• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Zing's New (Mismatched) Center Channel

A song I always try to demo is Keb Mo's "Soon as I get paid." I suppose I favor this track because of the intense percussion aspect (kick drum!) of the recording, Keb Mo is great, and I like Folk/Blues music. There are many passages that you can get a feel for throughout without wrestling with it being overly busy (until the end). I try to do the same thing with Basia's "Till you come back to me." I characterize her voice tone as almost clinical/mechanical, which is fun to listen to on different speakers. Try some Leo Kottke, like "Strange."

I'm certain I have that Keb Mo' track as I have every one of his albums. I'll be sure to give that a listen.

And speaking of Keb Mo', I think we all know how fantastic sounding his self titled album is. Well, I took a leap of faith last year and double dipped on the MoFi release of that album. This is not a case where they simply cleaned up an old recording and reissued it. It's somehow more 'real' sounding. It has a presence to it that really does sound like he's sitting in front you singing and strumming his guitar.

In short, if you think the CD sounds good, you will not be disappointed in the MoFi SACD. It's clearly worth the double dip.

Keb%20mo.jpg

I don't have golden ears, but Hella Good by No Doubt has always sounded well on my system. I'm trying to think of the song, but Men at Work have a song that has certain parts of the song that almost seem to be originating in the middle of the room. I think it's the song It's a Mistake.

Bon Iver's Minnesota, WI (I think the entire self titled album is amazing) is one of my goto tracks for imaging. Another one is MGMT's Of Birds, Moons & Monsters...

Some dude in a brown truck, wearing a matching brown shirt and matching brown shorts handed me a box this afternoon. Look what I found inside it.

61s0DFCpVoL._SY355_.jpg

large4939.jpg

81ayi4ovmcL._SY355_.jpg

r_frcy2xv35jswd908khnp.jpg

MI0003789655.jpg

If you're wondering who Danielle Nicole is, you already know. I'm guessing Nicole is her middle name because that's the fabulous Danielle Schnebelen from Trampled Under Foot.

Zing said:
Some dude in a brown truck, wearing a matching brown shirt and matching brown shorts handed me a box this afternoon. Look what I found inside it.

61s0DFCpVoL._SY355_.jpg

large4939.jpg

81ayi4ovmcL._SY355_.jpg

r_frcy2xv35jswd908khnp.jpg

MI0003789655.jpg

If you're wondering who Danielle Nicole is, you already know. I'm guessing Nicole is her middle name because that's the fabulous Danielle Schnebelen from Trampled Under Foot.

Steven Wilson is pretty amazing. His new one took me a couple of times through but I really like it. Slightly less depressing than Raven.

Another recommendation: the eponymous CD by Mino Cinelu, and in particular the song "Confians." Listening to it right now. Lesser speakers (and headphones) run home with their cables between their legs!

Jeff

Zing said:
I may have neglected to mention that my mismatched front stage is not because of the Dynaudio center channel and Swan mains but because of the Focus 210C center and the brand spankin' new Contour S 3.4 LE mains.

:happy-smileygiantred:

Full.jpg

^ This is a sweet set up, listening to...
134358-a.jpg

Oh no...........

I see smoke... :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

Bumpity :text-bump: :text-bump:

While waiting for the police to arrive yesterday, Paul and I got our geek on and Paul was successfully able to get my TrueRTA working again (it's still unknown what the specific problem was but it was obviously user error related).

As ugly as it is, it could be a whole lot uglier. I suppose the 20Hz-20kHz +/- 8dB response isn't the worst response in the world.

Thanks again, Paul. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Last edited:
The general shape of that response curve is really good. Like my system and Altec's system, the response is generally flat with a downward tilt going from low frequencies to high frequencies where the top octave is about 5dB SPL lower than the lowest octave. Very good, indeed! I imagine the overall tone is clear, uncolored, and easy on the ears. That allows for hours and hours of listening pleasure without listening fatigue or irritation. Also, the little bump above 15,000Hz will add that touch of whiz-bang, sharpity sharp to increase the perception of clarity, but not so much as to be terribly harsh. I would reduce the treble bump with an EQ, but most would not, which is fine.

Is that for both speakers or for the left or right?

It is impossible to get a good curve from both channels simultaneously, though I have measured that way many times. I find measuring 5 curves from each channel with the mic slightly moved around the location of the listener's head for each pair of measurements them averaging all 10 curves together gets a more accurate representation of what you are actually hearing.

Flint said:
Is that for both speakers or for the left or right?
It was from just one speaker and, frankly, I don't remember which one.

The entire session wasn't exactly an efficient and smooth process. I had recently tweaked the position of the subs as well as repositioned the speakers nearly a foot closer to the listening position and subsequently further away from the subs thus throwing off the phase. So we started from scratch. Phase, output leveling and then measuring all while being interrupted for 20 minutes on 3 separate occasions.

Now that I have a working RTA setup again, I'll be doing some playing around in the coming days but I was itching to "see" what I'm hearing with the Contours.

I guess it was the fact the he said he'd remove "the" treble bump as opposed to saying "that" treble bump that made me think he was referring to a different treble bump. Further, I guess 1700Hz isn't treble anyway. So, disregard.
:text-imsorry:

If it were me, I would use a shelf EQ for treble and set the F3 to 16Khz and cut about 3 - 5 dB. I would test -5dB for about a week then start raising it 1dB per week and decide when it seems obvious the treble a little bright.

Back