11th?).

I think it's a bit ignorant and short-sighted to claim anything regarding success (or lack thereof) for contestants of a show that's just barely two seasons old.

Which begs the question; where would their careers as performing artists be if it weren't for Idol, or Voice?

Rope

I agree on giving it time. Once the show finale has concluded, it's gonna take a good year for the artist to create, record, mix, advertise and sell an album. Then the public will start to decide if they will stick around as a one time wonder or make a career of it.
American Idol certainly has a LOT of singers from EVERY season that are still making it big. I have a lot of past Idol contestants on my regular play list.

Your idea of "success" is a little lacking to say the least. Kelly Pickler? Having a second of success after being in the spotlight for weeks is to be expected. Real success was what i was talking about. Even the list you gave is a fraction of even the top ten of the 11 years of the show. Lots of them playing county fairs every year I'm sure. "Former Idol cast member" Not really success.

If releasing three albums in 6 years is only "having a second of success" then I'll take a nanosecond. Pickler has done very well for herself since AI.

Just saying'...

koufax65 said:
Your idea of "success" is a little lacking to say the least. Kelly Pickler? Having a second of success after being in the spotlight for weeks is to be expected. Real success was what i was talking about. Even the list you gave is a fraction of even the top ten of the 11 years of the show. Lots of them playing county fairs every year I'm sure. "Former Idol cast member" Not really success.

Am I missing something? I apologize if I'm wrong, but a lot of your posts come off in a very condescending manner.

koufax65 said:

How do you measure success?

Rope

Apparently not this?!?!

Kelly Clarkson - 5 albums in 9 years, all hitting top three in the US Charts.
Chris Daughtry - 3 albums in 6 years, all hitting top two in the US charts.
Carrie Underwood - 4 albums in 7 years, all hitting #1 US Country Charts

No-L said:
Apparently not this?!?!

Damn, I wish country was my cup of tea. I'd take two large helping of Carrie Underwear and Sarah Evans on the same day. :banana-dance:

Rope

*EDIT*
Pickler too!!!

Rope said:
No-L said:
Apparently not this?!?!

Damn, I wish country was my cup of tea. I'd take two large helping of Carrie Underwear and Sarah Evans on the same day. :banana-dance:

Rope

*EDIT*
Pickler too!!!

Sounds fantastic, but Pickler would have to wear a ballgag!! Add a helping of Faith Hill for dessert!

No-L said:
Rope said:
No-L said:
Apparently not this?!?!

Rope

*EDIT*
Pickler too!!!

Sounds fantastic, but Pickler would have to wear a ballgag!! Add a helping of Faith Hill for dessert!

She won't need no stinking ball-gage. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

koufax65 said:

3 albums totaling 1.4 million in sales and 8 songs in the CMT Top 50 (7 in the Top 30) plus numerous awards is not exactly a flash in the pan. She's not Carrie Underwood, but she's making a living.

Success for a musician is being able to make a living doing music, not necessarily getting wealthy. Most musicians are never able to do that. The world is full of excellent musicians working a day job and playing bars on weekends.

Back