• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saldog / Renate New House in OKC

Awesome Upgrade SalDog!

I respectfully disagree because of the way they hang off the front. I haven't heard the HSU but I bet they're fantastic.
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. Like Zing, because they blend in with the mantle colour wise , me likey!!

I didn't notice the overhang. My opinion was based solely on how well the speaker blended with the trim.

Yeah, the HSUs are much less deep than the other two. If pushed all the way back, the KEF don't have to overhang (maybe the grills would slightly). Moot point, as Renate thought they looked too modern in that room, and preferred the hardwood veneers of the HSUs and the HTDs.

So, as I was looking I noticed they were all up against the back wall. So are the different models ported or sealed and if ported are thy front ported.

I could easily research this myself but I am buried at work and only get ot devote teenie bits of time to my hobbies. Damnit work has really been getting in the way of my fun!

Damnit work has really been getting in the way of my fun!

You gotta fix that man.
Have you ever seen a headstone that said;
"Here lies XXX.
Wishes he had done more work and had less fun."?

Me neither

You gotta fix that man.
Have you ever seen a headstone that said;
"Here lies XXX.
Wishes he had done more work and had less fun."?

Me neither

I know, I get it, I totally get it. I'm working on it. Just a really busy time of year and we have been behind but catching up.

So, as I was looking I noticed they were all up against the back wall. So are the different models ported or sealed and if ported are thy front ported.

I could easily research this myself but I am buried at work and only get ot devote teenie bits of time to my hobbies. Damnit work has really been getting in the way of my fun!

I was initially only looking at sealed or front-ported for that reason (both HTD and Kef are front-ported). The HSUs are rear-ported, but they have ~3" behind them, and i haven't noticed any ill effects. Plus i'm crossing over to the sub at 100hz, so that probably helps.

So we're putting together a backyard theater as i mentioned in my WTB post. No pictures yet, and it's supposed to rain all weekend, but i'll post pics once we get to try things out. So far, we have:

Projector: Optoma EH500 (1080p, 4700 lumens!)
Screen: Camp Chef OS-144 144" screen
Source: PS3
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600 (circa 2002; will have to use optical to get 5.1 signal)
Speakers: Two pairs of Siming bookshelves (clones of Dayton B652s), plus two Polk satellites i bought from Zing years ago
A cart to hold things and keep them organized. I also had to buy more speaker wire, as i was out, and the front 3 speakers will be ~20 feet in front of the receiver

So far i'm all in less than $500 spent (not counting the sunk costs of the PS3, receiver, and Polk satellites).

So a question: we're used to watching movies with my PSA S3000i calibrated 6db above Audyssey's recommendation, inside. I feel like the video will be enjoyable, but with basically no sound <100hz out of my smallish speakers, i'm afraid we'll be disappointed. So, since we're outside, i'm wondering if a "pro sound" sub would be appropriate here; something that is tuned for max SPL from 50 - 120 hz, without worrying about the lowest octaves? Something like this Behringer (which is 15% off today, making it $255)? Thoughts? I realize i'd have to buy an RCA -> XLR adapter.

Bass outside is tough. Remember, if you come close to what you are used to getting indoors, you may have problems with your neighbors and HOA if you have one.

Plus, it will still beat the hell out of the drive in with that crappy little metal speaker hooked onto the window.

And still love that house!!!

Yeah, i wouldn't expect anything like inside, but just something to fill out bottom end so you can feel *something*. Maybe i'll just check out CL and see what i could find for <$100. Since it'd be placed near the seating area, its effect would be felt, i think.

There's a market for lawn chairs with Butt-Kickers, maybe... :D

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much bass you will get out of even a mid-range sub outdoors. Certainly more than enough for your outdoor set up.

I might be one of the few members who has decent size outdoor speakers (Paradigm Rock Monitor 80-SM). Set on the ground at opposite sides of my 50' wide backyard, they produce noticeably solid bass, even though their frequency response is given as +/- 2 dB from 63 Hz to 20 kHz. My point being that if they can do it, with but a 7 1/2" woofer, I imagine that something like a 12" sub rated down into the mid-20s should be equally impressive.

Jeff

Well, picked up a Polk PSW110 off Craigslist for $50. In good condition, and it works flawlessly. It's certainly no PSA or SVS, but it'll get the job done. I think the last thing i need is a projector stand. It's going to need to be on fairly uneven ground, or maybe even the steps leading up to the back patio, so i might get this.

I did a test setup Friday night before the rain came in. We had fun watching Antman on it, and although things weren't aligned properly, and i only had 3.0 sound, it was fun. Pic with flash on:
35731550284_c85f63d5e4_c.jpg

I'm insanely jealous. I've been talking about doing something similar for years but, as I am the king of failing to follow-through, I still haven't done it.

Bonus pic of the new "woofer" in our house:
36172756220_536906a9f9_c.jpg
@saldog And how does SHE(?) feel about the outdoor theater??? Haha! Seriously, very cute! I guessed she because I noticed the belly, and the pink collar. Boxer?? They don't have a black gene. A black boxer, I believe, indicates dark brindle in color. Regardless, too sweet!

@saldog And how does SHE(?) feel about the outdoor theater??? Haha! Seriously, very cute! I guessed she because I noticed the belly, and the pink collar. Boxer?? They don't have a black gene. A black boxer, I believe, indicates dark brindle in color. Regardless, too sweet!

She (Luna) laid down with the kids for a little outside while the movie was on. In general, she just wants to be where we are. She's a rescue, so we don't know for sure, but they were fairly sure she's half black lab, and half pit bull terrier. Definitely has the short hair and shorter snout of a terrier, but already plays fetch like a retriever!

Back