• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Zing's New (Mismatched) Center Channel

So, some thoughts on Zing's system after spending some time with it - my current set of evaluation tracks, plus various other stuff that Zing played.

First, what has always struck me about this system is how *deep* the soundstage is. It was true with the Swans, and just as much with the Dyns, so it's not necessarily a speaker thing, but rather an effect of the room and its acoustics and treatments. That is, there's a sense of the material in the center being further back (away from the listener) than things coming from all the way to the left or right. I don't know if this has anything at all to do with the actual recordings, but it's a cool effect. However, there are times when e.g. a vocalist or something in the center "pops" out in a more forward way. It's really fun! Not sure how Zing managed to get this effect, perhaps because his speakers are much further out into the room and away from the front wall, compared to my HT.

Second, it was immediately obvious to me that the bass response in Zing's system is way better than mine. Yeah we spent a lot of time tinkering with and tweaking the setup of the subs, which was also fun and educational for me. (Zing taught me the trick of playing a tone at the crossover frequency to adjust the phase, to maximize output.) It's not necessarily that my gear can't produce the low frequencies (although I definitely don't have the SPL output at <40Hz). But rather that notes in, say, a string bass solo track tend to go up and down a bit in volume/resonance in my room, whereas in Zing's they were more even. The RTA curves for our rooms both have that dip around 50-60 Hz, probably a room shape thing as the dimensions of our HTs are somewhat similar - though his is open in the back and side. (My room is exactly wrong for acoustics - a nice even multiple 8x12x16.) Anyway, for music Zing's system's bass is really very good. We didn't do much of any movie watching where there was true LFE material, I'm sure his output is 10x what my system can do in that regard.

Stereo imaging was excellent, left-to-right; sounds in the mix could be readily identified positionally across the width of the sound stage. I think my HT may have the slight edge here, in the sense of the overall width of the sound it produces, whereas Zing's has more depth as I mentioned above. Again, may have more to do with speaker locations and such, I'm not sure. But when the mix got really full with a lot of instruments (e.g. Rod-y-Gab's Hanuman track), there wasn't quite as much left-to-right separation and space as I get in my speakers. Not a huge difference, but this track didn't blow me away as much as it has before (in particular, on CMonster's C1s). But on stuff with intimate vocals especially (like Norah Jones, Painter's Song), it was wonderful. The depth of the soundstage with the forward vocals was really nice.

Didn't do a lot of surround listening, so I won't comment on that. I know Zing wants to upgrade his surrounds, but he's even more constrained in size/location than I am - in my case a window, in his case the open area with no wall in the back right.

As Zing mentioned, we experimented with a little EQ to tweak some of the peaks in the RTA response as shown above. There was a bit of an upswing of the response at >~16kHz in the curve, so we took it down a lot there in the EQ. But when listening to some of my demo tracks, I felt there was definitely something missing in the HF sounds like cymbal ticks, chimes, other little things that happen up there. When we turned off the EQ, it was fine. And I wasn't sensitive enough to notice the difference in the one (or two?) other places we had tweaked the EQ.

Now, Zing wanted to play with seating position forward and back. We demo'ed material in both the "optimal" sweet spot where his center chair is placed, which I assume is pretty close to the standard equilateral triangle with the speakers. But then we'd also sit in a chair right in front of that, so about 2-3' forward. Zing - as I understand what he said - liked the greater stereo separation this imparted. I tried it and yes, it gave a presentation that to my ears sounded almost more like headphones, more "in your head" than a soundstage in front of you. (Not all the way like headphones of course, but that's the only way I can describe the difference.) Honestly, I didn't care for this. I thought it also messed up the tonal balance, things seemed too bright, and I kinda lost the sense of the center of the soundstage, everything was either left or right. Note that I get sort of this same impression in the front vs. middle rows in Batman's theater, also with Dyns, where for stereo music listening I prefer the second row. May have something to do with the location of the tweeters underneath the woofers, and needing to be a certain minimum distance away for them to blend well? Don't know for sure, just speculating there. But I didn't think Zing's contours sounded as good that close in. It was kind of a neat effect in a way, but overall it was more balanced in the traditional sweet spot position.

On a purely aesthetic level, those piano black contours with the brushed steel front baffles are KILLER. Some of the nicest looking speakers I've ever seen!

The bottom line to me is this: That system is AWESOME!! It's the kind that inspires to pour a glass of my favorite beverage, grab my lady's hand, play some tunes, and enjoy life. Congrats on a job well done my friend!

John

yromj said:
The bottom line to me is this: That system is AWESOME!! It's the kind that inspires to pour a glass of my favorite beverage, grab my lady's hand, play some tunes, and enjoy life. Congrats on a job well done my friend!

John

I beg to differ.

The bottom line is Zing sucks.

If a statement was true when made but is now no longer true, is that statement now a lie?

giphy.gif

I may recycle the Swans for surround duty. Really. I mean that. I did not buy new surround speakers. Really. I mean that too.
Since I sold the Swans last year, I really had no choice but to buy new speakers for surround duty. And it seems I may have quite possibly scored the last pair* of Focus 160s.

*In this case, 'pair' is rather subjective. All that was left was a single 160 in Walnut and another single in black ash. So I may be adopting a page from the @CMonster book and DIY a matching finish. We'll see. They arrive later today.

...That is, there's a sense of the material in the center being further back (away from the listener) than things coming from all the way to the left or right. I don't know if this has anything at all to do with the actual recordings, but it's a cool effect...

I have found this effect to be largely a eye-ear-brain trick. In situations where the wall is significantly far behind the plane of the speakers, at least my brain, sounds coming from the center or off-center seem to be coming from around that far wall area. There seems to be a curve which starts at the left speaker, recedes to the front wall, and arcs back forward to the right speaker.

And yes, it is a cool effect which gives recordings "depth". However I've found this effect goes away when I turn off the lights and make the room pitch-dark where I cannot see the speakers or front wall.

I presently have my speakers about 6 feet from the front wall, since I rarely watch movies in my room anymore; just stereo music.

Since I sold the Swans last year, I really had no choice but to buy new speakers for surround duty. And it seems I may have quite possibly scored the last pair* of Focus 160s.

*In this case, 'pair' is rather subjective. All that was left was a single 160 in Walnut and another single in black ash. So I may be adopting a page from the @CMonster book and DIY a matching finish. We'll see. They arrive later today.

Those are some nice speakers! You definitely suck!

That is, there's a sense of the material in the center being further back (away from the listener) than things coming from all the way to the left or right. I don't know if this has anything at all to do with the actual recordings, but it's a cool effect
I have found this effect to be largely a eye-ear-brain trick. In situations where the wall is significantly far behind the plane of the speakers, at least my brain, sounds coming from the center or off-center seem to be coming from around that far wall area. There seems to be a curve which starts at the left speaker, recedes to the front wall, and arcs back forward to the right speaker.

And yes, it is a cool effect which gives recordings "depth". However I've found this effect goes away when I turn off the lights and make the room pitch-dark where I cannot see the speakers or front wall.

Do you think the two-foot-deep "hole" that is a fireplace aids in this depth trick?

Do you think the two-foot-deep "hole" that is a fireplace aids in this depth trick?
Could be. Anything that looks like depth could possibly be heard as depth. You might try the test of making the room pitch black and seeing if the "depth" effect persists.

Related to the mind trick you mentioned, I've been experiencing this for years. I'd put in your standard 2-channel stereo CD and each and every time I'd end up looking over my shoulder to make sure the Pre/pro said "stereo" and not some multichannel soundfield because the vocals (as well as drums and bass most of the time) were so rock solid anchored to the center, they seemed like they were coming out of my center channel speaker.

Thinking that the sight of the center speaker was influencing what I was hearing and where I was hearing it, I used to cover it with a black blanket which would disappear into the black fireplace behind it. This helped but only on the visual front. Where I was hearing the sound didn't change at all. Other times, I would remove the center speaker entirely. Again, the visual trickery was gone but it didn't seem to change the sound's location.

Maybe this is exists because, like you, my speakers are about 6 feet away from the front wall.

Related to the mind trick you mentioned, I've been experiencing this for years. I'd put in your standard 2-channel stereo CD and each and every time I'd end up looking over my shoulder to make sure the Pre/pro said "stereo" and not some multichannel soundfield because the vocals (as well as drums and bass most of the time) were so rock solid anchored to the center, they seemed like they were coming out of my center channel speaker.

Thinking that the sight of the center speaker was influencing what I was hearing and where I was hearing it, I used to cover it with a black blanket which would disappear into the black fireplace behind it. This helped but only on the visual front. Where I was hearing the sound didn't change at all. Other times, I would remove the center speaker entirely. Again, the visual trickery was gone but it didn't seem to change the sound's location.

Maybe this is exists because, like you, my speakers are about 6 feet away from the front wall.

Solid "phantom" center speaker imaging is relatively easy for any speaker to do as long as their frequency responses are close and the two speakers are in polarity - visual has little to do with this. What is a bit harder is to have the sound pan back and forth between the speakers about 2/3rd the way to each side and for it to still be as rock-solid as it was when it was dead center. If your room acoustics are symmetrical and otherwise good, your speakers should be able to do this too.

The illusion that the sound is originating behind the plane of the speakers is more the visual illusion when the wall is far back, and this illusion is helped (especially in classical music recordings) when the instruments near the center have more reverb "distance" such as a snare drum way the fuck at the back of the orchestra, deep in reverb.

Of course there is also the imaging which is added by head-related-transfer-function type processing which can throw sound way out into the room and even behind the listener. This type of processing alters the instruments and vocals which are to be panned outside the speaker's plane in the same way that the pinnae of a human's ear would process the same sound if it were originating where the engineer is panning that sound. This process is called different things such as "virtual surround" etc. I have rarely heard this type of processing make the sound seem to be coming from far forward behind the plane of the speakers though. Usually its out into the room imaging.

The Moody Blue's "Days of Future Passed" album did a crude form of this type of imaging using the technology which was available back then.

Last edited:
My bad. Hazards of posting while drinking.

I didn't mean to emphasize the imaging thing. I think we've all experienced that. I was attempting to address your depth explanation. In my particular case, the fireplace cavity is directly behind the center speaker. So if the speaker is in place, the brain will trick you into thinking sound is coming from it. With the speaker removed, the sound seems to come from within the fireplace.

Back